PDA

View Full Version : Assistant Coaches Under Coach K

CharlestonDave
03-30-2014, 03:30 PM
I find it interesting and maybe it is just coincidental but the 4 college head coaches who were assistants under Coach K all are now coaching at schools with high academic standards.

Amaker at Harvard ,( although he did start out at Seton Hall), Collins at Northwestern, Dawkins at Stanford and Brey at Notre Dame.

Maybe Wojo's first job will be at Princeton or Yale or Rice.

Quinn Snyder did start out at Missouri so maybe it is just coincidental.

MCFinARL
03-30-2014, 04:36 PM
I find it interesting and maybe it is just coincidental but the 4 college head coaches who were assistants under Coach K all are now coaching at schools with high academic standards.

Amaker at Harvard ,( although he did start out at Seton Hall), Collins at Northwestern, Dawkins at Stanford and Brey at Notre Dame.

Well, you have to start somewhere. Ultimately I think this is a coincidence, except to the extent that experience at Duke would give a coach some idea of how to deal with recruiting and team leadership for an institution that imposes relatively high academic standards for both admission and continuing eligibility.

brevity
03-30-2014, 04:39 PM
...experience at Duke would give a coach some idea of how to deal with recruiting and team leadership for an institution that imposes relatively high academic standards for both admission and continuing eligibility.

Or you could look at it the other way: head coaching experience at an institution that imposes relatively high academic standards for both admission and continuing eligibility would properly prepare a coach for the eventual Duke job.

Jarhead
03-30-2014, 05:00 PM
Or you could look at it the other way: head coaching experience at an institution that imposes relatively high academic standards for both admission and continuing eligibility would properly prepare a coach for the eventual Duke job.

That's what I was going to say. Wojo works right in with the Coach K five year plan.

sagegrouse
03-30-2014, 05:04 PM

Brey's first HC gig was Delaware.

MCFinARL
03-30-2014, 05:54 PM

True enough.

conmanlhughes
03-30-2014, 07:21 PM
Per yahoo sports, Wojo is a canidate for the Marquette head coaching job.

Kdogg
03-30-2014, 07:46 PM
If you increase the sample size to all assistants who became head coaches under K it's a bit different. Tim O'Toole went to Fairfield University, Bob Bender to Illinois State then UW, Dave Henderson to Delaware. Only one was a player under K. I don't include Jeff Capel because he was a head coach at VCU and Oklahoma before he was a Duke assistant. (He coached under his Dad.)

Dukehky
03-30-2014, 08:25 PM

About time. Hate to see this much turnover on the bench in successive seasons, but it's time for Wojo to go run his own program.

tommy
03-30-2014, 08:53 PM

Yeah, it says a lot for Wojo that he's competing, apparently, with Ben Howland, who has taken 3 teams to the Final Four, and Cuonzo Martin, who is coming off an Elite 8 run with Tennessee. I know Howland must be itching to get back in the game, but I don't know why Martin would be interested in the Marquette job at this point. Tennessee seems like a better job, all things considered.

CDu
03-30-2014, 09:19 PM
Yeah, it says a lot for Wojo that he's competing, apparently, with Ben Howland, who has taken 3 teams to the Final Four, and Cuonzo Martin, who is coming off an Elite 8 run with Tennessee. I know Howland must be itching to get back in the game, but I don't know why Martin would be interested in the Marquette job at this point. Tennessee seems like a better job, all things considered.

It would make some sense for Howland, who loves physical, tenacious defense just like Marquette. I do wonder if Howland's price tag would be problematic. I agree about Martin. He has a pretty good gig at Tennessee. That would seem like, at best, a lateral move.

VAGentleman05
03-30-2014, 09:43 PM
It would make some sense for Howland, who loves physical, tenacious defense just like Marquette. I do wonder if Howland's price tag would be problematic. I agree about Martin. He has a pretty good gig at Tennessee. That would seem like, at best, a lateral move.

The Tennessee job is a terrible one, IMO. The fans were petitioning to fire Martin and re-hire Bruce Pearl just a few weeks before this Sweet 16 run. In any case, Wojo would be a much better hire for Marquette and he really fits their model of hiring very good high major assistants, as Crean and Williams were.

hustleplays
03-30-2014, 11:16 PM
About time. Hate to see this much turnover on the bench in successive seasons, but it's time for Wojo to go run his own program.

With great respect, I think that more coaching turnover might be good, and it may in fact be needed. Wojo has been an awesome contributor to our basketball program. He is also a very guard oriented coach, as has been most of Coach K's staff. Yes, I know he coached the Big Men, and I never ever thought that that made sense. I know this is a perennial issue, and every possible angle has been dissected to death on DBR, but that doesn't make it a non-issue.

This year's team, and this year's coaching, have been very disappointing to me. Not primarily because of the results in wins and losses and not because of not winning championships. Rather, because -- as many DBR posters and outside analysts have noted -- the significant underperformance of this year's hugely talented team, and WHY they underperformed. I felt that Coach K and our coaching staff were not imaginative and that they reverted to old habits in crunch time. And judging from Coach K's Mercer post game presser and the end of year presser, I was not reassured that he was fully willing and able to make a full, "root cause" After Action Review. I respect Coach K as a person, leader and coach immensely. But I have become concerned about what I saw this past season.

I would love to see the addition of a new assistant coach. And, yes, with no apologies and with great conviction, I would love to see the addition of a true BIG MAN coach who has played and excelled at the Center position. Coach K is not likely to have Laettner, Gminski, Zoubek and others coach the guards no matter how bright, knowledgeable and talented they may be re the game of basketball. I believe that there are deep perspectives, techniques and mindsets that come only from having played under the basket. Of course, Coach K would have to let the Big Man coach influence how both the offense and the defense work in order to take full advantage.

freshmanjs
03-30-2014, 11:24 PM
With great respect, I think that more coaching turnover might be good, and it may in fact be needed. Wojo has been an awesome contributor to our basketball program. He is also a very guard oriented coach, as has been most of Coach K's staff. Yes, I know he coached the Big Men, and I never ever thought that that made sense. I know this is a perennial issue, and every possible angle has been dissected to death on DBR, but that doesn't make it a non-issue.

This year's team, and this year's coaching, have been very disappointing to me. Not primarily because of the results in wins and losses and not because of not winning championships. Rather, because -- as many DBR posters and outside analysts have noted -- the significant underperformance of this year's hugely talented team, and WHY they underperformed. I felt that Coach K and our coaching staff were not imaginative and that they reverted to old habits in crunch time. And judging from Coach K's Mercer post game presser and the end of year presser, I was not reassured that he was fully willing and able to make a full, "root cause" After Action Review. I respect Coach K as a person, leader and coach immensely. But I have become concerned about what I saw this past season.

I would love to see the addition of a new assistant coach. And, yes, with no apologies and with great conviction, I would love to see the addition of a true BIG MAN coach who has played and excelled at the Center position. Coach K is not likely to have Laettner, Gminski, Zoubek and others coach the guards no matter how bright, knowledgeable and talented they may be re the game of basketball. I believe that there are deep perspectives, techniques and mindsets that come only from having played under the basket. Of course, Coach K would have to let the Big Man coach influence how both the offense and the defense work in order to take full advantage.

yes, because the final four teams have coaches who have played and excelled at the center position. oh wait, no they don't. never mind.

Dukehky
03-30-2014, 11:40 PM

We lost Dawkins a few years ago, we lost Collins last year, and I can only presume that our defense suffered because of it. Look at NU's defense with a vast talent deferential to Duke's. Capel is our little recruiting wunderkind and current big man coach. Losing Wojo would not help.

I think Wojo should leave and be an HC sooner rather than later, but it would not be a good thing for our team next year IMO. However, since a lot of people think that Wojo is the heir apparent to the thrown, I'd like to see him prove he can be successful at that position. K would tell him he should go if he gets the opportunity as he should. I'm also skeptical that K might promote the existing staff then add TT to the team. Is that a good call? IDK, but I would like to see someone who hasn't been with the program in a while to come back if we have to hire a new ac to inject a little new life into the whole ordeal.

Also, apparently Capel is getting some looks too.

sagegrouse
03-30-2014, 11:47 PM

"Hugely talented," but hugely limited, none the same.

Warning sign #1. One month into the season, Hairston and Thornton become starters, evidently because no one else understood or could play Duke defense. Duke without good defense is like whiskey without alcohol. It may taste good at first but is ultimately unsatisfying. And I do believe that the Duke coaching staff can coach defense (and a lot of other stuff)

Warning sign #2. Losses to weak Notre Dame and offensively challenged Clemson on the road, surrendering big leads. Oops! These aren't Kansas and Arizona. This team is lacking "grace under pressure," which is how Hemingway defined "courage." Is this "coaching?" The coaching was good enough to get a comfortable second-half margin.

Warning sign #3. Duke loses to Wake, which had lost nine out of ten games. No, the early season problems have not been corrected.

This is a team with real flaws. The flaws; how shall I count them? Weak at point guard, which is a sine qua non for great Duke teams. Poor defense from our best offensive performers, Jabari and Hood. Overall offensive weakness when Thornton and Jefferson (or Marshall) are both in the game; and I don't argue with their playing. Lack of intensity at critical times and in critical games.

I wonder how the "coaches reverted to old habits in crunch time?" This seems somewhat vapid as a criticism.

And "Wojo can't coach big men." That shibboleth was buried years ago and is even memorialized by Throatybeard in his 9F list.

Dukehky
03-30-2014, 11:56 PM
"Hugely talented," but hugely limited, none the same.

Warning sign #1. One month into the season, Hairston and Thornton become starters, evidently because no one else understood or could play Duke defense. Duke without good defense is like whiskey without alcohol. It may taste good at first but is ultimately unsatisfying. And I do believe that the Duke coaching staff can coach defense (and a lot of other stuff)

Warning sign #2. Losses to weak Notre Dame and offensively challenged Clemson on the road, surrendering big leads. Oops! These aren't Kansas and Arizona. This team is lacking "grace under pressure," which is how Hemingway defined "courage." Is this "coaching?" The coaching was good enough to get a comfortable second-half margin.

Warning sign #3. Duke loses to Wake, which had lost nine out of ten games. No, the early season problems have not been corrected.

This is a team with real flaws. The flaws; how shall I count them? Weak at point guard, which is a sine qua non for great Duke teams. Poor defense from our best offensive performers, Jabari and Hood. Overall offensive weakness when Thornton and Jefferson (or Marshall) are both in the game; and I don't argue with their playing. Lack of intensity at critical times and in critical games.

I wonder how the "coaches reverted to old habits in crunch time?" This seems somewhat vapid as a criticism.

And "Wojo can't coach big men." That shibboleth was buried years ago and is even memorialized by Throatybeard in his 9F list.

I think this is probably a reference to stall ball which was eloquently supported by somebody in a thread that was framed from Dr. Strangelove and single-handedly got me to change my mind on the tactic if it is run adequately.

The only question I really had with coaching was that the staff didn't make as many adjustments to game plans based on those limitations you listed, primarily defensively. That doesn't mean they didn't try, maybe the team couldn't execute, or maybe we just didn't notice. I think the more likely scenario is that with the talent we had, the coaches thought our ceiling was where we played the style of defense they tried to play, and the best way to get better was in game play. Who knows though. Only other thing was more Marshall all year round, but hind-sight is 20/20

J4Kop99
03-31-2014, 12:39 AM
Wojo out, Battier in?

Ky-Dukie
03-31-2014, 12:54 AM
Or maybe Laettner ? Battier would be good.

Edouble
03-31-2014, 02:57 AM

I would also add that Amaker coached at Michigan, which I would put above Notre Dame and Northwestern with regard to academic prestige.

Edouble
03-31-2014, 02:58 AM
I think this is probably a reference to stall ball which was eloquently supported by somebody in a thread that was framed from Dr. Strangelove and single-handedly got me to change my mind on the tactic if it is run adequately.

No. I think the "reverting to old habits" is in reference to abandoning the platoon system which seemed to bring energy to the team and work so well, and the insistence that we stick to our traditional man-to-man pressure defense.

I would have loved to see us stick with the platooning, pick up full court pressure, and run as much as we could have. I thought this was a great team to experiment with a Florida circa 2000 type of substitution/play.

Edouble
03-31-2014, 03:02 AM

I genuinely do not mean to be snarky, but I am curious as to what you mean by this. Without getting into the whole "small guy coaching the big guys" thing, you do note that Wojo coaches the bigs. Again, without opening that can of worms, why would you say that he is a guard oriented coach? He coaches the bigs.

Do you simply mean, "He played guard"?

sagegrouse
03-31-2014, 07:28 AM
Wojo out, Battier in?

How many electoral votes at Duke? Seriously, are there any assistants in college who made (and saved) as much money in the NBA ($56M) as Battier? And remember his megadollars in endorsement income from China as Yao's Houston teammate.

Wheat/"/"/"
03-31-2014, 08:32 AM
Didn't coach K offer Greg Monroe, Cody Zeller, Kaleb Tarkzewski, Julious Randle during Wojo's tenure?

I'd say if those players had committed, fans would be thinking Wojo was a big man savant.

CameronBornAndBred
03-31-2014, 09:30 AM
I'd say if those players had committed, fans would be thinking Wojo was a big man savant.
Maybe, maybe not. We have no idea how they would have done in K's system. I like the job that Wojo has done with our big guys, but it is still up to K to decide how they are used. Which I don't always like; I wish MP3 had been used more as an offensive weapon this year. In another system, he may have been.

Dukehky
03-31-2014, 09:59 AM
Maybe, maybe not. We have no idea how they would have done in K's system. I like the job that Wojo has done with our big guys, but it is still up to K to decide how they are used. Which I don't always like; I wish MP3 had been used more as an offensive weapon this year. In another system, he may have been.

Capel has been coaching the bigs for quite some time now.

CameronBornAndBred
03-31-2014, 10:07 AM
Oh yeah. Well, either way, he's a midget, too. ;) (Same height as me)

sagegrouse
03-31-2014, 10:13 AM

Jeff, who came to Duke three years ago, was "Minister without Portfolio" for a couple of years. I thought he took over the big men this year, after Collins left.

CameronBornAndBred
03-31-2014, 10:27 AM
If you would like to learn from Capel on how to play big, or from Wojo on how to play as a guard, or defend, or from Chris Collins on how to shoot, check out this series of videos. I had no idea they existed.

http://www.championshipproductions.com/cgi-bin/champ/p/Basketball/Duke-Basketball-Drills-Series_BD-04248.html

Troublemaker
03-31-2014, 11:02 AM
If you would like to learn from Capel on how to play big, or from Wojo on how to play as a guard, or defend, or from Chris Collins on how to shoot, check out this series of videos. I had no idea they existed.

http://www.championshipproductions.com/cgi-bin/champ/p/Basketball/Duke-Basketball-Drills-Series_BD-04248.html

FYI, some of that stuff is up on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=duke+basketball+drills

Troublemaker
03-31-2014, 11:28 AM
FYI, some of that stuff is up on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=duke+basketball+drills

More accurately, I should have said... some snippets of those videos are up on youtube

Here is a conditioning drill for defense (no band work): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdCkSww1D9g

Based on youtube likes/dislikes (60 to 1), we should definitely get back to using that drill.

The fun in some of these snippets is identifying which year it was filmed. In the conditioning for defense drill, it has to be the '05 team. Video is grainy, but both Daniel Ewing and Demarcus Nelson are in it.

MCFinARL
03-31-2014, 02:52 PM
I would be shocked if Shane went into coaching. He made a ton of money in the NBA and has stated that he'd like to open a technology firm when he retires. Maybe if Coach K asked him, Shane's sense of loyality would bring him in, but I doubt it.

Laettner on the other hand...was one of the wealthiest former athletes at one point. He made a legit run at buying the Memphis Grizzlies. Sadly, Laettner was killed in the financial crisis and had to declare bankruptcy. In addition, rumor has it that Laettner was almost literally killed by Shawne Merriman. Apparently, Merriman was an investor in Laettner's company before it went broke. Merriman won a large lawsuit against the company. I have read that Laettner is coaching in the NBDL now that he isn't super rich.

Yes, if Battier decided to go into coaching, it surely would not be for the money. He could probably be an excellent coach--but he could probably be excellent at so many things, he might be ready for a different choice at this point.

Henderson
04-01-2014, 09:48 AM
Yes, if Battier decided to go into coaching, it surely would not be for the money. He could probably be an excellent coach--but he could probably be excellent at so many things, he might be ready for a different choice at this point.

I just don't see it. Danny Manning spent 9 years as an assistant at Kansas before getting a head coaching gig at Tulsa. I just don't see Battier as a college assistant for years. I think his sights are higher than that. The only thing that could change that, in my view, is if he joined the Duke staff with the understanding that the head coaching job would be his in time. And I can't imagine the AD creating that kind of understanding. Let alone what that would do to the rest of the Duke staff.

MartyClark
04-01-2014, 03:06 PM
I just don't see it. Danny Manning spent 9 years as an assistant at Kansas before getting a head coaching gig at Tulsa. I just don't see Battier as a college assistant for years. I think his sights are higher than that. The only thing that could change that, in my view, is if he joined the Duke staff with the understanding that the head coaching job would be his in time. And I can't imagine the AD creating that kind of understanding. Let alone what that would do to the rest of the Duke staff.

Could you see Shane as A.D. at Duke somewhere down the road?

jv001
04-01-2014, 03:11 PM
Possible Duke assistants down the road: 1) Mike Gminski 2) Christian Laettner 3) Shane Battier 4) Grant Hill 5) Antonio Lang 6) DeMarcus Nelson 7) Nolan Smith 8) Jay Williams 10) Brian Zoubek 11) Tyler Thornton. I think Antonio Lang was reported to be on the short list a few years ago to become an assistant for Duke. GoDuke!

nmduke2001
04-01-2014, 03:49 PM
Possible Duke assistants down the road: 1) Mike Gminski 2) Christian Laettner 3) Shane Battier 4) Grant Hill 5) Antonio Lang 6) DeMarcus Nelson 7) Nolan Smith 8) Jay Williams 10) Brian Zoubek 11) Tyler Thornton. I think Antonio Lang was reported to be on the short list a few years ago to become an assistant for Duke. GoDuke!

Honestly, I think having someone from outside the Duke family might be good. Maybe someone from the Brad Stevens or Tom Izzo tree would bring a new perspective and approach that could be useful.

Bluedog
04-01-2014, 03:54 PM

Zoubs is a commercial real estate guy at a fancy firm in Manhattan...don't see him leaving that. Gminski and JWill also seem to have good gigs going for them (Hill too, for that matter). Is DeMarcus still in Serbia? The obvious omission from the above is Paulus since he's on the coaching staff at Ohio St. I think we're going to bring somebody in we're not thinking about, though...

superdave
04-01-2014, 04:02 PM

Lang is currently the head coach here: http://basketball.asia-basket.com/team/Japan/Mitsubishi_Diamond_Dolphins/1701

CameronBornAndBred
04-01-2014, 04:06 PM
I really don't see either Gman or Jay as options. Both are enjoying careers in broadcasting, and Williams is also a managing partner in a sports marketing firm. I think time is not on Gminski's side, if he were interested. He's 54, and never coached, so that's an odd time to get in the game now.

I do like the other guys on your list, but wonder at either Battier or Hill starting anew at the bottom. Anyone on your list would have to, like it or not. Know what Johnny Dawkins job was when he came back to Duke? Ticket office. It worked out well for him, but even with a decent NBA career he didn't have the status that Battier and Hill do now. Hell, people would show up at the ticket office for autographs more than tickets if Hill and Battier took that job.

As others have said, TT is still a few years away, he is far too fresh. He needs to go have some fun and explore the world, and he will.
Here's a name for you that I haven't seen. Trajan Langdon. Awesome overseas career, very basketball smart, currently working for the Spurs as a scout.

NashvilleDevil
04-01-2014, 04:11 PM

I have been hearing from people that Nick Horvath runs a mean closed practice. I think he is your front runner.

CameronBornAndBred
04-01-2014, 04:15 PM
I have been hearing from people that Nick Horvath runs a mean closed practice. I think he is your front runner.
But he will unexpectedly jump ship for the first NBA assistant job that pops up.:rolleyes:

Cameron
04-01-2014, 04:20 PM
Here's your got damn guy.

http://www.nationofblue.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/pg2_ap_claettner1_576.jpg

He's got all the qualities. Credibility, toughness, knowledge of the game and prestige. And most importantly, he's a damn winner. I'd love that hire, and since it was mentioned, I am now craving it.

jv001
04-01-2014, 04:31 PM
Lang is currently the head coach here: http://basketball.asia-basket.com/team/Japan/Mitsubishi_Diamond_Dolphins/1701

That's a good get on Antonio Lang. Sporks! Thanks for the info. GoDuke!

Spoke too soon about sporks, must spread some around first. GoDuke!

devildeac
04-01-2014, 06:40 PM
But he will unexpectedly jump ship for the first NBA assistant job that pops up.:rolleyes:

Can I take that to the bank?;)

Tripping William
04-01-2014, 07:47 PM
Here's your got damn guy.

http://www.nationofblue.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/pg2_ap_claettner1_576.jpg

He's got all the qualities. Credibility, toughness, knowledge of the game and prestige. And most importantly, he's a damn winner. I'd love that hire, and since it was mentioned, I am now craving it.

And height. You forgot height. I have questions, though, about his lateral quickness. ;-)

Tripping William
04-01-2014, 07:55 PM
Can I take that to the bank?;)

Only against DePaul.

greybeard
04-01-2014, 11:08 PM

"Make each word tell." Elements of Style. Congratulations.

Troublemaker
04-02-2014, 08:54 AM
The Scheyer upgrade to assistant coach isn't a done deal. GoDuke didn't release an official statement. No other local beat reporters have corroborated.

And Laura Keeley herself clarifies (http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/04/01/3749564/dukes-wojciechowski-named-marquette.html?sp=/99/103/):

Jon Scheyer is expected to take Wojciechowski’s position with the Blue Devils. Scheyer, 26, graduated from Duke in 2010 and joined the staff as a special assistant prior to this season. The Blue Devils are expected to take their time finding a replacement for Scheyer’s position.

Gthoma2a
04-02-2014, 02:54 PM
Laettner would make our teams so much tougher. We would not be able to have fear of the moment. He knows how to get under a player's skin to get him to do the right thing. He would make it to where "BoringJabari" wouldn't be a thing anymore (the Twitter account).

"SWEEP THE LEG, JABARI!!! SWEEP THE LEG!!!"

Edit, I do not/am not actually advocating violence and this is a joking metaphor for attacking 24/7 on both ends of the court. No settling for a jump shot, when a drive is there.