PDA

View Full Version : Duke Baseball

devildeac
04-14-2014, 04:37 PM
With our sweep of the sheep last month and winning the series from NCSU this weekend in come-from-behind fashion on Sunday, I'm thinking this gives us additional evidence to claim the phrase "Our State." ;) (Didn't check to see if/when we play the Deacs, so perhaps I'm a bit premature.:o)

chrishoke
04-14-2014, 04:44 PM
April 25-27 in Winston Salem.

mattman91
04-14-2014, 06:58 PM
With our sweep of the sheep last month and winning the series from NCSU this weekend in come-from-behind fashion on Sunday, I'm thinking this gives us additional evidence to claim the phrase "Our State." ;) (Didn't check to see if/when we play the Deacs, so perhaps I'm a bit premature.:o)

We're a baseball school now, obviously.

Dr. Rosenrosen
04-14-2014, 07:12 PM
We're a baseball school now, obviously.
Both the sheep and the farmers received votes in the most recent baseball poll. Pretty nice for the good guys.

devildeac
04-14-2014, 08:08 PM
April 25-27 in Winston Salem.

Hmmm, state championship on the line?;)

sagegrouse
04-15-2014, 01:38 PM
Hmmm... I couldn't find the details, but ten teams will make the ACC baseball playoffs. Teams #7-#10 will have a playoff game (play-in game) to see which two of these teams join the other six in a round-robin format (maybe two round-robins?).

Duke is 9-9, tied for fourth in the Coastal with UNC (tiebreaker!!!!), and tied for#7 if the two divisions are looked at together.

Maybe an ACC Tournament is in the offing?

chrishoke
04-18-2014, 09:44 PM
Duke gets a big win tonight 3-2 in 12 innings at Virginia Tech. Duke is now 10-9 in the ACC!

Olympic Fan
04-19-2014, 12:55 PM
Duke gets a big win tonight 3-2 in 12 innings at Virginia Tech. Duke is now 10-9 in the ACC!

Duke is right on the ACC Tournament bubble ... if the tournament started today, they would be in (but would not get a bye). But is they stumble down the stretch, Duke could easily miss qualifyinbg.

Friday night's win was big. The last two games in the VPI series mean a lot.

CameronBornAndBred
04-19-2014, 06:03 PM
And they win again today, 13-3 over the Hokies.

roywhite
04-20-2014, 03:27 PM
2-0 final vs VaTech

Matuella threw a scoreless 8 2/3 innings and Huber got the final out.

Duke now 12-9 in the ACC.

Duke 2 -- Va Tech 0 (http://www.hokiesports.com/baseball/live/)

chrishoke
04-20-2014, 07:03 PM
Nine ACC games left - at WF and FSU and Miami at home - all strong teams.

Olympic Fan
04-20-2014, 07:28 PM
Nine ACC games left - at WF and FSU and Miami at home - all strong teams.

Well, Miami and FSU are clearly the two best teams in the ACC, so taking one of three in both series would not be bad. Wake has exactly the same ACC record as Duke (but better overall). That's going to be a huge series that Duke needs to win.

Why?

Well, right now, Duke and Wake are tied with the sixth best record in the ACC (12-9).

The top six teams advance to the tournament proper, beginning pool play on May 11 in Greensboro.

The 7-10 teams have to play in two sudden death elimination games on May 10 in Greensboro (7 vs. 10; 8 vs. 9). Even the winners will be at a disadvantage entering pool play as they will have to expend one of their best pitchers in the play-in game.

Teams 11-15 don't qualify for the tournament, period.

So it's important to finish in the top 6 -- and that's going to be tough for Duke.

The Devils should be in good shape to finish in the top 10, which means a spot in the tournament. That's a big step forward for the program -- not sure of the last time Duke qualified for the ACC Tournament, but it's been awhile.

dpslaw
04-20-2014, 08:43 PM
Aren't Wake and Duke tied for fifth?

chrishoke
04-20-2014, 09:03 PM
Aren't Wake and Duke tied for fifth?

You are correct sir. Georgia Tech is in 7th at 11-10. All other teams have losing conference records.

CameronBornAndBred
04-20-2014, 10:12 PM
The Devils should be in good shape to finish in the top 10, which means a spot in the tournament. That's a big step forward for the program -- not sure of the last time Duke qualified for the ACC Tournament, but it's been awhile.
Last made it in 2009, and before that it was eons I think.

duketaylor
04-20-2014, 10:26 PM
FSU and Miami are clearly the 2 best teams in the conference? Where does UVA rate/rank? They were pre-season #1 in the country. I'd not look past them.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/10784692/virginia-cal-poly-stay-atop-rankings-texas-louisville-rise

chrishoke
04-21-2014, 10:25 AM
FSU and Miami are clearly the 2 best teams in the conference? Where does UVA rate/rank? They were pre-season #1 in the country. I'd not look past them.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/10784692/virginia-cal-poly-stay-atop-rankings-texas-louisville-rise

Duke has already played Virginia and took one out of three.

Olympic Fan
04-21-2014, 10:38 AM

You are right that Virginia is No. 1 -- but Duke has already played them. Virginia, FSU and Miami all have virtually identical ACC records -- FSU and Virginia are 16-5 ... Miami is 15-5.

I also erred in saying that Duke and Wake are tied for sixth ... they are (as dpslaw points out) tied for 5th ... I guess technically, they are also tied for sixth ... but that's a quibble.

My point is that Duke's current position is very fragile. Georgia Tech mau be the only other ACC team outside the top six with a winning record in conference -- but others are close, including a UNC team that I think was preseason top 10.

Things can change quickly -- Duke went from 9-9 to 12-9 with one series at Virginia Tech. This coming weekend, 10-11 UNC gets Virginia Tech in Chapel Hill for three games. They could easily be 13-11 at this time next week. What will Duke be after three games with Wake? And even after that, the Devils finish with tough series against FSU and Miami.

As I said, Duke is in great shape to finish in the top 10 and make the tournament. Making the top six and avoiding the play-in games is going to be tough -- even though Duke is there as of today.

FWIW: Here is the official ACC standings from the ACC website:

http://www.theacc.com/#!/standings?sport=m-basebl

MCFinARL
04-21-2014, 11:56 AM
I also erred in saying that Duke and Wake are tied for sixth ... they are (as dpslaw points out) tied for 5th ... I guess technically, they are also tied for sixth ... but that's a quibble.

As I said, Duke is in great shape to finish in the top 10 and make the tournament. Making the top six and avoiding the play-in games is going to be tough -- even though Duke is there as of today.

You are right that making the top six is going to be a big challenge. And I see your point about being tied for 5th versus being tied for 6th--but the difference is a bit more than a quibble. Tied for 5th means the two teams hold, collectively, spots 5 and 6, and if the tournament were seeded right now, both would be in. Tied for 6th would mean the two teams hold, collectively, spots 6 and 7, and there would only be room for one of them, presumably based on some tiebreaker, if the tournament were seeded right now.

So clearly at the moment Duke is better off than if they were tied for 6th. Unfortunately, that is not especially helpful since the tournament will not be seeded right now and there are tough games ahead.

CameronBornAndBred
04-21-2014, 12:32 PM
So clearly at the moment Duke is better off than if they were tied for 6th. Unfortunately, that is not especially helpful since the tournament will not be seeded right now and there are tough games ahead.
Knowing they are pretty much in (knock on wood), this means their tourney starts now. Consider it a longer play-in series. It is fitting that their next ACC series is against WF, the other team that is jockeying for position. And good news for Duke is that while we have a daunting schedule to play both FSU and Miami after Wake; the Deacons still have to face #1 UVA. (They also have to play State, who knows, maybe the wuffies can pick up at least a game from them.)

sagegrouse
04-21-2014, 02:07 PM
You are right that making the top six is going to be a big challenge. And I see your point about being tied for 5th versus being tied for 6th--but the difference is a bit more than a quibble. Tied for 5th means the two teams hold, collectively, spots 5 and 6, and if the tournament were seeded right now, both would be in. Tied for 6th would mean the two teams hold, collectively, spots 6 and 7, and there would only be room for one of them, presumably based on some tiebreaker, if the tournament were seeded right now.

Oh my, MCFinARL! The math wizards here are really gonna give you screen after screen of counterargument pretending to be explanation! You're a brave poster!

MCFinARL
04-21-2014, 02:12 PM
Oh my, MCFinARL! The math wizards here are really gonna give you screen after screen of counterargument pretending to be explanation! You're a brave poster!

Well, hey, is it that obvious I was an English major? I don't suppose it will be the first time I have taken a beating on DBR. ;)

Olympic Fan
04-21-2014, 02:47 PM
I don't claim to know a lot about ACC baseball, but I was just looking at the preseason poll by Baseball America. It included six ACC teams:

1. Virginia
5. NC State
6. FSU
13. Clemson
16 Miami
17 UNC

Looking at the current ACC standings, at least three of those six have been a major disappointment -- Clemson somewhat and UNC a bit, but none have been as disappointing as NC State. They returned the core of a team that played in the College World Series last season, including the guy who was supposed to be the best pitcher in the nation. Carlos Rodon has not been terrible -- he has a 2.15 ERA, but he's 3-6 for a team that's 7-14 in the ACC. ESPN picked the Pack No. 2 in the nation in their preseason poll.

It's a funny thing about ACC baseball. The league always has a lot of top teams ... a lot of ranked teams. And they usually send 1 or 2 teams a year to the College World Series (three last year). Yet, no ACC team has won a NCAA baseball title since Wake Forest in 1955 (Miami and FSU do have pre-ACC titles).

Here is a Turtle
04-21-2014, 07:50 PM
I don't claim to know a lot about ACC baseball, but I was just looking at the preseason poll by Baseball America. It included six ACC teams:

1. Virginia
5. NC State
6. FSU
13. Clemson
16 Miami
17 UNC

Looking at the current ACC standings, at least three of those six have been a major disappointment -- Clemson somewhat and UNC a bit, but none have been as disappointing as NC State. They returned the core of a team that played in the College World Series last season, including the guy who was supposed to be the best pitcher in the nation. Carlos Rodon has not been terrible -- he has a 2.15 ERA, but he's 3-6 for a team that's 7-14 in the ACC. ESPN picked the Pack No. 2 in the nation in their preseason poll.

It's a funny thing about ACC baseball. The league always has a lot of top teams ... a lot of ranked teams. And they usually send 1 or 2 teams a year to the College World Series (three last year). Yet, no ACC team has won a NCAA baseball title since Wake Forest in 1955 (Miami and FSU do have pre-ACC titles).

ACC is down in baseball, but they are still strong. 3rd in RPI with the Big 12 and SEC higher. Looking at the bracket projections for the NCAA tournament, it looks like the ACC will get 6-8 teams in.

Virginia, Clemson, Miami, Florida State, Georgia Tech and Maryland looks like solid bets if they stay on their current paths. North Carolina, Wake Forest, and Duke can play themselves in, especially with the ACC Tournament coming up.

Bob Green
04-22-2014, 08:32 PM
Final: Duke 2, UNCG 0

Olympic Fan
04-25-2014, 11:03 PM
Duke gets its series with Wake Forest off to a good start, beating the Deacs 5-2 in Game 1 Friday night.

That's 13-9 in the ACC. Wake falls to 12-10.

Two more games in Winston this weekend ...

Reilly
04-26-2014, 07:09 AM
Do folks like that the baseball team went away from the fancy (Old English?) "D"? I had found the non-uniformity of the baseball uniforms as compared to the rest of the Duke athletic uniforms jarring, so was happy to see the Detroit Tigerish "D" scrapped.

jimsumner
04-26-2014, 07:13 PM
Duke edged Wake 6-5 on Saturday, as the Deacs left runners on the corners.

Bob Green
04-26-2014, 07:14 PM
Duke takes game two 6-5. After jumping out to a 6-0 lead, we had to hang on when Wake scored four runs in the bottom of the 8th inning. The third game of the series is tomorrow afternoon at 1300 EDT.

msdukie
04-26-2014, 08:05 PM
Do folks like that the baseball team went away from the fancy (Old English?) "D"? I had found the non-uniformity of the baseball uniforms as compared to the rest of the Duke athletic uniforms jarring, so was happy to see the Detroit Tigerish "D" scrapped.

The Old English "D" was replaced in the early/mid 2000s with the Gothic D. The uniforms were changed to the current Iron Duke "D" when Nike "rebranded" the athletic department in August 2011. You may recall that until October 2011 the Gothic "D" was still on the Cameron end zones...now there are just lights shining on... nothing. There was also a Gothic "D" at center court on press row until 1998, now it is in the Vic Bubas Concourse in a display case.

Also, the Gothic "D" is on my class ring from 1997.

In 2011, all of the letter and number fonts were revised for uniformity. Of course, since football hasn't gotten a jersey update since 2008, it still uses an inconsistent number font.

Olympic Fan
04-27-2014, 01:04 PM
It's time to get excited about Duke baseball. After years of mediocrity, they are so close to turning the corner ... it's the baseball equivalence of the 2012 football season.

Going into today's game at Wake, Duke currently has the fourth best ACC record. The top of the standings:

1. Miami 18-5
2. (tie) FSU 17-6
Virginia 17-6
4. Duke 14-9
5. Clemson 12-10
6. (tie) Wake 12-11
UNC 12-11
Georgia Tech 12-11

Duke has 11 games left -- one with Wake today, three with Miami in the DBAP, three with FSU in Tallahassee -- all in conference -- plus three with Longwood and one with Richmond all at Combs Field. The Devils are surging -- they've now won eight straight to go from 19-17 overall to 27-17. (and from 8-9 in the ACC to 14-9).

Obviously, the seven ACC games are most important -- Duke still needs a strong finish to clinch a top six spot and a bye into the ACC Tournament. But I'm thinking those other four could be important too. I'm not a baseball bracketologist by any means, but I've got to think Duke is at least playing itself onto the NCAA bubble. What little NCAA projections I've read suggested that Duke was not a strong candidate for the tournament -- the non-conference schedule was weak and the results spotty. But I have to think a strong finish would help.

I know that Duke finished with a great conference record a few years back (when Ryan Jackson was on the team) -- maybe third? -- and still didn't make the NCAA field due to a poor non-conference record.

Maybe somebody who knows more about the NCAA baseball world than me could give us some idea of Duke's NCAA prospects?

dpslaw
04-27-2014, 01:39 PM
Duke has surged past Wake Forest in RPI, moving from the mid to low 90's to 69th. Richmond is at 199 and Longwood is below that. In order to have any shot at an NCAA bid, I would think that Duke would have to win at Wake today, sweep Longwood and Richmond, and avoid a sweep against FSU or Miami. Even then it would be a long shot. A series win against either FSU or Miami and a decent performance in the ACC tournament would help a lot, I would think.

Bob Green
04-27-2014, 02:09 PM
It's time to get excited about Duke baseball.

Agreed! I'm listening to the game on the radio right now and I'm not sure I've done that before.

CameronBornAndBred
04-27-2014, 02:12 PM
I don't follow baseball closely other than paying attention to box scores, but I would think if we finish strong then Coach Pollard has to be in the COY discussions. How sweet would it be to have two COY awards in sports that we are famous for being bad at? (Or perhaps better said, were famous for...)

chrishoke
04-27-2014, 02:15 PM
Agreed! I'm listening to the game on the radio right now and I'm not sure I've done that before.

Me too Bob. Duke leads 2-1 in the bottom of the fourth.

chrishoke
04-27-2014, 03:53 PM
Tied at 6 after seven. Come on Devils.

chrishoke
04-27-2014, 04:05 PM
Duke takes a 7-6 lead into the ninth.

Bob Green
04-27-2014, 04:10 PM
Headed to the bottom of the 9th inning with Duke up 8-6. Let's close this out and sweep the Deacs!

Bob Green
04-27-2014, 04:16 PM
And it is a final. Duke sweeps Wake Forest.

chrishoke
04-27-2014, 04:17 PM
Duke sweeps, 8-6. 15-9 in the ACC. Awesome. We own the big 4.

devildeac
04-27-2014, 05:00 PM
Duke sweeps, 8-6. 15-9 in the ACC. Awesome. We own the big 4.

Our State.

CameronBornAndBred
04-27-2014, 05:16 PM
Our State.
Baseball school.

roywhite
04-27-2014, 05:47 PM
Five Home Runs Power Duke Past Wake Forest (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209482629&DB_OEM_ID=4200)

“We just kept playing,” Pollard said. “We didn’t back down from the moment. We didn’t panic. We didn’t press. The park’s been playing small all weekend. Marconcini was due for an at bat like that. I’m proud of him. He had good at bats yesterday and came up with the really big one today. Deitrich’s seeing the ball well. I told our guys we would probably hit a lot of home runs if we played here on a regular basis. The guys are very comfortable. They see the ball well and really drove the baseball.”

Duke returns to action next Sunday, May 4, hosting Longwood in a non-conference series. The Blue Devils and Lancers are set for a Sunday doubleheader before meeting a third time Monday.

burnspbesq
04-27-2014, 11:05 PM
Duke is up to fourth overall in the ACC.

Olympic Fan
04-28-2014, 02:30 PM
Our State.

well, in this school year in the three major sports:

-- Duke is 3-0 against UNC, NC State and Wake in football. Duke finished as the Big Four's top team in the ACC standings and was the state's only ranked team.

-- Duke is 3-2 against UNC (1-1), Wake Forest (1-1) and NC State (1-0) in basketball. Duke and UNC are tied for third in the ACC, ahead of State and Wake. Duke finishes as the state's top-ranked team in the final AP poll.

-- Duke is 8-1 against UNC (3-0), Wake (3-0) and NC State (2-1) in baseball. Duke currently has the best record of the four in the ACC -- although no Big Four teams are currently ranked.

Our state, indeed -- at least this year.

jimsumner
04-28-2014, 04:21 PM
well, in this school year in the three major sports:

-- Duke is 3-0 against UNC, NC State and Wake in football. Duke finished as the Big Four's top team in the ACC standings and was the state's only ranked team.

-- Duke is 3-2 against UNC (1-1), Wake Forest (1-1) and NC State (1-0) in basketball. Duke and UNC are tied for third in the ACC, ahead of State and Wake. Duke finishes as the state's top-ranked team in the final AP poll.

-- Duke is 8-1 against UNC (3-0), Wake (3-0) and NC State (2-1) in baseball. Duke currently has the best record of the four in the ACC -- although no Big Four teams are currently ranked.

Our state, indeed -- at least this year.

Wouldn't Duke have been 2-0 against NC State? Or are you not counting the ACC Tournament?

Olympic Fan
04-28-2014, 05:17 PM
Wouldn't Duke have been 2-0 against NC State? Or are you not counting the ACC Tournament?

I did overlook that game in the tournament ... but it only reinforces the point that Duke has dominated the Big Four in the three major sports this season.

As for baseball, I was looking at the standings:

1. Miami 19-6
2. Virginia 18-6
3. FSU 17-7
4. Duke 15-9
5. UNC 13-11
6. Clemson 12-11
7. (tie) Georgia Tech 12-12
Wake Forest 12-12
9. Pitt 9-12
10. Maryland 9-14
11. NC State 9-15

While Duke -- with six more tough games remaining (three vs. Miami at the DBAP; three at FSU) -- still has work to do to lock up a spot in the top six (and a bye into the round-robin part of the tournament), I think it's a virtual lock that Duke will finish in the top 10 and thus make the tournament field (7-10 have to play in two one-game sudden death play-in games).

Duvall
04-28-2014, 05:21 PM
I did overlook that game in the tournament ... but it only reinforces the point that Duke has dominated the Big Four in the three major sports this season.

As for baseball, I was looking at the standings:

1. Miami 19-6
2. Virginia 18-6
3. FSU 17-7
4. Duke 15-9
5. UNC 13-11
6. Clemson 12-11
7. (tie) Georgia Tech 12-12
Wake Forest 12-12
9. Pitt 9-12
10. Maryland 9-14
11. NC State 9-15

While Duke -- with six more tough games remaining (three vs. Miami at the DBAP; three at FSU) -- still has work to do to lock up a spot in the top six (and a bye into the round-robin part of the tournament), I think it's a virtual lock that Duke will finish in the top 10 and thus make the tournament field (7-10 have to play in two one-game sudden death play-in games).

Isn't it an actual lock that Duke will finish in the top 10 at this point? I don't know what the tiebreaker is with NC State, but I can't imagine that a sweep in the season series doesn't give it to Duke.

CameronBornAndBred
04-28-2014, 05:31 PM
Isn't it an actual lock that Duke will finish in the top 10 at this point? I don't know what the tiebreaker is with NC State, but I can't imagine that a sweep in the season series doesn't give it to Duke.
I thought so too. I can't find it, but I swear I saw an article today that said Duke clinched its first tourney birth since 2009.

burnspbesq
04-28-2014, 07:56 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/cws/polls/smg-usat/2014/10/

pfrduke
04-28-2014, 08:16 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/cws/polls/smg-usat/2014/10/

And, perhaps to put a finer point on it, others receiving more votes than the Tar Heels.

roywhite
04-28-2014, 10:02 PM
And, perhaps to put a finer point on it, others receiving more votes than the Tar Heels.

And more votes than our old friend, the Mercer Bears.

Olympic Fan
04-29-2014, 01:10 PM
I'm still scrambling to find out if Duke has a chance to climb into contention for an at large NCAA bid and from what little I can find, it doesn't look good. I've seen a couple of mock fields and none of them include Duke.

The RPI is even more disappointing. I found the official NCAA site, but it hasn't been updated yet this week. But the April 22 listing had Duke at No. 90.

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/baseball/d1/rpi

I did find this RPI site that has been updated through today:

http://www.boydsworld.com/baseball/rpi/currentrpi.html

It claims to almost exactly match the official RPI. But while it does track within a point for every other ACC school, last week (when Duke was officially No. 90) they had Duke at No. 67.

This week, they have Duke at No. 61, which is an improvement -- at least until you look and see that is still behind No. 1 Virginia, No. 5 FSU, No. 18. Miami, No. 33 Georgia Tech, No. 37 Maryland, No. 43 UNC, No. 47 Clemson and just ahead of No. 65 NC State.

Obviously Duke has a chance to improve with three games coming up with No. 5 FSU and three with No. 18 Miami, plus whatever they get in the ACC Tournament ... still if RPI means as much to the NCAA Baseball Selection Committee as it does to the Basketball Selection Committee, it doesn't look good.

DU82
04-29-2014, 10:27 PM
I'm still scrambling to find out if Duke has a chance to climb into contention for an at large NCAA bid and from what little I can find, it doesn't look good. I've seen a couple of mock fields and none of them include Duke.

The RPI is even more disappointing. I found the official NCAA site, but it hasn't been updated yet this week. But the April 22 listing had Duke at No. 90.

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/baseball/d1/rpi

I did find this RPI site that has been updated through today:

http://www.boydsworld.com/baseball/rpi/currentrpi.html

The official NCAA site was updated, presumably this afternoon after you posted. It has Duke at 61.

I don't quite understand Boyd's system, especially distances between schools. I checked for a couple of schools of interest to me, and found that NCSU is about 250 miles away, and UNCheat 154 miles from Duke. Wagner, in Staten Island, is 269 miles from Manhattan and 197 from Columbia.

I like that the site lists potential opponents within driving distance, since that's what usually happens for mid-week games. But not sure what his system means.

Reilly
04-29-2014, 10:35 PM
Why is college baseball not followed to a larger degree?

What's more popular: MLB or the NBA?

Isn't it nuts that Selection Sunday - March Madness - the Bubble - RPI - yada yada dominate our thoughts every late winter, yet OlyFan has to go searching for similar type stats with respect to baseball?

I mean, on any given night, MLB teams will draw 25-30K, more than what an NBA team will draw on any given night. I don't know their respective TV ratings/popularity.

It seems college baseball has really become a lot more popular and televised in the last 10 years .... but why does it still lag so far behind hoops?

Is it partly b/c the colleges were not the primary feeders to the majors for many years?

wilson
04-30-2014, 09:09 AM
FWIW, "College Sports Madness" (I make no claims as to the general trustworthiness or relevancy of their work) has Duke in their latest projected NCAA baseball tournament field, in the Louisville regional alongside future conference mates Louisville, recent SEC power Vanderbilt, and Evansville, of used-to-wear-weird-purple-tshirts-as-basketball-uniforms fame. If I'm not mistaken, an NCAA tourney bid would be the first in our baseball program's history.
http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/baseball/bracketology

CameronBornAndBred
04-30-2014, 09:28 AM
FWIW, "College Sports Madness" (I make no claims as to the general trustworthiness or relevancy of their work) has Duke in their latest projected NCAA baseball tournament field, in the Louisville regional alongside future conference mates Louisville, recent SEC power Vanderbilt, and Evansville, of used-to-wear-weird-purple-tshirts-as-basketball-uniforms fame. If I'm not mistaken, an NCAA tourney bid would be the first in our baseball program's history.
http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/baseball/bracketology
As with football, we held our own back in the 50's and early 60's. Each of the three times Duke went to the college world series, they took 5th place. (Last time was in '61)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_Blue_Devils_baseball

CameronBornAndBred
04-30-2014, 10:30 AM
There is an article on WRAL about the team. The recent success comes down to a change of culture, which of course worked really well for the football team, too. (And according to the article, the Blue Devils have indeed clinched a spot in the ACC tourney.)

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke-baseball-finding-success-with-culture-change/13605686/

wilson
04-30-2014, 11:24 AM
As with football, we held our own back in the 50's and early 60's. Each of the three times Duke went to the college world series, they took 5th place. (Last time was in '61)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_Blue_Devils_baseballSome really interesting material in there. I had forgotten that Duke did once play in the NCAA tournament (although the spirit of my above post remains; it's been 53 years). I also had no idea that Hall of Famer Enos Slaughter was Duke's head baseball coach for about a decade.

sagegrouse
04-30-2014, 11:48 AM
Some really interesting material in there. I had forgotten that Duke did once play in the NCAA tournament (although the spirit of my above post remains; it's been 53 years). I also had no idea that Hall of Famer Enos Slaughter was Duke's head baseball coach for about a decade.

Ace Parker was the baseball coach the last year Duke went to the College World Series. Ace, as in college and pro football Hall of Fame, as in ML baseball player, as in home run in his first ML at-bat.

BlueDevil14
04-30-2014, 06:59 PM
Latest Baseball America projections have us making the NCAA regional: http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/stock-report-week-11-4/

"The Blue Devils, meanwhile, are surging, with nine straight victories, including back-to-back road series sweeps at Virginia Tech and Wake Forest. Duke also owns a home sweep of fellow bubble dweller North Carolina, which is a big feather in its cap, and a 15-9 ACC record. Teams that finish with winning records in the ACC usually make regionals, but the Blue Devils are still battling RPI troubles, though they vaulted from No. 90 to No. 61 in the last week.

The RPI Needs Report says they need to win seven or eight of their final 10 games to finish inside the top 45, and that won’t be easy with series remaining against Miami and at Florida State. They could get into a regional with an RPI in the 46-55 range if they can get to 17 or 18 ACC wins. If they can win one of those last two series, we like their chances to end a 53-year NCAA tournament drought; just avoiding getting swept in both series could be sufficient. And they just might be good enough to pull it off. They remain behind Clemson (No. 45), UNC (No. 42) and Georgia Tech (No. 33) in the pecking order primarily because of RPI, but they sneak into our field as the final team."

I hope we can finish with a winning ACC record, but it will be tough with Miami and Florida State remaining. The Miami series is at home - we need to figure out how to get fans in the stands. All 3 games at are the DBAP, so it could be a spectacular atmosphere, but our home series attendance has been pretty sad. We probably had 1/5 of the fans that NC State and Carolina had, and those were home series for us!

roywhite
04-30-2014, 08:12 PM
FWIW, it would be a loss to FSU baseball if Jameis Winston remains suspended.

He has appeared in 16 games in relief, with a 1.50 ERA, 5 saves, and 25 strike outs vs 4 walks given up.

CameronBornAndBred
04-30-2014, 08:34 PM
FWIW, it would be a loss to FSU baseball if Jameis Winston remains suspended.

He has appeared in 16 games in relief, with a 1.50 ERA, 5 saves, and 25 strike outs vs 4 walks given up.
He has already beaten Duke enough this year, I will enjoy not seeing him do it again. (Although it would be fun to watch us beat him.)

Olympic Fan
05-04-2014, 01:27 PM
Duke steps out of conference with a doubleheader today against Longwood at Jack Combs Field.

Obviously, no impact on the ACC race, but if Duke does have any hopes to earning an NCAA at large bid, winning these two games -- and a third against Longwood tomorrow at the DBAP -- are vital.

The Devils go into the first game today with a nine-game winning streak on the line.

Papa John
05-04-2014, 04:42 PM
Duke steps out of conference with a doubleheader today against Longwood at Jack Combs Field.

Obviously, no impact on the ACC race, but if Duke does have any hopes to earning an NCAA at large bid, winning these two games -- and a third against Longwood tomorrow at the DBAP -- are vital.

The Devils go into the first game today with a nine-game winning streak on the line.

Won the first game, 10-4... Second should be starting shortly, if not already...

Bob Green
05-04-2014, 07:21 PM
Duke drops the second game 2-1. Longwood scored two runs in the top of the 6th to take the lead. Duke had the tying run on 3rd base in the 9th but couldn't get him home. The tying run was on 2nd base in the 8th. A tough loss for our NCAA Tournament chances.

roywhite
05-04-2014, 07:22 PM
Won the first game, 10-4... Second should be starting shortly, if not already...

The Devils lost the nightcap 2-1 to end the winning streak at 10.

Got 2 runners on in the 9th, but couldn't push a run across. Play Longwood (located in Farmville, VA by the way -- straight up Rt. 15) again tomorrow.

**see Bob Green beat me to it; hard to beat those Navy guys :p
While not good to lose as we try to get a NCAA bid, the series with Miami and FSU and then the ACC Tournament still provide an opportunity for a bid.

chrishoke
05-04-2014, 08:21 PM
That loss was a killer to our very, very slim chances of making the NCAAs. This team just has way too many bad losses.

CameronBornAndBred
05-04-2014, 08:27 PM
That loss was a killer to our very, very slim chances of making the NCAAs. This team just has way too many bad losses.
Dang...so much for optimism. I'm enjoying the amazingly fun wins (like over the Heels) too much to count all the "pathetically bad losses".
No program was resurrected in a single season.

burnspbesq
05-05-2014, 10:41 AM

Well, then, we'll just have to win the ACC Tournament.:cool:

Bob Green
05-05-2014, 06:22 PM
Final: Duke 6, Longwood 1. I didn't have the opportunity to listen to the game this afternoon, but checked in on Live Stats at GoDuke in time to catch the Top of the 9th.

CameronBornAndBred
05-05-2014, 09:19 PM
Start of a new streak. ;)

Olympic Fan
05-06-2014, 03:17 PM
Just announced today -- Duke shows up at No. 30 in the Collegiate Baseball Newspaper poll:

http://baseballnews.com/polls/ncaa-division-i/2014-collegiate-baseball-polls/collegiate-baseball-div-i-poll-5-5-14/

Duke's chances of winning an at large NCAA bid have to be very real. With three games coming up against No. 5 Miami and three more against No. 6 FSU -- plus the ACC Tournament -- it's still up in the air. But this is good news.

Next game -- Friday vs. Miami at the DBAP

devilish
05-06-2014, 03:36 PM
Next game -- Friday vs. Miami at the DBAP

Does the DBAP serve beer for collegiate games?

devildeac
05-06-2014, 05:46 PM

I don't know but Mellow Mushroom and Tyler's Taproom do and they are about 1-2 blocks away;).

BlueDevil14
05-07-2014, 07:24 AM

YES!!

chrishoke
05-10-2014, 05:40 PM
Duke loses the first two to Maimi -unfortunately, they kicked our butt both games.

Papa John
05-10-2014, 09:21 PM
Duke loses the first two to Maimi -unfortunately, they kicked our butt both games.

Score was tied 1-1 through 6 today... We got shellacked in the 7th and 8th...

chrishoke
05-10-2014, 09:27 PM
Score was tied 1-1 through 6 today... We got shellacked in the 7th and 8th...

9-1 final. First game was 6-1.

Papa John
05-11-2014, 11:04 AM
9-1 final. First game was 6-1.

Exactly... As I said, we got shellacked in the bottom half of the 7th and 8th. More precisely, Miami got 2 in the 7th, to make it 3-1... The true shellacking took place in the 8th, when they tacked on 6 more...

Bob Green
05-11-2014, 12:33 PM
No score with Duke coming to bat in the bottom half of the 2nd. Duke's pitcher is looking good so far. DBAP is empty! The game is being televised by ESPN3 for anyone interested.

Bob Green
05-11-2014, 01:30 PM
The game is headed to the bottom half of the 5th with Duke up 3-1.

arnie
05-11-2014, 02:24 PM
No score with Duke coming to bat in the bottom half of the 2nd. Duke's pitcher is looking good so far. DBAP is empty! The game is being televised by ESPN3 for anyone interested.

Also on FSS in triangle on direct tv. 3-3 now in the 8th and yes I count 47 people on the stands, many wearing orange.

Bob Green
05-11-2014, 03:07 PM
Headed to the bottom half of the 9th with Miami up 4-3. Duke needs a run (two would be better) to avoid the sweep.

Bob Green
05-11-2014, 03:36 PM
Miami wins 4-3 to finish the series sweep. Duke had the tying run on 2nd base but stranded him there. Having watched the whole game I say we needed to have a bigger 3rd inning when bases were loaded with no outs. Two runs scored to put Duke up 3-1 but those were the last to cross the plate for the Blue Devils. Hopefully we see better results at Florida State Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

Here is a Turtle
05-13-2014, 05:42 PM
Here is the table for the ACC Standings right now.

Rank Team Record win pct
1 Miami 22 - 5 .815
2 Virginia 21 - 6 .778
3 Florida State 19 - 8 .704
4 Duke 15 - 12 .556
5 North Carolina 14 - 13 .519
6 Maryland 15 - 14 .517
7 Clemson 13 - 13 .500
8 Wake Forest 13 - 14 .482
9 Georgia Tech 14 - 16 .467
10 NC State 11 - 16 .407
11 Pitt 11 - 16 .407
12 Boston College 9 - 18 .333
13 Virginia Tech 8 - 19 .296
14 Notre Dame 6 - 21 .222

Georgia Tech and Maryland are done for the year with everyone else finishing up this weekend. Looking at all the latest bracketology I could find, it looks like Miami, Virginia, Florida State are locks. Maryland, Clemson, North Carolina are in pretty good or near lock shape. NC State and Duke (and Georgia Tech too depending on the bracket) are on the wrong side of the bubble.

Duke having an RPI of 84 (9th in the conference) hurts a lot. Probably will have to take the series against Florida State and make a deep run in the ACC Tournament for an at large bid.

Olympic Fan
05-14-2014, 10:22 AM
Duke did beat Richmond 10-2 Tuesday to win its 31st game.

Last week's 0-3 performance against Miami had to hurt our NCAA chances badly. I'm not knowledgable enough to guess whether we can do anything about that with our final three games in Tallahassee or in the ACC Tournament.

But I can read the standings and although Duke remains in fourth place -- and more importantly in the ACC's top six -- that rank is precarious. I know Duke has clinched a spot in the tournament, but winning a bye is much more important than in the ACC Basketball Tournament. Finish 7-through-10 and you have to win a play-in game (and probably use up your best pitcher) just to get into the round-robin. Finish in the top six and you are guaranteed three tournament games -- go 3-0 and maybe 2-1 and you are in the title game.

Worst case for Duke is an 0-3 weekend at FSU. That would leave the Devils at 15-15 in the ACC.

That might not be good enough.

Maryland, which is finished in-conference at 15-14, would jump us. UNC (14-13), Clemson (13-13) and even Wake Forest (13-14) could jump us.

One win in Tallahassee would almost certainly put Duke in the top six. For one thing, it locks up a spot ahead of Maryland. And if it becomes necessary, we own tiebreakers with UNC and Wake Forest.

We really need that win to finish in the ACC top six ... and we need two or three wins this weekend to bolster our NCAA chances.

Bob Green
05-15-2014, 05:05 AM
This weekend's series is a Thursday, Friday, Saturday series so the first game at Florida State is today at 6 pm with coverage being provided by ESPN3. Here is the GoDuke article:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209495828&DB_OEM_ID=4200

CameronBornAndBred
05-15-2014, 11:40 AM
Hopefully Duke will make it a habit to play in the ACC tourney. The DBAP will be hosting it through 2018, so it would be nice to play at "home".

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/dbap-to-host-acc-baseball-championship-through-2018/13647387/

This year it is being played in Greensboro.

dpslaw
05-15-2014, 01:39 PM
A win against FSU guarantees a top six seed in (and bye into the round robin of) the ACC tourney. But according to Steve Wiseman, Duke could still back into the top six if UNC is swept by Miami and Wake does not sweep UVa.

CameronBornAndBred
05-15-2014, 03:25 PM
Will Winston be pitching any of the games?

devildeac
05-15-2014, 05:03 PM
Will Winston be pitching any of the games?

He's a relief pitcher/closer, IIRC, so not sure whether he'll pitch or not. Just trying to provide info here and not being crabby:o:rolleyes:.

Tripping William
05-15-2014, 05:44 PM
. . . [certain outcomes assuming] Wake does not sweep UVa.

Game One of Hoos@Deacs is postponed. Double-header tomorrow beginning at 2:00 p.m.

CameronBornAndBred
05-15-2014, 06:49 PM
He's a relief pitcher/closer, IIRC, so not sure whether he'll pitch or not. Just trying to provide info here and not being crabby:o:rolleyes:.
Does he pinch hit? :rolleyes:

devildeac
05-15-2014, 08:28 PM

I don't know what the shell you are talking about;).

DukieInKansas
05-16-2014, 09:59 AM

I don't know what the shell you are talking about;).

You two have a leg up on all the puns.

Good luck to the baseball team!

Reilly
05-16-2014, 10:03 AM

Well if does, and gets on base, I'm sure he's a threat to steal.

Olympic Fan
05-16-2014, 04:49 PM
A win against FSU guarantees a top six seed in (and bye into the round robin of) the ACC tourney. But according to Steve Wiseman, Duke could still back into the top six if UNC is swept by Miami and Wake does not sweep UVa.

Actually, UNC has to win 2 of 3 vs. Miami to pass Duke (if Duke goes 0-3 at Miami. The worst-case for Duke is 15-15 ... UNC went into Friday's doubleheader (plus one game Saturday) at 14-13 -- if UNC goes 1-2, they finish 15-15 and Duke has the tiebreaker.

As of 4:30 p.m., Virginia is about to beat Wake (5-3 Virginia in the bottom of the ninth) -- that would eliminate Wake from sixth place contention.

The dangerous teams are Maryland and Clemson. For Maryland, it's simple ... they're finished at 15-14. If Duke wins one of its last two, the Devils finish ahead of the Terps. If Duke is swept, Maryland finishes ahead of Duke.

Clemson beat Boston College Thursday to go to 14-13 in the ACC. They gets the Eagles tonight and Saturday -- one win and they tie Maryland at 15-14 ... and would pass 15-15 Duke. Two wins (which is a good chance) and they finish 16-13 and ahead of Duke even if Dukie splits and finishes 16-14.

You can play with the numbers, but it's looking more and more like Duke needs to win one of the last two to finish ahead of Maryland and/or Clemson ... I don't think UNC and/or Wake are a problem.

Reilly
05-16-2014, 04:55 PM
Actually, UNC has to win 2 of 3 vs. Miami to pass Duke (if Duke goes 0-3 at Miami. The worst-case for Duke is 15-15 ... UNC went into Friday's doubleheader (plus one game Saturday) at 14-13 -- if UNC goes 1-2, they finish 15-15 and Duke has the tiebreaker.

As of 4:30 p.m., Virginia is about to beat Wake (5-3 Virginia in the bottom of the ninth) -- that would eliminate Wake from sixth place contention.

The dangerous teams are Maryland and Clemson. For Maryland, it's simple ... they're finished at 15-14. If Duke wins one of its last two, the Devils finish ahead of the Terps. If Duke is swept, Maryland finishes ahead of Duke.

Clemson beat Boston College Thursday to go to 14-13 in the ACC. They gets the Eagles tonight and Saturday -- one win and they tie Maryland at 15-14 ... and would pass 15-15 Duke. Two wins (which is a good chance) and they finish 16-13 and ahead of Duke even if Dukie splits and finishes 16-14.

You can play with the numbers, but it's looking more and more like Duke needs to win one of the last two to finish ahead of Maryland and/or Clemson ... I don't think UNC and/or Wake are a problem.

Miami, UVA and FSU are top 3.

So the next three come from Duke, UNC, MD, Clemson, WFU.

WFU is done; don't you think UNC is effectively done since they play Miami?

So that leaves Duke, MD, Clemson as the next three to round out the top 6. Just root for UNC to lose twice to very good Miami.

Duvall
05-16-2014, 04:58 PM

Wake scored three runs in the 9th (2-run 2-out HR) to take the game to extra innings.

Duvall
05-16-2014, 05:16 PM
Wake scored three runs in the 9th (2-run 2-out HR) to take the game to extra innings.

Wake wins 6-5 in the 10th. Deacs are now 1 game back of Duke with 2 games to play for both.

CameronBornAndBred
05-16-2014, 05:24 PM
Wake wins 6-5 in the 10th. Deacs are now 1 game back of Duke with 2 games to play for both.
Go Duke! Go Hoos! Go to Hell Carolina!

Olympic Fan
05-16-2014, 05:24 PM

Great comeback by the Deacs against a team that spent most of the season at No. 1 ... but they still have to sweep to move past Duke.

UNC leads Miami 4-3 in the 8th ... they need just 2 of 3 to pass the Devils (if Duke loses its last two).

burnspbesq
05-16-2014, 05:36 PM
State has also won today. This is getting too hairy for comfort.

Second game between Wake and State starts at the same time as the Duke game.

Duvall
05-16-2014, 05:52 PM
State has also won today. This is getting too hairy for comfort.

Second game between Wake and State starts at the same time as the Duke game.

State is irrelevant. Well, except for the possibility of facing Carlos Rodon in a play-in game. They can't catch Duke in the standings.

Duvall
05-16-2014, 07:55 PM
don't you think UNC is effectively done since they play Miami?

UNC is about to beat Miami to draw even with Duke in the standings, so...no?

OR NOT! Walk-off win for Miami, 6-5. Miami scores two in the bottom of the 16th inning, after UNC broke through with one run in the top of the inning.

Duvall
05-16-2014, 09:07 PM
BC beats Clemson 3-1. Another Tiger loss tomorrow would cement their place in the standings behind Duke.

Duvall
05-16-2014, 09:26 PM
Virginia disposes of Wake Forest 7-2. Duke clinches at least the #7 seed in the ACC Tournament.

Duvall
05-16-2014, 10:08 PM
Duke loses 9-8 despite a bizarre top of the 9th. UNC is crushing Miami in the second half of their doubleheader, so it looks like it will come down to three games tomorrow - Duke-FSU, UNC-Miami and BC-Clemson - to see who gets the bye into the real ACC Tournament.

CameronBornAndBred
05-16-2014, 10:11 PM
Duke loses 9-8 despite a bizarre top of the 9th. UNC is crushing Miami in the second half of their doubleheader, so it looks like it will come down to three games tomorrow - Duke-FSU, UNC-Miami and BC-Clemson - to see who gets the bye into the real ACC Tournament.
It's nice knowing Duke controls their own destiny. Win and in.

Reilly
05-17-2014, 06:55 AM
Stephen Wiseman ‏@stevewisemanNC 8h
Simple stuff now for Duke baseball regarding ACC Tourney. Earns No. 4 seed with win over FSU on Sat. Will be 6 w/loss and UNC loss to Miami

Olympic Fan
05-17-2014, 12:39 PM
Stephen Wiseman ‏@stevewisemanNC 8h
Simple stuff now for Duke baseball regarding ACC Tourney. Earns No. 4 seed with win over FSU on Sat. Will be 6 w/loss and UNC loss to Miami

I hate to rip on Steve, but for the second day in a row, he's got it wrong. Duvall had it right yesterday. Win and we are in as the No. 4 seed ... that part's right. But if we lose, we also need BC to win at Clemson. Here's the relevant part of the standings going into today's games:

4. (tie) Duke 15-14
Maryland 15-14
UNC 15-14
7. Clemson 14-14

Should Duke lose, we immediately drop behind Maryland into fifth. If UNC wins, we drop to sixth (if they lose, we remain tied with them, but win the tiebreaker). But if Clemson also wins, they finish 15-14 and drop us to seventh.

We need EITHER: A Duke win at FSU ... or Miami to beat UNC ... or BC to beat Clemson. Any one of those three puts Duke is in the top six and into the round robin. If all three games go against us, then we are the No. 7 seed and have to play a sudden death play in game Tuesday -- and (props to Duvall again) probably against N.C. State and the likely No. 1 pick in the college baseball draft next month -- lefty Carlos Rodon.

Good early news -- UNC trails Miami 1-0 after one ... and BC scored 3 in the top of the first against Clemson.

budwom
05-17-2014, 12:53 PM
Just being this close to UNC and Clemmons at this point is very gratifying. Amazing progress the last few years.

Does anyone have a handle on our current recruiting? I know it's tricky for private schools (though obviously not insurmountable)
given the paucity of full rides allowed by the NCAA. Versatile players are at a premium, especially guys who can both pitch and
play another position.

Olympic Fan
05-17-2014, 01:33 PM
BC up 4-1 in the fourth ... Miami up 2-0 in the third.

We could be locked into the top six before the first pitch tonight.

Does anybody know if there's any advantage to finishing fourth (which Duke could do with a win tonight) as opposed to fifth or sixth (which will happen with a loss tonight)? I know the big drop after six ... but does being seeded fourth help in the round robin? I would guess that 1-4-5-(winner of the eight-nine game) are in one round robin with 2-3-6-(winner of the 7-10 game) in the other.

If that's the case, much better to be in the 4 spot -- since there are three great teams in the ACC this year and I'd rather be in the round robin with one of them (whether it's Virginia, Miami or FSU) than with two of them.

Olympic Fan
05-17-2014, 01:57 PM
Wow, I thought the Duke start was later ... but Duke is up 2-0 in the second inning.

Miami up 2-0 on UNC in the sixth

BC up 5-1 now on Clemson in the seventh

Bob Green
05-17-2014, 02:05 PM
Ryan Deitrich hits a 2 run homer to put Duke up 5-1.

Henderson
05-17-2014, 02:07 PM
Just being this close to UNC and Clemmons at this point is very gratifying. Amazing progress the last few years.

Does anyone have a handle on our current recruiting? I know it's tricky for private schools (though obviously not insurmountable)
given the paucity of full rides allowed by the NCAA. Versatile players are at a premium, especially guys who can both pitch and
play another position.

Premium would be a guy who could both pitch and bring his friends free crab legs and crawfish.

Duvall
05-17-2014, 02:12 PM
Second Tar Heel TOOTBLAN (Thrown Out On The Basepaths Like A Nincompoop) this afternoon. Miami still up 2-0 going to the bottom of the 2nd.

Duvall
05-17-2014, 02:52 PM
Miami still up 2-0 going to the bottom of the 2nd.

Er, I meant the 7th. Now Miami looks to close out the Heels in the 9th.

Olympic Fan
05-17-2014, 02:54 PM
Ueah, Miami 2-0 in the ninth ... and BC up 9-3 in the seventh.

Of course, neither of those matter if Duke holds on ... now 6-1 in the fifth

Duvall
05-17-2014, 02:57 PM
Miami wins! Duke clinches at least the sixth seed, and a bye to pool play.

Duke continues to tack on runs against FSU, now up 7-1 in the 6th.

Here is a Turtle
05-17-2014, 02:59 PM
Duke up on FSU 7-1 in the sixth. Baring a collapse, they have the 4 seed.
BC is handing it to Clemson 9-4 in the bottom of the 7th.
Miami finishes off UNC 2-0. This should lock Maryland in a top 6 seed. Not sure who has the tiebreaker between Clemson and UNC if they both lose and put themselves at 15-15.

chrishoke
05-17-2014, 03:24 PM
Duke gives up a 2 run jack - 7-3 going to the 8th.

chrishoke
05-17-2014, 03:38 PM
Three more outs to go.

chrishoke
05-17-2014, 03:56 PM
Ball game, 7-5!

Duvall
05-17-2014, 03:56 PM
Duke wins! 7-5 over Florida State.

Duvall
05-17-2014, 03:58 PM
Clemson scored *five runs* in the ninth to send their game to extra innings. A Clemson win would send UNC to the play-in game, so it's time to switch sides...

Olympic Fan
05-17-2014, 04:02 PM
Duke locked into the No. 4 seed ... the win also guarantees the first winning (16-14) conference record since 1994 (I think).

Maryland gets the 5th seed ...

The sixth seed goes to Clemson with a win over BC and to UNC with a Clemson loss.

Here is a Turtle
05-17-2014, 04:03 PM
Clemson scored *five runs* in the ninth to send their game to extra innings. A Clemson win would send UNC to the play-in game, so it's time to switch sides...

There is a reason BC is not going to the ACC Tournament. Giving up 5 runs with two outs is another example. Clemson has the tiebreaker over Maryland because of head to head (2-0).

Scenarios are simpler now:

Clemson completes the comeback:
4)Duke
5)Clemson
6)Maryland
7)UNC

Clemson loses:
4)Duke
5)Maryland
6)UNC
7)Clemson

devildeac
05-17-2014, 04:22 PM
Premium would be a guy who could both pitch and bring his friends free crab legs and crawfish.

And/or could steal bases or signs from the opposing team.;)

devildeac
05-17-2014, 04:24 PM
Ball game, 7-5!

Duke wins! 7-5 over Florida State.

Baseball school;).

Here is a Turtle
05-17-2014, 04:42 PM
Baseball school;).

Little early to say that. Probably have to make a deep run in the ACC Tournament to get a Regional bid. Currently 76 in RPI even with today's win.

BlueDevil14
05-17-2014, 04:57 PM

play another position.

Kendall Rogers rates college recruiting classes. Our rankings have skyrocketed since Pollard arrived. If memory serves, our 2015 class is #16 in the country right now.
It will be hard to replace the 14 seniors, but the program will continue to head in the right direction.

Here is a Turtle
05-17-2014, 05:03 PM
Clemson wins 10-9 in 13 innings so the top 6 are set.

1)Miami
2)Florida State
3)Virginia
4)Duke
5)Clemson
6)Maryland

The play-in teams will be North Carolina, Wake Forest, NC State, and Georgia Tech. We should know the seedings for sure in a couple hours.

CameronBornAndBred
05-17-2014, 06:04 PM
Baseball school;).

Little early to say that. Probably have to make a deep run in the ACC Tournament to get a Regional bid. Currently 76 in RPI even with today's win.

Gotta start somewhere. Baseball school. :D

burnspbesq
05-17-2014, 06:48 PM
Duke is in Pool A with Miami, Clemson, and either Wake or GaTech.

Pool B has FSU, UVa, Maryland, and either Carolina or State.

ND, BC, VPI, and Pitt are done.

Olympic Fan
05-17-2014, 09:18 PM
Duke is in Pool A with Miami, Clemson, and either Wake or GaTech.

Pool B has FSU, UVa, Maryland, and either Carolina or State.

ND, BC, VPI, and Pitt are done.

Wow, Carolina and State in a play-in game?

That ought to be awesome, They played a couple of the greatest college baseball games I've ever seen last year.

State has Rodon and he's potentially the best pitcher in the ACC. But I think he worked Saturday. Would he be ready to go again Tuesday?

Reilly
05-18-2014, 07:39 AM
State, Carolina, and Duke each won 32 games ...

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/05/17/3869337/tar-heels-and-wolfpack-to-meet.html

Faison1
05-18-2014, 08:57 AM
State, Carolina, and Duke each won 32 games ...

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/05/17/3869337/tar-heels-and-wolfpack-to-meet.html

School record for ACC wins. Congrats Duke Baseball!! Major achievement.

Now, let's get some wins in the ACC Tourney!

awhom111
05-18-2014, 10:04 AM
I will of course do reminders the day before each game, but here are the times of the Duke games (EDT):
Wednesday vs Clemson, 11:00am
Thursday vs Wake Forest/Georgia Tech, 3:00pm
Saturday vs Miami, 11:00am

Details:
http://www.theacc.com/#!/news-detail/2014-ACC-Baseball-Championship-Bracket-Announced_05-18-14_cdgxnw

TV coverage for all games:
http://www.theacc.com/#!/page/2014-ACC-Baseball-Championship-RSN

Kewlswim
05-18-2014, 12:24 PM
i will of course do reminders the day before each game, but here are the times of the duke games (edt):
Wednesday vs clemson, 11:00am
thursday vs wake forest/georgia tech, 3:00pm
saturday vs miami, 11:00am

details:
http://www.theacc.com/#!/news-detail/2014-acc-baseball-championship-bracket-announced_05-18-14_cdgxnw

tv coverage for all games:
http://www.theacc.com/#!/page/2014-acc-baseball-championship-rsn

Go Duke baseball!!

Olympic Fan
05-18-2014, 01:44 PM
Kendall Rogers rates college recruiting classes. Our rankings have skyrocketed since Pollard arrived. If memory serves, our 2015 class is #16 in the country right now.
It will be hard to replace the 14 seniors, but the program will continue to head in the right direction.

I don't know a lot about baseball recruiting, but I do know this -- ranking baseball recruiting before the MLB Draft is a futile exercise.

A very large percentage of the nation's top prospects will be drafted and will start playing minor league baseball this summer. Unlike basketball (in the days high school prospects could be drafted), where pro-minded kids had to declare for the draft, there is no declaration in pro baseball. The teams draft whom the want and the kids then decided whether to sign with the pros or go to college. A few top picks do take the college route, but most of the top picks opt for pro baseball (as you would expect the percentage goes down the farther down the draft you'd go -- it exceptional when a first-round pick goes on to college).

I expect Duke to be relatively immune to this, since academics should have played a role in their choice. But remember, back in the old basketball days we did lose Shaun Livingston, so it's possible we will lose a recruit. But I expect Duke to move UP in the rankings relative to what people ahead of us lose.

BTW: The MLB Draft is June 6 this year

Only after that process can anybody rate recruiting classes with any degree of accuracy.

devildeac
05-18-2014, 06:45 PM

My comment was mostly in jest, hence the winking icon. I've made similar comments when other Duke sports have exceeded expectations/had higher winning%/advanced farther in ACCT/NCAAT than the MBB team. :)

devildeac
05-18-2014, 06:53 PM
Gotta start somewhere. Baseball school. :D

My comment was mostly in jest, hence the winking icon. I've made similar comments when other Duke sports have exceeded expectations/had higher winning%/advanced farther in ACCT/NCAAT than the MBB team. :)

OK, maybe I'll take a step or two back from my declaration.

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?33802-MLax-2014-NCAA-Tournament-thread/page3

Lacrosse school;):p.

Jbsherr DUKE!
05-18-2014, 11:09 PM
I don't follow baseball closely other than paying attention to box scores, but I would think if we finish strong then Coach Pollard has to be in the COY discussions. How sweet would it be to have two COY awards in sports that we are famous for being bad at? (Or perhaps better said, were famous for...)

I hate to copy and paste but I'm not good with all this technology on my phone but what I posted was two responses I had posted almost two years ago when DUKE named coach Pollard as head coach. I'm telling you he is invested in winning and knows how.

Coach Pollard
Originally Posted by chrishoke
Welcome Coach Pollard. Very solid hire.

I would agree. He was my college coach at Pfeiffer University ( Div II) from 2000-03. He was very successful there mixing local talent with out of state players. He caught Apps eye after several consecutive good seasons at Pfeiffer. To my understanding he had a good resume at App and should be a good fit for Duke. He played his collegiate career at Davidson College where he set several school records in pitching. I'm supper happy for coach and excited for us that he is a Blue Devil!!

Originally Posted by OldPhiKap
Excellent report! I take it you played for him? Is he bringing any of the staff that was there while you were?

I wish I could honestly answer you that. I transferred to Walsh University in Ohio my Jr. year and lost contact with a lot of the guys. I stayed in touch with some ( local guys I grow up playing with that coach brought to Pfeiffer in 2000). That group were the Sr's that won the 41 games. I always through FB or MySpace could keep up with the world of baseball at Pfeiffer. When he took the job at App I don't think he took anyone with him from his Pfeiffer staff. Its been so long I'm not certain who he might be taking to Duke. I know the man knows talent and has a knack for getting his team to believe they can win day in and day out. I've been a Bluedevil fan my whole life so just knowing he is coaching there is pretty cool. I wish him and the team the best of luck!!!

chrishoke
05-19-2014, 11:11 AM
FYI - The ACC Tournament is in Greensboro this year, not Durham Bulls Athletic Park in Durham as erroneously reported on the DBR front page article.

devildeac
05-19-2014, 11:28 AM
FYI - The ACC Tournament is in Greensboro this year, not Durham Bulls Athletic Park in Durham as erroneously reported on the DBR front page article.

Good thing, too, as the Durham Bulls are at home for a series against Louisville starting tonight:D. (I guess the ACCT could always be played at their old stadium, assuming it's still used for baseball games along with beer festivals:o.)

DU82
05-19-2014, 05:26 PM
The old DAP is the home field for NC Central.

Olympic Fan
05-20-2014, 02:52 PM
Anybody else listening top the UNC-State play-in game?

UNC leads State 4-3 in the bottom of the eighth ... but what's astonishing to me is State's continuing inability to score runs from third base with less than two outs.

I don't watch a lot of State baseball, but I saw the 16-inning game in last year's ACC Tournament. Almost every inning from the ninth on, State got runners to third with less than two outs and couldn't score. I was told that was the story during the regular season too -- when UNC has won a pair of one-run games.

Well, this is the only State-UNC game this year. They weren't scheduled in conference, so the two schools set up a non-conference meeting at the DBAP -- it was rained out. Now both teams seem to think this is a make-or-break game for their NCAA chances. The loser expects to stay home. That's why State started its ace, Carlos Rodon, on three day's rest.

I was running some errands and I turned on Tony Haynes -- UNC was up 4-3 in the fourth, but State had the bases loaded with one out -- the next two batters struck out. State loaded the bases with NO outs in the fifth and didn't score a run. I didn't hear the next two winnings, but in the top of the eighth, State has runners at second and third with no outs ... strikeout,. strikeout, intentional walk to load the bases and then a lazy fly to center to end the inning.

Nothing bothers me more as a fan than when my team fails to get a runner in from third with less than two outs. State is making a habit of it, especially against UNC.

BTW: The outcome of this game doesn't really impact Duke -- we could only face the winner in the ACC title game Sunday. The big one for us is today's second game -- Wake Forest-Georgia Tech. We play the winner of that game Thursday in the round robin.

Duvall
05-20-2014, 03:01 PM
Anybody else listening top the UNC-State play-in game?

UNC leads State 4-3 in the bottom of the eighth ... but what's astonishing to me is State's continuing inability to score runs from third base with less than two outs.

I don't watch a lot of State baseball, but I saw the 16-inning game in last year's ACC Tournament. Almost every inning from the ninth on, State got runners to third with less than two outs and couldn't score. I was told that was the story during the regular season too -- when UNC has won a pair of one-run games.

Well, this is the only State-UNC game this year. They weren't scheduled in conference, so the two schools set up a non-conference meeting at the DBAP -- it was rained out. Now both teams seem to think this is a make-or-break game for their NCAA chances. The loser expects to stay home. That's why State started its ace, Carlos Rodon, on three day's rest.

Rodon didn't start today. Well, he did, but as a DH (apparently he's one of State's top nine hitters), but he hasn't pitched.

Interesting play in the fifth - N.C. State's Trea Turner tried to steal home after a strikeout, resulting in this play at the plate. (http://media2.newsobserver.com/smedia/2014/05/20/13/24/mlPEs.AuSt.156.jpg) Guess what the call was?

Olympic Fan
05-20-2014, 03:51 PM
Rodon didn't start today. Well, he did, but as a DH (apparently he's one of State's top nine hitters), but he hasn't pitched.

Interesting play in the fifth - N.C. State's Trea Turner tried to steal home after a strikeout, resulting in this play at the plate. (http://media2.newsobserver.com/smedia/2014/05/20/13/24/mlPEs.AuSt.156.jpg) Guess what the call was?

Thanks for the correction ... I just heard parts of the game and heard his name, so I thought he was on the mound.

UNC wins 4-3 ... you are right, the Turner play at the plate was crucial. Here's a video of the play:

http://www.theacc.com/#!/video-detail/hoY215bTqKf_ddcLDqt4kQ7pm7nxBaYO

Watch the original pitch ... although it is clearly outside, the ump rings it up as strlke three -- then makes the questionable call on Turner's slide. It looks like Turner's hand gets in to me, but I could be wrong,. But I have no doubt the strike three pitch was a ball.

WakeDevil
05-20-2014, 06:07 PM
The fact that the ACC did not schedule UNC and NC State to play each other in baseball speaks volumes for the direction this conference has chosen to head.

Dr. Rosenrosen
05-20-2014, 07:56 PM
Thanks for the correction ... I just heard parts of the game and heard his name, so I thought he was on the mound.

UNC wins 4-3 ... you are right, the Turner play at the plate was crucial. Here's a video of the play:

http://www.theacc.com/#!/video-detail/hoY215bTqKf_ddcLDqt4kQ7pm7nxBaYO

Watch the original pitch ... although it is clearly outside, the ump rings it up as strlke three -- then makes the questionable call on Turner's slide. It looks like Turner's hand gets in to me, but I could be wrong,. But I have no doubt the strike three pitch was a ball.
Wow, those were both bad calls. Pitch obviously outside. And the catcher tagged the runner on the back after he slid in.

Duvall
05-20-2014, 07:59 PM
The fact that the ACC did not schedule UNC and NC State to play each other in baseball speaks volumes for the direction this conference has chosen to head.

A fair point - if UNC were in the Big Ten and NC State in the SEC, they probably would have scheduled a full series early in the year.

Papa John
05-20-2014, 09:31 PM
Wow, those were both bad calls. Pitch obviously outside. And the catcher tagged the runner on the back after he slid in.

Wow, what an absolutely awful call at the plate. The still frame you attached speaks volumes... The State player is literally laying on home plate and the ball is still in the air, yet to be caught, let alone a tag applied. That is a ridiculously putrid bit of umping... Boo! Hiss!

Mike Corey
05-21-2014, 12:20 PM
Duke up 2-1 in the top of the fifth.

killerleft
05-21-2014, 12:34 PM
Down 3-2 going to the bottom of the 5th.

Duvall
05-21-2014, 01:32 PM
Still down 3-2, headed to the 8th.

Duvall
05-21-2014, 02:21 PM
Duke falls, 5-3.

Olympic Fan
05-21-2014, 02:44 PM
Giving up two runs in the top of the ninth proved fatal.

Nice attempt at a comeback in the bottom of the ninth. Two outs and nobody on and Duke gets a run and has the tying runs on base before a game-ending fly out.

Georgia Tech up next -- tomorrow at 3 p.m.

Losing this game makes it tough to win the pool ... it's possible with a 2-1 record, but not a lot of scenarios work out in Duke's favor ... but it becomes mathematically impossible at 1-2, so the next two games are must-wins.

Olympic Fan
05-21-2014, 03:37 PM
Tiebreaker scenarios:

I know it's fanciful -- we'd be very lucky to beat Georgia Tech and Miami to get to 2-1. But if we do, here's the big issue: we need Clemson to lose twice more.

If we end up in a two-way tie with Miami (or Georgia Tech) at 2-1, we win the tiebreaker with our head-to-head win (which we don't have yet). If we end up in a tie with Clemson, we lose for the same reason.

But what if everybody beats up on Georgia Tech (possible, they are the No. 8 seed and have already used a top pitcher to win a play-in game) and we end up with a three-way tie at 2-1 -- Duke beats Miami ... Miami beats Clemson ... Clemson beats Duke?

In that case, the tiebreaker is regular season finish -- and Miami wins the tiebreaker and goes to the title game.

In the unlikely case that everybody beats up on No. 1 seed Miami and we get a Duke, Clemson, Georgia Tech tie at 2-1 (Duke beats GT ... GT beats Clemson ... Clemson beats Duke) ... then Duke wins the tiebreaker because of regular season finish.

So it's not impossible -- just very, VERY unlikely. In reality, Miami isn't likely to finish any worse than 2-1 ... that's why I say we need to get Clemson out of the 2-1 picture. The only way we can win a tiebreaker if Clemson goes 2-1 is for Miami to go 0-3. That ain't likely to happen.

I think I have it figured right. As I said before, lose one more and those is no possible way to win the round-robin -- SOMEBODY has to win at least two games.

Duvall
05-21-2014, 05:44 PM
Chaos breaking out? Georgia Tech beats Miami, 6-3.

-jk
05-21-2014, 06:04 PM
Chaos breaking out? Georgia Tech beats Miami, 6-3.

But what does it mean?!

-jk

killerleft
05-21-2014, 11:05 PM
If Duke wins two and Clemson loses two, we play for the championship. That's it. We will hold all tiebreakers, namely head-to-head battles with Miami and Georgia Tech. There is nothing more to know. Uh, right?:o

Olympic Fan
05-22-2014, 12:16 PM
If Duke wins two and Clemson loses two, we play for the championship. That's it. We will hold all tiebreakers, namely head-to-head battles with Miami and Georgia Tech. There is nothing more to know. Uh, right?:o

Close, but not right. Clemson doesn't have to lose two.

With Georgia Tech upsetting Miami Wednesday, it opens up the possibility of a 3-way tie between Duke 2-1, Clemson 2-1 and Georgia Tech 2-1 ... Duke wins the tiebreaker.

As noted earlier, that's unlikely, but with GT d. Miami, all it would take is for Clemson to beat Miami, Duke to beat Miami (which we have to do to have ANY chance), for Georgia Tech to beat Clemson.

killerleft
05-22-2014, 12:20 PM
Ah. I didn't even know 3 teams could end up 2-1.

Olympic Fan
05-22-2014, 03:24 PM
Ah. I didn't even know 3 teams could end up 2-1.

Yep, three teams can end up 2-1 with the fourth team in the bracket going 0-3.

The tournament is getting crazy. Maryland upset Virginia in today's first game (that's the other bracket, so doesn't impact us).

Duke-Georgia Tech just getting started 0-0 in the 2nd.

Olympic Fan
05-22-2014, 04:46 PM
Duke 2, Georgia Tech 0 after 5 innings

Olympic Fan
05-22-2014, 05:32 PM
Duke still batting with a 4-0 lead in the top of the seventh

Duvall
05-22-2014, 06:06 PM
Duke still batting with a 4-0 lead in the top of the seventh

Duke wins, 6-0.

Tappan Zee Devil
05-22-2014, 06:31 PM
Tiebreaker scenarios:

I know it's fanciful -- we'd be very lucky to beat Georgia Tech and Miami to get to 2-1. But if we do, here's the big issue: we need Clemson to lose twice more.

If we end up in a two-way tie with Miami (or Georgia Tech) at 2-1, we win the tiebreaker with our head-to-head win (which we don't have yet). If we end up in a tie with Clemson, we lose for the same reason.

But what if everybody beats up on Georgia Tech (possible, they are the No. 8 seed and have already used a top pitcher to win a play-in game) and we end up with a three-way tie at 2-1 -- Duke beats Miami ... Miami beats Clemson ... Clemson beats Duke?

In that case, the tiebreaker is regular season finish -- and Miami wins the tiebreaker and goes to the title game.

In the unlikely case that everybody beats up on No. 1 seed Miami and we get a Duke, Clemson, Georgia Tech tie at 2-1 (Duke beats GT ... GT beats Clemson ... Clemson beats Duke) ... then Duke wins the tiebreaker because of regular season finish.

So it's not impossible -- just very, VERY unlikely. In reality, Miami isn't likely to finish any worse than 2-1 ... that's why I say we need to get Clemson out of the 2-1 picture. The only way we can win a tiebreaker if Clemson goes 2-1 is for Miami to go 0-3. That ain't likely to happen.

I think I have it figured right. As I said before, lose one more and those is no possible way to win the round-robin -- SOMEBODY has to win at least two games.

So - we should root for Miami this evening?
I find that difficult to do.

Duvall
05-22-2014, 06:37 PM

Does it matter? With a Miami win tonight, Duke would need a Duke win tomorrow and a Clemson loss to Georgia Tech to advance. With a Clemson win tonight, Duke would need...a Duke win tomorrow and a Clemson loss to Georgia Tech.

Olympic Fan
05-22-2014, 06:40 PM

Actually, tonight's game is basically irrelevant. The Clemson-Georgia Tech game is the one that matters. Duke HAS to beat Miami Saturday and Georgia Tech HAS to beat Clemson.

If Clemson loses to Miami and beats Georgia Tech, they win the head-to-head tiebreaker with us (assuming we beat Miami). Clemson and Duke would be 2-1 ... Miami and Georgia Tech would be 1-2.

If Clemson beats Miami and loses to Georgia Tech, we win the three-way tiebreaker (again, assuming we beat Miami). Duke, Clemson and Ga Tech all 2-1, Miami 0-3.

If Clemson loses to Miami and loses to Georgia Tech, we win the head-to-head tiebreaker with Georgia Tech -- both at 2-1 (and Miami, Clemson at 1-2).

So tonight's game has NO impact on our chances. The only two that matter are Duke-Miami and Clemson-Georgia Tech.

Olympic Fan
05-22-2014, 07:00 PM
Looking at the situation a little more closely ...

Georgia Tech-Clemson is Friday at 3 p.m., so before we play Miami at 11 a.m. Saturday, we'll know if Duke-Miami means anything.

I did have one second thought about tonight's Clemson-Miami game. It might impact the Duke-Miami game in one way -- Miami's mindset.

The 'Canes were the No. 1 seed in the entire tournament. If they lose tonight, they are eliminated and the Duke game is meaningless for them. If they win tonight, they clinch a spot in the championship game by beating Duke.

That's a huge difference in motivation. I don't know how they would handle elimination -- would they throw a second-line pitcher? rest regulars for next week's NCAA Tournament? Or would they go all out, playing for NCAA seeding?

I do know that if they beat Clemson tonight and play Duke for a spot in the title game, then they do go all out with everything they have.

burnspbesq
05-22-2014, 09:41 PM
FWIW, Miami and Clemson are tied, 2-2, in the middle of the eighth.

burnspbesq
05-22-2014, 10:39 PM
Walkoff win for Clemson, 3-2.

killerleft
05-23-2014, 11:16 AM
After watching in-person Van Orden and the Homers take care of Tech, I am stoked for the game against Miami on Saturday. Tournament ball is fun. After kicking the Jackets, we get to root them on in a big way today.

For anyone who hasn't been, Greensboro's Newbridge Bank Park is one of the coziest and fan-friendlier parks in baseball. The main seating area is much like the Durham Bulls DBAP grandstand, but with a large and roomy concourse behind the top row of seats. The concessions are located at the back wall facing the field. The concourse area is covered by the tier that houses the VIP suites above. So, whilst you're buying your favorite beverage and hot dog, you don't miss the game!

I hope there are some fellow-bandwagoneers like myself at the game Saturday, especially if the game against the Hurricanes turns out to be Duke's most important baseball game in a long while. It would be very impressive if Duke could be playing for all the marbles on Sunday!

The only downer for the tournament is that beer-drinkers are banished to the area behind the left field wall unless you can finagle some VIP suite tickets.

chrishoke
05-23-2014, 11:42 AM
Go Jackets! Beat those Tigers. I wish I could be there. The crowds have been shockingly small. TV is killing game atmosphere.

Olympic Fan
05-23-2014, 12:47 PM
Go Jackets ....

BTW, Maryland is blowing up the other side of the bracket. The Terps beat Virginia (which spent much of the season as No. 1 in the nation) Thursday and they are up 4-0 on FSU (also a top 10 team) in the 5th in Friday morning's game.

Clemson can clinch a spot in the title game by beating Georgia Tech this afternoon. If the Jackets win, then Duke can get the spot by beating Miami Saturday (a GT win today and a Duke loss tomorrow puts GT in the title game).

Even if Clemson wins today and the Duke-Miami game is meaningless for the ACC Tournament, it's not impossible that a win would help Duke's chances of getting an NCAA bid. I understand that the Devils are a long-shot right now, but a closing win over a top 10 team (along with last week's win at FSU and the earlier win vs. Ga Tech) has to help to some degree.

One more point. The article on the front page said that Duke has no baseball tradition. That should be no RECENT tradition. It's much like Duke football before Cut -- a great, GREAT tradition followed by many years of futility. Through the 1961 College World Series appearance, Duke was probably the best baseball program in the Southern Conference/ACC.

Reilly
05-23-2014, 01:25 PM
This resource from the Southern Conference only lists baseball champions beginning in 1954:
http://www.soconsports.com/fls/4000/socon/files/Baseball.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=4000

Duke's baseball media guide lists Duke as being Southern Conference champs in 1937, 1938, 1939, 1951, 1952 and 1953 (and ACC Champs in 1956 and 1957).

Bob Green
05-23-2014, 04:41 PM
Georgia Tech leads Clemson 1-0 in 6th. Go Yellow Jackets!

killerleft
05-23-2014, 05:23 PM
GT goes up 3-0 on 2-run homer in top of ninth.

Edit: 3-0 going to the bottom of the ninth.

killerleft
05-23-2014, 05:38 PM
Headline:

Duke two wins away from becoming Baseball School!

Final score: GT 3, Clemson 0 !

Olympic Fan
05-23-2014, 06:29 PM
This resource from the Southern Conference only lists baseball champions beginning in 1954:
http://www.soconsports.com/fls/4000/socon/files/Baseball.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=4000

Duke's baseball media guide lists Duke as being Southern Conference champs in 1937, 1938, 1939, 1951, 1952 and 1953 (and ACC Champs in 1956 and 1957).

Duke also won the ACC title in 1961 -- that's nine conference titles in the 25 years between 1937 and 1961. I doubt there was another program with anywhere near many in that span.

Three World Series appearances -- 1951, 1953 and 1961.

Not sure about the Southern Conference situation before 1937 ... the league was so large (20-plus teams before the SEC breakoff in 1932 and up to 17 teams afterwards) that I'm not sure the conference awarded a championship in the 20s and early '30s ... but I do know that Duke was a strong program at that time with Jack Coombs as coach. His last year was the 1951 World Series (with Groat as the star). Ace Parker took over and guided the program to two more College WS appearances.

Back to today ... Georgia Tech's win makes it simple -- if Duke beats Miami, Duke is in the ACC title game ... if Miami wins, then Georgia Tech makes it.

Looks like Maryland will come out of the other bracket ... in fact, they clinch a spot if UVa beats UNC tonight.

Olympic Fan
05-23-2014, 11:10 PM
Virginia beats UNC 3-2 in Friday's late game ... that clinches a spot in the title game for Maryland, no matter what happens Saturday.

The Terps will play Duke beats Miami Saturday ... or Georgia Tech if Duke loses to the Canes.

Reilly
05-23-2014, 11:35 PM
Duke also won the ACC title in 1961 ...

I was wondering about that. Page 68 of the Duke baseball media guide lists Duke as a 1961 CWS participant ... but not as ACC Champs:

http://www.goduke.com/fls/4200/stats/2013-14/baseball/2014%20Media%20Guide.pdf

Page 52 of the ACC media guide gets it right:

http://raycomsports.com/sports_labs_docs/m-basebl/2012-13_m-basebl_13accbaseguide.pdf

roywhite
05-24-2014, 07:34 AM
[QUOTE=Reilly;731537]I was wondering about that. Page 68 of the Duke baseball media guide lists Duke as a 1961 CWS participant ... but not as ACC Champs:

A little connection to the present day....the manager of that 1961 Duke baseball team was the Crazy Towel Guy, Herb Neubauer.

MulletMan
05-24-2014, 09:24 AM
Alright... Do I have this correct? We win and we play in the title game. Miami is out of the title game and thus has nothing to play for b/c they are already a lock for the NCAA Regional. We lose and Clemson plays Maryland?

Thanks for running down all the scenarios gang!

Duvall
05-24-2014, 09:31 AM
Alright... Do I have this correct? We win and we play in the title game. Miami is out of the title game and thus has nothing to play for b/c they are already a lock for the NCAA Regional. We lose and Clemson plays Maryland?

Thanks for running down all the scenarios gang!

If Duke loses, Georgia Tech goes to the title game. The top three seeds, including Miami, are out.

sagegrouse
05-24-2014, 10:54 AM
If Duke loses, Georgia Tech goes to the title game. The top three seeds, including Miami, are out.

Big-time bracket busting, I would say.

killerleft
05-24-2014, 12:22 PM
Miami coming to bat leading 2-1, top of 5th.

94duke
05-24-2014, 12:34 PM
Close play at the plate. Now it's 3 - 1, Miami, middle of the 5th.

94duke
05-24-2014, 12:49 PM
Duke picks up a run in the bottom of the 5th. It's now 3 - 2, Miami.
We are stranding too many runners.

killerleft
05-24-2014, 12:52 PM
Miami up 3-2, batting top of 6th.

mdj
05-24-2014, 01:08 PM
This Miami pitchers unflappable, I'm pretty sure he was squinting not smiling with the bases loaded though.

mdj
05-24-2014, 01:14 PM
Ugh. Like the play though took a perfect throw to get him.

killerleft
05-24-2014, 01:56 PM
Duke batting bottom of 8th. Down 4-2.

killerleft
05-24-2014, 02:15 PM
Bottom of 9th down 2.

Deslok
05-24-2014, 02:26 PM
And BOOM... 2 run homer to tie it up

DukieInKansas
05-24-2014, 02:30 PM
Bottom of 9th down 2.

Way to go, Perez! First homerun of his college career to tie it. Wish we could have gotten another to end the game instead of extra innings.

Olympic Fan
05-24-2014, 02:31 PM
pinch hitter Cristian Perez delivers the two-run homer off Miami's closer ...

Going to the top of the 10th, tied 4-4

killerleft
05-24-2014, 02:33 PM
Frozen rope!

TruBlu
05-24-2014, 02:39 PM
Held Miami in the 10th. Bottom of the 10th, Duke at bat. Still 4-4.

devildeac
05-24-2014, 03:13 PM
Just turned the game on and saw a replay of Miami scoring on a WP (or PB) to take the lead, 5-4, in the top of the 12th:mad:.

devildeac
05-24-2014, 03:18 PM
Dammit. Went downstairs to report the score to my wife and came back upstairs and the 'Canes added another run to lead 6-4:mad::mad:. Duke to the plate bottom of the 12th. Put on your rally caps cuz the guys in Blue need another miracle.

Olympic Fan
05-24-2014, 03:30 PM
6-5 ... two outs and runners at the corner ....

Just came up short ... 6-5 final.

Probably the season-ender (an NCAA at-large bid is possible, but a long-shot)

devildeac
05-24-2014, 03:30 PM
Down to our last out and trailing by 2, big hopper up the middle that the Miami SS can't field and our runner scores from 2nd as the ball gets "booted" into short CF. Now, down 1, runners on the corners and the 'Canes changing pitchers. Biting nails.

75Crazie
05-24-2014, 03:31 PM
OMG, Root Sports here in Denver just left the game with 2 outs, tieing run on 3rd. Aaarrrgggghhhhh

devildeac
05-24-2014, 03:33 PM
Must have been a unc ump behind the plate as our batter got called out looking on what looked like a curve ball that was a foot outside, exactly where the catcher set up. No way that was the 3rd strike:mad::mad::mad:. Tough loss.

WakeDevil
05-24-2014, 03:35 PM
No ump at any level is going to have a clue about the outside pitch as long as they set up on the inside corner. That was a horrible call.

TruBlu
05-24-2014, 04:37 PM
Yep, bad call on that third strike. I didn't watch all of the game, as I was switching channels back and forth . . . primarily watching the Lax win. I generally only watched the baseball game when Duke was at bat, and I saw several "questionable" outside pitches called strikes against Duke hitters.

Was the Ump also calling it that way when Miami was at bat, or did we get hosed?

With it being extra innings, the Ump may have been running late to call a t-ball game in High Point.

burnspbesq
05-24-2014, 11:34 PM
Disappointing way to see the season (most likely) end, but it's impossible to feel anything but optimism where Duke baseball is concerned. Way to go, fellas. Proud to have you representing Duke.

Olympic Fan
05-25-2014, 01:12 PM
Can anybody who follows Duke baseball closely fill me in on the prospects for next season?

Duke had 14 seniors this year -- the normal starting lineup included one non-senior -- the sophomore SS.

On the other hand, the pitching staff is mostly young. Just one senior was among the top hurlers.

And I know from this thread that Pollard has a good recruiting class coming in.

Are there any other young position players on the verge of a breakout? What about football players -- Jonathan Lloyd was supposed to be a top baseball guy, but I didn't see his name in the box scores. The Harris kid who just committed in football is also regarded as a top football prospect. Any chance of getting help from that quarter?

Perhaps this discussion should be put on hold until after the NCAA pairings are announced Monday at noon. But I'm still interested in looking into the looking glass. Long term, I have no doubt that Pollard will get it done -- I'm just wondering whether we have to take a step back first?

Here is a Turtle
05-25-2014, 08:35 PM
GT beats Maryland in the ACC Championship after taking advantage of a shaky Maryland bullpen. Both teams were already definitely in the field with Maryland having an outside shot at a 2 seed (kinda shocking considering they got swept by BC three weeks ago) so this does not affect the bubble like Liberty losing does. Should be interesting to see how many teams the ACC gets. I think 7. UVA, FSU, MD, GT, Miami, Clemson, and North Carolina barely.

Olympic Fan
05-26-2014, 02:14 PM
Not unexpected, but Duke did not get an NCAA at-large bid:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/page/14baseballsked/2014-ncaa-baseball-tournament-schedule-results

No real complaints -- the ACC got Georgia Tech, Virginia, Miami, FSU, Clemson, Maryland and UNC in the field.

I'm not a baseball guru, but it does gripe me that UNC got in and we didn't -- I know their RPI was higher, but we swept them in three games AND finished ahead of them in the ACC standings.

devildeac
05-26-2014, 02:20 PM

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/page/14baseballsked/2014-ncaa-baseball-tournament-schedule-results

No real complaints -- the ACC got Georgia Tech, Virginia, Miami, FSU, Clemson, Maryland and UNC in the field.

I'm not a baseball guru, but it does gripe me that UNC got in and we didn't -- I know their RPI was higher, but we swept them in three games AND finished ahead of them in the ACC standings.

But I thought we got all the calls. Even in baseball:rolleyes:.

Here is a Turtle
05-27-2014, 05:44 PM

UNC's record against RPI top 50 (8-12) was better than Duke's (6-15). Since they were in the last four in, that win against Maryland over the weekend probably was what got them in.

I think of it like when UVA and MD missed the tournament a couple years ago. Weak SOS and RPI doomed them, even with quality victories. I think Duke has a good shot at winning next year if they play a few harder weekday games. RPI is weird. They could go get swept by Florida and be fine.

BlueDevil14
07-20-2014, 01:25 PM
I don't know a lot about baseball recruiting, but I do know this -- ranking baseball recruiting before the MLB Draft is a futile exercise.

A very large percentage of the nation's top prospects will be drafted and will start playing minor league baseball this summer. Unlike basketball (in the days high school prospects could be drafted), where pro-minded kids had to declare for the draft, there is no declaration in pro baseball. The teams draft whom the want and the kids then decided whether to sign with the pros or go to college. A few top picks do take the college route, but most of the top picks opt for pro baseball (as you would expect the percentage goes down the farther down the draft you'd go -- it exceptional when a first-round pick goes on to college).

I expect Duke to be relatively immune to this, since academics should have played a role in their choice. But remember, back in the old basketball days we did lose Shaun Livingston, so it's possible we will lose a recruit. But I expect Duke to move UP in the rankings relative to what people ahead of us lose.

BTW: The MLB Draft is June 6 this year

Only after that process can anybody rate recruiting classes with any degree of accuracy.

So now that the MLB signing period is officially over, Duke's 2014 recruiting class is ranked #16 in the nation according to Perfect Game USA. After hovering in and around the 60s over the past several years, I'm going to guess that this would be their highest ranking in recent memory, possibly ever. Although the draft certainly changes things, their 2015 class is also currently ranked 16th in the country. Two of our 2014 commits passed on the draft to come to Duke, which is again a first in recent memory. Although we will still be in the "program-building" stages for the next couple of years, I don't think there is any doubt that we are headed in the right direction under the current staff!

CameronBornAndBred
07-20-2014, 01:29 PM
So now that the MLB signing period is officially over, Duke's 2014 recruiting class is ranked #16 in the nation according to Perfect Game USA. After hovering in and around the 60s over the past several years, I'm going to guess that this would be their highest ranking in recent memory, possibly ever. Although the draft certainly changes things, their 2015 class is also currently ranked 16th in the country. Two of our 2014 commits passed on the draft to come to Duke, which is again a first in recent memory. Although we will still be in the "program-building" stages for the next couple of years, I don't think there is any doubt that we are headed in the right direction under the current staff!
A few words moved here and there, and it is amazing how well this post could fit into a FB recruiting thread. Kevin White is turning into an amazing hire for Duke. It is not just the people he has brought in, but the support he is giving where it is needed.

arnie
07-20-2014, 01:38 PM
A few words moved here and there, and it is amazing how well this post could fit into a FB recruiting thread. Kevin White is turning into an amazing hire for Duke. It is not just the people he has brought in, but the support he is giving where it is needed.

Agree totally. I don't know anything about inner workings or the politics between the athletic department and Duke admin/Trustees, but Mr. White has been remarkable in turning those programs around. Obviously the coaching hires have been huge, but it seems to go much deeper than that. I'm confident the Big Hire he may make in the future will be well thought out and successful. I didn't think that way 6-7 years ago.