PDA

View Full Version : Winston in trouble again

Olympic Fan
04-30-2014, 12:53 PM
Apparently, Heisman trophy candidate Jameis Winston was cited for shoplifting crab legs from a super market:

http://www.tomahawknation.com/2014/4/30/5668004/jameis-winston-arrested-shoplifting-crab-legs-publix

The story cited above reports that he will be suspended from the baseball team -- no idea how long or whether there will be any football penalties (yeah -- right).

brevity
04-30-2014, 12:59 PM
Jameis Winston should know better than to reveal any criminal tendencies in Publix. (Where did he try to hide the crab legs, anyway?)

The best two parts of the article:

The timing of the citation is interesting given that the NCAA recently approved unlimited meals for student athletes.

I don't know how university cafeterias work, but at Vegas buffets, they charge more for crab legs.

Tomahawk Nation has reached out to Florida State for comment and will update this story as it unfolds.

Related: Fried soft-shell crabs meuniere (http://www.andthevalleyshook.com/atvs-recipes/2012/12/14/3765100/cookin-atvs-style-fried-soft-shelled-crabs-meuniere)

It's a recipe from SB Nation's fansite for LSU.

BD80
04-30-2014, 01:20 PM
Jameis Winston should know better than to reveal any criminal tendencies in Publix. (Where did he try to hide the crab legs, anyway?)

The best two parts of the article:

I don't know how university cafeterias work, but at Vegas buffets, they charge more for crab legs.

It's a recipe from SB Nation's fansite for LSU.

My favorites so far:

Free Seafood University

FSU is about to get hit with a Show Claws penalty

Duvall
04-30-2014, 01:55 PM
Winston suspended. (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10861565/jameis-winston-florida-state-seminoles-cited-shoplifting)

A source told SB Nation that Winston will be fined $30, required to do community service and suspended from FSU's baseball team, with whom he's 1-0 with a 1.50 ERA in 16 appearances this spring. Winston was named to the preseason All-America third team as a utility player by Baseball America.

The wheels of justice spin quickly in Tallahassee...sometimes.

BD80
04-30-2014, 02:03 PM
Winston suspended. (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10861565/jameis-winston-florida-state-seminoles-cited-shoplifting)

The wheels of justice spin quickly in Tallahassee...sometimes.

Suspended from the BASEBALL team.

In other news, every SEC football player (and each unc football and basketball player) has been added to the school's baseball roster.

Henderson
04-30-2014, 02:13 PM
Sounds like a big misunderstanding to me. The NCAA should have been clearer that although athletes may now have unlimited food, they still have to pay for it if they get it from Publix.

Manager: Ah, just take 'em and get out of here, Winston.
Winston: No, that would constitute an impermissible benefit, and I don't want to jeopardize my eligibility by doing anything stupid. Please call the cops.

Edit P.S.: Yes, if he had been given the crab legs, he would have lost his eligibility. But since he stole them, he can suit up this fall.

jimsumner
04-30-2014, 02:36 PM
FSU's press release

" 'As a result of his citation last night, we are suspending Jameis Winston from the baseball team,” said FSU Baseball Coach Mike Martin. “I am confident he will complete his community service obligation and the situation will be resolved soon.”

FSU’s Athletic Department Code of Conduct/Discipline Policy provides that a student-athlete with a civil citation is eligible to practice and compete. The decision as to whether they are allowed to practice and/or compete rests with the head coach.

“I fully support Coach Martin’s decision and will also make sure that Jameis meets all obligations, which I know he will,” said FSU Football Coach Jimbo Fisher."

I hope they don't slap his throwing wrist.

JasonEvans
04-30-2014, 05:31 PM
Edit P.S.: Yes, if he had been given the crab legs, he would have lost his eligibility. But since he stole them, he can suit up this fall.

This is the most delightful piece of NCAA lunacy EVER! To put it in even easier to understand terms...

If Winston stuck his hand in the cash register, grabbed a stack of $20s, and ran from the store, knocking over an old lady in the process, the NCAA would not care all that much about it.

But, if the store owner handed him a stack of $20s and the old lady paid him $5 for his autograph on the way out, the NCAA would probably bar him from playing for a year.

-Jason "NCAA logic -- its stupidtastic!" Evans

oldnavy
04-30-2014, 05:36 PM
Unfortunately I don't think that Winston gets it yet. Let's hope he get's his head out of his rear end soon or he will become the subject of another ESPN documentary.

Duvall
04-30-2014, 05:42 PM
This is the most delightful piece of NCAA lunacy EVER! To put it in even easier to understand terms...

If Winston stuck his hand in the cash register, grabbed a stack of $20s, and ran from the store, knocking over an old lady in the process, the NCAA would not care all that much about it.

But, if the store owner handed him a stack of $20s and the old lady paid him $5 for his autograph on the way out, the NCAA would probably bar him from playing for a year.

-Jason "NCAA logic -- its stupidtastic!" Evans

You seem to have mistaken jurisdictional awareness for stupidity. Unless you are actually arguing that the NCAA should start penalizing student-athletes for criminal violations instead of leaving such matters to local law enforcement, which would be a crazy idea.

Henderson
04-30-2014, 05:46 PM
You seem to have mistaken jurisdictional awareness for stupidity. Unless you are actually arguing that the NCAA should start penalizing student-athletes for criminal violations instead of leaving such matters to local law enforcement, which would be a crazy idea.

That would be nutty. Mitch McGary says don't bogart those crab legs.

Here is a Turtle
04-30-2014, 05:47 PM
But did he have Old Bay?

Henderson
04-30-2014, 05:52 PM
But did he have Old Bay?

Good question. Can't assault crab legs without it.

SupaDave
04-30-2014, 06:29 PM

Winston is getting assaulted on social media. I've seen some pretty hilarious stuff.

Between this and Jason and Henderson's conversation I've had flashbacks of Peter Warrick and Laverneus Coles. Same type of situation but Coles had to sit the year. Winston will be back on the baseball diamond in a month - more in the mold of Warrick.

But crab legs? Man, that's boneheaded. I teach all my younger cousins to find girls who like to cook and be their friend - you'll never go hungry.

Here is a Turtle
04-30-2014, 06:35 PM

Old Bay is used in Las Vegas? I thought it was more of a east coast, southern United States deal.

Henderson
04-30-2014, 06:36 PM
Coach K has advocated for a college hoops commissioner. Maybe there should be a broader NCAA commissioner to bring rationality to all this stuff. I nominate Adam Silver. He's a Duke guy, so he can handle both jobs.

OldPhiKap
04-30-2014, 08:46 PM

arnie
04-30-2014, 09:03 PM

Totally agree. It's easy to pile on against the NCAA these days, but theft/shoplifting must be handled by the police- not the NCAA. I'd rather see serious and informed complaints about NCAA policies rather than constant drivel.

devildeac
04-30-2014, 10:23 PM
My favorites so far:

Free Seafood University

FSU is about to get hit with a Show Claws penalty

I just gotta believe somewhere/somehow Spurrier had a hand/voice in this new moniker for our criminal brethren down in Tallahassee...

:rolleyes:

Edouble
05-01-2014, 12:15 AM
How did the Terps let Winston get away? I can't believe they didn't sign this kid.

BigWayne
05-01-2014, 03:05 AM
How did the Terps let Winston get away? I can't believe they didn't sign this kid.
Those blue crabs are small fry. Hardly worth the time. He was looking for bigger fish to fry.

dukelifer
05-01-2014, 05:59 AM
Unfortunately I don't think that Winston gets it yet. Let's hope he get's his head out of his rear end soon or he will become the subject of another ESPN documentary.

Another dumb action by this guy. These players may look like grown men but they are still kids. He did not forget to pay as he said. He stole them and felt that either it was okay or he would not get in trouble because of who he is. The kid has talent but his immaturity may bite him. The question is whether he will learn.

OldPhiKap
05-01-2014, 07:22 AM

But Gary said that they were in Alaska, as far as the ACC was concerned.

Maybe Winston was watching Deadliest Catch and just wanted in on the action!

MCFinARL
05-01-2014, 09:13 AM
Totally agree. It's easy to pile on against the NCAA these days, but theft/shoplifting must be handled by the police- not the NCAA. I'd rather see serious and informed complaints about NCAA policies rather than constant drivel.

Um, then why are you hanging around a fan message board? :D

Seriously, DBR is generally a pretty erudite message board, and if you would like to see more erudition and less shooting from the lip I'm fine with your saying so. But "constant drivel" seems a bit harsh, as well as unnecessarily unkind to another poster.

arnie
05-01-2014, 11:46 AM
Um, then why are you hanging around a fan message board? :D

Seriously, DBR is generally a pretty erudite message board, and if you would like to see more erudition and less shooting from the lip I'm fine with your saying so. But "constant drivel" seems a bit harsh, as well as unnecessarily unkind to another poster.

I guess I'm in the minority that thinks the NCAA serves an important function and find some of the attacks to be absurd. I also don't believe statements that scholarship athletes are starving. Anyway that's why I reacted to a post that I thought to be without merit.

MCFinARL
05-01-2014, 12:08 PM
I guess I'm in the minority that thinks the NCAA serves an important function and find some of the attacks to be absurd. I also don't believe statements that scholarship athletes are starving. Anyway that's why I reacted to a post that I thought to be without merit.

I think it's possible for the NCAA to serve an important function and still make some rules and policies, or pursue some enforcement strategies, that are fairly easy to criticize. Granted, Duvall's original point about jurisdiction in this case seems pretty sound. And granted scholarship athletes probably are not starving (Jameis Winston's desperate grab for crab legs notwithstanding), although that doesn't necessarily mean it was a bad idea for the NCAA to change its rule on snacks.

Bottom line, though, I was reacting more to your tone than to your message. Some posters like to point out ironies and possible hypocrisy, or at least inconsistencies, in NCAA actions and inactions, and sometimes those comments aren't going to withstand close scrutiny, as in this case. But calling the post "complete drivel" seemed to me more like an ad hominem attack than a straightforward disagreement with the post. That being said, I am not the official (or unofficial) manners police; if I misread your intent, my apologies.

Reilly
05-01-2014, 03:47 PM
From his statement: "In a moment of youthful ignorance, I walked out of the store without paying for one of my items."

So, did he pay for other items at the same time? Was this a self check-out deal where he scanned some items but not others?

I thought it was the honey badger who takes what he wants ...

oldnavy
05-01-2014, 05:12 PM
If someone doesn't intervene with this kid he is going to keep on until he hurts someone or himself. He seems to think that he can do whatever he wants and just smile and talk his way out of it. So far he has.

sagegrouse
05-01-2014, 05:25 PM
If someone doesn't intervene with this kid he is going to keep on until he hurts someone or himself. He seems to think that he can do whatever he wants and just smile and talk his way out of it. So far he has.

He may already have but the DA and the Tallahassee police let him skate.

allenmurray
05-01-2014, 05:31 PM

He completely gets it -why would he ever think he couldn't get away with it. If you are allowed to get away with rape of course you will think you are allowed petty theft. He had no reason to believe this would be taken seriously, and every reason to think it would be overlooked.

oldnavy
05-01-2014, 05:46 PM
He completely gets it -why would he ever think he couldn't get away with it. If you are allowed to get away with rape of course you will think you are allowed petty theft. He had no reason to believe this would be taken seriously, and every reason to think it would be overlooked.

Yes I am afraid you are right. No one is doing this kid any favors, sad to see.

lotusland
05-02-2014, 07:24 AM
Winston is entering the NFL draft right?

MCFinARL
05-02-2014, 07:59 AM

Not this year--the thought was that he would be in the 2015 draft, where as of now his stock is apparently going down pretty fast. http://nfl.si.com/2014/04/30/jameis-winston-2015-nfl-draft-stock/

Dr. Rosenrosen
05-02-2014, 08:07 AM
Not this year--the thought was that he would be in the 2015 draft, where as of now his stock is apparently going down pretty fast. http://nfl.si.com/2014/04/30/jameis-winston-2015-nfl-draft-stock/
I do wonder how much stock (haha) one should put into comments like these. Couldn't these scouts and front office execs be saying these things in order to try to influence overall perception of Winston in the hopes of maybe snagging him while others turn away? I realize the 2015 draft (and draft order) are very far away and so no one could really deploy much pre-2015 draft strategy at this point. But the guy is talented and you have to figure most will be singing his praises all over again come spring 2015.

MCFinARL
05-02-2014, 08:20 AM
I do wonder how much stock (haha) one should put into comments like these. Couldn't these scouts and front office execs be saying these things in order to try to influence overall perception of Winston in the hopes of maybe snagging him while others turn away? I realize the 2015 draft (and draft order) are very far away and so no one could really deploy much pre-2015 draft strategy at this point. But the guy is talented and you have to figure most will be singing his praises all over again come spring 2015.

Yes, you are right, of course. It could be strategic or, maybe even more likely this far from the 2015 draft, it could just be that in the immediate wake of this incident, no one called by a reporter wants to say "we don't care whether Winston gets in trouble with the law."

On the other hand, NFL execs may be more concerned about "character" issues than they used to be, if only because they would like to avoid the headaches that come with high-profile bad behavior by athletes and therefore may want to avoid likely candidates. Winston's ability to stay out of trouble over the next year will probably make a big difference. If he does, this may all be forgotten. If anything further happens, or if team issues suggest he may be uncoachable, his stock could indeed drop.

Bob Green
05-02-2014, 10:31 AM

Football players, like baseball players, have to stay in college for three years. Winston redshirted so he will be eligible for the NFL draft at the end of his sophomore season.

Mudge
05-02-2014, 11:01 AM
Yes I am afraid you are right. No one is doing this kid any favors, sad to see.

Actually, that is precisely the problem-- as it is with most talented athletes (see Pete Rose, Michael Vick, Allan Iverson, Aaron Hernandez, for example)-- everyone is doing this kid all kinds of favors, including some real solids-- like helping him get off from a rape charge/conviction... for him, this is great, as long as it keeps working-- until he runs into the wall-- e.g.- the person or institution that isn't interested in cutting him some minor or major break...

The bottom line, for me-- this kid isn't really that good (I was thoroughly unimpressed with him in his game against Duke last year), and I seriously doubt we will ever see him sticking with an NFL team (guys like him, without as many entitlement and character issues, are a dime a dozen in the NFL)-- at which point, he will revert to form, and end up in place not too dissimilar to Aaron Hernandez (who has settled in quite nicely in jail, and is now up on charges for punching out another inmate, and making death threats against a prison guard who tried to foil Hernandez's plans for obtaining extra food in jail-- do you see a common thread here with athletes and their food/eating issues-- Shabazz Napier, where are you?)

lotusland
05-02-2014, 11:30 AM
Football players, like baseball players, have to stay in college for three years. Winston redshirted so he will be eligible for the NFL draft at the end of his sophomore season.

oh yeah I completely forgot the 3-yr rule for football. I think Clowney would have been better off sitting out last year rather than risking an injury or, as it turned out, not living up to hype. It's probably different for a QB though but I doubt he can improve his stock much more paying another yr.

BD80
05-02-2014, 11:43 AM
I thought the crab step (aka Euro step) was a basketball skill?

kAzE
05-02-2014, 01:25 PM

Bob Green
05-02-2014, 01:39 PM
Julian's Main Page article:

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2014/5/2/5674918/publix-accused-of-giving-free-food-to-fsu-players

makes it sound like Winston was covering for the rest of the team.

ESPN's Marcellus Winston thinks the Publix has been giving food to FSU football players for years (http://www.chatsports.com/ncaa/a/Has-Publix-Secretly-Been-Giving-Away-Food-To-Florida-State-Players-10-205-2167) and that Winston just copped a plea to spare everyone else.

Marcellus Wiley ✔ @marcelluswiley
Follow Jameis Winston's 'falling on the sword' 2 protect his teammates & 'higher ups' who knew of this Publix taking care of players for years!
#YO3:50 PM - 1 May 2014

Henderson
05-02-2014, 06:17 PM
This doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If Publix was in the habit of giving food to FSU players, why was Winston busted for the crab legs? Some assistant manager hadn't gotten the memo, busted Winston, and Winston gamely didn't tell him or the cops of the arrangement?

lotusland
05-02-2014, 06:50 PM
This doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If Publix was in the habit of giving food to FSU players, why was Winston busted for the crab legs? Some assistant manager hadn't gotten the memo, busted Winston, and Winston gamely didn't tell him or the cops of the arrangement?

Maybe a Florida fan?

Dr. Rosenrosen
05-02-2014, 07:02 PM
Can't you just see the recruiting war in action...

Jimbo: "Classes are easy and you'll get all the crab legs you can eat."

Larry: "Classes are optional and you can have any car you want."

MCFinARL
05-03-2014, 10:00 AM

Agree it seems odd, but that is a possibility. I suppose it is also a possibility he may have been observed by a police officer who happened to be in the store at the time.

On the other hand, if you think about it, randomly shoplifting a package of crab legs when you are a very high profile athlete seems pretty odd as well--not sure one explanation clearly makes more sense than the other. If Winston took the risk because he assumed he would suffer no consequences, that suggests there may at least have been a history of players helping themselves at the store, whether the policy was ever clearly expressed or not.

Reilly
05-03-2014, 10:51 AM
Can't you just see the recruiting war in action...

Jimbo: "Classes are easy and you'll get all the crab legs you can eat."

Larry: "Classes are optional and you can have any car you want."

Roy: "Classes are optional and you can have any car you want. And you can live in my house on a golf course."

OldPhiKap
05-03-2014, 04:27 PM
Roy: "Classes are optional and you can have any car you want. And you can live in my house on a golf course."

And you can babysit his kin, too.

oldnavy
05-04-2014, 07:14 AM
I wonder what this Publix's record for prosecution shoplifting has been over the years? I suspect that had a young black man, white man, Asian man, Hispanic man, etc.. NOT enrolled at FSU as a major sports star had been caught hauling goods out of the store, the outcome would be quite different for that fellow.

There has been something about Winston that I have been uncomfortable with all along. He seems too... "charming". He comes across to me as a kid that knows what the buttons are that he needs to push when he needs to push them to turn on his "charm".

Sort of like an Eddie Haskell personality if you know what I mean. He has a public side that seems fine and cute, but his actions clearly demonstrate that he has little regard for doing the right things.

Oh, once he caught he becomes such a nice kid....

I don't know, but I just have a bad feeling about his future. I have a bad feeling that he may take it too far one day and his protectors will not be able to help him.

I really hope that he straightens up.

MCFinARL
05-04-2014, 09:41 AM
I wonder what this Publix's record for prosecution shoplifting has been over the years? I suspect that had a young black man, white man, Asian man, Hispanic man, etc.. NOT enrolled at FSU as a major sports star had been caught hauling goods out of the store, the outcome would be quite different for that fellow.

There has been something about Winston that I have been uncomfortable with all along. He seems too... "charming". He comes across to me as a kid that knows what the buttons are that he needs to push when he needs to push them to turn on his "charm".

Sort of like an Eddie Haskell personality if you know what I mean. He has a public side that seems fine and cute, but his actions clearly demonstrate that he has little regard for doing the right things.

Oh, once he caught he becomes such a nice kid....

I don't know, but I just have a bad feeling about his future. I have a bad feeling that he may take it too far one day and his protectors will not be able to help him.

I really hope that he straightens up.

"Hello, Mrs. Cleaver, is Theodore home? That's a lovely dress you are wearing today."

plimnko
05-04-2014, 06:16 PM
http://www.wralsportsfan.com/winston-reinstated-to-florida-state-baseball-team/13617782/

Reilly
05-04-2014, 07:31 PM
... Sort of like an Eddie Haskell personality if you know what I mean. ...

Does that make Jimbo Lumpy?

BD80
05-04-2014, 08:51 PM
http://www.wralsportsfan.com/winston-reinstated-to-florida-state-baseball-team/13617782/

I hear he finished his 20 hour commitment in less than half a day

MCFinARL
05-05-2014, 11:05 AM

It's amazing what you can do with 5 Hour Energy!

lotusland
05-05-2014, 02:44 PM

School officials confirmed Winston will perform his community service hours in the athletic department community by warming up catchers and receivers for 20 hours give or take. However he will be banned from choosing team restaurants during those 20-ish hours.

BD80
05-05-2014, 04:21 PM
School officials confirmed Winston will perform his community service hours in the athletic department community by warming up catchers and receivers for 20 hours give or take. However he will be banned from choosing team restaurants during those 20-ish hours.

I also hear he was suspended from the baseball team for three games. How much rest does a starting pitcher get between starts?

rasputin
05-05-2014, 04:57 PM
I also hear he was suspended from the baseball team for three games. How much rest does a starting pitcher get between starts?

He's the closer.

Henderson
05-13-2014, 09:30 PM
Here's the Winston police report (http://www.cbssports.com/images/collegefootball/Jameis-Winston-Citation-Report.pdf). He ran off with 3 lbs. of crab legs (with Old Bay seasoning) and a pound of crawfish (cajun seasoning on that one). Still unclear whether he also swiped some butter. The store reported the incident after Winston left, and the store told the police that they wanted to prosecute. Kind of discredits the idea that this particular store was open for FSU players to take free food as a matter of policy.

devildeac
05-13-2014, 10:02 PM
Here's the Winston police report (http://www.cbssports.com/images/collegefootball/Jameis-Winston-Citation-Report.pdf). He ran off with 3 lbs. of crab legs (with Old Bay seasoning) and a pound of crawfish (cajun seasoning on that one). Still unclear whether he also swiped some butter. The store reported the incident after Winston left, and the store told the police that they wanted to prosecute. Kind of discredits the idea that this particular store was open for FSU players to take free food as a matter of policy.

WTH? No red potatoes, smoked sausage or fresh ears of corn to accompany those crab legs and crawfish?

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/frogmore-stew/

Henderson
07-31-2014, 08:27 AM
WTH? No red potatoes, smoked sausage or fresh ears of corn to accompany those crab legs and crawfish?

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/frogmore-stew/

Winston apparently prefers squirrel meat with his shellfish. http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/24643321/report-jameis-winston-handcuffed-by-police-over-pellet-gun-in-2012

This isn't new trouble, just previously unreported trouble. This time with a pellet gun.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
07-31-2014, 08:31 AM
Winston apparently prefers squirrel meat with his shellfish. http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/24643321/report-jameis-winston-handcuffed-by-police-over-pellet-gun-in-2012

This isn't new trouble, just previously unreported trouble. This time with a pellet gun.

I could have sworn I had heard about this before.

All of these things are rather petty crimes, but taken as a whole makes him sound like a bratty teenager. Oh, wait...

NYBri
07-31-2014, 09:48 AM

Excellent!

Henderson
07-31-2014, 10:24 AM
I could have sworn I had heard about this before.

I missed what you and others undoubtedly saw: It did get mentioned late last year, but kinda buried and without detail. http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10045666/jameis-winston-florida-state-seminoles-questioned-bb-gun-battle-records-show Now we have detail. "I was hunting squirrels. Because there are fewer crabs in the trees outside my apartment complex."

Duvall
07-31-2014, 10:26 AM
I missed what you and others undoubtedly saw: It did get mentioned late last year, but kinda buried and without detail. http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10045666/jameis-winston-florida-state-seminoles-questioned-bb-gun-battle-records-show

This actually seems to be a separate incident, though possibly involving the same pellet guns. Cruelty to animals is a new wrinkle, though.