PDA

View Full Version : 2014 McDonald's All American Game

Ichabod Drain
03-31-2014, 10:55 AM
All four of Duke's 2014 commits will be participating in the MDAA game this year. The Dunk contest is tonight at 9 pm on ESPNU. The actual game is Wednesday at 9:30PM on ESPN.

Here's the list of events and participants leading up to Wednesday nights game.

THREE-POINT SHOOTOUT
1. Kevon Looney
2. Rashad Vaughn
3. Devin Booker
4. Myles Turner
5. Melo Trimble
6. D’Angelo Russell
7. Justin Jackson
8. Isaiah Whitehead
9. James Blackmon
10. Stanley Johnson
11. Grayson Allen
12. Karl Towns
13. Tyler Ullis

SKILLS CONTEST
1. Joel Berry II
2. Tyus Jones
3. Justise WInslow
4. Jahlil Okafor
5. Theo Pinson
6. Tyler Ullis
7. Devin Booker
8. Stanley Johnson
9. Karl-Anthony Towns
10. James Blackmon

SLAM DUNK CONTEST
1. Justise Winslow
2. Aja Wilson
3. Kelly Oubre
4. Grayson Allen
5. Karl Towns Jr.
6. Stanley Johnson
7. Theo Pinson
8. Cliff Alexander

GGLC
03-31-2014, 11:12 AM
Grayson has to be a strong contender for the dunk contest.

Good luck to all our guys in these contests and in the game itself!

(And it's Justise, not Justice. Guy's already one of my favorite Duke players, so we should probably spell his name correctly. ;) )

Ichabod Drain
03-31-2014, 11:18 AM
Grayson has to be a strong contender for the dunk contest.

Good luck to all our guys in these contests and in the game itself!

(And it's Justise, not Justice. Guy's already one of my favorite Duke players, so we should probably spell his name correctly. ;) )

Correct on Justise, I just copied and pasted.

And it should be interesting to see how Jahlil does in the skills competition...

FerryFor50
03-31-2014, 11:20 AM
Interesting to me that Karl Towns is in the slam dunk *and* 3 point shooting competition. He's a 7 footer! Kentucky might have snagged a good one there...

UrinalCake
03-31-2014, 11:39 AM
Interesting to me that Karl Towns is in the slam dunk *and* 3 point shooting competition. He's a 7 footer! Kentucky might have snagged a good one there...

Myles Turner is in the three point contest too. Can someone say "stretch four"?

1999ballboy
03-31-2014, 11:39 AM
Alright, just how many basketball players named Devin Booker are there??

Karl Towns isn't the only big man in the 3-point contest- Myles Turner is there too. I remind myself that we'll be fine without him and he's likely to sign elsewhere, but I love what I hear about Turner's game. Sounds like a more stronger, more physical Ryan Kelly. Looking forward to watching him.

FerryFor50
03-31-2014, 11:41 AM

Karl Towns isn't the only big man in the 3-point contest- Myles Turner is there too. I remind myself that we'll be fine without him and he's likely to sign elsewhere, but I love what I hear about Turner's game. Sounds like a more stronger, more physical Ryan Kelly. Looking forward to watching him.

Right, but Towns is in the dunk *and* 3pt contest. That means he can shoot and is probably pretty athletic.

I'm reserving my excitement for Turner until he commits. ;)

gumbomoop
03-31-2014, 11:53 AM
And it should be interesting to see how Jahlil does in the skills competition...

I'm intrigued that both Jahlil and Justise are in the skills competition. It suggests that both have, or think they have, strong handle and good footwork. [I already know Tyus is good there.]. Doubt that TV will show all contestants in the skills, but I'd be more interested in seeing these 2 in this competition than our other guys in the flashier stuff.

MCFinARL
03-31-2014, 12:19 PM

At least two, and then there is Devon Bookert. Sometimes you can't tell the players even WITH a scorecard.

BD80
03-31-2014, 12:21 PM
... (And it's Justise, not Justice. Guy's already one of my favorite Duke players, so we should probably spell his name correctly. ;) )

Fighting for Justice? Justise?

FerryFor50
03-31-2014, 12:27 PM
One day, maybe we can rename Cameron Indoor to the "Hall of Justise"...

CDu
03-31-2014, 12:37 PM

Towns appears to be in all three competitions (dunk, 3pt, and skill), unless there is another Karl Towns who is also a McDonald's All-American.

FerryFor50
03-31-2014, 12:39 PM
Towns appears to be in all three competitions (dunk, 3pt, and skill), unless there is another Karl Towns who is also a McDonald's All-American.

Good catch. Even more impressive.

gumbomoop
03-31-2014, 12:59 PM

Three different guys: Karl Towns, Karl-Anthony Towns, and Karl Towns, Jr.

Means one of two things: Towns has a sense of humor, or Cal has a really big [......] class coming in.

roywhite
03-31-2014, 02:58 PM
I'll skip the usual disclaimers about the McD game -- it's sloppy, they don't play defense, can't tell how some guys will play in a team structure, etc.

Yeah, that's true, but I welcome this game and the associated practice reports, dunk contests, etc.
Gives us some positive things to talk about after the recent "unpleasantness" in the NCAA Tournament.

Bring it on, guys. Let's see the next generation of Duke stars!

Okafor -- can he score effectively vs other bigs who are also tall and talented?
Tyus Jones -- can he make plays even in a loose format like this? What is his shooting range?
Justise Winslow -- how does he look matched up against players who might range from 6'4" to 6'8"?
Grayson Allen -- is he ready to contribute as a freshman? possible Slam Dunk winner?

How do the Duke guys look vs UNC and UK's Burger Boys?

brevity
03-31-2014, 03:20 PM

Too bad "Gleek" means something entirely different right now.

Troublemaker
03-31-2014, 04:06 PM

Justise will make the ACC his league. I hear Tyus and Jahlil are super friends. It's been speculated opposing fans will say, "I hate that ----, Grayson."

MCFinARL
03-31-2014, 04:21 PM
Three different guys: Karl Towns, Karl-Anthony Towns, and Karl Towns, Jr.

Means one of two things: Towns has a sense of humor, or Cal has a really big [......] class coming in.

Hilarious--is this sort of like Puff Daddy, P-Diddy, and Sean Combs?

Or Snoop Dogg, Snoop Lion, and Calvin Broadus?

Some personalities are just too big for a single name.

Double DD
03-31-2014, 04:46 PM
Right, but Towns is in the dunk *and* 3pt contest. That means he can shoot and is probably pretty athletic.

I'm reserving my excitement for Turner until he commits. ;)

It's actually strange that Towns is in the dunk contest instead of Turner. Turner's the one known for being an explosive leaper, while Towns tends to be labelled as a good athlete but not dunk contest level.

OnToTheNextOne
03-31-2014, 05:49 PM
Just saw this posted and thought I would share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpfHHAUOKko

dukelifer
03-31-2014, 06:42 PM

Kid has a soft jumper. That is hard to teach.

gumbomoop
03-31-2014, 06:44 PM

Best thing I see is that twice in this clip, he dribbled inside the 3-line for a pull-up jumper. Good handle, sudden stop, big elevation, smooth shot.

Duke76
03-31-2014, 08:41 PM
Kid has a soft jumper. That is hard to teach.

his shot looks a lot like Mike Dunleavy kinda moves like him too....IMo it those 4 starting and pick one, Rasheed i guess...

Troublemaker
03-31-2014, 09:08 PM
Tyus wins Skills Competition.

Troublemaker
03-31-2014, 09:29 PM
Grayson finishes 3rd and Myles Turner 4th in 3-pt-shooting competition

DeBlueDevil
03-31-2014, 09:35 PM
Did anyone else here Jay Williams say "Rodney Hood is going to the NBA" while Grayson was shooting in the 3pt contest?! Jalen was poking fun about breaking news regarding Jabari and I think I heard Jay say something like "no breaking news but Rodney Hood is leaving"

gumbomoop
03-31-2014, 09:35 PM
Tyus wins Skills Competition.

Tyus no different from the others in this regard, but I wasn't aware that palming was a skill. Might as well simply let them carry the ball -- literally -- around the barriers. My recollection is too vague, but have they always been allowed to palm/carry rather than fast dribble, the actual skill?

gumbomoop
03-31-2014, 09:39 PM
Did anyone else here Jay Williams say "Rodney Hood is going to the NBA" while Grayson was shooting in the 3pt contest?! Jalen was poking fun about breaking news regarding Jabari and I think I heard Jay say something like "no breaking news but Rodney Hood is leaving"

I think I heard the words, "We know Hood is leaving."

FerryFor50
03-31-2014, 10:14 PM
If you didn't think Jay Williams was a turncoat before, he just helped UNC recruit Theo Pinson in his dunk competition by letting him dunk over him and then posing with a UNC sweatshirt.

Grr.

Trey21
03-31-2014, 10:14 PM
This incoming class seems like a whole lot of fun. Nice diversity in skill and in personality we all knew this prior to tonight but we are really seeing tonight. Justise Winslow might be a fan favorite. And come on Jay don't let them boys from Carolina treat you like that.

Furniture
03-31-2014, 10:21 PM
If you didn't think Jay Williams was a turncoat before, he just helped UNC recruit Theo Pinson in his dunk competition by letting him dunk over him and then posing with a UNC sweatshirt.

Grr.

Some of you guys take this too seriously.

MCFinARL
03-31-2014, 10:25 PM
Grayson Allen just dunked by jumping over Justise Winslow AND Tyus Jones.

FerryFor50
03-31-2014, 10:28 PM

He's jumped over 4 people before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EHhp4J8bho

MCFinARL
He's jumped over 4 people before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EHhp4J8bho

Yowzah!

Duke76

pretty stout winning at the halfway point all the judges gave him tens

devilnfla
Any chance his last attempt will be to jump over Big Oak?

Dukehky
03-31-2014, 10:29 PM
This moron play by play guy keeps saying that Grayson is known as a shooter. His strengths on every recruiting website are ball handling and athletic ability with a workable jump shot.

Jay isn't really in a position to say no to a high school kid who wants to jump over him. Also, for the most part, players only care about the rivalry when the game is going on now a days. We take it far more seriously. If that kid had wanted to jump over me I would have let him try and then just run away as he got close, wasting 15 seconds of his dunk time. Also, I would bet a ton of guys at this game can jump over a six foot guard.

Good job Grayson.

FerryFor50
03-31-2014, 10:30 PM
He's also dunked over two 6'8" dudes before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z9JCA0fkdE

Dukehky
03-31-2014, 10:33 PM
They are also saying things like "no one expected this from Allen."

Well, he's come in pretty legendary for his dunking already.

As for the rivalry between UNC and Duke, it *used* to matter to the players. But now, with stuff like this, AAU, etc.. all these guys know and like each other. Kind of muddies the rivalry.

As for Jay being in no position? He's an All-American and NPOY at Duke, and a former NBA first rounder. He has a little bit of clout if he wanted to say no. ;)

You're right, but then he looks petty and a guy who takes everything way to seriously. I would have been SHOCKED if he said no. He coulda thrown the sweat shirt away though....

FerryFor50
03-31-2014, 10:33 PM
This moron play by play guy keeps saying that Grayson is known as a shooter. His strengths on every recruiting website are ball handling and athletic ability with a workable jump shot.

Jay isn't really in a position to say no to a high school kid who wants to jump over him. Also, for the most part, players only care about the rivalry when the game is going on now a days. We take it far more seriously. If that kid had wanted to jump over me I would have let him try and then just run away as he got close, wasting 15 seconds of his dunk time. Also, I would bet a ton of guys at this game can jump over a six foot guard.

Good job Grayson.

They are also saying things like "no one expected this from Allen."

Well, he's come in pretty legendary for his dunking already.

As for the rivalry between UNC and Duke, it *used* to matter to the players. But now, with stuff like this, AAU, etc.. all these guys know and like each other. Kind of muddies the rivalry.

As for Jay being in no position? He's an All-American and NPOY at Duke, and a former NBA first rounder. He has a little bit of clout if he wanted to say no. ;)

FerryFor50
03-31-2014, 10:35 PM
Yup. Just because you're a good athlete doesn't mean you play. Look at Semi. I think Grayson is far more likely to get run than Semi was last year though.

It's going to come down to defense. If Allen can defend at a D-1 level in his freshman year, then he has a shot to play a bit.

However, I doubt that happens.

Also, how does a 7 footer that hasn't really done anything REAL impressive on his dunks score so high? He's friggin 7 feet tall!

FerryFor50
03-31-2014, 10:37 PM
Allen brought out the Jay Williams jersey!

And dunks over Okafor in the Duke hat. Winner!

Jbsherr DUKE!
03-31-2014, 10:40 PM
Wow just wow!!!

dukelifer
03-31-2014, 10:40 PM
Allen brought out the Jay Williams jersey!

And dunks over Okafor in the Duke hat. Winner!

Kid has moxie. Will be hard to keep him out of the lineup.

Ichabod Drain
03-31-2014, 10:41 PM
Let's...

Go....

Duke!!!!

InSpades
03-31-2014, 10:42 PM
Kid has moxie. Will be hard to keep him out of the lineup.

The Crazies might riot if he doesn't get on the court. K might want to keep that in mind when deciding playing time :).

Super impressive. We knew he could dunk 'cause we all saw his videos. But to see him do it live is another thing. He was very impressive... took very few attempts and made Pinson look kind of silly when he had to jump over Jay Williams :P.

Furniture
03-31-2014, 10:43 PM
That was the most fun I have had watching basketball for sometime and boy do we have a great bunch of kids coming in next year. This is a hell of a recruiting class....
That last dunk from Grayson was big time cool. Jay W clearly enjoyed it too!

Newton_14
03-31-2014, 10:54 PM
I'll skip the usual disclaimers about the McD game -- it's sloppy, they don't play defense, can't tell how some guys will play in a team structure, etc.

Yeah, that's true, but I welcome this game and the associated practice reports, dunk contests, etc.
Gives us some positive things to talk about after the recent "unpleasantness" in the NCAA Tournament.

Bring it on, guys. Let's see the next generation of Duke stars!

Okafor -- can he score effectively vs other bigs who are also tall and talented?
Tyus Jones -- can he make plays even in a loose format like this? What is his shooting range?
Justise Winslow -- how does he look matched up against players who might range from 6'4" to 6'8"?
Grayson Allen -- is he ready to contribute as a freshman? possible Slam Dunk winner?

How do the Duke guys look vs UNC and UK's Burger Boys?

Totally agree on the bold Roy, so I will remind folks again, if you want to see if these guys can ball or not, you have to watch the Nike Hoop Summit game. I know you only get to see about roughly half of the burger boys in that game but for sure Tyus and Okafor will be in it. Not sure about Winslow. They play real basketball in that game. Real team offense, and real team defense. Easily my favorite High School All-Star game.

gumbomoop
03-31-2014, 11:05 PM
Totally agree on the bold Roy, so I will remind folks again, if you want to see if these guys can ball or not, you have to watch the Nike Hoop Summit game. I know you only get to see about roughly half of the burger boys in that game but for sure Tyus and Okafor will be in it. Not sure about Winslow. They play real basketball in that game. Real team offense, and real team defense. Easily my favorite High School All-Star game.

Here's US roster for Nike Hoop Summit. Game is Sat April 12, 7 EDT, I think, one of ESPN networks.

USA Roster 2014

PLAYER NAME POSITION HEIGHT / WEIGHT DATE OF BIRTH HIGH SCHOOL / COLLEGE HOMETOWN
Cliff Alexander F 6-9 / 230 November 16, 1995 Curie Metropolitan H.S. / Kansas* Chicago, IL
Joel Berry II G 6-1 / 185 April 1, 1995 Lake Highland Prep School / North Carolina* Apopka, FL
James Blackmon, Jr. G 6-2 / 175 April 24, 1995 Marian H.S. / Indiana* Fort Wayne, IN
Stanley Johnson F 6-7 / 226 May 29, 1996 Mater Dei H.S. / Arizona* Fullerton, CA
Tyus Jones G 6-0 / 171 May 10, 1996 Apple Valley H.S. / Duke* Apple Valley, MN
Jahlil Okafor C 6-10 / 260 December 15, 1995 Whitney Young H.S. / Duke* Chicago, IL
Kelly Oubre F 6-7 / 190 December 9, 1995 Findlay Prep (NV) / Kansas* Fort Bend, TX
Theo Pinson F 6-6 / 185 November 5, 1995 Wesleyan Christian Academy / North Carolina* Greensboro, NC
Myles Turner C 6-11 / 240 March 24, 1996 Trinity H.S. / Undecided Bedford, TX
Justise Winslow F 6-6 / 210 March 26, 1996 St. John’s School / Duke* Houston, TX
Reid Travis C 6-7 / 215 November 25, 1995 DeLaSalle H.S. / Stanford*

1 24 90
03-31-2014, 11:05 PM

http://www.nikehoopsummit.com/

Yes, Justise is playing too.

Grayson was awesome tonight!

roywhite
03-31-2014, 11:09 PM

Yeah, the Nike Hoop Summit is a good one, and it's coming up on April 12.

And, yes, Justise Winslow is also on the USA squad along with Jahlil Okafor and Tyus Jones. I don't think Grayson Allen will be playing, but he may just jump over the fence and crash the game.:)

Nike Hoop Summit site, with rosters (http://www.nikehoopsummit.com/)

sagegrouse
03-31-2014, 11:21 PM

Grr.

He's paid a lot of money by ESPN to report on and analyze hoops. Where does it say he can only wear Duke stuff?

LobstersPinchPinch
04-01-2014, 12:27 AM
Here's a recap of today's practices. Both Tyus and Grayson get positive mentions. http://hoopniks.com/mcdonalds-all-american-monday-practice-recap/

I'm especially excited to see what Tyus can do. I expect similar handle, passing, and defense (or lack thereof) to Kyrie, but perhaps not as good a shooter. Like Kyrie in his limited time on court, I expect Tyus to make all of our guys look better.

Loved the camaraderie of all 4 guys tonight. I think Turner is very much a long shot, but if he's still actively considering us, I gotta think he was impressed with how tight the guys are. How sick would it be to have him at the 4?

dukelifer
04-01-2014, 07:25 AM
Some players are ready for prime time and some are not. Allen showed he is not afraid to show off. I remember watching JJ light it up in the McDonald's Game and thinking that he was going to be special. Who knows how Allen will develop but he likes the moment and is very confident in his abilities. As much of this game is mental- those are very good quality to have. He will push those other guards.

The Gordog
04-01-2014, 08:03 AM

Good job Grayson.

SoundsLike Henderson When He Arrived. Can We Call Hi G2?

CharlestonDevil
04-01-2014, 10:45 AM
He's paid a lot of money by ESPN to report on and analyze hoops. Where does it say he can only wear Duke stuff?

In the rafters of Cameron...

MCFinARL
04-01-2014, 11:12 AM
Here's US roster for Nike Hoop Summit. Game is Sat April 12, 7 EDT, I think, one of ESPN networks.

USA Roster 2014

PLAYER NAME POSITION HEIGHT / WEIGHT DATE OF BIRTH HIGH SCHOOL / COLLEGE HOMETOWN
Cliff Alexander F 6-9 / 230 November 16, 1995 Curie Metropolitan H.S. / Kansas* Chicago, IL
Joel Berry II G 6-1 / 185 April 1, 1995 Lake Highland Prep School / North Carolina* Apopka, FL
James Blackmon, Jr. G 6-2 / 175 April 24, 1995 Marian H.S. / Indiana* Fort Wayne, IN
Stanley Johnson F 6-7 / 226 May 29, 1996 Mater Dei H.S. / Arizona* Fullerton, CA
Tyus Jones G 6-0 / 171 May 10, 1996 Apple Valley H.S. / Duke* Apple Valley, MN
Jahlil Okafor C 6-10 / 260 December 15, 1995 Whitney Young H.S. / Duke* Chicago, IL
Kelly Oubre F 6-7 / 190 December 9, 1995 Findlay Prep (NV) / Kansas* Fort Bend, TX
Theo Pinson F 6-6 / 185 November 5, 1995 Wesleyan Christian Academy / North Carolina* Greensboro, NC
Myles Turner C 6-11 / 240 March 24, 1996 Trinity H.S. / Undecided Bedford, TX
Justise Winslow F 6-6 / 210 March 26, 1996 St. John’s School / Duke* Houston, TX
Reid Travis C 6-7 / 215 November 25, 1995 DeLaSalle H.S. / Stanford*

Above quote is from Gumbomoop; it wouldn't let me reply in the normal way for some reason.

I am quite interested to see Reid Travis on this roster. He's obviously a solid player but the lowest ranked one on this list, and some higher ranked players were skipped. Can someone who knows more about the Hoop Summit shed some light here? Is he a strong defensive player, or an especially good/coachable team player? Is it because of the position he plays (I see him listed here as a C although on the ESPN website he is listed as a PF)? Or do some players decline the opportunity to play in the Hoop Summit?

FerryFor50
04-01-2014, 11:25 AM

Above quote is from Gumbomoop; it wouldn't let me reply in the normal way for some reason.

I am quite interested to see Reid Travis on this roster. He's obviously a solid player but the lowest ranked one on this list, and some higher ranked players were skipped. Can someone who knows more about the Hoop Summit shed some light here? Is he a strong defensive player, or an especially good/coachable team player? Is it because of the position he plays (I see him listed here as a C although on the ESPN website he is listed as a PF)? Or do some players decline the opportunity to play in the Hoop Summit?

Every time I saw Reid Travis play in his HS games, he impressed me. He has good strength and size and plays with a "motor." Nice touch around the rim and can step out and hit jumpers. I was honestly hoping Duke would get him, as he seems like a 4-year glue guy.

gumbomoop
04-01-2014, 01:02 PM

I am quite interested to see Reid Travis on this roster.

Are you using an iPad? I was, and when I couldn't "reply with quote" to a couple of posters, I suggested they must be Area 51/Roswell loonies. But now it appears that, unbeknownst to myself, I have been aboard a spaceship, too. More than once, possibly.

As to Reid Travis, Johnny D. might have a guy who will play big minutes right away, as he has lots of guards returning/coming in, but badly needs a rebounder. Travis might not have seen many minutes at Duke next season, but I'm guessing he will at Stanford.

Jackson
04-01-2014, 01:27 PM
This thread has been hijacked. I thought Grayson winning the dunk contest last night was very cool. I also thought Justise's dunks were really underrated by the judges. Can't wait to see the game tomorrow night. Tyus winning the skills contest was secondary I think to seeing multiple players having him out during their dunks to pass to them. I don't know how good Grayson is going to be next year, but he is athletic, can shoot and seems to be a willing defender. Isn't defense what got Matt on the court at least in a limited role. if Grayson doesn't see much action it means that Matt and Justise are really good, which is positive. Am anxious to see Jahlil in action. Just looking at him around the other players, he physically looks like a man among boys. The game Wednesday is the only basketball I want to watch right now.

Henderson
04-01-2014, 01:28 PM
As to Reid Travis, Johnny D. might have a guy who will play big minutes right away, as he has lots of guards returning/coming in, but badly needs a rebounder. Travis might not have seen many minutes at Duke next season, but I'm guessing he will at Stanford.

This is a good point and one that certainly hadn't occurred to me. As much as I would have loved to see us land Travis, he has more of an opportunity to play an impact role at Stanford next year. So maybe it was a very good move for him. I hope he makes the most of it and arrives on the Stanford campus hungry to learn a lot very quickly. And I wish him well (with the usual "unless he plays against Duke" caveat).

roywhite
04-01-2014, 01:37 PM
We can't count Grayson Allen out of the discussion for meaningful minutes in 2014-15.

He's already shown the ability to leap over teammates (https://twitter.com/McDAAG/status/450820890159484928)

Olympic Fan
04-01-2014, 01:41 PM
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I HATE that almost every postseason thread turns into a long and pointless debate about next year's rotation and playing time.

Can't those of you who want to endlessly debate this issue start a single thread and keep it there, so those of us who would rather talk of other things can avoid it? I clicked on this thread hoping to read reactions to the McDonald's competition Monday night and wound up scrolling through yet another debate about how our lineup/rotation will look next year.

SoCalDukeFan
04-01-2014, 01:52 PM
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I HATE that almost every postseason thread turns into a long and pointless debate about next year's rotation and playing time.

Can't those of you who want to endlessly debate this issue start a single thread and keep it there, so those of us who would rather talk of other things can avoid it? I clicked on this thread hoping to read reactions to the McDonald's competition Monday night and wound up scrolling through yet another debate about how our lineup/rotation will look next year.

I really enjoyed watching the competition last night and am actually looking forward to the game, which I usually don't bother with as it rarely looks like bball.

I liked it that the Duke guys seem to have bonded and were helping each other with their dunks. They seemed to be having fun. I wonder if Myles Turner wants to join the party.

The one thing I will be watching on Wed is Oak's D. Can he stop guys who beat the perimeter defense and are driving to the hoop without fouling?

SoCal

daveduke76
04-01-2014, 02:10 PM

Good response! It does get carried away on here sometimes

Olympic Fan
04-01-2014, 02:44 PM
If you want a good chuckle (at our rivals' expense), read the thread on IC about Monday night's McDonald's competition:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=78&f=1410&t=12785858

The first page is filled with comments by UNC fans telling each other how great it is and discussing how well their guys are going to do. But then the thread degenerates as the three Carolina recruits fizzle -- well two of them do, while Pinson does okay, but is outshined by Allen. As Jones wins the skills competition and Allen dominates the dunk competition, the tone of thje thread changes -- suddenly, none of this means anything with post after post about bums who did well and future stars who did not show up.

The contrast between the first page of the thread and the second page is hilarious.

FerryFor50
04-01-2014, 02:56 PM
If you want a good chuckle (at our rivals' expense), read the thread on IC about Monday night's McDonald's competition:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=78&f=1410&t=12785858

The first page is filled with comments by UNC fans telling each other how great it is and discussing how well their guys are going to do. But then the thread degenerates as the three Carolina recruits fizzle -- well two of them do, while Pinson does okay, but is outshined by Allen. As Jones wins the skills competition and Allen dominates the dunk competition, the tone of thje thread changes -- suddenly, none of this means anything with post after post about bums who did well and future stars who did not show up.

The contrast between the first page of the thread and the second page is hilarious.

I got a chuckle out of this one....

If i was theo in the dunk contest i would bring out grayson allen and do a danny green vs greg paulus replay 😃!!

Yea, don't think they're looking at Allen as Greg Paulus anymore...

UrinalCake
04-01-2014, 03:38 PM
The one thing I will be watching on Wed is Oak's D. Can he stop guys who beat the perimeter defense and are driving to the hoop without fouling?

I'm not thinking they're going to be doing much help defense, weak side rotations, or hedging at the top of the key in the McD AA game.

UrinalCake
04-01-2014, 03:40 PM
If you want a good chuckle (at our rivals' expense), read the thread on IC about Monday night's McDonald's competition....

Yeah it starts as "see how awesome our guys are" and quickly changes to a "these high school competitions are meaningless, they don't tell you anything." They're good at deflecting over at UNC.

Newton_14
04-01-2014, 08:47 PM
OK this thread has now been cleaned up to remove all posts about starters and rotation players for next season. Please remain on topic in this thread and keep it to our burger boys, how they performed in the skills stuff last night, and how they perform in the game tomorrow night. The other thread is now wide open to discuss ad nauseum who starts who sits etc.

I am looking forward to seeing Okafor and Jones tomorrow night. I believe both are studs. Have not seen enough of Winslow or Grayson to form an opinion.

Troublemaker
04-02-2014, 09:04 AM
Couple of updates from the 2nd day of practice at Micky D.

Justise Winslow, 6’5”, SF, Saint John’s (TX)

The Texas native showed media and scouts his ability to become a lockdown defender at the next level with his defense on Isaiah Whitehead, one of the top shooting guards in the country. Despite having one of the nicest jump shots in the country, Whitehead had trouble even getting a shot off. Winslow hounded Whitehead all over the court and stayed with him when he tried to shoot from the outside and when he tried to attack off the dribble. In addition to his defensive prowess, Winslow also came to play on the offensive end as well. He hit several open jump shots and also used his athletic ability to finish at the rim.

Jahlil Okafor, 6’11”, C, Whitney Young (IL)

Okafor had a strong day yesterday, but was a monster today. Going against the 7-footer Thomas Welsh, Okafor used his size to score in a variety of ways down low including a rim rattling dunk on the future UCLA center. Okafor grabs the ball like it’s a tennis ball to keep it out of reach from the defense and needs only one or two dribbles to back his man down below the basket. Okafor used his patented spin move at times, but he also scored from the middle of lane off the left and right block. Today, Okafor showed why he is considered the top player in the country.

The bold is the key. If Justise can hit open jumpshots consistently, then he will be our starter at the 3. That's what I'm rooting. I want Duke to have this defensive & rebounding weapon who can also hit jump shots when teams double down on Okafor and score on athletic drives to the rim.

CameronBornAndBred
04-02-2014, 10:36 AM

In the rafters of Cameron...
Hate to bum you out, but while looking up some info on JWill the other day, I found this snippet. (Small part of an excellent article.)

Williams steered his black Mercedes S550 toward the office, which, on this Saturday in December, happened to be Dean Smith Center, in nearby Chapel Hill.
“Good old Carolina,” he said as he pulled onto campus, which sounded strange coming from Mr. Duke. “I love this place. That old Carolina blue. It’s so beautiful, man.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/10/sports/basketball/a-leg-rebuilt-a-life-renewed-for-jay-williams.html?pagewanted=1&_r=0

NashvilleDevil
04-02-2014, 10:46 AM
The bold is the key. If Justise can hit open jumpshots consistently, then he will be our starter at the 3. That's what I'm rooting. I want Duke to have this defensive & rebounding weapon who can also hit jump shots when teams double down on Okafor and score on athletic drives to the rim.

I watched some of the skills competition and Justise, just as a specimen, may be the best one Duke has had since Maggette.

roywhite
04-02-2014, 10:57 AM
I watched some of the skills competition and Justise, just as a specimen, may be the best one Duke has had since Maggette.

Yeah, among some other problems, we got out-muscled a few times this year. For example, Clemson, Virginia, Maryland, and then Mercer were not a good matchup for us in terms of size and physical strength.

The addition of Okafor and Justise Winslow helps a lot in the area of physical stength.

Just a general observation -- I think the fanbase is actually a little slow to fall in love with this incoming class, which may be understandable in the one-and-done era. But IMO this is a fantastic class, the best in the country, and perhaps the best class ever for Coach K.

I'm very optimistic about next year's team, and the incoming class is a major reason.

MCFinARL
04-02-2014, 11:04 AM
Are you using an iPad? I was, and when I couldn't "reply with quote" to a couple of posters, I suggested they must be Area 51/Roswell loonies. But now it appears that, unbeknownst to myself, I have been aboard a spaceship, too. More than once, possibly.

Not an iPad but a Macbook, which may have similar issues. I have also had this happen with a couple of other posters. Sigh...it's always something.

Re Reid Travis, your point makes sense--I hope this will turn out to be a good fit for both player and school.

LobstersPinchPinch
04-02-2014, 11:04 AM
Yeah, among some other problems, we got out-muscled a few times this year. For example, Clemson, Virginia, Maryland, and then Mercer were not a good matchup for us in terms of size and physical strength.

The addition of Okafor and Justise Winslow helps a lot in the area of physical stength.

Just a general observation -- I think the fanbase is actually a little slow to fall in love with this incoming class, which may be understandable in the one-and-done era. But IMO this is a fantastic class, the best in the country, and perhaps the best class ever for Coach K.

I'm very optimistic about next year's team, and the incoming class is a major reason.

I agree about this class, I love the skill sets they bring, and the camaraderie they have is just awesome. And they're all just so damn likable, and seem like really good kids.

kAzE
04-02-2014, 01:28 PM
I'm excited about the game, these 4 kids are going to be a terrific group. Next year's class might not have the type of hype this year had, but I think in terms of NBA potential, it doesn't get much better than Okafor. He's got the potential to be one of the best post scorers we've seen come through college in a long time. I've got no doubts he's going to be a dominant post player at the highest level. Also looking forward to watching what Jones can do in the pick roll, seeing Winslow bring it on defense, and I hope we get to see Allen throw it down in the game. That boy can jump. Mostly just excited to watch (future) Duke players competing in April. (Still bitter)

Newton_14
04-02-2014, 05:24 PM
Not an iPad but a Macbook, which may have similar issues. I have also had this happen with a couple of other posters. Sigh...it's always something.

Re Reid Travis, your point makes sense--I hope this will turn out to be a good fit for both player and school.

Guys it's a bug and it's being worked. When the issue occurs you hit reply with quote and it comes up blank. The SW guru's are actively working it. Happens with any browser or machine type. Stay tuned....

sagegrouse
04-02-2014, 05:33 PM
Guys it's a bug and it's being worked. When the issue occurs you hit reply with quote and it comes up blank. The SW guru's are actively working it. Happens with any browser or machine type. Stay tuned....

Newt, baby, this is unacceptable, and I want my money back!

Dukehky
04-02-2014, 07:06 PM
The Duke UNC Smackdown that DraftExpress runs on youtube wasn't nearly as confrontational as it has been in past years. All those kids seem like guys you'd want in your corner. Also, all of this will he return speculation will not apply to Jahlil Okafor next year. He is 100% gone after 1 and has all but said so himself. Which is fine. Tonight will be the first time I've gotten to see him play when the other team doesn't play zone or triple team him. I wanna see him do some work. I also want to see Justise infuriate everyone else by playing hard defense and I'd like to see what Tyus' speed is, relative to the other guys on the court.

Should be a fun game tonight, I'm certainly looking forward to it.

Henderson
04-02-2014, 07:25 PM
Here's an SB Nation profile on Grayson Allen (http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2014/4/2/5572108/mcdonalds-all-american-game-2014-duke-grayson-allen-dunk-contest). I think the writer baited some UNC recruits into talking a little trash. And he lists a handful of former Duke players even casual basketball fans just couldn't stand, touting Grayson as next in line.

Oh, and did you know Grayson Allen is white? The article mentions it three times.

Dukehky
04-02-2014, 08:00 PM
Here's an SB Nation profile on Grayson Allen (http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2014/4/2/5572108/mcdonalds-all-american-game-2014-duke-grayson-allen-dunk-contest). I think the writer baited some UNC recruits into talking a little trash. And he lists a handful of former Duke players even casual basketball fans just couldn't stand, touting Grayson as next in line.

Oh, and did you know Grayson Allen is white? The article mentions it three times.

Dude just totally ripped off Mark Titus, so while his point is stupid to begin with, it's not even original.

kshepinthehouse
04-02-2014, 09:32 PM
Of course ESPN puts an NBA game on before the Mcdonalds All American game. One in which you knew wouldn't finish in 2 and a half hours.

Dr. Rosenrosen
04-02-2014, 09:39 PM
Man those are some ug-ly uniforms.

J4Kop99
04-02-2014, 09:43 PM
these guys are playing with some actual intensity. Hard foul right there. I like it. Oh yeah, and I want Myles Turner. ;)

devilnfla
04-02-2014, 09:51 PM
I think Justise Winslow is Nate James 2.0.

mattman91
04-02-2014, 10:06 PM
I think Justise Winslow is Nate James 2.0.

He is pretty badass

luburch
04-02-2014, 10:19 PM
Myles Turner feel free to come to Duke.

conmanlhughes
04-02-2014, 10:20 PM
Was anybody else here a little shaken up when Jahlil missed 3 straight buckets?

dukelifer
04-02-2014, 10:26 PM

Yep- Never seen a player miss three before. Folks expect these kids are going to be Lebron. Big guys have a lot to learn. Jahlil needs to figure out how to play against bigger and stronger players. I am sure it will come - he is not a finished product.

NashvilleDevil
04-02-2014, 10:27 PM

Why would anyone be shaken up over a performance in an all-star game?

CDu
04-02-2014, 10:30 PM
Yep- Never seen a player miss three before. Folks expect these kids are going to be Lebron. Big guys have a lot to learn. Jahlil needs to figure out how to play against bigger and stronger players. I am sure it will come - he is not a finished product.

People need to realize that he is not overly athletic/explosive. When he goes up against someone taller/longer than him, he has to carve out more space. Turner is a horrid matchup for Okafor.

Okafor will be very good next year. But he isn't the next Shaq down there.

J4Kop99
04-02-2014, 10:41 PM

nope.

Furniture
04-02-2014, 10:53 PM
People need to realize that he is not overly athletic/explosive. When he goes up against someone taller/longer than him, he has to carve out more space. Turner is a horrid matchup for Okafor.

Okafor will be very good next year. But he isn't the next Shaq down there.

I think Oka was getting a bit upset with Turner and at one point lashed out at him as they started to run up court.

dukelifer
04-02-2014, 11:01 PM
Jackson going to UNC is going to be a pain. Lots of bodies to play in Chapel Hill. How do they lose 1 guy and get 3 AAs.

gumbomoop
04-02-2014, 11:01 PM
Seeing Reid Travis in action, I'm further convinced that he'll play right away, big minutes. Solid worker, can provide rebounding that Dawkins needs with several good returnees.

Edit: Sorry, posted this in wrong thread. Mods, please move to McD game.

OldPhiKap
04-02-2014, 11:05 PM
Winslow doesn't foul.

Duvall
04-02-2014, 11:05 PM
Jackson going to UNC is going to be a pain. Lots of bodies to play in Chapel Hill. How do they lose 1 guy and get 3 AAs.

Not having any players wanted by the greatest basketball league in the world has its advantages.

moonpie23
04-02-2014, 11:09 PM
looooooooooota 3's being missed...

dukelifer
04-02-2014, 11:11 PM
Not having any players wanted by the greatest basketball league in the world has its advantages.

Actually UNC lost two- forgot about PJ.

OldPhiKap
04-02-2014, 11:13 PM
Mudiay is really impressive.

FerryFor50
04-02-2014, 11:14 PM
Mudiay is really impressive.

Agreed. Very strong, great moves. Can finish in traffic and has good hang time.

J4Kop99
04-02-2014, 11:16 PM
I love the way tyus controls the pace of the game when he has the ball

OldPhiKap
04-02-2014, 11:17 PM
Tyus v. Jalil -- practice will be brutal

J4Kop99
04-02-2014, 11:18 PM
all duke down the stretch

FerryFor50
04-02-2014, 11:19 PM
Okafor named MVP

OldPhiKap
04-02-2014, 11:20 PM
Okafor named MVP

Dude is tall, quick and skilled. Color me impressed.

dukelifer
04-02-2014, 11:25 PM
all duke down the stretch

Duke guys did well. Winslow could bring a defensive attitude. Okafor has very good footwork and likes to bang. Jones is unselfish with great vision. Allen is solid but did not show a lot tonight. Lots of potential. The coaching staff has much to work with. If Jabari stays- a very intriguing team.

roywhite
04-02-2014, 11:35 PM
I love the way tyus controls the pace of the game when he has the ball

Really like the way he gets the ball ahead when there is an opening. Get the ball off the defensive boards, get it to Tyus, and get the fast break going.

Henderson
04-02-2014, 11:42 PM
I think Oka was getting a bit upset with Turner and at one point lashed out at him as they started to run up court.

Didn't see that. Hope it doesn't screw up the "I want to see with whom I gel" notion that MT had going before the game.

And we are really going to enjoy Tyus and Jahlil next year. Geez, it'll be a long summer of baseball.

Dukehky
04-02-2014, 11:50 PM
Didn't see that. Hope it doesn't screw up the "I want to see with whom I gel" notion that MT had going before the game.

And we are really going to enjoy Tyus and Jahlil next year. Geez, it'll be a long summer of baseball.

We aren't getting Turner because Jabari is coming back, DUHHHH.

I think Oak was just pressing a little bit on offense, he's smoother and often finishes those plays down low. Not to mention the refs don't want to call much in these games, which does not play into post players' hands. Most of those misses were fouls. Well, they're fouls for most people. Apparently Duke players in the paint aren't getting calls anymore. If Jabari Parker leaves, I'm going to blame Jamie Lucky. Who wants to get beat up every game in the paint then shoot 3 free throws. I hope Jamie Lucky gets audited by the IRS and has to get 4 exploratory colonoscopies every month.

Troublemaker
04-02-2014, 11:57 PM
Tyus looks to fastbreak, even after scores! And he can make the pass up the sideline to a streaking player! Yay!

If his teammates didn't blow layups, Tyus could've had 15 assists. He was probably Duke's best performer. Although the other guys also played well with respect to reasonable expectations.

Incidentally, Tyler Ulis is really underrated. I can't really say that Tyus is a better point guard than Ulis. Kentucky got a great one. He should be 5 stars.

Henderson
04-03-2014, 12:01 AM
No comment intended regarding his overall job tonight, but did anyone else notice the funny moment when ESPN was showing a LeBron James graphic, and Jalen said something like, "That's why it's so important which college you choose."?

BTW, Justin Jackson looks like he might be a problem.

DUKEinFW
04-03-2014, 12:08 AM
Jones is so under control and knows when to turn it on. We have not seen the likes of this type of player Kyrie Irving or J Will. I was at the game and all 4 of our guys looked very solid.

NashvilleDevil
04-03-2014, 12:15 AM
No comment intended regarding his overall job tonight, but did anyone else notice the funny moment when ESPN was showing a LeBron James graphic, and Jalen said something like, "That's why it's so important which college you choose."?

BTW, Justin Jackson looks like he might be a problem.

Didn't Kris Lang, Jason Capel and Ronald Curry appear to be potential problems after they did well in the McDonald's game? Wouldn't read to much into an All-Star game.

gofurman
04-03-2014, 01:13 AM
He is pretty badass

After being outmuscled by Mercer, duke Needs some badass in a serious way. Nasty attitude guys with muscles. Nate james would be just what we need

Henderson
04-03-2014, 01:31 AM
Didn't Kris Lang, Jason Capel and Ronald Curry appear to be potential problems after they did well in the McDonald's game? Wouldn't read to much into an All-Star game.

Well, ok, but except for Ronald Curry (who played in the NFL), none of them was a co-MVP of the game, so it's not fair to compare them all to Justin Jackson. Look at the list of MDAA MVPs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonald's_All-American_Game) over the 20 years, and I think you'll agree that most of them turned out to be problems for opposing teams. And let's give credit where credit is due: Justin Jackson looked good tonight.

kAzE
04-03-2014, 01:43 AM
All of UNC's guys looked pretty solid to me. Jackson can just get buckets in so many different ways, Berry has the potential to be a nasty on ball defender, and Pinson is crazy athletic, and should also be a very good defensive player. Add those guys to Johnson, Tokoto, and Meeks, and that's going to be a team that will be incredibly difficult to score against. Our guys are more talented, but I think their guys aren't inferior from a defensive standpoint at all, and I think all 3 of those guys could be back for a 2nd year. They are loaded . . if Jabari goes pro, they are the favorites in the ACC in my opinion. Should be a couple of epic Duke/UNC games next year.

Olympic Fan
04-03-2014, 02:05 AM

The Jalen moment that made me laugh was when they were talking about having jerseys retired. Actually, Jalen was cracking on Jason's comment that Shelden had his jersey retired at Duke. He made a disbelieving comment, something like -- I need to go back to Ann Arbor and get mine retired.

I just wish that Jason had said, "Don't most schools require that you graduate in order to have your jersey retired ... I know we do at Duke."

And just for the cynic out there -- I know that a few Duke jerseys were retired BEFORE graduation ... but every player was on track for graduation within months ... and every player with his jersey retired now does have a degree (the big reason Elton's jersey is not retired).

And as for the snark about Shelden -- he did something Jalen Rose never did in college -- he was a consensus first-team All-American. The only Fab Five member to do that was Chris Webber in 1993.

PS Anybody able to find a box score? I've been looking all over the web (including the official site and ESPN) and haven't seen one.

Cameron
04-03-2014, 02:10 AM
PS Anybody able to find a box score? I've been looking all over the web (including the official site and ESPN) and haven't seen one.

http://epkzone.com/2014allamericangames/media/2014AllAmericanGamesBoxScores.pdf

Olympic Fan
04-03-2014, 02:19 AM
http://epkzone.com/2014allamericangames/media/2014AllAmericanGamesBoxScores.pdf

Just what I needed, thanks

kAzE
04-03-2014, 02:40 AM
Tyus Jones with the 10:1 assist to turnover ratio. GG.

dukelifer
04-03-2014, 07:19 AM
Well, ok, but except for Ronald Curry (who played in the NFL), none of them was a co-MVP of the game, so it's not fair to compare them all to Justin Jackson. Look at the list of MDAA MVPs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonald's_All-American_Game) over the 20 years, and I think you'll agree that most of them turned out to be problems for opposing teams. And let's give credit where credit is due: Justin Jackson looked good tonight.

Jackson's performance reminded me of McAdoo's. After his game - I thought he would be a tough matchup. McAdoo has regressed a bit but he was an MVP. Jackson also got a lot of easy baskets because Tyus found him. But he is smooth and will be a good player. UNC is loaded. They are clearly in the mix for a title.

dukelifer
04-03-2014, 07:22 AM
Tyus Jones with the 10:1 assist to turnover ratio. GG.

Should have been much higher- his teammate blew some gimmes.

Wheat/"/"/"
04-03-2014, 08:08 AM
My first look at these guys past a few YouTube clips of Okafor ...and I only got to see the first half.....

These players stood out, but I thought they all looked pretty good.

Cliff Alexander....wow. Hadn't heard a lot about him but he's beast level. Same with Okafor, which we knew.

D'Angelo Russell, just a complete guard. Seemed to be a take charge kid. Mudiay, Ulis, Jones all looked good to.

Justin Jackson. I saw a pre-game interview where they asked what number he was going to wear at UNC and he said 44, because that's the number George Gervin wore. That was really interesting to me because these kids would have to be students of the game to even know who he was. After seeing him play, he does have some Gevin look to him. One of those "sneaky" players that find ways to score.

Myles Turner...lots of upside. See his picture under potential in the dictionary.

jv001
04-03-2014, 08:26 AM
My first look at these guys past a few YouTube clips of Okafor ...and I only got to see the first half.....

These players stood out, but I thought they all looked pretty good.

Cliff Alexander....wow. Hadn't heard a lot about him but he's beast level. Same with Okafor, which we knew.

D'Angelo Russell, just a complete guard. Seemed to be a take charge kid. Mudiay, Ulis, Jones all looked good to.

Justin Jackson. I saw a pre-game interview where they asked what number he was going to wear at UNC and he said 44, because that's the number George Gervin wore. That was really interesting to me because these kids would have to be students of the game to even know who he was. After seeing him play, he does have some Gevin look to him. One of those "sneaky" players that find ways to score.

Myles Turner...lots of upside. See his picture under potential in the dictionary.

Besides Jackson, your guy Joel Berry II looked good as well. Looks like he can defend and be a good playmaker. I wouldn't be surprised to see UNC preseason number one in the ACC. GoDuke!

Saratoga2
04-03-2014, 08:28 AM
Sticking to what I saw from our 4 players last night. I thought Tyus was the quickest PG I can remember playing for Duke. He is under control and if he has a decent shot he will be very difficult to stop. Kind of like Napier from UCONN. It will result in us with two smallish guards on the floor together if he plays with Quinn, which we have to expect. Grayson didn't get as much PT but from what I can see he can shoot and moves very well. He will need more exposure before I can form much of an opinion on how he fits into the Duke team. I really loved Justise's play. I would guess him to be 6'5" and very strong and athletic. He was in the fray at all times scoring, playing defense and rebounding. We really can use this kid and he should start barring the return of some players. Jahlil is a load and can back people down. He can be stopped by big athletic players and will feel the doubled team against many teams. He will have a lot to learn but has the tools to be a much needed inside player next year. I expect him to start and play 25 minutes with Marshall getting the balance. Overall a good performance from the new Duke players. Everyone has an opportunity to help the team be a real force next season.

Looking forward to seeing these kids play in the Nike event.

dukebluesincebirth
04-03-2014, 08:47 AM
I only watched the first half, and I was really impressed with our guys. Okafor's moves in the post are much quicker and polished than I expected. His quick spins and other attack moves showed me just how advanced his footwork is for a player of his age and size. As he continues to develop, beast! I also loved how Justise Winslow played. Strong, very active, athletic, dangerous in transition. Tyus was just smooth. I didn't see him take a 3, but had a nasty spin move in the lane and finished. Tyus seems very poised and in control at all times. Solid ball handler and great vision. All three are going to be really really good. In fact, they remind me of another threesome of Duke players who gave us a strong core, and at the same positions: Brand, Maggette, Avery.
I didn't see Grayson much, but I'm sure he'll contribute as well. Aside from our guys, I was really impressed with the other big men, Cliff Alexander and Myles Turner. Each held their own against Okafor several times in the post. Ullis is very crafty with the rock and is gonna pile up assists, a little undersized for scoring. The Carolina guy Jackson did lots of cherry-picking for layups.

Ichabod Drain
04-03-2014, 08:57 AM
The teams combined to shoot 11-47 from three. A blistering 23%.

jipops
04-03-2014, 08:58 AM
I haven't seen the game, hope to watch it later. I won't even ask if it appears these guys can play defense because there is no way to discern that from this game. One question I do have regards Winslow. Does he appear to have much of a perimeter shot? In all his highlight reels he's driving to the basket which leads me to believe he isn't very comfortable from mid-range and beyond.

roywhite
04-03-2014, 09:43 AM
I haven't seen the game, hope to watch it later. I won't even ask if it appears these guys can play defense because there is no way to discern that from this game. One question I do have regards Winslow. Does he appear to have much of a perimeter shot? In all his highlight reels he's driving to the basket which leads me to believe he isn't very comfortable from mid-range and beyond.

That's a fair criticism of Justise based on what I've seen and read; not a great shooter, especially from further out. He does seem to have a knack for scoring near the basket on drives, follow-ups and so-called "garbage" buckets (which still count!) I think his other strengths, which include defense and rebounding will give him plenty of minutes -- starter's minutes IMO.

FerryFor50
04-03-2014, 09:49 AM
Grayson Allen needs to add strength if he wants to get meaningful minutes. He got pushed around a bit in the AA game.

sagegrouse
04-03-2014, 10:01 AM
At least one-half of the game was truly garbage. I have a modest proposal. If any player dribbles into the frontcourt and shoots without passing first, one point is deducted from any made field goal unless the FG is within five feet of the basket. Heck. why not deduct one point for any FG attempt? That way, teams could get negative scores for awful basketball.

I tell ya', I was screaming at the TV for a lot of the game. These players aren't coached this way -- they all have scholarships -- why can't they play basketball?

Kedsy
04-03-2014, 10:11 AM
After being outmuscled by Mercer, duke Needs some badass in a serious way. Nasty attitude guys with muscles. Nate james would be just what we need

We got out-(a lot of things) against Mercer, but I don't recall "outmuscled" as one of them. For one thing, we crushed them on both the offensive (40% OR%) and defensive boards (86% DR%). Their big guy scored some points, but it wasn't like he was bulling through our guys to get to the basket or anything.

CameronBornAndBred
04-03-2014, 10:13 AM
At least one-half of the game was truly garbage. I have a modest proposal. If any player dribbles into the frontcourt and shoots without passing first, one point is deducted from any made field goal unless the FG is within five feet of the basket. Heck. why not deduct one point for any FG attempt? That way, teams could get negative scores for awful basketball.

I tell ya', I was screaming at the TV for a lot of the game. These players aren't coached this way -- they all have scholarships -- why can't they play basketball?
Doesn't the same thing happen in the NBA all-star game? I don't watch all-star games for that reason, you can't really gauge much from them. I'll watch the dunk contests. Those are akin to demolition derbys and NASCAR; the guy who invented the DDs figured the reason people showed up to car races was to watch them wreck, so he took out the track. (True analogy.)
I don't fault the players, though, it is fun for them, and they get to show off. They aren't there to win a championship, it is one of the rare games they know they can just flat out have fun in.

CDu
04-03-2014, 10:22 AM
Doesn't the same thing happen in the NBA all-star game? I don't watch all-star games for that reason, you can't really gauge much from them. I'll watch the dunk contests. Those are akin to demolition derbys and NASCAR; the guy who invented the DDs figured the reason people showed up to car races was to watch them wreck, so he took out the track. (True analogy.)
I don't fault the players, though, it is fun for them, and they get to show off. They aren't there to win a championship, it is one of the rare games they know they can just flat out have fun in.

Yeah, these types of games are tough for guys who aren't (a) great shooters, (b) great transition players, or (c) phenomenal one-on-one players. Guys whose skills show up better in a structured offense/defense aren't going to look good in these games.

roywhite
04-03-2014, 10:33 AM
Yeah, these types of games are tough for guys who aren't (a) great shooters, (b) great transition players, or (c) phenomenal one-on-one players. Guys whose skills show up better in a structured offense/defense aren't going to look good in these games.

Yes, but I was quite pleased to see Tyus Jones excel, even in that environment. As noted, he had 10 assists and 1 turnover, could easily have had several more assists if players had converted some good looks.

Tyus seems to have a great feel for the game, and plays under control. Defense is an area for improvement.

Troublemaker
04-03-2014, 10:34 AM
One question I do have regards Winslow. Does he appear to have much of a perimeter shot?

Not based on this game. He was 1-4 from the FT line, a couple of the misses not looking good. And his lone 3-pt shot attempt was way off.

FerryFor50
04-03-2014, 10:36 AM
Yes, but I was quite pleased to see Tyus Jones excel, even in that environment. As noted, he had 10 assists and 1 turnover, could easily have had several more assists if players had converted some good looks.

Tyus seems to have a great feel for the game, and plays under control. Defense is an area for improvement.

Jones reminds me of Tyler Ennis, but a bit faster.

CDu
04-03-2014, 10:40 AM

I was going to add (but didn't due to laziness) that this game also tends to lend itself to PG (because they have the ball so much in these games and because defenses aren't well-prepared). Remember that Greg Paulus looked amazing at PG in his McDonald's game (9 assists to just 1 turnover), and he quickly proved to not be a great PG at Duke (more of a SG by his junior and senior years as we ran the weave to minimize the need for a PG). So I also wouldn't take much stock in Jones' performance last night either. The court is just so wide open and defenses are just so disorganized that it is very easy to wrack up assists if you want to do so.

Now, I think Jones is going to be a terrific player. I just wouldn't use last night's game as any part of my argument about that.

jv001
04-03-2014, 10:49 AM
I was going to add (but didn't due to laziness) that this game also tends to lend itself to PG (because they have the ball so much in these games and because defenses aren't well-prepared). Remember that Greg Paulus looked amazing at PG in his McDonald's game (9 assists to just 1 turnover). So I also wouldn't take much stock in Jones' performance last night either. The court is just so wide open and defenses are just so disorganized that it is very easy to wrack up assists if you want to do so.

Now, I think Jones is going to be a terrific player. I just wouldn't use last night's game as any part of my argument about that.

I agree you can't take too much from how Tyus or any other player did last night. I watch the Mickey D game just to see our Duke guys but I try not to get too caught up in the hype because this game, like most All Star games is for show. I want to see how the players do in a structured game or practice. Tyus looked to have a good handle and pretty good speed/quickness. He's supposed to be a pass first point guard and I like that. But can he play defense? That's the million dollar question. GoDuke!

kAzE
04-03-2014, 10:52 AM

There was this other guy who played for Kentucky in 2012 who kind of fit into this description. Kidd-Gilchrist STILL can't shoot, but guys like that who play hard, hustle, rebound, and defend win games at the college level. He's going to be a big part of our team's success next year. I wish he was on this year's team, he probably would have made a huge difference.

Potato Head
04-03-2014, 10:53 AM
Really excited for next year's team, which is going to be incredibly deep and balanced. Two quality point guards, a boat load of talented swing players, with Plumlee, Okafor, and Jefferson in the middle. And definitely not Jabari, because you'd have to be crazy to think that he's coming back (shhh).

Tyus Jones reminds me a lot of Kirk Hinrich. Great motor and decision-making, always seems to be a step ahead of the defense. Allen is going to be a great player too. So many tools, and he seems willing to get down and dirty on the defensive end.

Li_Duke
04-03-2014, 10:55 AM
There was this other guy who played for Kentucky in 2012 who kind of fit into this description. Kidd-Gilchrist STILL can't shoot, but guys like that who play hard, hustle, rebound, and defend win games at the college level. He's going to be a big part of our team's success next year. I wish he was on this year's team, he probably would have made a huge difference.

I think his value goes up if we can put a floor space at the other forward spot (Parker/Turner). Kentucky had Terrance Jones to pair with Kidd-Gilchrist. It would be hard playing Okafor, Jefferson, and Winslow together; opposing teams would just pack the paint.

Troublemaker
04-03-2014, 11:02 AM
Tyus looked to have a good handle and pretty good speed/quickness. He's supposed to be a pass first point guard and I like that. But can he play defense? That's the million dollar question. GoDuke!

I think if he starts alongside Sheed, Sheed will be the defensive PG on-the-ball allowing Tyus to play off-the-ball. Off-the-ball defense is important, too, but it's not as crucial as ball pressure up top, the fulcrum around which Duke's defense revolves.

Incidentally, Tyus looked great in pick-n-roll last night as well. I'm very impressed.

FerryFor50
04-03-2014, 11:23 AM
Who I was impressed by (in order):

Emmanuel Mudiay
Just seemed a man amongst boys out there. Great strength, finishes well. Plays under control.

Jahlil Okafor
He struggled a little against Turner, but overall, did well. Ran the court well and was very strong inside. Great post moves... very advanced for his age. However, I worry about him getting called for offensive fouls or not getting defensive foul calls when he uses his body to make space. He will have DUKE on his jersey after all, and we see what happened to Jabari. :mad:

Justin Jackson
He is going to be a handful. Someone else in this thread compared his performance to McAdoo's when he was in the AA game, but Jackson has a more well rounded game and can actually shoot.

Cliff Alexander
Beast. Very strong, very athletic.

Reid Travis
Also very strong inside. Runs the floor well. Good motor. Always been a fan of his and he showed he can compete with guys on his level.

Myles Turner
Stronger than you'd think, given how slender he looks. Great post defender.

Stanley Johnson
Athletic, smooth, great defender.

Tyus Jones
Very smooth and unflappable. Finishes well and was willing to take the ball down the stretch and score.

Kelly Oubre
Another solid 2 guard. Reminds me a bit of Josh Selby.

Rashad Vaughn
Good outside shot. James Young clone.

Those are the guys that stood out to me. But several guys had pretty solid games in the boxscore that I didn't realize....

Kevon Looney had 6 points and 11 boards.
Trey Lyles had 8 points and 8 boards.
James Blackmon had 13 points, 2 boards.
D'Angelo Russell had 11 points, 4 assists.

Winslow's game didn't really impress me a ton, but I'm not concerned. He's strong and athletic and plays good defense.

Allen seemed a little overmatched physically... just not a lot of upper body strength.

Ullis did not impress me at all. If Cal disliked Ryan Harrow, he'll be just as disappointed with Ullis.

Pinson didn't impress me either; his athleticism was negated in this game. Joel Berry was ok... but I don't see him being much better than Nate Britt is right now.

DavidBenAkiva
04-03-2014, 12:33 PM
Kidd-Gilchrist STILL can't shoot, but guys like that who play hard, hustle, rebound, and defend win games at the college level. He's going to be a big part of our team's success next year.

I read an article recently about how Kidd-Gilchrist worked on his jumper this year. He has horrible form on his shot. His left hand goes on top of the ball, which causes it to spin weirdly. When he got injured earlier this year, he was shooting with only his right hand while rehabbing and his accuracy really picked up. Then, when his left hand healed, he just brought it right back on top of the ball and can't find a consistent jump shot. Here's a video showing his poor shooting form (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4lpP0Pa1Kg).

Now with Winslow, there appears to be some hope. He doesn't do anything too funky with his right hand (he's a lefty). It's not a J.J. Redick or Andre Dawkins shooting form, but it does not, at least to me, appear to be fundamentally flawed. See the first minute or two of this video as an example (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY-oYFpySrA). There's good elevation on the shot so it's not coming out flat and the ball doesn't appear to be spinning sideways. He just hasn't developed that into an accurate shot yet. It may happen, it may never happen, but it does not look to be fundamentally flawed.

On the plus side, Winslow can run and jump, things I'll never be able to do!

CarmenWallaceWade
04-03-2014, 12:55 PM
Ullis did not impress me at all. If Cal disliked Ryan Harrow, he'll be just as disappointed with Ullis.

Pinson didn't impress me either; his athleticism was negated in this game. Joel Berry was ok... but I don't see him being much better than Nate Britt is right now.

Things to keep in mind:

This was 1 game which I did not watch and therefore can't comment on individual performance. That said, I did read several articles (ESPN insider, CNNSI to name a few) that raved about how good Ullis was and will be next year. And as for Berry, he is a much better prospect than Britt. Very good defender and offensively he's effective at the point, can drive and finish. Much more upside and talent than Nate Britt.

FerryFor50
04-03-2014, 12:57 PM
Things to keep in mind:

This was 1 game which I did not watch and therefore can't comment on individual performance. That said, I did read several articles (ESPN insider, CNNSI to name a few) that raved about how good Ullis was and will be next year. And as for Berry, he is a much better prospect than Britt. Very good defender and offensively he's effective at the point, can drive and finish. Much more upside and talent than Nate Britt.

I was just commenting on what I saw in the AA game. Ullis looked overmatched due to his size; he faced guards that were as fast as him but taller and longer.

Berry... we'll just have to see, won't we? :)

grad_devil
04-03-2014, 01:00 PM

<snip>

</snip>

I disagree.

I kept thinking what a great point guard he was, especially to be so undersized (5'9"). Seemed to always have a knack for the ball and make the perfect play.

COYS
04-03-2014, 01:03 PM

Jahlil Okafor
He struggled a little against Turner, but overall, did well. Ran the court well and was very strong inside. Great post moves... very advanced for his age. However, I worry about him getting called for offensive fouls or not getting defensive foul calls when he uses his body to make space. He will have DUKE on his jersey after all, and we see what happened to Jabari. :mad:

I second your comment that Okafor ran the floor well. He looked far more nimble than I had perceived him to be in some of the televised high school games I'd seen him in. He is so quick with his moves and knows exactly where to go. While Myles Turner might have given him a little trouble on some of his post ups, he also just went through a short streak where he lost concentration and missed some gimme's in which he had totally owned Turner until it came time for him to finish. He rebounded from that and closed out the game in a big way. He'll have to adjust to athletic defenders, to be sure, but he's big enough, strong enough, and quick enough to make that adjustment REALLY quickly. Mostly, he's going to have to learn to pass out of double-teams because that's going to be the only way anyone is going to stop him.

FerryFor50
04-03-2014, 01:07 PM
Mostly, he's going to have to learn to pass out of double-teams because that's going to be the only way anyone is going to stop him.

I've seen him in his HS games and he seems to know how to pass out of the double and triple teams pretty well, seeing as that's what he saw every night. At Duke, teams will have a tougher time doubling him with Cook, Sheed, Jones, (Parker???) etc on the perimeter.

COYS
04-03-2014, 01:13 PM
I've seen him in his HS games and he seems to know how to pass out of the double and triple teams pretty well, seeing as that's what he saw every night. At Duke, teams will have a tougher time doubling him with Cook, Sheed, Jones, (Parker???) etc on the perimeter.

Shooting will definitely be key to keeping teams honest, next year. Although, I will say that in the few high school games I saw him in, he mostly scored through the double teams, haha.

dukelifer
04-03-2014, 01:35 PM

Not a great shot from what he showed. He will hustle and bang and can get out in transition. He can play elite D. His shot is not awful but has a little hitch. I am not expecting much there. But if he could shoot with his strength- he would be out of here after next year. I expect he will be a multi year player- has work to do for sure.

CDu
04-03-2014, 01:37 PM
Not a great shot from what he showed. He will hustle and bang and can get out in transition. He can play elite D. His shot is not awful but has a little hitch. I am not expecting much there. But if he could shoot with his strength- he would be out of here after next year. I expect he will be a multi year player- has work to do for sure.

Yeah, I think what we're hoping for from Winslow is that he can do most everything else well. He's a good rebounder, good defender, solid ballhandler and passer, and good at getting garbage buckets. He's not likely to be a shooter that keeps defenses honest (at least not in the near future).

Henderson
04-03-2014, 01:38 PM
I disagree.

I kept thinking what a great point guard [Ullis] was, especially to be so undersized (5'9"). Seemed to always have a knack for the ball and make the perfect play.

I thought he looked pretty good last night too. But let's see how he does when opposing players are focusing on defense. His size will be a problem in outside shooting against guards who are 4 or more inches taller, and his passing and penetrating will be more difficult when bigs and wings with long arms are not letting him get a shot off and are focusing on blocking the passing lanes. There have been effective PGs with that kind of height (or even less), but they are relatively rare and start with a pretty significant disadvantage.

roywhite
04-03-2014, 01:46 PM

Who in the conference can match up individually down low with Okafor?
Nnoko from Clemson?
Meeks and others from UNC?
Devin Thomas from Wake?
Harrell from Louisville, or do they have someone else?
Christmas from Syracuse?

Yeah, Turner gave him trouble, but there aren't many in college who can do likewise

It will be a little strange to see Duke looking inside as a primary option

FerryFor50
04-03-2014, 02:03 PM
Who in the conference can match up individually down low with Okafor?
Nnoko from Clemson?
Meeks and others from UNC?
Devin Thomas from Wake?
Harrell from Louisville, or do they have someone else?
Christmas from Syracuse?

Yeah, Turner gave him trouble, but there aren't many in college who can do likewise

It will be a little strange to see Duke looking inside as a primary option

Harrell is likely gone to the NBA at L'ville.

Meeks might be able to give Okafor some trouble with his *ahem* size, but Okafor is quicker.

Christmas and Nnoko will be interesting as defenders.

But that just means teams will have to choose whether to double Okafor and leave shooters open or play straight up.

English
04-03-2014, 02:53 PM
I thought he looked pretty good last night too. But let's see how he does when opposing players are focusing on defense. His size will be a problem in outside shooting against guards who are 4 or more inches taller, and his passing and penetrating will be more difficult when bigs and wings with long arms are not letting him get a shot off and are focusing on blocking the passing lanes. There have been effective PGs with that kind of height (or even less), but they are relatively rare and start with a pretty significant disadvantage.

I couldn't help thinking of Tyrone 'Mugsy' Bogues last night when Ulis was streaking up and down the court. I thought Ulis was 5'7 (not 5'9), but last night that made little difference--everyone was a head taller. I'm firmly in the wait-and-see camp with him, WRT high D-1 ball next year, but last night he showed some great hesitation and change-of-direction. I got the impression that Ulis was content to be a traffic cop early last night, setting up the flow and running some offense initially, and when he started hunting his shot and drive, the height disparity really came out. Driving into the trees was futile (a couple of quick blocks, IIRC) and then there was an instance when he tried a mid-range shot that was badly off or blocked, and the announcer (JWill, I think) said something to the effect of "Ulis will has some adjusting to do next year when he's up against taller guards who can sag off him and still contest his shot with their length." He overachieved last night, in my eyes, mostly because my expectations were pretty low and because these type of all-star, reckless games lend themselves to guard-heavy play with speed.

FireOgilvie
04-03-2014, 03:00 PM
I was surprised with how quick Justise is... he has the potential to be really good, especially if he can develop his shot. I think he's going to play decent minutes right away, despite the massive logjam we have with guards.

devilnfla
04-03-2014, 06:44 PM
Thought Grayson looked a lot smaller than 6'4". Maybe closer to 6'2". I did like the way he looked for his shot and he seemed to play decent defense. As I stated in an earlier post, Winslow is Nate James 2.0. I can see him spotting up for 3 in the corner and picking up some tough rebounds amongst much bigger players down low. Just dreaming of an Okafor, Parker combo next year. Who do teams decide to double team? Jones looked solid and played with poise.

Ichabod Drain
04-03-2014, 07:55 PM
Thought Grayson looked a lot smaller than 6'4". Maybe closer to 6'2". I did like the way he looked for his shot and he seemed to play decent defense. As I stated in an earlier post, Winslow is Nate James 2.0. I can see him spotting up for 3 in the corner and picking up some tough rebounds amongst much bigger players down low. Just dreaming of an Okafor, Parker combo next year. Who do teams decide to double team? Jones looked solid and played with poise.

If Allen is only 6'2" then everyone else looks two inches shorter as well...

NSDukeFan
04-03-2014, 08:03 PM

So now you're telling me next year's incoming class is 6'8, 6'3, 6'2 and 5'10?

ncexnyc
04-03-2014, 08:08 PM
I was very happy that I was able to watch the game after work, early this morning.

I think we’ve got a definite stud in Mr. Jones, at the PG spot and he will definitely be starting for us by the time ACC play rolls around, at the very latest. The kid loves to push the ball, has great court vision, and knows how to hit the open man. We definitely won’t be lamenting the fact that our PG’s can’t make a simple entry pass, nor will we wonder why our bigs never receive the ball on a pick and roll. I was also impressed with the way Tyrus brought the ball down the court a launched a three at the end of the game, which gave the East a short lived lead.

I’ll give Mr. Okafor the benefit of the doubt for missing so many close in shots. Let’s chalk it up to nerves due to playing in front of what amounted to a home crowd. As others have already stated, he’s very nimble for such a big man and he has all the back to the basket moves down pat. My only concern will be whether or not he can stay on the court by avoiding foul trouble.

Mr. Winslow is without a doubt a physical specimen. The only thing Duke fans need to know about his game, is that in crunch time his coach inserted him for defense and he was matched up against a PG. The can definitely play some defense.

Mr. Allen comes last, but then somebody has to get that honor. He seems able to do everything fairly well, but he really didn’t appear to be outstanding in anyone facet of the game.

I realize this was just one game and while some of you may poo hoo its value in judging a player I think you can get a pretty good idea of how a player stacks up against his peers physically and from a skill set point of view. I also think you can get an idea as to whether the kid is a me first type or whether he’s a good team mate.

devilnfla
04-03-2014, 08:19 PM

Well that's what I thought..... I've seen him play in Jacksonville as well and had the same thought seeing him live. I'm 5'11" and he didn't seem much taller. Watching his interview with Jason Williams after the Slam Dunk competition even furthered my opinion. He's not much taller than Jay and I believe Jay was listed at 6'2". Also looking at him next to Tyus on the court didn't seem like he was 3 inches taller than Tyus.

Henderson
04-03-2014, 10:34 PM

Everyone looks shorter at a funeral.

Double DD
04-04-2014, 06:08 AM

He measured in at 6'4.5" in shoes at the Nike camps last summer. Height can be deceiving.

In terms of measurements for the other players. Okafor came in at 6'10.75" and 6'11" at different USA Basketball measurements. Winslow was 6'5.5" with USA Basketball. Jones was 6'0.5". Turner was 6'10.5" with USA Basketball and 6'10" at the Nike Camps.

mccollums
04-04-2014, 02:23 PM
I thought Okafor was fouled on most of his misses. The refs weren't going to call the game tight, and I thought they allowed physical play in the post. Okafor will be a nightmare to defend if you have to defend him with the threat of fouls.

I still think you guys need 1 more post player. Someone to keep your team physical if Okafor is out. Like a Nigel Hayes at Wisconsin, Jamari Traylor at Kansas, or Jeronne Maymom at UT.

Olympic Fan
04-04-2014, 02:44 PM
I thought Okafor was fouled on most of his misses. The refs weren't going to call the game tight, and I thought they allowed physical play in the post. Okafor will be a nightmare to defend if you have to defend him with the threat of fouls.

The question is whether he'll get the same treatment from ACC refs as Hansbrough got for four years ... or the treatment that Jabari got last season?

NashvilleDevil
04-04-2014, 02:51 PM

I still think you guys need 1 more post player. Someone to keep your team physical if Okafor is out. Like a Nigel Hayes at Wisconsin, Jamari Traylor at Kansas, or Jeronne Maymom at UT.

Marshall Plumlee says how do you do?

NashvilleDevil
04-04-2014, 02:52 PM
The question is whether he'll get the same treatment from ACC refs as Hansbrough got for four years ... or the treatment that Jabari got last season?

I think since their games are different that Jahil will get the calls. Jabari, as others have noted, initiated a lot of contact on his drives to the hoop and that may have been a factor in the ridiculous amount of no calls we saw this year.

mccollums
04-04-2014, 03:35 PM

Good question, can only be answered on a game by game basis :-) . NCAA officials and consistent are rarely used in the same sentence. Okafor is LARGE, and that might work against him though. I've always thought refs seem to allow smaller defenders more physical play on the big guys. Post defense in college is generally poor though and there's not going to be too many guys in college next season that will have the length to stand straight up and affect his shot. You guys always have shooters, so teams will have to pick their poison.

It's obvious Plumlee will be the 3rd big in the rotation and the backup center... but sometimes those physical 4's can change a game on the boards. 2 immovable objects compared to 1. Doubtful K would use Plumlee and Okafor at the same time. Maybe Justice will be able to add that from the wing if he gets PT.

jipops
04-04-2014, 03:46 PM
I finally got around to watching last night. Tyus really looks like something special to me, at least on offense. I have no idea what he's going to be like defensively. He certainly looks like a potential one-and-done type talent.

Though he wasn't overly impressive in the stat sheet I really liked what I saw from Grayson. He had one beautiful offensive move from the left elbow where he changed directions and shot a soft floater off one leg. It looked like a move he's used before. He's a multi-year guy who has potential to really blossom in his junior and senior year.

I really liked Justise as well but I think we need to be careful not to over-inflate our expectations of him. He's obviously got some nice ball handling ability and all accounts are that he prides himself on his defense. But it looks like his offense has a ways to go. All of his buckets were in transition and it really appears that he's not comfortable hunting for his shot on the perimeter. In my opinion he may be best suited as a utility guy early on for defensive stops and crashing boards. Hopefully after a year or two he'll develop a reliable offensive game. My guess is he's at minimum a 3 year player.

Jahlil - yea we all know this kid can play.

Myles Turner didn't show much on offense in the paint. He looks like he is much more comfortable facing the basket than posting. But the kid really looks like a force on defense. Whoever lands him will have a stopper in the paint

jipops
04-04-2014, 03:47 PM
Doubtful K would use Plumlee and Okafor at the same time.

I see zero chance of this happening. The floor spacing would be pretty poor and in no way would it benefit us offensively.

mr. synellinden
04-05-2014, 01:12 AM

All four Quarters are now using this photo as their twitter avatar. You have to like the cohesiveness.