PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to Duke, Luke Kennard!

Pages : [1] 2

mr. synellinden
03-24-2014, 07:50 PM
We're off and running for the Class of 2015. Welcome to the Duke family, Luke.

ChillinDuke
03-24-2014, 07:53 PM
Big.

- Chillin

1 24 90
03-24-2014, 07:54 PM
I'm listening to the stream and his dad is still speaking?

conmanlhughes
03-24-2014, 07:55 PM
His dad is still speaking. How do you know?

Troublemaker
03-24-2014, 07:57 PM
That stream is minutes behind. It's Duke.

Ky-Dukie
I was wondering the same thing. Thought maybe my feed was behind.

mr. synellinden
LINK (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24499393/breakdown-five-star-junior-luke-kennard-commits-to-duke)

Cameron
03-24-2014, 07:58 PM
Thanks for ruining the ending.

But I am too excited to care.

xinspiration
03-24-2014, 07:58 PM
Jeff Goodman said Luke decided about 7 min ago
https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN

Native
03-24-2014, 08:00 PM
Boom.

Great pick-up for us!

Greg_Newton
03-24-2014, 08:03 PM
Officially announced it just now.

mr. synellinden
03-24-2014, 08:03 PM
Tweets:

Tyus Jones ‏@Tyusjones06 · 3m
Luke Kennard welcome to the family #HereComesDuke

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN · 9m
Luke Kennard is headed to Duke. My favorite player in the Class of 2015. Can do it all.

mr. synellinden
03-24-2014, 08:07 PM
Watching one of his highlight videos (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24499393/breakdown-five-star-junior-luke-kennard-commits-to-duke), one thing that is very apparent is that he can finish well with both hands.

flyingdutchdevil
03-24-2014, 08:11 PM
Watching one of his highlight videos (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24499393/breakdown-five-star-junior-luke-kennard-commits-to-duke), one thing that is very apparent is that he can finish well with both hands.

I also noticed in the highlight videos that Luke doesn't miss. This guy shoots 100% from the floor. What a catch!

Ky-Dukie
03-24-2014, 08:12 PM
Welcome to Duke !! I hope to be able to go watch him next year in his senior year.

Troublemaker
03-24-2014, 08:13 PM

Yeah, his driving ability seems as impressive as his shooting to me. Might even translate better at the college level because his shot has a low release.

Dukehky
03-24-2014, 08:14 PM
What up Cool Hand Luke?!!!

Gonna snag up Jeter, then Stone, then we're gonna win a National Championship next year, then everyone is going to return, then we're going to start getting more great recruits, then we're going to repeat as National Champions.

Say it won't happen, I dare you.

eddiehaskell
03-24-2014, 08:15 PM
Jon Scheyer part II?????? I'll take 60% as good as Jon!

Duke76
03-24-2014, 08:19 PM
What up Cool Hand Luke?!!!

Gonna snag up Jeter, then Stone, then we're gonna win a National Championship next year, then everyone is going to return, then we're going to start getting more great recruits, then we're going to repeat as National Champions.

Say it won't happen, I dare you.

what would the odds be from Vegas on going undefeated two years in a row?

Bob Green
03-24-2014, 08:25 PM
what would the odds be from Vegas on going undefeated two years in a row?

Go ask Kentucky, aren't they 40-0?

Troublemaker
03-24-2014, 08:26 PM
Jon Scheyer part II?????? I'll take 60% as good as Jon!

Yeah, he seems like a left-handed Scheyer to me. I hate that it's such an easy comparison to make but if you input these three things into an all-knowing player comparison basketball computer...

(1) Reputation as a shooter, but is actually much more than that. Possesses court vision / IQ, driving ability.
(2) Can play PG
(3) Effectively shorter than listed height. Long neck and relatively short arms.

... it probably outputs Jon Scheyer. (Caveat: all youtube observations about Kennard.)

gumbomoop
03-24-2014, 08:28 PM

Thanks for posting this highlight video. It's apparent to me that he's amphibious near the rim.

Super amphibious, even. A couple of times, moreover, he showed a delicate combo of an extra split second in the air with a special spin off the glass. Very soft touch on his shot, both 3-bomb and off the glass. He exhibited the space-creating jab step repeatedly, a big plus with the low release.

I'm glad I didn't see this video a couple of weeks ago, and then learn he'd chosen UK or Mich or whatever.

CameronBornAndBred
03-24-2014, 08:29 PM
40-0ish.

Welcome Luke!

slower
03-24-2014, 08:30 PM
His shot and game look slightly Ginobili-esque. Looks to have a good handle and really nice passing skills. Impossible to tell, of course, but he looks more well-rounded than Murphy. Got a good feeling about him.

gwlaw99
03-24-2014, 08:30 PM
Very positive scouting report.looks like he can play point too.

www.landgrantholyland.com/2014/3/24/5542194/luke-kennard-college-choices-kentucky-duke-ohio-state-michigan

Dukehky
03-24-2014, 08:36 PM
Thanks for posting this highlight video. It's apparent to me that he's amphibious near the rim.

Super amphibious, even. A couple of times, moreover, he showed a delicate combo of an extra split second in the air with a special spin off the glass. Very soft touch on his shot, both 3-bomb and off the glass. He exhibited the space-creating jab step repeatedly, a big plus with the low release.

I'm glad I didn't see this video a couple of weeks ago, and then learn he'd chosen UK or Mich or whatever.

He is a very good quarterback and throws with his right hand, thus explaining his strong ability to finish with either hand.

OldSchool
03-24-2014, 08:37 PM
Yeah, he seems like a left-handed Scheyer to me. I hate that it's such an easy comparison to make

Why don't we have him grow a few inches and then we can compare him to Dunleavy.

eddiehaskell
03-24-2014, 08:38 PM
Just playing around, but maybe...

Kennard - PG
Greyson - SG
Rasheed - SF
Amile - PF
MP3 - C

Sounds interesting.

roywhite
03-24-2014, 08:39 PM

Yes, the old basketball question -- is he a shooter or a scorer?

This kid looks like both -- he has great range and accuracy from deep, and also finds a variety of ways to get to the hoop, where he finishes very well.

ricks68
03-24-2014, 08:42 PM
Who's this joker?

Only his second post. But then, you and I and only 2 others knew that before this post. He needs to read what he was supposed to have read about posting decorum before he posted. Evidently, he didn't do it.

Hey, Wojo guy, or whatever, listen to what you were told to do. Get it right, please, or no posting for you.:(

ricks

NashvilleDevil
03-24-2014, 08:42 PM
Wow. Applying the "future transfer" label within the first hour of the Welcome to Duke thread? This has to be the earliest time that's happened, right? Congratulations on having no soul.

Mods, please let the newbie's comment stand. We'll need it for evidence later.

They made their drive-by post and now they're back in their safe haven at a Kentucky or Ohio St site.

Duvall
03-24-2014, 08:43 PM
DN.

If Rodney Hood, Jabari Parker and Jahlil Okafor go pro by the 2015 draft, Duke would have only nine scholarships allocated for Kennard's freshman year *with* Kennard. Overrecruiting is not the issue here.

roywhite
03-24-2014, 08:47 PM
They made their drive-by post and now they're back in their safe haven at a Kentucky or Ohio St site.

Hate to say it, but based on where Luke lives, he'll probably be hearing from a lot of knuckleheads like this over the next year.

Fortunately, it appears like he has great family support and great support from his hometown.

Franklin’s Kennard a hot ticket (http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/sports/franklins-kennard-a-hot-ticket/ndQLM/)

Some may have already seen this article from last month; it's a good look from the Dayton paper at this small town star.

LobstersPinchPinch
03-24-2014, 08:48 PM
DN

That's a not uncommon critique of several coaches, including Cal, Self, and K. Whether it's true or not in general, in this particular case I think Luke will excel at Duke. If the scouting reports are accurate, he'll be able to play 3 positions and make an impact with his rebounding, passing, scoring and leadership (plays point and QB). I'm super excited to see him in action!

dmac2681
03-24-2014, 08:49 PM
He kind of reminds me of Baker from Wichita State. Similar handles but probably better driving ability. We'll see!

Duke76
03-24-2014, 08:51 PM
but I really do believe we have a great shot at it next year..I know after the season we've been through I'll get lambasted for it, but we have such promising mix of freshmen at four positions that really do look like prototypes at their position that it could be classic basketball team. true point guard, jones...I hope K gives him the ball day 1 and tells him its his team, he's done it before. Grayson Allen, you guys can laugh but he is a pure shooter with great hops, JJ like and with Winslow a power forward in the Battier/Singler mold and Okafor a true center and maybe the best center we've seen come to Duke as a freshman..just great distribution of size and talent that should complement each other so well....throw out what we've seen this year with freshmen inexperience, etc...this is gonna be an exception to the rule

I'd start those four and maybe rasheed but he'd have to practice the Nolan Smith runner tear drop in the lane all summer long to get the start...I am sorry but the dribble dribble, drive, get your shot blocked or turn the ball over is a thing of the past...all of course is just my opinion but it my honest one

OldPhiKap
03-24-2014, 08:51 PM
Welcome to the family, Luke!

UrinalCake
03-24-2014, 08:52 PM
Great pickup. From the reports and highlight videos he sounds like he fills a similar role as Grayson. Also, every time I see his name I think "Kenny Dennard."

CPDUKEGUY24
03-24-2014, 08:57 PM

Kennard - PG
Greyson - SG
Rasheed - SF
Amile - PF
MP3 - C

Sounds interesting.

Hmm...
I'd guess more like,

Jones - PG
Kennard - SG
Sulaimon - SF
Amile - PF
Plum-tree - C

That's if Suli doesn't blow up next year, and IF Matt Jones doesn't step up to become a reliable 2 guard. Among many other IF's is Tyus Jones sticking around after a year. I guess we could go on for a while; Semi?, recruits not committed yet?? All this to get to the point that a lot could change between now and then.

Anyway, welcome to Duke, Cool Hand Luke. I hope you enjoy your time!

Go Duke

CameronDuke
03-24-2014, 09:02 PM
Welcome to Duke, Luke! Please stay 4 years!

Go Duke!

roywhite
03-24-2014, 09:07 PM

Kennard - PG
Greyson - SG
Rasheed - SF
Amile - PF
MP3 - C

Sounds interesting.

Hmm...
I'd guess more like,

Jones - PG
Kennard - SG
Sulaimon - SF
Amile - PF
Plum-tree - C

That's if Suli doesn't blow up next year, and IF Matt Jones doesn't step up to become a reliable 2 guard. Among many other IF's is Tyus Jones sticking around after a year. I guess we could go on for a while, all to get to the point that a lot could change between now and then.

Go Duke

Not to get off-track here, but don't forget Justise Winslow at SF. He's got good size for the position, known especially for his rebounding, floor play, and defense. After a year like this, Coach K will put even more of a premium on defense.

Really like Kennard; saw some mention of Michigan's interest in him; Luke seems like the kind of guy Beilein would just love to have -- versatile and a good shooter. This is a major get to pluck this kid from that area of the country where Ohio State, Kentucky, and Michigan were all after him.

SoCalDukeFan
03-24-2014, 09:22 PM
I was busy and unable to hear the stream.

I assume and hope it was pretty classy.

Any comments.

SoCal

1 24 90
03-24-2014, 09:24 PM
Is this Duke's first recruit from Ohio (at least in the last few decades)? I can't think of any others.

CDu
03-24-2014, 09:24 PM
Glad we have one on board for 2015. Hopefully he is a good one. And hopefully he is just one of many more to come!

Welcome aboard, Mr. Kennard!

jv001
03-24-2014, 09:26 PM
Glad we have one on board for 2015. Hopefully he is a good one. And hopefully he is just one of many more to come!

Welcome aboard, Mr. Kennard!

One more hopefully, that he can play defense or that he can learn to play defense quickly. GoDuke!

Duvall
03-24-2014, 09:28 PM
Is this Duke's first recruit from Ohio (at least in the last few decades)? I can't think of any others.

In men's basketball? Not recently - the only one I see from the Krzyzewski era is Marty Nessley.

Kedsy
03-24-2014, 09:31 PM
but I really do believe we have a great shot at it next year..I know after the season we've been through I'll get lambasted for it, but we have such promising mix of freshmen at four positions that really do look like prototypes at their position that it could be classic basketball team. true point guard, jones...I hope K gives him the ball day 1 and tells him its his team, he's done it before. Grayson Allen, you guys can laugh but he is a pure shooter with great hops, JJ like and with Winslow a power forward in the Battier/Singler mold and Okafor a true center and maybe the best center we've seen come to Duke as a freshman..just great distribution of size and talent that should complement each other so well....throw out what we've seen this year with freshmen inexperience, etc...this is gonna be an exception to the rule

I'd start those four and maybe rasheed but he'd have to practice the Nolan Smith runner tear drop in the lane all summer long to get the start...I am sorry but the dribble dribble, drive, get your shot blocked or turn the ball over is a thing of the past...all of course is just my opinion but it my honest one

So, let me get this straight? You're going to start four freshmen, and maybe if Rasheed is very, very good you'll let him be the fifth starter? Do Quinn, Amile, Marshall, Matt, and Semi get to play at all? Hey, I just got an idea, maybe if Myles Turner comes to Duke we can start five freshmen. I think that's the perfect plan. Let's do it.

Look at the class of 2011. Why did Gbinje and Murphy transfer? and Sulaimon and Parker start this year? Why is Rodney Hood contemplating declaring for the NBA draft? and Andre Dawkins reduced to a role player in his final year of eligibility?

Hold the phone. Division I basketball teams get 13 scholarships and if Coach K has filled all 13 once in 30 years that's more than I think he has. Are you suggesting he should only recruit 5 players total? Or maybe 7 or 8, or whatever the exact amount of the rotation is? Or do you mean we can recruit more than 7 or 8, but the younger guys aren't allowed to be better than whoever got here first? Or maybe you simply mean we should always start the more experienced players no matter what? If a younger player earns a starting spot, it doesn't matter, he still shouldn't start? And if your best player happens to be a freshman and he plays a lot you call that "over recruiting"?

OK, now I understand your post.

CR9
03-24-2014, 09:36 PM
Not to get off-track here, but don't forget Justise Winslow at SF. He's got good size for the position, known especially for his rebounding, floor play, and defense. After a year like this, Coach K will put even more of a premium on defense.

Really like Kennard; saw some mention of Michigan's interest in him; Luke seems like the kind of guy Beilein would just love to have -- versatile and a good shooter. This is a major get to pluck this kid from that area of the country where Ohio State, Kentucky, and Michigan were all after him.

That and Semi will play some role here. He has to. But isn't Kennard bigger than Sheed? So he'd likely be the '3' in that 3-guard line-up?

Kedsy
03-24-2014, 09:37 PM
Yeah, he seems like a left-handed Scheyer to me.

I don't know. Obviously you can't tell that much from a highlight video, but he didn't remind me of Jon Scheyer at all. More like Kyle Korver, though with his unorthodox shooting stroke that's probably not a good comp either. But if you think Scheyer, that's fine with me. I've never been big into player comps anyway.

roywhite
03-24-2014, 09:41 PM
I don't know. Obviously you can't tell that much from a highlight video, but he didn't remind me of Jon Scheyer at all. More like Kyle Korver, though with his unorthodox shooting stroke that's probably not a good comp either. But if you think Scheyer, that's fine with me. I've never been big into player comps anyway.

Well, I'll throw this at you anyhow -- how about Kennard as a comp to Nik Stauskas? Similar size, great shooting range, can drive and score in a variety of ways, high basketball IQ.

After looking up some stats on Stauskas, that's not an easy standard to reach -- he's averaging over 17 points, hitting 45% from 3-pt range, and has a good number of assists. Still, I bet Beilein really wanted Kennard for his shooting and versatility.

1 24 90
03-24-2014, 09:43 PM
In men's basketball? Not recently - the only one I see from the Krzyzewski era is Marty Nessley.

Thanks for the info.
I couldn't recall any.

I may have to go watch him play during his senior season

dukelifer
03-24-2014, 09:44 PM

It is true that none of those Freshman have ever missed a shot or been burned by a defender in a Duke uniform. If they can keep it that way- we will be National Champions.

Duvall
03-24-2014, 09:50 PM
Yeah, he seems like a left-handed Scheyer to me.

He reminds me a bit more of a shorter, less explosive Rodney Hood.

(Not really. Just wanted to mix things up a bit.)

roywhite
03-24-2014, 09:51 PM

Going back further, there was Bob Fleischer from Youngstown -- pretty good player on some not very good teams from 1973 to 1975.

It's not a traditional recruiting area for Duke for sure with the B1G and Kentucky nearby.

CBecker
03-24-2014, 09:56 PM
He seems pretty athletic to me (more than Scheyer for sure), certainly great handles and good quickness. He can jump pretty well. I think he'll have no problems getting to the bucket at the college level.
Can't see the Korver comparison at all. Stauskus is probably a decent one.

lotusland
03-24-2014, 09:57 PM
He reminds me a bit more of a shorter, less explosive Rodney Hood.

(Not really. Just wanted to mix things up a bit.) Smaller, quicker, more closely shaven Zoubek

tfk53
03-24-2014, 09:58 PM
Very excited to have Luke join the Devils in 2015. In the brief clips that were posted, was quite impressed with some of the sharp passes, some of the no look variety. Seemed to be actively engaged with his teammates.
One must remember he is still 17 months away from entering college - with this decision behind him, he can concentrate on what Coach K and staff want him to work. Can not imagine that cranking up the defensive skills will not be part of that regimen. 17 months to get bigger and stronger. I'm excited to see what he does with this time. Looks to be a fine addition.

mr. synellinden
03-24-2014, 10:01 PM
Smaller, quicker, more closely shaven Zoubek

How about Thomas Hill - going with the lefty vibe?

DukieInKansas
03-24-2014, 10:06 PM
Welcome to Duke, Mr. Kennard.

I will apologize in advance for any time I might call you Denny Kennard. :D

Kishiznit
03-24-2014, 10:11 PM
Did LUKE mention 2 additional kids joining him (as reported on twitter)? Bring 'em.....

roywhite
03-24-2014, 10:11 PM
Welcome to Duke, Mr. Kennard.

I will apologize in advance for any time I might call you Denny Kennard. :D

Not to be confused with Greg Zoubek or was it Brian Koubek?

Newton_14
03-24-2014, 10:13 PM
Folks please apply some common sense and courtesy while posting in this thread. The intent of the thread after all is to "WELCOME KENNARD TO DUKE" Hello?

So welcome to Duke Luke Kennard! Like DukieinKansas there has to be some Dennard messups coming in the next 4 years or so... :)

mr. synellinden
03-24-2014, 10:19 PM
Justise and Jeter:

Chase Jeter ‏@chasejeter04 · 2h
Luke Duke

Justise Winslow ‏@Chief_Justise · 2h
“@chasejeter04: Luke Duke” YOU NEXT BRO. #WeWaiting

Chase Jeter‏@chasejeter04 · @Chief_Justise Haha only time will tell family.

johnb
03-24-2014, 10:20 PM
Now, admittedly, I began this thread having had a cocktail, but I kept seeing references to nonexistent comments. Were the assertions so egregious that adults couldn't be trusted to put them into perspective?

kAzE
03-24-2014, 10:24 PM
Welcome Luke, and congratulations on making a wonderful decision for your life and career!

I don't see the Scheyer comparison as much. Obviously, they are both incredible scorers, capable of getting hot and taking over a game, but the first thing that stands out to me is the athletic ability. Scheyer never had that level of strength and athleticism, let's be clear about that. This kid can cross a guy up and throw it down hard. Scheyer's game was more crafty and built on using fakes and subtle moves to get where he wanted because he wasn't the quickest or fastest guy on the floor, whereas Kennard seems to be a more straightforward offensive player right now. Lastly, (and nobody is giving enough credit to Scheyer here) Scheyer was a really, really solid defensive player, which Kennard will need to work on this next year and throughout his time at Duke.

Duvall
03-24-2014, 10:27 PM
Now, admittedly, I began this thread having had a cocktail, but I kept seeing references to nonexistent comments. Were the assertions so egregious that adults couldn't be trusted to put them into perspective?

Not really. But if you're going to troll I guess it helps to have tenure.

Troublemaker
03-24-2014, 10:30 PM

I know you don't want to push this, but Kyle Korver can't play point guard. I think if people watched more than just that one video of Kennard, they might start to see the Scheyer thing. Or I could be nuts.

Like I said, I really really didn't want to make the Scheyer comparison. Certain things forced me to. (Not race, as mentioned.)

kAzE
03-24-2014, 10:34 PM
I know you don't want to push this, but Kyle Korver can't play point guard. I think if people watched more than just that one video of Kennard, they might start to see the Scheyer thing. Or I could be nuts.

Like I said, I really really didn't want to make the Scheyer comparison. Certain things forced me to. (Not race, as mentioned.)

Korver was way bigger, and a better shooter probably, but definitely doesn't have the same type of handles as Kennard.

JPtheGame
03-24-2014, 10:38 PM
He kind of reminds me of Baker from Wichita State. Similar handles but probably better driving ability. We'll see!

Ok, can that be the last "white guy on a basketball team" comparative? I'd really like to switch gears before someone throws out the shorter version of mcdermott idea.
Slightly undersized wing with good handles, not afraid of contact and can finish with both hands? Why not Wayne Selden?
Quick, slightly unorthodox release, fearless in the lane, suspect defender but can score in bunches, streaky from deep, decent handles but not elite ball handler? Why not Austin Rivers?

moonpie23
03-24-2014, 10:40 PM
welcome to duke, mr kennard!!!!!!!!!

can't wait to see you wearing the uni!!!!!

Troublemaker
03-24-2014, 10:45 PM
Ok, can that be the last "white guy on a basketball team" comparative? I'd really like to switch gears before someone throws out the shorter version of mcdermott idea.
Slightly undersized wing with good handles, not afraid of contact and can finish with both hands? Why not Wayne Selden?
Quick, slightly unorthodox release, fearless in the lane, suspect defender but can score in bunches, streaky from deep, decent handles but not elite ball handler? Why not Austin Rivers?

Wayne Selden can't play PG, not as good a shooter, not as good a passer as Kennard.

Similarly, Luke's a better shooter and passer than Austin.

(I'm just giddy we got Luke. I'll stop with the comparison debates at some point.)

BlueDevilBrowns
03-24-2014, 10:48 PM

Wait... How about...

Larry Bird without the mustache?

Dirk Nowitski without the accent?

Detlef Schrimpf without the accent?

Toni Kukoc without the accent?

umm... Jason Williams without the tats(no, not our JWill - silly!)?

ohh... wait... Hedo Turkoglu without the accent?

Does that about cover it???

kAzE
03-24-2014, 10:51 PM
It's tough to compare recruits to former Duke players. Remember when everyone compared Alex Murphy to Kyle Singler? Admittedly, I was one of them, and based on his game tape, you could swear he was a carbon copy of Singler. But alas, we know how that turned out.

JPtheGame
03-24-2014, 10:54 PM
Wayne Selden can't play PG, not as good a shooter, not as good a passer as Kennard.

(I'm just giddy we got Luke. I'll stop with the comparison debates at some point.)

I love the comparisons. I just wish there was a little more...um...variety to the selections.

I love Luke's game and I grew up in that area so I know that dragging talent out of there is no small feat!
Having grown up near there, I will provide one word of caution. Franklin is a tiny school and plays in a tiny school conference. Bellbrook is tiny, clinton-massie is tiny, middletown is tiny. Basically those schools all play in what we called the farm leagues. They dont compete against the trotwood madisons (Adrien Payne), Centervilles (basically every ohio state football player) and cincy city league schools (St. X, Moeller, Elder, etc.) Again, I love Lukes game but there may be a little bit of a semi-like transition period.

JPtheGame
03-24-2014, 10:59 PM

Wayne Selden was recruited to play sg and pg...and he's 6'5

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2012/oct/15/shooting-guard-wayne-selden-commits-ku-basketball/

BD80

If they beat 34-0, you could say they are 35-0.

As for Luke comparisons, his lateral movement reminds me of Rod Laver.

JPtheGame
Wait... How about...

Larry Bird without the mustache?

Dirk Nowitski without the accent?

Detlef Schrimpf without the accent?

Toni Kukoc without the accent?

umm... Jason Williams without the tats(no, not our JWill - silly!)?

ohh... wait... Hedo Turkoglu without the accent?

Does that about cover it???

Shawn Bradley without the two year hiatus?

mr. synellinden
03-24-2014, 11:06 PM
I love the comparisons. I just wish there was a little more...um...variety to the selections.

I love Luke's game and I grew up in that area so I know that dragging talent out of there is no small feat!
Having grown up near there, I will provide one word of caution. Franklin is a tiny school and plays in a tiny school conference. Bellbrook is tiny, clinton-massie is tiny, middletown is tiny. Basically those schools all play in what we called the farm leagues. They dont compete against the trotwood madisons (Adrien Payne), Centervilles (basically every ohio state football player) and cincy city league schools (St. X, Moeller, Elder, etc.) Again, I love Lukes game but there may be a little bit of a semi-like transition period.

There's one scouting report (http://www.landgrantholyland.com/2014/3/24/5542194/luke-kennard-college-choices-kentucky-duke-ohio-state-michigan) I read today that mentions how well he played when he matched up against Justin Jackson - so at least there's evidence of him holding his own against high DI level competition.

BlueDevilBrowns
03-24-2014, 11:10 PM

Interesting... Rod Laver is in his 70's so I'd hope Luke moves a little faster than that.

BlueDevilBrowns
03-24-2014, 11:12 PM
Shawn Bradley without the two year hiatus?

Matt Christensen without the 6 year hiatus?

CBecker
03-24-2014, 11:18 PM

Yes he can. Lots of these elite prospects look like Point Guards in these highlight vids. I remember watching Selden's clips and being amazed at his passing ability and creativeness.

Henderson
03-24-2014, 11:19 PM

He does look like Laver, only taller. And he does look like Dennard, only shorter.

Maybe he was cloned from a cross between Rod Laver (http://resources1.news.com.au/images/2009/01/10/va1237349495620/Rod-Laver-6434419.jpg) and Kenny Dennard (http://acc.blogs.starnewsonline.com/files/2012/02/dennard.jpg). Can we call him Lennard?

I watched The Boys From Brazil last night.

JPtheGame
03-24-2014, 11:20 PM
Brian Zoubek without the creampuffs and shoe inserts.

check this:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6U_251Mxs4
That is a league game!

Kedsy
03-24-2014, 11:27 PM
Well, I'll throw this at you anyhow -- how about Kennard as a comp to Nik Stauskas? Similar size, great shooting range, can drive and score in a variety of ways, high basketball IQ.

After looking up some stats on Stauskas, that's not an easy standard to reach -- he's averaging over 17 points, hitting 45% from 3-pt range, and has a good number of assists. Still, I bet Beilein really wanted Kennard for his shooting and versatility.

Yeah, I thought about Stauskas too. I have no idea what level of ball they play in Ohio, but if I'm reading the stats right, Mr. Kennard is averaging 40 ppg in high school?

Troublemaker
03-24-2014, 11:28 PM
There's one scouting report (http://www.landgrantholyland.com/2014/3/24/5542194/luke-kennard-college-choices-kentucky-duke-ohio-state-michigan) I read today that mentions how well he played when he matched up against Justin Jackson - so at least there's evidence of him holding his own against high DI level competition.

Yeah, highlights of him playing UNC's Jackson (#44 in lavender): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2u0x4lfrS4

That was actually a rematch. First matchup from a year before: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-hXjBHTIOg

Henderson
03-24-2014, 11:28 PM
Oh, and I forgot: Welcome, Mr. Kennard. Looking forward to seeing you in a Duke uniform.

Cameron
03-24-2014, 11:33 PM

I like the Scheyer comparison. At 6-4, Luke is a tallish combo guard who has made his reputation as both a big-time scorer off the bounce and elite-level shooter with unlimited range. Like Jon, he's position-less on the perimeter, as comfortable catching and shooting on the wing as setting up the offense and directing traffic out top. The comparison has nothing to do with Luke being caucasian. I also see a lot of Daniel Ewing in the kid's game.

Note: Some people just enjoy being argumentative and hammering a point -- whether they have one or not -- home. But, just to boil their blood a little more, I also envision Luke as George Mikan with a jump shot.

Troublemaker
03-24-2014, 11:52 PM
I like the Scheyer comparison. At 6-4, Luke is a tallish combo guard who has made his reputation as both a big-time scorer off the bounce and elite-level shooter with unlimited range. Like Jon, he's position-less on the perimeter, as comfortable catching and shooting on the wing as setting up the offense and directing traffic out top. The comparison has nothing to do with Luke being caucasian. I also see a lot of Daniel Ewing in the kid's game.

Note: Some people just enjoy being argumentative and hammering a point -- whether they have one or not -- home. But, just to boil their blood a little more, I also envision Luke as George Mikan with a jump shot.

That's what I'm talking about, brother!

Yeah, highlights of him playing UNC's Jackson (#44 in lavender): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2u0x4lfrS4

That was actually a rematch. First matchup from a year before: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-hXjBHTIOg

Additionally, if you like seeing Duke commits play well against UNC commits... Justise partakes in sonning UNC's Jackson in some parts of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKu6EoR1pFY

Steven43
03-25-2014, 12:06 AM
Ok, can that be the last "white guy on a basketball team" comparative? Slightly undersized wing with good handles, not afraid of contact and can finish with both hands? Quick, slightly unorthodox release, fearless in the lane, suspect defender but can score in bunches, streaky from deep, decent handles?Okay, you asked for it. Drumroll, please…….…………………Marcus Paige. Whaddya think?

hurleyfor3
03-25-2014, 12:18 AM
Not to be confused with Greg Zoubek or was it Brian Koubek?

The guy who played in five Final Fours? Greg Zoubek (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?31129-2013-14-Expectations&p=644851#post644851).

hurleyfor3
03-25-2014, 12:22 AM

Stop that, you're giving them ideas.

CALVET
03-25-2014, 01:21 AM

Much better athlete than Scheyer but same feel for the game and maybe comparable build.

J4Kop99
03-25-2014, 01:40 AM
His release is a mixture of manu, melchionni, and marcus paige. As for his ability to play PG, don't base that off of a 2 min highlight video or some clip of one of his high school games. Most of the time, these high level prospects are head and shoulders above their competition.

Only time will tell what role he will play.

Someone earlier compared his lateral quickness to that of Rod Laver. I'm not sure if that was a joke or not but as long as Kennard has the passion of Jimmy Connors, we should be good to go.

CBecker
03-25-2014, 03:30 AM
His release is a mixture of manu, melchionni, and marcus paige. As for his ability to play PG, don't base that off of a 2 min highlight video or some clip of one of his high school games. Most of the time, these high level prospects are head and shoulders above their competition.

Only time will tell what role he will play.

Yeah his release reminded me of Manu to be honest. Maybe a little quicker and lower. Hey, if you're left handed, can shoot, white, athletic and creative. Why not be compared to Manu overall? :D *not being totally serious*

Troublemaker
03-25-2014, 09:51 AM
As for his ability to play PG, don't base that off of a 2 min highlight video or some clip of one of his high school games. Most of the time, these high level prospects are head and shoulders above their competition.

Well, he IS the PG on his high school team. I get that he's not playing great competition but I don't know where one draws the line with that reasoning... I mean, Tyus Jones isn't playing great competition in high school, either, but no one doubts that he's a PG. Obviously, since Kennard has shooting guard size and can really shoot the ball well, many are projecting him as a SG. But I don't think the suggestion that he "can play PG" should be all that controversial.

Kedsy
03-25-2014, 10:01 AM
Well, he IS the PG on his high school team.

He averaged 41 ppg and 4apg this season. If he was the PG, he called his own number a lot.

CDu
03-25-2014, 10:06 AM
He averaged 41 ppg and 4apg this season. If he was the PG, he called his own number a lot.

High school games are 8 minutes shorter than a college game. So that equates to a rate of 5 apg at the college level. That assist rate would put him second in the conference in assists. So while it's true that he is a score-first PG, it doesn't seem to have prevented him from getting a decent number of assists.

And remember: he's one of the top-20 players in his class. It's very likely that "calling his own number a lot" is the thing that gives his team the best chance to win.

roywhite
03-25-2014, 10:23 AM
High school games are 8 minutes shorter than a college game. So that equates to a rate of 5 apg at the college level. That assist rate would put him second in the conference in assists. So while it's true that he is a score-first PG, it doesn't seem to have prevented him from getting a decent number of assists.

And remember: he's one of the top-20 players in his class. It's very likely that "calling his own number a lot" is the thing that gives his team the best chance to win.

Yeah, from reading some info, it seems Luke is a better ballhandler/passer than many outside shooters (JJ and Andre Dawkins, for example, were not known for their ball handling and passing as prospects)
Player of the year in Ohio is a pretty good honor; seems like a good get for the program, and we'll have another year to learn more about his game and see some video.

flyingdutchdevil
03-25-2014, 10:25 AM

High school stats and college stats aren't apples-to-apples. Quinn Cook averaged 10.9 apg in his senior year at Oak Hill. According to your stats, that would equate to 13.6 apg, which we know that Quinn isn't even close to.

On the other hand, if everyone is comparing Kennard to Scheyer, Scheyer averaged 5 apg in his senior year, which should equate to 6 apg in college. During Scheyer's senior year in college, he averaged 5 apg, which is close enough.

My take: Kennard, like Scheyer, is leaps and bounds better than 99.9% of high schoolers he faces. His expected value in shooting is probably higher than passing to a teammate under the rim. I don't like highlight films, but I see Kennard as a shoot-first, pass-second player (like Scheyer in his first 3 years). As long as Kennard is semi-effective on D, I say put him on the court!

Kfanarmy
03-25-2014, 10:40 AM
It's tough to compare recruits to former Duke players. Remember when everyone compared Alex Murphy to Kyle Singler? Admittedly, I was one of them, and based on his game tape, you could swear he was a carbon copy of Singler. But alas, we know how that turned out.

Great observation. I've wondered whether, if they had arrived in reverse order, would we be talking about how great Murphy was and how Kyle's talent just wasn't what he thought it was...

gumbomoop
03-25-2014, 10:49 AM
Unless one of our resident recruiting experts says otherwise, I'm assuming the staff is not recruiting a PG in the 2015 class. Not many 2015 PGs in even the top 50, and either Duke is not listed among their choices, or a couple have already decided.

I further assume the staff hopes Tyus stays for his Soph year [2015-16]. But in case not, and in case Rasheed leaves after his Jr year, Luke might well be the PG as soon as he arrives. Even if Tyus is still around - 50-50 right now? - Luke can provide backup PG minutes. His handle is impressive. So is Rasheed's, much of the time. But Luke's looks smoother and steadier to me, especially in traffic.

I'm perfectly aware that the competition in the ACC will test his handle, but if his handle is a bit better by Nov 2015, he'll pass the test.

I recall a few posters who have insisted that we shouldn't undervalue Grayson's all-around game. I look forward to seeing Grayson and Luke playing together, I hope and expect for at least two years.

flyingdutchdevil
03-25-2014, 10:56 AM
Unless one of our resident experts says otherwise, I'm assuming the staff is not recruiting a PG in the 2015 class. Not many 2015 PGs in even the top 50, and either Duke is not listed among their choices, or a couple have already decided.

I further assume the staff hopes Tyus stays for his Soph year [2015-16]. But in case not, and in case Rasheed leaves after his Jr year, Luke might well be the PG as soon as he arrives. Even if Tyus is still around - 50-50 right now? - Luke can provide backup PG minutes. His handle is impressive. So is Rasheed's, much of the time. But Luke's looks smoother and steadier to me, especially in traffic.

I'm perfectly aware that the competition in the ACC will test his handle, but if his handle is a bit better by Nov 2015, he'll pass the test.

I recall a few posters who have insisted that we shouldn't undervalue Grayson's all-around game. I look forward to seeing Grayson and Luke playing together, I hope and expect for at least two years.

Interesting. I'm under the impression that Tyus is indeed a 2-year guard. He may be the most talented NCAA PG next year, but he a) needs to prove that he can play at a high level and b) needs to both pass and score. I'd be surprised if Tyus goes after his first year, but let's say the odds are 25% that he leaves.

For Sulaimon, it's an interesting question. Of the returning players, I think Quinn probably took the loss the Mercer the hardest. He's the only returning player to see us lose twice in the first rounds of the NCAA tournament, he played a great game but it just wasn't enough, and he's the emotional leader of the team. After Quinn? I think it's Sulaimon. He is also very emotional. I honestly see great things from these two players. And not because we expect them to get better, but because they have massive chips on their shoulder. I could see Sulaimon coming out and averaging 16ppg. He is a 3pt threat and if he finishes better, there is little to stop him. So, I'd say the chances of Sulaimon leaving are around 33%.

For both players to leave, that would mean (25% * 33%) = 8%. It's a low number, which makes me believe that the coaching staff isn't really worried about both Sulaimon and Tyus leaving early.

roywhite
03-25-2014, 10:59 AM
Unless one of our resident recruiting experts says otherwise, I'm assuming the staff is not recruiting a PG in the 2015 class. Not many 2015 PGs in even the top 50, and either Duke is not listed among their choices, or a couple have already decided.

Yes, I think your assumptions are correct, or at least in synch with some of the recruiting commentary I've read. Not looking for a PG in the 2015 class, do want one in the 2016 class and in contact with some prospects. Hope to add Chase Jeter for the 2015 class, and perhaps one more big man. Have had a lot of contact with Matt Ryan, a 6'7" wing shooter in the 2015 class, but no offer to date, and the addition of Kennard may affect Duke's direction there. Coach K has FIBA obligations for the summer, and the hope is to finish 2015 recruiting before the summer.

Hard to say about Tyus Jones, and how long he may play in college, but it sounds like the backup plan for a 2015-16 season without him includes combo guys like Grayson and Kennard.

gumbomoop
03-25-2014, 11:19 AM
Interesting. I'm under the impression that Tyus is indeed a 2-year guard. He may be the most talented NCAA PG next year, but he a) needs to prove that he can play at a high level and b) needs to both pass and score. I'd be surprised if Tyus goes after his first year, but let's say the odds are 25% that he leaves.

For Sulaimon, it's an interesting question. Of the returning players, I think Quinn probably took the loss the Mercer the hardest. He's the only returning player to see us lose twice in the first rounds of the NCAA tournament, he played a great game but it just wasn't enough, and he's the emotional leader of the team. After Quinn? I think it's Sulaimon. He is also very emotional. I honestly see great things from these two players. And not because we expect them to get better, but because they have massive chips on their shoulder. I could see Sulaimon coming out and averaging 16ppg. He is a 3pt threat and if he finishes better, there is little to stop him. So, I'd say the chances of Sulaimon leaving are around 33%.

For both players to leave, that would mean (25% * 33%) = 8%. It's a low number, which makes me believe that the coaching staff isn't really worried about both Sulaimon and Tyus leaving early.

I don't really expect both Tyus and Rasheed to depart after next season, either. Still, I'll repeat my opinion that Luke's handle is smoother and steadier than Rasheed's. I acknowledge that I've seen Luke only in a highlight video, against competition way inferior to what he'll face 18 months hence. If both Tyus and Rasheed are at Duke for 2015-16, I speculate that Luke will get some backup PG minutes.

An obviously related point - though thread-highjack is a danger here - concerns Rasheed's handle. IMO, it's alternately impressive and wanting. I hope he'll spend lots of time improving - becoming Kennard-like [......] steady - this summer. With a strong, steady, consistent handle, he can become a superior player.

flyingdutchdevil
03-25-2014, 11:26 AM
I don't really expect both Tyus and Rasheed to depart after next season, either. Still, I'll repeat my opinion that Luke's handle is smoother and steadier than Rasheed's. I acknowledge that I've seen Luke only in a highlight video, against competition way inferior to what he'll face 18 months hence. If both Tyus and Rasheed are at Duke for 2015-16, I speculate that Luke will get some backup PG minutes.

An obviously related point - though thread-highjack is a danger here - concerns Rasheed's handle. IMO, it's alternately impressive and wanting. I hope he'll spend lots of time improving - becoming Kennard-like [......] steady - this summer. With a strong, steady, consistent handle, he can become a superior player.

Let's hope that Sulaimon makes a Nolan Smith-like jump this year. In his junior year, Nolan had a much better handle to go along with an okay 3pt and amazing mid-range shot. Sulaimon is already a much better shooter as well as bigger than Nolan, but he needs to work on his handle, his finishing, and his defense.

slower
03-25-2014, 11:33 AM
Great observation. I've wondered whether, if they had arrived in reverse order, would we be talking about how great Murphy was and how Kyle's talent just wasn't what he thought it was...

You're joking, I hope. Singler was a stone-cold warrior, first and foremost. He was also a consensus Top 5/6/7, much higher than Murphy. Kyle may not have had the Senior season we all wanted/expected, but he will always (in MY mind, at least) be the greatest warrior I've ever seen suit up for Duke.

rocketeli
03-25-2014, 01:00 PM

They can't answer-they're too busy preparing for their sweet sixteen game.
(FYI I hate KY but glass houses and all that...

DukieinSoCal
03-25-2014, 01:08 PM
I really like the fact that he plays QB for his high school team as well. From the few highlight clips that have been posted, Luke seems to have good vision and timing. He really threads the needle on some of his passes and they arrive right on time, something that playing QB probably helps. He also seems to have a calm toughness about him, much like Kyle did. I can't help but think that playing football also helps some of these kids develop a mental and physical toughness that serves them well on the hardwood. Really looking forward to Luke suiting up for Duke, just wish it was sooner!

roywhite
03-25-2014, 01:20 PM
I really like the fact that he plays QB for his high school team as well. From the few highlight clips that have been posted, Luke seems to have good vision and timing. He really threads the needle on some of his passes and they arrive right on time, something that playing QB probably helps. He also seems to have a calm toughness about him, much like Kyle did. I can't help but think that playing football also helps some of these kids develop a mental and physical toughness that serves them well on the hardwood. Really looking forward to Luke suiting up for Duke, just wish it was sooner!

Agree on the football being a plus; in general, I think young athletes are choosing to specialize too early, but that could be a long discussion.

For Luke, he was/is an excellent High School Quarterback who reportedly had a football scholarship offer from Louisville; one article indicated that he hadn't decided yet about playing football for his senior year.

CameronBornAndBred
03-25-2014, 01:28 PM
I really like the fact that he plays QB for his high school team as well.

Agree on the football being a plus; in general, I think young athletes are choosing to specialize too early, but that could be a long discussion.

For Luke, he was/is an excellent High School Quarterback who reportedly had a football scholarship offer from Louisville; one article indicated that he hadn't decided yet about playing football for his senior year.
Sweet, so he's Greg Paulus! ;)

FerryFor50
03-25-2014, 01:34 PM
Sweet, so he's Greg Paulus! ;)

Well, a Greg Paulus that can drive and dunk.

captmojo
03-25-2014, 02:23 PM
I'm sure that, as you can clearly see here, you are very welcome to your choice of higher education choice, Mr. Kennard.

You now have the chance to be the next Mickey Mantle, Andy Griffith and Godzilla, all rolled into one, only different. :D
You can become the fourth of July, Christmas and St Swivens, too.
Win championships till perpetuity.
Heal little children.
I need to stop now. ;)

DukieInKansas
03-25-2014, 02:27 PM
I'm sure that, as you can clearly see here, you are very welcome to your choice of higher education choice, Mr. Kennard.

You now have the chance to be the next Mickey Mantle, Andy Griffith and Godzilla, all rolled into one, only different. :D
You can become the fourth of July, Christmas and St Swivens, too.
Win championships till perpetuity.
Heal little children.
I need to stop now. ;)

This prompts one question for Mr. Kennard - do you celebrate your birthday on Festivus?

roywhite
03-25-2014, 03:23 PM
Here's a scouting report on Luke from an Ohio State site that manages to include a swipe at Duke:

For a player that is arguably the best in Ohio, regardless of class, there aren't too many weaknesses to Kennard's game. As the junior combo-guard was the primary scorer for Franklin all season long, Kennard showed his many talents offensively. However, as we have seen with Duke's shocking loss to Mercer, and Kansas' early exit to Stanford, offense isn't the only thing that matters.

Overall, it's a very favorable report, esp. on his shooting and ball handling.

Luke Kennard commits to Duke over Kentucky, Ohio State (http://www.landgrantholyland.com/2014/3/24/5542194/luke-kennard-college-choices-kentucky-duke-ohio-state-michigan)

FerryFor50
03-25-2014, 03:30 PM
Here's a scouting report on Luke from an Ohio State site that manages to include a swipe at Duke:

Overall, it's a very favorable report, esp. on his shooting and ball handling.

Luke Kennard commits to Duke over Kentucky, Ohio State (http://www.landgrantholyland.com/2014/3/24/5542194/luke-kennard-college-choices-kentucky-duke-ohio-state-michigan)

1. They're right about offense not being the only thing that matters
2. They forgot to mention Ohio State and how "defense isn't the only thing that matters"

devildeac
03-25-2014, 03:54 PM

Game. Set. Match. BD80 hits the winner.;)

Kfanarmy
03-25-2014, 05:07 PM
You're joking, I hope. Singler was a stone-cold warrior, first and foremost. He was also a consensus Top 5/6/7, much higher than Murphy. Kyle may not have had the Senior season we all wanted/expected, but he will always (in MY mind, at least) be the greatest warrior I've ever seen suit up for Duke.

Not exactly joking, but my point was not to make a direct comparison either. To be more clear, circumstances impact whether a player gets on the court early in his career or not, which makes all the difference for some. If however, Kevin Durant was playing PF for Duke in 2007, where would Singler fit in Duke Lore. On the other hand, if RH doesn't transfer in, and K used Murphy this season, we may have found out he was everything advertised. My post wasn't about the players so much as how much circumstances ultimately impact their utility to the team, and perception about how "good" they are. Gbinje seems to be fitting it pretty well at Cuse; Murphy may surprise some folks at UF by the time all is said and done. and yes Kyle was steel.

1 24 90
03-25-2014, 05:21 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=awpg29PkUw4

Quick clip of the announcement from Scarberry Media

JNort
03-25-2014, 06:52 PM
Hmm...
I'd guess more like,

Jones - PG
Kennard - SG
Sulaimon - SF
Amile - PF
Plum-tree - C

That's if Suli doesn't blow up next year, and IF Matt Jones doesn't step up to become a reliable 2 guard. Among many other IF's is Tyus Jones sticking around after a year. I guess we could go on for a while; Semi?, recruits not committed yet?? All this to get to the point that a lot could change between now and then.

Go Duke
I'd say at that time Grayson would be ahead of Kennard. Either way though I think Rasheed starts at the 2 while one of our SFs is at the 3

roywhite
03-25-2014, 08:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=awpg29PkUw4

Thanks; was that his mom on his right? Sorry for being so shallow, but she's in the Sonya Curry neighborhood :)

Troublemaker
03-25-2014, 08:52 PM

Thanks. A couple loud boos in there when he first announced for Duke, but then mostly polite applause afterwards.

Cameron
03-25-2014, 09:15 PM
There was a lot of talk just a month ago, when UK looked like it may land him, that Kennard was a strong candidate to reclassify to 2014-15. Even though nothing of this sort was mentioned during the announcement, is there any chance of this still potentially happening?

My guess is no, but I am so stoked for the kid's arrival that I wanted to ask.

Note: It's possible that I confusing Kennard with Charles Matthews on this, but I do remember the possibility arising several times.

Troublemaker
03-25-2014, 09:22 PM
Yeah it was Charles Matthews that was rumored to be reclassifying -- but he's not, either.

Cameron
03-25-2014, 09:26 PM
Ah. Thanks. Damn. My ADD getting the best of me again. A year and half is a long wait.

Troublemaker
03-25-2014, 09:32 PM
Indeed. We'll still have some players to launch some three-bombs for you next season, Cameron.

Tyus Jones seems to have deep range to me, and he'll get a lot of minutes, whether starting or off the bench.

jb75
03-25-2014, 10:38 PM
for the old timers, Luke's video reminds me of Jack Marin.

Henderson
03-25-2014, 10:40 PM
Somewhere in Lexington there is a dark mind thinking, "He hasn't signed a Letter of Intent yet. I'm going to keep him -- and his parents -- on my speed dial."

LobstersPinchPinch
03-25-2014, 10:41 PM
Indeed. We'll still have some players to launch some three-bombs for you next season, Cameron.

Tyus Jones seems to have deep range to me, and he'll get a lot of minutes, whether starting or off the bench.

I don't think his shooting is as highly regarded as his handle and passing. But I'll wager any amount he's starting from day 1.

LobstersPinchPinch
03-25-2014, 10:43 PM
Somewhere in Lexington there is a dark mind thinking, "He hasn't signed a Letter of Intent yet. I'm going to keep him -- and his parents -- on my speed dial."

Ha, and I'm called a pessimist?! Nah, he sounds solid. Much to Devin Booker's relief.

El_Diablo
03-25-2014, 11:06 PM
Thanks; was that his mom on his right? Sorry for being so shallow, but she's in the Sonya Curry neighborhood :)

That's his sister. If she comes to any games, I am sure Brent Musburger would be a fan.

TruBlu
03-26-2014, 05:45 AM
That's his sister. If she comes to any games, I am sure Brent Musburger would be a fan.

If she wants to go to any game in Cameron, I will have an extra ticket. (Apologies to my son who normally sits next to me, but there are priorities in life.):cool:

CameronBornAndBred
03-26-2014, 09:31 AM
Ah. Thanks. Damn. My ADD getting the best of me again. A year and half is a long wait.
It is, but we have a loaded class coming in as it is. Add another and I would be starting to check for transfer news. Although, as I type that, I started thinking "would coming in early be such a bad thing if you redshirted?" That could be a delicious scenario. Either way we have to wait a year and a half, but by the time Kennard (or whoever the scenario fits) plays, they have a season of Duke practice under their belt.
In a way, that is what happened with both Murphy and MP3, but neither of those two came in knowing they would not see the court in their first season, which could affect a player psychologically. I don't think Marshall was let down by it, but I am not so sure about Alex.
So if we get a player that can graduate and come in early, which would you rather see? That guy playing a season full of games in HS, or a season on our bench and in practice every day? Toss up for me, but I do like the idea of him involved in our system for a year. Works well for most of the football freshmen. :D

DukeFanSince1990
03-26-2014, 10:57 AM
I have just started to watch highlights it looks like left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. He is amphibious.

gumbomoop
03-26-2014, 12:09 PM
He is a very good quarterback and throws with his right hand, thus explaining his strong ability to finish with either hand.

On amphibious, this earlier post from Dukehky tells us a lot. A lot.

mr. synellinden
04-27-2014, 10:54 AM
Apparently Luke is playing well at EYBL.
https://twitter.com/evandaniels/status/460210261601693696

Gargoyle
10-30-2014, 08:40 AM
Here is an evaluation of Kennard from OTRHoopsReport along with a highlight tape.

http://ontheradarhoops.com/otrhoopsreport-prospect-eval-luke-kennard-october-29-2014/

flyingdutchdevil
10-30-2014, 09:28 AM
Here is an evaluation of Kennard from OTRHoopsReport along with a highlight tape.

http://ontheradarhoops.com/otrhoopsreport-prospect-eval-luke-kennard-october-29-2014/

I love watching high school highlights. They are so, incredibly meaningless. Kennard is good, but out there he looks like Lebron: driving at will, shooting effectively, taking contact. Most of his competition are <180 pounds and <6'1". Kennard is clearly a man amongst boys out there.

That said, I am really intrigued by Kennard. The dude can clearly shoot, and I love his get-to-the-rim mentality. Should be an interesting player to follow next year.

duke4life32182
10-30-2014, 09:45 AM
Those weren't boo's, they were Luke's.

Ichabod Drain
10-30-2014, 09:50 AM
I love watching high school highlights. They are so, incredibly meaningless. Kennard is good, but out there he looks like Lebron: driving at will, shooting effectively, taking contact. Most of his competition are <180 pounds and <6'1". Kennard is clearly a man amongst boys out there.

That said, I am really intrigued by Kennard. The dude can clearly shoot, and I love his get-to-the-rim mentality. Should be an interesting player to follow next year.

Actually I looked up their roster, all those kids are 6'6"+ and at least 210. Luke is just a monster. ;)

yancem
10-30-2014, 01:20 PM

So did he actually take (and make) 20+ free throws that game or did they just show a handful over and over again? I think that he is going to be a solid player for Duke but I'm not sure about the level of competition in that video. They guys guarding him seemed to all be 2-4 inches shorter and none seemed to have very good defensive postures.

El_Diablo
10-30-2014, 01:58 PM
So did he actually take (and make) 20+ free throws that game or did they just show a handful over and over again? I think that he is going to be a solid player for Duke but I'm not sure about the level of competition in that video. They guys guarding him seemed to all be 2-4 inches shorter and none seemed to have very good defensive postures.

The YouTube video description says he set a school record for made free throws, going 22 for 24.

flyingdutchdevil
10-30-2014, 02:48 PM
The YouTube video description says he set a school record for made free throws, going 22 for 24.

Hack-A-Luke doesn't work so well, huh?

subzero02
10-30-2014, 05:12 PM
I counted 5 and ones... He does a good job of keeping his head up when driving to the hoop.

Kdogg
12-27-2014, 10:46 AM
I saw Kennard again the year at the Beach Ball Classic last night. Last year be broke Kobe Bryant's scoring record and this year he over took Mike Bibby's all time record for the tournament. He's any impressive scorer.

roywhite
12-30-2014, 09:26 PM
Kennard Shoots Franklin into Championship Game (http://www.beachballclassic.com/kennard-shoots-franklin-into-championship-game/)

Luke Kennard posted another great scoring game at the Beach Ball Classic to shoot Franklin (OH) into the Championship Game with a 77-53 semifinal victory over Hough (NC) at the Myrtle Beach Convention Center....

Kennard ended the game with 39 points on 11-of-17 shooting from the field, including 8-of-12 from behind the 3-point arc, and a perfect 9-of-9 from the free throw line. Kennard, who has signed to play at Duke University, has now scored 130 points in his first three games in the 2014 BBC. That total breaks the four-game scoring record of 119 which was set by Nick Emery of Lone Peak (UT) in the 2011 Beach Ball Classic.

***Additional note -- Franklin, OH may face Bishop Gorman from Las Vegas in the finals. Duke signee Chase Jeter had 15 points and 12 rebounds in a 78-60 win over Shadow Mtn, AZ in the quarter-finals.

Franklin would be at a serious size dis-advantage against a Bishop Gorman team that features not only Jeter, but 6'11" Stephen Zimmerman, who had 17 points and 10 rebounds in the quarter-finals.

Henderson
12-30-2014, 09:36 PM
Kennard Shoots Franklin into Championship Game (http://www.beachballclassic.com/kennard-shoots-franklin-into-championship-game/)

Wow, thanks for the link. Those numbers are pretty impressive. I like the FT numbers, because quality of opponent is almost not a factor. And this guy can shoot.

Anyone know good this Hough (NC) team was? Or more generally what quality of defense he's been facing while putting up gaudy numbers in so many games?

roywhite
12-30-2014, 09:54 PM
Wow, thanks for the link. Those numbers are pretty impressive. I like the FT numbers, because quality of opponent is almost not a factor. And this guy can shoot.

Anyone know good this Hough (NC) team was? Or more generally what quality of defense he's been facing while putting up gaudy numbers in so many games?

Pretty good team from Cornelius, NC that was 10-2 coming in to this game; they feature UNC signee Luke Maye, who had 18 points and 15 rebounds against Franklin.

Boxscore; Franklin 77, Hough 53 (http://beachballclassic.com/Portals/0/stats/stats2014/boys/game22.htm)

Franklin had some shooting help for Luke, and ended up 16-30 from 3-points as a team!

roywhite
12-30-2014, 11:24 PM

***Additional note -- Franklin, OH may face Bishop Gorman from Las Vegas in the finals. Duke signee Chase Jeter had 15 points and 12 rebounds in a 78-60 win over Shadow Mtn, AZ in the quarter-finals.

Franklin would be at a serious size dis-advantage against a Bishop Gorman team that features not only Jeter, but 6'11" Stephen Zimmerman, who had 17 points and 10 rebounds in the quarter-finals.

Update: We'll get the championship game matchup between teams led by Duke recruits as Bishop Gorman shot 61.5% from the field and beat Sagemont, FL in the other semi-final.

Bishop Gorman 64, Sagemont, FL 49 (http://beachballclassic.com/Portals/0/stats/stats2014/boys/game23.htm)

Henderson
12-31-2014, 12:46 PM
Update: We'll get the championship game matchup between teams led by Duke recruits as Bishop Gorman shot 61.5% from the field and beat Sagemont, FL in the other semi-final.

Bishop Gorman 64, Sagemont, FL 49 (http://beachballclassic.com/Portals/0/stats/stats2014/boys/game23.htm)

BG is a serious team with a high ranking and several future high level D1 recruits. I'm going to be seriously interested in how Luke Kennard plays. Chase Jeter is a known commodity starting against top talent. Let's see how our Luke fares against a team like Gorman. It might answer some questions about his incredible numbers. Unlike his int'l experience, he'll be the man for his Franklin team against BG.

JohnJ
12-31-2014, 01:19 PM
If anyone is interested, there is a live webcast of the game at 7:30pm ET this evening. Here is the link:

http://www.beachballclassic.com/schedule/beach-ball-classic/

JMarley50
12-31-2014, 04:05 PM
After watching their first two games online, I decided to go see our guys in person last night. I came away very impressed with Luke. He can flat out shoot! His handle is well above average, he rebounds well and he is Redick-like at the charity stripe! There were times in the 2nd half where Hough was essentially running two and three guys at him every time he touched the ball. I thought he handled the pressure fairly well, and it led to a lot of open threes for his teammates.

I wasn't as impressed with Chase. I'm not sure if he has been a little under the weather or something, but I feel like he hasn't really been aggressive on offense in this tournament. I suppose it could also be a case of playing down to the level of the opponent. Bishop Gorman is by far the biggest, deepest, and most athletic team in the tournament. Last night's game against Sagemont was a snoozer. Sagemont ran a 2-3 zone most of the night and it was fairly effective. Gorman's guards did not do a good job of attacking the zone and making it move, but still I felt like Chase and Stephen Zimmerman both did a poor job of working to establish position and get open looks.

gurufrisbee
12-31-2014, 08:16 PM
The game is on right now and just went to half. Fun to see those guys with a little Duke preview for next year.

roywhite
12-31-2014, 09:01 PM
BG is a serious team with a high ranking and several future high level D1 recruits. I'm going to be seriously interested in how Luke Kennard plays. Chase Jeter is a known commodity starting against top talent. Let's see how our Luke fares against a team like Gorman. It might answer some questions about his incredible numbers. Unlike his int'l experience, he'll be the man for his Franklin team against BG.

Yeah, a mismatch, unfortunately for Franklin, which trails by 30+ late in the game.

BG has waaaay too much size for Franklin, and they've tailored their defense to contain Kennard. Luke has not shot well, and has 17 points near game end.

18 points and 12 boards for Chase Jeter.

Update: BG 71 Franklin 39 Final

gumbomoop
12-31-2014, 09:16 PM
I'm not disappointed in Luke's performance tonight. Total mismatch between the teams, but Luke's first-rate handle, stutter and quick crossover change of direction, fluidity, vision, court sense, soft touch still evident. He converted 10 of 11 FTs, all swishes. Three first-half no-look passes to open teammates, but no conversions, IIRC. He can and I suspect will play some at all 3 perimeter positions for Duke, I hope, but doubt, for 3 years.

Apologies if I'm boring any of you with this praise. Just to make sure you're fully offended, I repeat a comment I've made previously: I don't believe there are 20 2015 HS seniors better than LK. Actually, I doubt there are 10.

Happy New Year. We're gold.

FireOgilvie
12-31-2014, 09:19 PM
Yeah, a mismatch, unfortunately for Franklin, which trails by 30+ late in the game.

BG has waaaay too much size for Franklin, and they've tailored their defense to contain Kennard. Luke has not shot well, and has 17 points near game end.

18 points and 12 boards for Chase Jeter.

Update: BG 71 Franklin 39 Final

Kennard finished with 17 pts, 3-8 fg (1-4 3pt), 10-11 ft, with 9 rebounds. The commentator mentioned that his friend, a former UNC player for Dean Smith, called Kennard "the greatest shooter he's seen," which was pretty cool. I hadn't seen Kennard play a full game until now, but I was definitely impressed despite his "off" game tonight. He reminds me a lot of Scheyer.

Bishop Gorman is more like a college team than HS with its size and talent. Jeter is a very good athlete, but I can't really judge much else about his game when he's going up against guys 8 inches shorter than him.

FireOgilvie
12-31-2014, 09:28 PM
I'm not disappointed in Luke's performance tonight. Total mismatch between the teams, but Luke's first-rate handle, stutter and quick crossover change of direction, fluidity, vision, court sense, soft touch still evident. He converted 10 of 11 FTs, all swishes. Three first-half no-look passes to open teammates, but no conversions, IIRC. He can and I suspect will play some at all 3 perimeter positions for Duke, I hope, but doubt, for 3 years.

Apologies if I'm boring any of you with this praise. Just to make sure you're fully offended, I repeat a comment I've made previously: I don't believe there are 20 2015 HS seniors better than LK. Actually, I doubt there are 10.

Happy New Year. We're gold.

Agreed. He's definitely in my top 5 of "players most likely to have an immediate impact in college." Most of the guys on ESPN's list (he's #26) are ranked ahead of him due to potential/athleticism.

I need a catchier name for my list.

gumbomoop
12-31-2014, 09:40 PM

Diaper Dandies is taken.

Bluegrassdevil1
12-31-2014, 10:41 PM
I fully admit to knowing little more about Kennard other than my Dayton OSU friends being very, very, very disappointed that he will not be a Buckeye; however, the ones that have seen him in person perceive his offense prowess to be spectacular.

My brother often travels to Nevada for work purposes, and has caught Jeter in person three or four times. His option (Florida grad that dislikes Duke) is that Jeter's fluidity and size paired with Okafor and T. Jones would make Duke disgustingly good, but paired with Obi's post game, though not as great as Okafor's, will free up Jeter to roam a little more than he can currently in high school, and coupled with his stellar hook/finesse game, will lead to Jeter being very tough for college kids to defend for forty minutes.

I view next seasons' current line-up as follows:

T. Jones - Ideal point guard. Can score, but lets the game come to him.

Kennard - Similar to freshmen Redick with Duhon, but Kennard appears to be able to generate his own shot better than young Redick.

Jeter - Jon Henson with better instincts. I never thought that the title game demolition by '90 UNLV would have another positive result beyond the '91 rematch, but young Mr. Jeter is just that.

Jefferson - A senior leader that understands his strengths and weaknesses.

Sulaimon - I'll suspect that year four Rasheed would be desirable to any college team.

Plumlee 3 - Much like Jefferson, knows his role, does it well.

M. Jones - He may never be the scorer everyone hoped for, but he is a fine defender, and more importantly, he has a great attitude in-game.

Allen - He is fine as he is, and I suspect year two will be better than the current version.

Robinson - Walk-on with great work ethic/genes, so I will take that without any hesitation.

Obi - Following Okafor is impossible, but I saw Rice a few times last year, and I have no problem with a kid like Obi manning the middle.

UNNAMED RECRUIT - I suspect that one more big time player is coming to Duke, and I think this UNNAMED INDIVIDUAL will fit in quite well.

gumbomoop
01-01-2015, 01:19 PM
Incidentally, I'm in Myrtle Beach this week and the local commentators are going nuts over Kennard. The local Beach Ball tourney has included Kobe, G Hill and many, many other superstars. The local guys have seen HS talent and to hear the raves about Kennard is exciting news.

Imported from post-Wofford thread, as it concerns Luke.

Having myself gone close-to-overboard in praise of LK, I'm happy to hear of this enthusiastic report from guys who've seen him up close. I've only seen him a few times on TV, including his subpar-for-him, but still impressive, performance last night (streamed rather than TV).

I was hoping we'd see him on this winter's ESPN HS selective coverage, but I think his team just isn't good enough to merit national coverage. I expect we'll see him in several All-Star games in spring.

Clay Feet POF
01-01-2015, 01:58 PM

How about Five on Fire

JPtheGame
01-17-2015, 12:30 AM
luke went for 55 tonight. He made 12 3s in the game.4645
Heres a terrible pic of him praying for whoever was about to guard him.

subzero02
01-17-2015, 01:14 AM
luke went for 55 tonight. He made 12 3s in the game.4645
Heres a terrible pic of him praying for whoever was about to guard him.

Now that was funny...

Of course he scored 55, that blue squad he went up against was full of undersized girls in skirts.

I can't wait to see this kid in a Duke uniform.

JPtheGame
01-18-2015, 01:35 AM

More greatness from Luke.

devildeac
01-18-2015, 07:43 AM

34/40 FT? WTH? Further evidence Duke gets all the calls. Opposing schools must hate him already. :o

gumbomoop
01-18-2015, 12:55 PM

I'll be disappointed if Luke Kennard shoots a mere 85% from the FT-line in his 2-3 years at Duke. I think he may already be my favorite player ever ..........

Lemme think about it.

gumbomoop
01-20-2015, 11:50 AM
Well, Luke Kennard isn't a PG either, right? Not even on his high school team? If Tyus doesn't come back (which I hope he will, but you never know), I don't think anything Duke-point-guard related can be characterized as "surely" going to happen, especially when talking about someone who has played exactly zero college games at this point.

Importing this from Pitt post-thread, as it's about LK.

You and I have an ongoing mini-debate on this subject. On the mini-iest of points, you're right that almost nothing is a "sure thing" beyond that Tyus will be the PG if he returns. But you might allow me a colloquial "surely," in the sense that I and many others agree with Saratoga's description of Rasheed's apparent PG-deficiencies; so that, "surely," most will concede that Rasheed doesn't appear a good candidate belatedly to develop vision, court sense, dependable handle, teammate-involvement.

As to LK, he may not officially be the PG on his HS team, but he has triple the actual PG skills of his team's PG. As you state, he's not yet played in college, but we make judgments/predictions regularly about future players based on HS skill-level. I have seen LK several times, and am very impressed with his handle, court sense, vision, teammate-involvement. We at least have testimony from other, much closer, observers as to his multi-talents. Most important - though maybe it was just a throwaway line - K has stated that Luke "can play point guard."

You're right that if Tyus departs, it is not literally a "sure thing" that Luke will be the 30+ mpg PG. It is "surely" possible that my - and others' - assessment of his PG skills is overwrought. And I grant that in my particular case it may be closer to a "sure thing" that my fulsome praise of Luke borders on, well, the fulsome, and therefore the untrustworthy.

Still, and "surely," we can almost agree that, in Tyus's absence, none of Rasheed, Grayson, and Matt has so far inspired much confidence as the new PG. In that problematic scenario, my metaphorical money is with Luke. More sensible, I accept, to remain agnostic; but I am a true believer.

Kedsy
01-20-2015, 12:08 PM
Still, and "surely," we can almost agree that, in Tyus's absence, none of Rasheed, Grayson, and Matt has so far inspired much confidence as the new PG. In that problematic scenario, my metaphorical money is with Luke. More sensible, I accept, to remain agnostic; but I am a true believer.

Yes, I can agree that, after Tyus, none of the candidates (and I include Luke here, despite your evangelism) seem especially well fit to be the lead guard at Duke. My guess at this point is that if Tyus leaves, we'll just play a bunch of wings with no PG, similar to 2012 (Austin Rivers and Seth Curry started, along with either Andre Dawkins or Tyler Thornton, but none of them really played PG; freshman Quinn Cook started 4 games and played PG when he was in, but was clearly the fifth perimeter player). In other words, absent Tyus, we'll have four or five perimeter players, but none of them will be "30+ mpg PGs."

gumbomoop
01-20-2015, 12:34 PM
Yes, I can agree that, after Tyus, none of the candidates (and I include Luke here, despite your evangelism) seem especially well fit to be the lead guard at Duke. My guess at this point is that if Tyus leaves, we'll just play a bunch of wings with no PG, similar to 2012 (Austin Rivers and Seth Curry started, along with either Andre Dawkins or Tyler Thornton, but none of them really played PG; freshman Quinn Cook started 4 games and played PG when he was in, but was clearly the fifth perimeter player). In other words, absent Tyus, we'll have four or five perimeter players, but none of them will be "30+ mpg PGs."

Yes, this makes sense. And on a closely related issue that we've also discussed somewhere, if by chance both Tyus and Justise leave, wow, with Semi's departure, Duke would be down to 4 players for 3 perimeter spots. I suppose K might go big with 3 interior players at times, with Chase sort of on a wing. Too many scenarios to ponder this early.

jv001
01-20-2015, 12:49 PM

You and I have an ongoing mini-debate on this subject. On the mini-iest of points, you're right that almost nothing is a "sure thing" beyond that Tyus will be the PG if he returns. But you might allow me a colloquial "surely," in the sense that I and many others agree with Saratoga's description of Rasheed's apparent PG-deficiencies; so that, "surely," most will concede that Rasheed doesn't appear a good candidate belatedly to develop vision, court sense, dependable handle, teammate-involvement.

As to LK, he may not officially be the PG on his HS team, but he has triple the actual PG skills of his team's PG. As you state, he's not yet played in college, but we make judgments/predictions regularly about future players based on HS skill-level. I have seen LK several times, and am very impressed with his handle, court sense, vision, teammate-involvement. We at least have testimony from other, much closer, observers as to his multi-talents. Most important - though maybe it was just a throwaway line - K has stated that Luke "can play point guard."

You're right that if Tyus departs, it is not literally a "sure thing" that Luke will be the 30+ mpg PG. It is "surely" possible that my - and others' - assessment of his PG skills is overwrought. And I grant that in my particular case it may be closer to a "sure thing" that my fulsome praise of Luke borders on, well, the fulsome, and therefore the untrustworthy.

And that my friend is the main thing! :cool: GoDuke!

Kedsy
01-20-2015, 12:58 PM
Yes, this makes sense. And on a closely related issue that we've also discussed somewhere, if by chance both Tyus and Justise leave, wow, with Semi's departure, Duke would be down to 4 players for 3 perimeter spots. I suppose K might go big with 3 interior players at times, with Chase sort of on a wing. Too many scenarios to ponder this early.

Well, if your hypothetical occurs, we'll only have 8 recruited scholarship players, period. Maybe in that case, Mr. Robinson decides not to redshirt, or Coach K finds a Spring Recruit or two. As you say, way early for this sort of speculation.

mattman91
01-20-2015, 01:34 PM
Well, if your hypothetical occurs, we'll only have 8 recruited scholarship players, period. Maybe in that case, Mr. Robinson decides not to redshirt, or Coach K finds a Spring Recruit or two. As you say, way early for this sort of speculation.

Am I the only one who thinks this is a real possibility?

Saratoga2
01-20-2015, 02:06 PM

I watched Chase play in a HS game (top level) yesterday and was impressed by his mobility and he does look like he is between 6'9" and 6'10". Good inside candidate but he is not developed to the point where he can contribute in anything like a starring role his first year. He is going to need time to develop. Amile will certainly be captain next year and MP3 will be available but hasn't shown enough to be a starting center. I personally think Justise will return as his play, while good at times could use another year at least. He is an NBA athlete but he really needs to refine his shooting as he is likely to be seen as a shooting guard.

gam7
01-20-2015, 02:50 PM
Am I the only one who thinks this is a real possibility?

No, you're not. We are still in play for two five stars, I believe - Ingram and Swanigan.

mattman91
01-20-2015, 03:25 PM
No, you're not. We are still in play for two five stars, I believe - Ingram and Swanigan.

I know of Ingram and Swanigan, I was actually meaning lower ranked recruits that we may snag for depth if we do not get commitments from any other top 25 recruits. I should have been more specific. As long as they fit K and Duke's standards, I could see them offering a McClure/Thornton type player or two. It is kind of hard to compete at the highest level with 8 scholarship players. Maybe I'm worrying a little too much about it.

Back to Luke, I have not seen him play yet other than the all-telling Ballislife Youtube highlight videos, but he seems like a player we will all really enjoy watching compete. I know the level of competition he plays against is probably a lot like what Semi played against, so there is a chance it takes him a while to adjust to the speed of the game at this level. If that is the case, you can go ahead and completely rule him out of the potential PG speculations.

mr. synellinden
01-20-2015, 03:40 PM
He is going to need time to develop. Amile will certainly be captain next year and MP3 will be available but hasn't shown enough to be a starting center. I personally think Justise will return as his play, while good at times could use another year at least. He is an NBA athlete but he really needs to refine his shooting as he is likely to be seen as a shooting guard.

Unless Plumlee makes a Carrawell/Zoubek-like senior year leap, I expect Obi to be our starting center next year. And I think he will be very good. I also expect Justise to leave even though he has had a few subpar games recently. He's going to be a lottery pick this year (how high remains to be seen), and maybe 1 out of 50 guys are going to turn that down. It didn't work out so well for JMM at UNC (although it did work pretty well for Blake Griffin).

I expect our starting frontcourt to be Jefferson, Obi and Jeter (perhaps Jones at SF or possibly one of the other recruits, Swanigan more likely as a starter than Ingram). And I think Tyus will stay and our backcourt rotation will be Jones and Sulaimon or Jones, with Kennard and Allen competing with Sulaimon/Jones for the bulk of the off the bench minutes.

Kedsy
01-20-2015, 03:58 PM
I was actually meaning lower ranked recruits that we may snag for depth if we do not get commitments from any other top 25 recruits.

This would surprise me. For one thing, we already have Justin Robinson, who's planning to redshirt but if an emergency arose could probably provide depth as a freshman. For another, it's pretty unlikely that a high-character, (low) top 100 recruit (like McClure or Thornton) is just sitting out there in April waiting for a Duke offer. We've had years in the past with only 8 scholarship players, and I suspect we'd survive if it happens again.

CDu
01-20-2015, 04:49 PM
This would surprise me. For one thing, we already have Justin Robinson, who's planning to redshirt but if an emergency arose could probably provide depth as a freshman. For another, it's pretty unlikely that a high-character, (low) top 100 recruit (like McClure or Thornton) is just sitting out there in April waiting for a Duke offer. We've had years in the past with only 8 scholarship players, and I suspect we'd survive if it happens again.

I agree. With Obi, Plumlee, Jeter, and Jefferson, our frontcourt appears set. With Matt Jones and Kennard, we would seem set at SF. And with Sulaimon and Allen, we would appear set at SG. The one glaring question would be at PG. As of now, if Tyus Jones departs, I would suspect Sulaimon would lead a "PG by committee", with Allen, Matt Jones, and Kennard chipping in. But we don't appear to have a PG on next year's team without Tyus Jones, and we don't appear to be seriously targeting any in this year's class.

jv001
01-20-2015, 04:53 PM
I agree. With Obi, Plumlee, Jeter, and Jefferson, our frontcourt appears set. With Matt Jones and Kennard, we would seem set at SF. And with Sulaimon and Allen, we would appear set at SG. The one glaring question would be at PG. As of now, if Tyus Jones departs, I would suspect Sulaimon would lead a "PG by committee", with Allen, Matt Jones, and Kennard chipping in. But we don't appear to have a PG on next year's team without Tyus Jones, and we don't appear to be seriously targeting any in this year's class.

Here's hoping Coach K knows something we don't. Even if Tyus has spoken to Coach about the situation, a kid can and does change their minds. GoDuke!

mattman91
01-20-2015, 05:22 PM

What about Charvon Julien? He appears on this list (http://duke.scout.com/topic/players?type=players&start=0&category=%22Basketball%20Recruiting%22&classYear=%222015%22&team=%22Duke%22&minimumInterest=%22Low%22) on scout.com under 2015 prospects. I'm not sure if Scout lists by player's interest in a school, or mutual interest between the school and player. Maybe he is interested in Duke, but has not been recruited by us. If that were the case, I would expect hundreds of names to pop up on the list. Maybe one of the DBR recruiting Gurus can chime in.

gumbomoop
01-20-2015, 05:25 PM
The one glaring question would be at PG. As of now, if Tyus Jones departs, I would suspect Sulaimon would lead a "PG by committee", with Allen, Matt Jones, and Kennard chipping in. But we don't appear to have a PG on next year's team without Tyus Jones, and we don't appear to be seriously targeting any in this year's class.

How to explain this fact?

1. CDu's hypothesis of Sulaimon-led "PG by committee." Saratoga2 and I [from post-Pitt thread] are skeptical that Rasheed will ever play much PG, lacking consistent handle, teammate-involvement focus, court vision.
2. Kedsy's related hypothesis of no PG, backcourt full of wings. Not sure how closely related, as not sure of Kedsy's current assessment of relative merits of PG skills among Sulaimon, Jones, Allen, Kennard.
3. My view that, quoting K, LK "can play point guard." I've stated what I see as Luke's PG skills above in this thread, post #154. I am convinced, or have convinced myself [what's the difference?] that the simple explanation of the fact that K is recruiting no PG in class of 2016 is that he thinks Tyus might stay, and if not, Luke Kennard is a solid Plan B and the likely PG, or at least the leader of PG by committee.

Allow me to add that I am laughing with CDu, and at me, when I read CDu's list in tag quote, Kennard listed last. I'm nearly certain CDu will either correct me, protesting that Kennard's being listed last wasn't a nifty jab at me; or that CDu will say, "Yep, that was a friendly jab at your over-optimism re LK."

MartyClark
01-20-2015, 05:29 PM

I've seen Luke Kennard, in person, a grand total of one time. I look forward to his matriculation at Duke. I think he'll be a good player. I'm pretty confident saying that he will not be an effective point guard as a freshman. With time and circumstance, it is possible that he could be an unconventional, Jon Scheyer type point guard.
This is not a knock on Kennard but I don't think he has the quickness or handle to be a Duke point guard.

Scheyer was the ultimate PG outlier. He had crazy skills that weren't measured in the usual manner.

Go Duke. Go Luke Kennard.

bbosbbos
01-20-2015, 05:58 PM
Is there any possible PG transfer similar to Ennis of Syracuse? :rolleyes:

mattman91
01-20-2015, 06:00 PM
Is there any possible PG transfer similar to Ennis of Syracuse? :rolleyes:

I still have 4 years of eligibilty. Just sayin...

Kedsy
01-20-2015, 06:44 PM
I am convinced, or have convinced myself [what's the difference?] that the simple explanation of the fact that K is recruiting no PG in class of 2016 is that he thinks Tyus might stay, and if not, Luke Kennard is a solid Plan B and the likely PG, or at least the leader of PG by committee.

There is logic in the idea that since K hasn't recruited a 2015 PG, he expects Tyus to stay. I agree with this part of your statement, although it's also possible he expected Tyus to stay but if Tyus has changed or might change his mind it's too late to get a decent PG at this juncture.

Where I think there might be a hole in your logic is your leap after, "and if not." One offhand comment by K about Luke's ability to play lead guard isn't close to enough for me to believe that freshman Luke Kennard is the Plan B.

My guess is the Plan B has always been Rasheed -- although even if I'm right about that, we have no way of knowing whether Coach K now agrees with your assessment of Rasheed's PG abilities and has abandoned that Plan B, but again can't do much about it because it's too late to recruit a 2015 PG.

I think the picture is too muddled to see anything clearly at this point. Which is why my best guess is either Tyus or if he's gone, a committee of wings with no clear leader.

P.S.: I assume you meant "2015" when you said, "K is recruiting no PG in class of 2016." My understanding is we are recruiting at least two PGs in the high school class of 2016.

gumbomoop
01-20-2015, 08:31 PM
I don't think he has the quickness or handle to be a Duke point guard.

This surprises me, as I think he has an excellent handle. Most relevant to the mini-debate going on here, I think his handle [and other PG skills] is superior to that of Rasheed, Matt, and Grayson. I've been wrong before, more than once.

I think the picture is too muddled to see anything clearly at this point. Which is why my best guess is either Tyus or if he's gone, a committee of wings with no clear leader.

P.S.: I assume you meant "2015" when you said, "K is recruiting no PG in class of 2016." My understanding is we are recruiting at least two PGs in the high school class of 2016.

You're right, too muddled, if Tyus leaves. No muddle at all if he stays. And despite my penchant for responding to any doubts about Luke's PG possibilities, the committee of wing/2s for a departed Tyus seems likely. I'll try to content myself with the thought that we'll all be pleased with Luke's PG-like contributions, whether he's up top or out on a wing.

Yes, I definitely meant 2015.

mattman91
01-20-2015, 08:37 PM
This surprises me, as I think he has an excellent handle. Most relevant to the mini-debate going on here, I think his handle [and other PG skills] is superior to that of Rasheed, Matt, and Grayson. I've been wrong before, more than once.

You're right, too muddled, if Tyus leaves. No muddle at all if he stays. And despite my penchant for responding to any doubts about Luke's PG possibilities, the committee of wing/2s for a departed Tyus seems likely. I'll try to content myself with the thought that we'll all be pleased with Luke's PG-like contributions, whether he's up top or out on a wing.

Yes, I definitely meant 2015.

Not comparing him to Scheyer, but we saw what we can do without a true point guard in 2010. My concern with Kennard as a PG (at least for next year) is that he won't be adjusted to the speed of the game, which is especially crucial for a PG.

OldPhiKap
01-20-2015, 08:41 PM
PG by committee never seems to be a planned strategy -- it's what you have to do to cope. No idea what K has in store, but I assume there is a guy in his mind if Ty goes.

And I do not think Sulu is slated in that role.

CDu
01-20-2015, 10:41 PM
What about Charvon Julien? He appears on this list (http://duke.scout.com/topic/players?type=players&start=0&category=%22Basketball%20Recruiting%22&classYear=%222015%22&team=%22Duke%22&minimumInterest=%22Low%22) on scout.com under 2015 prospects. I'm not sure if Scout lists by player's interest in a school, or mutual interest between the school and player. Maybe he is interested in Duke, but has not been recruited by us. If that were the case, I would expect hundreds of names to pop up on the list. Maybe one of the DBR recruiting Gurus can chime in.

I won't speculate on whether or not we are actually recruiting Julien (he isn't linked to us on some other sites). But he does not appear to be in the caliber of PG who would play right away even if we did sign him.

How to explain this fact?

1. CDu's hypothesis of Sulaimon-led "PG by committee." Saratoga2 and I [from post-Pitt thread] are skeptical that Rasheed will ever play much PG, lacking consistent handle, teammate-involvement focus, court vision.
2. Kedsy's related hypothesis of no PG, backcourt full of wings. Not sure how closely related, as not sure of Kedsy's current assessment of relative merits of PG skills among Sulaimon, Jones, Allen, Kennard.
3. My view that, quoting K, LK "can play point guard." I've stated what I see as Luke's PG skills above in this thread, post #154. I am convinced, or have convinced myself [what's the difference?] that the simple explanation of the fact that K is recruiting no PG in class of 2016 is that he thinks Tyus might stay, and if not, Luke Kennard is a solid Plan B and the likely PG, or at least the leader of PG by committee.

Allow me to add that I am laughing with CDu, and at me, when I read CDu's list in tag quote, Kennard listed last. I'm nearly certain CDu will either correct me, protesting that Kennard's being listed last wasn't a nifty jab at me; or that CDu will say, "Yep, that was a friendly jab at your over-optimism re LK."

First, let me say with complete honesty that the order was not meaningful, so it was not intended as a jab. I have no reason to believe Kennard is any less capable at PG than Allen or Jones. He may be more capable. I was just listing them with no order in mind.

Also, I would like to add to your list the possibility that Coach K thinks Jones may stay two years and is gambling that this is the case so as not to recruit in front of the hot gets for the 2016 class.

gumbomoop
01-21-2015, 12:49 AM
I would like to add to your list the possibility that Coach K thinks Jones may stay two years and is gambling that this is the case so as not to recruit in front of the hot gets for the 2016 class.

Yes, I neglected this, maybe because as highly rated as Tyus was, it does strike me that this was a bit of a gamble. Maybe we should factor into this gamble that the staff has for awhile been much more enthusiastic about 2016's Smith and Thornton than about any 2015 PGs. So, extending your own point about these 2 talented PGs, not only would K not want to recruit in front of them, but there's no 2015 PG anywhere near talented enough to make it worth doing so.

And then back to a point Kedsy made earlier:

My guess is the Plan B has always been Rasheed -- although even if I'm right about that, we have no way of knowing whether Coach K now agrees with your assessment of Rasheed's PG abilities and has abandoned that Plan B, but again can't do much about it because it's too late to recruit a 2015 PG.

I myself have only gradually become pretty skeptical about Rasheed as a PG. At one point I'd have bet he'd play some PG at Duke, and that might still happen. He had such an impressive freshman season. Then slumped some, and now this season, exciting off bench, but as a potential PG, his play is pretty frenetic, the opposite of calming, court-organizing.

The 2015-16 PG issue isn't top priority right now. If Tyus stays, there is no issue. I'm hoping Tyus decides it's in his interest to stay a second year, to play with a bunch of talented wings.

BD80
01-21-2015, 07:38 AM
What about Jahlil staying another year and running the point?

5 assists in the last game alone.

Maybe he wants a chance to spend another year at Duke to expand his game.

I'm just sayin'

jv001
01-21-2015, 07:46 AM
I myself have only gradually become pretty skeptical about Rasheed as a PG. At one point I'd have bet he'd play some PG at Duke, and that might still happen. He had such an impressive freshman season. Then slumped some, and now this season, exciting off bench, but as a potential PG, his play is pretty frenetic, the opposite of calming, court-organizing.
The 2015-16 PG issue isn't top priority right now. If Tyus stays, there is no issue. I'm hoping Tyus decides it's in his interest to stay a second year, to play with a bunch of talented wings.

Like you, up until this season, I thought Rasheed would play point guard in his junior and senior year. But now I have doubts as this will be the case next season. I try not to be too critical of Rasheed because he was used as the point guard when the season began. But this was with the 2nd unit. He had MPIII, Grayson, Semi and Matt as his partners on that unit. I'm not counting the few games that Matt played with the starting unit. In any regard, Rasheed was asked to be the point guard on that unit and I believe that's where he began to create bad habits of driving with his head down, throwing up some shots that didn't have a prayer of going in. Rasheed has the ability to be a decent point guard, but he needs to play under control. I think if one of the coaches sat him down and showed him the clips/dvr of the 2010 team's point guard(Coach Jon) I believe that might help him. The reason he get's out of control is because he get's in a hurry. I don't think he's a lost cause because he's a talented player. GoDuke!

OldPhiKap
01-21-2015, 07:48 AM

I'm just sayin'

Wojo would be proud.

Ichabod Drain
01-21-2015, 09:14 AM
Yes, I neglected this, maybe because as highly rated as Tyus was, it does strike me that this was a bit of a gamble. Maybe we should factor into this gamble that the staff has for awhile been much more enthusiastic about 2016's Smith and Thornton than about any 2015 PGs. So, extending your own point about these 2 talented PGs, not only would K not want to recruit in front of them, but there's no 2015 PG anywhere near talented enough to make it worth doing so.

And then back to a point Kedsy made earlier:

For the record I believe Derryck Thornton has discussed reclassifying. He said the other day he's 70% sure he'll stay in 2016 but there's a small possibility. I think it mainly came about because Pitino flat out asked him to reclassify. I don't know if that means that if he reclassified he would definitely go to Louisville or not but I'm sure K has discussed it with him.

ETA: Thornton said he will be attending the Duke/UNC game in Cameron next month as well.

Bob Green
01-21-2015, 06:32 PM

The big unknown is what direction Sulaimon is being given by the coaching staff. Perhaps his frenetic play is a result of being directed to push the tempo and attack the opponent's defense. I don't have a clue; however, I haven't seen Coach K give him the hook and the bench as a result of said frenetic play.

Des Esseintes
01-22-2015, 02:02 AM
Like you, up until this season, I thought Rasheed would play point guard in his junior and senior year. But now I have doubts as this will be the case next season. I try not to be too critical of Rasheed because he was used as the point guard when the season began. But this was with the 2nd unit. He had MPIII, Grayson, Semi and Matt as his partners on that unit. I'm not counting the few games that Matt played with the starting unit. In any regard, Rasheed was asked to be the point guard on that unit and I believe that's where he began to create bad habits of driving with his head down, throwing up some shots that didn't have a prayer of going in. Rasheed has the ability to be a decent point guard, but he needs to play under control. I think if one of the coaches sat him down and showed him the clips/dvr of the 2010 team's point guard(Coach Jon) I believe that might help him. The reason he get's out of control is because he get's in a hurry. I don't think he's a lost cause because he's a talented player. GoDuke!

Very hard to believe the staff has Sulaimon watching Scheyer tape. They are utterly different players. Their skillsets barely overlap, and if Sulaimon made it his life mission to be like Jon he'd be guaranteed to fail at it.

But that's fine, because Jon Scheyer is not the lone model for basketball success in the universe. There are many great players Rasheed can study. Some of them didn't even attend Duke University. I've no doubt the staff *has* given him LOTS of tape of dudes to emulate, of guys who were able to channel ferocity and passion in a way that discomfited the defense and not their own offensive sets. He must apply those lessons, of course, and that is always a stiff order.

jv001
01-22-2015, 06:59 AM
Very hard to believe the staff has Sulaimon watching Scheyer tape. They are utterly different players. Their skillsets barely overlap, and if Sulaimon made it his life mission to be like Jon he'd be guaranteed to fail at it.

But that's fine, because Jon Scheyer is not the lone model for basketball success in the universe. There are many great players Rasheed can study. Some of them didn't even attend Duke University. I've no doubt the staff *has* given him LOTS of tape of dudes to emulate, of guys who were able to channel ferocity and passion in a way that discomfited the defense and not their own offensive sets. He must apply those lessons, of course, and that is always a stiff order.

You are correct, they are two different players. The only reason I suggested Jon was to show Rasheed that he doesn't have to go 120mph to play the point guard position. I know that goes against the grain, but it could give him an idea of how to play the position. Personally I don't want Rasheed to play the point because it takes away from his attacking style. GoDuke!

lotusland
01-22-2015, 07:20 AM

I'm just sayin'

I predict Jahlil will meet with his parents and coaches after the season and give careful consideration to all of his options before making a decision about returning to play PG for Duke next year.

CDu
01-22-2015, 08:44 AM

I agree. If anything, I would say the player to model in the "let's convert a SG to PG" would be Nolan Smith, as he is the guy who Sulaimon is most similar to stylistically.

Saratoga2
01-22-2015, 11:03 AM
I fully admit to knowing little more about Kennard other than my Dayton OSU friends being very, very, very disappointed that he will not be a Buckeye; however, the ones that have seen him in person perceive his offense prowess to be spectacular.

My brother often travels to Nevada for work purposes, and has caught Jeter in person three or four times. His option (Florida grad that dislikes Duke) is that Jeter's fluidity and size paired with Okafor and T. Jones would make Duke disgustingly good, but paired with Obi's post game, though not as great as Okafor's, will free up Jeter to roam a little more than he can currently in high school, and coupled with his stellar hook/finesse game, will lead to Jeter being very tough for college kids to defend for forty minutes.

I view next seasons' current line-up as follows:

T. Jones - Ideal point guard. Can score, but lets the game come to him.

Kennard - Similar to freshmen Redick with Duhon, but Kennard appears to be able to generate his own shot better than young Redick.

Jeter - Jon Henson with better instincts. I never thought that the title game demolition by '90 UNLV would have another positive result beyond the '91 rematch, but young Mr. Jeter is just that.

Jefferson - A senior leader that understands his strengths and weaknesses.

Sulaimon - I'll suspect that year four Rasheed would be desirable to any college team.

Plumlee 3 - Much like Jefferson, knows his role, does it well.

M. Jones - He may never be the scorer everyone hoped for, but he is a fine defender, and more importantly, he has a great attitude in-game.

Allen - He is fine as he is, and I suspect year two will be better than the current version.

Robinson - Walk-on with great work ethic/genes, so I will take that without any hesitation.

Obi - Following Okafor is impossible, but I saw Rice a few times last year, and I have no problem with a kid like Obi manning the middle.

UNNAMED RECRUIT - I suspect that one more big time player is coming to Duke, and I think this UNNAMED INDIVIDUAL will fit in quite well.

Kennard sounds like he could play starters minutes from the get go and that is hopeful. Hope he is that good. As for the rest of your list, there are still talking heads indicating that if Tyus comes out he would be a first rounder. Maybe a temptation for him since Okafor is likely gone.

Jefferson has developed and is a team leader now both on offense and defense. If he develops a mid range jumper he would be a definite pro prospect.

Having watched Chase Jeter, I believe he will need development to handle the power forward position at Duke. He is mobile and has the size, if not the muscle, but he will need to handle the physical play. Fortuneately there are options to allow him to grow into his role.

Suliamon will be of high value if he accepts his role as a shooting guard and learns not to force his offense and calms it down more on defense.

MP3 will get more PT simply because Jahlil will be gone. He has size and athleticism going for him although his offense is probably never going to be outstanding.

M Jones could work on his shot and possibly alter his form in the off season. It is a hard thing for a player to do but in the long run might really help him and the team. He defense is already very good.

Allen has got some skill and a year of practicing and playing with Duke is bound to have helped with some of his rough spots. He could be a nice alternative at guard going forward.

Obi is a guy I had kind of forgotten. He was listed at 6'9" and 270#, but I assume the physical trainers have worked on his weight and stamina. Maybe his playing weight at Duke will be in the 250/260 range. I haven't ever seen him play, but I assume he is good enough to get substantial PT inside next year.

Robinson is a total unknown to me. He does have an outstanding basketball parent, so we will see where that leads.

I don't see where you list Justise Winslow. He is definitely a big part of next years team and I would be very surprised if he goes to the NBA as a one and done. He has things to work on and is probably a future NBA star, but needs more time to reach that level.

As far as unknown recruit, I really wonder what we need at this point. If things break as they appear, we will be strong at guard, small forward and power forward if you think Jefferson and Jeter. With MP3 and Obi in the middle we won't be bad and we aren't getting another Jahlil or any recruit that will help us. PG's are coming the following year. We will also need inside players the following year.

Kedsy
01-22-2015, 11:32 AM
Kennard sounds like he could play starters minutes from the get go and that is hopeful. Hope he is that good.

For what it's worth -- and I realize recruiting rankings are not always the definitive final word -- Luke Kennard is currently ranked 21st by the RSCI, and guys ranked like that historically don't play "starters minutes from the get go" at Duke unless they have very little ahead of them, which probably won't be the case next season. Maybe he's improving and his ranking will go up after his senior season, but very unlikely he'll get into the low teens (JJ Redick, mentioned by another poster, was #11 after his senior season; he was #13 the summer before his senior season, which is when Luke was comparably ranked #21).

As for the rest of your list, there are still talking heads indicating that if Tyus comes out he would be a first rounder. Maybe a temptation for him since Okafor is likely gone.

I don't see where you list Justise Winslow. He is definitely a big part of next years team and I would be very surprised if he goes to the NBA as a one and done.

The above quotes seem inconsistent to me. If Tyus might be tempted because he's projected by some to go late in the first round, why wouldn't Justise be even more tempted by the fact that most "talking heads" think he'll be a lottery pick?

dukelifer
01-22-2015, 12:36 PM
For what it's worth -- and I realize recruiting rankings are not always the definitive final word -- Luke Kennard is currently ranked 21st by the RSCI, and guys ranked like that historically don't play "starters minutes from the get go" at Duke unless they have very little ahead of them, which probably won't be the case next season. Maybe he's improving and his ranking will go up after his senior season, but very unlikely he'll get into the low teens (JJ Redick, mentioned by another poster, was #11 after his senior season; he was #13 the summer before his senior season, which is when Luke was comparably ranked #21).

The above quotes seem inconsistent to me. If Tyus might be tempted because he's projected by some to go late in the first round, why wouldn't Justise be even more tempted by the fact that most "talking heads" think he'll be a lottery pick?

We all imagine JJ's shot in Battier's body. I am sure this kid will never miss a shot while at Duke and will be the defensive stopper we have been missing for years.

gumbomoop
01-22-2015, 01:06 PM
For what it's worth -- and I realize recruiting rankings are not always the definitive final word -- Luke Kennard is currently ranked 21st by the RSCI, and guys ranked like that historically don't play "starters minutes from the get go" at Duke unless they have very little ahead of them, which probably won't be the case next season.

Your earlier comment [post #184] about a "muddled picture" is relevant here. Although I have raised the possibility that Duke might have but 8 guys on scholarship next season, I don't expect that to happen.

But, in the event this unlikely but certainly worst-case scenario comes about, it looks as if all 4 returning perimeter players will play "starters' minutes." Without meaning to get tedious, can we say starters' minutes are something like 22? Or 25? In the 8-scholarship scenario, the only way Luke would get less than 22-25 is (a) if Chase plays a fair amount at SF - not inconceivable, I guess, but a big surprise, or (b) if all of Rasheed, Matt, and Grayson get ~33 mpg. As I'm on [broken] record as claiming that Luke's handle is the best of those 4, naturally I myself wouldn't predict Duke's best ball handler to trail his perimeter partners by that much. And even if he did, ~20 mpg is not far from any reasonable definition of starters' minutes.

In the 8-scholarship scenario, I guess the only 2 players "guaranteed" to play 25+ mpg are Rasheed and Amile; but it just seems highly likely that all of Matt, Grayson, and Luke would also play 25+.

The real debate comes when we turn to why the roster picture is muddled. Right now we don't know about Tyus, Justise, Brandon Ingram, or Caleb Swanigan. To your tag quote's "probably," the presence of any of those first 3 would affect the distribution of perimeter minutes, in the case of Tyus and Justise, significantly.

ChillinDuke
01-22-2015, 01:18 PM
Your earlier comment [post #184] about a "muddled picture" is relevant here. Although I have raised the possibility that Duke might have but 8 guys on scholarship next season, I don't expect that to happen.

But, in the event this unlikely but certainly worst-case scenario comes about, it looks as if all 4 returning perimeter players will play "starters' minutes." Without meaning to get tedious, can we say starters' minutes are something like 22? Or 25? In the 8-scholarship scenario, the only way Luke would get less than 22-25 is (a) if Chase plays a fair amount at SF - not inconceivable, I guess, but a big surprise, or (b) if all of Rasheed, Matt, and Grayson get ~33 mpg. As I'm on [broken] record as claiming that Luke's handle is the best of those 4, naturally I myself wouldn't predict Duke's best ball handler to trail his perimeter partners by that much. And even if he did, ~20 mpg is not far from any reasonable definition of starters' minutes.

In the 8-scholarship scenario, I guess the only 2 players "guaranteed" to play 25+ mpg are Rasheed and Amile; but it just seems highly likely that all of Matt, Grayson, and Luke would also play 25+.

The real debate comes when we turn to why the roster picture is muddled. Right now we don't know about Tyus, Justise, Brandon Ingram, or Caleb Swanigan. To your tag quote's "probably," the presence of any of those first 3 would affect the distribution of perimeter minutes, in the case of Tyus and Justise, significantly.

Gumbo, at the risk of sounding harsh, and while I generally enjoy your posts, this Kennard discussion is becoming very tiresome.

We all get that you love LK's PG potential. So, why does it feel as though I'm reminded of this unending love in every thread, every day. (Realizing fully that this is a LK thread)

I'm happy to read/discuss mostly anything re: Luke, but can we postpone the deep discussion of his PG potential (and more importantly, your high regard for it) when directly confronted with the "unlikely but certainly worst-case" scenario?

Apologies again for the direct nature of the post. But you're (probably knowingly) sticking your neck out here.

- Chillin

Kedsy
01-22-2015, 01:28 PM
But, in the event this unlikely but certainly worst-case scenario comes about, it looks as if all 4 returning perimeter players will play "starters' minutes."

Yes, I agree with this. Perhaps I should have been, but I wasn't thinking of having just 8 scholarship players when I made my earlier statement. Although even with just four perimeter players, he's not guaranteed starters' minutes. Andre Dawkins only averaged 11.9 mpg as the fourth perimeter player in 2009-10 (counting DNP-CD as 0 minutes). If we only have four perimeter players, Luke would certainly get rotation minutes, and he'd probably get more than Andre in 2010 because it wouldn't seem the drop off from Rasheed/Matt/Grayson to freshman Luke would be anywhere near what is was from Smith/Scheyer/Singler to freshman Dawkins. That said, it's probably not worth debating the boundary line between rotation minutes and starters' minutes. At least not until the off-season. ;)

I agree with this, too. How many minutes Luke gets in next year's rotation can't really be intelligently discussed until we know (a) who's on the roster; and (b) how much Luke improves over the course of his senior season. And as you allude, when it comes to predicting minutes, (a) is more important than (b).

gumbomoop
01-22-2015, 01:53 PM
Gumbo, at the risk of sounding harsh, and while I generally enjoy your posts, this Kennard discussion is becoming very tiresome.

We all get that you love LK's PG potential. So, why does it feel as though I'm reminded of this unending love in every thread, every day. (Realizing fully that this is a LK thread)

I'm happy to read/discuss mostly anything re: Luke, but can we postpone the deep discussion of his PG potential (and more importantly, your high regard for it) when directly confronted with the "unlikely but certainly worst-case" scenario?

Apologies again for the direct nature of the post. But you're (probably knowingly) sticking your neck out here.

- Chillin

The specific post to which you're responding isn't about Luke's PG potential, but I do accept your constructive criticism that I've said enough about his talents. [Except for his shooting; not sure why I haven't droned on about that; probably, you're right, the PG stuff.]

No need to apologize, as I respect the direct but civil approach. If I didn't know I was sticking my neck out a bit too far, I should have.

jimsumner
01-22-2015, 02:11 PM
Some points.

Even in the unlikely worst-case scenario, in which all of Ty Jones, Winslow, Ingram and Swanigan make decisions that take them away from Duke, I would expect K to add some late signee(s), perhaps an Andre Buckner stopgap, perhaps something better, perhaps a grad student.

In the absence of Ty Jones, I would expect Sulaimon to get the lion's share of ball-handling responsibilities. If Chris Collins can average almost 5 apg, then so can Sulaimon.

I'm not comfortable using Kennard's RSCI ranking as a predictor of PT. Look at Jon Scheyer's freshman season. Duke was replacing J.J. Redick and Sean Dockery, so there was some PT up for grabs in 2007. But Scheyer--whose RSCI ranking was lower than that of Kennard-averaged well over 30 mpg, more than junior DeMarcus Nelson, sophomore Greg Paulus and classmate Gerald Henderson, all of whom were ranked higher coming out of high school.

Most of the questions surrounding Kennard relate to the low level of high-school competition he faces. But he's played quite well when given the opportunity to face higher-level competition. There likely will be an adjustment period. But I think it possible-perhaps likely-that he will see the floor as often as Matt Jones or Allen by midseason.

mr. synellinden
02-05-2015, 08:37 PM
Here is a Luke Kennard highlight video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPxgHSS6PuA&feature=youtu.be). Regardless of the level of the competition, a few things are clear: Luke can dribble and finish with both hands, which is rare. He has excellent court vision. He can shoot. He can create his own shot.

It also looks to me like he can play point guard if needed.

Also, Luke is close to passing some guy named LeBron (http://usatodayhss.com/2015/lebron-james-luke-kennard-ohsaa-scoring#sthash.t8r3KXDm.uxfs) on the OHSAA career scoring list.

Bay Area Duke Fan
02-05-2015, 11:30 PM
Some points.

Even in the unlikely worst-case scenario, in which all of Ty Jones, Winslow, Ingram and Swanigan make decisions that take them away from Duke, I would expect K to add some late signee(s), perhaps an Andre Buckner stopgap, perhaps something better, perhaps a grad student.

In the absence of Ty Jones, I would expect Sulaimon to get the lion's share of ball-handling responsibilities. If Chris Collins can average almost 5 apg, then so can Sulaimon.

I'm not comfortable using Kennard's RSCI ranking as a predictor of PT. Look at Jon Scheyer's freshman season. Duke was replacing J.J. Redick and Sean Dockery, so there was some PT up for grabs in 2007. But Scheyer--whose RSCI ranking was lower than that of Kennard-averaged well over 30 mpg, more than junior DeMarcus Nelson, sophomore Greg Paulus and classmate Gerald Henderson, all of whom were ranked higher coming out of high school.

Most of the questions surrounding Kennard relate to the low level of high-school competition he faces. But he's played quite well when given the opportunity to face higher-level competition. There likely will be an adjustment period. But I think it possible-perhaps likely-that he will see the floor as often as Matt Jones or Allen by midseason.

What would you expect in the absence of both T Jones and Sulaimon?

-bdbd
02-05-2015, 11:57 PM
What would you expect in the absence of both T Jones and Sulaimon?

A: A Buckner-like late PG addition (or one year grad student PG adition).

Kedsy
02-06-2015, 12:36 AM
A: A Buckner-like late PG addition (or one year grad student PG adition).

The grad student option might make some sense, but I don't see how an Andre Buckner type would help all that much, in a situation in which we had no PG at all.

Duvall
02-06-2015, 12:40 AM
The grad student option might make some sense, but I don't see how an Andre Buckner type would help all that much, in a situation in which we had no PG at all.

Well, if Duke offered both they might have a shot at having enough players to scrimmage next season.

Kedsy
02-06-2015, 12:59 AM
Well, if Duke offered both they might have a shot at having enough players to scrimmage next season.

OK, I suppose it's possible a Buckner type might help in practice. Not sure that's worth giving a four-year scholarship to a guy who would never play, though.

That said, the only way we don't have enough players for a 5x5 scrimmage is if Jahlil, Tyus, and Justise all go pro after this season and we also get zero more recruits and zero grad transfers. I acknowledge that's a possibility, but I don't know that I'd call it likely.

subzero02
02-06-2015, 01:08 AM
OK, I suppose it's possible a Buckner type might help in practice. Not sure that's worth giving a four-year scholarship to a guy who would never play, though.

That said, the only way we don't have enough players for a 5x5 scrimmage is if Jahlil, Tyus, and Justise all go pro after this season and we also get zero more recruits and zero grad transfers. I acknowledge that's a possibility, but I don't know that I'd call it likely.

I really hope Tyus stays. Keeping 2 of the 3 seemed like a slight possibility a week ago before Justise found his mojo.

theschwartz
02-06-2015, 03:35 AM
I really hope Tyus stays. Keeping 2 of the 3 seemed like a slight possibility a week ago before Justise found his mojo.

It might seem obvious but perhaps it needs to be said: I'd much rather our 3 star freshmen all go pro with great certainty because they went gangbusters the last 2 months of the season and led Duke to the FF or a NC, then for Winslow and Tyus to come back because they under-performed down the stretch.

CDu
02-06-2015, 08:13 AM

Right now, we would have Plumlee, Jefferson, Obi, and Jeter up front with Matt Jones, Kennard, and Allen in the backcourt without the other three freshmen staying. So we are already well short of a 5 on 5 practice in terms of scholarship players. We will have Robinson, but he is more of an undersized fifth big guy and having him play the wing in practice doesn't seem entirely useful. So we could really use three more guards/wings. At the moment, we have just three scholarship guards/wings safely on the roster for next year. So it would seem that both a grad transfer AND a lower-tier recruit would be useful (along with perhaps landing a guy like Ingram) if both Tyus Jones and Winslow go pro.

Kedsy
02-06-2015, 11:21 AM
Right now, we would have Plumlee, Jefferson, Obi, and Jeter up front with Matt Jones, Kennard, and Allen in the backcourt without the other three freshmen staying. So we are already well short of a 5 on 5 practice in terms of scholarship players. We will have Robinson, but he is more of an undersized fifth big guy and having him play the wing in practice doesn't seem entirely useful. So we could really use three more guards/wings. At the moment, we have just three scholarship guards/wings safely on the roster for next year. So it would seem that both a grad transfer AND a lower-tier recruit would be useful (along with perhaps landing a guy like Ingram) if both Tyus Jones and Winslow go pro.

I would argue that I'd rather use Robinson, even if he isn't exactly what we need for practice matchups, than use a scholarship for four years on a sub-100 recruit who would never play but might be useful in practice for one season. I understand the opposing point of view but just don't agree with it.

MChambers
02-06-2015, 11:43 AM
Just want to say that I'm looking forward to seeing Luke play for Duke. Seems like a great kid and a very talented and versatile player.

There, now this thread is back on track.

mattman91
02-06-2015, 11:54 AM
Just want to say that I'm looking forward to seeing Luke play for Duke. Seems like a great kid and a very talented and versatile player.

There, now this thread is back on track.

Thanks.

I think he is going to be very good for us if he can quickly adapt to the speed of the game. Playing Ojeleye-like competition in high school is the only concern I have for him.

CDu
02-06-2015, 12:18 PM
I would argue that I'd rather use Robinson, even if he isn't exactly what we need for practice matchups, than use a scholarship for four years on a sub-100 recruit who would never play but might be useful in practice for one season. I understand the opposing point of view but just don't agree with it.

I know for a fact that you realize that Tyler Thornton was a sub-100 recruit who played 10 mpg as freshman and 20+ mpg each subsequent year. Similar story for Lee Melchionni (who played ~20 mpg as an upperclassman).

I'm not saying to find some kid in the 200s, but there is certainly a history of guys sub-100 playing significant minutes when depth issues forced it. And considering that we almost never threaten our scholarship limit anyway, I don't see too much harm in it. Especially because I think we can always use a backup PG who doesn't mind being a backup PG.

mattman91
02-06-2015, 12:22 PM

So, would you say the same thing about using Pagliuca as a practice matchup at PG?

GGLC
02-06-2015, 12:38 PM
So, would you say the same thing about using Pagliuca as a practice matchup at PG?

Bingo.

If the three freshmen leave and we don't add any other players, we will have seven scholarship players. Seven.

Bringing in a couple of good kids who are significantly above walk-on talent level in that scenario -- to compete in practice and guard against injuries if nothing else -- seems like a no-brainer to me. We're not at any risk of maxing out our scholarship limit any time soon.

westwall
02-06-2015, 12:42 PM
Thanks.

I think he is going to be very good for us if he can quickly adapt to the speed of the game. Playing Ojeleye-like competition in high school is the only concern I have for him.

Your assumption is understandable but perhaps insufficiently informed. Check out his recent 47 pts against Montrose Christian, his play at Peach Jam and in international competition last summer.

CDu
02-06-2015, 12:50 PM
Your assumption is understandable but perhaps insufficiently informed. Check out his recent 47 pts against Montrose Christian, his play at Peach Jam and in international competition last summer.

Yeah, I agree. I think the concern with Kennard was that he was dominating against weak competition. But I think we now have had enough evidence against top talent that we can rule out that he is just a big fish in a small pond and nothing more.

CDu
02-06-2015, 12:55 PM
Bingo.

If the three freshmen leave and we don't add any other players, we will have seven scholarship players. Seven.

Bringing in a couple of good kids who are significantly above walk-on talent level in that scenario -- to compete in practice and guard against injuries if nothing else -- seems like a no-brainer to me. We're not at any risk of maxing out our scholarship limit any time soon.

Exactly. I just don't buy the argument of "we shouldn't waste a scholarship on a kid outside of the top-100." If we do lose Jones and Winslow along with Okafor and Cook, we will be in no jeopardy of threatening the scholarship limit next year. Nor will we likely ever threaten the scholarship limit.

Heck, we have historically had enough extra scholarships available that we are able to reward one of our walk-ons with a scholarship. So I don't see how recruiting a player who is MUCH better than our walk-ons is a problem. If it means we have 12 scholarship players one year instead of 11, so what? We can afford it, and that is preferable to the alternative of having only 7 scholarship players (and only 3 guards/wings) next year.

This is of course all contingent upon (a) losing Tyus Jones and (b) not getting multiple grad transfers. But I just can't see Duke going into next season without a PG on the roster, nor can I see us having only 3 scholarship guard/wings on the roster. We are going to need to add some bodies. A grad transfer might be best, but I wouldn't mind a top-150ish PG to come in and play backup PG for four years.

Kedsy
02-06-2015, 01:53 PM
I know for a fact that you realize that Tyler Thornton was a sub-100 recruit who played 10 mpg as freshman and 20+ mpg each subsequent year. Similar story for Lee Melchionni (who played ~20 mpg as an upperclassman).

I'm not saying to find some kid in the 200s, but there is certainly a history of guys sub-100 playing significant minutes when depth issues forced it. And considering that we almost never threaten our scholarship limit anyway, I don't see too much harm in it. Especially because I think we can always use a backup PG who doesn't mind being a backup PG.

Yeah, but Duke was in on those guys early, which suggests Coach K saw something in them beyond their recruiting ranking. At this late date, my guess is anyone like that is either not available or too difficult to identify, or we would have already initiated contact.

I'm just saying we shouldn't offer someone a four-year* scholarship just to be a body (which is more or less what happened with Andre Buckner).

* I know scholarships are year-to-year, but I can't imagine Coach K taking the kid's scholly away after he's on campus, so bringing on a kid like that would in essence be a four year commitment.

CDu
02-06-2015, 02:07 PM
Yeah, but Duke was in on those guys early, which suggests Coach K saw something in them beyond their recruiting ranking. At this late date, my guess is anyone like that is either not available or too difficult to identify, or we would have already initiated contact.

I'm just saying we shouldn't offer someone a four-year* scholarship just to be a body (which is more or less what happened with Andre Buckner).

* I know scholarships are year-to-year, but I can't imagine Coach K taking the kid's scholly away after he's on campus, so bringing on a kid like that would in essence be a four year commitment.

I don't think we should offer "a body," either. But I don't think that a kid in the 100-150 range is necessarily "just a body." At the very least, such a player would be a big step up from the walk-ons. And it could be (especially with PG, where the depth of talent is way greater than at bigger positions due to more guys in the US being 6'2" and under than 6'3" and over) that a guy like that develops over time, too. The latter is less likely, but still possible.

And again, the issue is that we have just 3 guards/wings certainly secured for next season, and no PGs (and only one of the three will have any significant playing experience at the college level). In any other year, it probably would be a waste of time to offer a kid in the 100-150 range. But this coming year is potentially a big exception. Desperate times often call for abnormal measures, and I think going into a season with just 3 wings and no PGs (and two of whom essentially playing as first-time regulars) would qualify as desperate.

I would certainly prefer to get the grad transfer and a guy like Ingram, but even then I'd not mind having a guy in the 100-150 range to provide depth at our least-deep position.

ChillinDuke
02-06-2015, 03:18 PM
I don't think we should offer "a body," either. But I don't think that a kid in the 100-150 range is necessarily "just a body." At the very least, such a player would be a big step up from the walk-ons. And it could be (especially with PG, where the depth of talent is way greater than at bigger positions due to more guys in the US being 6'2" and under than 6'3" and over) that a guy like that develops over time, too. The latter is less likely, but still possible.

And again, the issue is that we have just 3 guards/wings certainly secured for next season, and no PGs (and only one of the three will have any significant playing experience at the college level). In any other year, it probably would be a waste of time to offer a kid in the 100-150 range. But this coming year is potentially a big exception. Desperate times often call for abnormal measures, and I think going into a season with just 3 wings and no PGs (and two of whom essentially playing as first-time regulars) would qualify as desperate.

I would certainly prefer to get the grad transfer and a guy like Ingram, but even then I'd not mind having a guy in the 100-150 range to provide depth at our least-deep position.

There are currently only 4 prospects in the 100-150 range (per Scout) that have not committed to a school yet.

Sounds improbable, to say the least.

ETA: And one is a 7'1" center.

- Chillin

AIRFORCEDUKIE
02-06-2015, 03:21 PM
I still have 4 years of eligibility left. And I don't need a scholly, I have the GI Bill!!! I will start getting back in shape for next season starting now. Also, I play point so it will work out good. All county honorable mention 2 times baby!! Here I come, gonna be a diaper dandy

Des Esseintes
02-06-2015, 03:25 PM
There are currently only 4 prospects in the 100-150 range (per Scout) that have not committed to a school yet.

- Chillin

Yeah, Buckner was well below #150, if I remember correctly. Whoever we signed would be an extreme long shot to ever contribute at Thornton or Melchionni levels.

CDu
02-06-2015, 03:28 PM

- Chillin

There are quite a few 3 star PG (per Scout) and even a 4-star guy still available at PG. I won't venture a guess about probability, though.

And again, I'm not expecting a guy signed down there to be a main contributor in games. Just that it would be a big improvement over the walk-ons, and could be a guy who eventually plays.

mr. synellinden
02-06-2015, 04:16 PM
There are quite a few 3 star PG (per Scout) and even a 4-star guy still available at PG. I won't venture a guess about probability, though.

And again, I'm not expecting a guy signed down there to be a main contributor in games. Just that it would be a big improvement over the walk-ons, and could be a guy who eventually plays.

Here's a linky (http://scouthoops.scout.com/topic/players/?s=75&type=players&start=0&category="Basketball%20Recruiting"&classYear="2015"&position="Point%20Guard") if you want to peruse. Funny, this probably should be in the recruiting thread.

Even better, here's a listing (http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=11&cfg=bb&yr=2015&pid=40&sspid=-1&iRatingValue=3&iGetJUCOFlag=-1&iCommitFlag=0&iGroupbyPosition=0&toinid=-1&iInterestLevelId=-1&iOffer=-1&iRecruitVisitFlag=-1&OrderbyColumn=RatingValue) of all the uncommitted 3-star and above point guards. In a quick search, I noticed that one is listed as having interest in/from Duke: Charvon Julien from Riverside Academy in Louisiana. For reference: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2042143-duke-basketball-early-recruiting-wish-list-for-the-class-of-2015

Kedsy
02-06-2015, 04:26 PM

Don't forget these guys also have to be academically strong enough to get into and do the coursework at Duke.

Also, FWIW, the 18th ranked PG is outside the top 100 overall, and all those available three stars are lower than the 30th ranked PG, which means there's a good chance none of them are in the top 150. To make this work, we'd have to go fishing for a 150 to 200 guy, or probably sub-200. How much better would that guy be than a walk-on? I have no idea.

mattman91
02-06-2015, 04:33 PM
Here's a linky (http://scouthoops.scout.com/topic/players/?s=75&type=players&start=0&category="Basketball%20Recruiting"&classYear="2015"&position="Point%20Guard") if you want to peruse. Funny, this probably should be in the recruiting thread.

Even better, here's a listing (http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=11&cfg=bb&yr=2015&pid=40&sspid=-1&iRatingValue=3&iGetJUCOFlag=-1&iCommitFlag=0&iGroupbyPosition=0&toinid=-1&iInterestLevelId=-1&iOffer=-1&iRecruitVisitFlag=-1&OrderbyColumn=RatingValue) of all the uncommitted 3-star and above point guards. In a quick search, I noticed that one is listed as having interest in/from Duke: Charvon Julien from Riverside Academy in Louisiana. For reference: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2042143-duke-basketball-early-recruiting-wish-list-for-the-class-of-2015

I pointed this out in the 2015 recruiting thread, but someone said the interest from our side isn't very high. This was before the Rasheed dismissal, however.

bob blue devil
02-06-2015, 04:39 PM
How much better would that guy be than a walk-on? I have no idea.

hmm... what's the cost to Duke if he's not materially better than a walk-on? Honest question. I guess there's the financial cost of the scholly. and the possible academic impact if his academics are not walk-on level. and, of course, the opportunity cost of the scholly should we wind up tight scholly's after a couple of years. are these costs large enough to warrant our avoiding a 100-250 guy? could we go the scholarship only if one is available route (or does that only work if you say, 'not this year, but maybe in the future', rather than, 'this year, but maybe not in the future')?

Kedsy
02-06-2015, 04:50 PM
hmm... what's the cost to Duke if he's not materially better than a walk-on? Honest question. I guess there's the financial cost of the scholly. and the possible academic impact if his academics are not walk-on level. and, of course, the opportunity cost of the scholly should we wind up tight scholly's after a couple of years. are these costs large enough to warrant our avoiding a 100-250 guy? could we go the scholarship only if one is available route (or does that only work if you say, 'not this year, but maybe in the future', rather than, 'this year, but maybe not in the future')?

I don't know. But I do know we're rarely near the scholarship limit and other than Andre Buckner, I don't think Coach K has ever brought in a 150+ guy, so he must think the costs generally outweigh the advantages.

Duvall
02-06-2015, 05:29 PM
I don't know. But I do know we're rarely near the scholarship limit and other than Andre Buckner, I don't think Coach K has ever brought in a 150+ guy, so he must think the costs generally outweigh the advantages.

Sure. But "generally" probably doesn't cover the seven scholarship players scenario.

Kedsy
02-06-2015, 06:30 PM
Sure. But "generally" probably doesn't cover the seven scholarship players scenario.

OK, but I still think the odds of us having just seven scholarship players is low. Either one of our three star freshmen will stay, and/or we'll get another recruit and/or we'll get a graduate transfer. At this point I'd be surprised if we went for a ~200 rated recruit just to fill out the roster.

BD80
02-06-2015, 08:19 PM
Don't forget these guys also have to be academically strong enough to get into and do the coursework at Duke.

Also, FWIW, the 18th ranked PG is outside the top 100 overall, and all those available three stars are lower than the 30th ranked PG, which means there's a good chance none of them are in the top 150. To make this work, we'd have to go fishing for a 150 to 200 guy, or probably sub-200. How much better would that guy be than a walk-on? I have no idea.

I'd pick the one who has grown 8-10" since his recruitment stared.

sagegrouse
02-06-2015, 08:26 PM

OK, but I still think the odds of us having just seven scholarship players is low. Either one of our three star freshmen will stay, and/or we'll get another recruit and/or we'll get a graduate transfer. At this point I'd be surprised if we went for a ~200 rated recruit just to fill out the roster.

I'd pick the one who has grown 8-10" since his recruitment stared.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but the rules have changed. PG's at other schools who have accumulated enough credits for graduation but still have a year of eligibility will be -- and probably already are -- well aware of the "Duke opportunity."

I think the lack of undue recruiting effort by the Duke staff is due to the potential for grad students, although I would be delighted if the staff is confident that Tyus and maybe even Justise will return.

Kindly,
Sage

Duke95
02-06-2015, 08:35 PM
Not to put too fine a point on it, but the rules have changed. PG's at other schools who have accumulated enough credits for graduation but still have a year of eligibility will be -- and probably already are -- well aware of the "Duke opportunity."

I think the lack of undue recruiting effort by the Duke staff is due to the potential for grad students, although I would be delighted if the staff is confident that Tyus and maybe even Justise will return.

Kindly,
Sage

I put the chances that Justise returns somewhere between 0 and 0.1%.
With Tyus, I think we may be at 25%.

I will do cartwheels if either return though.

GGLC
02-06-2015, 11:43 PM

Ooh, 0.1% -- an optimist! :)

lotusland
02-07-2015, 12:01 AM
With Tyus, I think we may be at 25%.

I will do cartwheels if either return though.

So you're saying there's a chance!!!

Troublemaker
02-07-2015, 05:11 AM
Luke passed Lebron Friday night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7vokBNcLxs

Sideline/crowd view of the shot Luke passed Lebron on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTCwum9outk

Duke95
02-07-2015, 09:50 AM
Ooh, 0.1% -- an optimist! :)

Dum spiro spero. :)

plimnko
02-07-2015, 02:09 PM
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/breaking-lbjs-hs-records/vi-AA95l4x

Ggallagher
02-12-2015, 09:49 AM
There's nearly a two page article on Luke Kennard in today's paper here in Cincinnati....

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/2015/02/10/duke-signee-luke-kennard-is-the-pride-of-franklin/23164425/

NM Duke Fan
02-12-2015, 01:26 PM
Watching highlight videos he has a very impressive level of offensive skills already! What I am wondering is how has his defense looked, any personal reports? If he can learn the ropes defensively in a hurry next year, wow!

tdrake51
02-12-2015, 01:29 PM
Watching highlight videos he has a very impressive level of offensive skills already! What I am wondering is how has his defense looked, any personal reports? If he can learn the ropes defensively in a hurry next year, wow!

I'm going to his last home game tomorrow. I'll pay attention to his defense.

NM Duke Fan
02-12-2015, 01:50 PM
I'm going to his last home game tomorrow. I'll pay attention to his defense.

Thanks! Have a great time at the game, and I am sure many here will be interested on your comments on his defense.

flyingdutchdevil
02-12-2015, 02:11 PM
I'm sure Luke Kennard is a really good player. He's rated 21st in the RSCI rankings (an aggregator). He's got a really good shot, good at getting to the rim, and has some PG skills.

On DBR, he's also been called the next JJ Redick, the "next" player to hit 2,000 points, our 2015-16 PG, and basically the next great player at Duke. I'm not saying I don't buy it, but why him rather than Chase Jeter, a player who is ranked 8th in RSCI and has more long-term potential than Luke due to his size and athleticism?

I'm excited about Kennard, but I'm even more intrigued by Jeter.