PDA

View Full Version : What if Capel leaves too?

langdonfan
04-02-2014, 04:23 PM
With Jeff Capel now being mentioned as a possibility Cal, you have to wonder who might be brought in if he left...

LobstersPinchPinch
04-02-2014, 04:29 PM
With Jeff Capel now being mentioned as a possibility Cal, you have to wonder who might be brought in if he left...

This is from last November: http://www.rantsports.com/prep-sports/2013/11/21/jeff-capel-deserves-props-for-duke-blue-devils-recent-recruiting-success/

If he's one of the keys to our recent success with big names, losing him would hurt. But as the story makes clear, a great recruiter will be in high demand.

langdonfan
04-02-2014, 04:37 PM
Gonna be kind of odd for the new class if most of the coaching staff that recruited them is gone when they get here :-s.

jv001
04-02-2014, 04:39 PM
Gonna be kind of odd for the new class if most of the coaching staff that recruited them is gone when they get here :-s.

Could be a reason to ask Jay Williams if he's interested. A big name assistant would help calm some nerves if they are concerned. Which I don't think any of the recruited kids are worried. GoDuke!

LobstersPinchPinch
04-02-2014, 04:43 PM

Yeah, we'll have to manage it well. Orlando leaving UK, sounds like Karl Towns is taking that especially hard.

With Coach K's salary, if our only issue is keeping any new assistants' salaries under his, we could attract some pretty great candidates. Don't know much about his interest in coaching, but J-Will, on the surface, would seem to be a "everything is good" type of hire.

CameronBornAndBred
04-02-2014, 04:50 PM
Yeah, we'll have to manage it well. Orlando leaving UK, sounds like Karl Towns is taking that especially hard.

With Coach K's salary, if our only issue is keeping any new assistants' salaries under his, we could attract some pretty great candidates. Don't know much about his interest in coaching, but J-Will, on the surface, would seem to be a "everything is good" type of hire.
IF he were to come and take a seat on our bench, he wouldn't be filling Capel's seat. He has zero experience coaching. As we have discussed in other threads, being a great player does not equate to being a good coach. He would not start on the seat next to K as Capel did, he would still have to earn his way up the bench, so his salary would not be an issue. Nate James (and possibly Scheyer) would be making more than Williams.

LobstersPinchPinch
04-02-2014, 04:59 PM
IF he were to come and take a seat on our bench, he wouldn't be filling Capel's seat. He has zero experience coaching. As we have discussed in other threads, being a great player does not equate to being a good coach. He would not start on the seat next to K as Capel did, he would still have to earn his way up the bench, so his salary would not be an issue. Nate James (and possibly Scheyer) would be making more than Williams.

Agree on where he sits, until he shows what he can do, bbut would be surprised if his salary's ceiling was the other assistant's current salary. $ is not just based on experience but how much (potential) value the coach can add. More than just x's and o's go into value.

CameronBornAndBred
04-02-2014, 05:09 PM
Agree on where he sits, until he shows what he can do, bbut would be surprised if his salary's ceiling was the other assistant's current salary. $ is not just based on experience but how much (potential) value the coach can add. More than just x's and o's go into value.
Dickie V has coaching experience, as a head coach even, but I wouldn't pay him more than my current assistants should he want to sit on my bench.
Williams is a very good business man, and makes an excellent living. He would not need to make money a priority, and would be smart not to. He wouldn't be hired for free, but he would be just fine making what he is worth as a coach, which right now would not be more than the other guys on our sidelines. It is his long term interests that he would be making the move for, and those would pay off eventually.
(Either way, I would be very surprised to see him make that move.)

sagegrouse
04-02-2014, 05:23 PM

And, uh, his existing economic package from broadcasting, sports promotions, appearances, etc. JWill can demand a higher salary than other assistant basketball coaches, at Duke or elsewhere. Duke may or may not choose to pay it. (Actually, it's supply, not demand: he may not be willing to supply his services for less than he is making.)

cspan37421
04-02-2014, 07:49 PM
If Jeff Capel is a great recruiter, then that's wonderful. My concern is a little bit more with how recruits are developing once they get here. And I have to think/hope they're drawn more to Coach K than any one assistant coach. In fact, I think Coach K is often involved in "closing the deal", right?

Not being more than an interested fan, and with full recognition that sometimes the best coaches were mediocre players, I'd be looking down the Duke all-time steals list to figure out who might be able to teach the skill well. Is Chris Duhon really Duke's all-time leader in that category? I know he was a really good player for us, but I never thought of him as such a relentless ball hound as some others like JWill, Wojo, Hurley, etc. Apparently, he either was, or he was really good at anticipating passes and stepping in. We need both, of course.

fuse
04-02-2014, 07:56 PM
I'm sending in my resume to replace Wojo and/or Capel. My entire interview pitch is going to be crowd sourcing how to coach the team based on what I read on DBR.
We'll never lose with me as an assistant ;-p

NSDukeFan
04-02-2014, 08:05 PM
I'm sending in my resume to replace Wojo and/or Capel. My entire interview pitch is going to be crowd sourcing how to coach the team based on what I read on DBR.

Or did you mean you'd never make a decision with you as an assistant, based on reading DBR. In that case, the starters would be the four freshmen and Semi, with playing time being given in order of least experienced players first. :p. Actually, there would probably be some very good input, along with some not so good.

devildeac
04-02-2014, 08:26 PM

And you and Grant Hill can pour the beer. Oh, wait, wrong thread:o.

Henderson
04-02-2014, 08:39 PM
The Capel thing seems to be pretty thin at this point. All I could find was a reference to a "rumor going around the Duke program" that he "might" be considered at Cal. Things kind of seem to have taken off from there (unusual, I know). So I'm giving the Cal thing the thought it deserves at this point.

Leaving Cal aside, there's no question that Capel is ripe -- or at least ripening -- for another HC position. But with Wojo and Collins both gone now, this would be a bad time for the Duke program for Capel to leave. It would create an experience void on the staff that would (imo) need to be filled by someone with that experience, whether from the Duke coaching tree or beyond it. But I think experience would have to trump former-player status.

Crap, I didn't want to start speculating based on a Capel-to-Cal rumor, and listen to me... ugh.

fuse
04-02-2014, 09:00 PM
And you and Grant Hill can pour the beer. Oh, wait, wrong thread:o.

Coaching alongside K and Grant (for which grossly under qualified would be an understatement of the decade) while pouring the beer might actually be the realization of an unarticulated dream. That could be a top ten memorable moment.

gcashwell
04-02-2014, 11:39 PM
Battier is retiring at the right time to come coach. I'll pitch in five bucks to bring home to duke.

porkpa
04-03-2014, 05:44 AM
They probably have better options and wouldn't be interested, but what about Grant Hill and Shane Battier? That would also in my view help us in the big man department.

NSDukeFan
04-03-2014, 06:15 AM
They probably have better options and wouldn't be interested, but what about Grant Hill and Shane Battier? That would also in my view help us in the big man department.

Are you saying Duke probably has better options and wouldn't be interested in Battier or Grant?;). If they were brought on staff, finally Duke would be able to coach every position.

CameronBornAndBred
04-03-2014, 09:44 AM
There are so many threads spawned from Wojo's departure that is impossible to figure out where to post this without starting a new thread, and obviously we have enough as it is.
Since I don't think Capel is going anywhere, (there are no sources in any news stories even postulating his taking another job, Cal's included), I'll put it here.
This is a fun article in USA Today wondering who gets the halftime interview duties now. (Don't read if you don't enjoy a good roast.)

It’s one of the most obnoxious parts about Duke basketball. No, not the floor slapping, fake charges or endless whining to officials. It has nothing to do with the Cameron Crazies either. We’re talking about Mike Krzyzewski’s refusal to do halftime interviews and passing the unenviable task to an assistant. First it was Johnny Dawkins, then Chris Collins. Once Collins left, the “privilege” was given to associate head coach Steve Wojciechowski. But now that Wojo’s left Durham to become the head coach at Marquette (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2014/04/01/marquette-hires-steve-wojciechowski-duke-assistant/7156429/), who’s Coach K’s next interview lackey?

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/04/duke-coach-k-interviews-steve-wojociechowski-wojo-jeff-capel-nate-james/

Kedsy
04-03-2014, 09:53 AM

My memory could be fuzzy, but I don't remember either Grant Hill or Shane Battier ever posting up on offense while at Duke. My guess is neither did it very much in the NBA, either. On defense, I guess both sometimes guarded opposing PFs at Duke, but in the pros I think they both played perimeter (SF) pretty much all the time.

So I don't understand how either could help us in the big man department any more than Wojo or Jeff Capel. Does breathing the air 6'8" off the ground automatically convert you into a good big man coach?

Ichabod Drain
04-03-2014, 10:00 AM
My memory could be fuzzy, but I don't remember either Grant Hill or Shane Battier ever posting up on offense while at Duke. My guess is neither did it very much in the NBA, either. On defense, I guess both sometimes guarded opposing PFs at Duke, but in the pros I think they both played perimeter (SF) pretty much all the time.

So I don't understand how either could help us in the big man department any more than Wojo or Jeff Capel. Does breathing the air 6'8" off the ground automatically convert you into a good big man coach?

Battier has defended the four a lot in the NBA... it probably plays a part in why he is retiring after this year. He's packed a lot into his 13 professional seasons.

Aside from that, I don't expect to see him on the Duke bench anytime soon if ever.

Son of Mojo
04-03-2014, 10:36 AM
Would now be the time to see if Laettner is ready to be a coach on a high level? Teach post moves, fakes, and bring out the killer instinct in guys. Just a thought.

CDu
04-03-2014, 10:38 AM

I would say that they spent a lot more than "sometimes" guarding PFs at Duke. Heck, Hill played pretty much exclusively PF as a freshman and sophomore. And Battier played PF (and some C) as a junior and senior.

Both became SF/PF in the NBA (Hill spent some of his Pistons years at the PF spot, Battier has played a fair amount of PF). So both would at least be familiar with defending post players. And thus be familiar with post moves.

But that being said, I definitely don't subscribe to the viewpoint that you have to have been a post player to be able to coach post play.

tommy
04-04-2014, 03:19 AM
Just perusing some of the Cal sites and blogs, it appears that Travis DeCuire, who was their Associate Head Coach under Monty, has some significant support. Others mentioned include Ben Howland, UC-Irvine coach Russell Turner, Arizona assistant Joe Pasternack, and St. Mary's coach Randy Bennett. Not a peep about Jeff Capel. Which probably means he's in meetings in Berkeley as we speak.