PDA

View Full Version : MLax: Duke 17, Virginia 15

burnspbesq
04-11-2014, 12:40 PM
Duke has owned the Hoos for the last decade (Virginia has won two national championships since its last regular-season win over Duke, in 2004). Could tonight be different?

Yes, it could. Virginia's 8-4 record (1-3 in ACC play) is somewhat misleading. The Hoos' losses are all to ranked teams, and were all close except for a stomping at Notre Dame. They have wins over Loyola, Hopkins, and Syracuse, and are 5-0 at home. This is a talented and deep team that does some things extremely well.

On offense, the Hoos are attack-oriented. Senior Mark Cockerton is fourth in the country with 36 goals, and sophomore James Pannell has chipped in with 31. The Hoos' first midfield features three double-digit goal-scorers in Rob Emery, Ryan Tucker, and Greg Coholan, and their second unit (Tyler German, Pat Harbeson, and heralded freshman Zed Williams) is as good as any second unit in the country. The Hoos are number 18 in adjusted offensive efficiency, and put up 12.8 goals per game (vs 13.9 for Duke).

The defense is sound, but trails the offense in every major statistical category. The Hoos' are number 23 in adjusted defensive efficiency; opponents cash in on just over 29 percent of their possessions (compared to 27.7 percent for Duke, which is number 14 in this category). The Hoos give up 10.7 goals per game (vs. 8.5 for Duke). Pre-season All-American Scott McWilliams is living up to the hype, and Tanner Scales and Greg Danseglio are improved over last year. SSDM Chris LaPierre isn't quite back to 100 percent from last year's devastating knee injury, but he's playing at a near-All-American level. The Hoos' goaltending is not up to standard, and is probably their biggest weakness. Freshman Mart Barrett is saving only 47.7 percent of the shots he sees, and is giving up over 11 goals per game.

The Hoos love to push tempo; at almost 73 possessions per game, they are in the top five in the country in that category. Duke is certainly capable of running with them, but ball security will be extremely important against the best riding team in the country (the Hoos blow up over 22 percent of opponent's clearing opportunities).

A win over the Cavs would lock Duke into no worse than the second seed in the ACC tournament (depending on the outcome of next week's Maryland - ND game), extend their six-game winning streak, and enhance their case for the overall top seed in next month's NCAA tournament.

chrishoke
04-11-2014, 12:59 PM
How are the Hoos at the X?

MCFinARL
04-11-2014, 01:39 PM
How are the Hoos at the X?

According to stats on the UVA website, they are 151 of 319 on the year, with the usual faceoff guy, Mick Parks, at 106 of 204.

So, pretty close to 50-50. Could be an opportunity for Duke there.

Bob Green
04-11-2014, 03:05 PM
Thanks for the heads-up, Burns! It sounds like this could be a good one so I'm definitely going to tune in and watch the game.

chrishoke
04-11-2014, 06:28 PM
4-3 Hoos. Getting killed at the X and in transition.

chrishoke
04-11-2014, 06:37 PM
They want it more. Come on Devils!

chrishoke
04-11-2014, 06:43 PM
Tied at 6, 10 to go in 1st half. Fowler with 3 straight face off wins.

chrishoke
04-11-2014, 07:00 PM
five straight goals for the good guys. 9-6 Duke. Fowler starting to dominate. Defense stepping up.

Bob Green
04-11-2014, 07:04 PM
Halftime: 10-7 Duke. A very entertaining game. Virginia scored with 2.7 seconds left in the half to break a 6-0 Duke run.

chrishoke
04-11-2014, 07:32 PM
Big hit on Luke D, questionable 1 min unnecessary roughness penalty on virginia, duke cashes in - 12-8 Duke. 8 to go in the 3rd.

chrishoke
04-11-2014, 07:41 PM
Two in a row for the Cavs, 13-10 duke at the end of three. Luke has not re-entered.

chrishoke
04-11-2014, 08:01 PM
17-12 Duke, 6 to go, Myles Jones beasting, so fun to watch.

chrishoke
04-11-2014, 08:06 PM
17-14 with 3 to go.

SCMatt33
04-11-2014, 08:10 PM
Man, the clearing game has looked real shaky in the second half here. Fowler is dominating, but Duke has made some silly mistakes to give the ball away before getting set up. The offense has been flawless. Too close for how this game has gone.

JetpackJesus
04-11-2014, 08:15 PM
Man, the clearing game has looked real shaky in the second half here. Fowler is dominating, but Duke has made some silly mistakes to give the ball away before getting set up. The offense has been flawless. Too close for how this game has gone.

They've certainly done their best to make this game much more exciting than it ought to be.

Bob Green
Final: 17-15 Duke! Closer at the end than it should have been.

chrishoke
17-15 final.

burnspbesq
04-11-2014, 09:51 PM
Crazy looking box score. Duke 16 turnovers to two for Virginia. Five failed clears for Duke. Hoos outshot Duke 53-34.

On the other hand, UVa's keepers had four saves.

Fowler 22-35, including 9-for-10 in the fourth quarter.

Fourteen saves for Aaron.

Henry Lobb is my MOTM. Cockerton had one (extra-man) goal and no assists.

Survive and advance. Rutgers up next, a week from tomorrow on Senior Day for the class of 2014 (and 2007, too ;)).

devilirium
04-12-2014, 08:16 PM
Random question...what happened with Turri? Aaron has played great so not arguing the switch. This seems to happen more frequently in lax.

MCFinARL
04-12-2014, 09:27 PM
Random question...what happened with Turri? Aaron has played great so not arguing the switch. This seems to happen more frequently in lax.

Turri got off to a rough start this season, letting in 9 goals with 2 saves in the opener against Jacksonville and then giving up 4 goals with 1 save in the first period against Denver, after which Aaron came in and had 9 saves with 6 goals against. Since then, Aaron has been the starting goalie, although Turri did play a solid quarter against Loyola after Aaron was shelled in that game.

Aaron did come out of high school with a reputation as a very solid goalie.

Re the clearing game--it was pretty shaky. Worth noting, though, that apparently Virginia has one of the most effective rides on the clear in the NCAA--so it may be as much their strength as Duke's weakness.

budwom
04-13-2014, 11:49 AM
And may we all rejoice that the tarheels went up to syracuse, looked like they had the game won....and then lost in OT.
Few things are as gratifying as that. Grilled steak, nice cocktail, heels losing, what's not to like about last night?

MCFinARL
04-13-2014, 02:49 PM
And may we all rejoice that the tarheels went up to syracuse, looked like they had the game won....and then lost in OT.
Few things are as gratifying as that. Grilled steak, nice cocktail, heels losing, what's not to like about last night?

I actually found the cocktail and the and the game outcome to be quite satisfying even without a steak.

I keep thinking any time now UNC is going to get it and they are going to play up to the level of talent Bresci recruits--happy we aren't there yet.

BigWayne
04-13-2014, 05:23 PM
I think this means we play Syracuse in the ACCT no matter what now.

There is only one game left between ND and MD. If MD wins, they come in first, Duke is 2nd, and ND/Syracuse/UNC are tied at 2-3. Syracuse gets slot #3 from the tiebreak and ND is 4th, leaving UNC to play in the exhibition game with UVA. If ND wins, they get the #2 spot, with MD at #3 and Syracuse getting 4th in a tiebreak over UNC. So I am pretty sure it means the ACCT is Duke/Syr and ND/MD, with the only thing left to be settled being the color of the jerseys in the ND/MD game.

dpslaw
04-14-2014, 08:27 PM
Am I the only one who thinks the championship format is completely bogus? Instead of seeds 5 and 6 playing an exhibition game, why not have seeds 3 through 6 play into the semis?

burnspbesq
04-14-2014, 08:46 PM
Am I the only one who thinks the championship format is completely bogus? Instead of seeds 5 and 6 playing an exhibition game, why not have seeds 3 through 6 play into the semis?

That's the Patriot League format this year, with the 3 vs. 6 and 4 vs. 5 games played at the higher-seeded team on Wednesday. I'll bet you a nickel that it's not the Patriot League format next year.

In the case of the ACC, you create the possibility of having to play three games against top-10 teams in five days, which is just brutal (yeah, I know, there is the possibility of playing five games in five days in the basketball tournament, but I played both games growing up and my experience was that lacrosse is an order of magnitude more physically demanding).

Also not a good time of the semester to pull guys out of class for what could turn out to be four days.

MCFinARL
04-14-2014, 09:04 PM
That's the Patriot League format this year, with the 3 vs. 6 and 4 vs. 5 games played at the higher-seeded team on Wednesday. I'll bet you a nickel that it's not the Patriot League format next year.

In the case of the ACC, you create the possibility of having to play three games against top-10 teams in five days, which is just brutal (yeah, I know, there is the possibility of playing five games in five days in the basketball tournament, but I played both games growing up and my experience was that lacrosse is an order of magnitude more physically demanding).

Also not a good time of the semester to pull guys out of class for what could turn out to be four days.

Yeah, there is a reason the lacrosse season has fewer games than the basketball season. That format would be really demanding.

The women, who have eight teams this year, will do a complete tournament, with quarterfinals and semifinals on Thursday and Friday and finals on Sunday. But the women's game is designed to avoid contact, so it doesn't take as much out of the players.