PDA

View Full Version : What is the Impact of a Kentucky win on College Basketball?

Ticklemytwine
04-07-2014, 09:32 PM
With all the debate in the media about paying players and the idea of the "student athlete", would a Kentucky win tonight signal a new era in big time College Basketball?

Calipari's "succeed and proceed" program is the extreme example of the NBA-prep mentality, and basically makes a mockery of the NCAA student athlete concept. Would 2 titles in 3 years validate this model for the one-and-done era? Will other big time programs be forced to follow suit to be competitive?

As a Duke grad, I'm smart enough to see college basketball changing substantially. Will our program adjust to the new reality? Do we want it to? So far the one-and-done era has been challenging for K's system. Recruiting has been strong, but post-season results have under-performed talent. I know I'm drawing conclusions from a small sample size, but it feels like a trend is developing.

Maybe I'm just a frustrated Duke fan watching my two most hated teams play for the championship, but I'm starting to feel like college basketball as we've known it is gone forever.

FerryFor50
04-07-2014, 09:34 PM
With all the debate in the media about paying players and the idea of the "student athlete", would a Kentucky win tonight signal a new era in big time College Basketball?

Calipari's "succeed and proceed" program is the extreme example of the NBA-prep mentality, and basically makes a mockery of the NCAA student athlete concept. Would 2 titles in 3 years validate this model for the one-and-done era? Will other big time programs be forced to follow suit to be competitive?

As a Duke grad, I'm smart enough to see college basketball changing substantially. Will our program adjust to the new reality? Do we want it to? So far the one-and-done era has been challenging for K's system. Recruiting has been strong, but post-season results have under-performed talent. I know I'm drawing conclusions from a small sample size, but it feels like a trend is developing.

Maybe I'm just a frustrated Duke fan watching my two most hated teams play for the championship, but I'm starting to feel like college basketball as we've known it is gone forever.

I'd say UConn is in a good position to end this discussion before it gets started... let's table until it's over. ;)

Dev11
04-07-2014, 09:56 PM
Maybe I'm just a frustrated Duke fan watching my two most hated teams play for the championship

Hang on, when did Roy sneak his team into Jerryworld?

And what about our longtime hated rival of many epic matches, Syracuse?

FerryFor50
04-07-2014, 09:57 PM
Hang on, when did Roy sneak his team into Jerryworld?

And what about our longtime hated rival of many epic matches, Syracuse?

Heck, since Calhoun left, I hate teams like Wake and Clemson more than UConn. :p

brevity
04-07-2014, 10:04 PM

Something might happen today. What does it all mean?