PDA

View Full Version : UNC "Happy" --starring Fedora, Roy and others

diablesseblu
04-23-2014, 10:12 PM
I know Carolina is in "full on" PR mode, but this is too much. Enjoy!

http://www.news-record.com/blogs/sports_extra/article_4ea50420-cb28-11e3-8390-001a4bcf6878.html

brevity
04-23-2014, 10:31 PM
Patches O'Houlihan (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18ASBsQfXnw), may he rest in peace, was wrong. Apparently there are six Ds:

1. Dodge
2. Duck
3. Dip
4. Dive
5. DANCE!
6. Dodge

Someone please, PLEASE make a GIF file of the part around 1:45-1:50. You'll know what I mean.

Can't wait for the YouTube reply video, "Unhappy," starring Matt Doherty, Diamond DeShields, Larry Drew II, and the Wear twins.

diablesseblu
04-23-2014, 10:41 PM
To: brevity:

Ka-ching!! You post something here and just wait for a more erudite, humorous response than you (I!) could ever come up with. Well done!!

MCFinARL
04-24-2014, 09:49 AM
Wow. This is, um, bizarre.

Can't say it isn't appropriate though, since the message of the song is, essentially, I'm just going to ignore anything I don't like and be happy.

On the plus side, Marcus Paige carries off his Pharrell imitation quite well--and since he is an academic All-ACC who came to Carolina with good high school academics, he has no reason to be embarrassed here. And anyone who has seen Joe Breschi on the sidelines of a lacrosse game will appreciate his contrarian cameo around 2:08--he never seems like a happy guy.

UrinalCake
04-24-2014, 10:09 AM
I looked up "awkward" in the dictionary and it linked me to this video

flyingdutchdevil
04-24-2014, 10:31 AM
Wow. This is, um, bizarre.

Can't say it isn't appropriate though, since the message of the song is, essentially, I'm just going to ignore anything I don't like and be happy.

On the plus side, Marcus Paige carries off his Pharrell imitation quite well--and since he is an academic All-ACC who came to Carolina with good high school academics, he has no reason to be embarrassed here. And anyone who has seen Joe Breschi on the sidelines of a lacrosse game will appreciate his contrarian cameo around 2:08--he never seems like a happy guy.

I am angry with myself that I like Marcus Paige.

Any one else feel this way? Sigh...

aheel4ever
04-24-2014, 11:14 AM

I must say I'm pleased to see this comment. From what I've seen, and from I've been told by my daughter (UNC freshman, doesn't know him personally, just sees him on campus frequently), he seems to be a very likable guy. In addition a good student.....just a great representative of the university. Similarly as a life long alum and rabid fan of UNC (and I'm in my mid 50's), I had a hard timing coming up with any reason to dislike Jabari Parker. From all accounts, just an outstanding young man.

Both schools should be, and assuredly are, proud of these guys.

If more of the key players over the years had been like them, would the rivalry be what it is?

FerryFor50
04-24-2014, 11:21 AM
I must say I'm pleased to see this comment. From what I've seen, and from I've been told by my daughter (UNC freshman, doesn't know him personally, just sees him on campus frequently), he seems to be a very likable guy. In addition a good student.....just a great representative of the university. Similarly as a life long alum and rabid fan of UNC (and I'm in my mid 50's), I had a hard timing coming up with any reason to dislike Jabari Parker. From all accounts, just an outstanding young man.

Both schools should be, and assuredly are, proud of these guys.

If more of the key players over the years had been like them, would the rivalry be what it is?

A fair point. I'd say, likely not. There would be much less disdain for the players by opposing fanbases, which in turn would be much less disdain by the fanbases of the other fanbase.

Granted, you'd have your blind haters. But if every player on the teams were like Jabari and Paige? Flowers and puppies everywhere.

Good thing we had jerkfaces like Stackhouse, Rasheed Wallace and Joe Forte to spur us on, eh?

Reilly
04-24-2014, 11:22 AM
... as a life long alum ...

At Carolina, they give you a diploma if you are born?

Just kidding ... I know "lifelong" can simply mean long-standing ... and that to get a diploma, you have to sign up for no-show classes and copy stuff off the internet.

MCFinARL
04-24-2014, 11:37 AM
To: brevity:

Ka-ching!! You post something here and just wait for a more erudite, humorous response than you (I!) could ever come up with. Well done!!

As always, brevity is the soul of wit!

Yes, I have to fess up to liking Marcus Paige as well. Of course, since I'm not a Duke alum (parent instead, although I was a Duke fan before I was a Duke parent) and don't live in North Carolina, it may be a bit easier for me to accept my own frailty here.

BD80
04-24-2014, 12:16 PM
At Carolina, they give you a diploma if you are born? ...

Kinda the opposite of "no-show"

devildeac
04-24-2014, 12:29 PM
Patches O'Houlihan (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18ASBsQfXnw), may he rest in peace, was wrong. Apparently there are six Ds:

1. Dodge
2. Duck
3. Dip
4. Dive
5. DANCE!
6. Dodge

Someone please, PLEASE make a GIF file of the part around 1:45-1:50. You'll know what I mean.

Can't wait for the YouTube reply video, "Unhappy," starring Matt Doherty, Diamond DeShields, Larry Drew II, and the Wear twins.

You forgot Divert and Deflect but you get sporks anyway:rolleyes::p;).

BD80
04-24-2014, 12:51 PM
I kinda like it. If it were a Blue Planet production, we'd be lauding it.

That said, ol' roy is a maroon. Is that the shirt he would normally wear or did he choose it for the video?

ol' roy is the one that should be wearing Pharrell's hat, but it would look natural

Why do women's volleyball teams always win videos like this?

Olympic Fan
04-24-2014, 01:08 PM
At Carolina, they give you a diploma if you are born?Just kidding ... I know "lifelong" can simply mean long-standing ... and that to get a diploma, you have to sign up for no-show classes and copy stuff off the internet.

Over at Packpride, they have a poster who claims that a frame-by-frame review of the Wizard of Oz proves that the phony degree that the Wizard gives the Scarecrow at the end is a UNC degree ... not sure about that, but the they have posted side-by-side photos that show a striking resemblance between Roy-boy and the Scarecrow.

Edouble
04-24-2014, 01:33 PM

At that point, you are at a reading level that merits academic recognition.

Reilly
04-24-2014, 02:11 PM
Kinda the opposite of "no-show"

That's #8 on the Carolina talking points memo: "Every degree recipient was alive. These allegations are baseless."

MCFinARL
04-24-2014, 02:56 PM
I kinda like it. If it were a Blue Planet production, we'd be lauding it.

That said, ol' roy is a maroon. Is that the shirt he would normally wear or did he choose it for the video?

ol' roy is the one that should be wearing Pharrell's hat, but it would look natural

Why do women's volleyball teams always win videos like this?

Well, sure, but context is everything--Duke isn't in the middle of a major and continuing scandal about athletics and academics.

Re the women's volleyball teams, it may have something to do with the fact that women's volleyball teams are usually populated by tall, coordinated, long-legged people who look good dancing.

MarkD83
04-24-2014, 07:02 PM

Yes I do. You have to respect and admire a kid who enjoys being a college student and does well in school. And I'll say this and hope I don't lose my alumni card. You have to enjoy the fact that the coaches were willing to play along with some frivolity. College sports can be much too serious at times.

richardjackson199
04-24-2014, 07:38 PM

Absolutely - I've said it before, but Marcus Paige is an incredible player and incredible person. Did you see the story Wheat linked (I can't find it now) where he was spending time after a game with the handicapped kid who said, "You're the best, Marcus." He takes his academics seriously and is excellent in the classroom and on the court. I bet Coach K loves a kid like this too. He is great for college basketball.

That kid single-handedly saved UNC basketball this season. When they were mired in the depths of the multi-extra-benefits scandals, Paige (not Roy) pulled that team together and saved them. In that article where they quoted Roy's family, Ol Huck sounded like he was losing it and about to hang it up. Then Paige saved them against Davidson. He carried them at Michigan State and against Louisville. After it was clear Hairston washed out for being a punk, Paige, the only guy on that team who could score consistently from deep, got more and more clutch during winning time. With less than 10 minutes to go in the game he is virtually unstoppable coming off a screen. He will kill you, and I hope we devise an answer to stop him next year.

Obviously as a Duke fan I want to see him fail on the court. I enjoyed watching him cry after Iowa State knocked them out. But as a college basketball fan I have to admire what he does. He does everything Coach K stands for and Duke stands for - be excellent at what you choose to do on and off the court. Don't be a detriment to yourself or your team. Paige epitomizes all that. Yep, Paige has a swag after he kills you. I respect that too. The 92 team had one, and you need that at the highest level of competition. But Marcus Paige is everything great about college basketball. I wish he was at Duke, and I hope he goes pro next year.

But that kid will earn a UNC degree, and his will mean plenty. I took some classes at UNC over the summer (they were cheaper) and they were great classes from incredible professors who cared about teaching. UNC also has an amazing education if you want to pursue it. They would do well to demand that their athletes take advantage of what they have to offer.

And yeah, Roy is a total maroon, but I liked the video.

lotusland
04-24-2014, 08:36 PM
Am I the only one who expected to hear Keith Richards singing?

Henderson
04-24-2014, 09:53 PM

I have to say: I liked the Marcus Paige half. Well done. Oh, and the women's volleyball team at 2:20.

They should have just let Marcus Paige run with it for the whole 3 minutes. Plus the volleyball thing.

devildeac
04-24-2014, 10:10 PM
2:58 of my life that I will never recover. :(

Tripping William
04-25-2014, 11:28 AM
I looked up "awkward" in the dictionary and it linked me to this video

This is what happens when Ol' Roy gets in the dadgum Despicable Me 2 spirit.

aheel4ever
04-25-2014, 12:46 PM

Just kidding ... I know "lifelong" can simply mean long-standing ... and that to get a diploma, you have to sign up for no-show classes and copy stuff off the internet.

Kidding deserved. I think I had in my mind, "lifelong fan and alum", just didn't type it that way.

oldnavy
04-25-2014, 05:47 PM
Must be my bias, but almost everything that comes out of Chapel Hill these days seems either; fake, false, manufactured, contrived or just disingenuous.

Why is this video being put out now??

Why are all the coaches at UNC happy?

Or why does UNC want to put the message out there that they are all just bubbly??

Maybe instead of doing stupid videos they should be looking to atone for their cheating ways.

Granted, the only thing UNC could do now that would at least give me a little respect for their institution would be a full mea culpa and severe self imposed sanctions on the athletic program, but I don't see that coming in my life time.

Son of Mojo
04-26-2014, 09:10 AM
That's the best laxative I've ever watched. Or the worst. Either way, that's the effect it gave.

oldnavy
04-26-2014, 11:26 AM
That's the best laxative I've ever watched. Or the worst. Either way, that's the effect it gave.

You know, this silly video took someone a significant amount of time to pull together. There is what, a half-dozen coaches and different teams represented? Just getting on everyone's schedule had to have taken some effort.

If UNC wasn't roiling in controversy over the lack of oversight (best case) or blatant unethical/shameful behavior (most likely) in the athletic department it would be one thing and easy to blow off as just having fun, but that is not the case.

If I were responsible for UNC's image at this point, I think I would want to be putting out more substantial content than this tripe. Makes you wonder where the adults are over at UNC.

Style over Substance, "to seam, rather than to be"...