PDA

View Full Version : Dre to Compete in Final Four 3-Point Competition

MCFinARL
03-28-2014, 11:49 AM
GoDuke reports today that Andre Dawkins will be in the 3-point competition Friday, April 3 in Dallas. http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209447368&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Very excited to hear we will have a chance to see that beautiful stroke one more time this season. Go Dre!!

Son of Jarhead
03-28-2014, 01:52 PM
He could probably win the slam dunk contest, too, if they let him do both.

Dre' all day!!!

CameronBornAndBred
03-28-2014, 02:06 PM
Smoke 'em Dre!!!

weezie
03-28-2014, 06:32 PM
Good for him! Go DRE!!!

MCFinARL
03-29-2014, 04:49 PM
Happy to report, per goduke.com, that Tricia Liston will also be competing, in the women's 3-point contest. Let's go Tricia!

CameronBornAndBred
03-29-2014, 06:39 PM
Happy to report, per goduke.com, that Tricia Liston will also be competing, in the women's 3-point contest. Let's go Tricia!
And both have an excellent chance of winning. Wouldn't that be sweet?

AncientPsychicT
03-29-2014, 07:26 PM
GoDuke reports today that Andre Dawkins will be in the 3-point competition Friday, April 3 in Dallas. http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209447368&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Very excited to hear we will have a chance to see that beautiful stroke one more time this season. Go Dre!!

Just a heads up to people: The day of the competition is indeed April 3, but that is a Thursday, not a Friday. We wouldn't want anyone to miss Dre vs Trish in the battle of the sexes, would we? :cool:

Go Dre!

Go Trish!

Go Duke!

MCFinARL
03-30-2014, 12:01 AM
Just a heads up to people: The day of the competition is indeed April 3, but that is a Thursday, not a Friday. We wouldn't want anyone to miss Dre vs Trish in the battle of the sexes, would we? :cool:

Go Dre!

Go Trish!

Go Duke!

Thanks so much, not sure how I got that wrong. Thursday, April 3. Both are scheduled for 9 PM, with ESPN live coverage, according to goduke.com.

Cameron
03-30-2014, 12:29 AM
Any chance that he could also compete in the dunk contest? It's a shame that the rest of the college basketball world never got more than a glimpse at the jumping ability of Andre Dawkins. Kid's got springs. Georgia Tech knows.

In spite of the undesirable ending to a career that began with a bang, Andre is one of my top three all-time favorites in Duke history. He was sensational this year and throughout his career. I will miss the kid greatly. Best of luck to him.

MCFinARL
04-03-2014, 10:53 AM
Just bumping the thread up to remind people that they can see Andre Dawkins and Tricia Liston in the 3-point shooting competition at the Final Four, scheduled to be on ESPN at 9 PM tonight (after the NIT final), along with the dunk competition.

Let's go Dre!
Let's go Tricia!

sagegrouse
04-03-2014, 11:28 AM
Just bumping the thread up to remind people that they can see Andre Dawkins and Tricia Liston in the 3-point shooting competition at the Final Four, scheduled to be on ESPN at 9 PM tonight (after the NIT final), along with the dunk competition.

Let's go Dre!
Let's go Tricia!

BTW Andre was one of two players highlighted by ESPN on the ad for the competition.

MCFinARL
04-03-2014, 12:21 PM
BTW Andre was one of two players highlighted by ESPN on the ad for the competition.

Awesome. I think Andre has a lot of fans beyond the Duke fan base, thanks to his affecting personal story, his courage, and the grace and maturity he has shown this year--and the killer smile doesn't hurt. Hopefully he will have some good crowd support tonight.

FerryFor50
04-03-2014, 09:19 PM
Not a good opening round for Dre. Only scored 14... might not advance. He got hot at the end, but may be too little, too late.

FerryFor50
04-03-2014, 09:23 PM
And Dre is officially eliminated. Didn't make it out of the first round. Been that kind of year for Duke. :mad:

CameronBornAndBred
04-03-2014, 09:33 PM
And Dre is officially eliminated. Didn't make it out of the first round. Been that kind of year for Duke. :mad:
Still one of my favorites!

CatDevil
04-03-2014, 09:49 PM
Go Tricia!!!! My son absolutely adores her!!!

Cameron
04-03-2014, 09:56 PM
Guess he's still cold.

I know others here disagree with this, but Andre has always been a streaky shooter, which doesn't really lend well to a competition like this. His percentage always remained high because when Andre was on, he didn't miss for games. Not minutes, but games. When he was off, however, he might as well not have even boarded the bus.

Hell of a career, though. In my humble opinion, the best three-point shooter in Duke history not named J.J. Redick. And with as god-like as J.J. was, that might as well mean the best.

FerryFor50
04-03-2014, 10:02 PM
Go Tricia!!!! My son absolutely adores her!!!

She's in the finals now.

wandalee
04-03-2014, 10:06 PM
Tricia just made it to the final against Shoni Shimmel. She's shooting well!

CameronDuke
04-03-2014, 10:09 PM
Guess he's still cold.

I know others here disagree with this, but Andre has always been a streaky shooter, which doesn't really lend well to a competition like this. His percentage always remained high because when Andre was on, he didn't miss for games. Not minutes, but games. When he was off, however, he might as well not have even boarded the bus.

Hell of a career, though. In my humble opinion, the best three-point shooter in Duke history not named J.J. Redick. And with as god-like as J.J. was, that might as well mean the best.

Andre was good, but the best 3 point shooter for Duke other than JJ was Trajan Langdon, hands down.

CatDevil
04-03-2014, 10:18 PM
Dre and Tricia did great! They both have represented Duke well. Few things in life come easy, but these kids make it easy to love Duke. :D
Really gonna miss Andre's smile....

BlueTeuf
04-03-2014, 10:19 PM
I believe on percentages - the best was Laettner. And it wasn't even close.

But that short changes Redick who would venture much further out for his bombs. And since it's about 3 point shooting there's no need to enumerate a few deadeye distance Dukies who played before the line was implemented.

Cameron
04-03-2014, 10:23 PM
Andre was good, but the best 3 point shooter for Duke other than JJ was Trajan Langdon, hands down.

Andre is one of my top three favorite Dukies ever, so convincing me otherwise is a futile endeavor. You might as well abandon it now. :)

But there is nothing wrong with that argument. Trajan was amazing and, if I were to take my Andre glasses off for a moment, probably the second best shooter apart from Redick.

I just can't help but wonder how good Andre might have been had he come to Duke a year later and his sister not passed away. I think he might have been an All-American and gone down as one of the handful of greatest shooters in ACC history. Maybe I am just dreaming, but I don't think so. C'est la vie.

CameronBornAndBred
04-03-2014, 10:28 PM
Huge congrats to Tricia for her second place finish. She has a good playing career in front of her.

Dukehky
04-03-2014, 10:51 PM
I cannot adequately state how great it is to see Andre Dawkins having fun at this event. He is in the middle of everything, cheering on his contemporaries. If losing Jabari to the draft meant that Dre got a real shot in the league, I would take it no questions asked. Dre is my favorite Duke player of all time. I was sitting in the front row with my little brother at the St. John's game the day that his sister passed away, and I just feel connected to the kid in some way. He deserves nothing but the best things in life and I think that he is on his way to achieving those things.

Kedsy
04-04-2014, 09:35 AM
I just can't help but wonder how good Andre might have been had he come to Duke a year later and his sister not passed away. I think he might have been an All-American and gone down as one of the handful of greatest shooters in ACC history. Maybe I am just dreaming, but I don't think so. C'est la vie.

I tend to agree. If Andre could have earned 30 mpg and/or consistently hunted his shot, his numbers would have been astronomical and he'd be considered a lock for the first round of the NBA draft. Of course, I'm probably wearing "Andre glasses" too, but I really believe this is true.

UrinalCake
04-04-2014, 10:03 AM
I really like Andre as a person, but as a player I never saw him develop a complete game. Beautiful stroke and when he was on he was unstoppable, but he was very inconsistent and when his shot wasn't falling he just didn't provide much else. Hence his lack of playing time.

Still grateful for his performance against Baylor in 2010 and will fondly remember his games against FSU and I think VT in 2012-1013, when he put up some JJ-like games.

CDu
04-04-2014, 10:21 AM
I tend to agree. If Andre could have earned 30 mpg and/or consistently hunted his shot, his numbers would have been astronomical and he'd be considered a lock for the first round of the NBA draft. Of course, I'm probably wearing "Andre glasses" too, but I really believe this is true.

Yeah I think that, if he were on a team where he was allowed to be an unabashed gunner and play major minutes, he'd have put up some truly prolific shooting numbers. In fact, I think we got a small glimpse of that this year, when Coach K basically brought Dawkins into games and ran the offense specifically to get him shots. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, the rest of his game never came close to his shooting skills. And on several fairly deep teams (at his position, at least), his "off-nights" pushed Coach K to his alternatives. So that opportunity for bombing away was somewhat limited.

That said, I suspect he'll still get a decent look at the NBA simply because he's a good athlete and a terrific shooter.

MCFinARL
04-04-2014, 11:49 AM
I cannot adequately state how great it is to see Andre Dawkins having fun at this event. He is in the middle of everything, cheering on his contemporaries.

I so agree with this. This whole event, actually, was pretty cool, because almost all of the players seemed to be enjoying themselves and congratulating each other--and Andre was right in the thick of it.

One of the best moments was during the dunk contest, when Adreian Payne (sp?) completed his dunk and then rolled the ball toward the crowd of other players--and all fell down like bowling pins, on cue. Very funny.

The three-point contest is kind of interesting because the scores aren't cumulative. As someone noted above, Andre went out early because it took him a bit of time to get going in his round--but two of the people who beat him to get to the semifinals had lower semifinal scores than Andre's 14. And if Tricia had had her three rounds in the order 16-22-24 instead of 22-24-16, she would have won. Her 24 was the best round for any woman in the competition--and maybe even for anyone; can't remember what the highest men's round was.

Congratulations and thanks to Andre and Tricia for representing Duke University so well.

rsvman
04-04-2014, 01:03 PM
I really like Andre as a person, but as a player I never saw him develop a complete game. Beautiful stroke and when he was on he was unstoppable, but he was very inconsistent and when his shot wasn't falling he just didn't provide much else. Hence his lack of playing time.

Still grateful for his performance against Baylor in 2010 and will fondly remember his games against FSU and I think VT in 2012-1013, when he put up some JJ-like games.

Don't forget the game against Michigan State in Madison Square Garden that gave Coach K his 903rd win. That was pretty spectacular, too.