PDA

View Full Version : JWill to be new Duke assistant coach?

Dukehky
04-02-2014, 02:34 PM
Saw a report about Jay Williams talking about the job, and I don't think it's legit, so I removed it.

gus
04-02-2014, 02:45 PM
Saw a report about Jay Williams talking about the job, and I don't think it's legit, so I removed it.

Considering that Jason is the managing partner at Leverage Agency (a sports and media agency), I think bringing him in as an assistant coach would be very problematic.

JasonEvans
04-02-2014, 02:46 PM

Here is the report (http://thebiglead.com/2014/04/02/espns-jay-williams-in-talks-with-duke-blue-devils-about-assistant-coach-opening/). Seems somewhat legit. The Big Lead isn't exactly the NY Times but it ain't the National Enquirer either.

Jay Williams, the former Duke point guard and current ESPN analyst, is in talks with the Blue Devils about an assistant coach opening, two sources tell The Big Lead.

There’s a rumor around the Duke program that Jeff Capel, a current assistant who previously coached at VCU and Oklahoma, could be in the mix for the California Bears head coaching opening.

Would hardly be surprising for Jay to return to K's bench. After all, he was a starting PG for K for a full season. If you do that, you are pretty much assured of being an assistant coach.

Starting with Johnny's freshman year, here are the PGs for K. I am fairly sure this is a complete list, isn't it? All except Hurley, Avery, Duhon, and Paulus have sat next to K in a suit.

Johnny Dawkins - 1983
Tommy Amaker - 1984-87
Quinn Snyder - 1988 - 89
Bobby Hurley - 1990 - 93 NO (though he has been an assistant for his brother's program)
Chris Collins - 1994 (he and Capel sorta shared PG duties, right?)
Jeff Capel - 1994 - 96
Wojo - 1997 - 98
Will Avery - 1999 NO
JWill - 2000 - 02 NOT YET (but in the running)
Duhon - 2003 - 04 NO (but he has been in the NBA)
2005 - no defined PG as Dockery and Ewing shared the position at various times
Greg Paulus - 2006 - 08 NO
Jon Scheyer - 2009 - 10

-Jason "talk about training for a future career!" Evans

Dukehky
04-02-2014, 02:49 PM
I'm not buying it and will be very surprised if this report is true, and shocked if he returns to the bench.

Duvall
04-02-2014, 03:00 PM
Here is the report (http://thebiglead.com/2014/04/02/espns-jay-williams-in-talks-with-duke-blue-devils-about-assistant-coach-opening/). Seems somewhat legit. The Big Lead isn't exactly the NY Times but it ain't the National Enquirer either.

The National Enquirer has a much better track record for accuracy than The Big Lead, to be honest.

Bluedog
04-02-2014, 03:09 PM
The National Enquirer has a much better track record for accuracy than The Big Lead, to be honest.

Considering they say "He’ll [Jwill] announce the McDonald’s All-American game on ESPN Thursday night", I'm inclined to agree.... ;)

Edit: anybody else's Edit button functionality not work properly lately? When I click edit, it brings me to the edit screen, but everything I typed before is completely gone. Tried in both Firefox and IE - has happened for the past couple days.

-jk
04-02-2014, 03:11 PM
Considering they say "He’ll [Jwill] announce the McDonald’s All-American game on ESPN Thursday night", I'm inclined to agree.... ;)

Edit: anybody else's Edit button functionality not work properly lately? When I click edit, it brings me to the edit screen, but everything I typed before is completely gone. Tried in both Firefox and IE - has happened for the past couple days.

Some posts with odd-ball characters (slanted apostrophes and quotes among them) are causing trouble with editing and quoting posts. Usually shows up if someone pastes text in from other sites.

Work around: briefly use the Mobile style (bottom left of page). It doesn't exhibit the same problem.

We're working on it.

-jk

Mike Corey
04-02-2014, 03:14 PM
Jay Williams will not be on the bench for Duke next season.

Matches
04-02-2014, 03:14 PM
If (big if) Capel were to depart, I think it would be imperative to bring in an experienced assistant. Wouldn't be surprised to see K look outside the family in that eventuality.

Troublemaker
04-02-2014, 03:27 PM
Jay Williams will not be on the bench for Duke next season.

Thanks, Mike. I don't think I believe either of those rumors. Jeff is going to Cal to become direct rivals with Johnny at Stanford? That's very un-Duke-family-like. Coach K doesn't even schedule games against assistants...

gotoguy
04-02-2014, 03:29 PM
If (big if) Capel were to depart, I think it would be imperative to bring in an experienced assistant. Wouldn't be surprised to see K look outside the family in that eventuality.

I read somewhere(on this board?) the former UConn coach Jim Calhoun is interested in getting back into coaching. A good X and O's assistant could be a real asset to the program now that Chris is gone.

Karl Beem
04-02-2014, 03:34 PM
I read somewhere(on this board?) the former UConn coach Jim Calhoun is interested in getting back into coaching. A good X and O's assistant could be a real asset to the program now that Chris is gone.

Today is April 2.:rolleyes:

NYBri
04-02-2014, 03:37 PM
I hear Jim Boeheim is thinking of leaving the 'Cuse. Might be a good fit.

sagegrouse
04-02-2014, 03:47 PM
Thanks, Mike. I don't think I believe either of those rumors. Jeff is going to Cal to become direct rivals with Johnny at Stanford? That's very un-Duke-family-like. Coach K doesn't even schedule games against assistants...

If Cal offered Jeff a couple of mill to become head coach, do you think JD's opinion would stand in the way?

It looks like Tommy's, Bobby's, Chris's and JD's successes have led to an increased demand for K assistants.

Troublemaker
04-02-2014, 04:24 PM
If Cal offered Jeff a couple of mill to become head coach, do you think JD's opinion would stand in the way?

I guess if you put it that way... yeah, I guess it's possible Jeff would do it. Probably with Johnny's blessing actually.

Channing
04-02-2014, 04:28 PM
I know he is currently a head coach, so it may be a step down (technically), but any chance Hurley returns to the bench, especially if Capel departs?

CameronBornAndBred
04-02-2014, 04:35 PM

It looks like Tommy's, Bobby's, Chris's and JD's successes have led to an increased demand for K assistants.
I don't think you're wrong. But, others do. I found this yesterday while checking into news of Wojo's hire.

The inconsistent track record of Duke assistants surely is a concern for Marquette fans.
Mike Brey has enjoyed success at Notre Dame and Tommy Amaker has revived his career at Harvard after flopping spectacularly at Michigan, but overall Krzyzewski's coaching tree has a surprising number of withered branches. Quin Snyder resigned after a tumultuous, scandal-tainted tenure at Missouri, Jeff Capel struggled post-Blake Griffin at Oklahoma and Johnny Dawkins went six years before finally making his first NCAA tournament at Stanford this March.

Still, Wojciechowski should be judged on his own accord, not on the success or failures of others who followed a similar path.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/marquette-follows-familiar-strategy--gambles-on-duke-assistant-steve-wojciechowski-153850215.html

sagegrouse
04-02-2014, 05:32 PM
I don't think you're wrong. But, others do. I found this yesterday while checking into news of Wojo's hire.

[/FONT][/COLOR]http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/marquette-follows-familiar-strategy--gambles-on-duke-assistant-steve-wojciechowski-153850215.html[/FONT][/COLOR]

Sounds like lazy sports writers recycling old columns -- not that we would ever do that around here!

CameronBornAndBred
04-02-2014, 05:35 PM
Sounds like lazy sports writers recycling old columns -- not that we would ever do that around here!
Well of course he's lazy, he just spent all his energy trying to spell Wojciechowski and Krzyzewski!

cspan37421
04-02-2014, 08:00 PM
The common narrative of the Coach K coaching tree just chafes me so badly. Even my favorite curmudgeon, Tony K, got it wrong, claiming Tommy A failed at Seton Hall and then failed at Michigan. Well, as I recall, he did well at Seton Hall, and that's how he got the Michigan job. As for Michigan, well, they went on probation as the ink was drying on his contract. He was coaching with one hand tied behind his back, effectively, because of the Fab 5's historic transgressions. It must have been very hard to recruit in that environment, yet he had an overall winning record.

Of course, it's easier and quicker to just say that the coaching tree has failed. So what if it's a little inaccurate ... if it gets ratings, it is by definition right.

Henderson
04-02-2014, 08:24 PM
Considering that Jason is the managing partner at Leverage Agency (a sports and media agency), I think bringing him in as an assistant coach would be very problematic.

I think this comment deserves more consideration. Leverage does represent professional athletes, though I don't know that JWill has done so himself (Leverage does a lot of things related to sports and sports marketing). I suppose if JWill severed all ties there wouldn't be any bar, but having a "former sports agent" on the staff might bring on unwanted commentary. Maybe it's a non-issue, maybe not, but it would need to be thought through.

BTW he's a Managing Partner, of which there are several. They have a separate President and CEO.

Henderson
04-02-2014, 08:44 PM
The common narrative of the Coach K coaching tree just chafes me so badly. Even my favorite curmudgeon, Tony K, got it wrong, claiming Tommy A failed at Seton Hall and then failed at Michigan. Well, as I recall, he did well at Seton Hall, and that's how he got the Michigan job. As for Michigan, well, they went on probation as the ink was drying on his contract. He was coaching with one hand tied behind his back, effectively, because of the Fab 5's historic transgressions. It must have been very hard to recruit in that environment, yet he had an overall winning record.

Of course, it's easier and quicker to just say that the coaching tree has failed. So what if it's a little inaccurate ... if it gets ratings, it is by definition right.

Amen brother.

If the Coach K coaching tree has been unsuccessful, what current (or former) coach has a successful tree? Maybe Bob Knight. :) Larry Brown and Rick Pitino may have better ones (or at least longer ones), but that's not such bad company.

HK Dukie
04-02-2014, 11:01 PM
Really wish it was still april fools so I could troll everyone with....

BOB KNIGHT to replace Wojo!

OldPhiKap
04-02-2014, 11:03 PM
Really wish it was still april fools so I could troll everyone with....

BOB KNIGHT to replace Wojo!

Bob Knight is too short to coach big men.

bedeviled
04-02-2014, 11:26 PM
Fact: As they headed into a commerical break in the middle of the 2nd half of the McDonald's All-American game, Carter Blackburn, who was announcing along with Jay Williams and Jalen Rose, made a statement like, "Jay Williams in the news right now. We'll talk about that in just a moment." However, no mention of it was made after the break or in the remaining quarter of the game.

Speculation: Whatever I/you think that means

J4Kop99
04-02-2014, 11:29 PM
Fact: As they headed into a commerical break in the middle of the 2nd half of the McDonald's All-American game, Carter Blackburn, who was announcing along with Jay Williams and Jalen Rose, made a statement like, "Jay Williams in the news right now. We'll talk about that in just a moment." However, no mention of it was made after the break or in the remaining quarter of the game.

I was about to come in here and ask what they said after the commercial break... that is really weird that they never mentioned it again.

Dukehky
04-02-2014, 11:30 PM

If it was an unfounded rumor, he would have just denied it. So, I think that there must have been something said between K and Jay about this position. To what level? Is there interest? I don't know. I would still be shocked to see him on the bench next year, but I have been swayed to think that there is at least some level of dialogue there at this point.

Henderson
04-02-2014, 11:31 PM
If it was an unfounded rumor, he would have just denied it. So, I think that there must have been something said between K and Jay about this position. To what level? Is there interest? I don't know. I would still be shocked to see him on the bench next year, but I have been swayed to think that there is at least some level of dialogue there at this point.

I'm pretty sure the last words off-mike were, "Shut the $%#@ up."

OldPhiKap
04-02-2014, 11:32 PM
I was about to come in here and ask what they said after the commercial break... that is really weird that they never mentioned it again.

Also wondered if I missed something.

Dukehky
04-02-2014, 11:37 PM
Unfortunately, i think this, like the Jabari decision, is just something we're going to have to wait for. There aren't going to be any super duper insiders who come out with knowledge before something happens. Just gonna have to wait it out. I hate it, they are both toying with my emotions, Jabari specifically, how dare they.

Follow AiRowe or Watzone on twitter, as soon as there is something to know, they'll announce it.

westwall
04-02-2014, 11:37 PM

I heard the ESPN teaser exactly the same way, and now, without a followup, am experiencing . . . . interruptus.

SoCalDukeFan
04-03-2014, 12:39 AM
I just don't see JWill coming back to be an assistant coach at Duke.

He seems to have so much other stuff going on in his life. He seems to enjoy the ESPN gig and I would his other activities.

Of course his jersey is not retired. Maybe he could be an assistant coach, take some classes, get the degree and then hang the jersey.

Actually I give this the some likelihood as I do of K adopting the 5 on 5 sub system for all of the next season.

SoCal

InSpades
04-03-2014, 12:51 AM

He seems to have so much other stuff going on in his life. He seems to enjoy the ESPN gig and I would his other activities.

Of course his jersey is not retired. Maybe he could be an assistant coach, take some classes, get the degree and then hang the jersey.

Actually I give this the some likelihood as I do of K adopting the 5 on 5 sub system for all of the next season.

SoCal

Why do people think his jersey isn't retired?

Henderson
04-03-2014, 12:53 AM

Maybe because Grayson Allen wore it to leap over Jahlil to win the slam dunk contest at the MDAA game?

brevity
04-03-2014, 12:55 AM

Because they don't spend their offseason studying their DBR history (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?30347-22&p=621266#post621266)?

Cameron
04-03-2014, 12:59 AM

SoCal

Wut?

Jason earned a degree in sociology from Duke in three years before moving on to the NBA.

And, as InSpades alluded to, his No. 22 jersey is hanging in Cameron. Unless that is Jay Heaps'...

NashvilleDevil
04-03-2014, 06:50 AM

SoCal

I don't care that three other people have pointed it out. Jason earned his degree and had his jersey retired. Done know who you're thinking of.

sagegrouse
04-03-2014, 07:56 AM

Wut?

Jason earned a degree in sociology from Duke in three years before moving on to the NBA.

And, as InSpades alluded to, his No. 22 jersey is hanging in Cameron. Unless that is Jay Heaps'...

I don't care that three other people have pointed it out. Jason earned his degree and had his jersey retired. Done know who you're thinking of.

In attendance were fellow honorees, Mike Gminski and (maybe) Shane. Every time Jason looked in their direction, they would dab their eyes with a towel and grin broadly, trying to get him to start blubbering

superdave
04-03-2014, 09:43 AM
I saw Grant Hill while walking home from work yesterday. He was coming out of the Hart Senate Office Building. I am guessing he falls into a similar category as Jay Williams - too much going on to get into coaching.

In reply to Rep. Ann Kirkpatrick
grant hill ‏@realgranthill33 15h
Pleasure 2 meet u too"@RepKirkpatrick: Great 2 run into former @Suns @realgranthill33 at the Capitol today! PIC: http://ow.ly/i/56StU #AZ

http://ow.ly/i/56StU

Mike Corey
04-03-2014, 11:53 AM
I saw Grant Hill while walking home from work yesterday. He was coming out of the Hart Senate Office Building. I am guessing he falls into a similar category as Jay Williams - too much going on to get into coaching.

In reply to Rep. Ann Kirkpatrick
grant hill ‏@realgranthill33 15h
Pleasure 2 meet u too"@RepKirkpatrick: Great 2 run into former @Suns @realgranthill33 at the Capitol today! PIC: http://ow.ly/i/56StU #AZ

http://ow.ly/i/56StU

This is great. Thank you for sharing.

CameronBornAndBred
04-03-2014, 11:54 AM
How about The Landlord? He might enjoy being at the end of K's bench more than playing in China. Candace might enjoy working out at Duke's facilities, too. I'm sure the ladies of DWB wouldn't mind her being around.

SupaDave
04-03-2014, 12:19 PM
JWill has definitely got a lot going on. Just got my new GQ and he and JJ are featured in a spread TOGETHER.

SoCalDukeFan
04-03-2014, 12:26 PM
Wut?

I think I misunderstood some comment during the dunk contest.

I now see no reason for Jason to come back to Duke to be a coach unless he wants to get into coaching.

SoCal

The Gordog
04-03-2014, 12:31 PM

SoCal

I thought he had a job working as an agent or for an agency? I can easily imagine him giving up the ESPN gig, but the other stuff? I love Jay but he still seems torn about what to do is always wearing multiple hats. I would hope that if he takes the job K would have a long talk about the length of time he is committing to, but that's just me.

Henderson
04-03-2014, 12:36 PM
I now see no reason for Jason to come back to Duke to be a coach unless he wants to get into coaching.

SoCal

This is the question, right? If he doesn't want to get into coaching, there's no way he would do it. If he wants to get into coaching, there's no way he wouldn't do it (if offered and terms were right, and I don't think they'd be haggling over $).

El_Diablo
04-03-2014, 12:37 PM

SoCal

So...Williams is unlikely to get into coaching unless he wants to get into coaching.

InSpades
04-03-2014, 12:40 PM

SoCal

There was a comment about Shelden having his # retired and Jalen Rose was mockingly upset about it. The 3rd commentator mentioned something about it assuming JWill's # wasn't retired but he too missed out on what Jalen was getting at. I assume Jalen is upset because his # isn't retired at Michigan.

flyingdutchdevil
04-03-2014, 12:42 PM
There was a comment about Shelden having his # retired and Jalen Rose was mockingly upset about it. The 3rd commentator mentioned something about it assuming JWill's # wasn't retired but he too missed out on what Jalen was getting at. I assume Jalen is upset because his # isn't retired at Michigan.

Jalen is upset because he's Jalen.

Jalen doesn't drink booze. Maybe he should start to calm himself down. Works for many of us!

gus
04-03-2014, 12:42 PM
Has this turned into Duke Big Man Bingo yet? I can think of a few names no one's mentioned yet.

David McClure
Lee Melchionni
Patrick Johnson
Reggie Love
Shav Randolph (will he be in the league next year?)
Andre Sweet
Casey Sanders
Andy Borman
Matt Christensen
Taymon Domzalski (have they erected his statue at UVA yet?)
Roshown McLeod
Carmen Wallace
Greg Newton
Erik Meeks (what duke trivia question is he the answer to?)
Chief
Stan Brunson
Tony Moore
Alaa
Robrt Brickey
Marty Nessley (maybe he can help with the recent foul troubles?)

I'm sure I missed a few. Did anyone already suggest g-man or Mark Alarie?

OldPhiKap
04-03-2014, 12:47 PM
Something tells me that Dan Meagher is not under consideration.

Henderson
04-03-2014, 12:47 PM
Has this turned into Duke Big Man Bingo yet? I can think of a few names no one's mentioned yet.

David McClure
Lee Melchionni
Patrick Johnson
Reggie Love
Andre Sweet
Casey Sanders
Andy Borman
Matt Christensen
Roshown McLeod
Carmen Wallace
Greg Newton
Chief
Stan Brunson
Tony Moore
Alaa
Robrt Brickey

There has to be some sort of age cutoff for plausibility. Not sure what it is, but I don't think a 55 year old guy without coaching experience (other than K Academy) is going to want to switch careers like that and become an assistant. Long list of people not in that position though, I have to admit.

FerryFor50
04-03-2014, 12:52 PM

I felt like he was implying that he was a better college player than Shelden was. (Plus Rose is an admitted Duke hater)

Jalen Rose's college stats at UM: 17.5 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 3.9 assists, 3.1 turnovers, .2 blocks, 1.2 steals, 73.8% FT, 46.4% FG, 33.6% 3pt

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/jalen-rose-1.html

Shelden Williams' college stats at Duke: 13.9 ppg, 9.1 rpg, .9 assists, 1.2 steals, 3.0 blocks, 57.2 FG%, 69.4% FT

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/shelden-williams-1.html

Most of the reason Shelden's stats were a bit lower is that he didn't play much in his freshman year as his other years (19 mpg vs ~30mpg his sophomore-senior years).

Williams was a two time DPOY and a one-time first team all-american. Rose only made 2nd team AA once.

I'd say that Williams' career was more illustrious than Rose's.

FerryFor50
04-03-2014, 12:53 PM

David McClure
Lee Melchionni
Patrick Johnson
Reggie Love
Andre Sweet
Casey Sanders
Andy Borman
Matt Christensen
Roshown McLeod
Carmen Wallace
Greg Newton
Chief
Stan Brunson
Tony Moore
Alaa
Robrt Brickey

I vote for Patrick Davidson to coach the bigs.

El_Diablo
04-03-2014, 12:55 PM
I'm sure I missed a few.

SoCalDukeFan
04-03-2014, 01:04 PM
This is the question, right? If he doesn't want to get into coaching, there's no way he would do it. If he wants to get into coaching, there's no way he wouldn't do it (if offered and terms were right, and I don't think they'd be haggling over $).

If JWill really wants to get into coaching, why now? Why not several years ago?

Maybe if he did not like what he was doing now but he seems to enjoy it and I think the money is good.

I do think he has or had a home in Durham.

Hard for me to see him giving up ESPN and his other activities to become an assistant coach when he could have started a coaching career several years ago.

SoCal

NashvilleDevil
04-03-2014, 01:30 PM
If JWill really wants to get into coaching, why now? Why not several years ago?

Maybe if he did not like what he was doing now but he seems to enjoy it and I think the money is good.

I do think he has or had a home in Durham.

Hard for me to see him giving up ESPN and his other activities to become an assistant coach when he could have started a coaching career several years ago.

SoCal

Hubert Davis just did it.

superdave
04-03-2014, 01:37 PM
I trust that whoever Coach K picks, they will be the right guy with the right skills for this stage. But if my opinion mattered, I'd argue for Antonio Lang.

High School Valedictorian
Significant contributor all 4 years at Duke
Spent 6 seasons in the NBA
Journeyman in the CBA, Phillipines and Japan
Assistant Coach, Mitsubishi Diamond Dolphins 2006-2010
Head Coach, Mitsubishi Diamond Dolphins 2010-present

That's a wide range of experience and would bring a significant amount of non-Duke perspective. Plus, he may want to come home. And he's tall.

Rich
04-03-2014, 01:55 PM

Except even Coach K can't change the fact that due to conference consolidation Duke plays against former assistant Mike Brey at least once each season.

InSpades
04-03-2014, 03:31 PM
I felt like he was implying that he was a better college player than Shelden was. (Plus Rose is an admitted Duke hater)

Jalen Rose's college stats at UM: 17.5 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 3.9 assists, 3.1 turnovers, .2 blocks, 1.2 steals, 73.8% FT, 46.4% FG, 33.6% 3pt

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/jalen-rose-1.html

Shelden Williams' college stats at Duke: 13.9 ppg, 9.1 rpg, .9 assists, 1.2 steals, 3.0 blocks, 57.2 FG%, 69.4% FT

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/shelden-williams-1.html

Most of the reason Shelden's stats were a bit lower is that he didn't play much in his freshman year as his other years (19 mpg vs ~30mpg his sophomore-senior years).

Williams was a two time DPOY and a one-time first team all-american. Rose only made 2nd team AA once.

I'd say that Williams' career was more illustrious than Rose's.

I had the same thoughts. Jalen brought it up like "if Shelden gets his # retired by Duke then there's no way my # shouldn't be retired by Michigan". The 3rd announcer thought the outrage was that JWill wasn't retired as well but JWill quickly corrected him about that. Jalen was very good from his freshman year... while Shelden improved greatly every year at Duke. Looking at career averages maybe they are similar level players but Jalen never had a year like Shelden's senior year. If you round up a bit you get to 19 points, 11 rebounds, 4 blocks and 2 steals. That's a MONSTER year. That's basically Jabari's offense/rebounding while being the best defensive player in the country. Obviously they were very different offensive players but the #s are comparable. Shelden was a beast.

luburch
04-03-2014, 03:38 PM
Jalen is upset because he's Jalen.

Jalen doesn't drink booze. Maybe he should start to calm himself down. Works for many of us!

Unless Jalen recently became sober, he does actually drink. There's pictures of him drinking with students at IU when he went there for College GameDay.

Cameron
04-03-2014, 03:55 PM
Unless Jalen recently became sober, he does actually drink. There's pictures of him drinking with students at IU when he went there for College GameDay.

He also received a DUI a couple of years ago for which he spent 20 days in jail. At the time, there was speculation he had a problem.

As a big Pacers fan growing up, despite his attitude toward Duke, I always enjoyed watching Jalen play in the NBA. Hopefully he has conquered any problems he may have had.

cspan37421
04-03-2014, 06:55 PM

Oh, and another one- I think it was well known among us that when JD arrived at Stanford, the cupboard was bare. Normally that calls for a few years of recruits before you give up on a guy, though these days some like Calipari can just reload very quickly. But a first-time HC, not likely to be able to do that. Still, at this point, the program is clearly his, so hopefully his full coaching talents will continue to do us proud.

Quinn had good success at Missouri before something was clearly rotten in Denmark. He's continued to do well working with the pros.

This is not to say that Coach K has the most successful coaching tree of all time ... just that it's not bad at all, and some of the rougher patches encountered by higher profile members are pretty explainable. I don't know enough about Brickey at Shaw or Henderson and Delaware to explain those, though. There may be no good excuse, for all I know. But I do chafe at hearing Amaker and Dawkins run down, given the hands they were dealt.

NashvilleDevil
04-03-2014, 07:13 PM
Oh, and another one- I think it was well known among us that when JD arrived at Stanford, the cupboard was bare. Normally that calls for a few years of recruits before you give up on a guy, though these days some like Calipari can just reload very quickly. But a first-time HC, not likely to be able to do that. Still, at this point, the program is clearly his, so hopefully his full coaching talents will continue to do us proud.

Quinn had good success at Missouri before something was clearly rotten in Denmark. He's continued to do well working with the pros.

This is not to say that Coach K has the most successful coaching tree of all time ... just that it's not bad at all, and some of the rougher patches encountered by higher profile members are pretty explainable. I don't know enough about Brickey at Shaw or Henderson and Delaware to explain those, though. There may be no good excuse, for all I know. But I do chafe at hearing Amaker and Dawkins run down, given the hands they were dealt.

Tough to be the most successful tree of all time when you're a branch from the most successful tree of all time.

camion
04-04-2014, 07:24 AM
A couple of ifs.

If Jason did come back to coach we would have the K and J on the bench. MIB (Men in Blue).

If Tyler Thornton moved to the bench to start his coaching career and became big man coach. OMG!!

LobstersPinchPinch
04-04-2014, 02:23 PM
A couple of ifs.

If Jason did come back to coach we would have the K and J on the bench. MIB (Men in Blue).

If Tyler Thornton moved to the bench to start his coaching career and became big man coach. OMG!!

Considering we're revamping with a several new starters in the lineup - not to mention ensuring last year doesn't reoccur - and Coach K has commitments outside of Duke this summer, we need experienced coaches, not another newby.

MCFinARL
04-16-2014, 09:50 PM
Not sure if this is the best thread for this or if it needs a new one. According to Jeff Goodman, retweeting Laura Keeley, on twitter, Jon Scheyer was introduced at the banquet tonight as the new assistant coach.

Cameron
04-16-2014, 10:33 PM
Not sure if this is the best thread for this or if it needs a new one. According to Jeff Goodman, retweeting Laura Keeley, on twitter, Jon Scheyer was introduced at the banquet tonight as the new assistant coach.

Excellent choice.

Glad to hear Jonny will be a presence on the Duke bench for years to come. One of my all-time special favorites, right there with Collins, Duhon, J.J. and Andre. Those are my guys.

DukeFanSince1990
04-17-2014, 08:17 AM
A couple of ifs.

This must happen now.

Troublemaker
04-17-2014, 09:37 AM
Hmmm, I would still like to see an official statement released on goduke.

Keeley's tweet was the following:

Laura Keeley ‏@laurakeeley (https://twitter.com/laurakeeley) 13h (https://twitter.com/laurakeeley/status/456576168099991552) Jon Scheyer introduced as an assistant coach here at the #Duke (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Duke&src=hash) banquet

-------------

That could mean anything. Did somebody merely refer to him as an assistant leaving off the word "special"?

Jon's status has not changed on the coaches page on goduke: http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPID=1845&SPSID=22725
(http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPID=1845&SPSID=22725)
Still listed as "special assistant"

flyingdutchdevil
04-17-2014, 09:39 AM

Laura Keeley ‏@laurakeeley (https://twitter.com/laurakeeley) 13h (https://twitter.com/laurakeeley/status/456576168099991552) Jon Scheyer introduced as an assistant coach here at the #Duke (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Duke&src=hash) banquet

-------------

That could mean anything. Did somebody merely refer to him as an assistant leaving off the word "special"?

Jon's status has not changed on the coaches page on goduke: http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPID=1845&SPSID=22725

Is Jon the younger Duke assistant coach under K? He's, what, 26? Damn...

MCFinARL
04-17-2014, 10:06 AM

-------------

(http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPID=1845&SPSID=22725)
Still listed as "special assistant"

I see your point, although I would guess Keeley should know the difference between "assistant coach" and "assistant" in this case.
And Adam Rowe, who should also know the difference, tweeted the following from the banquet:

Here @Duke_MBB banquet. @jonscheyer first #Duke Assistant Coach to present awards.

Twitterverse now predictably full of follow up tweets including one that says Scheyer was named the "top assistant," replacing Wojo, which surely has no basis in fact.

But you are right that there has apparently been no official statement or confirmation of this. So I guess we will wait and see.

msdukie
04-17-2014, 07:32 PM

GoDuke.com (which has removed Wojo) still lists Capel as "Associate Coach" and Nate as "Assistant Coach" and Jon as "Special Assistant" - so no official changes yet. I would expect a release from Duke if/when it becomes official.

Son of Jarhead
04-17-2014, 08:59 PM

Yes, that is exactly what happened. Bob Harris simply introduced him as an assistant coach. I didn't take it to have any significance.

Of course, I do think it is possible that Jon could just move up to full assistant. Just have to wait and see what happens.