PDA

View Full Version : 2 ACC teams in Women's Final Four

CameronBornAndBred
04-02-2014, 11:14 AM
It could actually have been three, but thankfully Stanford beat the Heels. :D
Outgoing Maryland beat incoming Louisville for one berth, and ND fills the other spot. Both will face each other to play in the championship game. I'm pulling for ND to keep their winning streak alive.

dukelifer
04-02-2014, 11:56 AM
It could actually have been three, but thankfully Stanford beat the Heels. :D
Outgoing Maryland beat incoming Louisville for one berth, and ND fills the other spot. Both will face each other to play in the championship game. I'm pulling for ND to keep their winning streak alive.

ND lost their forward Natalie Achonwa to an ACL. 15pts and 8 rebounds is a lot to lose. Looks like it is UConn's tourney yet again.

MCFinARL
04-02-2014, 12:02 PM
ND lost their forward Natalie Achonwa to an ACL. 15pts and 8 rebounds is a lot to lose. Looks like it is UConn's tourney yet again.

Yes, this is just a shame on every level--terrible way for Achonwa to end her college career, terrible situation for the team, which has to figure out how to reinvent itself at the last possible minute, and potentially terrible for the quality of the Final Four games, especially the championship, since Notre Dame has really been the only team to consistently challenge UConn of late. Could have been a really terrific final--may still be, but the chances are significantly reduced.

Here is a Turtle
04-02-2014, 02:14 PM
Definitely bummed about Notre Dame losing Natalie Achonwa to injury. Never want to see someone go down to an ACL. As for the game itself, I thought Maryland had a decent shot with the way they've been playing even with Notre Dame at full strength. We only lost by 4 against Notre Dame the last time. I was hoping that Maryland could beat them and leave Tennessee and Louisville fans (who have been complaining about the refs since they lost and not Tennessee falling behind by double digits 5 minutes in or Louisville's 21 turnovers), but looks like even if we win, another team will be complaining about what if.

UConn is on a whole different level. I'm not sure that the game would be competitive regardless of who wins between ND-MD. Maryland kept it close for a half, then everyone except Alyssa Thomas went cold. The team is much better now, but the problem is, so are they.

MCFinARL
04-02-2014, 02:27 PM
Definitely bummed about Notre Dame losing Natalie Achonwa to injury. Never want to see someone go down to an ACL. As for the game itself, I thought Maryland had a decent shot with the way they've been playing even with Notre Dame at full strength. We only lost by 4 against Notre Dame the last time. I was hoping that Maryland could beat them and leave Tennessee and Louisville fans (who have been complaining about the refs since they lost and not Tennessee falling behind by double digits 5 minutes in or Louisville's 21 turnovers), but looks like even if we win, another team will be complaining about what if.

UConn is on a whole different level. I'm not sure that the game would be competitive regardless of who wins between ND-MD. Maryland kept it close for a half, then everyone except Alyssa Thomas went cold. The team is much better now, but the problem is, so are they.

I agree Maryland might have had a shot at a full-strength Notre Dame--the Terps have seemingly been a bit inconsistent this year but when they play their best they are a very good team. I also agree, in general, that UConn is on a level of their own; nevertheless, Notre Dame had consistently beaten them--3 times last season, and in the previous year's NCAA tournament, as well as a couple of other times--until last year's Final Four game, when UConn won by 18 points. I'm not sure even full-strength Notre Dame could have challenged them this year, but it would have been interesting to see them try.

Here is a Turtle
04-02-2014, 03:56 PM
It's crazy how good they've been all year.

Connecticut's closest games this season -

11 points @ Baylor (66-55)
15 points vs Texas A&M (69-54)
17 points @ Maryland (72-55)
17 points vs Louisville (81-64)
19 points vs Stanford (76-57)
19 points vs BYU (70-51)
19 points @ Penn State (71-52)

It's ridiculous how many quality teams they've blown out - home and away.

miramar
04-02-2014, 04:46 PM

#4 Louisville +17 & 20
#5 Baylor +11
#6 Stanford +19
#9 Duke +22
#11 Maryland +17
#14 PSU +19
#24 Cal +33

That's a margin of approximately 20 points vs. ranked teams.

CameronBornAndBred
04-02-2014, 04:46 PM
It's crazy how good they've been all year.

Connecticut's closest games this season -

11 points @ Baylor (66-55)
15 points vs Texas A&M (69-54)
17 points @ Maryland (72-55)
17 points vs Louisville (81-64)
19 points vs Stanford (76-57)
19 points vs BYU (70-51)
19 points @ Penn State (71-52)

The BYU game was their third tourney game, and at halftime UCONN was only up by one point. What a horrible tease for the BYU team and fans, to spend the second half dreaming of what could have been. They might not always play two halves of great ball, but as you pointed out, the end result is crazy.

dukelifer
04-06-2014, 07:49 PM

Notre Dame not going out easily. Up 20 over Maryland with 15 to go

Here is a Turtle
04-07-2014, 01:07 PM
Notre Dame not going out easily. Up 20 over Maryland with 15 to go

Notre Dame took it to Maryland. No doubt about it. Looks like we get the two undefeated teams going at it. Should be an interesting game tomorrow.

dukelifer
04-07-2014, 03:10 PM
Notre Dame took it to Maryland. No doubt about it. Looks like we get the two undefeated teams going at it. Should be an interesting game tomorrow.

Not sure ND has enough against UConn. UConn is at another level- but ND knows how to play them.

uh_no
04-07-2014, 03:53 PM
Not sure ND has enough against UConn. UConn is at another level- but ND knows how to play them.

uconn has been starting very slowly for 3 games now and hasn't looked well all tournament....stewart has been playing pretty average-ly as well...i don't think ND has enough to counter stewart and dolson....but uconn hasn't been bringing their A game.

hope for a good one.