PDA

View Full Version : ACC announces conference opponents for men's hoops.

jimsumner
04-22-2014, 11:44 AM
http://www.theacc.com/#!/news-detail/ACCMBB-future-matchups_04-21-14_9wyqjq

Duvall
04-22-2014, 11:46 AM
http://www.theacc.com/#!/news-detail/ACCMBB-future-matchups_04-21-14_9wyqjq

ACC also announces UNC to be ACC regular season "champion" for 2014-2015.

jv001
04-22-2014, 11:51 AM
Thanks Jim for the schedule. Quickly jumping out at me are Duke road schedule and the UNC schedule.
Duke: /FSU, NCSU, VA. VT and Louisville. Unc= Miami, Clemson, Wake, Pitt and BC. Quite a difference in my thinking. Wonder if Swofford has any input into this, LOL. GoDuke!

Above road schedules are for road games only. I did not list home and away. GoDuke!

pfrduke
04-22-2014, 11:55 AM
For those who don't want to click through:

Duke Opponents:

Home

UNC, Wake, Syracuse, Notre Dame, Miami, Georgia Tech, Clemson, Pittsburgh, Boston College

Road

UNC, Wake, Syracuse, Notre Dame, FSU, NC State, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Louisville

OldPhiKap
04-22-2014, 11:56 AM
May be a better place for this, but below is Maryland's new conference line-up:

Home: Michigan, Minnesota, Northwestern, Wisconsin
Away: Illinois, Iowa, Ohio State, Purdue
Home/Away: Indiana, Michigan State, Nebraska, Penn State, Rutgers

So, good luck with that.

CameronBornAndBred
04-22-2014, 12:22 PM
I love our road schedule, we will be well prepared come tourney time. Aside from Carolina, I'm looking forward to the Louisville game the most, even though they won't have the same team they've been playing with the last two years. I don't expect anything like last year's game in the Carrier Dome, hopefully it will be a resounding blowout.

GGLC
04-22-2014, 12:24 PM
It's a shame we don't get home and homes with Louisville and UVa.

Also really weird not to be playing two conference games against Clemson and State, of course.

Kfanarmy
04-22-2014, 12:24 PM
Thanks Jim for the schedule. Quickly jumping out at me are Duke road schedule and the UNC schedule.
Duke: /FSU, NCSU, VA. VT and Louisville. Unc= Miami, Clemson, Wake, Pitt and BC. Quite a difference in my thinking. Wonder if Swofford has any input into this, LOL. GoDuke!

Above road schedules are for road games only. I did not list home and away. GoDuke! The pure road schedule looks pretty out of wack, but when you add in the home/road games it gets a bit more even...Duke does have a slighlty more difficult schedule, if using placement in the 2013-14 season as the measure. anyone know if there Is a methodology that is used every time to establish the pairings?

Duvall
04-22-2014, 12:26 PM
anyone know if there Is a methodology that is used every time to establish the pairings?

If there were a methodology the league wouldn't be announcing the fixtures one or two seasons at a time. They're making it up as they go along.

ice-9
04-22-2014, 12:37 PM
The pure road schedule looks pretty out of wack, but when you add in the home/road games it gets a bit more even...Duke does have a slighlty more difficult schedule, if using placement in the 2013-14 season as the measure. anyone know if there Is a methodology that is used every time to establish the pairings?

The home opponents seem much easier, and the away opponents seem much harder. So we'll end up with more blowout wins and more losses?

Dev11
04-22-2014, 01:34 PM
If there were a methodology the league wouldn't be announcing the fixtures one or two seasons at a time. They're making it up as they go along.

I bet they're also trying to see how the new teams adjust so they can easily change the rivalry system in the not so distant future. I wouldn't be surprised if the 2017 schedule came with an announcement that Syracuse and Duke will be permanent partners going forward.

Olympic Fan
04-22-2014, 02:11 PM
I bet they're also trying to see how the new teams adjust so they can easily change the rivalry system in the not so distant future. I wouldn't be surprised if the 2017 schedule came with an announcement that Syracuse and Duke will be permanent partners going forward.

I don't think this will happen. Going forward, each team is going to have just one permanent partner -- and that's going to be UNC for Duke.

I did predict that Duke-Syracuse would be home-and-home in 2014-15 for a second straight year. The ACC used the Louisville for Maryland switch as an excuse to start the rotation over. But going forward, Duke will only have a home-and home with Syracuse something like once every three years.

PS I also predicted that Duke will play at Louisville in Louisville's first season -- I'd give myself a spork, except that was about as hard to predict as the fact that the sun will come up tomorrow morning.

The ACC made sure that every one of the four new teams over the last two years got a home visit from Duke in its first ACC season ... so did Virginia Tech and Miami in 2005 and Boston College in 2006 (their first years)

Before that, the ACC still had a balanced home and home schedule, so no big deal that FSU got a visit in 1992 and Georgia Tech in 1980. But the seven teams that have joined the league with an unbalanced schedule all got (or in Louisville's case will get) a visit from Duke.

Coincidence? I think not.

PS And when the ACC announces the matchups for the ACC-A10 doubleheaders in Barclays Center -- the price for getting Barclays for the ACC Tournament -- I'll bet anything anybody wants to wager that Duke will be one of the ACC teams included. And, yes, the sun will rise in the East tomorrow.

Lar77
04-22-2014, 02:54 PM
I don't think this will happen. Going forward, each team is going to have just one permanent partner -- and that's going to be UNC for Duke.

I did predict that Duke-Syracuse would be home-and-home in 2014-15 for a second straight year. The ACC used the Louisville for Maryland switch as an excuse to start the rotation over. But going forward, Duke will only have a home-and home with Syracuse something like once every three years.

PS I also predicted that Duke will play at Louisville in Louisville's first season -- I'd give myself a spork, except that was about as hard to predict as the fact that the sun will come up tomorrow morning.

The ACC made sure that every one of the four new teams over the last two years got a home visit from Duke in its first ACC season ... so did Virginia Tech and Miami in 2005 and Boston College in 2006 (their first years)

Before that, the ACC still had a balanced home and home schedule, so no big deal that FSU got a visit in 1992 and Georgia Tech in 1980. But the seven teams that have joined the league with an unbalanced schedule all got (or in Louisville's case will get) a visit from Duke.

Coincidence? I think not.

PS And when the ACC announces the matchups for the ACC-A10 doubleheaders in Barclays Center -- the price for getting Barclays for the ACC Tournament -- I'll bet anything anybody wants to wager that Duke will be one of the ACC teams included. And, yes, the sun will rise in the East tomorrow.

Sucker bet on the Barclays. Syracuse will be the other team in the doubleheader. That should maximize metro NY and TV appeal (for some reason Clemson and VT might not have the same appeal)

I think the ACC will find a way to keep the Duke Syracuse head to head in the rotation until Coach Boeheim or K retire (and I predict K does not retire until Boeheim does)

pfrduke
04-22-2014, 03:00 PM
Sucker bet on the Barclays. Syracuse will be the other team in the doubleheader. That should maximize metro NY and TV appeal (for some reason Clemson and VT might not have the same appeal)

I think the ACC will find a way to keep the Duke Syracuse head to head in the rotation until Coach Boeheim or K retire (and I predict K does not retire until Boeheim does)

Well, Duke-Syracuse head-to-head is never going to leave the rotation (unless the conference does something stupid like expand to 20 teams). Every team will play every team at least once each year. But Duke-Syracuse home-and-home already has an expiration date - the conference rotation for 2015-2016 that was also announced today has Duke-Syracuse playing just once (in Cameron).

blazindw
04-22-2014, 03:17 PM

I think the only question will be which two A-10 teams will Duke and Cuse draw in Barclays?

Lar77
04-22-2014, 03:21 PM
Well, Duke-Syracuse head-to-head is never going to leave the rotation (unless the conference does something stupid like expand to 20 teams). Every team will play every team at least once each year. But Duke-Syracuse home-and-home already has an expiration date - the conference rotation for 2015-2016 that was also announced today has Duke-Syracuse playing just once (in Cameron).

Yep, didn't read through the article. Thanks for pointing out my error.

Olympic Fan
04-22-2014, 03:22 PM
I think the only question will be which two A-10 teams will Duke and Cuse draw in Barclays?

There will be more than one doubleheader ... not sure, but my guess is that there will be two doubleheaders (obviously on separate dates) for each of the two years that the A10 is letting the ACC use Barclays for its tournament.

That means eight ACC spots in all -- but I wouldn't rule out that Duke and 'Cuse get one spot each year.

UNC, Louisville are the other two sure participants.

DarkstarWahoo
04-22-2014, 03:22 PM
It's a shame we don't get home and homes with Louisville and UVa.

Also really weird not to be playing two conference games against Clemson and State, of course.

I hate the "principal partners" thing with all my heart. My Wahoos miss out on home-and-homes with teams we actually care about (i.e. you guys and Chapel Hill) to double up on VT and Louisville. At least the latter should help our SOS for the foreseeable future, but otherwise, YAWN. I get the reasoning - Louisville slots into the Maryland slot and makes it easy to do the schedule, and we get VT because they beat us that one time back when Ace Custis was there - but it sucks.

They need to get rid of all principal partnerships, or at least just be honest, make nice for the TV partners and make sure they get Duke-UNC twice. None of the other "rivalries" move the needle one bit.

Lar77
04-22-2014, 03:52 PM
I hate the "principal partners" thing with all my heart. My Wahoos miss out on home-and-homes with teams we actually care about (i.e. you guys and Chapel Hill) to double up on VT and Louisville. At least the latter should help our SOS for the foreseeable future, but otherwise, YAWN. I get the reasoning - Louisville slots into the Maryland slot and makes it easy to do the schedule, and we get VT because they beat us that one time back when Ace Custis was there - but it sucks.

They need to get rid of all principal partnerships, or at least just be honest, make nice for the TV partners and make sure they get Duke-UNC twice. None of the other "rivalries" move the needle one bit.

I think you might be stuck with VT if I correctly recall how VT got into the conference.

It may eventually turn out that TV/alumni pressure will dictate future scheduling. Or the ACC could add some more teams, split into divisions, and go back to more home and home. I have a feeling that football will continue to dictate how conferences will rearrange in the future and that will in turn determine who plays whom in basketball.

tbyers11
04-22-2014, 04:02 PM

VCU will definitely be one of the A10 teams. I wouldn't bet any $$ on the other. GW, Dayton, St Louis, UMass, St Joe's seem likely possibilities. None of those seem to have much of a Q rating, though.

devildeac
04-22-2014, 05:41 PM
VCU will definitely be one of the A10 teams. I wouldn't bet any $$ on the other. GW, Dayton, St Louis, UMass, St Joe's seem likely possibilities. None of those seem to have much of a Q rating, though.

Q rating? Well, ok, you asked:

http://www.fiery-foods.com/smoking-101/167-regional-america/2054-the-north-carolina-bbquest-rating-the-cue-with-dr-bbq

Oh wait, wrong thread:o.

Here is a Turtle
04-22-2014, 07:09 PM

Dayton just had a great run in the tournament and a good fanbase. I could see them being the other A10 team.

brevity
04-22-2014, 07:31 PM

So, good luck with that.

Wow, I haven't seen that much travel from a college team since Tyler Hansbrough's senior year.

devildeac
04-22-2014, 10:43 PM
Wow, I haven't seen that much travel from a college team since Tyler Hansbrough's senior year.

Just his senior year:rolleyes:?

What about Tami, too:o?

Reilly
04-22-2014, 10:57 PM
... What about Tami, too ...

As a rival, UNC has just been the gift that keeps on giving these past few years. I wonder if Fats would give Tami a ride to the airport to catch the shuttle, and if they served peanut butter and pepper balls in-flight .... All these fancy modes of travel for Glenwood Elementary: I say lower taxes, and have them go back to using school buses.

KenTankerous
04-23-2014, 07:59 AM
Well, I am just tickled to death you folks are coming to Louisville!!! The Yum! Center is a fantastic new venue. The development around it has good hotels, great local restaurants and night spots. If y'all need recommendations for any of that stuff when you come, hit me up.

Dr. Rosenrosen
04-23-2014, 08:41 AM
Well, I am just tickled to death you folks are coming to Louisville!!! The Yum! Center is a fantastic new venue. The development around it has good hotels, great local restaurants and night spots. If y'all need recommendations for any of that stuff when you come, hit me up.
I hear Rick has some restaurant recommendations, too... :cool:

rifraf
04-23-2014, 09:38 AM

Only if you are interested in seconds.

Kfanarmy
04-23-2014, 01:51 PM

all this talk of the Hansbroughs...can't we stick to Duke topics?

KenTankerous
04-23-2014, 05:15 PM

I DO know the booth to avoid if you go to Porcini...

Olympic Fan
04-23-2014, 05:21 PM
I talked to several ACC officials today and they said that even though the schedule was released for just the next two years, it has actually been set for the next 12 years.

You won't be seeing Duke-Syracuse home and home every year or even every other year -- it will be one year in three, alternating with a single game at Duke and a single game at the Carrier Dome. Same with Duke-Louisville ... Duke will play UNC and Wake home and home every year. For everybody else, it's the same three year rotation -- one year home-and-home; one year away only; one year home only.

And they agreed that while the matchups for the A10 doubleheaders aren't set, you can bet your bottom dollar that Duke and Syracuse will be involved.

OldPhiKap
04-23-2014, 05:30 PM

Speaking of shortening the shot clock, I guess Quick Rick is in favor.

pfrduke
04-23-2014, 05:31 PM
I talked to several ACC officials today and they said that even though the schedule was released for just the next two years, it has actually been set for the next 12 years.

You won't be seeing Duke-Syracuse home and home every year or even every other year -- it will be one year in three, alternating with a single game at Duke and a single game at the Carrier Dome. Same with Duke-Louisville ... Duke will play UNC and Wake home and home every year. For everybody else, it's the same three year rotation -- one year home-and-home; one year away only; one year home only.

And they agreed that while the matchups for the A10 doubleheaders aren't set, you can bet your bottom dollar that Duke and Syracuse will be involved.

I don't see how that works mathematically (although math has never been my strong suit).

We have 2 rotating home-and-home slots each year for 12 teams to fill (assuming we cycle through each team getting a home-and-home; not counting our two fixed home-and-home partners). How can we play each team home-and-home every three years? Doesn't it need to be every six?

Olympic Fan
04-23-2014, 08:02 PM
I don't see how that works mathematically (although math has never been my strong suit).

We have 2 rotating home-and-home slots each year for 12 teams to fill (assuming we cycle through each team getting a home-and-home; not counting our two fixed home-and-home partners). How can we play each team home-and-home every three years? Doesn't it need to be every six?

Math is not my strong suit either -- obviously. I think you are right about the distribution of home-and-home years for teams other than the two partners.

My point is that despite the TV desire for a Duke-Syracuse home and home every year (and a Duke-Louisville home and home AND a Duke-UNC home and home) that for the next 12 years, Duke won't play Syracuse or Louisville any more than the Devils will play VPI or BC.

BTW: Can I get something off my chest about scheduling? One of the tragedies of the ACC's unbalanced schedule is the damage done to the Duke-State rivalry, which is historically the third best (or most important, however you want to stay it) rivalry in ACC basketball history (after Duke-UNC and UNC-State). When the ACC announced the future schedules Tuesday the response on the State board to the fact that Duke and State only play once -- in Raleigh -- next season was taken as an opportunity to unleash the paranoia that surrounds that program. According to the majority of State posters, a single Duke-State game in Raleigh is an aberration -- that the ACC almost always schedules State to play in Durham without a return game.

The fact is that since the ACC went to an unbalanced schedule in 2005, there has been a single Duke-State game in Durham four times -- 2006, 2009, 2012, 2014. There has been a single Duke-State game in Raleigh three times -- 2005, 2007 and 2010. This year's single game in Raleigh will exactly balance the scales -- four single home games apiece (the two played home-and-home in 2008, 2011 and 2013).

Just wanted to respond to the misinformation on PackPride. I know this isn't the place, but I can't post there.

PS I am not a State hater. I admire their program's history and defend it against those who think they should have been happy with Herb Sendek's mediocrity. I very much admire the investigative work they've done on UNC's cheating scandal (outside of the N&O's Dan Kane, they've uncovered more dirt than every other professional journalist in NC put together). But they do have an institutional paranoia that shows up in stuff like this -- and their constant harping about officiating).

Reilly
04-23-2014, 08:26 PM
Speaking of shortening the shot clock, I guess Quick Rick is in favor.

See now, I had a good line about Rick's restaurant recommendation being "In-N-Out Burger" that I gave to the good doctor via a spork, thinking it wouldn't get past the DBR censors, and here you are letting it all hang out in public.

Newton_14
04-23-2014, 08:53 PM

So, good luck with that.
In my best Clubber Lang impression "I pity the fool that wears their team colors into the Comcast expecting to cheer their boys on in a great college basketball atmosphere".

Please Big 10 fans, leave your kids at home if going to College Park and no matter what wear red or yellow colors. :cool:

OldPhiKap
04-23-2014, 08:59 PM
See now, I had a good line about Rick's restaurant recommendation being "In-N-Out Burger" that I gave to the good doctor via a spork, thinking it wouldn't get past the DBR censors, and here you are letting it all hang out in public.

The key is to distract the moderators, perhaps with flattery.

In my best Clubber Lang impression "I pity the fool that wears their team colors into the Comcast expecting to cheer their boys on in a great college basketball atmosphere".

Please Big 10 fans, leave your kids at home if going to College Park and no matter what wear red or yellow colors. :cool:

Wonderful and perceptive post! You nailed the impression, for sure!

;-)

Seriously, I do not think the Big#? understands what a delusional fan base has joined. Of course, in Iowa or Nebraska, who cares.

Ps -- have to spread the love before sporking either of you or the good doctor -- must get Cupid busy.

CameronBornAndBred
04-23-2014, 09:09 PM
But they do have an institutional paranoia that shows up in stuff like this -- and their constant harping about officiating).
They aren't alone in that; Karl Hess calls our games too.

I agree with everything you said, but do want to make one opinion on the "historical" part of your post.
The ACC now has VT, Miami, FSU, Syracuse, Pitt, BC and Louisville. None of those schools were part of that history, so it makes sense that it is not considered when scheduling. Duke-UNC is broader than the ACC, it is a national game really. Take one away and way more people would care about its loss. Take away a Duke-State game, not even half the conference cares.