PDA

View Full Version : UNC's McAdoo Enters Draft

Troublemaker
04-03-2014, 02:21 PM
http://www.goheels.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=3350&ATCLID=209452335

If not new-thread worthy, I apologize...

tbyers11
04-03-2014, 02:24 PM

Wow, not expecting that. Fringe 1st-round at best? At this point, returning for his senior year could only boost his stock (a la Mason), right? It can't get much lower, can it? From a Duke perspective this is cool, b/c it weakens UNC next year. Wonder what Ol' Roy's response was when first told the news?

BlueDevilBrowns
04-03-2014, 02:25 PM

If this were 2012, it would have been.

wilko
04-03-2014, 02:26 PM
Congrats to JMM for his successful escape from prison. Best of Luck to him!

May the others follow his example and leave Chapel Hill in Fats' rental cars

Bluedog
04-03-2014, 02:28 PM
Wow, not expecting that. Fringe 1st-round at best? At this point, returning for his senior year could only boost his stock (a la Mason), right? It can't get much lower, can it? From a Duke perspective this is cool, b/c it weakens UNC next year. Wonder what Ol' Roy's response was when first told the news?

Well, he went from a likely top 5-10 pick after freshman year, to top 20 after his sophomore year....to now. So, certainly it can get lower. ;) DraftExpress has him in mid-second round in next year's draft (http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2015/).

"He's been extremely important to North Carolina Basketball and Roy Williams." -Roy Williams
Roy still uses the third person? Sheesh.

FerryFor50
04-03-2014, 02:30 PM

I'm guessing "shucks" or "daggumit"

Matches
04-03-2014, 02:33 PM
If this were 2012, it would have been.

Are we sure he doesn't think he's entering the 2012 Draft?

I mean, he *does* go to UNC.....

gumbomoop
04-03-2014, 02:33 PM

Hilarious comment on McAdoo's college career, in the clever guise of Tm's self-effacing "apology." To be clear, I am laughing with, not at, the devious Tm. Always making trouble.

No self-effacement on my part. Instead, absolutely straightforward crow-consuming, as in the aftermath of his 2 all-star games, I pronounced JMM UNC's "next great player." I saw no reason to change this prediction at end of his frosh year, as he seemed a worthy contributor, understandably subsuming his greatness to the Heels' established stars, biding his time.

During his soph campaign, I still missed the bloody obvious, his, uh, inefficiencies.

I don't follow NBA at all, except to check box scores for Duke, and sometimes UNC, guys. But I'll be curious about JMM's next couple of years.

CDu
04-03-2014, 02:35 PM
Strange. I guess he decided that he didn't want to risk another season of his draft stock falling, and hopes he'll still be a first round pick. But man, that doesn't seem like a certainty at all.

In terms of how it affects UNC, I'm not sure that this is the end of the world. They will have Brice Johnson and Isiah Hicks at PF next year. McAdoo might be better than those two (emphasis on "might"), but I don't think the dropoff from McAdoo to Hicks is that big. The Heels should still be really good, as they add 3 perimeter players to the mix (including an upgrade at PG).

Their lineup will probably be:
PG - Berry (backup Britt)
SG - Paige (backup Pinson)
SF - Tokoto (backup Jackson)
PF - Johnson (backups Hicks, Simmons)
C - Meeks (backups James, Hubert)

Bluedog
04-03-2014, 02:49 PM
DraftExpress from September 17, 2012:

"While it can be difficult to project the trajectory of underclassmen who are about to undergo major role changes at high-profile programs like North Carolina, McAdoo's situation seems like a safe bet [to be lottery]..."
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/James-McAdoo-5763/

Henderson
04-03-2014, 02:51 PM
Strange. I guess he decided that he didn't want to risk another season of his draft stock falling, and hopes he'll still be a first round pick. But man, that doesn't seem like a certainty at all.

In terms of how it affects UNC, I'm not sure that this is the end of the world. They will have Brice Johnson and Isiah Hicks at PF next year. McAdoo might be better than those two (emphasis on "might"), but I don't think the dropoff from McAdoo to Hicks is that big. The Heels should still be really good, as they add 3 perimeter players to the mix (including an upgrade at PG).

Their lineup will probably be:
PG - Berry (backup Britt)
SG - Paige (backup Pinson)
SF - Tokoto (backup Jackson)
PF - Johnson (backups Hicks, Simmons)
C - Meeks (backups James, Hubert)

I think Jackson might get more PT than Tokoto. I'm watching out for Brice Johnson. He seemed to come on at the end of the season, and he could have a breakout year. The guy has a lot of talent. With Meeks, Johnson, Jackson, and Tokoto on the roster (mostly Meeks and Johnson I guess), McAdoo could have been looking at a further reduction in his '15 draft stock.

Bottom line though is that any departure of a uncch starter is good for us, and therefore the universe.

gumbomoop
04-03-2014, 03:10 PM
I'm watching out for Brice Johnson.

Amen, or rather, curses. A former McAdoo-believer, I might now go so far as to say, "Addition by subtraction." Brice Johnson had, arguably, a better year than JMM this season. Better ppm, rpm. Blocks shots, better FT%, much better FG%, with a go-to baseline jump-hook. JMM never developed a go-to. Blame Roy?

UNC will have plenty of talent, a little less experience, strong team.

Wheat, other Heel-posters, chime in on JMM, please.

ancienteagle
04-03-2014, 03:11 PM
Congrats to JMM for his successful escape from prison. Best of Luck to him!

Hmmm . . .
Must have finished all the "Jemima Puddle-Duck" books in the UNC "Student Athlete" Library.

Potato Head
04-03-2014, 03:12 PM
Jackson looks like someone that can replace McAdoo pretty adequately, and he might even be able to make a free throw. Good luck to Mr. McAdoo in the NBA, hopefully someone there teaches him how to read if he hasn't learned yet.

CDu
04-03-2014, 03:12 PM
I think Jackson might get more PT than Tokoto. I'm watching out for Brice Johnson. He seemed to come on at the end of the season, and he could have a breakout year. The guy has a lot of talent. With Meeks, Johnson, Jackson, and Tokoto on the roster (mostly Meeks and Johnson I guess), McAdoo could have been looking at a further reduction in his '15 draft stock.

Bottom line though is that any departure of a uncch starter is good for us, and therefore the universe.

Yeah, I struggled with the SF spot. Jackson is certainly a threat to start. But Williams has a history of going with upperclassmen over freshman to start (see Hicks this year). So I think Tokoto will be the starter.

That said, I think both Jackson and Tokoto will play a LOT of minutes next year (along with Paige and Berry on the perimeter).

And I totally agree about Johnson. I think he was better than McAdoo anyway.

FerryFor50
04-03-2014, 03:13 PM
Yeah, I struggled with the SF spot. Jackson is certainly a threat to start. But Williams has a history of going with upperclassmen over freshman to start (see Hicks this year). So I think Tokoto will be the starter.

That said, I think both Jackson and Tokoto will play a LOT of minutes next year (along with Paige and Berry on the perimeter).

Tokoto's defense will keep him in the lineup. And his offense is picking up a bit... Roy has been playing deep lineups the past few years, so Jackson will see plenty of time, too.

Duvall
04-03-2014, 03:20 PM
Amen, or rather, curses. A former McAdoo-believer, I might now go so far as to say, "Addition by subtraction." Brice Johnson had, arguably, a better year than JMM this season. Better ppm, rpm. Blocks shots, better FT%, much better FG%, with a go-to baseline jump-hook.

Yeah, I don't actually see the argument for McAdoo over Johnson. Next year's UNC team might have gotten better today.

AtlDuke72
04-03-2014, 03:23 PM

I disagree with those who think this does not hurt the Heels severely for next year. JMM has been a very good player even if he hasn't lived up to all the hype. Look at Florida and you will see how important it is to have more experienced players. After seeing how good their incoming freshman looked last night they would have been really hard to handle next year if he stayed for one more year. Unfortunately, they are going to be hard enough to handle without him . . .

devildeac
04-03-2014, 03:27 PM
I'm guessing "shucks" or "daggumit"

I'll bet that does not put ol roy in the tax-filing season spirit:rolleyes:.

g-money
04-03-2014, 03:30 PM
DraftExpress from September 17, 2012:

"While it can be difficult to project the trajectory of underclassmen who are about to undergo major role changes at high-profile programs like North Carolina, McAdoo's situation seems like a safe bet [to be lottery]..."
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/James-McAdoo-5763/

I feel bad for any of these kids that stick around in college and lose their luster in scouts' eyes due to "overexposure", even one at Carolina.

The funny thing is that so many of these kids turn out to be keepers in the NBA. From Duke, Boozer, McRoberts, and Singler all come to mind as great "value" picks in the second round, whatever that means.

The NBA draft is a strange animal. I think NBA teams would benefit from relying less on the eye test and incorporating more statistical analysis into their picks - a la Billy Beane in Moneyball.

pfrduke
04-03-2014, 03:31 PM
"He's been extremely important to North Carolina Basketball and Roy Williams." -Roy Williams

I thought this was a clever spoof - I can't believe that was actually how he phrased his statement. Agreed with the sheesh.

Native
04-03-2014, 03:35 PM
Look at Florida and you will see how important it is to have more experienced players.

I don't think you have to look quite that far.

Duvall
04-03-2014, 03:39 PM
"He's been extremely important to North Carolina Basketball and Roy Williams." -Roy Williams.

"....and that's why I talked him out of his best shot at a multi-million dollar contract after his freshman season. Worked out okay for Roy Williams then, but now I don't need him anymore, so Roy Williams now supports James Michael's decision to leave 100 percent."

CDu
04-03-2014, 03:39 PM
I disagree with those who think this does not hurt the Heels severely for next year. JMM has been a very good player even if he hasn't lived up to all the hype. Look at Florida and you will see how important it is to have more experienced players. After seeing how good their incoming freshman looked last night they would have been really hard to handle next year if he stayed for one more year. Unfortunately, they are going to be hard enough to handle without him . . .

But that's the thing. They'll STILL have loads of experience next year. Paige will be a junior. Johnson will be a junior. Tokoto will be a junior. James will be a junior. Hubert and Simmons will play sparingly, but are seniors. Hicks will step in and play more as a sophomore (and I wouldn't be surprised to see him play at or near the level that McAdoo did as a sophomore, just in slightly fewer minutes as a backup).

I mean, sure, having McAdoo helps in that they don't have to rely in the unproven Hicks. But Hicks was a top-10 prospect last year coming out of high school. I have no reason to believe he won't be a very useful player as Johnson's backup next year.

FerryFor50
04-03-2014, 03:40 PM
Prior to this announcement, the vibe on IC was that MacAdoo was poised for a breakout (again) and would spend the summer polishing his game (unlike the last two summers). He was going to shut down Okafor (like he shut down Jabari and Mason the year before LOL) while Duke would have no answer for him on the other end.

Now that he's gone, I imagine the story will be that Roy did an amazing job preparing him for the NBA in only three short years.

If there's one thing they teach you how to do with great proficiency as a UNC fan, it's how to polish a turd.

UrinalCake
04-03-2014, 03:40 PM
Prior to this announcement, the vibe on IC was that MacAdoo was poised for a breakout (again) and would spend the summer polishing his game (unlike the last two summers). He was going to shut down Okafor (like he shut down Jabari and Mason the year before LOL) while Duke would have no answer for him on the other end.

Now that he's gone, I imagine the story will be that Roy did an amazing job preparing him for the NBA in only three short years.

gumbomoop
04-03-2014, 03:43 PM
But that's the thing. They'll STILL have loads of experience next year. Paige will be a junior. Johnson will be a junior. Tokoto will be a junior. James will be a junior. Hubert and Simmons will play sparingly, but are seniors. Hicks will step in and play more as a sophomore (and I wouldn't be surprised to see him play at or near the level that McAdoo did as a sophomore, just in slightly fewer minutes as a backup).

I mean, sure, having McAdoo helps in that they don't have to rely in the unproven Hicks. But Hicks was a top-10 prospect last year coming out of high school. I have no reason to believe he won't be a very useful player as Johnson's backup next year.

Agree with this. My own criteria for rating teams at beginning of any season is talent, experience, depth. Next season Heels have all 3.

Also, JMM didn't play like an experienced player last season. Paige and Johnson, sophs, did. So, surprising to me, did Tokoto, more often than JMM.

#1Duke
04-03-2014, 03:47 PM
He is a liability to the Heels. His performance was mediocre at best. I think Roy is extremely loyal to players. For example, he stayed with Drew far more than he should have and actually lost games because of him. He treated PJ far better than he should have and should have limited McAdoo's minutes until he got his act together.
Other players will step up. McAdoo's leaving will benefit the Heels IMO.

Henderson
04-03-2014, 03:55 PM
He is a liability to the Heels. His performance was mediocre at best. I think Roy is extremely loyal to players. For example, he stayed with Drew far more than he should have and actually lost games because of him. He treated PJ far better than he should have and should have limited McAdoo's minutes until he got his act together.
Other players will step up. McAdoo's leaving will benefit the Heels IMO.

How does losing a starter who averaged 14.2 ppg benefit a program? Heck, you could throw him down to the end of the bench and still have a guy available.

FerryFor50
04-03-2014, 03:57 PM
How does losing a starter ever benefit a program? Heck, you could throw him down to the end of the bench and still have a potential NBA player available.

Depends on the quality of the decision to start the player. ;)

But I agree... losing McAdoo, who was athletic and going to be a senior, and was productive this year, is going to hurt the Heels on both sides of the ball.

wsb3
04-03-2014, 03:59 PM

I think it is worthy. I am just very surprised.

#1Duke
04-03-2014, 04:07 PM
How does losing a starter who averaged 14.2 ppg benefit a program? Heck, you could throw him down to the end of the bench and still have a guy available.

He stunk from the foul line, he never showed up big in a big game this year ( that I can remember), he can't finish unless it is a dunk, he has no touch and throws shots up at the rim, I lost count of the shots he missed 6 foot and in.

Give Johnson more minutes and he'll outperform McAdoo by a good margin. Johnson is going to be very good next year ( he is good on both ends of the court…. quick release and shot blocker) and other players that get more minutes will contribute more.

Yes, McAdoo should have been used as a 6th or 7th man…. not a starter….. until he upped his game. The amount of minutes he got was a handicap to the team.

dukelifer
04-03-2014, 04:10 PM
Depends on the quality of the decision to start the player. ;)

But I agree... losing McAdoo, who was athletic and going to be a senior, and was productive this year, is going to hurt the Heels on both sides of the ball.

The Heels will be fine. They have talent coming in the door. I contend they would have been better with McAdoo - who was starting to find himself- but they will be fine. This will give the young guys more minutes.

Matches
04-03-2014, 04:12 PM
Johnson is a better shot-blocker than MacAdoo but in every other respect he is far inferior on the defensive end. MacAdoo was a plus defender - he was an inefficient offensive player but he did draw a ton of fouls. (Granted he was an awful FT shooter but he got opposing bigs in foul trouble, which has value.)

I won't dispute that UNC won't be fine without him - they will - but they would've been better with him than they will be without him.

superdave
04-03-2014, 04:21 PM
Chad Ford has JMM ranked #60 on the Big Board and uses the dreaded "undersized" word.

At this point, McAdoo was unlikely to improve and would only more competition for minutes in CH next year. He's not getting any younger. Might as well go for it. From my perspective, McAdoo did not add a whole lot to his game. He also never had a killer instinct or tireless work ethic. Not a bad thing, unless you want a long NBA career.

OldPhiKap
04-03-2014, 04:34 PM
Odd decision to me, but he has to do what he thinks is best.

Carolina will be good next year, with or without JMM.

Maybe now he can afford a good shave.

Rich
04-03-2014, 04:43 PM
Odd decision to me, but he has to do what he thinks is best.

Carolina will be good next year, with or without JMM.

Maybe now he can afford a good shave.

Mercer is a stronger team than we expect
Carolina will be good next year

OPK, I'm really getting tired of your predictions. Just stop already!

El_Diablo
04-03-2014, 05:29 PM
The decision was probably a little easier once the Mercedes from Fats Thomas (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?33347-MBB-Duke-93-UNC-81-Post-Game-Thread&p=713176#post713176) was no longer a viable option to entice him to stay for another year.

El_Diablo
04-03-2014, 05:38 PM
My favorite comment from Inside Carolina so far: "Somebody must have told him you get six fouls in the NBA."

BD80
04-03-2014, 05:41 PM
... Wonder what Ol' Roy's response was when first told the news?

You interrupted roy williams on the golf course for this?

hurleyfor3
04-03-2014, 05:49 PM
Good, go away.

flyingdutchdevil
04-03-2014, 05:58 PM
Good, go away.

Can he take Paige with him?

Paige makes my blood boil for 2 reasons:

1) He's insanely talented
2) He is a super likable player. And he makes me hate UNC just a little bit less...

OldPhiKap
04-03-2014, 08:07 PM
My favorite comment from Inside Carolina so far: "Somebody must have told him you get six fouls in the NBA."

The way he shoots free throws, though, that may not be a positive.

gumbomoop
04-03-2014, 08:23 PM

The way he shoots free throws, though, that may not be a positive.

Wait, you mean JMM thinks that in the NBA, when he fouls someone, he gets to shoot free throws?

Wow, no wonder he declared, though you'd have thought he'd have acted on this delusion 2 years ago. I guess he knew he needed a lot more FT practice before jumping to the League.

OldPhiKap
04-03-2014, 08:27 PM
To be fair, he may need the money. Babysitting jobs are tough in CH.

FerryFor50
04-03-2014, 08:34 PM
To be fair, he may need the money. Babysitting jobs are tough in CH.

Especially when storytime rolls around..

jipops
04-03-2014, 08:47 PM

Believable and unbelievable at the same time. I guess we need the reminder that this is just as much about Roy.

weezie
04-03-2014, 08:56 PM
The announcers will miss enunciating his entire name several thousand times during each hole game.

OldPhiKap
04-03-2014, 08:56 PM
Especially when storytime rolls around..

Post of the week right there. Cannot spork right now, unfortunately.

Anyway, good luck JMM. He was never really good enough to truly hate. And go to Hell, Carolina.

Dr. Rosenrosen
04-03-2014, 09:55 PM
Believable and unbelievable at the same time. I guess we need the reminder that this is just as much about Roy.
The first part of his statement was arguably an even more pathetic use of the third person personal reference...

"I am extremely happy for James Michael, but at the same time I am sad for me because I won't get a chance to coach that youngster again," says head coach Roy Williams.

If he respected himself more, he would refer to himself as Roy Allen Williams.

gurufrisbee
04-03-2014, 09:56 PM
Good, go away.

2) He is a super likable player. And he makes me hate UNC just a little bit less...

I agree with both of these posts so much.

devildeac
04-03-2014, 10:09 PM
Post of the week right there. Cannot spork right now, unfortunately.

Anyway, good luck JMM. He was never really good enough to truly hate. And go to Hell, Carolina.

Not to worry as I covered the spork-spread for Ferry for 50's turd-polishing post. ;)

Dr. Rosenrosen
04-03-2014, 10:32 PM
WRAL guys just blew JMM up on 10 o'clock news! At the end of the segment, one news guy said he "should have gone after his freshman year, he would have been better off." Then the other guy says, "Yeah and his contract would be up now and he'd be in the D-League." Ouch.

Wheat/"/"/"
04-03-2014, 11:09 PM
Losing a player of JMM's ability is not a good thing for UNC. He was a respected teammate and the kid can play. He was 2nd team All ACC, after all. That's the reality, but UNC does have quality talent to fill the void and will move forward.

His positives for the NBA are that he's very strong and athletic at a 6'9. He's coachable and plays hard. He can defend on the wing and he can pass. He can run the floor. I also think he can shoot it better as a face up PF in the NBA than we've seen from his college career where he's played a lot in the post by necessity. His rebounding is average for his size and he'll have to work on that.

He has some weaknesses that I thought he would be better served with one more year in college to work on, mainly, finishing in traffic and improving his in game/in the moment decision making.

I'm wondering if he's gotten some info somewhere where he's basically guaranteed to be picked in the first round. I've thought he's late first round this year if he went, but it wouldn't have surprised me if he slips to the 2nd round, so did he get some info from somewhere?

His struggles with scoring touch on the run at the rim would worry me as a NBA GM. He'll need to convince in the pre draft workouts he can shoot it face up and that he has the mid range offensive game for the NBA.

The winner for PT in JMM's decision is Hicks. He's a stud athlete and he's been patiently waiting his turn. He'll step right in and play his natural PF spot after a year improving his handle on the wing. UNC will still have a 4 man rotation inside of Hicks, Johnson, Meeks and James. Each has different strengths and that will give Roy lots of line up options for teams to have to defend. And good options for UNC to match up defensively when needed.

Roy will have a very interesting team next year to watch.
Just some of the possibilities I'm looking forward to seeing...

Britt, Paige, Tokoto, Johnson, Meeks...(my bet to start the season).
Paige, Tokoto, Jackson, Hicks, Johnson....
Berry, Paige, Tokoto, Johnson, Meeks...
Paige, Pinson, Tokoto, Johnson, James...
Paige, Pinson, Tokoto, Hicks, Johnson... (Pressing unit)

Practice will define the combos that work best together, chemistry is a huge part of the game.

Henderson
04-03-2014, 11:32 PM
I'm wondering if he's gotten some info somewhere where he's basically guaranteed to be picked in the first round. I've thought he's late first round this year if he went, but it wouldn't have surprised me if he slips to the 2nd round, so did he get some info from somewhere?

Draft Express is projecting him as late 2nd round today. I haven't seen any projection for him in the first round.

Dukehky
04-03-2014, 11:36 PM
McAdon't... play for Carolina anymore.

El_Diablo
04-03-2014, 11:38 PM
McAdieu

Olympic Fan
04-04-2014, 12:40 AM
I always thought he was the most overrated player in the ACC. Not that he was a bad player -- he wasn't, but he was never as good as the hype.

He was the 10th guy in the media's All-ACC vote, so he did make second team ... but he was a third-team pick by the ACC coaches.

Still, he will be missed. He was a 14 ppg scorer and 7 rpg. He went to the foul line more than anybody in the ACC other than Olivier Hanlan (although he missed half of his attempts). By some metrics, he was UNC's most effective defender. he ended up at 46 percent from the floor, which wasn't great, but not terrible either.

The only way losing McAdoo could help is if he had come back and become disgruntled over a reduced role and turned into a cancer on the bench. Hard to project that happening.

As it stands, I take this as a loss for UNC -- not as big a loss as if Paige had gone -- but still a loss.

kAzE
04-04-2014, 02:51 AM
To be honest, I think they could potentially be better without him. Johnson just strikes me as a better rebounder and scorer, and if he adds some muscle this offseason, he could be a beast next year. I see him stepping in and UNC not skipping a beat. They can easily absorb this loss, and with Paige, Meeks, and the talented freshmen class coming in, they will still top 5 in the nation.

Dr. Rosenrosen
04-04-2014, 08:15 AM
McAdon't... play for Carolina anymore.
McAwon't... play in the NBA.

budwom
04-04-2014, 09:35 AM
For brief stretches he could look absolutely terrific, which is why many expected him to excel after his first year...instead he became even more inconsistent, shooting poorly from the field
and the line. Big time bust.

brevity
04-04-2014, 09:57 AM
DraftExpress (http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2014/) has JMMMMM going to the Sixers at #55. Also note that by this time the Sixers have already mock-drafted Joel Embiid, Doug McDermott, Mitch McGary, Patric Young, Russ Smith, and Keith Appling. It's good to be the 7th choice of the NBA's worst team.

Mods, can we rename this thread "The McAdoo Delusion"?

OldPhiKap
04-04-2014, 10:09 AM
DraftExpress (http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2014/) has JMMMMM going to the Sixers at #55. Also note that by this time the Sixers have already mock-drafted Joel Embiid, Doug McDermott, Mitch McGary, Patric Young, Russ Smith, and Keith Appling. It's good to be the 7th choice of the NBA's worst team.

Maybe he's getting out of town before the sanctions fall.

Oh wait, that's the "NCAA Gives A Rip" Delusion

CDu
04-04-2014, 10:30 AM
For brief stretches he could look absolutely terrific, which is why many expected him to excel after his first year...instead he became even more inconsistent, shooting poorly from the field
and the line. Big time bust.

I don't think he became more inconsistent. I think he was always that inconsistent. It is just that limited minutes (and limited responsibility in those limited minutes) tend to mask that inconsistency.

As a freshman, he never had to take a tough shot because the team had tons of better scoring options. Basically, all he did as a freshman was get breakaway dunks, putback dunks, and the occasional dimes from Marshall for easy layups/dunks. I said after his freshman year that I don't remember him making a single successful post move or a jumpshot outside of 5 feet in that entire season.

Moving into an expanded role where the team actually looked to him to create offense, he struggled. He had no jumpshot, no change of direction off the dribble, and couldn't adjust to defense when help came. If he could get an unimpeded run at the rim, he would look dynamite. But even the slightest opposition made him look really clumsy and awkward. I will say that he improved his play this year. He still is a terrible shooter, but he was a bit better from 10-12 feet this year than last year (when he would regularly miss by 2-3 feet). He made better decisions with the ball as well and drew tons of fouls.

I think it would have made sense for him to come back for his senior year. If he could show as much improvement next year as he did this year, he might have put himself back in the first round discussion. As is, he'll be lucky to be a first-rounder.

BD80
04-04-2014, 11:00 AM

McAdoolusion?

Frankly, a 2nd round pick on a team with a weak bench might be a blessing for JMM. It seems JMM is a high character guy who needs to add bulk - being inactive at the end of the bench for a year or two might benefit him. A team with a high price starting line-up that relies on minimum salary bench players might also be a good place for him.

eddiehaskell
04-04-2014, 11:24 AM
I'm not sure what some people were watching here but McAdoo was really good in some big games for unc. He had:

20/5 vs UK
22/7 vs Clemson
24/12 vs Pitt
16/10 vs Prov
10/10 vs Duke
16/13 vs NCSU
15/9 vs Cuse

He was bad at the beginning of the year - specifically against MSU and Louisville, but since around January I'd say he was their 2nd best player. It's crazy to say losing him doesn't hurt unc.

jv001
04-04-2014, 11:30 AM
I don't think he became more inconsistent. I think he was always that inconsistent. It is just that limited minutes (and limited responsibility in those limited minutes) tend to mask that inconsistency.

As a freshman, he never had to take a tough shot because the team had tons of better scoring options. Basically, all he did as a freshman was get breakaway dunks, putback dunks, and the occasional dimes from Marshall for easy layups/dunks. I said after his freshman year that I don't remember him making a single successful post move or a jumpshot outside of 5 feet in that entire season.

Moving into an expanded role where the team actually looked to him to create offense, he struggled. He had no jumpshot, no change of direction off the dribble, and couldn't adjust to defense when help came. If he could get an unimpeded run at the rim, he would look dynamite. But even the slightest opposition made him look really clumsy and awkward. I will say that he improved his play this year. He still is a terrible shooter, but he was a bit better from 10-12 feet this year than last year (when he would regularly miss by 2-3 feet). He made better decisions with the ball as well and drew tons of fouls.

I think it would have made sense for him to come back for his senior year. If he could show as much improvement next year as he did this year, he might have put himself back in the first round discussion. As is, he'll be lucky to be a first-rounder.

I guess you could say JMM on a very good team would be a role player. He averaged just short of 15 ppg and was UNC's first or second scoring option this season, Paige really being number 1. So, yes he was overrated if you look at his recruitment coming out of high school or you could say old Roy can't develop players. :cool: GoDuke!

gumbomoop
04-04-2014, 11:33 AM
It's crazy to say losing him doesn't hurt unc.

The key issue is much more PT for Brice Johnson, a much steadier player, dependable go-to move and shot, excellent shot-blocker. Johnson's talent merits 28-30 mpg, which won't happen as long as JMM still around.

So in some ways it will hurt them, but overall -- including additional minutes for other talented guys -- it might be a plus.

Kedsy
04-04-2014, 12:09 PM
As a freshman, he never had to take a tough shot because the team had tons of better scoring options. Basically, all he did as a freshman was get breakaway dunks, putback dunks, and the occasional dimes from Marshall for easy layups/dunks.

Which made his 43.4% FG percentage as a freshman all the more remarkable.

toooskies
04-04-2014, 12:40 PM
To be honest, I think they could potentially be better without him. Johnson just strikes me as a better rebounder and scorer, and if he adds some muscle this offseason, he could be a beast next year. I see him stepping in and UNC not skipping a beat. They can easily absorb this loss, and with Paige, Meeks, and the talented freshmen class coming in, they will still top 5 in the nation.

Any time you can take a high-usage, low-results player like McAdoo and take him off the court, you're going to get better. His TS% was under 50%. He drew a lot of fouls but couldn't convert the free throws. Replace JMM with any McDonald's AA freshman and you'll probably get better results out of the team. His mediocre numbers are a result of minutes and expectations, as were his all-conference team rankings.

Definitely a case of addition by subtraction.

Vanceman201
04-04-2014, 12:46 PM
First off...I'm 60 yoa and have been a Heels fan for 50 of that.

Shockingly, for some, I don't hate Duke. My thinking has always been that your athletes, going to
such a prestigious institution -- surely had to show up for class. I believe Coach K has recruited upstanding
players...and he kept his program's expectations high.
UNC's challenges in that regard (at least in football) were sickening. I hope the future will put us back on the right track.

For many years several of my buddies and I have gathered for Heels games.
This year, with all the additions to the ACC...we found ourselves pulling for Duke in games against the
newbies. And, certainly, in the NCAA Tourney...we were behind the ACC all the way.

We were torn all year concerning JMM's inconsistent play. We never could finger a cause. Was it personal
drive? Coaching? Lack of commitment at all times? Eventually, we came to expect the unexpected. He could
be hot/get hot or he could show up 80%. Toward the end of the season we all agreed that if he went NBA...good luck
young man...let's see what Johnson, etc....can do. I want to make it clear that we really like this young man on a personal
level and admit that he could have been a big-time star next year.

One thing all of our group expects is all-out, gut-checking effort and smart play at all times. We always see that in Duke and most
other teams and we usually have that. This group, especially JMM, seemed to leave us short too many times.
The most frustrating thing was to see us get behind, sometimes far behind, with no apparent uptick in playing with urgency.
JMM was the ring leader...in our minds of this less than totally committed play.

As for Jabari. Well, as a Heels fan...if he leaves we won't shed tears obviously. He was and would be even more a thorn in our side. That being said...
Jabari, the human being/the student, always impressed me as being just a top notch young man. I never observed him over-celebrate...no
display of unsportsmanlike conduct in any way. So, as a person, I/we became very fond of him. We like to see people like this get all the
good things they've worked for and deserve. To that point, I can see that Jabari might just like the college experience...and may decide to
put the NBA off one more year. I would just hope he'd have a great year and stay healthy. If he does return....well, we'll just have to deal with it.

OldPhiKap
04-04-2014, 12:52 PM
^^^ Great post, thanks.

Duke and Carolina will both compete for the title next year, regardless of NBA issues.

Reilly
04-04-2014, 01:08 PM
... Oh wait, that's the "NCAA Gives A Rip" Delusion

Roy's *always* in the dadgum let's-pretend-we-care-but-don't-really-do-anything-just-like-the-NCAA spirit.

The Gordog
04-04-2014, 01:15 PM

Infinity -x is still infinity, ("it is the concept of that which is unbounded. As such, it cannot be altered by adding and subtracting 1" or any real number for that matter.) That must be why I have not noticed a reduction in my hatred.

mccollums
04-04-2014, 02:16 PM
Infinity -x is still infinity, ("it is the concept of that which is unbounded. As such, it cannot be altered by adding and subtracting 1" or any real number for that matter.) That must be why I have not noticed a reduction in my hatred.

I didn't watch a ton of UNC this season. How did Isaiah Hicks look? If he's ready to step up and contribute I would think UNC would use Hicks/Johnson/Meeks at the 4/5 next season.

As for Paige, I think he's exceeded everyone's expectations with his play. How much better do you think he can get? UNC needs other players to step up and take the burden off of Paige. As good as Paige is, he's still a little undersized which increases the difficulty of this shots when being defended by long and athletic teams. UNC's top 3 scorers shot 44,46,38%. They will need to improve this to reach elite status next season.

Bob Green
04-04-2014, 02:29 PM
Roy will have a very interesting team next year to watch.
Just some of the possibilities I'm looking forward to seeing...

Britt, Paige, Tokoto, Johnson, Meeks...(my bet to start the season).

If Britt starts over Berry, I hope Berry transfers at Christmas. Seriously, Coach Williams needs to hand Berry the keys to the car while simultaneously unleashing Paige as full time shooting guard. Geez, you would think even Huck would be smart enough to learn from the mistakes he has made in the past not starting talented freshmen such as Marshall and Hairston.

As far as JMM goes, Carolina would be better with him, but they will be just fine without him. The Tar Heels are going to be a deep talented team in 2014/15.

jipops
04-04-2014, 03:30 PM
If Britt starts over Berry, I hope Berry transfers at Christmas. Seriously, Coach Williams needs to hand Berry the keys to the car while simultaneously unleashing Paige as full time shooting guard. Geez, you would think even Huck would be smart enough to learn from the mistakes he has made in the past not starting talented freshmen such as Marshall and Hairston.

As far as JMM goes, Carolina would be better with him, but they will be just fine without him. The Tar Heels are going to be a deep talented team in 2014/15.

Well Roy might start with Britt but as the season goes on I wouldn't be surprised to see Berry take his spot. I was also very much impressed with BerryII in the McD-A game. Britt was pretty solid as a distributor the 2nd half of the season though. The heels definitely have some nice options in the back court. The real stud in their class is Jackson though. What an offensive force that kid is going to be. He has a very quick release on his shot and with that length it's an almost un-guardable shot. He definitely gives the heels a versatile option as well.

Wheat/"/"/"
04-04-2014, 07:18 PM

I'm always leery of freshmen hype, and I haven't seen enough of Berry to make me think he'll start over Britt. It definitely could happen if he's "all that", but what little I saw at the MDAA game leads me to believe he's certainly a good player, but I didn't see exceptional.

I only trust what I see with my own eyes, not HS recruiting "experts". I've seen too many over hyped head scratchers over the years....what I know is I liked what I saw from Britt this season. He was quick, played good D, had a tight handle, and was relatively steady in his decision making for a freshman. I particularly liked his body language every game. He always looked focused. Even when he made mistakes, he came right back at it the next play. He was mentally tough and I like that at the point. He made some pressure FT's this season. He didn't have that bad a looking shot, it just didn't go in that often and he was disciplined all season to not take too many bad ones. He needs to continue to work on his shot, and he knows it. He'll also need to finish stronger at the rim, and as he gets stronger I think he will. He can take defenders off the dribble, but he's not going to be a "scoring" PG. He just has to make the plays that come his way to keep teams honest. He's going to keep getting better.

I like Paige at the 2g as well, but I like him at point better. If Tokoto can improve his outside shot to the 37--38% range from 3, I think he can play 2g and be a matchup nightmare for 2g defenders, leaving Paige at PG...while opening up the WF spot for another scorer like Jackson to go along with two of Johnson/Hicks/Meeks at PF/C.

Again, lots of options for Roy with talented, versatile players and it will have to play out in practice to see who fits best where.

ncexnyc
04-04-2014, 09:29 PM
When the young man should or shouldn’t have declared is open for debate. I’m sure we can all agree after his freshman season he was an extremely hot commodity due to his potential. Of course many of us realized the kid had holes in his game, but again I would say we all agreed he should have made more progress in filling some of those holes than he has.

Personally I believe he should stay for his final season. A look at numerous mock drafts shows him being selected late in the second round. So as the old saying goes, “In for a penny, in for a pound” his stock can’t drop much lower. And this draft is heavy with SF’s and PF’s.

As for the UNC team, I’ve seen some claim this is addition by subtraction, but I can’t agree with this. While they do have players who could possibly step in and provide better play than JMM did, that is speculation. JMM while never living up to the hype, wasn’t exactly a bum.

Meeks has potential, but what kind of shape will he get himself into before the season starts? I also think this kid is a bit of a head case. In the games I saw him play, if he got off to a good start then all was fine, however a bad play or two and things would rapidly fall apart and he’d sit for the rest of the game. The duo of James and Hubert are nothing to write home about and pretty much put to bed the myth that UNC can develop great big men.

Johnson is a very good player and should now be able to devote his full time to the PF spot and Hicks has a ton of upside, but then so did JMM. A lot of people talk about Johnson being a great defender, but there’s a huge difference getting your blocks while providing offside help, as opposed to getting them when your mano y mano.

At the very least JMM would be the proverbial safety net for the UNC team, even if he didn’t improve his game one iota. I'm happy to see him go.

UrinalCake
04-04-2014, 09:33 PM
There's really only one appropriate, mature response to this news to offer our Tar Heel friends: