PDA

View Full Version : Virginia's search for a backup point guard

Olympic Fan
05-10-2014, 10:07 AM
JD King brings up an interesting point on the front page of DBR -- Virginia's pursuit of Maryland transfer Seth Allen makes little sense ... at least from Allen's point of view.

But it highlights one interesting development -- Tony Bennett's frantic search for another point guard.

It's not just Allen. Virginia pursued former App State signee Devonte Graham hard (he ended up at Kansas). The Cavs were a finalist for former Tulsa signee Mitch Wilbekin (who followed Danny Manning to Wake Forest). He's reportedly involved with former Wake signee Shelden Mitchell.

Why the frantic search for another point guard?

Virginia did lose little-used backup Tevin Jones (I think that's the guy), but he was no factor last season. The point would seem to be in good hands with London Perrantes as a starter, plus Malcolm Brodgen available as a backup -- he actually started at point early last season. I know he's better off the ball, but as a 5-10 minute a game backup, he should be fine.

But Bennett is scrambling as if he has a real problem ... it makes me curious. Does he know something we don't?

Bob Green
05-10-2014, 10:39 AM
But Bennett is scrambling as if he has a real problem ... it makes me curious. Does he know something we don't?

Perhaps Bennett is responding to an issue, or potential issue, not known to the public. There are a couple of alternative reasons to explain his scrambling, which easily pop to the front of my mind: one more ball handler to ensure adequate team depth or a solid ball handler to ensure practice is intense.

But I agree with you, this is an issue worth keeping an eye on because Virginia will have a dangerous team again next year when they defend their ACC Title. An issue with Perrantes or Brodgen would make them a whole lot less dangerous in a hurry.

jhmoss1812
05-10-2014, 11:11 AM
Perhaps Bennett is responding to an issue, or potential issue, not known to the public. There are a couple of alternative reasons to explain his scrambling, which easily pop to the front of my mind: one more ball handler to ensure adequate team depth or a solid ball handler to ensure practice is intense.

But I agree with you, this is an issue worth keeping an eye on because Virginia will have a dangerous team again next year when they defend their ACC Title. An issue with Perrantes or Brodgen would make them a whole lot less dangerous in a hurry.

I think this recruitment has to do more with adding quality depth than anything else. Allen provides a unique skill set that our current guards lack. He has the ability to beat teams off the bounce and create his own shot. He caused us more trouble than any other guard we faced in the ACC this year and Tony wants that kind of player in practice against our defense and on our team to wreak havoc on opposing defenses. There is no issue with Perrantes or Brogdon. Allen adds a different kind of guard to our roster. Most UVA guards are tall and long but lack the lateral quickness that Allen provides. This would be a home run get for us. From Allen's perspective, I can understand the confusion but he obviously wanted out of MD for more than just playing time. He's considering places that have proven PGs so I think it's about the best fit for him. I'd be surprised if he doesn't end up at UVA. If true, watch out for us in 2015-2016

gumbomoop
05-10-2014, 11:55 AM
I'd be surprised if he doesn't end up at UVA. If true, watch out for us in 2015-2016

First off, good to have your perspective and knowledge. How about posting regularly during the future?

Second, we should all be watching out for you in 2014-15. I think UVa, Duke, and UNC are preseason co-favorites to top the conference regular season. Bennett seems to get guys who execute his systems efficiently. Tobey has to play more and better.

Third, if all of UVa's 2013-14 sophs stay 4 years, even if Allen goes elsewhere, you'll be watch-out-able. Brogdon, Gill, Anderson, Tobey, Nolte would all be very experienced seniors that season.

OldPhiKap
05-10-2014, 12:08 PM
I think this recruitment has to do more with adding quality depth than anything else. Allen provides a unique skill set that our current guards lack. He has the ability to beat teams off the bounce and create his own shot. He caused us more trouble than any other guard we faced in the ACC this year and Tony wants that kind of player in practice against our defense and on our team to wreak havoc on opposing defenses. There is no issue with Perrantes or Brogdon. Allen adds a different kind of guard to our roster. Most UVA guards are tall and long but lack the lateral quickness that Allen provides. This would be a home run get for us. From Allen's perspective, I can understand the confusion but he obviously wanted out of MD for more than just playing time. He's considering places that have proven PGs so I think it's about the best fit for him. I'd be surprised if he doesn't end up at UVA. If true, watch out for us in 2015-2016

Congrats on a good year, and glad to see that UVa has built something solid.

Agree with the post above, come back often.

Where is Allen from? Maybe he wants to stay near DC more than some other considerations, and wanted out of College Park.

jhmoss1812
05-10-2014, 12:38 PM
Congrats on a good year, and glad to see that UVa has built something solid.

Agree with the post above, come back often.

Where is Allen from? Maybe he wants to stay near DC more than some other considerations, and wanted out of College Park.

Thanks for the hospitality. I love this board so I appreciate your welcome. Allen is from Woodbridge, VA. He's very good friends with Justin Anderson. Remember, Justin Anderson originally committed to Maryland but decided on UVA once Gary Williams retired (thank you GW). I do think we will be good this year as we return a lot of young talent and bring in some very good frosh in Stith Jr, Wilkins, Salt, and Shayok. Devon Hall, who redshirted last year, will also be added into the mix. Replacing Joe Harris and Akil Mitchell will not be easy but I honestly think we have more talented players on our roster now. Joe and Akil were the foundation of a program but they had their limitations. The ACC will be better this year so it's not realistic to expect another regular season and tournament championship but I think we'll be in the mix. I'm looking forward to watching Duke play this year. I think you finally will have guys playing in the proper position and add some defensive tenacity that has been missing. I wish we had a home-and-home this year but I'm just glad we don't have to only go to Cameron again haha. Good luck this year. I'll post more often as the season draws nearer.

lotusland
05-10-2014, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the hospitality. I love this board so I appreciate your welcome. Allen is from Woodbridge, VA. He's very good friends with Justin Anderson. Remember, Justin Anderson originally committed to Maryland but decided on UVA once Gary Williams retired (thank you GW). I do think we will be good this year as we return a lot of young talent and bring in some very good frosh in Stith Jr, Wilkins, Salt, and Shayok. Devon Hall, who redshirted last year, will also be added into the mix. Replacing Joe Harris and Akil Mitchell will not be easy but I honestly think we have more talented players on our roster now. Joe and Akil were the foundation of a program but they had their limitations. The ACC will be better this year so it's not realistic to expect another regular season and tournament championship but I think we'll be in the mix. I'm looking forward to watching Duke play this year. I think you finally will have guys playing in the proper position and add some defensive tenacity that has been missing. I wish we had a home-and-home this year but I'm just glad we don't have to only go to Cameron again haha. Good luck this year. I'll post more often as the season draws nearer.

Yeah lucky for y'all those bums with their limitations will be gone next year. Last off-season we were excited about our incoming talent as we said farewell to Ryan, Mason and Seth. You guys are looking good for next year but you'll miss those guys a lot.

jhmoss1812
05-10-2014, 04:43 PM
Yeah lucky for y'all those bums with their limitations will be gone next year. Last off-season we were excited about our incoming talent as we said farewell to Ryan, Mason and Seth. You guys are looking good for next year but you'll miss those guys a lot.

I didn't call them bums lol. Anyways, Seth Allen is going to VT. Just confirmed. Must say I'm pretty shocked. Terp turned Hokie. Don't think I could hate a player more than that :)

noworries
05-12-2014, 12:01 AM
Replacing Joe Harris and Akil Mitchell will not be easy but I honestly think we have more talented players on our roster now. Joe and Akil were the foundation of a program but they had their limitations.

Biggest problem with losing Joe is the knock down shooter. Anderson, Brogdon, Perrantes can all knock down threes but aren't necessarily serious threats from outside. Nolte doesn't play enough for it to matter, but if he plays like he did in the NCAA tourney then he may be seeing the floor some more. Leadership may also be a huge loss but we'll see next season...I always felt better when Joe and Akil were on the floor.

Olympic Fan
05-12-2014, 11:00 AM
Biggest problem with losing Joe is the knock down shooter. Anderson, Brogdon, Perrantes can all knock down threes but aren't necessarily serious threats from outside. Nolte doesn't play enough for it to matter, but if he plays like he did in the NCAA tourney then he may be seeing the floor some more. Leadership may also be a huge loss but we'll see next season...I always felt better when Joe and Akil were on the floor.

I thought Joe Harris was Virginia's equivilent to Kyle Singler -- both players lost their shot a bit as seniors, but both were tough, versatile , hardnosed players who were still significant players -- even after their shooting slipped.

Being a Duke guy, I might be biased -- I think Kyle was a better player ... but I still see a lot of similarities.

I do think Virginia will miss Joe Harris.

noworries
05-12-2014, 03:44 PM
I thought Joe Harris was Virginia's equivilent to Kyle Singler -- both players lost their shot a bit as seniors, but both were tough, versatile , hardnosed players who were still significant players -- even after their shooting slipped.

Being a Duke guy, I might be biased -- I think Kyle was a better player ... but I still see a lot of similarities.

Great comparison and I thoroughly agree...Harris was 42% junior year and 40% senior year from 3, so maybe lost his shot a pinch but also wasn't getting nearly as many shots after a breakout junior year and much more balance this year. I think Singler was a better player but loved watching both play.

Newton_14
05-12-2014, 04:52 PM

I actually think that is a pretty accurate view. Harris and Singler were both warriors. Kyle's defense to me, is what sets him apart from Harris, but offensively they were very similar. Harris probably shot it a little better his Senior year than did Kyle. Have not checked the stats though. I will always maintain that Singler's shooting slump his Sr year, especially from 3, is why his jersey is not in the rafters. He should have been a first team All American that season with much better stats. The mystery slump cost him big time. Just one of those weird things that will never make sense to me. He has shot it normally/fine since that one lone season.