PDA

View Full Version : Game Day! -- Duke-Virginia

Bluedawg
09-08-2007, 12:20 PM
First series shows major flaws.

The two passes were line of scrimmage passes. on third down and long you throw down the field not across it.

throatybeard
09-08-2007, 12:34 PM
Sounds like we're already down 7-0. Keep the updates coming.

happydays1949
09-08-2007, 12:38 PM
14-0 Virginia

throatybeard
09-08-2007, 12:41 PM
Barely anyone touched that guy.

Can someone explain to me how we're getting worse each year?

dukeblue1206
09-08-2007, 01:19 PM
Do we have any soccer players we can use for field goal kickers? just cant be any worse.

Bluedawg
09-08-2007, 01:22 PM
Zach moved the ball far better than Thad. Any hope in keeping him in?

dkbaseball
09-08-2007, 01:24 PM

Once the players conclude that the coaches don't know what they're doing, their attitude heads south and keeps going in that direction. Reports last week of players appearing disinterested when coaches were talking to them on the bench were very telling, IMO.

Bluedawg
09-08-2007, 01:52 PM

Once the players conclude that the coaches don't know what they're doing, their attitude heads south and keeps going in that direction. Reports last week of players appearing disinterested when coaches were talking to them on the bench were very telling, IMO.

So are the reports that Duke does very few conditioning drills at practice. That explains there lack of energy the second half last week.

devildeac
09-08-2007, 02:19 PM
2nd and 23 , Duke ball at uva 31, int. with no Duke player within 5 yards of int. apparently 3rd time in red zone and 0 points. looking bleak.

Fish80
09-08-2007, 02:27 PM
CBS sportsline showing we scored in 3rd quarter. Anybody have details?

Stray Gator
09-08-2007, 02:31 PM
Now 17-13. Duke scored a TD, then recovered a fumble on the ensuing kickoff, but could only manage a FG after having first & goal from the 7.

devildeac
09-08-2007, 02:32 PM
no details on the TD to make it 10-17 but we just made a 21 yd. FG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! with 1:04 to go in the 3rd and are now down 13-17. I think I heard the announcers say that possession was about a minute and we gained 12 yds. So much for red zone efficiency, There is hope, however.

Fish80
09-08-2007, 02:33 PM
That's great! Thanks for the update.

devildeac
09-08-2007, 02:50 PM
uva drives down the field after the TD with a huge catch by a uva receiver with no Duke player with 5 yds of the receiver at the 5 yd line and he steps OOB on the 1 followed by 2 running plays and losses of 2 yds followed by a TD catch in the end zone with no Duke player within about 5 yds again. now, 13-24 with about 11 min. to go in the game:( . it is on Raycom/channel 12 in the RDU area.

dukeblue1206
09-08-2007, 02:57 PM
i just cant take it anymore with Surgan. Just go for it everytime on 4th. anyway we can rush Asack little bro onto the team to be the kicker?

DukeDude
09-08-2007, 02:58 PM
Duke had a nice drive going but couldn't overcome an offsides penalty and wound up missing another FG from a little over 40 yards. Under 7 minutes to go and UVA has the ball.

arnie
09-08-2007, 02:59 PM
Got to be the worst field goal kicker in the history of football. The extra point fg he made barely made it through and the 3 misses were way off (generally short distances).

I just don't understand why we have so many flaws. UVA is playing poorly but there is no chance of a Duke win.

devildeac
09-08-2007, 03:00 PM
nice start to the ensuing Duke drive slowed by an illegal procedure penalty at the uva 25 or so(what else is new). a long incompletion at the goal line(just overthrown but probably catchable), a draw for 9 yds and then another incompletion at the goal line(again, just overthrown or probably another catchable toss?) and then, drum roll please, a missed FG from about 35 yds. about 7 min to go. the defense looked gassed on uva's last posession. man, this is better than gametracker:(

devildeac
09-08-2007, 03:05 PM
the uva kicking game may be more woeful than ours. our 1st 2 pts. was on a snap over their punter's head out of the end zone, our next TD(I think) was set up by another bad snap over their punter's head and we just blocked their punt and recovered at about our 45 yd. line. Duke ball, 1st and 10 with under 4 min. to go. Go Devils!!!!!!!

devildeac
09-08-2007, 03:10 PM
4th and 16 from our 40 yd. line after losing 6 yds on 3 plays and Lewis gets sacked for another 10 yd loss, giving uva possession at about our 30. get the meat thermometer out cuz' I think the Devils are done. How many FG did Surgan miss and from how far?

devildeac
09-08-2007, 03:13 PM
3 and out for the 'hoos and only a 32 yd punt by their kicker-HOWVEVER, it rolled OOB at our 3 yd. line. 97 yds to go and 2 1/2 minutes. We had a few nice 2 min. driills last year-can we make it respectable?

devildeac
09-08-2007, 03:20 PM
ball over on downs to uva at our 35 with 15 sec to go. we had 3rd and 4 and threw a 3 yard pass-somebody 'splain that one to me please. The announcers made less than favorable comments about our kicking game and how 1 or 2 of the kicks really could have made a difference in the game. i did not see the 1st half. could someone summarize, please.

captmojo
09-08-2007, 03:20 PM
4th and 16 from our 40 yd. line after losing 6 yds on 3 plays and Lewis gets sacked for another 10 yd loss, giving uva possession at about our 30. get the meat thermometer out cuz' I think the Devils are done. How many FG did Surgan miss and from how far?

Missed 3, 45 yard shot and two chippies. He was also denied chance for PAT but scoreboard circumstances dictated that. Oh boy. Is there a next week?

captmojo
09-08-2007, 03:22 PM
Looks like Wake has a real chance against Nebraska.

ChrisP
09-08-2007, 03:25 PM
I hate to say it, but I really don't think so. I thought today vs. a mediocre (At best) UVA team might be our chance but...with our inept kicking game, we simply had no chance. There has gotta be someone at Duke who could walk on and kick better than Surgan. I'm with the poster who suggested we simply go for it on 4th instead of letting him on the field. Or how about a fake FG? Jeez...we'd probably screw that up, too!

captmojo
09-08-2007, 03:32 PM
Wake Forest loses after uncalled defensive holding, or interference at 4th down and ten. We are not alone at 0-2.

devildeac
09-08-2007, 03:42 PM
not only did the refs swallow their whistle on the uncalled holding or pass interference non-penalty on 4th and 10 but they also swallowed them on 2nd and 10 which would have given wake a 1st down about midfield but they also did not call holding or pass interfenece on the int, that was overturned, on 3rd and 10... it was almost as if neb was hanging on to wake's receivers and daring the zebras to call another penalty. wake had a qb sub as apparently skinner(?) was hurt last week. His sub,Hodges, threw a critical int. late in the 4th to stop a game-tying/winning drive by the deacs. no tears here, however, despite my moniker ;)

cspan37421
09-08-2007, 04:00 PM
Pretty disappointing in the kicking game again. Time to hold open tryouts?

Several times receivers were hit in the numbers or the hands and dropped the ball. Other times the ball was thrown short, into the ground, or into the fingertips of the UVA pass rush. How many times did Asack lob it high and out of bounds? Sad we could not take better advantage of so many good opportunities - like the blocked field goal (should have been able to run back all the way - but blocking missed on that and so many other plays).

I'm sure there's plenty of blame to go around, but players have to make plays. Yes, I would not call a line of scrimmage pass on 3rd and long, nor, given our lack of speed, would I spend much time runnning laterally. But to me I didn't see nearly as many bad coaching decisions as players just not making plays, whether it was catching the ball, throwing an accurate pass, punting far, or hitting a field goal.

Unless Roof is holding back a better place-kicker, or he's not setting a high enough standard for practice, I don't see how you blame him. Players have to make plays. He might have called a great game, for all I know, but if there's no kicking game, blocking is spotty, passes are inaccurate, and hands seem to be made of stone, what are you supposed to do except be more demanding?

Tough road ahead if this is the best they can play.

captmojo
09-08-2007, 04:14 PM
In retrospect, I have to say that I'm not exactly impressed with Virginia either. The first touchdown got to me. Their QB had three wide open receivers on that side of the field on that play, and he made the decision to pass to the only one who was not in the end zone. Sure, he scored, but to miss seeing the other two will make him feel bad when looking at game film. Both these teams have a tough row to hoe this season.:(

OZZIE4DUKE
09-08-2007, 04:57 PM
I saw only a few minutes of the 4th quarter after playing golf in a 2-day (Saturday and Sunday) tournament. As bad as Duke played, my golf today was worse. Not a good day all around :( Not sure if I'll watch the game on the DVR or not.

Ah, well, there is always tomorrow and next weekend.

Bob Green
09-08-2007, 05:11 PM
It doesn't get any easier next week as we travel to Evanston to take on 2 - 0 Northwestern (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=272510077&confId=5). Today, they scored with 21 seconds remaining to beat Nevada 36 - 31.

captmojo
09-08-2007, 05:38 PM
It doesn't get any easier next week as we travel to Evanston to take on 2 - 0 Northwestern (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=272510077&confId=5). Today, they scored with 21 seconds remaining to beat Nevada 36 - 31.

This only makes them overconfident.:rolleyes:

Fish80
09-08-2007, 05:38 PM
We really need a victory. But this game was close, and could have gone either way. I'll be pulling hard for these kids next week.

Lavabe
09-08-2007, 07:17 PM

To what reports are you referring? I am not in Durham. Is there a link about them?
Thanks,
Lavabe

JBDuke
09-08-2007, 09:55 PM
We really need a victory. But this game was close, and could have gone either way. I'll be pulling hard for these kids next week.

The only thing that kept it close, IMO, was that UVA made some terrible mistakes that gave us great field position. Left to our own devices, we struggled to move the ball at all most of the day. The score could easily have been a shut-out.

mapei
09-08-2007, 10:56 PM
The only thing that kept it close, IMO, was that UVA made some terrible mistakes that gave us great field position. Left to our own devices, we struggled to move the ball at all most of the day. The score could easily have been a shut-out.

But it wasn't close!

Was the FG kicker the same one who screwed up against UNC last year?

cspan37421
09-09-2007, 12:14 AM
1 other item: Duke QBs telegraphed their passes as clearly as I've ever seen. Not once did I see them first look in a direction other than the one they threw in.