PDA

View Full Version : ACC Track and Field Championships

MCFinARL
04-19-2014, 02:18 PM
Duke is performing very well overall so far, with the men's team currently in second place and the women's tied for third. Unfortunately, many of tonight's events are sprints, where the team is not so strong.

Some highlights so far: Juliet Botorff won the women's 10,000 meters. Curtis Beach, somewhat surprisingly, came in third in the decathlon--but ahead of him were his teammates, sophomore Robert Rohner in first and junior Ian Rock in second. I don't know whether Beach may be conserving energy for the NCAAs or whether he just had a couple of subpar events. But Duke is developing a very impressive niche in the combined events.

And this morning, sophomore Thomas Lang won the javelin throw.

uh_no
04-19-2014, 03:10 PM
Duke is performing very well overall so far, with the men's team currently in second place and the women's tied for third. Unfortunately, many of tonight's events are sprints, where the team is not so strong.

Some highlights so far: Juliet Botorff won the women's 10,000 meters. Curtis Beach, somewhat surprisingly, came in third in the decathlon--but ahead of him were his teammates, sophomore Robert Rohner in first and junior Ian Rock in second. I don't know whether Beach may be conserving energy for the NCAAs or whether he just had a couple of subpar events. But Duke is developing a very impressive niche in the combined events.

And this morning, sophomore Thomas Lang won the javelin throw.

pshhhh...the football players are gonna roll the 4x1!

well probably not, but they have a decent chance to medal, I think. their time a few weeks ago would have put them in third last year...will they be able to get 2 good runs in today? who knows....would be fun to see though

I was planning on heading over there, but with the abysmal weather today here, I just couldn't do it....it takes a lot to get me over to hell, and with cold rainy weather, not a chance. good luck dukies!

also ran into some duke track alums that had come in from out of town to watch them run....glad to see they like to come out and support the team even after moving on in life.

roywhite
04-19-2014, 05:05 PM
pshhhh...the football players are gonna roll the 4x1!

well probably not, but they have a decent chance to medal, I think. their time a few weeks ago would have put them in third last year...will they be able to get 2 good runs in today? who knows....would be fun to see though

The 4x100 Men's team finished 6th; they improved their time to 41.15 and finished ahead of UNC. :)

In other events, frosh Haley Meier won the 1500m, and both the Men's and Women's teams continue to do well in the team scores.

MCFinARL
04-19-2014, 05:32 PM
The 4x100 Men's team finished 6th; they improved their time to 41.15 and finished ahead of UNC. :)

In other events, frosh Haley Meier won the 1500m, and both the Men's and Women's teams continue to do well in the team scores.

Hard to ask for more than that.

roywhite
04-19-2014, 08:39 PM
The ACC Track and Field Championships wrapped up, and Duke finished 4th in both the Women's and Men's final standings.

Team Scores (http://www.flashresults.com/2014_Meets/outdoor/4-17-ACC/scores.htm)

With an expanded ACC (Women -- 15 teams scored: Men -- 14 teams scored), this represents real progress for Duke's programs.

Duke's overall athletic program is at a very high level now, at least competitive in nearly every sport, and at a championship level in several.

Olympic Fan
04-21-2014, 01:54 PM
Duke's overall athletic program is at a very high level now, at least competitive in nearly every sport, and at a championship level in several.

As of this moment, Duke is ninth in the Director's Cup with a good chance to get a lot of points in tennis, golf and lacrosse. Based on the indoor season, Duke should get points in track and field too. Despite the improvement in baseball, Duke is not like to qualify for the NCAA Tournament and so no points there.

Still, Duke could move up significantly in the final standings.

(I couldn't help playing the what-if game -- Duke got minimal points for men's and women's basketball this season -- if both teams have reached the Sweet 16, Duke would currently be top three in the standings).

MCFinARL
04-21-2014, 02:21 PM
As of this moment, Duke is ninth in the Director's Cup with a good chance to get a lot of points in tennis, golf and lacrosse. Based on the indoor season, Duke should get points in track and field too. Despite the improvement in baseball, Duke is not like to qualify for the NCAA Tournament and so no points there.

Still, Duke could move up significantly in the final standings.

(I couldn't help playing the what-if game -- Duke got minimal points for men's and women's basketball this season -- if both teams have reached the Sweet 16, Duke would currently be top three in the standings).

Yes--from a Director's Cup standpoint it is a bit frustrating to have lost ground in basketball in a year where some other sports (especially but not only football) have been gaining ground. But you are right that Duke should do pretty well in the spring. Duke men's lacrosse has a chance to do extremely well, and Duke women's lacrosse should at least earn some points. And the golf and tennis teams should be pretty competitive, especially women's golf, which I think is currently ranked third nationally. Juliet Botorff and Curtis Beach are probably the keys for track and field points.