PDA

View Full Version : Strange rule

SoCalDukeFan
03-22-2014, 01:10 AM
Evidently you can not dunk in warm ups in the last 20 minutes. Why?
K State walk on dunked at 19:58. Game started wth KY shooting technicals.

SoCal

ajtrublu
03-22-2014, 01:17 AM
I would guess it's to avoid damage to the rims or backboards so close to tip-off. Kind of silly since you can dunk during the game.

hurleyfor3
03-22-2014, 01:29 AM
I would guess it's to avoid damage to the rims or backboards so close to tip-off. Kind of silly since you can dunk during the game.

This happened in a game in Cameron in 1999. A Wake player, well down the bench, shattered a backboard during warmups. I was at the game, and the start was delayed because they had to wheel in one of the practice backboards, but I don't remember a T. I guess the dunk took place before the forbidden period.

How did the game start after the T? Kentucky inbounding, then Kansas State getting the possession arrow?

Henderson
03-22-2014, 01:42 AM
This happened in a game in Cameron in 1999. A Wake player, well down the bench, shattered a backboard during warmups. I was at the game, and the start was delayed because they had to wheel in one of the practice backboards, but I don't remember a T. I guess the dunk took place before the forbidden period.

Maybe that is what resulted in the rule? In any event, what player warms up by dunking so hard as to shatter a backboard? There are substances out there that might explain such behavior, and not one of them is adrenalin.

Edouble
03-22-2014, 04:27 AM

How did the game start after the T? Kentucky inbounding, then Kansas State getting the possession arrow?

The player in question was Ed Kargbookorogie, who also played on the football team. The Crazies started the whole thing with some taunting about the player's size and inability to dunk. He answered back with a dunk (and a shattered backboard). The Crazies responded right on cue with chants of "stu-pid, stu-pid".

Dave Odom said that Kargbookorogie had missed the early season team meetings where they went over some of these basics, as he had still been playing football at that point.

Odom also offered to pay for the backboard.

The game was played on two practice backboards, with shots clocks on the ground.

Johnboy
03-22-2014, 08:16 AM

Actually, Kentucky took the free throws and then they tipped off the game at center court, UK up by 1.

DU82
03-22-2014, 08:30 AM
Maybe that is what resulted in the rule? In any event, what player warms up by dunking so hard as to shatter a backboard? There are substances out there that might explain such behavior, and not one of them is adrenalin.

The rule was in place well before that Wake game. Not sure how much before, but my guess is back to when they reinstated the dunk as a legal play in the mid '70s.

uh_no
03-22-2014, 08:59 AM
Evidently you can not dunk in warm ups in the last 20 minutes. Why?
K State walk on dunked at 19:58. Game started wth KY shooting technicals.

SoCal

my understanding is that it's not 20 minutes, but after the refs come on the court...but i could be wrong.

i'd imagine the justification is to prevent the layup line turning into a dunk contest, which if we're honest, would certainly happen at some schools

bob blue devil
03-22-2014, 09:06 AM
The player in question was Ed Kargbookorogie, who also played on the football team. The Crazies started the whole thing with some taunting about the player's size and inability to dunk. He answered back with a dunk (and a shattered backboard). The Crazies responded right on cue with chants of "stu-pid, stu-pid".

Dave Odom said that Kargbookorogie had missed the early season team meetings where they went over some of these basics, as he had still been playing football at that point.

Odom also offered to pay for the backboard.

The game was played on two practice backboards, with shots clocks on the ground.

Good memory. IIRC he started with a layup and the crazies went to 'you can't dunk!' The next time he went with a half hearted dunk, which didn't go down and further encouraged the crazies. So he decided to show the crazies and he did!

DukeDevil
03-22-2014, 09:09 AM
i'd imagine the justification is to prevent the layup line turning into a dunk contest, which if we're honest, would certainly happen at some schools

To be fair, for some teams dunk contests WOULD be appropriate warmups (florida gulf coast last year)

Kdogg
03-22-2014, 10:12 AM
Players can't touch the rim while the refs are on the court during the pregame. It's a long standing rule. There was no technical on Kargbookorogie, because he was doing it during player warm ups.

Newton_14
03-22-2014, 11:13 AM
my understanding is that it's not 20 minutes, but after the refs come on the court...but i could be wrong.

That sounds right to me based on memory. The players often dunk in layup line (albeit lightly) in the warm up session prior to the refs coming out. After that they stop.

DU82
03-22-2014, 12:00 PM
That sounds right to me based on memory. The players often dunk in layup line (albeit lightly) in the warm up session prior to the refs coming out. After that they stop.

Rule 10, section 4, article I-e, right after the rule forbidding any player from possessing or using tobacco. (That rule may vary in Colorado or Washington.)

Olympic Fan
03-22-2014, 12:18 PM
DU82 is right.

When the rule was reinstated before the 1975-75 season, there was a faction that was opposed to the dunk for various reasons -- one was the fear that it would make big men too dominant (the no dunk rule was instituted in 1968 to limit the dominance of Lew Alcindor), but when they eventually lost that argument, their next line of defense was danger to the backboards and rums. The pre-game ban on dunks was a sop to their point of view.

Dunks are banned when the refs come out -- but they are supposed to come out 20 minutes before tipoff.

CDu
03-22-2014, 12:46 PM
The rule was in place well before that Wake game. Not sure how much before, but my guess is back to when they reinstated the dunk as a legal play in the mid '70s.

Yeah, that rule has been around for a LONG time. I'm pretty sure the reason was to minimize risk of breaking the backboard before the game (or before the second half). But I remember it all the way back to when I was in high school (not that I had to worry about the rule, but my teammates sure did).