PDA

View Full Version : Seth Allen to Transfer

toughbuff1
05-02-2014, 03:45 PM
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10873274/maryland-terrapins-starting-point-guard-seth-allen-plans-transfer

The scuttlebutt around here (talked about on local sports radio) is that Charles Mitchell will most likely be transferring too.

sadterp
05-02-2014, 04:16 PM
Yes. Maryland basketball is now officially a dumpster fire.

The mystery is why he is leaving. The first three transfers weren't a surprise. But Allen was slated to get major playing time and probably would have been the leading scorer on the team.

JasonEvans
05-02-2014, 04:38 PM
I am confused... why is this news we care about? I mean, if it was a program of some national importance that figured to be a strong NCAA tourney contender (like Kansas losing Naadir Tharpe) then it would be a story. If it was about an ACC team with whom Duke competes every year (like Syracuse or Pitt or Notre Dame or even Louisville), then it would matter.

But Maryland being a dumpster fire!??!? Meh, who cares?

-Jason " http://www.cool-smileys.com/images/132.gif " Evans

sadterp
05-02-2014, 04:39 PM
I don't know why you care. I care because I'm a refugee.

Here is a Turtle
05-02-2014, 04:45 PM
Ugh.....

Earlier when I said the team wasn't blown up. Now it is. Albeit, the rumors going around about why he left don't make me feel much better about anything. Still think we make the tournament, but we'll be sweating.

dukebluesincebirth
05-02-2014, 04:54 PM
I feel so bad for Maryland and their adorable fans😉

JasonEvans
05-02-2014, 04:54 PM
I don't know why you care. I care because I'm a refugee.

If we can really be truthful, I am sad to see the Terps leave the league. They always played Duke hard and often provided memorable matchups. All in all, they are a quality program and the ACC will miss them. I would much rather the Big Ten have grabbed Virginia Tech from the ACC.

-Jason "what do you bet the ACC gets from the settlement? $20 million?" Evans

Olympic Fan
05-02-2014, 05:01 PM
I am confused... why is this news we care about? I mean, if it was a program of some national importance that figured to be a strong NCAA tourney contender (like Kansas losing Naadir Tharpe) then it would be a story. If it was about an ACC team with whom Duke competes every year (like Syracuse or Pitt or Notre Dame or even Louisville), then it would matter.

But Maryland being a dumpster fire!??!? Meh, who cares?

-Jason " http://www.cool-smileys.com/images/132.gif " Evans

Jason, they are still ours for another two months. After July 1st, they are the Big Ten's problem.

Here is a Turtle ... I disagree about making Maryland making the tournament -- especially if Mitchell follows Allen out the door. Losing Allen makes the Peters departure hurt. And if Mitchell does go, then you'll be sorry Cleare left.

mattman91
05-02-2014, 05:23 PM
Ugh.....

Earlier when I said the team wasn't blown up. Now it is. Albeit, the rumors going around about why he left don't make me feel much better about anything. Still think we make the tournament, but we'll be sweating.

You will be sweating to make the NIT.

Henderson
05-02-2014, 06:09 PM

You can't even play in the NIT if you don't have at least five players. I think sadterp and HIAT should stick by the phone in case Turgeon calls needing some bodies.

What's going on there? Is it just a cosmic convergence of different reasons these players are all leaving, or is there a theme? All I can come up with is that maybe with the big ACC exit fee, the AD has informed the team that it has to travel to those splendid winter conference road games by bus. And share the driving duties.

brevity
05-02-2014, 06:59 PM
Seth Allen played in the ACC. This should be in the ACC Transfer Watch (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?33684) thread.

Oh, I think Maryland can wing it.

revmel53
05-02-2014, 07:03 PM
Let's be realistic. Maryland wasn't good, even with those players. There's no way it makes the BIG Tourney. NIT only because of Big 10. It's not the death penalty, but it's close.

MCFinARL
05-02-2014, 07:57 PM
This makes the Maryland-Virginia matchup in the ACC-Big 10 Challenge kind of ridiculous. It was already sort of odd based on team rankings, although the regional rivalry factor and the fact that Maryland somehow beat UVA last year made up for that. But with so many missing players, Maryland could look like a pickup team in the early season--and UVA likely will not.

gumbomoop
05-02-2014, 09:03 PM
There's understandably a rapidly declining interest on EK in Md. But the combo of the just-announced ACC-Big14 matchups and the striking number of Md player departures keeps me just a little interested in next year's Terps. I'll gradually lose interest, and just don't keep up with much outside the ACC, so Md's future fortunes and misfortunes will disappear from my radar.

But next season's Terps don't strike me as an utterly lost cause, even if Mitchell leaves, too. They return 3 solid, experienced players: Wells, Layman, and Smotrycz; those guys were 3 of last seasons top 4 scorers, and 3 of the top 4 rebounders. One should assume they'll all improve a little.

Will Turgeon be able to create a 7-man rotation by finding 4 other guys who can play? Which of their little-used reserves will get increased minutes next season? Logical candidate seems to be rising senior 6'8" Graham. Surely he could give them an ok 15 minutes at PF. Then, ESPN ranks their incoming class as 9th best, while Scout rates all 5 of their recruits at 4 stars. Not Duke or UK, but not chopped liver.

All Turgeon needs is one of the frosh to be good -- Trimble seems likely candidate -- and 2 others to play some. Shoot, given a chance, 4-star Trimble and 2 other 4-star frosh could be decent as role player support for Wells, Layman, and Smotrycz. After Wisconsin, is Big14 dangerous next season? Will Iowa impress? Nebraska? Can't Md win enough to finish in top half of a down Big14?

Class of '94
05-02-2014, 09:07 PM
Ugh.....

Yeah....now I think the earlier thread about MD is true now. This doesn't look good for the program when you add Seth and possibly Mitchell to the list of players that have transferred from MD after the end of the this season. What is up with that? I, too, think it's going to be very hard for MD to make it into the NCAA tournament; and it may truly be a challenge to qualify the NIT. I don't see MD now being able to compete for a top 4 or 5 spot in the BIG next year. MD will now be competing against up and coming teams in the BIG like Northwestern, Nebraska and Minnesota; and I'm not sure MD will finish higher than these teams; and that would most likely be the difference is making or not making the NCAAT. Heck, I'm not trying to be funny when I say this but I'm not sure if MD will finish higher than Penn St next year.

UrinalCake
05-03-2014, 06:00 AM

And if there's one team that knows about sweating, it's Maryland.

devildeac
05-03-2014, 07:54 AM
Seth Allen played in the ACC. This should be in the ACC Transfer Watch (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?33684) thread.

You always get a leg up on us with your witty comments;).

SmartDevil
05-03-2014, 03:08 PM
I'll cry no tears for Maryland. Their long term arrogance and whiining--and the way the officers of the University and basketball program, as well as their fans, treated our program and our fans--were permanent turnoffs. Yes, I enjoyed some of the games played between our two schools but that doesn't make me fond of their institution. (It is somewhat ironic that the one thing I had some positive feelings regarding U-MD was the hate/love relationship with Gary Williams. And even he walked away from the place !!)

I regularly read the coverage of the Washington Post and other sources regarding U-Maryland. While it is written "flat" and almost with a strained over-objectivity at times, I take away the impression that U-MD is an institution causing huge problems for itself......mismanagement of the University as well as gross mismanagement of the Athletic departhment.....alienation of its fan and alumni bases (both with respect to sports and other issues)....continuing crime and violence on and immediately off campus.....declining student morale...very questionable financial management overall, etc.

The leaders of the University seem to be coming to emotional decisions based on their desires and only then does logic come into play and solely as a tool in trying to conjure up justifications for their decisions.

Yes, they are leaving. Yes, they will be history. But I hope our forum remains a place where their future misadventures can still be communicated and discussed. For one thing, how they fare is potentially germane to the issue of other ACC members considering leaving the conference in the future.

ChicagoCrazy84
05-03-2014, 06:55 PM
Why does it seem like Dez Wells will be entering his 7th year in college? Go away already...

Kfanarmy
05-08-2014, 12:51 PM

There's a lot going on in that picture...when/where was it taken?

lotusland
05-08-2014, 03:49 PM
There's a lot going on in that picture...when/where was it taken?

One of Fats' parties at house Will Graves was "leasing".

sadterp
05-08-2014, 08:40 PM
Not sure where you're getting your information from, SmartDevil.

It's indisputably true that the athletic department was horribly mismanaged (financially), and while the current AD management seems to be doing a better job financially, it certainly is having a hard time with its coaching picks. But the rest of the University isn't having particularly dire financial problems; the state has cut the University's budget over the last few years, but I don't believe its financials are any worse than most other public universities. Academically, its rankings have improved quite considerably over the last two decades.

As for College Park, yes, it's a hole. But believe it or not it's a lot less of a hole than it was a decade ago. I don't have the stats in front of me, but I don't believe crime is significantly worse than it was then, either; and in any case, it is not quite an urban campus, but is nearly so, and there isn't that much the University can do to patrol the streets of College Park.

Disclaimer: I spent ten years earning a PhD at Maryland from 1993 to 2003.

Here is a Turtle
05-10-2014, 07:36 PM
Looks like Seth Allen is heading to Virginia Tech. It sounds like Virginia wanted him, but Bennett saw him as a 2 guard too. So I guess he's still the ACC's problem.

http://m.espn.go.com/ncb/story?storyId=10913447

Dukehky
05-11-2014, 01:49 PM
If he transferred to VT, would he have to sit out 2 years since they were in the same conference at the time of the transfer, or is it just one since thy will no longer be in the same conference?

Here is a Turtle
05-11-2014, 07:19 PM
If he transferred to VT, would he have to sit out 2 years since they were in the same conference at the time of the transfer, or is it just one since thy will no longer be in the same conference?

Just one.

Tom B.
05-12-2014, 02:16 PM
The DBR story about Allen transferring contains this nugget:

The only time we can recall an ACC player starting at one school and finishing at another - sort of, anyway - was when Makhtar N'Daiye was signed by Wake Forest, only to be ruled ineligible by the NCAA.

Umm.....Michael Gbinije? Syracuse hadn't yet started playing in the ACC when Gbinije decided to transfer (April/May of 2012), but Syracuse had been formally accepted for ACC membership in September of 2011, and it was known at the time that Syracuse could start playing in the ACC as early as the 2013-14 season.