PDA

View Full Version : Jersey Numbers Next Year

CameronDuke
04-09-2014, 03:19 PM
Big Jah will wear Hairston's #15 and Winslow will wear Murphy's #12 according to their twitter accounts.

Mods please move this to the appropriate place if you wish.

mr. synellinden
04-09-2014, 03:25 PM
Big Jah will wear Hairston's #15 and Winslow will wear Murphy's #12 according to their twitter accounts.

It will always be Singler's #12 to me.

CameronDuke
04-09-2014, 03:27 PM

Singler's and Wojo's to me.

blazindw
04-09-2014, 03:40 PM
Here are all the eligible numbers and whether they are open or taken (or retired). Note that players who haven't declared for the draft are still Duke players and I have listed them here accordingly, but seniors have been taken off:

0/00 (can have one but not both) -
1 - Parker
2 - Cook
3 -
4 - retired (Redick)
5 - Hood
10 - retired (Groat)
11 - retired (Hurley)
12 -
13 - Jones
14 - Sulaimon
15 -
20 - Ojeleye
21 - Jefferson
22 - retired (J. Williams)
23 - retired (S. Williams)
24 - retired (Dawkins)
25 - retired (Heyman)
30 -
31 - retired (Battier)
32 - retired (Laettner)
33 - retired (Hill)
34 -
35 - retired (Ferry)
40 - Plumlee
41 -
42 -
43 - retired (Gminski)
44 - retired (Mullins)
45 - Pagliuca
50 -
51 -
52 -
53 -
54 -
55 -

NovaScotian
04-09-2014, 04:46 PM
Here are all the eligible numbers and whether they are open or taken (or retired). Note that players who haven't declared for the draft are still Duke players and I have listed them here accordingly, but seniors have been taken off:

Thanks for that!
So we're waiting for Grayson and Tyus? I think one of them will probably take 3, but there aren't a lot of great 'guard' jersey #s left at duke. Scheyer and Seth had good fortune with 30 (as did Reggie Love), though it always seemed a bit too high. What's with these big men taking the low numbers? Mcroberts, Jabari, mason, now Jahlil. Leave em for the little guys!

nocilla
04-09-2014, 04:53 PM
So we're waiting for Grayson and Tyus?

They may be waiting to see if numbers 1 and 5 are available or not.

kAzE
04-09-2014, 04:58 PM
Thanks for that!
So we're waiting for Grayson and Tyus? I think one of them will probably take 3, but there aren't a lot of great 'guard' jersey #s left at duke. Scheyer and Seth had good fortune with 30 (as did Reggie Love), though it always seemed a bit too high. What's with these big men taking the low numbers? Mcroberts, Jabari, mason, now Jahlil. Leave em for the little guys!

Who said guards have to take the low numbers? Tyus should just be #55 :D

brevity
04-09-2014, 05:24 PM
Nice work, but I was forced to make a correction. See bolded part below.

0/00 (can have one but not both) -
1 - Parker
2 - Cook
3 -
4 - retired (Redick)
5 - Hood
10 - retired (Groat)
11 - retired (Hurley)
12 -
13 - Jones
14 - Sulaimon
15 -
20 - Ojeleye
21 - Jefferson
22 - retired (J. Williams)
23 - retired (S. Williams)
24 - retired (Dawkins)
25 - retired (Heyman)
30 -
31 - retired (Battier)
32 - retired (Laettner)
33 - retired (Hill)
34 -
35 - retired (Ferry)
40 - Plumlee
41 - exhausted (P. Davidson)
42 -
43 - retired (Gminski)
44 - retired (Mullins)
45 - Pagliuca
50 -
51 -
52 -
53 -
54 -
55 -

tommy
04-09-2014, 05:33 PM

Singler's and Wojo's and Hendo's to me.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-09-2014, 05:34 PM
Who said guards have to take the low numbers? Tyus should just be #55 :D

Clearly it's wildly irrelevant now, but as I recall jersey numbers once upon a time were somewhat ordered by size. Thusly, when I was playing rec league ball, #55 was always a big dude.

tommy
04-09-2014, 05:51 PM
Clearly it's wildly irrelevant now, but as I recall jersey numbers once upon a time were somewhat ordered by size. Thusly, when I was playing rec league ball, #55 was always a big dude.

I know Jason Williams (the other one. No, the other one -- "White Chocolate") wore #55 as a guard, but just for fun, what other guards have worn numbers in the 50's? Corey Maggette wore #50 as a swingman, but who else that I'm not thinking of right now?

tommy
04-09-2014, 06:02 PM
I know Jason Williams (the other one. No, the other one -- "White Chocolate") wore #55 as a guard, but just for fun, what other guards have worn numbers in the 50's? Corey Maggette wore #50 as a swingman, but who else that I'm not thinking of right now?

OK I thought of one: Greg Anthony at UNLV and also I think with the Knicks wore #50.

tbyers11
04-09-2014, 06:03 PM

Off the top of my head, Greg Anthony wore #50 as a PG in college and the NBA

EDIT: Tommy just beat me in. No fair. You can't answer your own question :)

Edouble
04-09-2014, 06:05 PM

Mike Miller wore #50 with the Magic.

NovaScotian
04-09-2014, 06:14 PM

baron davis wore #85 for the knicks
jordan crawford wears #55 for the hawks

(this website is just a treasure: http://www.basketball-reference.com/friv/numbers.cgi)

1 24 90
04-09-2014, 06:33 PM
Grayson tweeted that he will be #3.

CameronDuke
04-09-2014, 06:47 PM
Now that Grayson Allen has tweeted that he will wear #3, I fully expect Tyus Jones to wear #5. I also fully expect Rodney Hood to enter the NBA Draft to allow this situation to occur.

Newton_14
04-09-2014, 09:38 PM

This is the appropriate place. thanks for the info.

Dukehky
04-09-2014, 09:46 PM
No more #1 or #0, unless number 1 is worn next year by its current occupant...

Troublemaker
04-09-2014, 09:51 PM
Now that Grayson Allen has tweeted that he will wear #3, I fully expect Tyus Jones to wear #5. I also fully expect Rodney Hood to enter the NBA Draft to allow this situation to occur.

Yep. Tyus wore #5 with his Howard Pulley AAU team. He wore #21 with his Apple Valley HS team, but that's taken by Amile.

throatybeard
04-09-2014, 10:01 PM
Nonetheless, it's interesting that, broadly speaking, the big guys have taken "guard numbers" but mostly the guards haven't taken big numbers.

I wonder if, one day, the Dukes and Carolinas and other programs with a lot of retired numbers will pressure the NCAA to lift the 6-9 ban. The officials in the NBA seem to manage without signaling fouls with only one hand.

I wonder if there's some inherent prestige in the single-digit numbers. I heard an interesting anecdote when Jeter announced his upcoming retirement. When he was starting out, somebody in spring training wanted to just assign him some high number in the regular course of things, like sixty-something, and Showalter, or someone, said no, give him a single digit because he's going to be great. This sounds like the sort of story that's either fabricated or embellished, but it doesn't matter, because it's truthy even if it isn't accurate.

Also note the importance of the number 10 in soccer.

I played center on my HS basketball team. (I'm six even. That's how small our school was). It wasn't a Bible school, but we played all the little Baptist Bible schools. Our archival at the time I was a senior was the Douglas County (GA) home-school association. The year I was a senior, the principal issued us crappy t-shirt "jerseys." Coach told us if we wanted to, we could go, with our own money, to the screen printing joint uptown in Carrollton, and get a black jersey with white numbers. But, he warned, "you have to keep your same number. I can't put five 23s on the court at the same time."

mattman91
04-09-2014, 10:14 PM
I really wish the 6-9 digits were allowed...dumb rule.

rasputin
04-10-2014, 10:49 AM
Nonetheless, it's interesting that, broadly speaking, the big guys have taken "guard numbers" but mostly the guards haven't taken big numbers.

I wonder if, one day, the Dukes and Carolinas and other programs with a lot of retired numbers will pressure the NCAA to lift the 6-9 ban. The officials in the NBA seem to manage without signaling fouls with only one hand.

I wonder if there's some inherent prestige in the single-digit numbers. I heard an interesting anecdote when Jeter announced his upcoming retirement. When he was starting out, somebody in spring training wanted to just assign him some high number in the regular course of things, like sixty-something, and Showalter, or someone, said no, give him a single digit because he's going to be great. This sounds like the sort of story that's either fabricated or embellished, but it doesn't matter, because it's truthy even if it isn't accurate.

Also note the importance of the number 10 in soccer.

I played center on my HS basketball team. (I'm six even. That's how small our school was). It wasn't a Bible school, but we played all the little Baptist Bible schools. Our archival at the time I was a senior was the Douglas County (GA) home-school association. The year I was a senior, the principal issued us crappy t-shirt "jerseys." Coach told us if we wanted to, we could go, with our own money, to the screen printing joint uptown in Carrollton, and get a black jersey with white numbers. But, he warned, "you have to keep your same number. I can't put five 23s on the court at the same time."

There's certainly single-digit prestige for the jerseys of the Yankees; all single digits have been retired except for 2 (which obviously is about to be retired for Derek), and 6 (which will eventually be retired for Torre). I'm discounting single 0. Perhaps there has been a Yankee to wear it, but it's not Yankee-like.
1-Billy Martin (this is a stretch)
3-Babe Ruth
4-Lou Gehrig (first number to be retired in any sport)
5-Joe DiMaggio
7-Mickey Mantle
8-jointly for Yogi Berra and Bill Dickey
9-Roger Maris

Dev11
04-10-2014, 11:16 AM
There's certainly single-digit prestige for the jerseys of the Yankees; all single digits have been retired except for 2 (which obviously is about to be retired for Derek), and 6 (which will eventually be retired for Torre). I'm discounting single 0. Perhaps there has been a Yankee to wear it, but it's not Yankee-like.
1-Billy Martin (this is a stretch)
3-Babe Ruth
4-Lou Gehrig (first number to be retired in any sport)
5-Joe DiMaggio
7-Mickey Mantle
8-jointly for Yogi Berra and Bill Dickey
9-Roger Maris

The Nationals broadcasters have made reference in the past to guys getting single digit numbers. Last year in spring training, Anthony Rendon wore #6 despite not having played above A yet. He started the season in AA and then was called up in May. He's been probably the best offensive threat on the team these first couple of weeks, while still playing out of position at second. They made similar chatter this year about Zach Walters, who was wearing #4 in the spring and got a September call-up last year.

cbarry
04-10-2014, 11:21 AM
I would expect Tyus to wear #1, a la Kyrie. I also fully expect Parker to enter the NBA Draft to allow this situation to occur, but that has been discussed ad nauseum on another thread.

DukieInKansas
04-10-2014, 05:57 PM
Nice work, but I was forced to make a correction. See bolded part below.

Based on this correction, I believe Rodney Hood should get a new number and the chart should be updated to: 5 - Technical Foul - out of commission (D. Ewing)

hurleyfor3
04-11-2014, 01:08 AM

You made Thomas Hill cry.

Duvall
04-18-2014, 12:38 PM

And that is exactly what has happened. (https://mobile.twitter.com/Tyusjones06/status/457194765470425088?p=v)