PDA

View Full Version : NBA Rookie of the year goes to....

CameronBornAndBred
05-05-2014, 02:33 PM
Michael Carter-Williams, the first double digit draft pick to win it since 1987. I'm trying to find the actual votes, I'm sure they are on the net somewhere. Just curious to see how Mason fared since his name was at least up there in the mix of names mentioned.

http://www.nba.com/sixers/news/140505-mcw-roy-release

tommy
05-05-2014, 02:40 PM
Michael Carter-Williams, the first double digit draft pick to win it since 1987. I'm trying to find the actual votes, I'm sure they are on the net somewhere. Just curious to see how Mason fared since his name was at least up there in the mix of names mentioned.

http://www.nba.com/sixers/news/140505-mcw-roy-release

Fourth. Not bad, huh?

It went like this:

1 - Carter-Williams
2 - Oladipo
3 - Trey Burke
4 - Mason
5 - Hardaway

CameronBornAndBred
05-05-2014, 02:56 PM
Fourth. Not bad, huh?

It went like this:

1 - Carter-Williams
2 - Oladipo
3 - Trey Burke
4 - Mason
5 - Hardaway
Thanks. Only 2 guys in the top 10 of the draft made the top 5, Oladipo (2nd) and Burke (9th).

lotusland
05-05-2014, 02:57 PM
I'm not an NBA guy but the 2013 draft looks pretty weak. UK only had 2 and I had already forgotten about Archie Goodwin who was taken 29th. How did Bazz do this year?

I also noticed that Carrick Felix was taken 33rd which was 15 spots ahead of Ryan at 48th. Did Felix stick?

OldSchool
05-05-2014, 03:05 PM
Fourth. Not bad, huh?

It went like this:

1 - Carter-Williams
2 - Oladipo
3 - Trey Burke
4 - Mason
5 - Hardaway

Mason's showing is especially impressive when taking into account minutes per game:

Carter-Williams MPG 34.5
Oladipo MPG 31.1
Burke MPG 32.3
Mason MPG 18.2
Hardaway MPG 23.1

nmduke2001
05-05-2014, 03:12 PM
Mason's showing is especially impressive when taking into account minutes per game:

Carter-Williams MPG 34.5
Oladipo MPG 31.1
Burke MPG 32.3
Mason MPG 18.2
Hardaway MPG 23.1

Given how Philly tanked this season, I think any of the top-five would have won the ROY had they been drafted buy Philly and given the same opportunity as Carter-Williams. Of the games I saw, I thought Hardaway was the most impressive rookie.

Ichabod Drain
05-05-2014, 03:51 PM
Given how Philly tanked this season, I think any of the top-five would have won the ROY had they been drafted buy Philly and given the same opportunity as Carter-Williams. Of the games I saw, I thought Hardaway was the most impressive rookie.

I don't think your team tanking helps you get over 6 boards and 6 assists a game. Probably doesn't help you get 17 ppg either.

flyingdutchdevil
05-05-2014, 04:00 PM
I don't think your team tanking helps you get over 6 boards and 6 assists a game. Probably doesn't help you get 17 ppg either.

Maybe, but sometimes being on a terrible team helps to pad your stats. Look at Antonio McDyess. He was the man in Denver, averaging over 18 points in 4 of his 6 seasons. After Denver, McDyess went to New York, Phoenix, Detroit, and San Antonio. These teams were significantly better than Denver. And McDyess never averaged double digits again.

nmduke2001
05-05-2014, 04:01 PM

but it does give you plenty of opportunity to be "the man" which leads to more stats.

Duvall
05-05-2014, 04:01 PM

But it does help you get 34.5 minutes per game, and an unlimited number of shots even when you can't shoot.

pfrduke
05-05-2014, 04:06 PM
I'm not an NBA guy but the 2013 draft looks pretty weak. UK only had 2 and I had already forgotten about Archie Goodwin who was taken 29th. How did Bazz do this year?

I also noticed that Carrick Felix was taken 33rd which was 15 spots ahead of Ryan at 48th. Did Felix stick?

He played 38 minutes in 7 games for Cleveland this season.

He also played just 9 games for the Canton Charge in the D-League, averaging 11 and 5. Not sure if the limited number of games was due to injury or due to languishing on the bench with the Cavs (possibly the latter, as it looks like he spent roughly 3 months on the NBA roster).

Ichabod Drain
05-05-2014, 04:07 PM
Maybe, but sometimes being on a terrible team helps to pad your stats. Look at Antonio McDyess. He was the man in Denver, averaging over 18 points in 4 of his 6 seasons. After Denver, McDyess went to New York, Phoenix, Detroit, and San Antonio. These teams were significantly better than Denver. And McDyess never averaged double digits again.

His last season in Denver he ruptured a tendon in his knee... C'mon man

Let me put it another way. One other player in the NBA averaged over 6 assists, 6 rebounds and 16 points. Anyone want to guess who that was?

ChillinDuke
05-05-2014, 04:16 PM
His last season in Denver he ruptured a tendon in his knee... C'mon man

Let me put it another way. One other player in the NBA averaged over 6 assists, 6 rebounds and 16 points. Anyone want to guess who that was?

Why are the two concepts mutually exclusive?

Clearly, MCW is a great rookie and a nice talent (as his stats show).

Also clearly, being on a bad team gives that team's "star" more minutes, shots, and thus better stats.

I don't think either point requires any further analysis. Both seem obvious to me.

- Chillin

sagegrouse
05-05-2014, 04:42 PM
Why are the two concepts mutually exclusive?

Clearly, MCW is a great rookie and a nice talent (as his stats show).

Also clearly, being on a bad team gives that team's "star" more minutes, shots, and thus better stats.

I don't think either point requires any further analysis. Both seem obvious to me.

- Chillin

With these kinds of mental shortcuts, I don't see how you survive the drudgery of the off-season. Gotta kill some time until October.

chi
05-05-2014, 05:12 PM

Carter-Williams MPG 34.5
Oladipo MPG 31.1
Burke MPG 32.3
Mason MPG 18.2
Hardaway MPG 23.1

SI on why Mason should have been selected instead

http://nba.si.com/2014/05/05/nba-rookie-of-the-year-mason-plumlee-michael-carter-williams/

lotusland
05-05-2014, 06:12 PM

http://nba.si.com/2014/05/05/nba-rookie-of-the-year-mason-plumlee-michael-carter-williams/

Chris Johnson seems to think Carter-Williams benefitted from playing on a crappy team.

At the risk of sounding overly simplistic, Carter-Williams was able to post such gaudy statistics in large part because the 76ers stripped their roster of talent and featured a cast of replacement level players. To understand the depth of Philadelphia’s ineptitude, consider that only one of its players, forward Thaddeus Young, registered one of the league’s top 100 PERs. (Carter-Williams ranked 121st, at 15.59) The team’s dearth of talent enabled Carter-Williams to average 15.1 shot attempts per game and use 25.6 percent of available possessions, both of which ranked second among current 76ers who played in at least four games.

g-money
05-05-2014, 06:20 PM

I loved Mason's shot chart in that article. Now there's a man who knows his role within the offense!

To me this is a classic case of NBA scouts undervaluing a four year college player. Kudos to the Nets and Billy King for bucking the trend.

jimsumner
05-05-2014, 06:46 PM
I loved Mason's shot chart in that article. Now there's a man who knows his role within the offense!

To me this is a classic case of NBA scouts undervaluing a four year college player. Kudos to the Nets and Billy King for bucking the trend.

The shot chart also suggests that it's about time for Mason Plumlee to develop at the very least a serviceable mid-range jumper. He's not Shaq. There's only so far he can go with an effective shooting range of three feet.