PDA

View Full Version : Rodney Hood Draft Vigil

SoCalDukeFan
04-07-2014, 11:43 PM
I know that everyone, including me, assumes he is gone.

I wonder if he is waiting to see who else comes out.

Will know the KY players soon enough.

SoCal

Bluedog
04-08-2014, 12:13 AM
I know that everyone, including me, assumes he is gone.

I wonder if he is waiting to see who else comes out.

Will know the KY players soon enough.

SoCal

I think he's waiting until after the Duke basketball banquet.

johnb
04-08-2014, 12:24 AM
I'm assuming Rodney's waiting for the banquet.

I also assume there is some small chance that he gets feedback that he'll slide to the back end of the 1st round and that he decides to return to have a really special senior year. He'd get a degree and be an all American candidate. Okay, it's unlikely, which is why we've been focusing on Jabari, but he's just as focused on academics as his teammate. With a power center and a great PG, he'd be well positioned to bump himself up into the top 10 with another year as a 20 ppg scorer.... and his return would fit in great with Amile, Marshall, and even Myles. While Jabari's decision is financially uncertain but probably tilted towards going pro now, it may not be quite so clear about Rodney.

Okay, he's probably gone, but he has quietly been one of my favorite players, and I'd love to watch him play for us for another year--especially if the decision works for him.

dukebb444
04-08-2014, 01:28 AM
I'm assuming Rodney's waiting for the banquet.

I also assume there is some small chance that he gets feedback that he'll slide to the back end of the 1st round and that he decides to return to have a really special senior year. He'd get a degree and be an all American candidate. Okay, it's unlikely, which is why we've been focusing on Jabari, but he's just as focused on academics as his teammate. With a power center and a great PG, he'd be well positioned to bump himself up into the top 10 with another year as a 20 ppg scorer.... and his return would fit in great with Amile, Marshall, and even Myles. While Jabari's decision is financially uncertain but probably tilted towards going pro now, it may not be quite so clear about Rodney.

Okay, he's probably gone, but he has quietly been one of my favorite players, and I'd love to watch him play for us for another year--especially if the decision works for him.

Wouldn't Rodney be a junior?

throatybeard
04-08-2014, 01:29 AM
I also assume there is some small chance that he gets feedback that he'll slide to the back end of the 1st round and that he decides to return to have a really special senior year. He'd get a degree and be an all American candidate.

My parents were asking me about this, and I don't claim to know anything. But that's basically the pitch I made. I think this is what frustrates me the most about the new world order, post-KG 1995 draft.

I can handle the fact that your Parkers pop straight off. Mello, Durant, OK, that makes sense.

I think what frustrates me the most is that the lure of the "late first round" (in which fifty or sixty guys every year think they're going to get one of ten or twelve spots in that late first round) causes everyone and their grandmoms to come out--often even when they aren't freshmen with "upside," whatever the heck that means. Hood is so close to a degree, because of the transfer credits from MSU and the transfer year out at Duke. I get why Mike Dunleavy left. But if you're an academic junior and the league thinks you're the 25th pick or something?

I'm not really even opining as to what Hood "should" do, and I wouldn't presume to. I just wish the idea of a talented player who isn't clearly going in the lottery coming back for an academic senior year were...more plausible.

pfrduke
04-08-2014, 01:36 AM
Wouldn't Rodney be a junior?

Eligibility wise, yes, but it would be his 4th year of college so he (likely) would be an academic senior.

Dev11
04-08-2014, 08:53 AM
Eligibility wise, yes, but it would be his 4th year of college so he (likely) would be an academic senior.

Given that he received some form of academic All-ACC recognition and presumably is in Durham during at least part of the summer, I would be surprised if he was not on track to graduate by next May at the latest.

Bluedog
04-08-2014, 09:47 AM
I think what frustrates me the most is that the lure of the "late first round" (in which fifty or sixty guys every year think they're going to get one of ten or twelve spots in that late first round) causes everyone and their grandmoms to come out--often even when they aren't freshmen with "upside," whatever the heck that means. Hood is so close to a degree, because of the transfer credits from MSU and the transfer year out at Duke. I get why Mike Dunleavy left. But if you're an academic junior and the league thinks you're the 25th pick or something?

I could see an argument as to why somebody being projected in the late first round should be motivated to leave more than somebody projected in the lottery. I know that may sound cuckoo, but here it is...Somebody in the late first round (although, you better be sure those "projections" are correct, which of course you never can be and your point above about 50-60 guys thinking that is spot on) is more likely to move a bit and fall to the second round the next year. First rounders get a guaranteed contract, while second rounders do not. So, if you want to secure a three-year contract (and be a millionaire), it's much safer to be selected in the first round and if you have major confidence that it's going to happen, you should seize the opportunity or you may risk falling the following year thereby being guaranteed absolutely nothing. Lottery picks rarely fall all the way to the second round in one year (although we've seen a few cases of that, McAdoo is close in his two-year "fall"). At least, that's the argument. Getting a first round guaranteed contract is huge and small differences in next year's draft could make somebody shift a few spots.

UrinalCake
04-08-2014, 09:47 AM
You could argue that having Rodney back would fill more of a position of need than having Jabari. Right now Winslow is the only 3 we have on the roster (or "big wing," if you don't like to use positional numbers) and having Rodney would prevent us from having to play Rasheed or Matt Jones at the 3.

OTOH I'm still very soured by his poor defense and rebounding, and I'm not sure Rasheed at the 3 would make us any worse defensively than Rodney. If we are fortunate to get him back, I sure hope he recognizes how important he is on both ends, and maybe having Winslow breathing down his neck will provide some motivation.

COYS
04-08-2014, 10:11 AM
You could argue that having Rodney back would fill more of a position of need than having Jabari. Right now Winslow is the only 3 we have on the roster (or "big wing," if you don't like to use positional numbers) and having Rodney would prevent us from having to play Rasheed or Matt Jones at the 3.

OTOH I'm still very soured by his poor defense and rebounding, and I'm not sure Rasheed at the 3 would make us any worse defensively than Rodney. If we are fortunate to get him back, I sure hope he recognizes how important he is on both ends, and maybe having Winslow breathing down his neck will provide some motivation.

Duke's defense this year was bad on all levels. I think it's hard to point to Rodney (who had a few strong defensive games, too) and say he was any worse than anyone else. Jabari's hedging was slow for much of the season, making ball screens almost impossible to defend for the guards. Our guards didn't stay in front of their men very well. We were slow to rotate and help when guys got past our guards. We fouled way too much. Perhaps worst of all, we never learned how to play defense without fouling when we got into foul trouble nor did we learn how to play defense while protecting a lead. I actually think this last part was the worst part of our defense. We consistently gave up leads because our defense became porous in the second half when were either trying not to foul because A) we were in foul trouble or B) because we had the lead and we didn't want to foul and therefore let people score way too easily.

Anyway, our team dynamic will be completely different next year. Who knows if the defense will be better? But it will be different. Maybe having Jahlil in the middle will help mop up penetration from guards. Maybe the whole team will just simply get better at playing Duke defense. Maybe the staff will come up with some small changes to the defensive scheme that make all the difference.

At any rate, if for some reason Rodney decides to come back, I would welcome him with open arms. I also anticipate that Duke's defense (Rodney included) will be much improved.

kAzE
04-08-2014, 10:38 AM

Don't forget about Semi Ojeleye, who I would consider a 3. He's a beast waiting to be unleashed, and I hope we get to see more of him next year. I do think Winslow will be the starter because of his all-around versatility, but Ojeleye might have a chance to be in the rotation next year. I think the key will be how much he improves defensively. We're going to be insanely deep next year, so playing time will be difficult for guys 8th and lower in the rotation. If Jabari returns, I think that unfortunately keeps Semi at the end of the bench.

On Hood: I certainly wouldn't mind if he decided to come back, but going pro seems to be the best option for him. He's projected as a borderline lottery pick because of his size and shooting ability. NBA teams LOVE big guards who can shoot, even if they aren't elite defensively, which makes Hood a pretty good bet to stick around the league for a good long while. I don't expect him to return to Duke, and I honestly don't see how much more he could help himself by returning in terms of his NBA earning potential, which seems to be important for him. He's an intelligent young man, and I wish him continued success wherever he goes.

MCFinARL
04-08-2014, 10:44 AM
Any chance Rodney is simply waiting until he has chosen an agent, so that the agent will be ready to help him interest teams in drafting him?

kAzE
04-08-2014, 10:49 AM
Duke's defense this year was bad on all levels. I think it's hard to point to Rodney (who had a few strong defensive games, too) and say he was any worse than anyone else. Jabari's hedging was slow for much of the season, making ball screens almost impossible to defend for the guards. Our guards didn't stay in front of their men very well. We were slow to rotate and help when guys got past our guards. We fouled way too much. Perhaps worst of all, we never learned how to play defense without fouling when we got into foul trouble nor did we learn how to play defense while protecting a lead. I actually think this last part was the worst part of our defense. We consistently gave up leads because our defense became porous in the second half when were either trying not to foul because A) we were in foul trouble or B) because we had the lead and we didn't want to foul and therefore let people score way too easily.

Anyway, our team dynamic will be completely different next year. Who knows if the defense will be better? But it will be different. Maybe having Jahlil in the middle will help mop up penetration from guards. Maybe the whole team will just simply get better at playing Duke defense. Maybe the staff will come up with some small changes to the defensive scheme that make all the difference.

At any rate, if for some reason Rodney decides to come back, I would welcome him with open arms. I also anticipate that Duke's defense (Rodney included) will be much improved.

Having a giant body in the paint should solve a few of these problems. Okafor, by most accounts isn't necessarily an elite defensive presence, but guys are going to think twice about going hard at the rim when there's a chance they could collide with a guy who weighs 270 pounds. Also, with the addition of Winslow, who is a Swiss Army Knife on defense, we have another guy who can cause problems for opponents all over the floor. Our defense will definitely be better.

Whether or not Jabari comes back, I think we could see him develop into a much improved player on defense, particularly if he can manage to shed a few pounds and improve his lateral quickness. I think he has the length and motor to be a really good defensive player, he's just carrying too much weight. No more Jabari bars!

johnb
04-08-2014, 11:01 AM
A quick look online found Rodney being rated between 11 and 25 in the upcoming draft, and I'm not sure that includes all of the possible early entries. It becomes conceivable, then, that he could slide into the 2nd round, or that he could go around 10. If I were RH, i'd be trying to use my Duke connections to find out an inside scoop.

And one possibility is that he'd be more highly drafted with a year as a primary scoring threat without the presence of Parker, who plays a different version of the same position (SF). And by then he'd be a two-time captain, etc....

toooskies
04-08-2014, 11:18 AM
A quick look online found Rodney being rated between 11 and 25 in the upcoming draft, and I'm not sure that includes all of the possible early entries. It becomes conceivable, then, that he could slide into the 2nd round, or that he could go around 10. If I were RH, i'd be trying to use my Duke connections to find out an inside scoop.

And one possibility is that he'd be more highly drafted with a year as a primary scoring threat without the presence of Parker, who plays a different version of the same position (SF). And by then he'd be a two-time captain, etc....

I don't think he's going to get a big scoring jump, given that we're again loading up with more freshman talent. He might be the leading scorer on the team if he comes back, but I don't see him gaining more than 3-4 ppg.

kAzE
04-08-2014, 11:22 AM
Yeah, unless Jabari returns, Jahlil Okafor will be the leading scorer on next year's team. Coach K pretty much gave it away to everyone that he's designing our offense around Okafor, which is an easy call to make. That kid can flat out score in the low post.

Kfanarmy
04-08-2014, 11:35 AM
Yeah, unless Jabari returns, Jahlil Okafor will be the leading scorer on next year's team. Coach K pretty much gave it away to everyone that he's designing our offense around Okafor, which is an easy call to make. That kid can flat out score in the low post. I can already here the complaining about the lack of three-point shooting...It will be interesting though to see the team try to get a big involved beyond setting screens and rebounding.

Dukehky
04-08-2014, 11:40 AM
Rodney may only be listed as a rising junior, but he's 22 years old. That's ancient in NBA GM's minds, if he came back and had the exact same type of season that he just had, which I think is likely with the other mouths that need to get fed on offense, his draft stock would drop. He would have to absolutely explode and prove that he can be strong with the ball especially in his right hand and play substantially better defense, on top of scoring 10 more points a game to have his draft stock improve.

I assume he is close to graduating, a few more double summer sessions, 2 maybe, and with that in mind, there is very little reason that he should come back unless winning a national title at Duke is the most important thing in the world to him. Unlike Jabari, his draft stock is unlikely to stay the same or improve.

superdave
04-08-2014, 11:44 AM
Rodney may only be listed as a rising junior, but he's 22 years old. That's ancient in NBA GM's minds, if he came back and had the exact same type of season that he just had, which I think is likely with the other mouths that need to get fed on offense, his draft stock would drop. He would have to absolutely explode and prove that he can be strong with the ball especially in his right hand and play substantially better defense, on top of scoring 10 more points a game to have his draft stock improve.

I assume he is close to graduating, a few more double summer sessions, 2 maybe, and with that in mind, there is very little reason that he should come back unless winning a national title at Duke is the most important thing in the world to him. Unlike Jabari, his draft stock is unlikely to stay the same or improve.

Rodney's birthday is 10/20/1992. So he will turn 22 at the start of this next season.

tommy
04-08-2014, 11:52 AM
I can already here the complaining about the lack of three-point shooting...It will be interesting though to see the team try to get a big involved beyond setting screens and rebounding.

I know. If only Coach K had ever shown the ability and willingness to do that when he has a skilled post player. Like, last year or something. Maybe Mason Plumlee could've scored more than the 17 ppg he did.

kAzE
04-08-2014, 12:10 PM
I know. If only Coach K had ever shown the ability and willingness to do that when he has a skilled post player. Like, last year or something. Maybe Mason Plumlee could've scored more than the 17 ppg he did.

Yeah, and Mason scored 17 ppg despite never even really developing a go to move or really ANY counters. Okafor's got the moves and the footwork of a much more experienced post player, and he's not the type of guy who has delusions about developing a perimeter game. (Remember Mason shooting 3s his freshman year?) He's a throwback bruiser who loves punishing defenders down on the low block. We haven't had a guy like him since probably Elton Brand. Shelden was good, but he was more of a defensive player, and not as good a scorer. I can't wait to see Okafor in Duke blue.

wavedukefan70s
04-08-2014, 01:16 PM
Yeah, and Mason scored 17 ppg despite never even really developing a go to move or really ANY counters. Okafor's got the moves and the footwork of a much more experienced post player, and he's not the type of guy who has delusions about developing a perimeter game. (Remember Mason shooting 3s his freshman year?) He's a throwback bruiser who loves punishing defenders down on the low block. We haven't had a guy like him since probably Elton Brand. Shelden was good, but he was more of a defensive player, and not as good a scorer. I can't wait to see Okafor in Duke blue.

Boozer averaged 18.2 and8.7 with less blocks and steals than mason in thier sr.years. Okafor could be close to that good from the start.

the_grad_student
04-08-2014, 01:19 PM

And when is the Duke basketball banquet?

Chicken Little
04-08-2014, 01:25 PM
And when is the Duke basketball banquet?

04/16/2014
Wednesday

7:30 PM

I guess we can resume holding our collective breath then.

CameronBornAndBred
04-08-2014, 04:14 PM
Why would he? There's no recent history to say a guy will wait for the banquet.
Here our three latest declarations, including the 2 OADs.
Kyrie declared April 7th
Austin declared March 27th
Mason declared he was staying April 10th

CDu
04-08-2014, 04:32 PM
Kyrie declared April 7th

Yeah, I had the same question. It seems like every year folks trot out this rationale for why players haven't declared (or not) yet, and nearly every year the announcement is made prior to the banquet. Not saying that this year we'll know prior to the banquet, but (as you've pointed out) the banquet isn't in any way an indicator for when we might hear an announcement.

Bluedog
04-08-2014, 05:02 PM
Kyrie declared April 7th

Yeah, I had the same question. It seems like every year folks trot out this rationale for why players haven't declared (or not) yet, and nearly every year the announcement is made prior to the banquet. Not saying that this year we'll know prior to the banquet, but (as you've pointed out) the banquet isn't in any way an indicator for when we might hear an announcement.

Fair enough. I may be regurgitating untrue information. I claim no inside knowledge. But I've heard the rationale that sometimes players don't want to "take away" from other stuff going on in the banquet (like the seniors farewell; although I don't necessarily see why declaring earlier would do that).

CameronBornAndBred
04-08-2014, 05:08 PM
Fair enough. I may be regurgitating untrue information. I claim no inside knowledge. But I've heard the rationale that sometimes players don't want to "take away" from other stuff going on in the banquet (like the seniors farewell; although I don't necessarily see why declaring earlier would do that).
I think it goes along with the same rationale of a player not declaring during the tournament "due to respect for the game", which I don't buy. Apparently Austin Rivers didn't buy it either. According to the three players I listed, both Rodney and Jabari are now pushing the boundary. Hop to it guys, and tell us your plans; you have almost exceeded the common deadline!:rolleyes:

CarmenWallaceWade
04-08-2014, 05:09 PM
Some interesting tweets from Laura Keeley this afternoon:

Laura Keeley ‏@laurakeeley 59m
"Hmm. So, Rodney Hood is listed at No. 22 on @chadfordinsider's latest big board. That's down from 12 in the last board, posted Feb. 11."

"Hood's got a real decision to make. His age (22 on Oct. 20) is doing no favors for his "upside""

I don't know anything about Chad Ford's draft board or how seriously folks take it, but everything else I've heard or read until this point had him in the top 15.

Bluedog
04-08-2014, 05:16 PM
Have people seen this scouting report on Rodney? It's long, but I found it interesting. DraftExpress puts them out for a lot of prospects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhT1bxOAB0M
Strengths: Size for Position, Shooting Stroke, Feel for the Game, Improved Slasher
Weaknesses: Defense, Strength/Toughness, Creating Offense

superdave
04-08-2014, 05:41 PM
Some interesting tweets from Laura Keeley this afternoon:

"Hmm. So, Rodney Hood is listed at No. 22 on @chadfordinsider's latest big board. That's down from 12 in the last board, posted Feb. 11."

"Hood's got a real decision to make. His age (22 on Oct. 20) is doing no favors for his "upside""

I don't know anything about Chad Ford's draft board or how seriously folks take it, but everything else I've heard or read until this point had him in the top 15.

I like Chad Ford because he generally regurgitates the consensus feedback he gets from speaking to GM's directly. Those GM's are incentivized to want more prospects draft eligible, so there is that.

Hood really should go. His age is a factor, but he's already got the 3-point stroke that will keep him in the league for a while. That's a super-duper premium skill in the league these days. He can improve on the defensive end just as well in the NBA as he can in college, if not significantly better.

flyingdutchdevil
04-08-2014, 05:47 PM
Have people seen this scouting report on Rodney? It's long, but I found it interesting. DraftExpress puts them out for a lot of prospects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhT1bxOAB0M
Strengths: Size for Position, Shooting Stroke, Feel for the Game, Improved Slasher
Weaknesses: Defense, Strength/Toughness, Creating Offense

Strengths and weaknesses are very fair. His size and shot are highly coveted skills, especially for an SG.

As for weaknesses, it's the defense that would scare me away if I'm a GM. Hood is not good at D, and this is after 3 years in college basketball programs. I'm not giving Jabari a free ride on D, but I understand that many of his defensive issues were based on inexperience with the college game. For Hood, it's not a good sign when you can't guard your man effectively and your approaching 22 years in age.

Kedsy
04-08-2014, 06:07 PM
For Hood, it's not a good sign when you can't guard your man effectively and your approaching 22 years in age.

I didn't think Rodney was so awful on one-on-one defense (i.e., "guard[ing] your man effectively"). To me at least, his defensive weaknesses seemed to be losing his man (off-ball), which is a concentration issue, and not rotating/helping properly in a complicated defense that I don't think is played very often in the NBA. So I'm not sure his D would scare me off if I were an NBA GM.

flyingdutchdevil
04-08-2014, 06:15 PM
I didn't think Rodney was so awful on one-on-one defense (i.e., "guard[ing] your man effectively"). To me at least, his defensive weaknesses seemed to be losing his man (off-ball), which is a concentration issue, and not rotating/helping properly in a complicated defense that I don't think is played very often in the NBA. So I'm not sure his D would scare me off if I were an NBA GM.

I disagree. Rodney's issues were a lot more than just losing his man. Rodney had a few good defensive outings, like his play on Pitt's Patterson, but more often than not I saw Hood play poor man-to-man. This especially got worse towards the end of the season.

Also, if you're having concentration issues on defense at 21 years of age, that's not a good sign.

Lastly, NBA defenses are becoming a lot more complex and rotating/helping properly is of huge importance. The pick-and-roll is especially difficult to master. As a GM, I'd like to have a player who is focused and can at least keep his man in check. I'm not expecting my best shooter (likely Hood) to be a stopper, but I'd at least like him keep offenses honest. I didn't see that last year.

pfrduke
04-08-2014, 06:15 PM

NBA rotations and helping require quick decision making and precise action. I don't think it's an overstatement to say that every offensive set other than an isolation is designed to force the defense to rotate and exploit areas where that rotation isn't executed seamlessly. Playing strong off-ball defense is probably more important to team defensive success than playing strong on-ball defense. His propensity to get lost in rotations would absolutely concern me if I were an NBA GM (if only).

Kedsy
04-08-2014, 06:21 PM
I disagree. Rodney's issues were a lot more than just losing his man. Rodney had a few good defensive outings, like his play on Pitt's Patterson, but more often than not I saw Hood play poor man-to-man. This especially got worse towards the end of the season.

Also, if you're having concentration issues on defense at 21 years of age, that's not a good sign.

Lastly, NBA defenses are becoming a lot more complex and rotating/helping properly is of huge importance. The pick-and-roll is especially difficult to master. As a GM, I'd like to have a player who is focused and can at least keep his man in check. I'm not expecting my best shooter (likely Hood) to be a stopper, but I'd at least like him keep offenses honest. I didn't see that last year.

Have you seen Kyle Korver play? I'd think Rodney would be better than that, and Korver's been around awhile, though granted he was a second round pick.

flyingdutchdevil
04-08-2014, 06:28 PM
Have you seen Kyle Korver play? I'd think Rodney would be better than that, and Korver's been around awhile, though granted he was a second round pick.

Kyle Korver is arguably the best 3pt specialist in the NBA. He is shooting 48% from the 3 this year. 48%! Do you think Kyle would be in the league if he shot under 40%, which is probably what Hood is going to shoot (Hood shot 42% from the college 3 this year)?

Rodney Hood will not be that good at 3pt. Hood is a more versatile offensive player, with a nice mid-range and the ability to drive from time to time.

Look, I'm not saying Hood will not succeed in the NBA or be a first round pick. I believe he will be both. What I'm saying is that if I'm an NBA GM and I'm picking in the late lottery / early first round, I may want to go with a better defender like Zach Lavine. Sure, the shooting isn't as good, but he's arguably a more balanced player.

Kedsy
04-08-2014, 06:33 PM
Kyle Korver is arguably the best 3pt specialist in the NBA. He is shooting 48% from the 3 this year. 48%! Do you think Kyle would be in the league if he shot under 40%, which is probably what Hood is going to shoot (Hood shot 42% from the college 3 this year)?

Rodney Hood will not be that good at 3pt. Hood is a more versatile offensive player, with a nice mid-range and the ability to drive from time to time.

Look, I'm not saying Hood will not succeed in the NBA or be a first round pick. I believe he will be both. What I'm saying is that if I'm an NBA GM and I'm picking in the late lottery / early first round, I may want to go with a better defender like Zach Lavine. Sure, the shooting isn't as good, but he's arguably a more balanced player.

You could be right. I guess actually Andre would be a better analogue for Kyle Korver.

Duvall
04-08-2014, 06:42 PM
Kyle Korver is arguably the best 3pt specialist in the NBA. He is shooting 48% from the 3 this year. 48%! Do you think Kyle would be in the league if he shot under 40%, which is probably what Hood is going to shoot (Hood shot 42% from the college 3 this year).

To be fair, as a college junior Korver shot 43% from a shorter college 3. (http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/kyle-korver-1.html) Players do develop.

Troublemaker
04-08-2014, 06:46 PM
Look, I'm not saying Hood will not succeed in the NBA or be a first round pick. I believe he will be both. What I'm saying is that if I'm an NBA GM and I'm picking in the late lottery / early first round, I may want to go with a better defender. Sure, the shooting isn't as good, but he's arguably a more balanced player.

I agree with this, with an additional comment that if I'm instead an NBA GM picking 15 to 30, I would be very happy to select Rodney. At those draft spots, when you try to draft a "balanced player," what you often end up doing instead is pleasing neither your shooting requirement NOR your defensive requirement. Drafting a multi-talented player is mostly for the GMs picking in the lottery. If I'm a GM picking 15 to 30, I'm mostly just looking to draft a guy with ONE sure-fire skill that will be valuable to an NBA rotation. Rodney fits in that draft range to me as a 6'8" guy who can shoot really well and even displays some postup skills when a smaller defender is on him. I'll take that. He's a guy who can be a 7th, 8th, 9th man in my rotation and be instant offense off my bench.

flyingdutchdevil
04-08-2014, 06:48 PM
To be fair, as a college junior Korver shot 43% from a shorter college 3. (http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/kyle-korver-1.html) Players do develop.

Agreed, and I'm sure it's the one skill that Kyle wanted to master given his athletic deficiencies.

Hood is a more versatile player who will have to work on his 3pt, mid-range, off-the-dribble shot, fade-away, layups, dunks, etc. etc. etc.

As a GM, I wouldn't want Hood to solely be coming off screens / standing around in a corner. Rather, I think Hood is more effective with the ball in his hands.

gofurman
04-08-2014, 10:22 PM

K pretty much said Hood is gone.. "I wish I could coach him another year" or something like that - also indicating he really enjoyed having and coaching Hood on the team. Seems to have been a great transfer ! Just a shame we had two studs who either didn't play hard D or quite 'get' rotation D - Parker and Hood - at the same time... and that w no shot blocker or Landlord in the paint is just a recipe for disaster.. hints of which we saw vs Vermont

Henderson
04-12-2014, 09:31 AM
I'm assuming neither Hood nor Parker is returning, even in the face of some evidence to the contrary regarding Jabari. It's my psychological hedge.

Edouble
04-12-2014, 06:15 PM
I'm assuming neither Hood nor Parker is returning, even in the face of some evidence to the contrary regarding Jabari. It's my psychological hedge.

Everyone would be wise to follow your lead.

Saratoga2
04-12-2014, 09:43 PM
I thought the announcer said Rodney is definitly lost to the draft while Jabari is still undecided.

_Gary
04-12-2014, 09:47 PM
I thought the announcer said Rodney is definitly lost to the draft while Jabari is still undecided.

He did say that.

FerryFor50
04-12-2014, 09:55 PM
He did say that.

While he's probably not incorrect, I seriously doubt he has any insider info that Hood is gone. Kind of irresponsible to say on a national broadcast and state as fact.

Jarhead
04-12-2014, 11:03 PM
While he's probably not incorrect, I seriously doubt he has any insider info that Hood is gone. Kind of irresponsible to say on a national broadcast and state as fact.

That's just the way it works. Just be bold, and state your prediction as if it were a fact, and then take the credit for getting it right. People will forget if you're wrong, but if you are right you can politely remind them of that. That's the way it is in sports, politics, meteorology, business, and maybe even in the operating room. Uh, no, I hope not in the operating.

BlueTeuf
04-13-2014, 08:03 AM
To quote my brother when predicting the gender of their first child: "Always predict your little angel will be a girl. That way, if it's a girl, you get to be right - and if it's a boy, you get what you wanted."

I think the real wisdom is to not get overinvested in what you cannot control.

freshmanjs
04-13-2014, 08:05 AM
To quote my brother when predicting the gender of their first child: "Always predict your little angel will be a girl. That way, if it's a girl, you get to be right - and if it's a boy, you get what you wanted."

is the implication that it is somehow preferable to have a boy child ??!??

BlueTeuf
04-13-2014, 08:15 AM
is the implication that it is somehow preferable to have a boy child ??!??

Of course. Which is appropriate for a self deprecating joke.

sagegrouse
04-13-2014, 08:21 AM

Your brother must never have had a daughter.

I have two daughters and two stepdaughters, which has given me not only pleasure but a lot of opportunities for, ahem, "self-improvement." As in, "Da-a-a-a-a-d-d!!!! That's disgusting!!!"

freshmanjs
04-13-2014, 08:24 AM
Of course. Which is appropriate for a self deprecating joke.

it's not *self* deprecating.

BlueTeuf
04-13-2014, 12:15 PM

You're wrong, but thanks for the ruling, Judge.

You folks make me laugh.

Henderson
04-13-2014, 01:54 PM
You're wrong, but thanks for the ruling, Judge.

You folks make me laugh.

Well, having established yourself as one with an odd theory of humor, I'm not sure if that's sarcasm, a compliment, or an insult. It might be self-deprecating, depending on who all counts as a "folk" around here. But I get your original point: a psychological hedge can be useful.

It might be. I was at a party once and a guy told a story about how you can be your own brother. Something about marrying your sister's stepdaughter and then having a child who marries your great aunt. Something like that. I was distracted by the cleavage of the woman standing next to me.*

Anyway, I hope Rodney Hood makes a ton of money in the NBA and is blessed with daughters -- and a son -- as terrific as mine.

*Isn't it great to have a wife with nice cleavage?

UrinalCake
04-14-2014, 12:05 PM
Aaaaaanyways... I'm starting to believe that Hood may come back. I think all season he's been leaning towards going, as he's been projected as a lottery pick. But lately he's fallen off while other guys have climbed. His weakness were exposed more fully over our last few games, and he's now a projected late first-rounder, which is very different then going in the lottery. He still may go, but I think he's still thinking about it.

fuse
04-14-2014, 12:10 PM
What might make these threads more interesting is if you had to put $1 in an escrow account for every speculation to one direction or the other. Those on the "winning" side split the pot. I guess that would almost be a fan version of the 24/7 crystal ball predictor.

Henderson
04-14-2014, 12:20 PM
Aaaaaanyways... I'm starting to believe that Hood may come back. I think all season he's been leaning towards going, as he's been projected as a lottery pick. But lately he's fallen off while other guys have climbed. His weakness were exposed more fully over our last few games, and he's now a projected late first-rounder, which is very different then going in the lottery. He still may go, but I think he's still thinking about it.

Oh great. Now I'm going to be fantasizing about a dream banquet, with both of them announcing their return for next season. Not healthy. Not healthy at all.

Unless...

No, stop. Just stop. Think about baseball scores.

Henderson
04-14-2014, 12:27 PM
Do you think Obi would pay his own way for a year to allow Myles Turner to come on board as well?

Troublemaker.

Troublemaker
04-14-2014, 12:27 PM
Oh great. Now I'm going to be fantasizing about a dream banquet, with both of them announcing their return for next season. Not healthy. Not healthy at all.

Unless...

No, stop. Just stop. Think about baseball scores.

Do you think Obi would pay his own way for a year to allow Myles Turner to come on board as well?

gumbomoop
04-14-2014, 02:23 PM
Short timeout for a mini-mystery and unmasking.

Look carefully at posts #59-60, just above. It appears that Henderson has unwittingly exposed himself as a Flash Boy [a la the "fractions-of-milliseconds-speed-traders], for he responded to Troublemaker's post [presumably a fraction of a millisecond] before Troublemaker posted. Still, still, you'd a thought it would take more than a fraction of a millisecond for H to read T's post and then type even a single-word in response.

Ah, wait. Perhaps the answer lies in H's heretofore little-noticed but surely now-intriguing signature, which suggests that H passed over to the Great Beyond more than a year ago.

Talk about troublemaking.

BTW, Henderson has yet to vote in the prediction poll, so whatever advanced info H possesses from his perch out there, beyond, he's not yet revealed anything. Personally, I'm gonna be checking regularly.

Henderson
04-14-2014, 04:45 PM
Short timeout for a mini-mystery and unmasking.

Look carefully at posts #59-60, just above. It appears that Henderson has unwittingly exposed himself as a Flash Boy [a la the "fractions-of-milliseconds-speed-traders], for he responded to Troublemaker's post [presumably a fraction of a millisecond] before Troublemaker posted. Still, still, you'd a thought it would take more than a fraction of a millisecond for H to read T's post and then type even a single-word in response.

Ah, wait. Perhaps the answer lies in H's heretofore little-noticed but surely now-intriguing signature, which suggests that H passed over to the Great Beyond more than a year ago.

Talk about troublemaking.

BTW, Henderson has yet to vote in the prediction poll, so whatever advanced info H possesses from his perch out there, beyond, he's not yet revealed anything. Personally, I'm gonna be checking regularly.

It's not my fault I type faster than troublemaker thinks.

And I'm not touching that poll. I'd either jinx something or get depressed.

mr. synellinden
04-14-2014, 06:05 PM

NBAdraft.net has him projected at #11 (http://nbadraft.net/2014mock_draft).

Doesn't mean he's not thinking about it, but he's still being projected as a lottery pick.

CameronBornAndBred
04-14-2014, 07:06 PM
NBAdraft.net has him projected at #11 (http://nbadraft.net/2014mock_draft).

Doesn't mean he's not thinking about it, but he's still being projected as a lottery pick.
Rodney is more NBA ready than Jabari, in my opinion. If both go, Rodney will have seen more PT by the end of the season. His age is a factor too, due to his transfer status. But he is also a player that really could improve his draft position by next year, I think. Jabari, a projected top 3 pick, can't. The difference is literally millions of dollars, but it is also a risk. Even Okafor would be expected to go before Hood next year, and he is but one of how many expected one and dones? It is the tragedy of the NBA spending money on potential over actual talent. Rodney proven he has the talent, has been consistent every game, and my guess is if he comes back would move up to the top tier next year. But he won't knock off the guys that have barely played a season. So is it worth coming back to move into the top 7ish slots, vs going now and going anywhere from 11th to somewhere late in the first, maybe even in the early second? Right now, the draft seems a total crap shoot for him, another year would cement his status as elite. But I'm not sure it would be worth the risk. (I would love to see him stay and find out though.) (And it would be very interesting to see how K would handle that roster...but we'll leave that until he stays.)
I think he should go, and I look forward to watching his stats in a long career.

fuse
04-14-2014, 07:29 PM
Rodney is more NBA ready than Jabari, in my opinion. If both go, Rodney will have seen more PT by the end of the season. His age is a factor too, due to his transfer status. But he is also a player that really could improve his draft position by next year, I think. Jabari, a projected top 3 pick, can't. The difference is literally millions of dollars, but it is also a risk. Even Okafor would be expected to go before Hood next year, and he is but one of how many expected one and dones? It is the tragedy of the NBA spending money on potential over actual talent. Rodney proven he has the talent, has been consistent every game, and my guess is if he comes back would move up to the top tier next year. But he won't knock off the guys that have barely played a season. So is it worth coming back to move into the top 7ish slots, vs going now and going anywhere from 11th to somewhere late in the first, maybe even in the early second? Right now, the draft seems a total crap shoot for him, another year would cement his status as elite. But I'm not sure it would be worth the risk. (I would love to see him stay and find out though.) (And it would be very interesting to see how K would handle that roster...but we'll leave that until he stays.)
I think he should go, and I look forward to watching his stats in a long career.

I agree with much of this. What is interesting to me is how under appreciated Rodney may be. Four pages of speculation compared to thirty-one. There were plenty of games where if Rodney was not the best player on the floor, he was the most consistent throughout the season. I'm not sure how much of that will translate to the NBA, but I certainly wish Rodney nothing but success when that time comes.

CDu
04-14-2014, 07:37 PM
I agree with much of this. What is interesting to me is how under appreciated Rodney may be. Four pages of speculation compared to thirty-one. There were plenty of games where if Rodney was not the best player on the floor, he was the most consistent throughout the season. I'm not sure how much of that will translate to the NBA, but I certainly wish Rodney nothing but success when that time comes.

I think the page differential has little to do with appreciation or lack thereof. I think it is more a function of there simply being less chatter about the possibility of Hood returning. No NBA execs saying he is leaning towards coming back, for example.

Troublemaker
04-14-2014, 08:00 PM
I think the page differential has little to do with appreciation or lack thereof. I think it is more a function of there simply being less chatter about the possibility of Hood returning. No NBA execs saying he is leaning towards coming back, for example.

Yes... additionally, numerous quotes from Jabari over the past couple of years suggesting that he could be more than 1-and-done, a quote from Coach K in one of his pressers seemingly conceding that Rodney was gone, Rodney being older than Jabari and much closer to graduation, etc... I agree the difference in page count has little to do with a lack of appreciation of Rodney's talents.

johnb
04-15-2014, 11:12 AM
Leaving aside the facts that he was academic all conference and, from all reports, a terrific guy, staying might make financial sense.

I've seen at least two straw polls in which Rodney has slid to about 25th.

From the website, below, that would put him at just under $1 million/year as a rookie. Not chump change. If he stays another year, improves minimally, and watches this unusually deep class disappear into the NBA, I think he'd go in the top dozen in 2015 and get paid double. Obviously, he could get injured or lose minutes or play badly and not even get drafted, but he seems particularly unlikely to suddenly become a marginal player--after all, he was our most consistent player all year. And if he is somehow playing alongside Jahlil AND Jabari, Rodney would spend the season wide open from about 15-18 feet and score 20 ppt without breaking a sweat (or he could practice racking up the assists). With a stronger inside presence (and playing alongside the athletically dominating Winslow), he could also demonstrate that he can play defense, which would lock him into the lottery with its resultant $2 million paycheck.

http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/info/rookie_scale

mattman91
04-15-2014, 11:27 AM
Adam Zagoria is reporting that Rodney is entering the draft. I'm sure I'm not the only one here who wishes nothing but the best for him. He is an exceptional player, and appears to be a really nice dude. Thank you Rodney!

mattman91
04-15-2014, 11:32 AM
Adam Zagoria is reporting that Rodney is entering the draft. I'm sure I'm not the only one here who wishes nothing but the best for him. He is an exceptional player, and appears to be a really nice dude. Thank you Rodney!

Linky

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1997386-rodney-hood-reportedly-will-enter-2014-nba-draft

FerryFor50
04-15-2014, 11:39 AM
Linky

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1997386-rodney-hood-reportedly-will-enter-2014-nba-draft

While likely accurate, this does not mean Hood has declared. This is no different than previous reports that Hood was leaving or that TJ Warren had declared.

Why can't these guys let the kids announce the decision rather than stealing their thunder?

CameronBornAndBred
04-15-2014, 11:58 AM
To put this into perspective a bit, Zagoria said the same thing back on March 25th, although in the same tweet he also shipped Montzel Harrell off to the NBA, saying he also was declaring. We all know how that has turned out.

http://fansided.com/2014/03/25/nba-draft-2014-rodney-hood-montrezl-harrell-declare/#!EbNL4

(p.s., if he is right, it is no shock, and best wishes to Rodney.)

cato
04-15-2014, 12:07 PM
Leaving aside the facts that he was academic all conference and, from all reports, a terrific guy, staying might make financial sense.

I've seen at least two straw polls in which Rodney has slid to about 25th.

From the website, below, that would put him at just under $1 million/year as a rookie. Not chump change. If he stays another year, improves minimally, and watches this unusually deep class disappear into the NBA, I think he'd go in the top dozen in 2015 and get paid double. Obviously, he could get injured or lose minutes or play badly and not even get drafted, but he seems particularly unlikely to suddenly become a marginal player--after all, he was our most consistent player all year. And if he is somehow playing alongside Jahlil AND Jabari, Rodney would spend the season wide open from about 15-18 feet and score 20 ppt without breaking a sweat (or he could practice racking up the assists). With a stronger inside presence (and playing alongside the athletically dominating Winslow), he could also demonstrate that he can play defense, which would lock him into the lottery with its resultant $2 million paycheck.

http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/info/rookie_scale

It is unlikely he would be able to overcome the loss of a year of significant earnings, unless he either (a) improves his draft position considerably, or (b) improves his game so much that he will end up making more money on a second contract.

I have no idea how likely it is that either of those two things would happen, but I bet the Duke coaching staff is in as good a position as anyone to give Rodney advice. That said, given the inherent uncertainty of either the draft or long-term success at the next level, the wisest financial decision would probably be to wrap up college and enter the work force.

cato
04-15-2014, 12:09 PM
Why can't these guys let the kids announce the decision rather than stealing their thunder?

Because stolen thunder pays well?

Dukehky
04-15-2014, 10:09 PM
What is there to talk about if you're going to bash anybody who comes with any information regarding the decisions. IMO this is all moot because I think they were both at least 90% gone after the clock hit 0's against Mercer. And to add to this glory, Chad Ford is reporting that Turner is down to KU, Texas, and SMU. I hope our freshman class is as good as I think they are...

johnb
04-16-2014, 10:32 AM
What is there to talk about if you're going to bash anybody who comes with any information regarding the decisions. IMO this is all moot because I think they were both at least 90% gone after the clock hit 0's against Mercer. And to add to this glory, Chad Ford is reporting that Turner is down to KU, Texas, and SMU. I hope our freshman class is as good as I think they are...

They were both 90% gone during preseason practice, and I have yet to see anything that makes me change that perspective. The closest would be Coach K's comments about only getting to coach them one year, but that's similar to his comment that recruiting was done after the fall signings--when there was still clear efforts being made with Myles Turner. I don't view this as deceit but rather a perspective that we play with them what brung us, and if someone surprises by coming or staying, all the better...

MaxAMillion
04-16-2014, 10:48 AM
They were both 90% gone during preseason practice, and I have yet to see anything that makes me change that perspective. The closest would be Coach K's comments about only getting to coach them one year, but that's similar to his comment that recruiting was done after the fall signings--when there was still clear efforts being made with Myles Turner. I don't view this as deceit but rather a perspective that we play with them what brung us, and if someone surprises by coming or staying, all the better...

I believe Coach K made comments specifically about wishing he could coach Hood more than one year. I don't think he made the same comments about Parker.

MCFinARL
04-16-2014, 12:01 PM
I believe Coach K made comments specifically about wishing he could coach Hood more than one year. I don't think he made the same comments about Parker.

Yes--and in the same press conference, he actually made a reference to the fact that recruiting was still going on, not done for the 2014 class.

G man
04-17-2014, 03:09 PM
Any news on our main man Hood. Any news on a time table?

Billy Dat
04-17-2014, 03:21 PM
Any news on our main man Hood. Any news on a time table?

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 10m
Yahoo Sources: Duke's Rodney Hood will enter the NBA Draft, close to signing with an agent. http://yhoo.it/1jO7xvs
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/duke-s-...184848759.html

CameronBornAndBred
04-17-2014, 03:24 PM
Best of luck to you Rodney. He may have only been on the court for one year, but I do not view him as an OAD, he was a captain after all. That speaks volumes to his contributions during his year sitting out.

http://tracking.si.com/2014/04/17/duke-rodney-hood-entering-nba-draft/

Cameron
04-17-2014, 08:38 PM
The smoothest shooting southpaw in college basketball since Salim Stoudamire at Arizona and arguably the best small forward offensively at Duke since Michael Dunleavy. Though a case could certainly be made for Kyle Singler.

Glad he was here for a year than never at all.

jimsumner
04-17-2014, 08:49 PM
The smoothest shooting southpaw in college basketball since Salim Stoudamire at Arizona and arguably the best small forward offensively at Duke since Michael Dunleavy. Though a case could certainly be made for Kyle Singler.

Glad he was here for a year than never at all.

No offense to Hood, but I'll take 2010 and 2011 Singler any day.

Cameron
04-17-2014, 08:58 PM
No offense to Hood, but I'll take 2010 and 2011 Singler any day.

Since I said offensively and not shooter, I'd concur. As a pure outside jump shooter, though, I'd probably take Rodney. But there's no question that Kyle possessed the better overall package and repeatedly demonstrated those abilities on the game's biggest stages, which certainly makes it hard to pick against him.

gurufrisbee
04-17-2014, 11:02 PM
Hood now has a pretty amazing opportunity at Duke. I still expect him gone, but with Jabari leaving, look at the opening for him:

* Only returning captain
* Clearly the best player coming back
* Could start with Okafor, Amile, Sheed, Cook or Jones on what would very likely be the most talented starting five in the country
* Chances at individual honors he never really got a chance at last year - 1st team all ACC, team MVP, All American
* Chances at team success they never got last year in his only year playing for Duke - league title, conference tournament title, sweet sixteen, final four, who knows?
* Gets to be the HERO of the Duke world for coming back after Jabari left
* might actually be in a better spot with the draft if he goes next year than this year (in terms of being drafted higher).

I still think he is gone, but unlike Jabari he was never a projected one and done and with Parker's decision made, the opening for Hood if he comes back could be argued is nearly as good of one as you could ever hope for.

Cameron
04-17-2014, 11:22 PM
Hood now has a pretty amazing opportunity at Duke. I still expect him gone, but with Jabari leaving, look at the opening for him:

* Only returning captain
* Could start with Okafor, Amile, Sheed, Cook or Jones on what would very likely be the most talented starting five in the country
* Chances at individual honors he never really got a chance at last year - 1st team all ACC, team MVP, All American
* Chances at team success they never got last year in his only year playing for Duke - league title, conference tournament title, sweet sixteen, final four, who knows?
* might actually be in a better spot with the draft if he goes next year than this year (in terms of being drafted higher).

I still think he is gone, but unlike Jabari he was never a projected one and done and with Parker's decision made, the opening for Hood if he comes back could be argued is nearly as good of one as you could ever hope for.

All of that is definitely nice in theory, but unfortunately Hood already declared. He will not be playing for Duke next year.

http://dukereport.com/duke-basketball/rodney-hood-enters-nba-draft/dukeofhoops/

Edouble
04-18-2014, 12:13 AM

* Only returning captain

I do not consider Hood a "one-and-done". I think that terminology pretty specifically describes a basketball player who spends one year in college in between his senior year of high school and his first year in the NBA.

sagegrouse
04-18-2014, 08:18 AM
I do not consider Hood a "one-and-done". I think that terminology pretty specifically describes a basketball player who spends one year in college in between his senior year of high school and his first year in the NBA.

You're right. Rodney is a "one-and-one-and-done." Or, given his sit-out year, maybe a "one-and-a-pause-and-a-one-and-a-done."