PDA

View Full Version : NCAA: Sweet 16/Elite 8

Pages : [1] 2

superdave
03-27-2014, 07:59 PM
Dawkins just got T'd up. They seem to be playing Dayton's pace. Need to change that up

Dayton up 11 late in first half.

gumbomoop
03-27-2014, 08:05 PM
Rooting for Stanford, of course. "Glad" to see players on other teams ball-watch instead of blocking out, as just happened before the under-4 TO. Maybe it's more common with zone, but this is for a chance at EE. Cannot ball-watch.

gumbomoop
03-27-2014, 08:36 PM
First Dayton opportunity of second half - Powell ball-watching, Dayton hustle, 2 points.

Admittedly, the bigger story is that Dayton is just rolling, hitting shots, while Stanford looks more like the ok team from mid-season.

gumbomoop
03-27-2014, 08:55 PM
Nice run by Stanford, then Nastic got lazy receiving entry pass, stupid 4th foul. Powell has to be the guy.

gumbomoop
03-27-2014, 09:30 PM
Nastic's earlier lazy play and 4th foul now means he fouls out. Two really lazy Stanford passes lead to steals, but I think this latest one won't kill, as Dayton player OB. Dayton playing harder, smarter, more hustle. Stanford big guys ball-watching, giving up O-rebounds.

Have to give Miller great credit for game plan, and his guys just executing to near-perfection.

CameronDuke
03-27-2014, 09:37 PM
Dayton advances to the Elite 8. If UVa can somehow beat Michigan State tomorrow the ACC will have at best the same number of teams in the Elite 8 as the A10. If UVa loses tomorrow the A10 can rightfully say that their conference placed a team further in the NCAA Tournament than the ACC.

What a strong showing for Dayton and the A10 in the dance this year. They have now beaten the Big Ten, ACC, and PAC 12 in March in the dance when it counts. You have to congratulate them.

Atlanta Duke
03-27-2014, 09:37 PM
Condi Rice and Richard Sherman brought more star power to the Stanford cheering section but Coach Miller's wife deserves more screen time

Wonder how much peace a Sweet Sixteen run will buy Coach Dawkins?

OldPhiKap
03-27-2014, 09:38 PM
Refs trying to help Stanford, but the players just won't oblige.

gumbomoop
03-27-2014, 09:46 PM
Just switched over to end of Wisconsin-Baylor, and one of announcers said any Wisconsin player who misses a block-out goes to the bench for awhile. That's how Bo does it, and the players understand it.

gumbomoop
03-27-2014, 09:57 PM
Rooting for Stanford, but Miller and his guys did everything right, and absolutely deserved to win.

Assuming Johnny is renewed, I hope Randle doesn't declare, because if he and Johnny come back, they've got 3 solid starters returning, some promising guards, and Reid Travis coming in. Given that Stanford loses 2 good forwards, Travis should start from the start.

CameronDuke
03-27-2014, 10:02 PM
I think it is remarkable that Archie and Sean Miller were the first brothers to ever be head coaches and lead their teams to the Sweet 16 in the same season. How amazing would it be if Arizona took care of business and the two led their teams to the Elite 8 in he same year? I imagine their family is one proud family right now.

MulletMan
03-27-2014, 10:37 PM
Flllllllllllyyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaaazzzzzzzzz!

Congrats to JD, Mike, et al on a great run.

But let me say again..... FLLLLYYYYYAAAAAZZZZZ!

Trey21
03-27-2014, 11:59 PM
Kyle Anderson is a really special talent. Does it all for UCLA. He hasn't played that great of a game tonight. It'll be interesting to see how he does in the league. He shows flashes of dominance in college but I'd imagine it will take a couple years for him to adjust to the NBA pace. He can influence the game in a variety of ways.

MCFinARL
03-28-2014, 08:39 AM
Dayton advances to the Elite 8. If UVa can somehow beat Michigan State tomorrow the ACC will have at best the same number of teams in the Elite 8 as the A10. If UVa loses tomorrow the A10 can rightfully say that their conference placed a team further in the NCAA Tournament than the ACC.

What a strong showing for Dayton and the A10 in the dance this year. They have now beaten the Big Ten, ACC, and PAC 12 in March in the dance when it counts. You have to congratulate them.

A very strong showing for Dayton, yes, and they do deserve congratulations. Not sure it's all that strong a showing for the A10, which has had similar results to the ACC--one team to the Elite 8 [UVA not there yet but can get there tonight], one team losing in the second (technically the "third") round to two for the ACC [St. Louis/UNC, Syracuse], three teams losing in the first round to two for the ACC [GW, VCU, St. Joe's/Duke, NCState].

While the Atlantic 10 won both of the head-to-head matchups against the ACC in the tournament, NC State might well have upset St. Louis in the first round had they not played 5 games in 7 days--and the other one was Dayton, which is playing extremely well. Fifth seeded VCU's loss to 12-seed Stephen F. Austin, who were handled easily by UCLA in the next round, was not much better than Duke's loss to Mercer, even though for obvious reasons it drew a lot less attention. And 6 seed UMass was manhandled by 11 seed Tennessee.

If, under the circumstances, you want to argue that having similar results to the ACC is a strong showing, I'll accept that. But in the bigger scheme of things I think this success is more Dayton's than the A10's.

Just switched over to end of Wisconsin-Baylor, and one of announcers said any Wisconsin player who misses a block-out goes to the bench for awhile. That's how Bo does it, and the players understand it.

If Duke had done that this year, we might have seen some pretty strange lineups on the floor at times. ;)

Mike Corey
03-28-2014, 08:53 AM
http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0250/0714/products/rudy-dayton_large.jpg?v=1391536142

That's for you (http://www.homage.com/products/rudy-flyer), MulletMan.

Really looking forward to tonight's MSU-Virginia game. I anticipate a very fun duel between the backcourts.

CameronDuke
03-28-2014, 01:19 PM
A very strong showing for Dayton, yes, and they do deserve congratulations. Not sure it's all that strong a showing for the A10, which has had similar results to the ACC--one team to the Elite 8 [UVA not there yet but can get there tonight], one team losing in the second (technically the "third") round to two for the ACC [St. Louis/UNC, Syracuse], three teams losing in the first round to two for the ACC [GW, VCU, St. Joe's/Duke, NCState].

While the Atlantic 10 won both of the head-to-head matchups against the ACC in the tournament, NC State might well have upset St. Louis in the first round had they not played 5 games in 7 days--and the other one was Dayton, which is playing extremely well. Fifth seeded VCU's loss to 12-seed Stephen F. Austin, who were handled easily by UCLA in the next round, was not much better than Duke's loss to Mercer, even though for obvious reasons it drew a lot less attention. And 6 seed UMass was manhandled by 11 seed Tennessee.

If, under the circumstances, you want to argue that having similar results to the ACC is a strong showing, I'll accept that. But in the bigger scheme of things I think this success is more Dayton's than the A10's.

If Duke had done that this year, we might have seen some pretty strange lineups on the floor at times. ;)

In my opinion, if UVA loses tonight and the A10 sends one team to the elite eight while the entire ACC watches from the couch, it is a win for the A10 and a better showing in the NCAAT than the ACC. I generally think whichever conference sends a team further has a better tournament showing when compared head to head, not to mention Dayton was 6th in the regular season in the A10 and knocked off Cuse who was 2nd in the ACC. This is an example of the depth of the A10.

But if UVA loses tonight, it's hard to argue the ACC was a better conference in the NCAAT when they placed a 1, 2, and 3 seed in the dance and none reached the elite eight. That would mean a 1 seed reached the sweet 16, a 2 seed reached the round of 32, and a 3 seed didn't win a game in the dance. That is poor. It is not a great showing for the ACC. The ACC sucked majorly this NCAAT if that happens while Dayton overachieved for the A10.

tommy
03-28-2014, 01:33 PM

Not disagreeing with your analysis at all, but just the fact that such a discussion is happening at all re: the relative strength of the ACC and the Atlantic-10 is a sign of the times. And not a good one.

Hoping and assuming that the additions of Syracuse, Pitt, Notre Dame, and Louisville will make these types of discussions unnecessary in the future. But so far, it hasn't. Ugh.

Dukehky
03-28-2014, 01:39 PM
I would just like to take the opportunity to say that I disagree with many Duke fans that we should pull for UVA to win the title because they are in the ACC. Screw the ACC, every other school in the conference hates Duke and treat us like crap. Our players, coaches, and fans get treated worse than everyone else in the conference combined if you take out the way State and UNC fans treat each other. I do not want UVA to win, I want them to lose, graduate all their players, then fall back into the middle of the conference, to return to contention in 3-4 years, like they will continue to do for the foreseeable future.

I don't care if it will make the conference look good at the end of this year. That doesn't matter. Duke lost in the first round, so it doesn't help make us seem like a better team to say that a FF team came from the ACC. The ACC can only look better if teams actually show consistent improvement and if we can start beating teams from other conferences in-season and post-season.

Other teams I am rooting against, in no particular order.

Louisville- I love Russ Smith, Hancock, and Harrell, but I don't want Pitino to get his 3rd ring, that's too close to K.

Florida: Billy Donovan is a slimeball. Wilbekin should have been kicked off the team twice, but Billy knew he couldn't win without him. According to Donovan's team rules, he shouldn't be on the team. (Note: I'm really glad to see that Scotty has turned it around and has shown he is a great on court leader and has kept it together off the court, good for him). I also don't want Donovan to get his 3rd ring, also too close to K.

UVA: Reasons previously stated

Kentucky: I actually really like the kids on that team, but they're Kentucky, and they're coached by the slimiest of the slimy.

UCONN: Duh, they and their striped friends robbed us of 2 more national titles, rot in hell.

Big 10 Schools: No real aversion to MSU, Wiscy, or Mich winning other than I think it's hilarious that they claim to be the best conference year in and year out, but they haven't won a title since 2000 and have won 3 in the past 30 years (IU-87, UM- 89, MSU-00). I would like for that joke to continue.

That leaves me with AZ- whom I have no real problem with I guess, and Iowa State which really could have won this thing if Niang hadn't gotten hurt, that was just brutal.

Dayton and Tennessee I don't really think have any real shot at winning, but whatever go for it you flying volunteers.

sagegrouse
03-28-2014, 02:25 PM
I would just like to take the opportunity to say that I disagree with many Duke fans that we should pull for UVA to win the title because they are in the ACC. Screw the ACC, every other school in the conference hates Duke and treat us like crap. Our players, coaches, and fans get treated worse than everyone else in the conference combined if you take out the way State and UNC fans treat each other. I do not want UVA to win, I want them to lose, graduate all their players, then fall back into the middle of the conference, to return to contention in 3-4 years, like they will continue to do for the foreseeable future.

I'm pulling for UVa,m a defense-oriented team that plays the game the right way. Moreover, what's good for the ACC is probably good for Duke.

I don't see the actions of other ACC teams as hatred; to me, they are an indication of how much the fans want their team to beat Duke. In a way, it's a sign of respect. Even at Maryland, although their puerile couch-burning, profanity-laden, actions just prove they lack self-respect.

Dukehky
03-28-2014, 02:40 PM
I'm pulling for UVa,m a defense-oriented team that plays the game the right way. Moreover, what's good for the ACC is probably good for Duke.

I don't see the actions of other ACC teams as hatred; to me, they are an indication of how much the fans want their team to beat Duke. In a way, it's a sign of respect. Even at Maryland, although their puerile couch-burning, profanity-laden, actions just prove they lack self-respect.

I will agree that the way other people view Duke would indicate that they do in fact see Duke as the standard in the ACC, as our new friend Wahoo started the thread on. I just don't see it in as positive a light as you do, but I certainly respect your view and wish that I could treat it like that.

I'm not sure I agree on say, UVA winning the national title being as good for the ACC as you do. Not really sure why, I just see things much more in terms of individual teams rather than it being any indication on the conference they were in. Like ff Florida wins, that's because they're a really good team, it doesn't mean that the SEC wasn't one of the worst basketball conferences in the country this year.

OldPhiKap
03-28-2014, 02:44 PM

Put me in this camp as well.

UVa plays great team defense; has good kids (it seems); has a good young coach who seems to do things the right way; and it has won without any McD burger boys (AFAIK) on the roster. It is an excellent academic insitution. We beat them regularly in football. What's not to like about the Cavs?

And I will pull for any ACC team except UNC. Or Maryland, but for all intents and purposes they're already gone. I don't think any other teams out there "like" us any more or less than conference members do.

SirBlueDevil
03-28-2014, 02:47 PM
I'm with OldphiKap;

I have nothing against the boys of UVA and seeing as that we know as blue devils fans what it felt like to win the regular season, tournament title and national championship all in the same year, who am i to begrudge another acc program that natural high other than UNC.

Good Luck Uva

OldPhiKap
03-28-2014, 02:58 PM
I will agree that the way other people view Duke would indicate that they do in fact see Duke as the standard in the ACC, as our new friend Wahoo started the thread on. I just don't see it in as positive a light as you do, but I certainly respect your view and wish that I could treat it like that.

I'm not sure I agree on say, UVA winning the national title being as good for the ACC as you do. Not really sure why, I just see things much more in terms of individual teams rather than it being any indication on the conference they were in. Like ff Florida wins, that's because they're a really good team, it doesn't mean that the SEC wasn't one of the worst basketball conferences in the country this year.

In my neck of SEC Country, they're all crowing because the SEC got three teams to the Sweet Sixteen. Forget the fact that the rest of the league was not very good, the fact that they still have teams dancing is a big boost for its profile.

If it ends up an all-SEC final, that helps the SEC. By the same token, if an ACC team wins it all, that helps the conference.

(I think there may be some tie to money shared given how far each team goes as well, but will defer to those who know better)

CameronDuke
03-28-2014, 04:44 PM

I don't care if it will make the conference look good at the end of this year. That doesn't matter. Duke lost in the first round, so it doesn't help make us seem like a better team to say that a FF team came from the ACC. The ACC can only look better if teams actually show consistent improvement and if we can start beating teams from other conferences in-season and post-season.

Other teams I am rooting against, in no particular order.

Louisville- I love Russ Smith, Hancock, and Harrell, but I don't want Pitino to get his 3rd ring, that's too close to K.

Florida: Billy Donovan is a slimeball. Wilbekin should have been kicked off the team twice, but Billy knew he couldn't win without him. According to Donovan's team rules, he shouldn't be on the team. (Note: I'm really glad to see that Scotty has turned it around and has shown he is a great on court leader and has kept it together off the court, good for him). I also don't want Donovan to get his 3rd ring, also too close to K.

UVA: Reasons previously stated

Kentucky: I actually really like the kids on that team, but they're Kentucky, and they're coached by the slimiest of the slimy.

UCONN: Duh, they and their striped friends robbed us of 2 more national titles, rot in hell.

Big 10 Schools: No real aversion to MSU, Wiscy, or Mich winning other than I think it's hilarious that they claim to be the best conference year in and year out, but they haven't won a title since 2000 and have won 3 in the past 30 years (IU-87, UM- 89, MSU-00). I would like for that joke to continue.

That leaves me with AZ- whom I have no real problem with I guess, and Iowa State which really could have won this thing if Niang hadn't gotten hurt, that was just brutal.

Dayton and Tennessee I don't really think have any real shot at winning, but whatever go for it you flying volunteers.

I couldn't disagree more with you and your choice to pull against UVA. Tony Bennett is building his program the right way at UVA. He doesn't recruit 5 star recruits or players that are probably going to bolt for the nba after a year or two in Charlottesville. Instead, he recruits players with high character, players that will graduate, and players that fit his system. The players that fit his system are unselfish and buy into the pack line team defense concept. Wouldn't it have been nice if Duke's players bought into a team defense concept this year?

But back to UVA: I find Tony Bennett to be one of the more likable coaches in the ACC. He has taken a recent lower tier program with a rich history and led them back to prominence this season. Joe Harris has sacrificed his scoring average this season to benefit the team and make them more balanced offensively leading to more wins. Akil Mitchell has become an all conference defender. Wouldn't it be great if Duke had two senior starters this season that both took prominent leadership positions on the team while both contributing heavily to a championship season? There are several teams in the NCAA to hate on but UVA shouldn't be one of them because it appears to me they win with defense, win with class, and are going about building a program the right way.

brevity
03-28-2014, 06:13 PM
I'm pulling for UVa,m a defense-oriented team that plays the game the right way...

UVa plays great team defense; has good kids (it seems); has a good young coach who seems to do things the right way; and it has won without any McD burger boys (AFAIK) on the roster...

Tony Bennett is building his program the right way at UVA...

Sorry, my eyes kind of glaze over when I hear the phrase "the right way" as it applies to college basketball. Blame Dick Vitale and his lame propaganda. A few years ago I pointed out that there are many right ways, and that it's easier to just point out the wrong ways instead. Sure, there's stuff like point shaving, academic fraud, and assaulting or verbally abusing players. There's the Baylor scandal, which is too disturbing to joke about. Then there's the fun stuff.

The Wrong Way (a partial list)
* Make sure your players get photographed in a hot tub (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/tournament/2010/columns/story?id=5045144) with a known fixer.
* Have your assistant coach son draft a bogus final exam (http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/quiz/_/id/600) for your student-athletes.
* Mail cash (http://www.nytimes.com/1989/05/20/sports/kentucky-s-basketball-program-and-2-players-heavily-penalized.html) to the parents of your recruits.
* Look in the mirror and see Bruce Pearl (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6243862) in the reflection.

So, congratulations to Tony Bennett and UVA for avoiding the above.

CameronDuke
03-28-2014, 06:27 PM
Sorry, my eyes kind of glaze over when I hear the phrase "the right way" as it applies to college basketball. Blame Dick Vitale and his lame propaganda. A few years ago I pointed out that there are many right ways, and that it's easier to just point out the wrong ways instead. Sure, there's stuff like point shaving, academic fraud, and assaulting or verbally abusing players. There's the Baylor scandal, which is too disturbing to joke about. Then there's the fun stuff.

The Wrong Way (a partial list)
* Make sure your players get photographed in a hot tub (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/tournament/2010/columns/story?id=5045144) with a known fixer.
* Have your assistant coach son draft a bogus final exam (http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/quiz/_/id/600) for your student-athletes.
* Mail cash (http://www.nytimes.com/1989/05/20/sports/kentucky-s-basketball-program-and-2-players-heavily-penalized.html) to the parents of your recruits.
* Look in the mirror and see Bruce Pearl (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6243862) in the reflection.

So, congratulations to Tony Bennett and UVA for avoiding the above.

Building a program the right way to me includes recruiting kids who care about earning a degree at your university while also improving as basketball players. It means building your strategy to win games around teamwork, especially on the defensive end. It means recruiting not necessarily the 5 star recruits who will surely be in the NBA after a few years but kids that fit your system and can improve under your guidance. It means getting an entire team to collectively buy in to a system and it means winning championships doing it. And after all, in 2014, UVA is a champion.

weezie
03-28-2014, 06:35 PM
Sorry, my eyes kind of glaze over when I hear the phrase "the right way" as it applies to college basketball.

Amen to the Brother brev. It's a thinly veiled slap at everybody who doesn't quite fit whatever that "right way" is.

The only way that really works is to win. Period. The talking heads can hug themselves all they want but they embrace ky, loooville and whatever this year's flavor is.

Whatevs.

Dukehky
03-28-2014, 06:48 PM
Building a program the right way to me includes recruiting kids who care about earning a degree at your university while also improving as basketball players. It means building your strategy to win games around teamwork, especially on the defensive end. It means recruiting not necessarily the 5 star recruits who will surely be in the NBA after a few years but kids that fit your system and can improve under your guidance. It means getting an entire team to collectively buy in to a system and it means winning championships doing it. And after all, in 2014, UVA is a champion.

So Duke's program wasn't built the right way? Because we sure as shooting go after 5 star players?

Didn't say anything about UVA the team. I agree, it's hard not to like Bennett and their team. I think Harris is a little overrated because he dropped 30+ against Duke over a year ago and has been the toast of the team since, but Malcolm Brogdon is the most underrated player maybe in the country.

I'm saying I am not actively pulling for Virginia, mostly out of spite to the fans in the rest of the conference. I'm not hoping they get blown out in any game, I would just be happier if Iowa State won it all. I really doubt anyone associated with the UVA basketball team could care less about my not pulling for them in the remainder of the tournament.

Atlanta Duke
03-28-2014, 06:52 PM
Nice read on the NCAA tournament going back to Madison Square Garden tonight for the first time in 53 years.

NCAA tournament returns to NYC, where it was once the main event...

Early-round NCAA games continued to be played at the Garden through 1961 when yet another gambling scandal shook college basketball. Players from city schools St. John's, Columbia and NYU, along with North Carolina State and St. Joseph's, whose 1961 third-place NCAA finish was vacated, once again were tied to gamblers.

Byers and his allies at the NCAA office in Kansas City had seen enough, and the tournament began a half-century-plus absence from the Garden...

Was there another reason the NCAA wanted out of the Garden? George Bisacca, who would ultimately battle NCAA lawyers in court, believes the NIT was a bigger thorn in the NCAA's side than it liked to admit.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/-college-basketball-mens-tournament/news/20140328/ncaa-tournament-history-in-new-york-city/#ixzz2xIgl3237

MaxAMillion
03-28-2014, 07:13 PM
Amen to the Brother brev. It's a thinly veiled slap at everybody who doesn't quite fit whatever that "right way" is.

The only way that really works is to win. Period. The talking heads can hug themselves all they want but they embrace ky, loooville and whatever this year's flavor is.

Whatevs.

Yep...Kyrie Irving is an example of the wrong way. God forbid a basketball player look to turn professional like baseball,tennis, or golfers do at the same age. You have to put the school first at all cost or its the wrong way.

GGLC
03-28-2014, 07:30 PM
Go Cavs! And anyone but Kentucky/Louisville/Florida/Arizona!

CameronDuke
03-28-2014, 07:31 PM
So Duke's program wasn't built the right way? Because we sure as shooting go after 5 star players?

Didn't say anything about UVA the team. I agree, it's hard not to like Bennett and their team. I think Harris is a little overrated because he dropped 30+ against Duke over a year ago and has been the toast of the team since, but Malcolm Brogdon is the most underrated player maybe in the country.

I'm saying I am not actively pulling for Virginia, mostly out of spite to the fans in the rest of the conference. I'm not hoping they get blown out in any game, I would just be happier if Iowa State won it all. I really doubt anyone associated with the UVA basketball team could care less about my not pulling for them in the remainder of the tournament.

I said recruiting 4 year players who graduate is one way I view building a program cleanly. There's nothing wrong with recruiting 5 star recruits.

I don't think it takes an Einstein to figure out who did a better coaching job this year and it wasn't the guy who had two NBA lottery picks on his squad. It was the guy who has no projected 2014 NBA draftees on his roster...

GGLC
03-28-2014, 07:33 PM
Great posts, CameronDuke. Agree wholeheartedly, and would spork you if I could.

Tripping William
03-28-2014, 07:34 PM
I feel for the ears of tonight's Indy crowd. I was in Charlotte in 2011 when Michigan/Tennessee last played Tourney ball, and the alternating of Hail to the Victors and Rocky Top was more than I could stand.

CameronDuke
03-28-2014, 07:35 PM

How has Harris been the toast of the team since? He surely hasn't had a game like he did against Duke in Charlottesville in 2013 but he hasn't been toast either. Did you see the 2014 ACC Championship game? He dropped 15 on Duke including the dagger 3 near the end of the game. Sure, it isn't 30+ but he's a hell of a player still.

Dukehky
03-28-2014, 07:48 PM
How has Harris been the toast of the team since? He surely hasn't had a game like he did against Duke in Charlottesville in 2013 but he hasn't been toast either. Did you see the 2014 ACC Championship game? He dropped 15 on Duke including the dagger 3 near the end of the game. Sure, it isn't 30+ but he's a hell of a player still.

This will be my last post on this topic at all, so bear with me, all of you are perfectly reasonable to disagree with my sentiments about pulling or, more specifically, not pulling for Virginia, so I won't battle it or anything. However...

IRT Joe Harris. I'm not sure you understood the "toast" element of my post. The media slurps them up some Joe Harris when they talk about Virginia. He is a very good player and I like him, but he is overrated. He was preseason first team All-ACC. Probably well deserved because he averaged 16 and 5 last year, but he has not been nearly as good this year. Whenever any talking heads speak about UVA, the first and maybe only person they mention is Joe Harris, and the only reason they know HIS name is because he dropped 36 on Duke last year. This year he averaged 11.8 points per-game and a whopping 2.9 rebounds per game. He is not Virginia's best player. 15 is a very good number, and good for him for hitting the dagger against Duke, but again, you only referenced a Duke game in your analysis of Joe Harris. Very good player, would love to have him on my team, but he is not UVA's best nor most important player on this year's team, and he is oftentimes treated as such, hence my belief that he is overrated.

I hope UVA plays hard and plays well, if they win or lose, no skin off my hide, and I hope everybody riding the ACC ship pulls for them hard.

jacone21
03-28-2014, 07:52 PM
Duke should be playing right this very minute. Instead, fans are arguing about Virginia and Joe Harris. That's so damn sad. I sure hope for better next year.

Dukehky
03-28-2014, 07:55 PM
Duke should be playing right this very minute. Instead, fans are arguing about Virginia and Joe Harris. That's so damn sad. I sure hope for better next year.

So I know I said I was done, but one more thing. This above, is exactly correct. No more arguments from me because it really isn't worth it at this point. I'm watching Harry Potter on ABC Family over the 2 SS games tonight because it still hurts a little bit to watch.

The late games tonight should be a lot of fun though. I am actually looking forward to them, as I imagine most fans are.

CameronDuke
03-28-2014, 07:59 PM
This will be my last post on this topic at all, so bear with me, all of you are perfectly reasonable to disagree with my sentiments about pulling or, more specifically, not pulling for Virginia, so I won't battle it or anything. However...

IRT Joe Harris. I'm not sure you understood the "toast" element of my post. The media slurps them up some Joe Harris when they talk about Virginia. He is a very good player and I like him, but he is overrated. He was preseason first team All-ACC. Probably well deserved because he averaged 16 and 5 last year, but he has not been nearly as good this year. Whenever any talking heads speak about UVA, the first and maybe only person they mention is Joe Harris, and the only reason they know HIS name is because he dropped 36 on Duke last year. This year he averaged 11.8 points per-game and a whopping 2.9 rebounds per game. He is not Virginia's best player. 15 is a very good number, and good for him for hitting the dagger against Duke, but again, you only referenced a Duke game in your analysis of Joe Harris. Very good player, would love to have him on my team, but he is not UVA's best nor most important player on this year's team, and he is oftentimes treated as such, hence my belief that he is overrated.

I hope UVA plays hard and plays well, if they win or lose, no skin off my hide, and I hope everybody riding the ACC ship pulls for them hard.

I am not trying to get into a pissing contest about uva either and I respect your opinion but just feel you're very wrong about Harris and here's why:

Tony Bennett has said publicly to the media that Harris isn't the focal point of this year's offense and has agreed to shoulder less of the scoring load due to two great guards playing significant minutes in the backcourt with him in Brogdon and Perrantes. Both can create their shots at will as well as drive to the rim essentially whenever they want, a skill they possess which is superior to Joe's driving ability. He has been fine with sacrificing a few PPG in his scoring average to allow the offense to be more balanced and this has translated to a championship season. If you would like other stats that he put up in clutch performances look no further than this month in Greensboro: he scored 20 against FSU and 12 against Pitt during their championship run.

As far as being overrated, that is your opinion and media created anyway. I think to my point, originally, Bennett is winning championships with players you yourself have called "overrated." Hell of a coaching job in my eyes and shows he is overachieving with players you yourself said the media thinks are better than they actually are...

pfrduke
03-28-2014, 08:08 PM
Dustin Hogue's haircut is THE BEST

Duvall
03-28-2014, 08:09 PM
I wasn't *planning* to root for Michigan State, but I think you guys might have talked me into it.

jmck214
03-28-2014, 08:10 PM

Watching the Michigan Tennessee game I can't help but think how great of a regional we could have been looking at with Duke vs Michigan and Louisville vs UK. I wonder which matchup would have gotten the "primetime" late start?

CameronDuke
03-28-2014, 08:21 PM

If we take care of business vs a 14 seed (or lower seed) next year your hope may come true! I'm hoping so!

uh_no
03-28-2014, 08:29 PM

i imagine most of you guys are having trouble appreciating much else in this game :)

and of course because i made that comment, i'm going to have to eat crow later....the weauxing gods will probably be after me now......*knock knock*...

OldPhiKap
03-28-2014, 08:33 PM

But his hair is not . . . perfect.

Atlanta Duke
03-28-2014, 08:52 PM
Watching the Michigan Tennessee game I can't help but think how great of a regional we could have been looking at with Duke vs Michigan and Louisville vs UK. I wonder which matchup would have gotten the "primetime" late start?

Depends on when UVA - Michigan State played. CBS/TBS would not want to share the Big 10 market by having Michigan and Michigan State play at the same time.

rsvman
03-28-2014, 09:27 PM
Can't believe the charge call on Stokes.
Boeheim is going to have to call a press conference to change his opinion about the worst call of the year.
Holy smokes.

beach rev
03-28-2014, 09:30 PM
Boeheim is going to have to call a press conference to change his opinion about the worst call of the year.
Holy smokes.

Agreed, rsvman. A valiant comeback by the Vols negated.

Atlanta Duke
03-28-2014, 09:33 PM
Holy smokes.

Michigan gets all the calls - if Duke got that call I doubt we would be hearing "tough call but the right one" and then move on

CameronDuke
03-28-2014, 09:37 PM
Michigan gets all the calls - if Duke got that call I doubt we would be hearing "tough call but the right one" and then move on

How about the ball that went off Tennessee right before that and the ref said it was Tennessee ball AFTER the review? Michigan didn't get that call...

Atlanta Duke
03-28-2014, 09:42 PM
How about the ball that went off Tennessee right before that and the ref said it was Tennessee ball AFTER the review? Michigan didn't get that call...

Calm down - it was a takeoff on "Duke gets all the calls" - I am not a closet Vols fan

IBleedBlue
03-28-2014, 10:22 PM
Calm down - it was a takeoff on "Duke gets all the calls" - I am not a closet Vols fan

Louisville is playing lights out right now and taking the freshmen of UK to woodshed. If they can keep up playing like this, they have a very good chance of winning the second consecutive title.

Newton_14
03-28-2014, 10:25 PM
Go Cavs! And anyone but Kentucky/Louisville/Florida/Arizona!
Sparty makes me sick. They never hit these jumpshots when they play unc. Brick city. UVA is playing great D and down a point because Sparty is making 3's with no time left on the shotclock. They are oh so average when they don't make jumpshots. Duke may live by the 3 but Sparty lives by jumpshots. Hopefully they go into their unc shooting percentage before too much longer.

CR9
03-28-2014, 10:38 PM
UVA are pathetic right now. Clearly, those jumpers only fall against Duke.

CameronDuke
03-28-2014, 10:40 PM
Uva is showing how weak the ACC was this year.

Duvall
03-28-2014, 11:00 PM
Uva is showing how weak the ACC was this year.

What are they showing now?

Newton_14
03-28-2014, 11:01 PM
Exactly.

CR9
03-28-2014, 11:01 PM

Just needed a little DBR encouragement?

Newton_14
03-28-2014, 11:04 PM
Nolte with two bonehead plays in a row. That hurt.

CR9
03-28-2014, 11:07 PM
Still pretty terrible from Virginia that 1) Branden Dawson is beating them off the dribble and 2) they're still behind despite the fact that Payne sat for the last 5 minutes. Mitchell and Gill need to get more involved because I'm sure Izzo will try and take Harris out of the game.

Newton_14
03-28-2014, 11:17 PM
Still pretty terrible from Virginia that 1) Branden Dawson is beating them off the dribble and 2) they're still behind despite the fact that Payne sat for the last 5 minutes. Mitchell and Gill need to get more involved because I'm sure Izzo will try and take Harris out of the game.

We can agree to disagree. Sparty is playing out of their minds and the first set of the game was a perfect example. UVA plays great defense for 34 seconds and the guy catches a pass at the last second, rushes a 3 and hits nothing but nylon.

Aside from a couple of ill-advised drives, and a careless turnover or two, UVA is playing good basketball, They are forcing Sparty to take tough shots and unfortunately Sparty has made 50% of those tough shots against the best defense in the nation. You can't ask anymore of UVA's defense than what they did. The comeback from 10 down to take the lead was darn strong by UVA.

I still like their chances. If Sparty keeps shooting out of their minds they will win, but if they revert to a normal percentage I like UVA to win. It should be a game that goes to the wire either way.

And don't read me wrong, Sparty is darn good as well. These are two highly talented teams going toe to toe. I am just mainly irritated that everytime Sparty plays unc they never play like they are playing tonight.

CR9
03-28-2014, 11:26 PM
We can agree to disagree. Sparty is playing out of their minds and the first set of the game was a perfect example. UVA plays great defense for 34 seconds and the guy catches a pass at the last second, rushes a 3 and hits nothing but nylon.

Aside from a couple of ill-advised drives, and a careless turnover or two, UVA is playing good basketball, They are forcing Sparty to take tough shots and unfortunately Sparty has made 50% of those tough shots against the best defense in the nation. You can't ask anymore of UVA's defense than what they did. The comeback from 10 down to take the lead was darn strong by UVA.

I still like their chances. If Sparty keeps shooting out of their minds they will win, but if they revert to a normal percentage I like UVA to win. It should be a game that goes to the wire either way.

And don't read me wrong, Sparty is darn good as well. These are two highly talented teams going toe to toe. I am just mainly irritated that everytime Sparty plays unc they never play like they are playing tonight.

Well yeah, that's typical game-raising Sparty. I commented numerous times throughout the half how good Virginia's D was. It has been fantastic. I think UVA needs to get to the line. Put Payne under pressure.

FWIW, I love that Staee can't beat Carolina. Living in Lansing, the Schadenfreude from the Staee fans is priceless.

ICP
03-28-2014, 11:34 PM
Well yeah, that's typical game-raising Sparty. I commented numerous times throughout the half how good Virginia's D was. It has been fantastic. I think UVA needs to get to the line. Put Payne under pressure.

FWIW, I love that Staee can't beat Carolina. Living in Lansing, the Schadenfreude from the Staee fans is priceless.

So far MSU has 1 point this half. That's a damn good defense right there for UVA...

CR9
03-28-2014, 11:36 PM
So far MSU has 1 point this half. That's a damn good defense right there for UVA...

I hate how good they are defensively. They gotta be cheating. Team full of clairvoyants.

gumbomoop
03-28-2014, 11:39 PM
Luke Hancock.

ETA 10 minutes later: Luke Hancock.

Utley
03-28-2014, 11:53 PM
Both of the Friday night games are amazing - really high level of basketball being played.

CR9
03-28-2014, 11:54 PM
Mitchell, Gill, Nolte and Tobey still contributing nothing offensively.

CameronDuke
03-28-2014, 11:58 PM
Uva goes to the bonus with 7:32 left in the game. In the second half, 7 fouls have been called on Michigan state already and one on UVA

gumbomoop
03-29-2014, 12:01 AM
ETA [I hope every few minutes]: Luke Hancock.

ETA , 5 minutes later: yep, Luke Hancock. Besides the fact that UL is mostly running its O through him, he was also directing traffic on D, told a teammate to watch under, teammate didn't, UK got open dunk.

CR9
03-29-2014, 12:03 AM
Jesus H. Pick it up, Virginia. 13-2 run to take a 7 point lead which seems insurmountable.

Dukehky
03-29-2014, 12:04 AM
Uva goes to the bonus with 7:32 left in the game. In the second half, 7 fouls have been called on Michigan state already and one on UVA

Harris isn't having a very good game shooting the ball from deep and it seems like nobody else is scoring for them.

I hope he starts making some 3's

Also, anyone else tired of seeing Michigan State slap the floor? Copy cats. Denzel Valentine is also not exactly pleasing to look at.

Duvall
03-29-2014, 12:06 AM
Can't say I didn't get a little enjoyment from seeing Akil Matchell get frustrated after being hacked on a drive with no call.

CameronDuke
03-29-2014, 12:08 AM
Can't say I didn't get a little enjoyment from seeing Akil Matchell get frustrated after being hacked on a drive with no call.

He wasn't hacked there and had no reason to show frustration other than because Payne absolutely blocked the hell out of his shot. It was all ball.

Mabdul Doobakus
03-29-2014, 12:10 AM
If ever I needed two TVs.

Mabdul Doobakus
03-29-2014, 12:14 AM
Alright, now this is just unfair. Two tied games under two minutes.

CR9
03-29-2014, 12:16 AM
Pathetic D from UVA to leave Payne of all people open but if there was ever a time for Joe Harris to step up...

Dukehky
03-29-2014, 12:17 AM
These 4 teams are about to break college basketball right now.

CR9
03-29-2014, 12:21 AM
Egregious no-call.

Mabdul Doobakus
03-29-2014, 12:26 AM
Egregious no-call.

No doubt.

Troublemaker
03-29-2014, 12:27 AM
Two great games. Should not have been scheduled against each other.

Man, let's be here next year playing one of these.

Duvall
03-29-2014, 12:30 AM

I, for one, would be happy with Duke playing in six not-great games in the next NCAAs.

Dukehky
03-29-2014, 12:31 AM

If I'm Izzo I tell the kid to miss this one. Gotta be a full court shot to have a chance.

And he did. See I could be a college basketball coach!!!!

hurleyfor3
Kentucky, Loovul, Michigan. We weren't beating any of them, if it's any consolation.

CR9
4 points from Akil Mitchell. Big time.

Mabdul Doobakus
03-29-2014, 12:33 AM
Well, thanks for playing, ACC basketball. See you next year.

CameronDuke
Good night ACC. Piss poor showing in the NCAAT in 2014 by the supposed best conference in America.

gumbomoop
I was 0 for 4 tonight. Not as important as Russ's ridiculous FT stat. I stuck with the UL-UK game, but what I saw of the other looked exciting.

1 24 90
If Kentucky wins 3 more games, I am going to throw up.

CameronDuke
03-29-2014, 12:38 AM
The A10 places 1 team in the Elite Eight and the ACC places zero. Who sucks more the ACC or the A10?

Henderson
03-29-2014, 12:40 AM
The A10 places 1 team in the Elite Eight and the ACC places zero. Who sucks more the ACC or the A10?

Top to bottom? Meaning would it suck to have to face all the A10 teams in conference play more than it would suck to have to play all the ACC teams in conference play?

This has to be a trick question.

Utley
03-29-2014, 12:42 AM
I'm starting to get a warm spot for Sparty. The whole Princess Lacey story is such a good one and the kids seem really decent

CameronDuke
03-29-2014, 12:43 AM
Guess I'm just asking which conference is better in a way that sort of takes jabs at both of them given Coach K's remarks and Shaka's response. In my eyes the ACC stunk it up in the NCAAT this year while the A10 had a team colossally overachieve. Gotta give the edge to the A10 if I'm comparing the conferences in terms of performance in the NCAAT.

Henderson
03-29-2014, 12:47 AM
I'm starting to get a warm spot for Sparty. The whole Princess Lacey story is such a good one and the kids seem really decent

Setting up that Michigan State-Michigan final? Yeah, I'd watch that.

El_Diablo
03-29-2014, 01:04 AM
And a flop wins it for Michigan. The replay clearly shows the defender start falling backward before the contact.

El_Diablo
03-29-2014, 01:12 AM
And good lord, Doug Gottlieb is so unlikeable. He just makes my skin crawl every time he starts talking.

Olympic Fan
03-29-2014, 02:28 AM

Well, the ACC closes the books at 6-6 (Va 2-1, UNC 1-1, NC State 1-1, Syracuse 1-1, Pitt 1-1, Duke 0-1)

The A-10 still has Dayton alive, but the overall conference record is 4-5. Dayton is 3-0, but the rest of the league is 1-5 (St. Louis 1-1, VCU 0-1, GW 0-1, UMass 0-1, St, Joe's 0-1). FWIW, the A-10 losses can't be blamed on seeding -- two of the losses were by big favorites (No. 5 VCU lost to a 12; No. 6 UMass lost to an 11), two were essentially tossup games (No. 9 GW lost to an 8; No. 5 St. Louis lost to a 4) and only one was dictated by the seeding (No. 10 St. Joe's lost to a 7).

I would argue that you can't read too much into one NCAA game or even one tournament, but I disagree with the idea that the A-10's performance has put the ACC to shame. The ACC has had a terrible tournament, but in CONFERENCE terms, the A-10 has a worse record ... and is an Aaron Craft layup and an NC State meltdown from being 0-6.

If Dayton goes on and wins it all, I will revise this ... but if they lose Saturday, I'll take the ACC's 6-6 over the A-10's 4-6.

Bay Area Duke Fan
03-29-2014, 02:39 AM
Well, the ACC closes the books at 6-6 (Va 2-1, UNC 1-1, NC State 1-1, Syracuse 1-1, Pitt 1-1, Duke 0-1)

The A-10 still has Dayton alive, but the overall conference record is 4-5. Dayton is 3-0, but the rest of the league is 1-5 (St. Louis 1-1, VCU 0-1, GW 0-1, UMass 0-1, St, Joe's 0-1). FWIW, the A-10 losses can't be blamed on seeding -- two of the losses were by big favorites (No. 5 VCU lost to a 12; No. 6 UMass lost to an 11), two were essentially tossup games (No. 9 GW lost to an 8; No. 5 St. Louis lost to a 4) and only one was dictated by the seeding (No. 10 St. Joe's lost to a 7).

I would argue that you can't read too much into one NCAA game or even one tournament, but I disagree with the idea that the A-10's performance has put the ACC to shame. The ACC has had a terrible tournament, but in CONFERENCE terms, the A-10 has a worse record ... and is an Aaron Craft layup and an NC State meltdown from being 0-6.

If Dayton goes on and wins it all, I will revise this ... but if they lose Saturday, I'll take the ACC's 6-6 over the A-10's 4-6.

ACC vs. A-10 ???

I really don't care. Duke's losing to a mediocre team in the first round is what I'll remember (and what will hurt) when I think about this year's tournament.

tommy
03-29-2014, 03:43 AM
Kentucky, Loovul, Michigan. We weren't beating any of them, if it's any consolation.

Well we did beat Michigan handily earlier in the year, albeit at home. And had we advanced we wouldn't have had to play Louisville.

CameronDuke
03-29-2014, 08:49 AM
Heading into the Regional Finals, it's interesting to me that there's a 37.5% chance a Big Ten team will capture the 2014 National Championship and there's a 25% chance an SEC team will take it. Together, there's a 62.5% chance a Big Ten or SEC team wins it all this year. Those are great odds for two conferences that perennially get trash talked for the majority of the season by talking heads. This has been an extremely interesting NCAA Tournament.

Buckeye Devil
03-29-2014, 09:02 AM
In watching the UM Tennessee game, one thing that jumped out at me was the officiating. I thought that was one of the better officiated games I had seen in a while. The refs didn't seem to get in the way of the flow of the game. They called what they needed to call and let them play the game.

One other point that doesn't directly relate to the games: I talked to a diehard UK graduate and fan yesterday prior to the game who commented on attendance at Rupp arena. There are quite a few articles on the web that discuss this with various theories as to why it is happening. But this fan attributed it to recruiting one and done's. According to this guy, the fan base is not establishing a connection with them. He goes back a long way with UK, even to the point of witnessing Texas Western beating Adolph Rupp's UK team way back when. Maybe his thinking is influenced by an "old school" approach to things. But he said many UK fans are failing to connect with today's Wildcats.

pfrduke
03-29-2014, 09:42 AM
Heading into the Regional Finals, it's interesting to me that there's a 37.5% chance a Big Ten team will capture the 2014 National Championship and there's a 25% chance an SEC team will take it. Together, there's a 62.5% chance a Big Ten or SEC team wins it all this year. Those are great odds for two conferences that perennially get trash talked for the majority of the season by talking heads. This has been an extremely interesting NCAA Tournament.

In what universe does the Big Ten routinely get trashed by the media? The two conferences in the conversation for best in the land this year were the Big Ten and the Big XII.

dukelifer
03-29-2014, 10:30 AM

???- Mich State was preseason number 1 and has been everyone's pick. KY was viewed as the best collection of talent ever assembled. Not sure that the conferences have been viewed as inferior but just top heavy.

freshmanjs
03-29-2014, 10:58 AM

uhhh...it's not true that all teams left have an equal chance of winning.

CameronDuke
03-29-2014, 10:59 AM
The 2014 Elite 8 features no team from either ACC or Big 12. The last time both ACC & Big 12 (or Big 8) failed to have team in Elite 8 was 1979.

Hey Swofford, how is that ACC expansion treating the state of men's hoops in the ACC?

CameronDuke
03-29-2014, 10:59 AM
Perhaps it's more the big ten and commentators quickly pointing out their failure to win a national title since 2000 that most strikes me. I have heard analysts say they're a good regular season team and place a team into the final four every so often but haven't won the whole dance since 2000. And the SEC gets overshadowed by their football dominance so maybe it's the lack of attention their conference gets.

CameronDuke
03-29-2014, 11:00 AM
uhhh...it's not true that all teams left have an equal chance of winning.

In my mind at this point it is. That's why they play the game! Debatable point, though, and you could probably pose a valid argument.

CameronDuke
03-29-2014, 11:03 AM
I am hoping for a final four of Florida, Michigan State, Arizona, and Michigan with a Michigan vs Michigan State national title game. Although I would love to see Bo Ryan take his Wisconsin team to the Final Four. I find all three Big Ten coaches left (Izzo, Beilein, and Ryan) to all be very likable and professional coaches. Seeing Ryan, however, in the Final Four would make me happy and restore my faith that a coach can lead his team to the Final Four recruiting four year players and devoting them to adapt to your system.

freshmanjs
03-29-2014, 11:04 AM
In my mind at this point it is. That's why they play the game! Debatable point, though, and you could probably pose a valid argument.

they play the game because each team has a chance. not because each team has an equal chance.

CameronDuke
03-29-2014, 11:22 AM
they play the game because each team has a chance. not because each team has an equal chance.

I throw what little logic I have out at this point and just enjoy the games. My team (Duke) isn't in it anymore, there's no one from the league to pull for anymore, and as far as I see it, anyone could really win at this point. You have a 1 vs a 2 in Zona vs Wiscy which is a toss up, a team that is hot as hell and beat Ohio State, Cuse, and Stanford in Dayton vs Florida (I admit Florida will be favored but don't sleep on a team with momentum in March), a 4 seed vs a 7 seed in Sparty vs UConn (another toss up to me), and a 2 vs an 8 seed in Michigan vs UK (again, Michigan may be favored but UK is hot after knocking off a 9 seed Kansas State, a 1 seed Wichita State, and the best 4 seed in the tournament in Louisville.)

I especially don't put too much thought into who has more or less of a chance to win based off stats, probabilities and the like after Mercer beat Duke. Did anyone give Mercer a greater probability of beating Duke?

Troublemaker
03-29-2014, 12:10 PM
Elite 8 point spreads:

Florida -10 vs Dayton
Arizona -3 vs Wisconsin

Michigan St -5.5 vs UConn
Kentucky -2 vs Michigan

If all the favorites win (unlikely, of course), that's a very chalky Final Four. Not by seed chalk, but by expectation chalk. You'd have the two preseason favorites (UK, MSU), the midseason favorite (Zona), and the pre-tournament favorite (Fla) in the Final Four. Also, except for Louisville, 3 of the 4 pre-tournament favorites to make it out of their regions would've done so.

Troublemaker
03-29-2014, 12:18 PM
I especially don't put too much thought into who has more or less of a chance to win based off stats, probabilities and the like after Mercer beat Duke. Did anyone give Mercer a greater probability of beating Duke?

I understand where you're coming from but I'm with freshmanjs on this one.

If you hit green on a roulette wheel, it doesn't mean that from that point on, green red and black are all equal. The unexpected doesn't become status quo because you observed one data point of unexpected.

_Gary
03-29-2014, 01:07 PM
Well, this is the first time in my personal viewing history of the tourney (stretches back to the late 70's) where I have absolutely no desire to watch anything going forward. Other than UNC getting eliminated (which I am eternally grateful for), I really don't care for any of the teams left in the field. Not a one of them. I can't stand the thought of either Florida, Michigan, Arizona, UConn, MSU or UK winning the title. I just threw up a little in my mouth typing that out. Dayton isn't going to beat Florida so that's not even an option, therefore I guess Wisconsin is the only team that wouldn't kill me if they won. But only just barely since I loathe the Big 10 anyhow.

This Tournament stinks. :mad:

CR9
03-29-2014, 01:14 PM
Well, this is the first time in my personal viewing history of the tourney (stretches back to the late 70's) where I have absolutely no desire to watch anything going forward. Other than UNC getting eliminated (which I am eternally grateful for), I really don't care for any of the teams left in the field. Not a one of them. I can't stand the thought of either Florida, Michigan, Arizona, UConn, MSU or UK winning the title. I just threw up a little in my mouth typing that out. Dayton isn't going to beat Florida so that's not even an option, therefore I guess Wisconsin is the only team that wouldn't kill me if they won. But only just barely since I loathe the Big 10 anyhow.

Agree with alllllll of this.

gumbomoop
03-29-2014, 01:21 PM

Many exciting games so far, but agree that I wouldn't welcome a title by any of 6 teams remaining.

Despite the fact that any number of EK readers will have a fondness for one of the 6, I wonder whether there might be a rough consensus hoping against the odds for a Flyers-Badgers final. Flyers win 94-93 in triple OT.

gumbomoop
03-29-2014, 01:31 PM
Didn't see this coming. This hurts UL next season.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10693918/kevin-ware-transfer-louisville-cardinals-finish-career

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-29-2014, 01:37 PM
Didn't see this coming. This hurts UL next season.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10693918/kevin-ware-transfer-louisville-cardinals-finish-career

No particular love for the Cards, but I do wish that young man the best.

Atlanta Duke
03-29-2014, 01:40 PM
The 2014 Elite 8 features no team from either ACC or Big 12. The last time both ACC & Big 12 (or Big 8) failed to have team in Elite 8 was 1979.

Hey Swofford, how is that ACC expansion treating the state of men's hoops in the ACC?

As was discussed in the article on the home page regarding the departure of Maryland from the ACC, there probably would not be a state of ACC men's hoops to worry about without expansion. The Big East is a shell of its former self after the departures of schools for football reasons. The ACC would be in the same position if it had sat tight with the original members (less South Carolina). Those of us who follow Duke probably would be hoping to have joined the Tar Heels in a joint move to the SEC or Big Ten as an alternative to Duke being adrift after conference realignment.

With Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville and Notre Dame on board my guess is the ACC is much better positioned than prior to the most recent expansions - certainly compared to the A-10:)

Atlanta Duke
03-29-2014, 01:44 PM

I also doubt Dayton has a shot but that is the last team I am rooting for as opposed to against . My nightmare championship game of Florida-Kentucky looms. Go Michigan!

CameronDuke
03-29-2014, 01:46 PM
I understand where you're coming from but I'm with freshmanjs on this one.

If you hit green on a roulette wheel, it doesn't mean that from that point on, green red and black are all equal. The unexpected doesn't become status quo because you observed one data point of unexpected.

Good point, I agree with you.

Hey by the way I saw the lines that someone posted in this thread and if I were a betting man, I'd be all over Dayton covering -10 vs Florida and Michigan -2 vs Kentucky.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-29-2014, 01:49 PM
Many exciting games so far, but agree that I wouldn't welcome a title by any of 6 teams remaining.

Despite the fact that any number of EK readers will have a fondness for one of the 6, I wonder whether there might be a rough consensus hoping against the odds for a Flyers-Badgers final. Flyers win 94-93 in triple OT.

You think Dayton could put up 94 against Wisco? I think it might take several more OTs for that.

I would be happy to see Dayton win a few more games.

gumbomoop
03-29-2014, 02:24 PM
You think Dayton could put up 94 against Wisco? I think it might take several more OTs for that.

I would be happy to see Dayton win a few more games.

I'm hallucinating, just slightly more than usual. If the Flyers were to win "a few" more games, that would by definition get them at least to the last game, so no Gators, Sparty, or Huskies. And since "a few" might plausibly imply more than 2, they're the champs. Go A-10; take that, Krzyzewski.

NSDukeFan
03-29-2014, 02:38 PM
Elite 8 point spreads:

Florida -10 vs Dayton
Arizona -3 vs Wisconsin

Michigan St -5.5 vs UConn
Kentucky -2 vs Michigan

If all the favorites win (unlikely, of course), that's a very chalky Final Four. Not by seed chalk, but by expectation chalk. You'd have the two preseason favorites (UK, MSU), the midseason favorite (Zona), and the pre-tournament favorite (Fla) in the Final Four. Also, except for Louisville, 3 of the 4 pre-tournament favorites to make it out of their regions would've done so.

I think I would throw up a little bit if all the favorites won. Go underdogs!

Troublemaker
03-29-2014, 02:48 PM
Good point, I agree with you.

Hey by the way I saw the lines that someone posted in this thread and if I were a betting man, I'd be all over Dayton covering -10 vs Florida and Michigan -2 vs Kentucky.

Yeah, I wouldn't be flabbergasted if Florida played a ragged Elite 8 game. That's their "getting over the hump" game. If they advance to the Final Four, they'll have a chance to play more freely then.

Oooh, not sure about backing Michigan, though. I think with Kentucky, at this point I'm going to give them credit for being the team people expected them to be preseason. From that standpoint, UK being only 2-pt favorites is quite a deal because if they had been playing this well all season, they'd be favored by more. However, someone could argue "You can't just ignore everything that happened up to the SEC tournament!" and I would find that to be a reasonable take as well. Kentucky will have some of my money tomorrow, though. (But I wouldn't be too sad if I lost.)

uh_no
03-29-2014, 02:56 PM
I'm hallucinating, just slightly more than usual. If the Flyers were to win "a few" more games, that would by definition get them at least to the last game, so no Gators, Sparty, or Huskies. And since "a few" might plausibly imply more than 2, they're the champs. Go A-10; take that, Krzyzewski.

if dayton beats florida, I will go catch a crow, grill it up, and eat it for dinner. certainly they've played well so far, but florida is also in a different class than the teams they've beaten so far....OSU and Cuse were on a big downswing, and stanford certainly isn't florida (duh...they're like 3000 miles apart!)

when you roll doubles three straight times, your next move is to go to jail....but then again, sometimes that is preferable...like if you're on short line and roll double twos...and your buddy has a hotel on boardwalk, and it's your third double so you go to jail instead of paying up....yeah that happened to me once....

speaking of board games....any settlers of catan fans out there? the settlements and cities remind of of houses and hotels....i think settlers of monopoly wouold be a fun board game mashup...charging rent in bricks and sheep

i have also discovered something worse than a duke loss: a hushpuppie that looks tasty but is actually burned....you have let me down, smokey's BBQ shack! speaking of BBQ, if you're in the triangle, I highly recommend the "humble pig" BBQ truck...easily the best wings in the triangle IMO...plus their beer fries and waffle sweet potato fries are delicious.....not necessarily chic-fil-a waffle fries, but not far off.

i will leave you with this parting thought: "I'm not here right now. If I come back before I return, please tell me to wait."

This ramble brought to you by the number 52.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-29-2014, 03:17 PM
if dayton beats florida, I will go catch a crow, grill it up, and eat it for dinner. certainly they've played well so far, but florida is also in a different class than the teams they've beaten so far....OSU and Cuse were on a big downswing, and stanford certainly isn't florida (duh...they're like 3000 miles apart!)

when you roll doubles three straight times, your next move is to go to jail....but then again, sometimes that is preferable...like if you're on short line and roll double twos...and your buddy has a hotel on boardwalk, and it's your third double so you go to jail instead of paying up....yeah that happened to me once....

speaking of board games....any settlers of catan fans out there? the settlements and cities remind of of houses and hotels....i think settlers of monopoly wouold be a fun board game mashup...charging rent in bricks and sheep

i have also discovered something worse than a duke loss: a hushpuppie that looks tasty but is actually burned....you have let me down, smokey's BBQ shack! speaking of BBQ, if you're in the triangle, I highly recommend the "humble pig" BBQ truck...easily the best wings in the triangle IMO...plus their beer fries and waffle sweet potato fries are delicious.....not necessarily chic-fil-a waffle fries, but not far off.

i will leave you with this parting thought: "I'm not here right now. If I come back before I return, please tell me to wait."

Which brings me to my next point: don't do crack.

Yeah, Dayton hasn't played the elite of the tournament yet, but they've vanquished the foes in front of them. I think Florida would be ill-advised to take them lightly.

Regardless of the degree to which they would be bucking the odds, I shall root for them unabashedly. As mentioned upthread - the the heck else would I root for without getting a bad taste in my mouth?

_Gary
03-29-2014, 05:28 PM

Out of all the teams left, that's the best scenario I could think of. Although I'm not seeing Dayton put up 94 against the slow-down game of Wisconsin with even that many overtimes. It'd take five or six to get to that point, imho. But the thought, and winner, is the best thing left. Too bad it won't happen.

Newton_14
03-29-2014, 06:02 PM

Thread hijack alert! Have to agree totally with the bold!! They come to my work place regularly now since we no longer have a cafeteria. While there is nothing humble about their pricing, the cue is outstanding!. Really really good. I second your recommendation. THose in the Triangle really need to look them up and get a meal.

As for the tourney. This tournament has sucked for me. In addition to Duke, I wanted NC State, UVA and Wichita St to go deep. No one will every convince me that Wichita St wasn't the real deal. That was an outstanding ball club and it sickens me that 1. the NCAA put UK as their 8 seed, and 2. UK somehow played up to their talent level and played by far their best game of the season and still Wichita almost beat them. Then msu does the exact same thing against uva last night.

Of the favorites left, I can only stomach Arizona winning it. I like Sean Miller and Archie too for that matter. State screwed the pooch bigtime by not hiring Sean Miller when he desperately wanted the job (they hired Lowe instead). I prefer Dayton or Wisc to win it, in that order, but if that does not happen, please God let Arizona win it rather than any of the rest of the teams.

Dukehky
03-29-2014, 07:05 PM
Florida is really outclassing the flyers right now. The only shot Dayton really had was if they went bonkers from deep, which has not been the case. Their leading scorer, Sibert, has count em 0 points. A 14 point lead for Florida is insurmountable unless you are UK apparently, and even they didn't win.

I'm good with Michigan State vs. Florida Final Four match-up. Probably the two best teams remaining, maybe they will just beat the hell out of each other and be too tired to play well in the Finals (provided UK loses at some point along the way)

I am not rooting for anyone, only against a lot of people.

gurufrisbee
03-29-2014, 07:25 PM
This is the conclusion of the inevitable. When the brackets came out the absolute easiest pick on the whole thing was FLorida to the final four. It's simple - who in the bracket can actually win four straight games against good competition? Syracuse? It's not November. Kansas? Without Embiid- not a chance. UCLA? They never had all season long. VCU? Ohio St? I mean it just was obvious. The committee usually sets up one region every year where there is truly only one realistic option - this was it.

I do wonder if Kentucky beats Michigan, how a week straight of sitting around and realizing they did almost nothing to get there and knowing how close the Wildcats were to beating them in the SEC championship game and how much better Kentucky is playing now will mess with the heads of the Gators.

freshmanjs
03-29-2014, 08:32 PM
This is the conclusion of the inevitable. When the brackets came out the absolute easiest pick on the whole thing was FLorida to the final four. It's simple - who in the bracket can actually win four straight games against good competition? Syracuse? It's not November. Kansas? Without Embiid- not a chance. UCLA? They never had all season long. VCU? Ohio St? I mean it just was obvious. The committee usually sets up one region every year where there is truly only one realistic option - this was it.

I do wonder if Kentucky beats Michigan, how a week straight of sitting around and realizing they did almost nothing to get there and knowing how close the Wildcats were to beating them in the SEC championship game and how much better Kentucky is playing now will mess with the heads of the Gators.

if you were so sure, you should have borrowed a ton of money and bet on it. you would be rich.

gurufrisbee
03-29-2014, 08:39 PM
if you were so sure, you should have borrowed a ton of money and bet on it. you would be rich.

I did have that much confidence in it. I don't gamble though. Can you even bet on things like one team's chances to go to the Final Four?

IBleedBlue
03-29-2014, 08:40 PM
I would hate for Florida to win it all. For one, Billy Donovan will win his 3rd national championship at such an young age. He will be closing the gap with Coach K.

This year, I want Wisconsin to win it all. Give Bo Ryan his first final four and NC also. He is close to retirement as is.

freshmanjs
03-29-2014, 08:43 PM
I did have that much confidence in it. I don't gamble though. Can you even bet on things like one team's chances to go to the Final Four?

yes.

_Gary
03-29-2014, 08:46 PM

Technically this is the bell curve at it's finest. But the truth is the South region was indeed a cupcake bracket where Florida was the only logical choice. All three of the other brackets had at least semi-serious contenders that were NOT #1 seeds. Not so with the South. I guess this is the benefit of being the number one overall seed going in. Regardless of what happens in the later game tonight, or either game tomorrow, I'd defy anyone to make a case that Florida will not have had the easiest path to the Final Four. As Dickie V would say, "Cupcake City." I can only hope MSU beats UConn and comes to play some serious ball next Saturday. That will be the only tough team the Gators will have played at out 5 games in the Tournament up to that point.

gurufrisbee
03-29-2014, 08:51 PM
Technically this is the bell curve at it's finest. But the truth is the South region was indeed a cupcake bracket where Florida was the only logical choice. All three of the other brackets had at least semi-serious contenders that were NOT #1 seeds. Not so with the South. I guess this is the benefit of being the number one overall seed going in. Regardless of what happens in the later game tonight, or either game tomorrow, I'd defy anyone to make a case that Florida will not have had the easiest path to the Final Four. As Dickie V would say, "Cupcake City." I can only hope MSU beats UConn and comes to play some serious ball next Saturday. That will be the only tough team the Gators will have played at out 5 games in the Tournament up to that point.

That's a good point. I know the overall #1 should get the weakest 2, but they should get the toughest 3, then. I feel like Kansas without Embiid should have never been a 2 anyways - and Iowa State was probably the best 3, but got bumped because Kansas was there. UCLA was not a real 4 seed either, IMO. It was cupcakes, but just like in their conference, Florida took it and ran away with it. That's what you're supposed to do when all you have is easy ones, so good for them. Hope they are ready when some real competition comes to North Texas.

CR9
03-29-2014, 09:22 PM
That Hayes kid for Wiscy hooked the hell out of Gordon. That's twice I've seen it now. The first time a foul was inexplicably called on Gordon; the second was a no call but it's so blatant.

Atlanta Duke
03-29-2014, 09:34 PM

As stated in a previous post, Vegas will set futures bets on just about any major sporting event

The Gators were 9-5 to win the South after the pairings were announced (11-2 to win it all)

Kentucky was 12-1 to win the Midwest (33-1 to win the national championship)

http://www.streakingthelawn.com/2014/3/17/5518466/ncaa-tournament-2014-regional-championship-vegas-odds-sports-betting

It is almost as if Kentucky tanked the regular season to drive up the odds on a bet for UK to win it all - Kentucky was 3-1 to win it all last October

http://www.oddsshark.com/ncaab/college-basketball-futures

TheDevilMadeMeDoIt
03-29-2014, 10:18 PM
When the Arizona/Wisconsin game began I told my wife to watch how bad the refs would be, an all ACC crew. Sure enough at half time Charles Barkley called out the crew for how bad they were. Why can't ACC refs call a good game?

Furniture
03-29-2014, 10:38 PM
Awesome game though...

moonpie23
03-29-2014, 10:50 PM
poor last play by the badgers…….OT

Furniture
03-29-2014, 10:53 PM
Kaminsky reminds me of a White Raven...

CR9
03-29-2014, 10:55 PM
Should be a flagrant, shouldn't it? Flailing elbows and such.

EDIT: Guess not.

moonpie23
03-29-2014, 11:05 PM
wow…..an ACC official called a CHARGE!!!!!!!!! and it wasn't on jabari parker...

Atlanta Duke
03-29-2014, 11:08 PM
Zapruder film level analysis of the tipped inbound pass

Duvall
03-29-2014, 11:08 PM
Clougherty's finest distinguishing themselves now.

devildeac
03-29-2014, 11:09 PM
Yes it was. Plus they added a flagrant 1 call on Dawkins.

Furniture
03-29-2014, 11:10 PM
I really don't know how they could see that. I am glad A lost..

devildeac
03-29-2014, 11:11 PM
When the Arizona/Wisconsin game began I told my wife to watch how bad the refs would be, an all ACC crew. Sure enough at half time Charles Barkley called out the crew for how bad they were. Why can't ACC refs call a good game?

They may not have this replay completed until well after midnight.

CR9
03-29-2014, 11:11 PM
Thank god. Sean Miller is such an unlikeable guy. Just a douche. Glad he won't get a ring this season.

devildeac
03-29-2014, 11:12 PM
I really don't know how they could see that. I am glad A lost..

It was an acc crew. They can see (and hear) everything:rolleyes:.

moonpie23
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha…..

love seeing miller lose……..

didn't even get the shot off…!!!

NashvilleDevil
Good. Arizona was least likable team left in the tourney and I know Kentucky is involved.

Atlanta Duke
03-29-2014, 11:14 PM
I think I found my team to support for the duration after that second half and postgame interview with Coach Ryan

moonpie23
03-29-2014, 11:14 PM
love the arizona team……..HATE Sean miller………and his little brother…

Olympic Fan
03-29-2014, 11:16 PM
Great finish ... glad Wisconsin won -- negates any controversy over the final review.

I have a big screen and hi-def ... I replayed it several times in extreme slow-mo ... I THINK it was off Jefferson. He definitely touches it first with his right hand, then the Wisconsin guy touches it with his right and left hand, but the last guy to touch it was Jefferson with his left hand. It should have been Wisconsin's ball. Amazed they overturned it on that little evidence ... but they were ACC refs.

On the other hand, I thought Johnson was fouled on the drive. He did push off, but he was bumped first ...

uh_no
03-29-2014, 11:18 PM

uconn already beat florida this year.

CameronDuke
03-29-2014, 11:19 PM
Im so happy for Bo Ryan to be taking his Wisconsin team to the Final Four. If that dedication of the win to his recently deceased father didn't give you goosebumps you don't have a pulse!

Wisconsin is a classic half court, slug it out type team that defends and I couldn't be happier to see a team with such a style go to the Final Four. On Wisconsin!

sagegrouse
03-29-2014, 11:29 PM
I thought Arizona got jobbed on the player-control foul with 3+ seconds left. Wisconsin had two fouls on the play to the Wildcats' one: a hard initial bump, a pushoff by Arizona, and then a clear hack by the Badgers. Call the first foul or let 'em play.

brevity
03-29-2014, 11:31 PM
If Michigan State wins tomorrow, there will be a reunion of sorts for three programs (MSU, Florida, Wisconsin) from the 2000 Final Four. The fourth team that year was UNC, so we can already guarantee a better Final Four this year.

Duvall
03-29-2014, 11:31 PM
If Michigan State wins tomorrow, there will be a reunion of sorts for three programs (MSU, Florida, Wisconsin) from the 2000 Final Four. The fourth team that year was UNC, so we can already guarantee a better Final Four this year.

*reflects on 2000 Final Four*

*checks movie listings for next Saturday*

IBleedBlue
03-29-2014, 11:44 PM
Very glad that Coach Bo Ryan gets to go to his first FF.
Now hoping Florida doesn't win.

Billy Dat
03-29-2014, 11:52 PM
Kaminsky reminds me of a White Raven...

Frank the Tank! Frank the Tank! Frank the Tank!

Atlanta Duke
03-30-2014, 12:02 AM
I thought Arizona got jobbed on the player-control foul with 3+ seconds left. Wisconsin had two fouls on the play to the Wildcats' one: a hard initial bump, a pushoff by Arizona, and then a clear hack by the Badgers. Call the first foul or let 'em play.

Same ref called the charge in the second Duke-Syracuse game - maybe Coach Boeheim has some thoughts

Tony Greene called Johnson for a charge with three seconds left in overtime. He is the same official who called Syracuse’s C.J. Fair for a charge in the final seconds at Duke.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/97823/five-observations

ice-9
03-30-2014, 12:34 AM

If Michigan State and Michigan win tomorrow, as Vegas expects, there will be three Big 10 teams in the Final Four. Yikes!

DesertDevil
03-30-2014, 12:43 AM
Thanks to Sconnie for making my life here in Tucson easier.

Suck it U of A!

MaxAMillion
03-30-2014, 12:50 AM
That Wisconsin/UA game was painful. No offense in 45 minutes. I was hoping the new rules would help some in the tournament but not enough unfortunately. I basically watched 48 Hours and turned back during commercials. I didn't feel like I missed much because the score would barely change after turning away for 10 minutes at a time.

luburch
03-30-2014, 12:52 AM
Thank god. Sean Miller is such an unlikeable guy. Just a douche. Glad he won't get a ring this season.

Completely disagree. I really like Miller.

moonpie23
03-30-2014, 01:20 AM
Completely disagree. I really like Miller.

i disagree with your disagree…..which means i agree that he IS a complete douche…..so is his little brother...

tommy
03-30-2014, 01:56 AM
A bunch of posters have opined that this tournament has sucked. And in some respects, I agree. Like Duke going out so early and so many unlikable teams/coaches being so close to winning the thing.

But on the other hand, I think there have been a number of really terrific basketball games, from a pure fan's perspective. Just off the top of my head, I have really enjoyed watching Michigan/Tennessee, Louisville/Kentucky, Arizona/San Diego State, Virginia/Michigan State, Arizona/Wisconsin, Stanford/Kansas, Kentucky/Wichita State, and I'm sure some others too.

But one thing that has really hit me this year, and it really does suck, is the continued homogenization of the presentation of the tournament. I don't know if it's the NCAA, or CBS, or who, but I don't like it. It's been a couple of years now that every single court in every arena in tournament play has to be painted exactly the same along the end lines, same color scheme, same font. In years past, at least it was able to say the name of the arena in that color scheme and font, and I think it did so in the center circle too. Now this year not only are the color schemes and fonts exactly the same in on every tournament court, but now they don't even allow the name of the arena or the city to be included. The result is that every court looks exactly the same. Exactly. You don't know where you are, who you're watching, what region it is, where it's coming from. Nothing unique about it, or even close. I hate that. No "personality" or identities allowed.

And the other thing is those stupid t-shirts that all the players are wearing, in big letters "The ___ Way." I think the first one I saw might've been NC State, where they said "The Wolfpack Way." OK, alliteration, new, I'm fine with it. Then, before I knew it I saw kids wearing t-shirts saying "The ___ Way" for just about every team in the tournament. Why oh why, NCAA, must the players on the bench on every team in the tournament wear identical t-shirts with the same not-clever-anymore slogan? Why can't each school come up with their own slogan for their own t-shirts? Why do you have to control and homogenize every single aspect of this tournament, the beauty and fun of which is the randomness and the surprise and the wonder and the differences? Why are you trying so hard to squeeze every dose of uniqueness and difference out of this thing? Why?

Duvall
03-30-2014, 02:33 AM
And the other thing is those stupid t-shirts that all the players are wearing, in big letters "The ___ Way." I think the first one I saw might've been NC State, where they said "The Wolfpack Way." OK, alliteration, new, I'm fine with it. Then, before I knew it I saw kids wearing t-shirts saying "The ___ Way" for just about every team in the tournament. Why oh why, NCAA, must the players on the bench on every team in the tournament wear identical t-shirts with the same not-clever-anymore slogan? Why can't each school come up with their own slogan for their own t-shirts? Why do you have to control and homogenize every single aspect of this tournament, the beauty and fun of which is the randomness and the surprise and the wonder and the differences? Why are you trying so hard to squeeze every dose of uniqueness and difference out of this thing? Why?

That's actually an Adidas thing. Won't see them on anyone tomorrow except Michigan.

gumbomoop
03-30-2014, 07:31 AM
Front page story this morn ["Sunday's Notes"] mistakenly refers to FF matchup between Fla and Wisconsin. Might happen, but not in semis, which I think is the meaning of the last sentence in the article. Sometimes the way the bracket is presented gets confusing, but Fla gets MichSt-UConn winner, while Wisconsin gets UK-Mich winner.

mgtr
03-30-2014, 09:00 AM
A bunch of posters have opined that this tournament has sucked. And in some respects, I agree. Like Duke going out so early and so many unlikable teams/coaches being so close to winning the thing.

But on the other hand, I think there have been a number of really terrific basketball games, from a pure fan's perspective. Just off the top of my head, I have really enjoyed watching Michigan/Tennessee, Louisville/Kentucky, Arizona/San Diego State, Virginia/Michigan State, Arizona/Wisconsin, Stanford/Kansas, Kentucky/Wichita State, and I'm sure some others too.

But one thing that has really hit me this year, and it really does suck, is the continued homogenization of the presentation of the tournament. I don't know if it's the NCAA, or CBS, or who, but I don't like it. It's been a couple of years now that every single court in every arena in tournament play has to be painted exactly the same along the end lines, same color scheme, same font. In years past, at least it was able to say the name of the arena in that color scheme and font, and I think it did so in the center circle too. Now this year not only are the color schemes and fonts exactly the same in on every tournament court, but now they don't even allow the name of the arena or the city to be included. The result is that every court looks exactly the same. Exactly. You don't know where you are, who you're watching, what region it is, where it's coming from. Nothing unique about it, or even close. I hate that. No "personality" or identities allowed.

I agree with this post, but I don't think there have been all that many great games. I have been able to switch over to two other programs during many games, and not miss much of the game or the story lines. And, the plain Vanilla approach to venues is bothersome. There should be uniqueness to each venue (and to the announcers and color guys). At least I guess they got rid of the stickers (or maybe just some of them) on the playing surface.

Atlanta Duke
03-30-2014, 11:09 AM
With Maryland not being in the tournament, Arizona fans pitch in to carry on traditions

Arizona fans riot, confront law enforcement on campus after loss

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24507219/arizona-fans-riot-confront-law-enforcement-on-campus-after-loss

Here is a Turtle
03-30-2014, 12:04 PM
With Maryland not being in the tournament, Arizona fans pitch in to carry on traditions

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24507219/arizona-fans-riot-confront-law-enforcement-on-campus-after-loss

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at this.

mgtr
03-30-2014, 12:52 PM

Please don't let them into the ACC! :D

hurleyfor3
03-30-2014, 01:31 PM

I want to say that started in 2007, definitely by 2008. In fact the city is painted one end of the court and the name of the arena is on the other.

There were a few reasons the NCAA did this. One, which I think we all can agree with, was to move away from slapping decals on the court which players could slip on, and to eliminate extraneous markings such as the nba three-point line. Another was a branding reason, to present a unified look to all the games and present them as "ncaa tournament" and not "college players playing in some nba arena".

A third reason, never stated but pretty obvious, was to eliminate the free advertising on many courts, for example the United Center in Chicago with all its United logos. The NCAA blacks out all the advertising everywhere else in the arena; the court, rather ironically, was the only place where one could still see logos.

That said, the blue/black color scheme is not particularly appealing, and I'm not sure why they couldn't use multiple color schemes for different arenas -- it would help during the early rounds to know which site you're looking at. Also, why is it necessary to have the word "Basketball" in large letters along the side of the court? Is there confusion regarding what sport is intended to be played?

-jk
03-30-2014, 02:21 PM
I want to say that started in 2007, definitely by 2008. In fact the city is painted one end of the court and the name of the arena is on the other.

There were a few reasons the NCAA did this. One, which I think we all can agree with, was to move away from slapping decals on the court which players could slip on, and to eliminate extraneous markings such as the nba three-point line. Another was a branding reason, to present a unified look to all the games and present them as "ncaa tournament" and not "college players playing in some nba arena".

A third reason, never stated but pretty obvious, was to eliminate the free advertising on many courts, for example the United Center in Chicago with all its United logos. The NCAA blacks out all the advertising everywhere else in the arena; the court, rather ironically, was the only place where one could still see logos.

That said, the blue/black color scheme is not particularly appealing, and I'm not sure why they couldn't use multiple color schemes for different arenas -- it would help during the early rounds to know which site you're looking at. Also, why is it necessary to have the word "Basketball" in large letters along the side of the court? Is there confusion regarding what sport is intended to be played?

Don't forget the money: they carve the courts up and sell chunks! Duke sold chunks in 2010.

-jk

devildeac
03-30-2014, 02:50 PM
From that espn article:

"Ryan was given a technical foul in the first half while his team was huddling during a timeout. It seemed similar to when Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski received a technical in the ACC tournament championship game for throwing his pen at the bench. Speaking of the Blue Devils, Tony Greene called Johnson for a charge with three seconds left in overtime. He is the same official who called Syracuse’s C.J. Fair for a charge in the final seconds at Duke."

Interesting that a poster upthread mused to his wife about the (acc) officiating in this game before it started and espn mentions two "controversies."

Hmm...

CR9
03-30-2014, 02:57 PM
UCONN's offense is just like Dukes; nonexistent. Just a bunch of isos. No real plays or offensive idea.

GGLC
03-30-2014, 03:19 PM
Regarding UK and Michigan: when an 8 seed is favored by 2.5 points over a healthy-as-it-was-when-it-was-seeded 2 seed, that's when you know that something was out of whack about the seedings.

freshmanjs
03-30-2014, 03:20 PM
Regarding UK and Michigan: when an 8 seed is favored by 2.5 points over a healthy-as-it-was-when-it-was-seeded 2 seed, that's when you know that something was out of whack about the seedings.

not really. the seeding is based on achievement, not potential.

CR9
03-30-2014, 03:31 PM
Incredible luck. It's State's night after that.

GGLC
03-30-2014, 03:43 PM
not really. the seeding is based on achievement, not potential.

It should obviously be based on both. An 8 seed should not be favored over a 2 seed in the absence of extenuating circumstances on the part of the 2 seed.

I'm still bitter about Wichita State getting screwed with its region, though.

freshmanjs
03-30-2014, 03:45 PM
It should obviously be based on both. An 8 seed should not be favored over a 2 seed in the absence of extenuating circumstances on the part of the 2 seed.

I'm still bitter about Wichita State getting screwed with its region, though.

obviously to who?

i think an 8 seed for KY was totally reasonable based on how they played this year. there was always the chance KY would get it together and become a dominant team, but they hadn't done it yet when the seeding was done.

Wildling
03-30-2014, 04:22 PM
I don't know about you guys, but the thought of Uconvict and Kentucky in the final 4 makes me want to vomit.

CR9
03-30-2014, 04:26 PM
Rather those 2, in all honesty, than 3 B1G schools.

IBleedBlue
03-30-2014, 04:27 PM
I don't know about you guys, but the thought of Uconvict and Kentucky in the final 4 makes me want to vomit.

MSU is doing all they can to give away the game. Sloppy ball handling, bad passing, tacky fouls...the refs seem to be calling everything in favor of Uconn right now.

Des Esseintes
03-30-2014, 04:29 PM
The NCAA Tournament results are skewed. Wisconsin Effect.

Duke95
03-30-2014, 04:30 PM
Bye bye Sparty.

UConn-Florida rematch in the FF.

uh_no
03-30-2014, 04:33 PM
Bye bye Sparty.

UConn-Florida rematch in the FF.

free. throw. shooting

uconn went 41-44 in new york and are 81-92 in the tournament.

moonpie23
03-30-2014, 04:34 PM
somehow, it's not quite as bad since calhoun isn't the coach……i'm not saying it's GOOD….just not quite as bad….

ugh...

1 24 90
03-30-2014, 04:35 PM
Kudos to the Uconn kids who stayed with the program when they were ineligible for the tourney last year. Glad that Izzo's Final Four streak with seniors is over too.

Atlanta Duke
03-30-2014, 04:37 PM

CBS is happy to get a Northeast team in there for ratings

My guess is they are rooting to get Kentucky in order to get a big brand name and avoid an all Big 10 semi-final

I associate the evils of UConn with Calhoun - if he was still coaching UConn I would be ill about their win - the joy of Coach Ollie is fun to see

GGLC
03-30-2014, 04:50 PM
Rather those 2, in all honesty, than 3 B1G schools.

Not me. If Kentucky never made another tournament under Calipari, that would be only the smallest measure of comeuppance for the slimy, scumbag cheater.

CameronDuke
03-30-2014, 04:56 PM
I'm pulling hard for Michigan to destroy Kentucky so I don't have to watch both Kentucky and UConn in the Final Four next weekend. I'm hoping Michigan or Wisconsin wins the national championship at this point. Both have coaches I really admire, likable players, and are great schools academically speaking. I don't see how anyone could pull for loser institutions like Kentucky who employs a cheater in Calipari or UConn who lets convicts play in their program.

_Gary
03-30-2014, 05:08 PM
It all makes sense now. Everything has been predestined this Tournament. It's all about one thing and one thing only. Don't let anyone deceive you in this. I'm about to impart serious, insightful basketball fate/gods/fill in the blank stuff right now:

It's all about Florida. Yep. This is about the Gators having the easiest path to their eventual championship. I'm not sure if Donovan has sacrificed more chickens than normal, or what, but this Tournament is all leading to a very obvious finish: UF will cut down the nets, and the resistance factor has been removed at every step along the way. They have yet to play one team that could have legitimately beat them. And it won't happen in the FF semis, because UConn will come back down to planet earth and lay down (after beating them a couple of months ago) so the Gators can continue to march toward yet another title for the great - the awesome - the magnificent - Billy Donovan. I now fully expect UK to beat UM, and then a valiant Wisconsin in the other semi, only to look back into the eyes of the Gators in the Championship game and lie down once more.

Yep, you can mortgage your house on this one boys and girls. It's the Gators Tournament. Plain and Simple. The basketball gods have foreordained it.

BTW, someone pass the Pepto-Bismol. I'm going to be sick.

ICP
03-30-2014, 05:37 PM
I am encouraged to see Kentucky doing well with so many freshmen because it leads me to think we could do just as well next year with a team starring 2-3 freshmen in key roles. I don't care much for Calipari, but as long as Coach K is now wedded to the OAD model, as he implied, it's good to see the win by KY a few years ago wasn't just a fluke. I also think it makes it harder for me to justify our loss to Mercer mainly by thinking of the age difference, given how KY's freshmen were so poised against the upperclassmen of Louisville the other night...

Duke95
03-30-2014, 05:46 PM
Stauskas is humiliating Kentucky.

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-30-2014, 05:58 PM
The refs are now humiliating Michigan.

Duke95
03-30-2014, 06:07 PM
Man, Kentucky has some athletes.

Ultrarunner
03-30-2014, 06:08 PM

I've given up trying to understand what a charge is. Also, as best I can determine, hammering into a player with a shoulder is the approved manner of 'creating' space. Other than wrapping their ribs for the next hit, defenders can't do a whole lot.

Also, goal tendering isn't what it used to be.

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-30-2014, 06:13 PM
I've given up trying to understand what a charge is. Also, as best I can determine, hammering into a player with a shoulder is the approved manner of 'creating' space. Other than wrapping their ribs for the next hit, defenders can't do a whole lot.

Also, goal tendering isn't what it used to be.
And apparently rolling on the floor with the ball is no longer a traveling violation. I mean there were about 4 key missed called that helped UK get back into it... No travel call, no goal tending and two missed charges. It's the inconsistency that's frustrating to see.

g-money
03-30-2014, 06:19 PM
I'm pulling hard for Michigan to destroy Kentucky so I don't have to watch both Kentucky and UConn in the Final Four next weekend.

Yeah, the only thing that would be worse is if Carolina joined UK and UConn in the FF. As a Duke fan, that would be the ultimate nightmare.

Of course, then there's Florida. If UF (FU?) wins it all this year, Donovan will be one natty shy of Coach K. Not something I really want to think about.

CoachJ10
03-30-2014, 06:22 PM

First things first, I want both teams to lose...so there is no upside for me in this game.

That being said...Michigan is getting allowed to play interior defense that would have Amile and Jabari with 4 fouls each in the first half with the way we got officiated during the season. I would be very happy with the refs if I were a Wolverine.

Ps Jabari wants to know why everyone gets away with travels but him...

dukelifer
03-30-2014, 06:23 PM
I am encouraged to see Kentucky doing well with so many freshmen because it leads me to think we could do just as well next year with a team starring 2-3 freshmen in key roles. I don't care much for Calipari, but as long as Coach K is now wedded to the OAD model, as he implied, it's good to see the win by KY a few years ago wasn't just a fluke. I also think it makes it harder for me to justify our loss to Mercer mainly by thinking of the age difference, given how KY's freshmen were so poised against the upperclassmen of Louisville the other night...

I think Michigan has a younger roster than KY. Florida is also winning with seniors. Good players playing well win games - regardless of age. Good players have bad games. Upsets happen. Teams get on a roll. Best team does not always win. Thus is the nature of a one and done tourney.

dukelifer
03-30-2014, 06:30 PM
Yeah, the only thing that would be worse is if Carolina joined UK and UConn in the FF. As a Duke fan, that would be the ultimate nightmare.

Of course, then there's Florida. If UF (FU?) wins it all this year, Donovan will be one natty shy of Coach K. Not something I really want to think about.

If Donovan does win this- he has a good shot to win 4 and possibly 5. He is only 48. If he sticks with the college game he has 17-20 years to get 1 more. He has 450 wins and 20*28=560. So he has a chance to win the most games. 1 more NC will get him into the best coach conversation.

gurufrisbee
03-30-2014, 06:34 PM
Uconn makes me want to gag. They got such a lopsided officiating edge I thought they were playing Duke in the Final Four. Puke.

Michigan is annoying me for a whole other reason. They have no rebounding and no interior defense and still might make the Final Four. We were so sure those were why Duke would never make it this year.

Duke95
03-30-2014, 06:35 PM
Uconn makes me want to gag. They got such a lopsided officiating edge I thought they were playing Duke in the Final Four. Puke.

Michigan is annoying me for a whole other reason. They have no rebounding and no interior defense and still might make the Final Four. We were so sure those were why Duke would never make it this year.

Well, if Kentucky so much as looks hard at Stauskas, it's a foul.

Kentucky is just dominating the boards.

gurufrisbee
03-30-2014, 06:35 PM
How scared is Florida going to be going into the Final Four? They only lost two games all season - to UConn and Wisconsin! And last time they played Kentucky they only won by one!

gurufrisbee
03-30-2014, 06:37 PM

Kentucky is dominating the boards.

Stauskas at least is getting contact.

Napier spent that whole first game falling down BEFORE there was any contact (90% of which HE iniatiated). He looked like he was making a How To video for flopping soccer players.

dukelifer
03-30-2014, 06:38 PM

The more I watch KY - the more it looks like this is their tourney. They got hot at the right time and the they can play with any team left. Can't see Fla beating them 4 times. Very unfortunate. I will be very happy if this prediction proves to be wrong but some teams just look the part.

gurufrisbee
03-30-2014, 06:42 PM
The more I watch KY - the more it looks like this is their tourney. They got hot at the right time and the they can play with any team left. Can't see Fla beating them 4 times. Very unfortunate. I will be very happy if this prediction proves to be wrong but some teams just look the part.

If you could go through Wichita St, LVille, Michigan, Wisconsin, and then Florida you will have definitely earned that title. I'm still hoping they'll get a freshman brain fart game like they did a handful of times during the season.

CR9
03-30-2014, 06:42 PM
How scared is Florida going to be going into the Final Four? They only lost two games all season - to UConn and Wisconsin! And last time they played Kentucky they only won by one!

Napier is going to abuse Wilbekin all game long. Again.

g-money
03-30-2014, 06:45 PM
If Donovan does win this- he has a good shot to win 4 and possibly 5. He is only 48. If he sticks with the college game he has 17-20 years to get 1 more. He has 450 wins and 20*28=560. So he has a chance to win the most games. 1 more NC will get him into the best coach conversation.

That would be a bummer. I don't dislike Donovan as much as I do guys like Cal, Roy, Pitino, etc., but I still don't want to see him catch Coach K.

I hear there will be a lot of NBA jobs opening up this summer; maybe that can cut down his odds a bit.

sagegrouse
03-30-2014, 06:45 PM

A question::rolleyes: If two teams are playing a fourth time, would you rather be the team that was 0-3 or the team that was 3-0?

Duke95
03-30-2014, 06:49 PM
A question::rolleyes: If two teams are playing a fourth time, would you rather be the team that was 0-3 or the team that was 3-0?

Depends on what the previous 3 scores were and where the games were played. In this case, honestly, if it is FL-UK, it's a tossup.

dukelifer
03-30-2014, 06:53 PM

Well given that this is for the NC- it probably doesn't matter. But familiar foes are much easier to prepare for and the KY Freshman will be looser. So in this case - I would go with the 0-3 team.

vick
03-30-2014, 06:54 PM
Depends on what the previous 3 scores were and where the games were played. In this case, honestly, if it is FL-UK, it's a tossup.

No way would Florida-UK be a tossup if they played tomorrow (even if Cauley-Stein is healthy). Obviously UK could win but Florida would be favored.

gurufrisbee
03-30-2014, 06:55 PM

If one team is clearly better than the other, then the 3-0 team.

If the two teams are pretty comparable in skill, then there is some logic in thinking perhaps the fourth time the lucky bounces/breaks/calls will go differently and that team will finally be on the good side after three defeats.

If it is Kentucky, they will be a on a tremendous win streak going into the game against top teams including a 1, 2, 4, and 2 seed - including Wisconsin (who Florida couldn't beat). Florida will be on streak of beating a 9, 4, 11, and 7.

Atlanta Duke
03-30-2014, 06:57 PM

Not that it is the reason he did it, but K coaching Team USA provides a firewall to just tying him in national championships in terms of legacy

dukelifer
03-30-2014, 06:58 PM
If you could go through Wichita St, LVille, Michigan, Wisconsin, and then Florida you will have definitely earned that title. I'm still hoping they'll get a freshman brain fart game like they did a handful of times during the season.

Absolutely. They are just playing well now. You can see the confidence building. This is a team that thinks it is better than it is - but they have very talented players and a ton of bodies.

dukelifer
03-30-2014, 07:06 PM
Not that it is the reason he did it, but K coaching Team USA provides a firewall to just tying him in national championships in terms of legacy

That job is up for grabs in 4 years

Utley
03-30-2014, 07:10 PM
What a fantastic game!! I hate uk but they have been in two classics this weekend.

dukelifer
03-30-2014, 07:11 PM
That was one unbelievable possession by Michigan!

dukelifer
03-30-2014, 07:13 PM
Yep! That of course was going in- and solidifying the Harrison twins as the most cocky players in America.

Utley
03-30-2014, 07:13 PM
Kentucky up with 2.3. Seconds remaining again - kind of crazy

Duke95
03-30-2014, 07:14 PM
Wow. What a shot.

CR9
03-30-2014, 07:15 PM
Trey Burke'd.

Duke95
03-30-2014, 07:16 PM
The ghost of Laettner's shot is about to haunt Kentucky.

duke96
03-30-2014, 07:17 PM
Ugh. The I still hate laettner shirts are headed to Dallas.

Go badgers!

Duke95
03-30-2014, 07:18 PM
You have to hand it to Kentucky. They turned on the jets at the right time.

dukelifer
I do not see Billy Donovan signing up for a 10 year commitment there

Moot now that KY has won. Maybe this will get Cal to go to the NBA.

Atlanta Duke
That job is up for grabs in 4 years

I do not see Billy Donovan signing up for a 10 year commitment there

dukelifer
Wow. What a shot.

It is their year. I don't see Wisconsin beating them. Will take a lot for them not to win it all.

Duke95
03-30-2014, 07:19 PM
4 big state schools in the FF.

Atlanta Duke
03-30-2014, 07:20 PM
You have to hand it to Kentucky. They turned on the jets at the right time.

Yep - anyone who bet UK at 33-1 at the start of the tournament to win it all is feeling good

Really invested in Wisconsin beating Kentucky - I will have a hard time watching Kentucky playing Florida or UConn in the national championship game

gurufrisbee
03-30-2014, 07:22 PM
I have now become the biggest Wisconsin fan I never imagined I ever would be.

Duke95
03-30-2014, 07:23 PM
Yep - anyone who bet UK at 33-1 at the start of the tournament to win it all is feeling good

Really invested in Wisconsin beating Kentucky - I will have a hard time watching Kentucky playing Florida or UConn in the national championship game

Yep, I have to agree wholeheartedly.

rsvman
03-30-2014, 07:26 PM
Ironic or not that the final margin was 3, given the no call on the offensive goaltending by Lee and the fact that they gave LeVert two points for his obvious 3-pointer?

Tripping William
03-30-2014, 07:27 PM
I have now become the biggest Wisconsin fan I never imagined I ever would be.

If it's any consolation, you're not alone.

PSurprise
03-30-2014, 07:28 PM
That guy with the Kentucky tattoo isn't looking so moronic this weekend.

Utley
03-30-2014, 07:29 PM
One of us did something to incur some really negative karma.

CoachJ10
03-30-2014, 07:34 PM
After seeing Randle just be a dominant presence inside...I can't wait for Mr. Okafor to suit up next season.

pfrduke
03-30-2014, 07:38 PM
If it is Kentucky, they will be a on a tremendous win streak going into the game against top teams including a 1, 2, 4, and 2 seed - including Wisconsin (who Florida couldn't beat). Florida will be on streak of beating a 9, 4, 11, and 7.

Well, more accurately, Florida will be on a streak of beating a 9, 4, 11, 7, and the 26 teams they played before that. Small difference.

gurufrisbee
If it's any consolation, you're not alone.

I don't doubt it.

All of the sudden I'm realizing that it's theoretically possible that some day a final four could be North Carolina, UConn, Kentucky, and a fourth disliked team. Though as I type it, I'm not sure who exactly that is. NC St? Florida cuz of Donovan? LVille cuz of Pitino? Maryland?

Gthoma2a
Yep, the "one-and-done model fails again." "Young kids lack leadership." "Teams need seniors to go deep into the tournament..." I say this to highlight that a lesser coach just got it done with one-and-done players that are playing their butts off. A young team that was HORRIBLE at times this season... MATURED during the season. Just to say, again, that it is about the mental readiness of the player for the tournament, not their age. Our guys weren't ready for that stage, for one reason or another. I don't like their school (or the Harrisons in general), but kudos to Kentucky's kids for their heart. Randle is a monster. That guy is ready for the next level.

Next year, if we start a bunch of freshmen. Don't fear it, embrace it. If we could get the best player at every position, and they were all freshmen, I would take it in a second. There will be a time where talent gets it, no matter how they make you scratch your head along the way.

hurleyfor3
03-30-2014, 07:40 PM
Didn't Michigan have a timeout left? The guy who caught it should've called timeout at midcourt with a second and change remaining.

pfrduke
03-30-2014, 07:42 PM
Yep, the "one-and-done model fails again." "Young kids lack leadership." "Teams need seniors to go deep into the tournament..." I say this to highlight that a lesser coach just got it done with one-and-done players that are playing their butts off. A young team... MATURED during the season. Just to say, again, that it is about the mental readiness of the player for the tournament, not their age. Our guys weren't ready for that stage, for one reason or another. I don't like their school (or the Harrisons in general), but kudos to Kentucky's kids for their heart. Randle is a monster. That guy is ready for the next level.

Making narratives out of a single elimination tournament is always a sketchy enterprise. If Wichita State's shot goes down at the end of the game, no one's talking about Kentucky's maturity or mental readiness, but about how Calipari's one and done model again failed to get the job done. That narrative would have been no more right than this one, but something about the tournament causes people to ascribe extra meaning to the results of a single game.

Agree with you on Randle though. He's real good.

MaxAMillion
03-30-2014, 07:46 PM
Yep, the "one-and-done model fails again." "Young kids lack leadership." "Teams need seniors to go deep into the tournament..." I say this to highlight that a lesser coach just got it done with one-and-done players that are playing their butts off. A young team that was HORRIBLE at times this season... MATURED during the season. Just to say, again, that it is about the mental readiness of the player for the tournament, not their age. Our guys weren't ready for that stage, for one reason or another. I don't like their school (or the Harrisons in general), but kudos to Kentucky's kids for their heart. Randle is a monster. That guy is ready for the next level.

Next year, if we start a bunch of freshmen. Don't fear it, embrace it. If we could get the best player at every position, and they were all freshmen, I would take it in a second. There will be a time where talent gets it, no matter how they make you scratch your head along the way.

And I will say again that the team lost 10 games this year. Clearly they had the talent to do better but inexperience and lack of leadership held them back. Calipari admitted as much during the season. Donovan said yesterday that he felt his team needed to go through the disappointment of losing in the tournament in order to make it to the final four. There has been one team and one coach in the last 20 years who has made this one and done model work and that is Calipari. I give him lots of credit for that fact. I don't think any other coach could do what Calipari has done because no one else has experience with constantly turning over their roster every year. I also give Calipari major credit for how the Harrison twins have played (that is the biggest difference in their team). UK looked lost a lot of the year mainly because their point guard play was so lousy. Once that turned around the team started winning.

Gthoma2a
03-30-2014, 07:49 PM
Making narratives out of a single elimination tournament is always a sketchy enterprise. If Wichita State's shot goes down at the end of the game, no one's talking about Kentucky's maturity or mental readiness, but about how Calipari's one and done model again failed to get the job done. That narrative would have been no more right than this one, but something about the tournament causes people to ascribe extra meaning to the results of a single game.

Agree with you on Randle though. He's real good.

I would argue that even the loss to Florida in the SEC is proof of maturity with the kids. They were nowhere close to Florida in their first two tries. They have 10 very good games in a row.