PDA

View Full Version : Grant Hill new member of College HOF

jv001
03-25-2014, 03:26 PM
According to ESPN, Grant Hill will be inducted into 2014 College Basketball Hall of Fame. Joining Grant as inductees in November, 2014 are: Shaq(LSU), Darrell Griffith(Louisville), Zelmo Beaty( Prarie View A&M/NAIA), coaches Gary Williams(Maryland) and Dale Brown(LSU). Howard Garfinkle founder of the 5 Star Basketball Camp will also be inducted. Congratulations to all and a very special Congratulations to Grant Hill. One of my all time favorite players. GoDuke!

cspan37421
03-25-2014, 04:00 PM
Well deserved! No better ambassador of Duke basketball - or Duke University - among players, past or present. Though Shane might nip at his heels a bit.

I hope Gary Williams sweats through his tie and grinds his teeth during his speech.

WV_Iron_Duke
03-25-2014, 04:01 PM
Since South Lakes High School is my local hs I got to see many of his home games. Sweet bball memories :) Since almost all the local teams used a zone against him, Grant's great baseline moves were not apparent until he came to Duke. On the break Grant was so unassuming that he would usually pass off to the open man, obviously of lesser talent, rather than just take it to the rack himself. Congratulations Grant! You are the best player to ever come out of N VA (Hubert Davis, Dennis Scott come to mind) and Reston's own :)

jv001
03-25-2014, 04:10 PM
Grant was not only a great basketball player, certainly in the top 5-10 to play for Duke University, but he was and is a gentleman. He represents Duke very well. GoDuke!

nyesq83
03-25-2014, 07:13 PM
Great ambassador for Duke, thankful for his producing the documentary about Coach Buehler.

Jarhead
03-26-2014, 10:21 AM
It's fantastic that Grant has been named to the College Hall of Fame, but to be honest, I thought he had already been inducted. Continuing with the honesty, Dick Groat was the man at the top for me, but Grant joined him, easily, during his Duke career. Nobody else is close, yet.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-27-2014, 02:24 PM
He was part of some of the best Duke teams I can remember, he has always been a fantastic ambassador for the university, and I am elated for him to receive this honor. I can think of no one that deserves it more.

Many congratulations to Mr. Hill.

jv001
03-27-2014, 05:18 PM
It's fantastic that Grant has been named to the College Hall of Fame, but to be honest, I thought he had already been inducted. Continuing with the honesty, Dick Groat was the man at the top for me, but Grant joined him, easily, during his Duke career. Nobody else is close, yet.

I wish I had been able to see Dick Groat play both basketball and baseball at Duke! I did see him play briefly for my St. Louis Cardinals. GoDuke!

Jarhead
03-27-2014, 11:02 PM
I wish I had been able to see Dick Groat play both basketball and baseball at Duke! I did see him play briefly for my St. Louis Cardinals. GoDuke!

I watched Dick play in both sports at Duke, and later with the Pirates and the Cards, but on TV only. Did you know that he is still active in the radio broadcast booth for the Pitt Panthers? He does the game analysis in support of the play by play guy. My opinion, he belongs in the MLB Hall of Fame.

As for Grant Hill, I was living in Northern Virginia, so I only saw him play on TV. My only contact with him was at the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta when my family and I were in a fast food place on Peachtree Street along with Grant's family. I was wearing a white Duke ball cap, and Grant signed it for me. It's well protected in the closet, but I expect to be sending it to DBR one of these days for an auction.

blazindw
03-27-2014, 11:08 PM
Grant Hill is one of only 3 people in this world that when I met him I was "star struck." The other two: Shane Battier (meeting him first day of high school) and Barack Obama. Grant is one of my favorite Duke players ever, one of my favorite Pistons ever and every time I've been privileged to meet him he has been nothing short of a class act.

Congrats to a player who honestly should have been in the College HOF a loooong time ago!

jv001
03-28-2014, 09:39 AM
I watched Dick play in both sports at Duke, and later with the Pirates and the Cards, but on TV only. Did you know that he is still active in the radio broadcast booth for the Pitt Panthers? He does the game analysis in support of the play by play guy. My opinion, he belongs in the MLB Hall of Fame.

As for Grant Hill, I was living in Northern Virginia, so I only saw him play on TV. My only contact with him was at the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta when my family and I were in a fast food place on Peachtree Street along with Grant's family. I was wearing a white Duke ball cap, and Grant signed it for me. It's well protected in the closet, but I expect to be sending it to DBR one of these days for an auction.

I did know that Dick Groat is the play by play guy for the Pitt Panthers. I think he was honored before a game or at half time of a game this year. I agree Mr. Groat deserves to be in the baseball HOF. As for Grant, he seems to be a great person. I've never met him in person but I've admired him over the years. Glad to see him get this honor. GoDuke!