PDA

View Full Version : Announcer Carousel 2014

hurleyfor3
03-30-2014, 09:00 PM
No More Jimmy Dykes, he'll be the women's coach at Arkansas next year.

Surprised no comments about the Nantz/Anthony pairing yet. Nice to see cbs finally figured out Clark Kellogg sucks. Anthony didn't do a terrible job, it seemed. Any word whether he's staying on during the Final Four?

CR9
03-30-2014, 09:03 PM
I might be old school, but Verne/Raf is still #1 for me. Just absolute quality, those 2. I'm pretty excited for next season as Dan Dakich's son graduated Ohio St so I shouldn't have to hear about him anymore. Already an up-grade.

Billy Dat
03-30-2014, 09:04 PM
I think Greg Anthony is as good as it gets on color. I think Kerr will be in Dallas for the FF with Nantz.

roywhite
03-30-2014, 09:09 PM
When I saw the thread title, I half-expected to see something about Bob Harris. I love Bob, but I think "he's lost a step" to put it in sports parlance. Bob is a contemporary (and from the same hometown of Albemarle, NC) of Woody Durham, who stepped down 3 years ago.

Or maybe Bob is intent on staying as long as Coach K does?

BluDvlsN1
03-30-2014, 09:20 PM
I can endure most, but, please not a minute more of Marv Albert..

Reilly
03-30-2014, 09:29 PM
I thought I heard Anthony and Nantz talking about being together next week in Dallas, and makes sense they'd do a warm-up game this weekend ... Nantz used to do that with Kellogg, who did stink, and is really the odd man out with Kenny Smith and Barkley in the studio, given Kellogg seems to have only a tiny fraction of their coolness and common sense.

Several times during the tourney, I'd catch a bit of a game and think it was Dan Bonner on the color, and it was Kerr. That's high praise.

pfrduke
03-30-2014, 09:30 PM
Yes, Anthony took Kellogg's place for the full season, including the Final Four.

Poor Clark - he's getting outclassed in the studio by Charles and Kenny after being replaced as the lead color guy.

gurufrisbee
03-30-2014, 09:37 PM
Clark Kellogg has been horrible for years.

Seth Davis is getting more and more unbearable each year.

Len Elmore doesn't even know what sport he is talking about.

Every year I am more and more thankful for the mute button.

Henderson
03-30-2014, 09:41 PM
Am I the only one who likes Doris Kerr?

PSurprise
03-30-2014, 10:03 PM
I can endure most, but, please not a minute more of Marv Albert..

Ehh, I don't think he's that bad...for some reason I always picture him announcing he games in pink lingerie. Not sure why :)

Henderson
03-30-2014, 10:09 PM

Uh, that was supposed to be Doris Burke.

tommy
03-31-2014, 12:30 AM
I think Kerr and Anthony are both excellent because they actually analyze, you know, the game.

Kellogg is doing much less damage in the studio than he was trying to be so cutesy pie with his lame catch phrases as a game announcer. Kenny Smith is useless. He's not funny and he rarely can get a coherent, interesting thought out of his brain and out through his mouth. He spends a lot of time saying basically nothing.

Jim Nantz is just so corporate, so vanilla, so canned. To him, the games are just widgets. Give me back Gus Johnson! Please! Some passion!

NYBri
03-31-2014, 12:33 AM
Al McGuire.

J4Kop99
03-31-2014, 12:53 AM
I'm glad to hear that other people like Greg Anthony. I think he does a tremendous job. Kerr is also good but this may be his last year as an announcer. Tons of rumors about him heading to the Knicks as a head coach.

I feel bad for Kellogg. He seems like a genuinely nice guy but he's just not that good as a commentator or studio analyst. It's tough to expect him to have the same chemistry that Barkley and Kenny have together but he doesn't quite understand how to "pick his spots" if you will.

-Verne is starting to slow down a little but but I'd still take him and Raf over any other team. On a personal note, I have had the chance to meet both of these guys on multiple occasions and they are hilarious and extremely nice. So many great stories between the two. So many classic calls, as well.

-Since we are on the subject of announcers and "analysts" did anyone happen to see Seth Davis and Gottlieb get into it a little the other night on TBS? Something about Seth making a point and gottlieb saying "I literally just tweeted that" and then them both making snide remarks. They both serve the same purpose and I wouldn't be surprised if they see each other as "rivals." I get the feeling that they actually do not like each other.

Wildling
03-31-2014, 07:36 AM
I think Kerr and Anthony are both excellent because they actually analyze, you know, the game.

Kellogg is doing much less damage in the studio than he was trying to be so cutesy pie with his lame catch phrases as a game announcer. Kenny Smith is useless. He's not funny and he rarely can get a coherent, interesting thought out of his brain and out through his mouth. He spends a lot of time saying basically nothing.

Jim Nantz is just so corporate, so vanilla, so canned. To him, the games are just widgets. Give me back Gus Johnson! Please! Some passion!

Give me Bill Raftery, Sean Mcdonough and Jay Bilas everyday and twice on Sunday!

"A little lingerie on the deck!"

SoCalDukeFan
03-31-2014, 11:12 AM
I saw so many games not sure which one.

As the teams come on the court after a time out, Reggie says the defensive team really needs a stop. The offensive team was shooting free throws.

I think Greg Anthony does a great job and am glad to see others agree.

SoCal

Sandman
03-31-2014, 05:42 PM
Personally, I want to see more of Allie LaForce -- a lot more! AND, she is by far the most knowledgeable sideline reporter I have ever had the pleasure to endure.

timmy c
03-31-2014, 05:57 PM

Doris Kerr was one of the best. Unfortunately, she is no longer with us... http://dwwhite.tributes.com/our_obituaries/Doris-Kerr-95966843

captmojo
03-31-2014, 06:09 PM
Greg Anthony was contradictory last night at the UM/UK game over block/charge. But then, many are.
Give me Ian Eagle and Mr. Spanarkel. I agree on praise for Reggie Miller. His sister used to do some commentary. Whatever happened to her? John Thompson is good. Bobby Knight, too. I tire of a lot of the same faces and voices.

gumbomoop
03-31-2014, 06:37 PM
Jim Nantz is just so corporate, so vanilla, so canned. To him, the games are just widgets.

Amen. American bball play-by-play guys are generally bland, but Nantz is exactly as tommy describes him. Some of the commentary guys I do appreciate, Bonner and Gminski especially. Although his voice may not quite be right, Spanarkel is good, too. So far, I like Anthony.

I'll take English Premier League announcing teams, who use words like "speculative," for an errant shot or too-far pass.

BobbyFan
03-31-2014, 07:09 PM
I prefer Anthony to Kellogg, but he just talk too much. He can often make his points in half the sentences.

As for Kellogg, it's becoming cringeworthy watching him function as Barkley's laughing puppet.

Turk
03-31-2014, 10:15 PM
I enjoy Kenny and the Chuckwagon, but they need to stay in their lane and stick with Ernie and the NBA.

Greg Anthony does a nice job, but you know I can't let an announcing thread go unmolested without throwing in a nomination for Bill Walton. My guess is he's probably blacklisted himself because he doesn't care if he goes on camera wearing jeans and polo shirt.

AtlDuke72
03-31-2014, 11:03 PM
Uh, that was supposed to be Doris Burke.

You are the only one . She is insufferable

Atlanta Duke
04-01-2014, 10:43 AM
Amen. American bball play-by-play guys are generally bland, but Nantz is exactly as tommy describes him.

Nantz with his bland delivery has been the lead NCAA announcer since Brent Musburger got canned at the Final Four on April Fools Day in 1990 between the national semis and the UNLV blowout of Duke (Musburger did the championship game after getting fired).

I associate Nantz's voice with a lot of great Duke victories (although Verne made the call on Laettner's shot) but that is too long for anyone to be the top dog - maybe viewers crave familiarity but I do not get how being a big time sports announcer became the TV equivalent of getting a lifetime appointment to the Supreme Court (with much better pay)

But Greg Anthony is a definite upgrade over Kellogg - not certain who CBS may have in line to hopefully replace Nantz

And Sir Charles can stay as long as he wants - this linked takedown of Shaq during a break in NCAA action was great:)

http://nba.si.com/2014/03/28/charles-barkley-shaquille-oneal-cream-soda-diabetes/

Henderson
04-01-2014, 11:07 AM
Nantz with his bland delivery has been the lead NCAA announcer since Brent Musburger got canned at the Final Four on April Fools Day in 1990 between the national semis and the UNLV blowout of Duke (Musburger did the championship game after getting fired).

I associate Nantz's voice with a lot of great Duke victories (although Verne made the call on Laettner's shot) but that is too long for anyone to be the top dog - maybe viewers crave familiarity but I do not get how being a big time sports announcer became the TV equivalent of getting a lifetime appointment to the Supreme Court (with much better pay)

But Greg Anthony is a definite upgrade over Kellogg - not certain who CBS may have in line to hopefully replace Nantz

And Sir Charles can stay as long as he wants - this linked takedown of Shaq during a break in NCAA action was great:)

http://nba.si.com/2014/03/28/charles-barkley-shaquille-oneal-cream-soda-diabetes/

Jim Nantz is ... solid. But I can't listen to him in April without thinking he should be in Augusta.

sagegrouse
04-01-2014, 11:54 AM
Jim Nantz is ... solid. But I can't listen to him in April without thinking he should be in Augusta.

Jim Nantz was Fred Couples' college roommate at the Univ. of Houston ("Cougar High," as the Rice students use to say). You would have to think Fred's win at the Masters in 1992 was very special to both.

rasputin
04-01-2014, 12:10 PM

I'm another who likes Doris. She is WAY better than most, IMO. Sometimes she talks too much, but at least she talks about the game and doesn't constantly spew Duke hate.

captmojo
04-01-2014, 12:18 PM
I'm another who likes Doris. She is WAY better than most, IMO. Sometimes she talks too much, but at least she talks about the game and doesn't constantly spew Duke hate.

Well....not constantly. :D

Henderson
04-01-2014, 12:30 PM
The thing I like about Doris Burke is that she's knowledgable about the game and does her homework but doesn't have an entertainer's personality or exude sexuality as her primary reason for being on air. I need some down time after watching too much Dickie V, Kellogg, McGuire, Rafftery, Walton, Barkley, Knight, and Billy Packer over the years. Greg Anthony, JWill, and Bilas also work for me along the same lines. I'll take a pedant over a clown most days, just because there have been so many of the latter. Knight does the best job of mixing both aspects, but he too gets tiresome. Elmore I like because he knows what he's talking about, but he's just too grumpy to take for long stretches.

jv001
04-01-2014, 03:14 PM
The G-Man is the announcer I like best. GoDuke!

brevity
04-01-2014, 03:44 PM
The thing I like about Doris Burke is that she's knowledgable about the game and does her homework but doesn't have an entertainer's personality or exude sexuality as her primary reason for being on air.

That's always been the knock against Verne Lundquist.

Seriously though, are any on-air, game booth announcers guilty of the bolded part above? I always get the feeling Kevin Harlan wants to have sex with his own voice, and Marv Albert probably has. But generally I don't associate sexuality with that profession.

Atlanta Duke
04-01-2014, 04:29 PM

Seriously though, are any on-air, game booth announcers guilty of the bolded part above? I always get the feeling Kevin Harlan wants to have sex with his own voice, and Marv Albert probably has. But generally I don't associate sexuality with that profession.

Not with announcers and analysts, which are pretty much a mens club with exceptions like Doris Burke. Unlike local TV news anchors, sports announcers looks are no big deal since they are rarely on camera. Analysts are almost always ex-coaches and players who sell their knowledge of the game (at least initially - some then go into vaudeville like Vitale)

Sideline reporters, which include many more usually young women, are another matter - Erin Andrews did not get her start based on her mastery of Xs and Os

GGLC
04-01-2014, 05:51 PM

He's not the only one. I like Doris Burke a lot.

Henderson
04-01-2014, 07:40 PM

Game booth? No. But look at the clutch of females in football, and you quickly see that there are certain qualifications that Doris Burke doesn't have for that gig. Joe Namath never asked if he could kiss Marv Albert on live national TV. He might have wanted to, but I don't think he ever pulled the trigger.

gumbomoop
04-05-2014, 08:31 AM
A different kind of announcer carousel for tonight's semis, pretty interesting. Has this been discussed, and I just missed it?? Link comes from today's home page links, so thanks to them.

http://blog.syracuse.com/sports/2014/04/what_channel_is_the_final_four_on_there_are_three_ answers_to_that_question.html

sagegrouse
04-05-2014, 08:37 AM
A different kind of announcer carousel for tonight's semis, pretty interesting. Has this been discussed, and I just missed it??

http://blog.syracuse.com/sports/2014/04/what_channel_is_the_final_four_on_there_are_three_ answers_to_that_question.html

I read an article listed on the front page: national crew on TBS -- "school-friendly" crews on TNT and TRU. As I have no real use for any of the schools, I guess I'll record the national crew.

Sage
'Oh, my niece Gatorita reminds me that there are some family ties'

chalz
04-05-2014, 09:07 AM
Doris Burke is underrated. Thoroughly prepared and good at explaining the game. Many of her critics just can't get beyond the fact that she is a woman announcing men's basketball. I appreciate that she doesn't try to make herself the focus and actually concentrates on describing the game.

PSurprise
04-05-2014, 10:05 AM
Doris Burke is underrated. Thoroughly prepared and good at explaining the game. Many of her critics just can't get beyond the fact that she is a woman announcing men's basketball. I appreciate that she doesn't try to make herself the focus and actually concentrates on describing the game.

I would agree that she is prepared and explains the Xs and Os well. I think most people don't mind that she's a woman though. My only beef is that sometimes she doesn't.stop.talking.

brevity
04-05-2014, 11:54 AM
I think most people don't mind that she's a woman though. My only beef is that sometimes she doesn't.stop.talking.

Aren't the two concepts related?

(Ducking)

burnspbesq
04-05-2014, 02:43 PM

(Ducking)

Man, you better duck. And no, you can't hide behind me.

Doris is OK, but I think both Deb Antonelli (notwithstanding the Duke hate, which is entirely to be expected from a former NC State player) and Carolyn Peck are better.

Quint Kessenich is becoming ESPN's utility guy. He should stick to lacrosse, which he knows.

Henderson
04-05-2014, 02:44 PM

I would agree that she is prepared and explains the Xs and Os well. I think most people don't mind that she's a woman though. My only beef is that sometimes she doesn't.stop.talking.

(Ducking)

I think the job of the color commentator/analyst is to keep talking to make sure there is no dead space when the play-by-play announcer isn't calling the game and to make insightful comments. Burke does a good job of both, which is why she's on. The only problem would be if the color commentator got in the way by stepping on the play-by-play announcer's call of the game or babbled on about irrelevant stuff. I don't see Doris Burke doing either, and if she did, she'd hear it from her bosses and would have to back off.

And yeah, I think the fact that she is a female and gets tagged for talking too much are related. I also think there's a little bit of, "If you are commenting on a men's game, you should at least be hot."

weezie
04-05-2014, 08:29 PM
... I think the fact that she is a female and gets tagged for talking too much are related. I also think there's a little bit of, "If you are commenting on a men's game, you should at least be hot."

Lol :D.

Like all the dudes are hot.

gumbomoop
04-07-2014, 09:01 PM
Digger just announced his retirement, after 20 years at ESPN. "Threatened" to run for POTUS in '16.

Dukehky
04-07-2014, 11:38 PM
Digger just announced his retirement, after 20 years at ESPN. "Threatened" to run for POTUS in '16.

Thank goodness, he has been having trouble completing sentences for several years now.

luburch
04-08-2014, 12:16 AM

She is absolutely terrible. The sound of her voice is just awful and to top it off many of her comments are off base.

Duvall
04-08-2014, 12:21 AM
She is absolutely terrible. The sound of her voice is just awful and to top it off many of her comments are off base.

What does this even mean? The sound of her voice?