PDA

View Full Version : Ok, so what's the prob with Surgan?

ChrisP
09-08-2007, 07:42 PM
I was reading the account of the game on GoDuke.com and it had a link to Joe Surgan's bio. So...I checked it out and coming out of HS, he was ranked by Scout.com as the 4th best kicker in the nation and #1 in Florida. Now, last time I checked, FL had some pretty good talent coming out of there. Surgan also finished his prep career ranked 6th all time in the state of FL in both FGM and points. I realize HS rankings aren't all that and a bag o' chips (see Burgess, Chris) but something seems out of whack with reality here. So...what gives with his performance last year and thus far this season?

Also according to his player bio on GoDuke.com, he played in 9 games as a freshmen in 2005, making 15-16 PAT's and going 6-8 on FG's. Not bad stats at all. So...again...what gives with his performance since then? Did he suffer some terrible injury? Is it the snapper? Is it the line? Please, someone with more football knowledge than I explain this to me. My guess is that it's a combination of factors - loss of confidence on his part + poor blocking by the line (IIRC we had a significant number of kicks blocked last season).

Anyone out there with some inside scoop or knowledge as to what's been going on lately with the kicking game?