PDA

View Full Version : Kansas PG Naadir Tharpe to transfer

FerryFor50
05-01-2014, 09:12 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ap-source-kansas-guard-tharpe-174229567--ncaab.html

Sounds like they might try to sway Devonte Graham away from NCSU, who are currently leading for his services.

1999ballboy
05-01-2014, 10:14 PM
I didn't realize he still had another year to go. He's one of those guys who seems like he's been around a while.

TexHawk
05-02-2014, 02:44 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ap-source-kansas-guard-tharpe-174229567--ncaab.html

Sounds like they might try to sway Devonte Graham away from NCSU, who are currently leading for his services.

Confirmed (http://www2.kusports.com/news/2014/may/02/kansas-lands-pg-devonte-graham/).

FerryFor50
05-02-2014, 03:14 PM
Confirmed (http://www2.kusports.com/news/2014/may/02/kansas-lands-pg-devonte-graham/).

Sucks for the Pack.

How much of this was Tharpe wanting to leave vs. Self forcing him out to open up a spot for Graham?

TexHawk
05-02-2014, 03:25 PM
Sucks for the Pack.

How much of this was Tharpe wanting to leave vs. Self forcing him out to open up a spot for Graham?

What color glasses are you wearing? As a diehard KU fan, it's 100% that Tharpe needed to leave to be closer to the east coast, because he has a young daughter with medical issues. Graham had nothing to do with it. ;)

(I predicted last week that Tharpe was gone, Graham or no Graham, so I think you know my real answer.)

DukeWarhead
05-02-2014, 03:42 PM
Any decision to be closer to family is certainly understandable. Let's hope he's done with the selfies, though. Self not a fan of the selfie.

MCFinARL
05-03-2014, 10:11 AM
What color glasses are you wearing? As a diehard KU fan, it's 100% that Tharpe needed to leave to be closer to the east coast, because he has a young daughter with medical issues. Graham had nothing to do with it. ;)

(I predicted last week that Tharpe was gone, Graham or no Graham, so I think you know my real answer.)

Interestingly, Self commented (http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2014/may/01/report-ku-point-guard-naadir-tharpe-transfer/) that Tharpe's daughter is doing well right now, though she was ill in the past.
Naadir and I have talked numerous times since he’s been here about his role and about his situation back home with his daughter,” Self said. “He’s told me many times how much he misses his little girl and she’s had some health issues that has certainly made it difficult for him to be away from her for this extended period of time. She’s doing very well now, but Naadir approached me after the season was over about him wanting to be closer to her. This is his decision to try and accomplish that.

Seems plausible that Tharpe would like to use the daughter's illness to get a waiver to play next season without sitting out; if so, Self's comments are interesting. One the one hand, they confirm a "clean" reason for Tharpe to transfer, but on the other, they seemingly undercut a possible waiver request.

Olympic Fan
05-03-2014, 01:34 PM
The entire idea of granting waivers for players moving closer to home because of ailing relatives has come into question.

The NCAA doesn't want to get into the quagmire of checking the pulse of every supposed sick relative, but they know that it's often used as an excuse to transfer. So in the abstract, the issue will be debated at this summer's convention. One of the arguments is that if you're really moving home to be near an ailing relative, then spend time with them in your transfer year ... don't play basketball.

I don't know what's going to happen here, but I've been assured there will be at lot fewer transfer waivers in coming years ...

PS The NCAA is also going to debate the loophole that lets seniors with eligibility left graduate and then seek "grad school" options somewhere else. That's been one of the most abused NCAA rules on the books.

Henderson
05-03-2014, 01:48 PM
I suspect this thread is going to fade away soon anyway, but could we get the title changed to spell Naadir Tharpe's name correctly? It seems ... I dunno, disrespectful as it is.

BD80
05-03-2014, 04:10 PM
... Let's hope he's done with the selfies, though. Self not a fan of the selfie.

Isn't May the month to love thy selfie?

JasonEvans
05-05-2014, 08:50 AM
The entire idea of granting waivers for players moving closer to home because of ailing relatives has come into question.

The NCAA doesn't want to get into the quagmire of checking the pulse of every supposed sick relative, but they know that it's often used as an excuse to transfer. So in the abstract, the issue will be debated at this summer's convention. One of the arguments is that if you're really moving home to be near an ailing relative, then spend time with them in your transfer year ... don't play basketball.

I don't know what's going to happen here, but I've been assured there will be at lot fewer transfer waivers in coming years ...

PS The NCAA is also going to debate the loophole that lets seniors with eligibility left graduate and then seek "grad school" options somewhere else. That's been one of the most abused NCAA rules on the books.

If by "abused" you mean "used by players to go where they want without the draconian laws of the NCAA preventing their movement" then I fully agree.

Until the day comes that scholarships are guaranteed for more than one season, I will consider the transfer rules to be an unfair and immoral restraint on these players. Can we please make this system about educating the players at least a little bit and not just have it be about schools making big money off athletics?!?!

-Jason "sorry to sidetrack the thread..." Evans

COYS
05-05-2014, 10:07 AM
If by "abused" you mean "used by players to go where they want without the draconian laws of the NCAA preventing their movement" then I fully agree.

Until the day comes that scholarships are guaranteed for more than one season, I will consider the transfer rules to be an unfair and immoral restraint on these players. Can we please make this system about educating the players at least a little bit and not just have it be about schools making big money off athletics?!?!

-Jason "sorry to sidetrack the thread..." Evans

Right on. Saves me the trouble of a lengthy post in defense of the players who claim slightly dubious waivers. If a scholarship isn't guaranteed for 4 seasons, then the transferring player should suffer no penalty for acting in their best interests. We like to see players bide their time and blossom after paying their dues. However, it is never guaranteed that a player will get their chance. Heck, they could essentially be cut and lose their scholly or transfer (See: Calipari and UK in 2009). I agree that college basketball isn't little league and playing time isn't guaranteed, but the universities should be required to make a commitment to a kid for four years. If that happens, then the transfer rule makes some sense. Until that time, all it does is punish kids who find themselves in difficult circumstances that are often beyond their control.