PDA

View Full Version : "Lakers Add Roy Williams to Coaching Search"

SmartDevil
05-05-2014, 08:48 PM
Reported by MASN.....Middle Atlantic Sports Network (Nationals, Orioles, Wizards, Caps, etc.)

Wonder if this came from the Lakers or Ol' Roys personal P.R. promotion "network?"

Begone, Roy ! You are sooo cool you'd fit right in in L.A. (Ha !)

dukelifer
05-05-2014, 08:50 PM
Reported by MASN.....Middle Atlantic Sports Network (Nationals, Orioles, Wizards, Caps, etc.)

Wonder if this came from the Lakers or Ol' Roys personal P.R. promotion "network?"

Begone, Roy ! You are sooo cool you'd fit right in in L.A. (Ha !)

Way to get a raise? By the time he would figure it out - it would be time to retire.

BD80
05-05-2014, 09:16 PM
Way to get a raise? By the time he would figure it out - it would be time to retire.

This is just Mitch Kupchak helping out unc by giving ol' roy some "buzz."

CameronBornAndBred
05-05-2014, 09:21 PM
Roy can't leave, I need him close by to fill my comedy needs in the cold winter months.

brevity
05-05-2014, 09:31 PM
Ridiculous. We certainly don't need 2 threads about the coaching search of a pathetic NBA lottery team that isn't even the best in its own building.

FerryFor50
05-05-2014, 10:57 PM
This is just Mitch Kupchak helping out unc by giving ol' roy some "buzz."

Will Graves and PJ Hairston should be more than capable of providing Roy with all the "buzz" he needs...

Henderson
05-05-2014, 11:45 PM
Huckleberry Hound Goes to Hollywood. The reality show would be funnier than the old cartoon.

BD80
05-06-2014, 04:11 AM
If this were serious, is this a plus or minus for Duke? Do we prefer the devil we know and worry that unc could end up with a really good coach? Or do we think ol' roy is better than any likely replacement? I am torn.

Could this also be an indicator that things are a little hotter in chapel hill than they appear vis a vis the "solely academic" scandal and the chief rat is looking to swim away from the ship?

Dr. Rosenrosen
05-06-2014, 04:50 AM
Huckleberry Hound Goes to Hollywood. The reality show would be funnier than the old cartoon.
The Beverly Hillbilly

cspan37421
05-06-2014, 06:14 AM
Good thing Roy wasn't on the LAL sideline this year - he'd have to reconsider his already low-bar definition of tragedy.

Dr. Rosenrosen
05-06-2014, 06:42 AM
Couldn't help myself... put on my hazmat suit, ventured over to IC for a minute to check out their "roy to lakers" thread, and then decontaminated before coming back. Half the thread is about K, K getting raises, K being overpaid, Roy supposedly being offered NBA jobs before K... talk about industrial size inferiority complex. Effort was worth the chuckle though.

OldPhiKap
05-06-2014, 07:16 AM
Roy wants to stay in Chapel Hill, to cement his place as the second-best MBB coach UNC ever had.

royalblue
05-06-2014, 07:36 AM
Who is #1 Bill Guthridge?

wsb3
05-06-2014, 07:50 AM
Couldn't help myself... put on my hazmat suit, ventured over to IC for a minute to check out their "roy to lakers" thread, and then decontaminated before coming back. Half the thread is about K, K getting raises, K being overpaid, Roy supposedly being offered NBA jobs before K... talk about industrial size inferiority complex. Effort was worth the chuckle though.

I believe Dean said Roy was offered the job before Coach K but I don't believe the Lakers ever made a serious offer as in a contract offer. I mean how long would NBA men tolerate that homespun huck hound, "Aw shucks..." routine of his?

I ventured over as well. Going for a long shower. That is one delusional fan base.

MChambers
05-06-2014, 08:34 AM
Roy has always regretted signing the Ware twins instead of Ryan Kelly. Finally, he'll get to coach the White Raven!

OldPhiKap
05-06-2014, 09:10 AM
When Roy starts saying that he "doesn't give a @#$# about the Lakers" -- he's gone.

Faustus
05-06-2014, 09:40 AM
Frankly, I could see this as a power play by Roy vs. the 'academics' inside UNC who are honestly trying to get to the bottom of and cure the contamination of the school's collapsing reputation of integrity. There seems to be some signs that the serious profs might even be gaining some traction vs. the athletic tail wagging the Tar Heel dog. But with the help of their old pal Mitch Kupchak as GM of the Lakers, this could be the jocks' attempt at yet another shot across the dweebs' bow. "OK, if you try to clean up our 'Carolina Way', I'll just pretend to leave. THEN see what happens around here. We'll show you who's boss. So you better leave us alone, or you'll be sorry." A classic playground bully move, which is par for the course at that place.

But surely Roy isn't serious about leaving for the NBA. Even if the dumpster fire there goes completely out of control, I see him far more likely as simply retiring for health reasons than that.

Reilly
05-06-2014, 09:41 AM
The Beverly Hillbilly

On the other hand, is there a more self-centered locale than the star culture of Los Angeles?

And is there a more self-centered coach than Roy Williams?

"Talking about yourself in the third person? Brilliant! Why didn't I think of that ... "

Could be a match made in heaven. Roy could get some eyeglasses that match Jack Nicholson's shades, a purple and gold plaid blazer, and away we go ...

lotusland
05-06-2014, 12:51 PM
If this were serious, is this a plus or minus for Duke? Do we prefer the devil we know and worry that unc could end up with a really good coach? Or do we think ol' roy is better than any likely replacement? I am torn.

Could this also be an indicator that things are a little hotter in chapel hill than they appear vis a vis the "solely academic" scandal and the chief rat is looking to swim away from the ship?

I've truly enjoyed the process the last couple of times UNC filled a coaching vacancy. Wouldn't they have to go outside the "family" this time? How old is George Karl now? As much as I would hate to see Greg Marshall at UNC I would almost like to watch the turmoil. Genteel and diplomatic have not been Marshall's reputation in the past. I think the old guard would be in for a shock. But, in the end, the Heels would play hard with an edge and they would be handful every year so let's just hope ole Huck sticks with the current retirement plan.

FerryFor50
05-06-2014, 12:58 PM
I've truly enjoyed the process the last couple of times UNC filled a coaching vacancy. Wouldn't they have to go outside the "family" this time? How old is George Karl now? As much as I would hate to see Greg Marshall at UNC I would almost like to watch the turmoil. Genteel and diplomatic have not been Marshall's reputation in the past. I think the old guard would be in for a shock. But, in the end, the Heels would play hard with an edge and they would be handful every year so let's just hope ole Huck sticks with the current retirement plan.

Why would Greg Marshall take a step down from Wichita St to coach UNC? :D

Tripping William
05-06-2014, 01:02 PM

Why would the Lakers take a step down to hire Ol' Roy? ;)

lotusland
05-06-2014, 01:08 PM

Academic standards make it easier to qualify players and keep them eligible at UNC?

Li_Duke
05-06-2014, 02:36 PM

Larry Brown would take the UNC job in a heartbeat, and then UNC would be scary.

FerryFor50
05-06-2014, 02:38 PM
Larry Brown would take the UNC job in a heartbeat, and then UNC would be scary.

Until he retired in 2 years. Larry Brown is 73 years old. He's already the oldest coach in the country. How long you think he's going to coach?

alteran
05-06-2014, 02:41 PM
Why would the Lakers take a step down to hire Ol' Roy? ;)

Maybe the GM wants out but gets more money if he's fired?

Tripping William
05-06-2014, 03:20 PM
Maybe the GM wants out but gets more money if he's fired?

Maybe that plus maybe (just maybe) he secretly wants Ol' Roy's ol' job . . .

lotusland
05-06-2014, 03:22 PM
Until he retired in 2 years. Larry Brown is 73 years old. He's already the oldest coach in the country. How long you think he's going to coach?

Did they offer the job to Larry Brown prior to hiring Doh and/or Huck? I thought he turned them down then.

OldPhiKap
05-06-2014, 03:52 PM
Did they offer the job to Larry Brown prior to hiring Doh and/or Huck? I thought he turned them down then.

Who would want to take a short-term job at a program on probation?

Oh, wait -- never mind.

wsb3
05-06-2014, 04:54 PM

http://www.tarheelblog.com/2013/2/7/3964498/larry-brown-explains-why-he-never-got-the-unc-job

oldnavy
05-06-2014, 05:25 PM
Who would want to take a short-term job at a program on probation?

Oh, wait -- never mind.

You mean who wouldn't want to take a job where you could cheat all you want without repercussions?? :D

Henderson
05-07-2014, 07:57 AM
http://www.tarheelblog.com/2013/2/7/3964498/larry-brown-explains-why-he-never-got-the-unc-job

Interesting. Thanks for the link. I'm putting Dick Baddour on my Christmas card list.

Henderson
05-07-2014, 07:59 AM
You mean who wouldn't want to take a job where you could cheat all you want without repercussions?? :D

Michael William Krzyzewski.

Duke3517
05-07-2014, 04:49 PM
Roy Williams would honestly be an extension to Mike D Antoni. The Lakers wouldn't change a whole lot. A Coach William's team have never primarily focused on defense almost like Coach Calipari doesn't pay close attention to free throw shooting. There emphasis is on offense. They focus on a great reliable point guard who is able to run the fast break. There teams have been predictable in the last couple of seasons.

flyingdutchdevil
05-07-2014, 05:05 PM
Roy Williams would honestly be an extension to Mike D Antoni. The Lakers wouldn't change a whole lot. A Coach William's team have never primarily focused on defense almost like Coach Calipari doesn't pay close attention to free throw shooting. There emphasis is on offense. They focus on a great reliable point guard who is able to run the fast break. There teams have been predictable in the last couple of seasons.

Grammatically and spelling issues aside, this just isn't true. In 2005, UNC had the 12th most efficient defense (KenPom). In 2007, 10th. In 2011, 4th. North Carolina may be an offensively focused team most years, but that doesn't mean that RoyWill is inept on the defensive end.

Duke3517
05-07-2014, 05:14 PM
Grammatically and spelling issues aside, this just isn't true. In 2005, UNC had the 12th most efficient defense (KenPom). In 2007, 10th. In 2011, 4th. North Carolina may be an offensively focused team most years, but that doesn't mean that RoyWill is inept on the defensive end.

I don't read kenpom or any other statistical methods used to determine efficiency. I go by what I watch. Over the past couple of seasons I have seen them play man to man and not keep any quick athletic offensive player in front of them. I have also seen them run a zone and it was like watching 5 guys standing around with their hands up. When I watch that I have no clue why they play defense what so ever. They are an offensive oriented team "most" seasons.

AtlDuke72
05-07-2014, 06:10 PM
I don't read kenpom or any other statistical methods used to determine efficiency.

Don't confuse you with the facts????

Duvall
05-07-2014, 06:11 PM
Don't confuse you with the facts????

We need some truthier posts around here.

CameronBornAndBred
05-07-2014, 06:16 PM
I can't handle those.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
05-07-2014, 07:54 PM
I can't handle those.

These off-season threads are going to drive me away from the site for awhile. How long til Midnight Madness?

Dr. Rosenrosen
05-07-2014, 09:36 PM
These off-season threads are going to drive me away from the site for awhile. How long til Midnight Madness?
Agreed. We need a new board for snarky threads where everyone with a chip on their shoulder can go hang for the offseason. It's getting silly.

Duke3517
05-07-2014, 09:39 PM
Agreed. We need a new board for snarky threads where everyone with a chip on their shoulder can go hang for the offseason. It's getting silly.

I tried providing entertainment in my nutrition thread.

BD80
05-07-2014, 10:48 PM

But, but, but ...

We're talking about ol' roy, a tarheel whose mascot is a sheep ...

And EVERYBODY knows ...

ready?

ewes can't handle the truth!

CameronBornAndBred
05-08-2014, 08:21 AM
Interesting article on WRAL.com about Roy and the Lakers, and how he's probably not going. That part of it isn't that interesting, but the second part is, where Caulton Tudor surmises Roy's replacement.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/roy-likely-to-stay-this-time-but-who-s-next-for-heels-/13625595/

But for now, there’s every reason to believe Carolina’s next coach will be someone who didn’t wear a Tar Heel uniform or have a direct link to Smith.

Native
05-08-2014, 12:45 PM
The Beverly Hillbilly

DukieInKansas
05-08-2014, 01:31 PM

A sure sign that finals are over - you have time to photo shop! Great job.

alteran
05-08-2014, 01:41 PM

It should be The Chapel Hillbillies. Just sayin'.