PDA

View Full Version : Want to get a good laugh about Coach K?

tommy
03-29-2014, 03:26 AM
So the dominant topic on sports talk radio this morning here in LA were the "reports" that the Lakers were going to be reaching out to Coach K to see if he's interested in taking the Lakers job. I suppose they can ask, but the idea of Coach having the slightest interest in that (lousy) job at this point is patently absurd, of course, for a whole host of reasons. Me? I suspect it's a setup for something April Fool's-related. So consider yourselves warned.

MCFinARL
03-29-2014, 10:00 AM
So the dominant topic on sports talk radio this morning here in LA were the "reports" that the Lakers were going to be reaching out to Coach K to see if he's interested in taking the Lakers job. I suppose they can ask, but the idea of Coach having the slightest interest in that (lousy) job at this point is patently absurd, of course, for a whole host of reasons. Me? I suspect it's a setup for something April Fool's-related. So consider yourselves warned.

If he didn't want it last time, I can't imagine why he would want it this time. Interesting.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-29-2014, 10:43 AM

Personally, I don't find any rumors regarding Coach K leaving to be even remotely amusing.

I do agree that it looks far less attractive now than it did 10 years ago.

BD80
03-29-2014, 10:50 AM

You mean something along the lines that the fix is in that the Lakers will get Jabari with the #2 pick, and that Jabari and Coach K will hold a joint conference announcing they're both going pro?

I think the odds are better that Coach K will be coaching Jabari at Duke next year than he will be coaching anywhere else.

Troublemaker
03-29-2014, 11:58 AM
Sampling of Lakers fans discussing this on a message board (http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=167811&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=325) as part of a coaching search thread.

Nothing too interesting. Only read if you enjoy Schadenfreude of the variety where people discuss something they have no chance at.

710 was throwing out coach k's name all day after there 1st round exit. Personally my first choice and the timing could not be more perfect for him IMO.

just heard about coach k on 710 too... i say yes, that is if coach k would be interested.

Promise Coach K Lebron, Promise Lebron Coach K. Match made in heaven. Top 10 Pick to boot.

I want someone who's respected (like Phil was). Only "available" coach that fits this mold is Coach K. Too bad he's happy at the collegiate level.

i would love coach k, but we almost got him in 2004, but after not getting him back then he was committed to duke, and he's gotten to scratch his NBA itch through coaching Team USA.

Coach K can do it. Brad Stevens is doing well within it. Larry Brown did it. What about the college game precludes player development and respect? If anything NBA players are more willing to listen than college kids, most NBA players need the coaching. This is their livelihood

Coach K all the way. Kobe respects him. Hopefully we get parker in the draft too. But if not, Coach K would be a huge improvement on what we have now.

Duke had an early round exit so now is the time to offer K the job (unofficially). We could make it official the day after the season ends.

Coach K will never coach the Lakers. He's established himself as one of the greatest coaches in college basketball and in Duke he's treated like a king. Why would he want to come to LA and this mess?

I highly doubt at his age, Coach K leaves Duke. He gets the best of everything there, and bear in mind, he gets the equivalent of 3 top 10 NBA draft picks each year, regardless of how far they get in the Tourney.

If Coach K did decide to go pro (which I highly doubt) I think he would do pretty well, he has been a substantial part of USA basketball for some time now so he has a solid foundation with a number of NBA marquee players, having said that it's really, really hard me to imagine a scenario where he considers leaving duke, I mean he practically is Duke.

I agree with both of you. Coach K has a sweet deal at Duke. It would be very tough to get him. That's why the Lakers should offer him anything and everything he wants to come and join us (for starters: a bunch of $$$). Call me a cynic but everyone has a price.

I know it's risky betting heavy on a college coach. But there aren't very many coaches in general out there who [1] can command Kobe's respect, [2] excels at player development, and [3] has good credentials that would impress laker fans and media.

[Note: the bolded words were their emphasis.]

Isn't this getting into Rudy T territory a bit? Throw tons of money at a championship coach. May not work out and you're on the hook for lots of $ (which is a recurring problem for the Lakers).

Also, don't know if $ alone will get Coach K out of Duke. He's a god there.

It's like running for the US Senate once you've been a 2 term President. Eh.

Your president to senator argument makes sense. But every college coach who wants to go pro has to do that. Not every good college coach is as old as Coach K. But I can't think of any coach younger than him that Kobe would respect more.

Maybe Phil will be the only coach kobe ever respected. But I want to see if Coach K can reel him in a little. No more 48 minute games. No more kobe brings down the ball and posts every time we need a bucket.

chaosmage
03-29-2014, 02:39 PM
Wonder if it happened, and that was the whole reason for the press conference?

yeah, I'm paranoid.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-29-2014, 02:58 PM
Wonder if it happened, and that was the whole reason for the press conference?

yeah, I'm paranoid.

So... the reason for the press conference that he led off by saying he would be at Duke for five more years was that he was planning to leave? I don't follow.

CameronBornAndBred
03-29-2014, 03:23 PM
So... the reason for the press conference that he led off by saying he would be at Duke for five more years was that he was planning to leave? I don't follow.
I think he is saying that IF he was approached, or had heard wind that LA was thinking about asking again, he may have decided to shut down any talk before it even got started.

P.S...I like the comment from the guy above saying that K gets to scratch his NBA itch coaching the Olympic team. I hadn't thought about that, but it is very likely true.

gep
03-29-2014, 03:31 PM
P.S...I like the comment from the guy above saying that K gets to scratch his NBA itch coaching the Olympic team. I hadn't thought about that, but it is very likely true.

Yes... That is what I remember. Lakers came in 2004... Then he coaches the national team from 2006. Not only the best NBA players.... But he gets to choose which ones he wants to coach. Yes... I think his itch to coach NBA players is more than satisfied ;-)

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-29-2014, 03:44 PM
I think he is saying that IF he was approached, or had heard wind that LA was thinking about asking again, he may have decided to shut down any talk before it even got started.

That's what I have always figured. A fortunate compromise for us!

Kdogg
03-29-2014, 05:25 PM
Mitch Kupchak is still the GM there so maybe it's negative recruiting on Carolina's behalf. :) We should start a rumor that Roy's interested.

Class of '94
03-29-2014, 05:32 PM
There's been alot of buzz here in the Detroit metro area that the Pistons relatively new owner wants Tom Izzo to be the coach of the Pistons for next season and beyond. Izzo has always been rumored to have a desire to coach in the NBA; and many people here speculate that if Izzo were to win his second NC, he would leave for the right opportunity in the NBA. Izzo is a state of Michigan guy; but if Mich St wins the NC this year, he might be interested in the Lakers job (if not the Pistons). The question then would be if the Lakers would be interested in Izzo. He might not be the splashy hire that the Lakers organization would want to make, considering how they chose not to bring back Phil Jackson (which would make sense why the Lakers would consider making another run at K because a hire like that would be big enough and splash enough imo to block out the fact that they blew it with Jackson).