PDA

View Full Version : Hell Yes, Duke [Football/Track]!

Native
04-10-2014, 01:55 PM
Didn't see a thread posted on this, but four of our football players — wide receivers Issac Blakeney, Anthony Nash and Ryan Smith, running back Josh Snead, and defensive back DeVon Edwards — have apparently joined the track team (http://www.dukechronicle.com/articles/2014/04/09/beyond-gridiron) in the offseason and are off to quite the start.

Blakeney on their recent win:

“We ran 41.3. The record is 41.06. I honestly felt like our race was pretty sloppy,” Blakeney said. “Obviously, I’m glad we got the win but there’s a lot of things we can improve on. As we get in better shape, we’ll finish stronger.”

It's laughable how athletic we are now in comparison to a few years ago.

Speed kills.

CameronBornAndBred
04-10-2014, 02:17 PM
My favorite quote.

Should the Blue Devils' crossover experiment continue, it will provide a chance for those players who wish to compete in both a top-25 football program and in track to do just that, which Snead noted would help the program. This two-sport option suddenly makes Duke an even bigger draw for top-tier athletes looking to make the most of their college experience.
http://s3.amazonaws.com/readrboard/widget/images/blank.png

Dev11
04-10-2014, 02:49 PM
For those with more knowledge of the track and field scene, how does the early spring practice schedule for football help or hurt the players who want to participate? I would imagine that the early practice gives them more of an opportunity, as they are not involved in formal football activities when the spring sports schedule gets going.

More structured training time should be a good thing. I like this.

noworries
04-10-2014, 11:35 PM
For those with more knowledge of the track and field scene, how does the early spring practice schedule for football help or hurt the players who want to participate? I would imagine that the early practice gives them more of an opportunity, as they are not involved in formal football activities when the spring sports schedule gets going.

More structured training time should be a good thing. I like this.

How early is it? I imagine spring football covers a decent amount of outdoor season but probably not much of indoor. I work at HPU and was at the meet and saw the 4x100...so quick. Other schools I've been at do the same things with football players doing sprints in the spring.

uh_no
04-11-2014, 12:25 AM
How early is it? I imagine spring football covers a decent amount of outdoor season but probably not much of indoor. I work at HPU and was at the meet and saw the 4x100...so quick. Other schools I've been at do the same things with football players doing sprints in the spring.

eh, i'd track isn't run like the other sports....since it's largely individual, you can show up at a meet and compete....and if you have spring football, you don't race....it's not like there are dual meets against other ACC schools that duke needs to win to have a good record to get into the ncaa finals....

I don't know how closely the football players are working with the track team, but i can't imagine the track team would be upset by having fast guys that want to come and race under the duke singlet, especially if they could put up some points at ACCs in sprints, where duke has traditionally been very weak

MCFinARL
04-11-2014, 08:36 AM
eh, i'd track isn't run like the other sports....since it's largely individual, you can show up at a meet and compete....and if you have spring football, you don't race....it's not like there are dual meets against other ACC schools that duke needs to win to have a good record to get into the ncaa finals....

I don't know how closely the football players are working with the track team, but i can't imagine the track team would be upset by having fast guys that want to come and race under the duke singlet, especially if they could put up some points at ACCs in sprints, where duke has traditionally been very weak

That makes sense--although as the linked article makes clear, it's important to practice baton handoffs if you are going to run relays, and this group apparently struggled with that before having a breakthrough and getting it right in this race. So they would have to be doing some actual work with the track coaches.

burnspbesq
04-11-2014, 12:51 PM
For comparative purposes, 41.3 is not among the top 30 performances of the season so far. ND currently leads the ACC at 40.45. Florida is the national leader at 38.29.

MCFinARL
04-11-2014, 01:28 PM
For comparative purposes, 41.3 is not among the top 30 performances of the season so far. ND currently leads the ACC at 40.45. Florida is the national leader at 38.29.

Yes, as someone mentioned upthread, Duke has not been very strong in sprints, thus the school record of 41.06 is not that impressive. But if this group can come that close to the school record on their first try, it suggests the possibility that having the football players work with the track team can benefit both sports. Clearly, though, no one should expect a significant impact on ACC track and field.

Bob Green
04-11-2014, 04:14 PM
Clearly, though, no one should expect a significant impact on ACC track and field.

Agreed! The objective is a significant impact on Duke football.

roywhite
04-11-2014, 05:32 PM
Yes, as someone mentioned upthread, Duke has not been very strong in sprints, thus the school record of 41.06 is not that impressive. But if this group can come that close to the school record on their first try, it suggests the possibility that having the football players work with the track team can benefit both sports. Clearly, though, no one should expect a significant impact on ACC track and field.

Agreed! The objective is a significant impact on Duke football.

Well, some impact certainly on Duke track and field and can make them more competitive in the ACC. DeVon Edwards running a 10.73 100 meters, for example, would be on the border of making the finals in the conference championships, and a 41.3 4x100 would have placed third last year.

Duke track has improved significantly in the last few years with the addition of some good multi-event athletes and better performers in events like the high jump, pole vault, discus (ex-footballer Austin Gamble making his mark here, by the way) and shot put. The traditionally strong areas have been in the middle and long distances.

Duke coach Norm Ogilvie seems pleased as noted in this article from GoDuke.com about the recent meet in High Point (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22490&SPID=1835&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209454824&DB_OEM_ID=4200)

“The meet went really well,” said Duke’s Director of Track and Field Norm Ogilvie. “A good weekend. The excellent thing about the last few weekends is we’ve seen different segments of the team have great days.”

“Based off the last two weekends, Duke outdoor track and field has never been in a better place than we are right now, and it’s a lot of fun,” Ogilvie said.

Devil in the Blue Dress
04-11-2014, 05:57 PM
Well, some impact certainly on Duke track and field and can make them more competitive in the ACC. DeVon Edwards running a 10.73 100 meters, for example, would be on the border of making the finals in the conference championships, and a 41.3 4x100 would have placed third last year.

Duke track has improved significantly in the last few years with the addition of some good multi-event athletes and better performers in events like the high jump, pole vault, discus (ex-footballer Austin Gamble making his mark here, by the way) and shot put. The traditionally strong areas have been in the middle and long distances.

Duke coach Norm Ogilvie seems pleased as noted in this article from GoDuke.com about the recent meet in High Point (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22490&SPID=1835&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209454824&DB_OEM_ID=4200)

Looks to me like a good way to make the place better than it was when they first arrived.... that might be Coach Cutcliffe's Rule #1. All sorts of good symbiosis going on!

MCFinARL
04-12-2014, 12:17 AM

More competitive is good, sure. And maybe there will be a bigger impact than think. It's mostly just a question of how you define "significant," I guess.