PDA

View Full Version : Comparison between Duke, State and UNC

Bluedawg
09-09-2007, 02:19 PM
Yes, before I get jumped on there is one. All three are in similar situations and two of the three will have similar results.

Both State and UNC have new coaches this year. What Coach Davis has found out is that, although Coach Bunting may not have been the best game day coach he established a solid foundation for Coach Davis to inherit. Coach O'Brian is finding out that Coach Amato may not have laid the solid foundation that everyone thought he had based on his inflated # of wins as a result of the cupcake schedule he ran. Coach O'Brian has a harder road than i think he thought he would have.

Now to Duke. Like Bunting Coach Roof may not be the best game day coach but, like Davis and like Roy Williams after following Matt Doherty, whoever follows Roof will find that he has laid an outstandingly solid foundation.

chrishoke
09-09-2007, 03:55 PM
"outstandingly solid foundation"

Little hyperbole there considering we are on course to set the Div. IA record for consecutive losses. There is some decent talent on the team. Man am I tired of losing.:(

Bluedawg
09-09-2007, 05:20 PM
"outstandingly solid foundation"

Little hyperbole there considering we are on course to set the Div. IA record for consecutive losses. There is some decent talent on the team. Man am I tired of losing.:(

Don't think its hyperbole. Considering what he found when he took over it ahs comd a long way. BTW, the foundation extends beyond just talent. Roof has had a steep hill to climb.

chrishoke
09-09-2007, 07:47 PM
OK - just curious, why then have his teams performed worse and won less than even Franks and Goldsmith?

I have supported Ted in every way possible, going to games home and away, practices, iron dukes, blue devil club luncheons, football club dinners with the coach - I know Ted is learning on the job - we have been patient - the reality is that we are the worst team in IA and Ted has led us there - we are a joke in college football - so no, I respectfully don't believe we have a great foundation to build on.

With all that said, I'll be following every play the rest of the season and supporting our guys and coaches 100%. Go Duke - Beat Northwestern!

Bluedawg
09-10-2007, 09:04 AM
OK - just curious, why then have his teams performed worse and won less than even Franks and Goldsmith?

I have supported Ted in every way possible, going to games home and away, practices, iron dukes, blue devil club luncheons, football club dinners with the coach - I know Ted is learning on the job - we have been patient - the reality is that we are the worst team in IA and Ted has led us there - we are a joke in college football - so no, I respectfully don't believe we have a great foundation to build on.

With all that said, I'll be following every play the rest of the season and supporting our guys and coaches 100%. Go Duke - Beat Northwestern!

When Ted arrived there was no established red shirt program, no depth, his starters had to play 70-75 snaps per game instead of the usual 40-45. The adminstration is finally looking at upgrading the facilities, he is moving to make the recuritment national by playing the upper tier schools and if you look at what other schools the freshmen have considered you will see he is not taking the bottom tier of recruits.

Is he the best game day coach? I'm thinking probably not, but don't get caught up in the muck of thinking that game day is the only job of a coach and don't deny him the credit he deserves.

JasonEvans
09-10-2007, 09:25 AM
the reality is that we are the worst team in IA

I come with good news!! Duke is not the worst team in Division I-A!! According to the Sagarin Rankings (http://www.kiva.net/~jsagarin/sports/cfsend.htm) there are several Division I-A teams worse than us.

Duke's Sagarin ranking is 51.24, good for 150th place in the rankings. Fla International (155), North Texas (160), Rice (174), Eastern Michigan (185), and Temple (188) are all behind us in the rankings.

By the way, for anyone wondering, App State is #53. The notion that thier upset of Michigan was in the same ballpark as Chaminade beating Virginia is ludicrous. Michigan is ranked #69 by Sagarin, by the way.

Also worth a mention that NC State and UNC are pretty bad according to Sagarin so we may have a shot at beating one of them. State is ranked right next to Virginia and we certainly had our chances against UVA... ooops, just realized that thanks to the new-and-improved ACC we don't get a chancew to play State this year. Oh joy!!

--Jason "what is the over-under on how many points Ga Tech scores on us? 40? 45? 50? More?" Evans

chrishoke
09-10-2007, 04:54 PM
Wow, Jason, that is good news. The bad news is that here are the teams ranked just ahead of Duke:

Nicholls State
Middle Tennessee
Lafayette
Yale
Stephen F. Austin
Tulane
SC State
Northwestern State
Army
Duke

Many of those are IAA teams. Pretty sad.:(

Duke is ranked 151. The lowest ranked team left on our schedule is Northwestern at 78. Looks like 0-12, here we come.

Go Duke. Beat Northwestern!