PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Connette transferring to Fresno State

DtrainBuckshot
04-09-2014, 07:36 PM
I just saw this on the news. He is considering a transfer to a west coast school to be close to his ill mother. Since he has graduated he could play next season if he chooses to transfer.

Link..

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/jeremy-fowler/24520224/duke-qb-brandon-connette-can-explore-possible-transfer

I hope he does what is best for him and his family.

Bob Green
04-09-2014, 07:52 PM
This hurts! Yes we have a lot of depth at QB but Connette is a very strong runner, he is an offensive weapon in short yardage situations who really came on strong last season when inserted into the starting line-up when Boone was hurt. Obviously all Duke fans desire what is best for Connette and his family but make no mistake losing Connette will be a big blow if it happens.

Reilly
04-09-2014, 07:53 PM
His brother plays for San Jose State -- wonder if that is the school.

alteran
04-10-2014, 10:18 AM
I just saw this on the news. He is considering a transfer to a west coast school to be close to his ill mother. Since he has graduated he could play next season if he chooses to transfer.

Link..

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/jeremy-fowler/24520224/duke-qb-brandon-connette-can-explore-possible-transfer

I hope he does what is best for him and his family.

Best of luck to him whatever he decides, prayers and thoughts to him and his family. Bummer story all around.

Muchas gracias from Duke fans everywhere.

BigWayne
04-10-2014, 10:46 AM
His brother plays for San Jose State -- wonder if that is the school.

Obviously possible, but he is from the LA area, so one of the LA or SD schools would seem more likely as San Jose is a 6 hour drive from his hometown.

Dev11
04-10-2014, 02:49 PM
Duke Football just tweeted that it's official, Brandon is leaving. They didn't indicate yet where he's going.

Best of luck to him. He was a playmaker on one of the best teams we've had in a long time.

Scorp4me
04-10-2014, 03:01 PM
Dang! I understand why and have no problem with the decision, but I sure hate it. Was one of my favorites. Kid gave everything he had every time he was on the field. I'll definitely keep track of him next year to see how he does.

CDu
04-10-2014, 03:07 PM
Best of luck to him. Hopefully between Boone and Sirk (and possibly others) we can replace his running skills. He was a nice weapon to have. Hopefully he lands in a place that offers him the chance to be a full-time starter. I'll never begrudge a kid wanting to (a) go somewhere where he can play more or (b) go somewhere to be closer to family.

I'll appreciate the years he put in and the efforts he gave in helping us rebuild our football program.

killerleft
04-10-2014, 04:26 PM
Brandon leaves as the all-time rushing touchdown leader for the Blue Devils with 31. He's been a unique player for Duke, and I hope he will be as successful wherever he ends up playing. I'll trust that Cut can find a way to lessen the loss, but I'll surely miss Mr. Connette.

Jim3k
04-10-2014, 04:51 PM
He has his Duke degree, so he will be transferring as a graduate student. Immediate eligibility.

DukieInKansas
04-10-2014, 05:46 PM
Dang! I understand why and have no problem with the decision, but I sure hate it. Was one of my favorites. Kid gave everything he had every time he was on the field. I'll definitely keep track of him next year to see how he does.

This!

Best of luck on the next stage of your life journey, Brandon. I continue to keep your mother in my prayers.

cspan37421
04-10-2014, 05:55 PM
The touchdown record is obviously really cool, but I'll remember him most for making critical first-down runs (for more than 1-3 yards, which I think was common with his TDs) that kept us in games that we ultimately won. Many thanks to him for his service to Duke and best wishes for his future career - and kudos on already graduating.

nyesq83
04-10-2014, 07:11 PM
We are blessed because we have a coaching staff and players that pull together to ensure the best opportunity for one of our own.

阴阳

Yin Carolina and Yang Duke

We look out for our own - especially when they give us their all.

Best wishes to BC on his new adventure and bless his family.

Positive thoughts for his mom.

This is a critical point in time for Duke Football. I expect the remaining players to step it up a couple notches.

About danger/opportunity from the wikipedia:

Chinese philologist Victor H. Mair of the University of Pennsylvania states the popular interpretation of wēijī—to mean "danger" and "opportunity"—is a "widespread public misperception" in the English-speaking world. While wēi (危) roughly translates to mean: "danger, dangerous; endanger, jeopardize; perilous; precipitous, precarious; high; fear, afraid"[this quote needs a citation] (as in wēixiăn 危险, "dangerous"), the polysemous jī (机) does not necessarily mean "opportunity". The compound noun jīhuì (机会) means "opportunity". But jī only acquires this connotation when used in conjunction with another morpheme (in this case hui to form jīhuì). As a Chinese character, jī has numerous meanings when conjoined with other morphemes; these can form words such as "machine, mechanical; airplane; suitable occasion; crucial point; pivot; incipient moment; opportune, opportunity; chance; key link; secret; cunning".[this quote needs a citation]

As jī in wēijī, this translates roughly as "crucial/critical point" not "opportunity".
:D

Spoke
04-10-2014, 09:20 PM
Best of luck to him. The guy looks like Tebow running the ball, and I sure will miss seeing that, but I understand wanting to be close to your family in this situation.

Newton_14
04-10-2014, 09:39 PM
I wish Brandon, his mom, and the entire family Godspeed. Sometimes life interrupts our dreams. My mom had her 5th stroke before my 18th Bday, and was sick from then until she finally lost a long battle with colon cancer when I was 25. I understand Brandon's situation totally and despite hating the fact he will not be on our team, I am glad he made the decision to go be near her. We only get one mom.

I will definitely miss him. Dynamic player who put it all together last year. On top of the running skills, he put up outstanding numbers as a starting QB as well.

I hope he lands in a situation where he can get PT, use his skillset and win some games. He deserves it.

devildeac
04-10-2014, 10:04 PM
One of my memories of Cut's first (I think) tour of North Carolina was his 3 Fs (no, Ozzie, not 9Fs) of his approach to the game. Family. Fellowship (I suppose faith and/or friends could be interwoven here, too). Football. In that order. He stressed that to his staff, players and recruits and lived by it. I'm glad young Mr. Connette has learned well from his example. I really grew to like/admire him tremendously as his career progressed and I believe we'll miss him an awful lot this season. Family first as I also stress to my co-workers, friends and partners. Best of luck and prayers to him and his family.

Reilly
04-10-2014, 11:14 PM
Obviously possible, but he is from the LA area, so one of the LA or SD schools would seem more likely as San Jose is a 6 hour drive from his hometown.

Brandon's dad posted a nice message (with an update about Mrs. Connettte) on Scout's The Devils Den board, noting Brandon wanted to be "within a few hours drive" of his mom and that his letter of release "has been sent to 3-5 schools on the west coast and his final destination has yet to be determined."

Mabdul Doobakus
04-11-2014, 02:25 AM
Bummer but good luck to him. He played an important role in the resurgence of Duke football (hell yes).

chrishoke
04-11-2014, 12:51 PM
Some lucky team will be getting a champion - and a lot of new fans of the Duke blue variety. Thank you BC. One of my all time favs.

Bob Green
04-25-2014, 04:55 AM
Brandon Connette will play his senior season at Fresno State:

Brandon Connette
‏@BCon_18 Officially a #Bulldog @FresnoStateFB pic.twitter.com/YQ5YctGEUl

Good Luck!

brevity
05-09-2014, 08:45 PM
This just in:

In light of recent events, Fresno State QB Brandon Connette is changing his last name to Carr.