PDA

View Full Version : Block/Charges for the 2014-2015 Season

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
05-09-2014, 03:53 PM
From the article

“This alteration will impact block/charge plays in an effort to make this play easier to coach and officiate,” said Rick Byrd, head coach at Belmont University and chair of the committee, which met jointly with the National Association of Basketball Coaches board of directors and the Division I Men’s Basketball Championship Committee. “In our discussions, the men’s basketball community, including coaches, officials and administrators, agreed that this rule needed adjustment.”

Last season, the committee changed the timeframe at which the defender must be in legal guarding position, adjusting it to when the airborne player started his upward motion with the ball to attempt a shot or pass. When reviewing game footage from last season, the committee concluded that those types of plays became more difficult to coach and officiate.

Read the article here... http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/men%E2%80%99s-basketball-committee-adjusts-criteria-calling-charges-blocks

Wonder if this changes the way K prepares for next year?

Duvall
05-09-2014, 04:03 PM
From the article

Read the article here... http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/men%E2%80%99s-basketball-committee-adjusts-criteria-calling-charges-blocks

Not sure, but it looks like Akil Mitchell got out just in time:

Defending the post
The committee addressed a major officiating concern for the 2014-15 season by focusing on play in the post area. The committee directed officials to call plays in the post as written in the rulebook. The officiating guidelines are below:

A defensive player pushing a leg or knee into the rear of the offensive player shall be a personal foul on the defender;
An offensive player dislodging a defensive player from an established position by pushing or backing in shall be a personal foul on the offensive player;
A player using the “swim stroke” arm movement to lower the arm of an opponent shall be charged with a personal foul;
Post players using hands, forearms or elbows to prevent an opponent from maintaining a legal position shall be charged with a personal foul.

Kedsy
05-09-2014, 04:13 PM
From the article

Saying the defender must be in place before the offensive player leaves the ground makes more sense than starting his upward motion, so that's good. That part should make it easier to take a charge, while not allowing any movement (except vertically to block a shot) should make it a bit harder. Overall, I think it will be easier to get a charge call than 2013-14, but probably not quite as easy as 2012-13, which overall sounds pretty reasonable.

The part about allowing a player to move vertically to block a shot is interesting, though. Was the rule like that before?

Also, the proposed defending the post rules might lead to a whole lot more interior offensive fouls. It figures in a year where we'll have a strong post player they decide to try something like this. If it passes, it might move Jahlil's mpg closer to 20 than 30.

Li_Duke
05-09-2014, 04:23 PM
Saying the defender must be in place before the offensive player leaves the ground makes more sense than starting his upward motion, so that's good. That part should make it easier to take a charge, while not allowing any movement (except vertically to block a shot) should make it a bit harder. Overall, I think it will be easier to get a charge call than 2013-14, but probably not quite as easy as 2012-13, which overall sounds pretty reasonable.

The part about allowing a player to move vertically to block a shot is interesting, though. Was the rule like that before?

Also, the proposed defending the post rules might lead to a whole lot more interior offensive fouls. It figures in a year where we'll have a strong post player they decide to try something like this. If it passes, it might move Jahlil's mpg closer to 20 than 30.

On the other hand, players will have to defend Okafor as well.

Kedsy
05-09-2014, 04:47 PM
On the other hand, players will have to defend Okafor as well.

The way I read it, the only new rule regarding defenders is they can't put their knee or leg into the offensive player's back. The other three rules refer pretty much only to the offensive player, and include stuff that players do without thinking, like backing down the defender and pushing the defender's arm out of the way when setting up for an entry pass.

If those rules had been in place last year and had been interpreted literally, guys like Julius Randle would have played a lot fewer minutes.

MChambers
05-10-2014, 12:41 PM
Yes, but it was often ignored. I think this is the Rules Committee saying "this time we really mean it."

CDu
05-10-2014, 12:42 PM
Yes, but it was often ignored. I think this is the Rules Committee saying "this time we really mean it."

Yeah, that's the thing. Most of the "rules changes" last year were not actual changes to the rules. The problem has been that officials aren't enforcing the rules. These "rules changes" are, for the most part, not actual changes either.

gurufrisbee
05-10-2014, 03:39 PM
Yeah, that's the thing. Most of the "rules changes" last year were not actual changes to the rules. The problem has been that officials aren't enforcing the rules. These "rules changes" are, for the most part, not actual changes either.

This is SO true. It's been driving me nuts that basically for the last thirty years the offensive player can run straight into the defender and get the foul call - which is NOT the rule at all. If you create the contact to gain the advantage, the foul is on you! Unfortunately the NBA was desperate to have star power and let a certain tongue swagging guard start getting every foul call imaginable when he was running over defenders and the game has been worse for it ever since.

COYS
05-10-2014, 06:09 PM

I've mentioned this before, but the thing that bugs me the most about the block/charge call is that, with very few exceptions, the defender must fall down in order for a charge to be called. This is part of the flopping problem, as well (which I don't actually think is that big of a deal, but that's another story). The fact that a defender has to fall means that they must also convince the refs that the offensive player hit them hard enough to cause them to fall. Therefore, defenders must make a choice: assume the charge stance which in no way resembles a proper and legal guarding position or maintain their defensive position and go for a shot block or a strip. No rule should punish the defender for maintaining a strong, legal guarding position or require a defender to fall in order to receive a foul on the offensive player.

In my opinion, a charge should be called if the defender has good position regardless of what stance they're in or whether or not they fall over.

MChambers
05-10-2014, 08:33 PM
I've mentioned this before, but the thing that bugs me the most about the block/charge call is that, with very few exceptions, the defender must fall down in order for a charge to be called. This is part of the flopping problem, as well (which I don't actually think is that big of a deal, but that's another story). The fact that a defender has to fall means that they must also convince the refs that the offensive player hit them hard enough to cause them to fall. Therefore, defenders must make a choice: assume the charge stance which in no way resembles a proper and legal guarding position or maintain their defensive position and go for a shot block or a strip. No rule should punish the defender for maintaining a strong, legal guarding position or require a defender to fall in order to receive a foul on the offensive player.

In my opinion, a charge should be called if the defender has good position regardless of what stance they're in or whether or not they fall over.

I agree with all of this, but refs seem to have a hard time with these principles. I'm not sure why, except that refs don't like to call charges, so they only do it when the defender falls down.