PDA

View Full Version : Day just keeps getting better

DBFAN
03-22-2014, 01:01 AM
Not only did UNC play a Providence team that in no way resembles an 11 seed. And the matchup was always extremely favorable for UNC. Now this.

@crazietalker: Of course, they play UNC next. RT @LukeDeCock: RT @CycloneMBB: Georges Niang has a foot fracture and will miss the remainder of the season.

eddiehaskell
03-22-2014, 02:30 AM
Check out the box score from their game against NCCU if you want to feel even worse...

ISU has ONE bench player that actually played any minutes...and he's a guard. I repeat ONE bench player. Their three big men on the bench average 1.5ppg, 1.2ppg and 1.1ppg, respectively. :D

It seems safe to say that this ISU team is not a tournament team without Niang's 16.5/4.4/3.6 contribution.

They may have to call in the ball boy if they have any foul trouble.

Is it just me or does anyone else now see UNC being capable of beating any team in the east region? They're definitely not a great team, but I can't say any of the other teams are great either. The #2 seed Villanova was blew out by Creighton TWO times.

Edouble
03-22-2014, 02:45 AM
Is it just me or does anyone else now see UNC being capable of beating any team in the east region? They're definitely not a great team, but I can't say any of the other teams are great either. The #2 seed Villanova was blew out by Creighton TWO times.

If you must know, I picked them in my bracket for the Final Four. Ability to come back late in games, 2nd half Paige, and Izzo can not beat Roy.

eddiehaskell
03-22-2014, 03:08 AM
If you must know, I picked them in my bracket for the Final Four. Ability to come back late in games, 2nd half Paige, and Izzo can not beat Roy.I had them in the elite 8 myself. I knew they would get a 5 or 6 seed so I was thinking I wouldn't want to be the 1 or 2 seed in their region.

If we exclude a horrible 2 week period in January, UNC is 23-5 and probably ranked in the top 5. They have 2 or 3 above average bigs down low, a PG that as you said loves the 2nd half and a incredibly athletic wing in Tokoto (how did he hit that spinning shot?)...plus Mcdonald and a serviceable backup PG in Britt. Just about all bases are covered.

weezie
03-22-2014, 12:20 PM
If you must know, I picked them in my bracket for the Final Four. Ability to come back late in games, 2nd half Paige, and Izzo can not beat Roy.

Who said we must know?!!! :eek: I'm kind of weepy now!
Barf. :p

DBFAN
03-22-2014, 12:55 PM
The only thing that is giving me some hope is, you never want to play a team in their first game without a player. They tend to muster up super human abilities for that one game, and players who never do much suddenly have one breakout game. Then after that a certain reality sets in and they come back to earth

wavedukefan70s
03-22-2014, 04:38 PM
Atleast you don't have redskins fans texting you that duke now has the romo curse.with a picture of him and garret in duke shirts.

bluedevilallie
03-22-2014, 06:29 PM
Don't call doomsday yet about the UNC/ISU match up. Hoiberg is a genius. My hubby is an ISU grad. He'll have an ace in his pocket. I'm thinking positive. It's not the end yet.

jipops
03-22-2014, 11:55 PM
I have unc in my final 8 as well. For this I apologize. Just being realistic.

jipops
03-22-2014, 11:57 PM
Don't know the severity, but looks like UConn's best player Napier, who has been schooling Villanova, just went to the bench with an injury

DBFAN
03-23-2014, 12:22 AM
No surprise that another Higher seed goes down in UNC bracket. Wouldn't doubt sometime tomorrow we will hear that Napier won't be able to play for the rest of the tourney

uh_no
03-23-2014, 12:24 AM
No surprise that another Higher seed goes down in UNC bracket. Wouldn't doubt sometime tomorrow we will hear that Napier won't be able to play for the rest of the tourney

uconn/villanova was a pretty weak pod IMO. nappier was insane in the second half tonight, but I don't think UNC will get past ISU so it won't matter

DBFAN
03-23-2014, 12:31 AM
uconn/villanova was a pretty weak pod IMO. nappier was insane in the second half tonight, but I don't think UNC will get past ISU so it won't matter

I pray to God that you are right

DBFAN
03-23-2014, 12:32 AM

But that has also been my point. The fact that region in General was so weak was astounding. The fact that almost every game you could have, the match ups favor UNC. And everybody know that Izzo won't beat Roy....SMH

uh_no
03-23-2014, 12:57 AM
But that has also been my point. The fact that region in General was so weak was astounding. The fact that almost every game you could have, the match ups favor UNC. And everybody know that Izzo won't beat Roy....SMH

it's okay uva will take out the lot of them

weezie
03-23-2014, 01:28 PM
And everybody know that Izzo won't beat Roy....SMH

Firmly believe he won't see them this year. Holes looked pretty shaky Friday. Gosh darn it all to heck and gone, that Paige fellow. uuuugh.

Duvall
03-23-2014, 07:40 PM
The only thing that is giving me some hope is, you never want to play a team in their first game without a player. They tend to muster up super human abilities for that one game, and players who never do much suddenly have one breakout game. Then after that a certain reality sets in and they come back to earth

Good call here.

Gthoma2a
03-23-2014, 07:44 PM
I was screaming at the TV until the analysts finally noticed that the clock was stuck for at least two dribbles. Usually those calls tend to go Roy's way.

Atlanta Duke
03-23-2014, 07:47 PM
Roy's press conference should be fun

Faustus
03-23-2014, 07:47 PM
Izzo no longer has to beat Roy. Roy gone.

grossbus
03-23-2014, 07:48 PM
impossible to get to IC.

Duvall
03-23-2014, 07:51 PM
impossible to get to IC.

Probably for the best. Leave 'em alone, this is always a tough night.

Kjeffrey
03-23-2014, 07:53 PM
Izzo no longer has to beat Roy. Roy gone.

I thought for sure the refs were going to grant the TO and Paige would hit a three.

FerryFor50
03-23-2014, 07:54 PM
Probably for the best. Leave 'em alone, this is always a tough night.

Right, because they totally didn't rub it in on Friday...

CDu
03-23-2014, 07:55 PM
impossible to get to IC.

Given the end to our season, I don't see much reason to try to gloat over there. It stunk for us when we lost; it stinks for them that they lost. Best to just leave it be.

Duke95
03-23-2014, 07:56 PM
Agreed. You can't complain about UNC fans if you go and do the same thing as they do. Losses are always painful, no matter who your favorite team might be. I imagine there are a lot of Kansas, Wichita State, and UNC fans feeling what we felt a couple days ago. The NCAA tourney is merciless.

Furniture
03-23-2014, 08:02 PM
UNC also didn't lose to a lower seed.

FerryFor50
03-23-2014, 08:03 PM
UNC also didn't lose to a lower seed.

Hard to lose to a lower seed in the 2nd round when you are the 6th seed.

CameronBornAndBred
Much better day!!! I am having thoughts of all the conspiracy theories Heels fans are coming up with about the way that game ended. :p

OZ
impossible to get to IC.

Perhaps it has been shut down for a cooling off period.

DBFAN
03-23-2014, 08:04 PM
Don't call doomsday yet about the UNC/ISU match up. Hoiberg is a genius. My hubby is an ISU grad. He'll have an ace in his pocket. I'm thinking positive. It's not the end yet.

Please forgive me for my lack of faith...:)

BlueDevilBrowns
03-23-2014, 08:06 PM
I don't know, the point of going to IC is not necessarily to gloat or annoy them. For me, it's simply to watch them implode.

NO fan base melts down like the Heels.

Now, perhaps we can provide them with some objective advice on how Roy and the staff should have put the team in a better position to succeed and maybe, with hard work and few good breaks, they'll improve next year.

And do it in a completely non-condescending way. :rolleyes: I mean, they're so helpful to us in those situations.

wsb3
03-23-2014, 08:07 PM
I could not take the suspense so actually heard the final decision about game on the radio. Is there anywhere online to watch a replay of the game, actually just the last minutes? And if so is there a delay?

Please help if you have information. Been a rough weekend and I sure would like to wind down with an adult beverage and watch them lose.

grossbus
03-23-2014, 08:09 PM
"For me, it's simply to watch them implode. "

precisely

i never comment there.

FerryFor50
03-23-2014, 08:09 PM
I don't know, the point of going to IC is not necessarily to gloat or annoy them. For me, it's simply to watch them implode.

NO fan base melts down like the Heels.

Now, perhaps we can provide them with some objective advice on how Roy and the staff should have put the team in a better position to succeed and maybe, with hard work and few good breaks, they'll improve next year.

And do it in a completely non-condescending way. :rolleyes: I mean, they're so helpful to us in those situations.

It is practically impossible. You post there after a loss as a Duke fan, you pretty much get an instant ban.

Watching the implosion is the best part.

Reilly
03-23-2014, 08:10 PM
Much better day!!! I am having thoughts of all the conspiracy theories Heels fans are coming up with about the way that game ended. :p

Iowa State has sort of the same colors as FSU. So, making Roy & Co. spend a few extra minutes on the floor when the game was actually over before telling them it was over and letting them leave was a nice counter-balance to when he skipped out early and left Blue Steel to fend for themselves.

jipops
03-23-2014, 08:10 PM
Given the end to our season, I don't see much reason to try to gloat over there. It stunk for us when we lost; it stinks for them that they lost. Best to just leave it be.

I agree. Take the high road.

OZ
03-23-2014, 08:16 PM

Agree.

Atlanta Duke
03-23-2014, 08:20 PM
I could not take the suspense so actually heard the final decision about game on the radio. Is there anywhere online to watch a replay of the game, actually just the last minutes? And if so is there a delay?

Please help if you have information. Been a rough weekend and I sure would like to wind down with an adult beverage and watch them lose.

If you sign up for NCAA March Madness streaming video (no charge) you can watch replays of all games in addition to live streaming

http://www.ncaa.com/march-madness-live/

UNC game is already up and you can scroll ahead to the end

FerryFor50
03-23-2014, 08:24 PM
Anyone know if UNC has hung a banner yet for making it farther in the tournament than Duke?

davekay1971
03-23-2014, 08:27 PM
Anyone know if UNC has hung a banner yet for making it farther in the tournament than Duke?

No, but their fans will celebrate it all winter.

Give the Heels (the players, not the loathsome fan base) their due. Marcus Paige made them a very respectable team and they have nothing to hang their heads about.

Now I'm going to cheer on the Hoos. I'd love to see them do the ACC proud and win the whole thing.

Reisen
03-23-2014, 08:28 PM
My 3 y/o, seeing Kennedy Meeks after the game:

"Daddy! That boy can't play basketball, he's so fat!"

I about died laughing, then told her it wasn't nice to call people fat.

That said, I thought Roy handled the weird ending well.

wavedukefan70s
03-23-2014, 08:32 PM
Part if me actually wanted them to squeak that game out .the ACC argument for more teams being selected took a nose dive.the conference looked real weak.go Virginia win it all.

FerryFor50
03-23-2014, 08:35 PM
Part if me actually wanted them to squeak that game out .the ACC argument for more teams being selected took a nose dive.the conference looked real weak.go Virginia win it all.

Rules for a Duke fan

1a. Root for Duke to win
1b. Root for UNC to lose
2. Everything else

_Gary
03-23-2014, 08:38 PM
Rules for a Duke fan

1a. Root for Duke to win
1b. Root for UNC to lose
2. Everything else

Yep. Therefore my reaction to the end of the ISU/UNC game is - hahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a great day! Well, other than UK winning (which I'll never be happy about unless it's against the Heels).

BlueDevilBrowns
03-23-2014, 08:40 PM

So having just perused IC the past few minutes, the reason UNC lost was due to the following:

1. The refs(of course)
2. The NCAA(should be dissolved according to some)
3. Steve Kerr(not kidding)
4. Roy doesn't coach defense(even though this was the best defensive UNC team in years)

Also, they think Johnny Dawkins looks like Coach K(again, not making that up).

Seriously, we have so many high-level, professional posters on this site, sometimes I feel pretty intellectually inferior(rightfully so) when giving my opinions here. But, then, I go over to IC and, instantly I scream to myself ... "I. AM. THE. SMARTEST. MAN. ALIVE!!!"(just like Billy Madison).

Wheat/"/"/"
03-23-2014, 08:44 PM
IC has software issues with the Scout network, and they have for weeks now. I'm a premium member and I can promise you IC is not happy about it.

Got to credit Iowa St. for making the comeback and hitting some big 3's. They didn't quit and made the plays to win.

Disappointing end to a season where I think Roy did a fine job of getting them to over achieve.

This UNC team had a lot of weaknesses that Roy was able to work around about as well as you could have hoped.

In the end, in this game, I thought it came down to a problem they had all season...finishing at the rim.

There were way too many opportunities missed in the second half inside. Missed chippies to extend the lead, and then St. would come down and score to keep it close for the end game heroics. Mainly Meeks and McAdoo were the culprits today. Meeks will look at the film from this season and see why it's so important that he get into better shape, because his finishing problems are not from lack of touch, just lack of power...and McAdoo just needs to keep working on not rushing his shot and staying focused. It was good to see him confidently knock down those FT's to tie it up, that will help him down the road.

Many wrote this team off after losing PJ, but they didn't quit and got better as the season went on. I particularly like the freshman Britt's steady play, it was under appreciated by some...he'll have to work hard on his shot this off season, but he's gonna be a really good 4 year player.

Brice Johnson's injury was unfortunate, but that stuff happens. Hopefully he will mature over this summer and learn to play harder to take advantage of his considerable skills.

Gonna be a long off season....always is, I guess.

wavedukefan70s
03-23-2014, 08:45 PM
So having just perused IC the past few minutes, the reason UNC lost was due to the following:

1. The refs(of course)
2. The NCAA(should be dissolved according to some)
3. Steve Kerr(not kidding)
4. Roy doesn't coach defense(even though this was the best defensive UNC team in years)

Seriously, we have so many high-level, professional posters on this site, sometimes I feel pretty intellectually inferior(rightfully so) when giving my opinions here. But, then, I go over to IC and, instantly I scream to myself ... "I. AM. THE. SMARTEST. MAN. ALIVE!!!"(just like Billy Madison).

They are afraid J.D. Will be our next coach lol

CameronBornAndBred
03-23-2014, 08:46 PM

During the Stanford game, one of the posters here, and a die hard Duke fan, texted me the exact same thing.:D

diveonthefloor
03-23-2014, 08:49 PM
They are afraid J.D. Will be our next coach lol

Whom do those folks think Tommy Amaker looks like?
:cool:

BlueDevilBrowns
03-23-2014, 08:52 PM
IC has software issues with the Scout network, and they have for weeks now. I'm a premium member and I can promise you IC is not happy about it.

Got to credit Iowa St. for making the comeback and hitting some big 3's. They didn't quit and made the plays to win.

Disappointing end to a season where I think Roy did a fine job of getting them to over achieve.

This UNC team had a lot of weaknesses that Roy was able to work around about as well as you could have hoped.

In the end, in this game, I thought it came down to a problem they had all season...finishing at the rim.

There were way too many opportunities missed in the second half inside. Missed chippies to extend the lead, and then St. would come down and score to keep it close for the end game heroics. Mainly Meeks and McAdoo were the culprits today. Meeks will look at the film from this season and see why it's so important that he get into better shape, because his finishing problems are not from lack of touch, just lack of power...and McAdoo just needs to keep working on not rushing his shot and staying focused. It was good to see him confidently knock down those FT's to tie it up, that will help him down the road.

Many wrote this team off after losing PJ, but they didn't quit and got better as the season went on. I particularly like the freshman Britt's steady play, it was under appreciated by some...he'll have to work hard on his shot this off season, but he's gonna be a really good 4 year player.

Brice Johnson's injury was unfortunate, but that stuff happens. Hopefully he will mature over this summer and learn to play harder to take advantage of his considerable skills.

All jokes aside, UNC did have a successful season, especially after their 1-4 start in the conference. Instead of another 2010 season, Roy was able to right the ship and turn this, potentially, into a real stepping stone to more success next year. It was the best coaching job I've seen Roy do since he's been at UNC.

To me, UNC defense and Paige's play were the keys to the season. For next year, the good defense should continue as the majority of the team will be back. But, the question is, of course, Mr. Paige. When UNC won, it was because of Marcus. When they lost, it was because of Marcus.

So, if Paige returns, this is top-3 ACC finish and Top 10 quality team. If he goes pro(I think a real possibility), then UNC is back to square-1.

Also, big props to you, Wheat, for posting here so quickly after a tough, tough, loss.

DBFAN
03-23-2014, 09:00 PM
One if the first things I tweeted and put on FB was how well I thought Roy handled that situation. It was a class move

I'm pretty sure if it was us K would still be out there yelling..lol

devildeac
03-23-2014, 09:01 PM
Was my wife correct in telling me that the announcers said that unc still had 2 TO left with 1.6 seconds on the clock? I couldn't bring myself to watch it except the replays of the last 1.6 glorious seconds.

If so, what was ol roy thinking-that he could save them until next season or sell them to one of the remaining teams in the NCAAT?

FerryFor50
03-23-2014, 09:04 PM
Was my wife correct in telling me that the announcers said that unc still had 2 TO left with 1.6 seconds on the clock? I couldn't bring myself to watch it except the replays of the last 1.6 glorious seconds.

If so, what was ol roy thinking-that he could save them until next season or sell them to one of the remaining teams in the NCAAT?

Kinda makes up for the Webber timeout gift they got in 1993...

Wheat/"/"/"
03-23-2014, 09:06 PM
All jokes aside, UNC did have a successful season, especially after their 1-4 start in the conference. Instead of another 2010 season, Roy was able to right the ship and turn this, potentially, into a real stepping stone to more success next year. It was the best coaching job I've seen Roy do since he's been at UNC.

To me, UNC defense and Paige's play were the keys to the season. For next year, the good defense should continue as the majority of the team will be back. But, the question is, of course, Mr. Paige. When UNC won, it was because of Marcus. When they lost, it was because of Marcus.

So, if Paige returns, this is top-3 ACC finish and Top 10 quality team. If he goes pro(I think a real possibility), then UNC is back to square-1.

Also, big props to you, Wheat, for posting here so quickly after a tough, tough, loss.

I don't think Paige is a sure first round pick, as much as I like him, he needs more strength, so it's highly unlikely he's gone.

Gotta like that kid. Here's a emotional interview (http://northcarolina.scout.com/2/1387075.html)from him that IC just put up.

Atlanta Duke
03-23-2014, 09:07 PM

The post in that thread about Nate James and Wojo was in particularly good taste

FerryFor50
03-23-2014, 09:08 PM
I don't think Paige is a sure first round pick, as much as I like him, he needs more strength, so it's highly unlikely he's gone.

Gotta like that kid. Here's a emotional interview (http://northcarolina.scout.com/2/1387075.html)from him that IC just put up.

Yea it is real hard to dislike Paige, other than when he woofed at the crowd when they beat NCSU. Knowing state fans, they probably deserved it, though.

Wheat/"/"/"
03-23-2014, 09:08 PM

Doc, Roy was doing everything he could to get the TO, didn't look like the refs saw him.

Atlanta Duke
03-23-2014, 09:11 PM

True that for all the Triangle ACC teams

richardjackson199
03-23-2014, 09:13 PM

If I was an NBA GM, I'd absolutely take Paige in the first round as clutch and money as he has consistently proven to be. I have never seen him listed on any NBA mock draft boards. Is Paige jumping seriously being considered (by anyone other than overly-optimistic fantasyland Duke fans like me)?

jipops
03-23-2014, 09:14 PM

That part of me died a long, long, long time ago. Was pushed down the stairs or something.

Wheat/"/"/"
03-23-2014, 09:24 PM
If I was an NBA GM, I'd absolutely take Paige in the first round as clutch and money as he has consistently proven to be. I have never seen him listed on any NBA mock draft boards. Is Paige jumping seriously being considered (by anyone other than overly-optimistic fantasyland Duke fans like me)?

This mock 2015 draft (http://nbadraft.net/2015mock_draft)has him late first round.

CatDevil
03-23-2014, 09:32 PM
I cannot go there ever! Every game, Every time....GTHC. Sorry if this makes me a poor sport. I avoid attending the tournament games just so I don't have to listen to the whining and jabs of the holes. This year was soooo nice. Most UNC fans did not return after their demise on Friday. Had a great time all three days with the kids...just wish Sunday Championship game had a different ending. At least football is just around the corner....we enjoy catching the lacrosse from time to time too.

GO DUKE!

CameronBornAndBred
03-23-2014, 09:34 PM
This mock 2015 draft (http://nbadraft.net/2015mock_draft)has him late first round.
Go Marcus, go! ;) He will be scary good this time next year.

_Gary
03-23-2014, 09:39 PM
As someone who only has Marcus' best interest at heart, I have to tell him he should go. I mean, I have it on good authority he's a high first-round pick. So Marcus, even though it pains me to say this: Go, and don't look back.

FerryFor50
03-23-2014, 09:42 PM

NashvilleDevil
03-23-2014, 09:44 PM
Yep. Therefore my reaction to the end of the ISU/UNC game is - hahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a great day! Well, other than UK winning (which I'll never be happy about unless it's against the Heels).

This is a weird one for me, if Carolina and Kentucky had played in the title game this year I would have been for Carolina. However, when UK beat Carolina in the Elite Eight in the Black Falcon's freshmen year I was all in with Kentucky because of the loathing of said BF.

moonpie23
03-23-2014, 09:47 PM
r I would have been for Carolina.

i'm very sorry you're not feeling well...i know it's been a tough weekend for all of us, but it sounds as though you could use the help of a medical professioinal.

again, i hope you get some help soon......

_Gary
03-23-2014, 09:48 PM
This is a weird one for me, if Carolina and Kentucky had played in the title game this year I would have been for Carolina. However, when UK beat Carolina in the Elite Eight in the Black Falcon's freshmen year I was all in with Kentucky because of the loathing of said BF.

As much as I despise Kentucky (Cal in particular), I just can't ever see myself rooting for Carolina. That's just one of those "under no circumstances" deals for me.

hurleyfor3
03-23-2014, 09:49 PM
I don't really mind Kentucky. They could win the next 47 national championships and they'd still be wearing "I Still Hate Laettner" shirts. Their fans are their own worst enemy.

Let 'em win, they'll still find something to complain about. Oh wait, they wanted to go 40-0, they already have something to complain about.

eddiehaskell
03-23-2014, 09:57 PM
This mock 2015 draft (http://nbadraft.net/2015mock_draft)has him late first round.Hmm, I was wondering why he'd want to come out as a possible 28 pick, but looking up the pay scale, getting into the first round guarantees about $2M in salary with a team option to make another $1M...not a bad way to start out life!

I wonder what NBA scouts don't see in him? My guess is that's it's because he is 6'0" and according to some of the ACC announcers about 150 lbs (probably closer to 160). In today's NBA, this is really undersized unless one is lightning quick. Ty Lawson is only 5'11" but he's much quicker, stronger and close to 200 lbs.

It seems that UNC players being considered fringe NBA material is really going to help UNC. Paige will likely come back and McAdoo is no longer listed in mock drafts as a first rounder (once was top ~15). This means the entire team minus Leslie McDonald will be back.

UNC will be one of the most experienced teams in the country.

McAdoo - SR
Paige - JR
Brice Johnson - JR
Tokoto - JR
Jackson Simmons - SR
Joel James - JR
Luke Davis - SR

With the 8th and 10th ranked (ESPN top-100) high school players coming in, UNC should be preseason top 5, IMO. Duke vs UNC will be fun next year.

Duke79UNLV77
03-23-2014, 10:10 PM
Hmm, I was wondering why he'd want to come out as a possible 28 pick, but looking up the pay scale, getting into the first round guarantees about $2M in salary with a team option to make another $1M...not a bad way to start out life!

I wonder what NBA scouts don't see in him? My guess is that's it's because he is 6'0" and according to some of the ACC announcers about 150 lbs (probably closer to 160). In today's NBA, this is really undersized unless one is lightning quick. Ty Lawson is only 5'11" but he's much quicker, stronger and close to 200 lbs.

I think it's because he's a great college scoring guard trapped in a small NBA point guard's body. Really, not unlike Nolan Smith.

Wheat/"/"/"
03-23-2014, 10:19 PM
Hmm, I was wondering why he'd want to come out as a possible 28 pick, but looking up the pay scale, getting into the first round guarantees about $2M in salary with a team option to make another $1M...not a bad way to start out life!

It seems that UNC players being considered fringe NBA material is really going to help UNC. Paige will likely come back and McAdoo is no longer listed in mock drafts as a first rounder (once was top ~15). This means the entire team minus Leslie McDonald will be back.

UNC will be one of the most experienced teams in the country.

McAdoo - SR
Paige - JR
Brice Johnson - JR
Tokoto - JR
Jackson Simmons - SR
Joel James - JR
Luke Davis - SR

With the 8th and 10th ranked (ESPN top-100) high school players coming in, UNC should be preseason top 5, IMO. Duke vs UNC will be fun next year.

I think McAdoo will be a first rounder, but it will be after his Sr. year.

I'm looking for a breakout year from a much more aggressive Tokoto next season. He has NBA talent and I bet he's gonna show up on the mock drafts next year too.

Offensively, he bought into Roy's coaching and the team concept by being disciplined with his shot selection this season. Now he's got to work hard and get a lot of gym work in to improve his shooting, but we saw a nice stroke starting to take hold as the season went along. When he gets more freedom to create, he's going to be a very tough matchup.

Brice Johnson has lots of upside too.

devildeac
03-23-2014, 10:30 PM
Kinda makes up for the Webber timeout gift they got in 1993...

Kinda. But not quite. Few more of those saved TO that hurt them would be nice next year. And the year or ten after that;).

devildeac
03-23-2014, 10:33 PM
Doc, Roy was doing everything he could to get the TO, didn't look like the refs saw him.

I may be mis-remembering this but kinda like luckie and/or eades ignoring K's attempt to get a TO at an important point in the ACCT final game. (But keen enough to see him toss a marker:mad:.) But I digress.

Furniture
03-23-2014, 11:08 PM

It's heartbreaking to see any of these kids after they lose. Anyway this young man Paige is a very well spoken atlete and represents himself and his school very well.

ncexnyc
03-23-2014, 11:43 PM
It was only fitting that someone with the last name of Kane was largely responsible for the heels going down tonight.;)

UrinalCake
03-24-2014, 01:01 AM
My reaction to the Carolina loss was more relief than jubilation. It would have been a really, really tough week ahead if they were still alive. Even though they made it farther than us, this at least closes the floodgates a little as far as how much heat I'll be taking at the office from their fans.

Coming into this season I felt that if they didn't have PJ they'd be a borderline top-25 team and possibly miss the tournament. I think they exceeded those expectations. There's no shame in a 6 seed losing to a 3 in a very close game. More importantly, they've developed some really strong pieces to build on for next year. Much moreso than us, I'm afraid to say, unless Parker or Hood return unexpectedly.

SoCalDukeFan
03-24-2014, 01:55 AM

Roy's ACC Coach of the Year Runner Up banner.

Teams - ACC Tournament Quarterfinalist Banner

Teams - ACC Season 4th Place Banner.

SoCal

brevity
03-24-2014, 02:02 AM

If history is any indication, the refs probably did not expect Roy to ever call a timeout.

Further?

oldnavy
03-24-2014, 06:46 AM

Yes he was.

Here's the thing about that however. UNC had the ball out of bounds with the clock stopped. Why not take one of the two timeouts there if in fact you planned on taking a time out at all? I would understand not taking the TO if you wanted to push the ball up and take a final shot before the defense was set, but since it appears that Roy wanted a TO at half court to set up something, it really makes no sense to not use the first one to gather the players, AND let the refs know that you intend to call a TO once the ball is inbounded.

Takes all the guess work out of it...

Anyway, just nit picking at this point, there was a very little chance of UNC winning the game with 1.6 seconds left no matter what Roy did.

Congrats to UNC on a very good year. They did much better than I would have thought and Paige is an amazing talent. I hope he goes pro, because I don't want to face him again!!

jv001
03-24-2014, 08:45 AM
Yeh, it's too bad that old roy can't develop those guys. He can't teach those big buys good low post moves. Anyone know who this sounds like?:cool: GoDuke!

UrinalCake
03-24-2014, 09:14 AM
Yeh, it's too bad that old roy can't develop those guys. He can't teach those big buys good low post moves. Anyone know who this sounds like?:cool: GoDuke!

They also had an eight-point lead with under six minutes remaining and then couldn't get a stop. The winning bucket came on a guard driving right past his man and getting a layup. Call it bizarro world.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-24-2014, 09:18 AM
I know we are all piling on UNC - partly because it's fun and partly out of our own frustration - but that Meeks kid is going to be really good the next few years. He plays smart basketball.

Wheat/"/"/"
03-24-2014, 09:19 AM

Poor low post play, offensively and defensively, did hurt UNC this year for sure.

Playing well in the post is important for every team to do well.

flyingdutchdevil
03-24-2014, 09:42 AM
Poor low post play, offensively and defensively, did hurt UNC this year for sure.

Playing well in the post is important for every team to do well.

Including Duke. No easy buckets translates into a more risky gameplan.

Fortunately, we have a big dude coming to Duke next year.

rsvman
03-24-2014, 10:06 AM
From my perspective, this was one time where he would have been much better off saving that time-out.

Why allow the other team a chance to set up its defense? They had managed to get the ball across half-court; it was time to toss up the Dockery shot. A time-out on the baseline would've left them with the entire court to traverse against a defense that had a chance to get set. (I know that can work, but I thought quickly inbounding the ball and getting off the best possible shot without allowing the other team to prepare might've been the most advantageous thing to do in that situation.) In any case, advancing the ball past half-court and then calling a time-out was a failed strategy from the outset.

MaxAMillion
03-24-2014, 10:11 AM
They also had an eight-point lead with under six minutes remaining and then couldn't get a stop. The winning bucket came on a guard driving right past his man and getting a layup. Call it bizarro world.

Absolutely, Roy trots out nothing but high school all-americans and yet he loses to a team without their key big man. UNC finishes the year as a 6 seed in the tournament and they lose in the first round of the ACC tournament yet he knows what he is doing while Coach K is an old stubborn codger. Amazing...

Kfanarmy
03-24-2014, 10:13 AM
Including Duke. No easy buckets translates into a more risky gameplan.

Fortunately, we have a big dude coming to Duke next year.

Duke had a big dude this year.

FerryFor50
03-24-2014, 10:33 AM

Yea, but he wasn't Okafor big. Parker was more of a wing type player than a post guy.

moonpie23
03-24-2014, 10:40 AM

they've seen that (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf41f8uxu6k) before !! :)

seriously, tho……i'm not going to go over to IC to gloat (well, since i've been BANNED) but i'm just thankful they didn't advance….

hopefully, this will be a lesson for all the smack talkers on THIS BOARD singing their demise WAY too early……..let's not forget that ….

NashvilleDevil
03-24-2014, 11:00 AM
Yea, but he wasn't Okafor big. Parker was more of a wing type player than a post guy.

I think he is referring to one Marshall Plumlee.

CDu
03-24-2014, 11:03 AM

I believe he was referring to Plumlee, who is actually taller than Okafor (and no lightweight either).

That being said, Okafor appears to have MUCH more offensive game than Plumlee has ever shown. So there's that.

gumbomoop
03-24-2014, 11:05 AM

I'm guessing Kfanarmy was referring to Plumlee.

I'm a Plumlee fan - who on EK isn't? - and expect strong play from him next season. Oakafor probably won't go for 30 mpg; maybe more like 28. That would leave 12 for Plumlee. And maybe for a few minutes we'd see some Twin Towers, especially if, say, Marshall up at high post can effectively see and throw it over the top to Okafor. That can be practiced, over and over, in practice. Don't see why that wouldn't be a play worth playing once each half.

FerryFor50
03-24-2014, 11:13 AM
I'm guessing Kfanarmy was referring to Plumlee.

I'm a Plumlee fan - who on EK isn't? - and expect strong play from him next season. Oakafor probably won't go for 30 mpg; maybe more like 28. That would leave 12 for Plumlee. And maybe for a few minutes we'd see some Twin Towers, especially if, say, Marshall up at high post can effectively see and throw it over the top to Okafor. That can be practiced, over and over, in practice. Don't see why that wouldn't be a play worth playing once each half.

Yea, perhaps he was.

Hopefully he steps it up a notch next season and Duke can employ a "twin towers" set on occasion with him and Okafor. With Okafor's offense, Plumlee's deficiencies won't be as big of a deal.

Honestly, I'd stick Okafor at the top, though. Okafor has an outside jumper, where Plumlee does not. Teams will back off Plumlee and collapse on Okafor.

uh_no
03-24-2014, 02:01 PM
Further?

farther is acceptable here.

CDu
03-24-2014, 02:16 PM
Yea, perhaps he was.

Hopefully he steps it up a notch next season and Duke can employ a "twin towers" set on occasion with him and Okafor. With Okafor's offense, Plumlee's deficiencies won't be as big of a deal.

Honestly, I'd stick Okafor at the top, though. Okafor has an outside jumper, where Plumlee does not. Teams will back off Plumlee and collapse on Okafor.

Count me in the camp that does not want to see much of that "twin towers" lineup. Unless we for some reason switch to zone. I shudder to think about Plumlee or Okafor having to guard a guy like Justin Anderson when UVa goes a bit smaller, or getting caught on a switch on a guard.

You can get away with one plodding big man on the court and playing pressure man-to-man. But you add a second one to the mix and you're going to have real trouble avoiding a mismatch.

I'm very happy that we'll be able to have a really big big man on the court at all times. But just one is enough; two is too much.

FerryFor50
03-24-2014, 02:20 PM
farther is acceptable here.

Boom goes the dynamite!

SoCalDukeFan
03-24-2014, 03:40 PM
I agree with those that say that the time out either should have been called right after the shot went in and before the clock started or not called at all and hope the player makes the long shot.

I never ever root for uncch so I was happy with the outcome.

What was the clock operator thinking? I know its tough to start the clock at the instant the ball goes in bounds but that guy was one or maybe two seconds behind. What if NC had thown up a prayer that went in and looked good from the clock but on replay was after the game was over because of the late clock. Horrible work by that guy and NCAA should have better people on the job for the tournament.

I also thought Roy showed real class. I am pretty sure Boeheim would have uttered his favorite 8 letter word. Not sure how K would have reacted.

SoCal

Wheat/"/"/"
03-24-2014, 04:05 PM
I agree with those that say that the time out either should have been called right after the shot went in and before the clock started or not called at all and hope the player makes the long shot.

I never ever root for uncch so I was happy with the outcome.

What was the clock operator thinking? I know its tough to start the clock at the instant the ball goes in bounds but that guy was one or maybe two seconds behind. What if NC had thown up a prayer that went in and looked good from the clock but on replay was after the game was over because of the late clock. Horrible work by that guy and NCAA should have better people on the job for the tournament.

I also thought Roy showed real class. I am pretty sure Boeheim would have uttered his favorite 8 letter word. Not sure how K would have reacted.

SoCal

Not sure what's true, but I've heard that Roy was trying to get the TO before the inbound play, but that Simmons missed it....which would have been a UNC error.....and then Britt looked at the clock, which was late to start, and thought he had time to advance it before calling for the TO...which would have been an operator error.

At the end of the day it all didn't cause UNC to lose. Iowa St.'s clutch shooting and UNC's turnovers in the late game did them in.

CDu
03-24-2014, 04:50 PM
Not sure what's true, but I've heard that Roy was trying to get the TO before the inbound play, but that Simmons missed it....which would have been a UNC error.....and then Britt looked at the clock, which was late to start, and thought he had time to advance it before calling for the TO...which would have been an operator error.

I agree with this. I would put no blame on Britt in this scenario. He was trying to get the ball across half court while watching the clock. It's not HIS fault the clock operator goofed.

The ball shouldn't have been inbounded to a guy standing near the free throw line. It should have been either inbounded to half court or they should have called a timeout immediately and set up the inbounds play.

So the "fault" is on UNC for the inbound pass and/or lack of immediate timeout and the clock operator for the woefully inadequate management of the clock.

At the end of the day it all didn't cause UNC to lose. Iowa St.'s clutch shooting and UNC's turnovers in the late game did them in.

Agree with this as well. Even if they get the timeout with half a second left at half court, we're talking about a VERY unlikely basket to tie or win. Possibly, but VERY unlikely. The game was basically lost prior to that particular end-game mishap.