PDA

View Full Version : Schadenfreude: Whom are you rooting Against -- and why?

tommy
03-28-2014, 07:05 PM
I have to admit, once Duke loses in the tournament, I find myself rooting against teams more than rooting for others. It's not a good quality, I know, but there it is. The main reasons I root against teams (reasons to justify rooting against UNC are too obvious to need detailing) are either personal, or out of some (usually strange) sense of protecting Duke or Coach K's legacy in some way.

Mods - I know another thread has gone in this direction a bit, so if you want to combine, feel free. But I honestly was going to start this thread this morning, though I should've done it before the Sweet 16 began.

So here's who I'm rooting against, and why. What about you guys?

1. Arizona. I have several friends who are U of A grads, and they're just obnoxious about basketball. The fans, since the Lute days, have always had an arrogance about their program, as if they think theirs doesn't stink. Holier than thou. It's better under Miller, but still the fans remain the same. I also am concerned that Miller may be building a dynasty there, one that one day may threaten what K has put together over the decades at Duke. Miller is young, an excellent recruiter, a very good coach, has already established deep and solid connections with the top AAU programs, and has had significant recruiting success on the east coast as well as his natural western area. He's going to win championships, so each year that he misses, especially given those arrogant fans, is a good thing. Also: as discussed in another thread, this team could be just killer next year if they don't lose early entries, or even if they lose one. My concern is back-to-back championships. I know Florida did it since we did, but every team that does it diminishes in some way the greatness of what we did back in '91-'92, if only because the more often something is done the less special it is.

2. Michigan State. As discussed in another thread, I just don't buy into the whole Izzo-love thing. Good coach, but not as good as the media would have us think. And I really want all the media types who in true lemming style, just about all picked MSU to go all the way in this tournament, to be wrong. Very wrong. I've also seen Izzo up close, when the media isn't watching, and I think he's kind of a nasty guy. He can stay at one championship as far as I'm concerned.

3. Florida. I like Donovan but he's got the two championships already. Win this year and he's within one of K, and I don't like that.

4. Michigan. I actually have a lot of family who are UM grads, so I really shouldn't be rooting against them. But there's a little in-family competition with Duke, and as also discussed in another thread, and above, Michigan has a potential to be a monster next year if they don't lose early entries, or even if they lose just one. My fear here is a back-to-back championship, diminishing the specialness of what Duke did. Same issue there as with Arizona.

5. Louisville. They win it and not only does Pitino get championship #3, closing to within one of Coach K, but he also would have back-to-backs. Don't like anybody getting those but us.

6. Kentucky. Can't stand Calipari and what he stands for, and I think he's a cheater.

7. UConn. Just don't like this program, as Calhoun was just not a good guy, and I think a cheater as well. Academic problems, crime problems, all of it. I know Calhoun is gone, but it's going to take awhile for the taint of him to dissipate for me.

Of the remaining Sweet 16, I also didn't want Baylor (Scott Drew: smarmy and a cheater) but they're gone.

I have no real reason to root against Tennessee, Virginia, UCLA, San Diego State, Wisconsin, Dayton, Stanford, or Iowa State. Of course, plenty of reason to root for Stanford, but they, UCLA, and SDSU are gone. So that leaves me with rooting for Tennessee, Virginia, Wisconsin, Dayton, and Iowa State. Against those big 7 above. I think I'm going to end up unhappy. Go Wahoos! Go Badgers!

Marc81
03-28-2014, 07:10 PM
I have to admit, once Duke loses in the tournament, I find myself rooting against teams more than rooting for others. It's not a good quality, I know, but there it is. The main reasons I root against teams (reasons to justify rooting against UNC are too obvious to need detailing) are either personal, or out of some (usually strange) sense of protecting Duke or Coach K's legacy in some way.

Mods - I know another thread has gone in this direction a bit, so if you want to combine, feel free. But I honestly was going to start this thread this morning, though I should've done it before the Sweet 16 began.

1. Arizona. I have several friends who are U of A grads, and they're just obnoxious about basketball. The fans, since the Lute days, have always had an arrogance about their program, as if they think theirs doesn't stink. Holier than thou. It's better under Miller, but still the fans remain the same. I also am concerned that Miller may be building a dynasty there, one that one day may threaten what K has put together over the decades at Duke. Miller is young, an excellent recruiter, a very good coach, has already established deep and solid connections with the top AAU programs, and has had significant recruiting success on the east coast as well as his natural western area. He's going to win championships, so each year that he misses, especially given those arrogant fans, is a good thing. Also: as discussed in another thread, this team could be just killer next year if they don't lose early entries, or even if they lose one. My concern is back-to-back championships. I know Florida did it since we did, but every team that does it diminishes in some way the greatness of what we did back in '91-'92, if only because the more often something is done the less special it is.

2. Michigan State. As discussed in another thread, I just don't buy into the whole Izzo-love thing. Good coach, but not as good as the media would have us think. And I really want all the media types who in true lemming style, just about all picked MSU to go all the way in this tournament, to be wrong. Very wrong. I've also seen Izzo up close, when the media isn't watching, and I think he's kind of a nasty guy. He can stay at one championship as far as I'm concerned.

3. Florida. I like Donovan but he's got the two championships already. Win this year and he's within one of K, and I don't like that.

4. Michigan. I actually have a lot of family who are UM grads, so I really shouldn't be rooting against them. But there's a little in-family competition with Duke, and as also discussed in another thread, and above, Michigan has a potential to be a monster next year if they don't lose early entries, or even if they lose just one. My fear here is a back-to-back championship, diminishing the specialness of what Duke did. Same issue there as with Arizona.

5. Louisville. They win it and not only does Pitino get championship #3, closing to within one of Coach K, but he also would have back-to-backs. Don't like anybody getting those but us.

6. Kentucky. Can't stand Calipari and what he stands for, and I think he's a cheater.

7. UConn. Just don't like this program, as Calhoun was just not a good guy, and I think a cheater as well. Academic problems, crime problems, all of it. I know Calhoun is gone, but it's going to take awhile for the taint of him to dissipate for me.

Of the remaining Sweet 16, I also didn't want Baylor (Scott Drew: smarmy and a cheater) but they're gone.

I have no real reason to root against Tennessee, Virginia, UCLA, San Diego State, Wisconsin, Dayton, Stanford, or Iowa State. Of course, plenty of reason to root for Stanford, but they, UCLA, and SDSU are gone. So that leaves me with rooting for Tennessee, Virginia, Wisconsin, Dayton, and Iowa State. Against those big 7 above. I think I'm going to end up unhappy. Go Wahoos! Go Badgers!

Yep, Kentucky has to go! I think I will root for Virginia now that Stanford is out.

Tripping William
03-28-2014, 07:10 PM
ABUK. I saw an 18-20-year- old kid at PNC in Raleigh last Friday with one of those "I Still Hate Laettner" t-shirts. I did a triple-take. Nuff said for me.

Atlanta Duke
03-28-2014, 07:25 PM
ABUK. I saw an 18-20-year- old kid at PNC in Raleigh last Friday with one of those "I Still Hate Laettner" t-shirts. I did a triple-take. Nuff said for me.

Yep - root for Louisville tonight then I am done with them if they beat UK - only root for UK against the Tar Heels and I am no Pitino fan

Rooting for anybody but Florida in the South/East brackets (with three championships Donovan will be getting close to K and there are too many overly exuberant Gator fans in Atlanta)

My nightmare is a Florida v. UK or Louisville national championship

Rooting for UVA and Dayton

hurleyfor3
03-28-2014, 07:32 PM
Loovul and Flawda. Don't want any other coach with three.

Honestly wouldn't mind Kentucky winning it. I said this earlier, they could win the next 43 championships and their fans would still be unhappy. They're like the Westboro Baptist Church of fanbases, they hate so many things that aren't themselves it's not clear what they really like.

Tripping William
03-28-2014, 08:06 PM
If it's UConn & UK in the title game, I think I'd pay for Laettner to be courtside, just for the inevitable CBS camera shot. That would be <ahem> "special." :)

NSDukeFan
03-28-2014, 08:13 PM

I agree with Tommy's teams but not sure if the order was intentional or just listing all the teams to root against. I also like some of UK's players and find Calipari quite fascinating, but I almost always root against them (I loved watching Davis and Kidd-Gilchrist play.) Louisville, MSU and Florida would probably be next for who I would cheer against, then maybe UConn and Michigan, but I would be ok with them winning. Go UVa.

WeepingThomasHill
03-28-2014, 08:14 PM
I am rooting hard against Michigan. Have hated them since the Fab 5 days, and that hatred grows each year. Beilein has such a punchable face.

No good choice between Louisville and UK. Both coaches are dirtbags.

FerryFor50
03-28-2014, 08:15 PM
Who I am rooting against, in order:

1. Kentucky - hate Calipari. Dislike the Harrison twins. Hate the program.
2. Louisville - Not a Pitino fan. Still bitter over the loss last year.
3. Arizona - I'm not a huge Miller fan and am shocked that Tarczewski never fouls out of games, but like most of the rest of their team. However, still bitter over the Derek Williams game.

Outside of that, don't care. I hated UConn for a while, but now that Calhoun is gone, don't have a problem with them. Kevin Ollie is a solid coach and seems like a good guy.

Florida and UVA are a little overrated to me, but the tourny helps sort that out.

I'd like to see a team that hasn't won it before pull it off. Dayton, ISU (really like Hoiberg and the Cyclones style of play), Wisconsin (though I don't like Bo Ryan... plus he looks like Skeletor)... those are who I'm pulling for.

OldPhiKap
03-28-2014, 08:23 PM
No good choice between Louisville and UK. Both coaches are dirtbags.

If the thunder don't get you, then the lightning will.

Dukehky
03-28-2014, 08:31 PM
Louisville- I love Russ Smith, Hancock, and Harrell, but I don't want Pitino to get his 3rd ring, that's too close to K. He is a really good college coach and the landscape of college basketball could have been very different if he didn't bail few times to try his luck in the league. That being said, he's certainly not my favorite

Florida: Billy Donovan is a slimeball. Wilbekin should have been kicked off the team twice, but Billy knew he couldn't win without him. According to Donovan's team rules, he shouldn't be on the team. (Note: I'm really glad to see that Scotty has turned it around and has shown he is a great on court leader and has kept it together off the court, good for him). I also don't want Donovan to get his 3rd ring, also too close to K.

UVA: Reasons previously stated, but I have been swayed to be okay with them winning it all, but if I had my druthers I'd like a Finals run with a loss to somebody other than the teams on this list

Kentucky: I actually really like the kids on that team (Randle, Young, Cauley-Stein, Poythress), but they're Kentucky, and they're coached by the slimiest of the slimy.

UCONN: Duh, they and their striped friends robbed us of 2 more national titles, rot in hell.

Big 10 Schools: No real aversion to MSU, Wiscy, or Mich winning other than I think it's hilarious that they claim to be the best conference year in and year out, but they haven't won a title since 2000 and have won 3 in the past 30 years (IU-87, UM- 89, MSU-00). I would like for that joke to continue.

That leaves me with AZ- whom I have no real problem with I guess, and Iowa State which really could have won this thing if Niang hadn't gotten hurt, that was just brutal.
Arizona would probably have won this thing had Ashley not gotten hurt, and it would show incredible fortitude if they could win despite that.

Dayton and Tennessee I don't really think have any real shot at winning, but whatever go for it you flying volunteers.

uh_no
03-28-2014, 08:33 PM

seems to be really hard to hate ollie, though....so far seems to be doing things the right way....good academic rating in his first go around, and was able to hold the team together without tourney aspirations....i haven't seen anything to indicate he's not a stand up guy, and his NBA career more than demonstrates his ability to work hard.

brevity
03-28-2014, 08:45 PM
I have no objections to Arizona, and the Miller brothers are a nice story, but I heard something at the end of the Arizona-SDSU game that gave me pause. One of the announcers said, quite matter-of-factly, that Sean Miller was the best coach never to reach a Final Four. And then I saw it here (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/sean-miller-aims-to-shed-the-title-of-best-coach-never-to-reach-the-final-four-054428249.html) and other places.

Uh, is this a thing? And how come we weren't consulted? There at least should be some discussion. And if anything, you'd think that Sean Miller's next opponent has something to say on the topic.

weezie
03-28-2014, 08:55 PM
Which games? Oh yeah, hoops games...AZ for me, I like Miller and I've got some family blood in the fan base. The rest can go...whatever.

I live about an hour north of uva, I'm hearing a lot of whining about the late tip tonight from sleepy hoos.
Amateurs.

Plus, I'm packing for chilly Detroit and Opening Day, leaving tomorrow am. Can't wait to cheer Miggy and JV on Monday, no matter what the weather.
PLAY BALL!

hurleyfor3
03-28-2014, 08:55 PM
Uh, is this a thing? And how come we weren't consulted? There at least should be some discussion.

Lefty? Norm Stewart? Gene Keady? Among active coaches, maybe.

Newton_14
03-28-2014, 09:02 PM
Great thread Tommy (Yes folks I have finally brought myself to be able to post again after last weeks debacle). I am actually pulling hard for UVA to win this thing. Once Duke loses I go into pull for the ACC except unc-cheat mode. I go all in on that. Even pulled for Maryland (gasp) in 02. I just feel it would be great for the ACC if UVA finds a way to do this and I like Bennett and Joe Harris.

I am pulling against Kentucky and think it a crime that they figured out how to play their best game of the season against a great Wichita St team that deserved to win in my opinion.

I don't want any of the teams you mentioned to win it either. Especially Florida and Louisville. Let's hang onto that two title lead for K. I'm OK with Wisconsin winning it. Iowa St too.

I will certainly being pulling for Louisville tonight and pulling like crazy for UVA to take out Sparty.

Henderson
03-28-2014, 10:35 PM
I have to admit, once Duke loses in the tournament, I find myself rooting against teams more than rooting for others. It's not a good quality, I know, but there it is.

No, it's a good and wholesome quality. Feeling guilty for negative thoughts about evil-doers is a naive 19th century protestant affectation and not normal.

Here's my priority order:

1. Duke wins. Period. Very little else ever matters past that.

2. Carolino delenda est. Very close second.

3. I love the game, so the rest is just anti-sleaze protection against coaches who besmirch the game. Meaning Kentucky must suffer a humiliating loss, even if to (oh gawd) Lvlle.

Hatred, like hot pepper sauce, is to be savored for the way in which it gratefully sears and purifies the soul.

WillJ
03-28-2014, 10:36 PM
Go Blue. Michigan Blue, that is. But then, after all these years of being a Duke fan, Phil Hubbard is still my favorite player of all time. Dating myself.

Dukehky
03-29-2014, 12:34 AM
Go Blue. Michigan Blue, that is. But then, after all these years of being a Duke fan, Phil Hubbard is still my favorite player of all time. Dating myself.

Tommy said something about Izzo kinda being a jerk. I watched him closely tonight and I now concur. All he does is scream the whole game, at literally everyone. There seems to be very little coaching, but instead all negative reinforcement. Oh well, they are just gonna smack Connecticut, which is fine with me.

I wanted Louisville to lose tonight to get the 3 rings for Pitino and back to backs out of the way as early as possible. Now I will root against UK with all every fiber of my being.

richardjackson199
03-29-2014, 01:41 PM
Agree with Tommy's reasoning.
At this point, it's very unlikely but most important outcomes for me (in this order) would be that:
1. Kentucky lose ASAP.
2. Florida lose.
3. Arizona lose.

Of the teams left in the Elite 8, I would most like to see Dayton or Wisconsin win it all. Not likely, but that's best case scenario.
Next would be UConn. I never thought I'd say it. Kevin Ollie is a great guy, does things the right way, and I like all UConn's current players. Fun to watch.
Next would be Michigan and Michigan State. Not ideal, but better that either of them win than UK, UF, or UA.

If I could only get one wish, I'll take Kentucky losing to Michigan. :)

MCFinARL
03-29-2014, 01:57 PM
Who I am rooting against, in order:

1. Kentucky - hate Calipari. Dislike the Harrison twins. Hate the program.
2. Louisville - Not a Pitino fan. Still bitter over the loss last year.
3. Arizona - I'm not a huge Miller fan and am shocked that Tarczewski never fouls out of games, but like most of the rest of their team. However, still bitter over the Derek Williams game.

Outside of that, don't care. I hated UConn for a while, but now that Calhoun is gone, don't have a problem with them. Kevin Ollie is a solid coach and seems like a good guy.

Florida and UVA are a little overrated to me, but the tourny helps sort that out.

I'd like to see a team that hasn't won it before pull it off. Dayton, ISU (really like Hoiberg and the Cyclones style of play), Wisconsin (though I don't like Bo Ryan... plus he looks like Skeletor)... those are who I'm pulling for.

Skeletor--interesting. I always think he looks like the Grinch.

Otherwise, I generally agree with your post. At this point hoping against hope for Dayton and Wisconsin to advance; barring that I would probably settle for any scenario not involving a Florida-Kentucky final, even if it means Arizona wins.

NSDukeFan
03-29-2014, 02:42 PM

Otherwise, I generally agree with your post. At this point hoping against hope for Dayton and Wisconsin to advance; barring that I would probably settle for any scenario not involving a Florida-Kentucky final, even if it means Arizona wins.

Arizona would be one of the teams I would be ok with winning as well. I would like to see MSU not advance, not because of any dislike for them or Izzo, but because of another thread on this board.

nocilla
03-29-2014, 02:52 PM
I'm pulling for Michigan, Wisconsin, Dayton, and UConn to make the Final 4. With a Final of Dayton and Wisconsin. Realistically, I think Florida wins this thing.

JNort
03-29-2014, 03:44 PM
Rooting against: Florida, Kentucky, Dayton

Rooting for: UofL and Wisconsin

MartyClark
03-29-2014, 04:46 PM
I'm really cranky since Duke and Colorado both lost in the first round. I'm rooting against everyone. It makes no sense but I'm very bitter about Duke's early exit.

SoCalDukeFan
03-29-2014, 04:55 PM
I used to root against the Uconnvicts but now that Calhoun is gone, don't.

I used to root against KY because they are KY but now I admire what Cal is able to do with frosh so I don't.

SoCal

Henderson
03-29-2014, 05:09 PM
I'm rooting against everyone.

I'm cynical enough to like this. It's a strategy to guarantee that you will be 50% happy every game day that Duke (or in your case apparently, Colorado) is not playing. Could be worse.

I used to teach graduate school at a university in Alabama (not Auburn or Univ. of Alabama). My first year there, I kept getting asked whether I was for Alabama or Auburn. At first I demurred, not wanting to alienate one side or the other, saying honestly that I wasn't really a college football fan, being a Duke grad (sorry, but this was the 80s). But people kept on me about it, telling me I really had to choose. Finally, in frustration, I started telling them I was "for" any team playing either Auburn or Alabama, and if they played each other, I was for a zero-zero tie with lots of injuries (kidding about the injuries of course).

That shut them up. Hah!

Strangely, I received fewer invitations to social events after that. To this day, I have no clue why.

gurufrisbee
03-29-2014, 05:20 PM
Among the elite eight I definitely see more to root against than to root for.

Rooting against:

1) UConn. They have two titles that they don't deserve that should have been Duke's. Their fans are the most self centered and obnoxious fans I know this side of UNC. And they totally break more rules and cheat than anyone.

2) Kentucky. I respect the value of a college education too much.

3) Mich St. They play thug basketball and I don't have any respect for that.

4) Florida. Don't want Donovan getting a third.

5) Arizona. I live in Pac 12 country and usually root for the local team (Washington) which means rooting against other teams a lot. Including them.

6) Michigan. I really would be fine with them, but I saw that horrible 30 for 30 about the Fab Five and how they totally have not gotten over being thumped by Duke and now I kind of don't want to see them win one. Let them keep missing Glen Rice a little more.

_Gary
03-29-2014, 05:41 PM

Tommy, get out of my mind!!! LOL, but in all seriousness I see those teams just like you do. And unfortunately, it's all but a sure bet one of them cuts down the nets. We'll need a divine intervention to prevent one of the six remaining teams you mentioned (Louisville is out) to not win it all. I don't like the chances of either Dayton (whom I'm not crazy about anyhow) or Wisconsin (ugh anyhow, Big Ten) to pull off enough upsets to win it all.

As I mentioned in the other thread - this Tournament really stinks. :mad:

moonpie23
03-29-2014, 05:43 PM
sour grapes are blinding my ability to pick FOR anyone….

however, i do NOT want to see cal,or billy get another one…

i'll say izzo….

NashvilleDevil
03-29-2014, 05:56 PM
Going with Michigan or Wisconsin. Wouldn't be crushed if Florida wins it, this team seems more likable than the back to back teams. I'm really pulling for anyone but Kentucky.

MartyClark
03-29-2014, 06:56 PM
Despite my bad attitude, I do have something to be grateful for. Thank God that UNC is out. This week would be intolerable if they were still in.

FerryFor50
03-29-2014, 08:45 PM

CoachJ10
03-30-2014, 10:48 AM
Living in Chicago, where there is a potpourri of Big Ten fans, the inferiority complex they have developed in recent years is really hard to handle. Despite being from Wisconsin, I am cheering against all of them (even the Badgers). 1 national title since 1990 is enough for them.

That being said, While I am not at all a fan of the grabbing, clutching, holding style of basketball, I actually think they have a very good set of coaches that have developed continuity in their programs.

Oh yea, and after these last few games, ESPN should have a new narrative: Big 10 gets all the calls!

MCFinARL
03-30-2014, 10:58 AM

I see your point. But consider--

gus
03-30-2014, 11:54 AM
So, who's really experiencing schadenfreude here?

awich1
03-30-2014, 12:12 PM
Other than Duke, I really like the badgers. I think Bo Ryan accomplishes more with less than virtually any other major program in the country. Plus he runs a really clean program and the kids actually go to class(see article in NYTimes today). I don't think they quite have the talent level to win it all but happy for them that they are in the Final 4.

moonpie23
03-30-2014, 01:25 PM
Let's GO WOLVERINES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

richardjackson199
04-05-2014, 04:26 PM
I'm in Vegas this weekend. I just bet $330 to win $300 on Kentucky -1.5. I also bet a small $50 parlay on Kentucky -1.5 & Florida -6.5 to make the first game more interesting.
Go Huskies and Go Badgers!!
Am I crazy? Debateable, but for me this works as hedging. I'm cheering like crazy for Wisconsin and UConn for reasons well elaborated of why I want Calipari and Donovan to lose. But if I have to watch it happen, getting paid some nice cash can take the sting out of it.
The only way I really get screwed is if Kentucky wins by exactly 1 point. That would suck, but it's a calculated risk. Otherwise the Kentucky outcome at least is more of a win-win.
And it shows I'll put my money where my mouth is when I say that money ain't everything. Go Badgers & Huskies!
(Just an idea for any others wanting to take the sting out of the most likely outcomes today. I've done it before and it works for me.)

Dukehky
04-05-2014, 04:52 PM
I hope Florida and Kentucky get a contagious stomach virus starting... now. But they all fully recover in 36 hours.

TruBlu
04-05-2014, 05:40 PM
1) Are they still playing that silly tournament thing?

2) Why?

uh_no
04-05-2014, 05:52 PM
1) Are they still playing that silly tournament thing?

2) Why?

because not everybody only cheers for teams that hail from cities within 10 miles of a 2770X zipcode?

go huskies :)

gumbomoop
04-05-2014, 08:23 PM
Huskies playing really smart, efficient. Admirable.

uh_no
04-05-2014, 08:43 PM
Huskies playing really smart, efficient. Admirable.

<3

that was a heck of a game if you love defense....people might complain about the low score....but great game...even when it was 4-16 11 minutes in....great job on both sides.

heck of a job by kevin ollie. that guy is a great coach and a great person.

SoCalDukeFan
04-05-2014, 10:07 PM
<3

that was a heck of a game if you love defense....people might complain about the low score....but great game...even when it was 4-16 11 minutes in....great job on both sides.

heck of a job by kevin ollie. that guy is a great coach and a great person.

Except that he is a great coach. Will take your word for it that he is a great person.

This is really a tremendous sports atory. Calhoun leaves the UConnvicts who are banned by the APR and out of a major conference but still make the NCAA championship game.

SoCal

uh_no
04-05-2014, 10:37 PM
Except that he is a great coach. Will take your word for it that he is a great person.

This is really a tremendous sports atory. Calhoun leaves the UConnvicts who are banned by the APR and out of a major conference but still make the NCAA championship game.

SoCal

you just got to listen to how he talks in some of the interviews "this team succeeds because they love eachother" "I take thinks that people say are negatives and figure out how to turn them into positives"

the guy was on 11 teams in 13 NBA seasons. was handed an 8 month contract to a team banned from the postseason where several big pieces transferred....almost lead them to the big east regular season title, and then goes to the championship game the next year.....many a coach would have said "screw that"...but ollie talked about how it was a challenge he and the team had to face and how they would stick through it together. every time he talks he talks about his love for these kids, and if you see how they huddle behind him in postgame interviews, you'd see that they love him too. they stuck around last year when they could have left, and didn't....it takes some kind of guy to keep guys like daniels and nappier around when there are no postseason hopes.....and he made it work.

like i did for coach calhoun, I appreciate what he is doing for the state of connecticut (which has nothing else going for it outside basketball....), and if he can have success like calhoun did without the ethical issues, then i'm not sure i can do anything but praise him.

they've had really good APRs the past 2 years, and I only hope that can continue.

Dr. Rosenrosen
04-05-2014, 11:38 PM
Here we go, Meteor, here we go... clap, clap.

SoCalDukeFan
04-05-2014, 11:38 PM
and I really do not not much about him.

My comment was not meant to be negative in any way. I think getting to the FF in your second year with this team is amazing., and they might win it all.
I also have Napier is a GREAT player.

SoCal

_Gary
04-05-2014, 11:39 PM
Here we go, Meteor, here we go... clap, clap.

Sporks for that one, pal.

Here is a Turtle
04-05-2014, 11:40 PM
I wish it was possible for both teams to lose. But since there has to be a winner, I'd go with UConn since I have relatives that go there.

gurufrisbee
04-05-2014, 11:46 PM
For real?

Pretty sure I know how this next week goes....

Monday, someone wins title. Sucks either way.
Tuesday, Jabari and Rodney declare early.
Wednesday, so does everyone else at Duke.
Thursday, Coach K retires.
Friday, NCAA passes a law North Carolina can play six players when everyone else still gets five.
Saturday, I lose three toes to frostbite.
Sunday, my daughter marries PJ Hairston.

dukebluesincebirth
04-05-2014, 11:49 PM
I despise Kentucky more and more every game. I need a miracle from uconn. Ugh.

dyedwab
04-05-2014, 11:55 PM
Seems like we Duke fans have been on the wrong side of basketball karma a lot since 2010. Hopefully, the 2014 tournament served as a enough of a payback from the basketball gods...and that 2014-2015 will be the year of no injury/no early upsets/no final game between UCONN/KY...

Troublemaker
04-05-2014, 11:55 PM
I'm in Vegas this weekend. I just bet $330 to win $300 on Kentucky -1.5. I also bet a small $50 parlay on Kentucky -1.5 & Florida -6.5 to make the first game more interesting.
Go Huskies and Go Badgers!!
Am I crazy? Debateable, but for me this works as hedging. I'm cheering like crazy for Wisconsin and UConn for reasons well elaborated of why I want Calipari and Donovan to lose. But if I have to watch it happen, getting paid some nice cash can take the sting out of it.
The only way I really get screwed is if Kentucky wins by exactly 1 point. That would suck, but it's a calculated risk. Otherwise the Kentucky outcome at least is more of a win-win.

Poor you, my friend.

-bdbd
04-06-2014, 12:11 AM
Regarding a KY-vs.-U-con final: Is there ANY way they both could lose?!? :confused: I mean, is there ANY other combination that would be more disliked by Duke fans in general?? Can it get much worse???
Geeeeez-Oh-Pete!!! :mad:

It is going to be reeeeeally funny watching the talking heads gush nonstop platitudes at these two programs over the next two days.... Two programs that have been repeatedly caught cheating over the last 20 years and broadly value the things most that we, as Duke fans, dislike so much in college BB. It will be really hard to watch come Mon. Come'on - there must be SOME way for both to lose, no??? :eek:

uh_no
04-06-2014, 12:12 AM
Regarding a KY-vs.-U-con final: Is there ANY way they both could lose?!? :confused: I mean, is there ANY other combination that would be more disliked by Duke fans in general?? Can it get much worse???
Geeeeez-Oh-Pete!!! :mad:

It is going to be reeeeeally funny watching the talking heads gush nonstop platitudes at these two programs over the next two days.... Two programs that have been repeatedly caught cheating over the last 20 years and broadly value the things most that we, as Duke fans, dislike so much in college BB. It will be really hard to watch come Mon. Come'on - there must be SOME way for both to lose, no??? :eek:

UNC vs either, I imagine, would be more disliked....but i must imagine that the top three disliked teams among duke faithful are

1) UNC
2) Uconn
3) UK

TruBlu
04-06-2014, 12:12 AM
For real?

Pretty sure I know how this next week goes....

Monday, someone wins title. Sucks either way.
Tuesday, Jabari and Rodney declare early.
Wednesday, so does everyone else at Duke.
Thursday, Coach K retires.
Friday, NCAA passes a law North Carolina can play six players when everyone else still gets five.
Saturday, I lose three toes to frostbite.
Sunday, my daughter marries PJ Hairston.

That would be an improvement over the normal eight on five.

richardjackson199
04-06-2014, 12:22 AM
Poor you, my friend.

Ughhhh. I guess the house always wins. Yep, I told my wife as soon as he missed the first of 3 free throws Aaron Harrison would drain the 3 game-winner. Even though that seemed like the only shot Aaron made the whole game, he is so clutch. I wish I'd waited until today to place that bet. The line dropped to Kentucky -1 today.

I was cheering for Badgers the whole way. Just like I"ll be cheering for the Ollie led Huskies! I hope Napier drains that game winning 3. Calipari epitomizes slime.

SoCalDukeFan
04-06-2014, 12:24 AM
1. I hated the UConnvicts and Jim C. I wish I had a dollar for every time a UConn fan answered this question: "Why did UConn take that guy?" with "Jim was just trying to help the kid." However I really admire the job Kevin Ollie has done. He looks like a class guy and I think Napier is a great bball player.
So it will not bother me that much if UConn wins.

2. I have come to understand Calipari and KY. The NBA sets the one and done thing. Cal operates within it. He has a system that works with 1 and done. From what I read his players do go to class. Link (http://chronicle.com/blogs/players/what-kind-of-students-are-one-and-done-players/34473) So it will not bother me if KY wins.

I am tied for second place in a pool. Need to pick the winner and it needs to be different from what the leader picks. Help.

SoCal

Troublemaker
04-06-2014, 07:16 AM
I am tied for second place in a pool. Need to pick the winner and it needs to be different from what the leader picks. Help.

Can you see previous picks? Examine if the leader has a pattern for picking for or against UConn or Kentucky.

If you are picking blind, you should probably pick UConn since most of America is picking Kentucky (http://espn.go.com/espn/fp/flashPollResultsState?sportIndex=sportsnation&pollId=4264915). However, looking at that map, if the leader is from the Northeast or Wyoming, you might have to pick Kentucky to be opposites.

(BTW, Wyoming? Might be a low sample size thing, and the state will turn red on the map as more Wyomingites vote. I don't immediately know the connection that would lead them to be for UConn or against Kentucky.)

Then again, maybe the best advice is to just pick the team you think will win. And hope the leader is opposite.

dukelifer
04-06-2014, 07:54 AM
1. I hated the UConnvicts and Jim C. I wish I had a dollar for every time a UConn fan answered this question: "Why did UConn take that guy?" with "Jim was just trying to help the kid." However I really admire the job Kevin Ollie has done. He looks like a class guy and I think Napier is a great bball player.
So it will not bother me that much if UConn wins.

2. I have come to understand Calipari and KY. The NBA sets the one and done thing. Cal operates within it. He has a system that works with 1 and done. From what I read his players do go to class. Link (http://chronicle.com/blogs/players/what-kind-of-students-are-one-and-done-players/34473) So it will not bother me if KY wins.

SoCal

I feel the same. I don't want Duke to emulate KY's model. If it continues to succeed it will kill college ball- well at least the regular season. Actually with a 7 and a 8 in it- the idea that you have to be a great team in the regular season ( seeded higher than a 4 or 5) may have been disrupted forever.

Although I do not like UConn because of comments of their former coach against Duke- I prefer them to win because it shows what moxy and senior leadership can do. I would rather that be the message from this year. But a week ago I said that this is KYs tourney and the only hope is that powers that be recognize that the model of a Freshman team of high school AA's who only do basketball in the Spring semester is going to kill the interest in the sport. There is no good story if KY wins- outside of their fan base. This is not a great team and they have no great player like Davis. It is a team with talented players with potential that got hot in the right moments. We will see how this plays out in the months that follow- but I would never advocate the KY way for Duke.

johnb
04-06-2014, 12:57 PM
I would like for Duke to be the pre-eminent program according to all variables.

Kentucky needs to start losing a bunch of games, as do Kansas and Carolina, and so I habitually root against all of them. And I'd do so regardless of the coach and players,

Calipari's behavior is less important. If I could only watch games that involved coaches whose primary mission was education, I'd have to basically turn off espn. He has cut corners, as have plenty of other coaches. The main difference is his success. And I don't think he's successful bc he cheats. Cheating is easy. Winning is hard., and, while I'm loathe to admit it, what he, Williams, and Self do is impressive even if I'd like each of them to fail. Oh, and from the distance of tv, I find Ol Roy to be more unlikable than Calipari.

The likability of the players isn't much of a variable to me. Knowing them personally would affect my rooting (the players I knew when I was at Duke were mostly terrific, but not all of them. If I'd only known one particular guy, I'd have probably saved myself a lot of time on DBR since I probably wouldn't have liked the team), but I'll never know any of them beyond their competitive persona (thouh I kinda feel I sorta know the Duke players, but that's probably self delusional).

Rooting for KY, KS, and NC to start having a bunch of losing seasons requires more delayed gratification that I can muster, however, so the calculus shifts: if Kentucky winning tomorrow means that Turner or Parker wears a Duke uniform next year, then I'll root away. how could that affect them? Jabari sees his running buddies winning, and he decides he wants some of that. Or Turner decides that joining the already-top-ranked class can work out just fine. And so even if our competitors keep winning, which they are likely to do, we still have the opportunity to rack up the NC's.

Oh, and near competitors, like CT, MSU, and FL, are less impt to me; I'm optimistic they'll fade. But if it were any of the second tier competition against a program that is basically one and done (one of those heartwarming, all senior, no NBA talent, mid level Midwestern programs), then so much the better.

OldSchool
04-06-2014, 02:09 PM
I'm rooting for Kentucky in the final because I expect the following chain of events to occur:

1. Kentucky beats UConn in the final. However, it is discovered that Kentucky has been secretly competing in the NBA wearing the uniforms of the Milwaukee Bucks. While this explains their frequent fatigue and the loss to South Carolina, it results in (1) their players being pushed back into the second round of the draft after their performance as the Bucks is examined by scouts and (2) their NCAA championship being revoked and awarded to...

2. UConn, as the team beat by Kentucky. However it is discovered that the coach, Kevin Ollie, is in fact a computer-generated hologram operated by Jim Calhoun. The real Kevin Ollie is freed from Calhoun's basement by a SWAT team and their NCAA championship is revoked and awarded to...

3. Michigan, as the next team beat by Kentucky. However, undercover agents from THE Ohio State University rat them out to the NCAA for numerous violations, resulting in their NCAA championship being revoked and awarded to...

4. Tennessee, as the team beat by Michigan. However, it is discovered that Bruce Pearl secretly coached the team this year disguised as the Volunteer mascot and had repeatedly illegally grilled hamburgers and hot dogs for both players and recruits. This results in their NCAA championship being revoked and awarded to...

5. Mercer. However, it is discovered that the Mercer Bears in reality are a professional team from the Eastern European country of Serbolathuania who were mis-routed to the 'wrong' Georgia for an early season tournament. This results in their NCAA championship being revoked and awarded to...

6. DUKE!!!!!!

Weeee are the champions, my frie-ends...!!!

GTHC, GTH!!!

Yessssirrrr!!!

uh_no
04-06-2014, 02:13 PM
I'm rooting for Kentucky in the final because I expect the following chain of events to occur:

1. Kentucky beats UConn in the final. However, it is discovered that Kentucky has been secretly competing in the NBA wearing the uniforms of the Milwaukee Bucks. While this explains their frequent fatigue and the loss to South Carolina, it results in (1) their players being pushed back into the second round of the draft after their performance as the Bucks is examined by scouts and (2) their NCAA championship being revoked and awarded to...

2. UConn, as the team beat by Kentucky. However it is discovered that the coach, Kevin Ollie, is in fact a computer-generated hologram operated by Jim Calhoun. The real Kevin Ollie is freed from Calhoun's basement by a SWAT team and their NCAA championship is revoked and awarded to...

3. Michigan, as the next team beat by Kentucky. However, undercover agents from THE Ohio State University rat them out to the NCAA for numerous violations, resulting in their NCAA championship being revoked and awarded to...

4. Tennessee, as the team beat by Michigan. However, it is discovered that Bruce Pearl secretly coached the team this year disguised as the Volunteer mascot and had repeatedly illegally grilled hamburgers and hot dogs for both players and recruits. This results in their NCAA championship being revoked and awarded to...

5. Mercer. However, it is discovered that the Mercer Bears in reality are a professional team from the Eastern European country of Serbolathuania who were mis-routed to the 'wrong' Georgia for an early season tournament. This results in their NCAA championship being revoked and awarded to...

6. DUKE!!!!!!

GTHC, GTH!!!

Yessssirrrr!!!

what is wisconsin? chop suey?

OldSchool
04-06-2014, 02:17 PM
what is wisconsin? chop suey?

Oops, you're right. Wiscy wins the championship. Hats off to Bucky Badger! Oh well, we almost were the champions...

kAzE
04-06-2014, 02:21 PM

6. DUKE!!!!!!

GTHC, GTH!!!

Yessssirrrr!!!

Logic looks pretty solid to me. Go UK.

SmartDevil
04-06-2014, 04:58 PM
Can't stand UK--or slimy Calimari. U-Conn is next on my list of most disliked schools--but at least their slimy (former) coach is gone.

But I'm actually fancifully rooting for a power outage that somehow can't be fully diagnosed/repaired for a couple extra days.

Let that be the memory that overshadows the eventual victory of whichever team wins this year's national championship.

gurufrisbee
04-06-2014, 06:57 PM
I'm rooting for whoever is most likely to have the title taken away due to ncaa violations. Still a toss up

gofurman
04-06-2014, 11:01 PM
Can't stand UK--or slimy Calimari. U-Conn is next on my list of most disliked schools--but at least their slimy (former) coach is gone.

But I'm actually fancifully rooting for a power outage that somehow can't be fully diagnosed/repaired for a couple extra days.

Let that be the memory that overshadows the eventual victory of whichever team wins this year's national championship.

This. W Calhoun gone I pull for uconn tomorrow. Haven't heard anything bad about Ollie yet so I'll go w him. Heck of a coaching jib to do in your second year

Stat of the day- uconn men have NEVER lost a title game. Never. 3-0. Including vs brand maggette etc. and uk last loss in NCAA.? Uconn. That's right. Uconn has serious history on their side. Didn't realize they were 3-0 in title games til it showed on espn

uh_no
04-06-2014, 11:06 PM
This. W Calhoun gone I pull for uconn tomorrow. Haven't heard anything bad about Ollie yet so I'll go w him. Heck of a coaching jib to do in your second year

Stat of the day- uconn men have NEVER lost a title game. Never. 3-0. Including vs brand maggette etc. and uk last loss in NCAA.? Uconn. That's right. Uconn has serious history on their side. Didn't realize they were 3-0 in title games til it showed on espn

they've been extremely fortunate....currently being 7-1 in the final 4, which is a best among teams with multiple final fours. The women are also 8-0 in title games, meaning uconn basketball has never lost a national title game.....unfortunately for me, i'm afraid there might be a first time for everything....

gonna be a heck of a 48 hours.

g-money
04-06-2014, 11:19 PM
I'd like to see UConn win on a missed three by Aaron Harrison. The basketball gods cannot go on rewarding hero ball like this.

downeastdad
04-07-2014, 07:31 PM
We drive regularly on I-84 in CT, and have to drive past the Storrs exit. For 10 years we've been passing the sign that says "UCONN 2004 MEN'S and WOMEN'S NCAA Basketball Champions" (or something to that effect, with updates as the women crush yet another hapless opponent.)
There is no way that I want to see another UCONN double men's and women's championship (women's is just about guaranteed this year, IMHO) sign on I-84, so GO CATS. I dislike Calipari, have nothing against Ollie or Napier, but just don't want to drive past that sign for the next however many years.
More on Calipari later, if someone puts up another coaching thread.
GO, LEHIGH!
downeastdad

msdukie
04-07-2014, 11:19 PM
Do you want to see UConn have as many titles as Duke?....

Atlanta Duke
04-07-2014, 11:20 PM

It beat the alternative

uh_no
04-07-2014, 11:41 PM

yes :)

Duvall
04-07-2014, 11:42 PM
It beat the alternative

No, it doesn't. Anything would be better than this farce. Well, almost anything.