PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to Tommy and Johnny!

NashvilleDevil
03-21-2014, 04:05 PM
Both are on to the next round. Big win for Johnny against former Georgia Tech guard Noodles Neal.

Henderson
03-21-2014, 08:16 PM
Tommy can probably stay at Harvard as long as he likes. They're building a new basketball arena that seats over 3,000, replacing the current gym that seats only 2,195. Johnny probably cemented himself today at Stanford for a couple more years, though he's got an AD with an itchy trigger finger.

dukelifer
03-22-2014, 10:50 PM
Tommy can probably stay at Harvard as long as he likes. They're building a new basketball arena that seats over 3,000, replacing the current gym that seats only 2,195. Johnny probably cemented himself today at Stanford for a couple more years, though he's got an AD with an itchy trigger finger.

Tommy in a dogfight with Izzo

Not tonight- Harvard played well though

MCFinARL
03-22-2014, 11:00 PM
Looks like not quite enough juice for Harvard but a very respectable showing against the team that many think will will the tournament. Harvard plays a very good game of basketball.

bedeviled
03-22-2014, 11:08 PM
MSU did a Dunk City impression in the first half, but Harvard came out with great focus and energy in the second half. Harvard looked great. Very impressive performance. Fantastic guard play.

JasonEvans
03-23-2014, 09:08 AM
Harvard came out with great focus and energy in the second half. Harvard looked great. Very impressive performance. Fantastic guard play.

Anyone who does not think Harvard was among the top 25 teams in the country was not paying attention to that game or to what they did against Cincy. This was no fluke of a team rising up to play above its head or an opponent overlooking an underdog. They were legitimately able to play with top tier teams.

Mad props to Tommy for building a remarkably strong program there. They lose three key players in Curry, Casey, and Rivard but return a pretty good nucleus including Ivy Player of the Year Wesley Saunders. I fully expect them to be back in the tourney again next year.

-Jason "oh, and I am clear on who I think should replace K when the time comes many years in the future (I hope)... Tommy is the man!" Evans

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-23-2014, 01:02 PM
Johnny pushing Kansas nearing the half.

Nice to have someone to root for!

MCFinARL
03-23-2014, 01:27 PM
Anyone who does not think Harvard was among the top 25 teams in the country was not paying attention to that game or to what they did against Cincy. This was no fluke of a team rising up to play above its head or an opponent overlooking an underdog. They were legitimately able to play with top tier teams.

Mad props to Tommy for building a remarkably strong program there. They lose three key players in Curry, Casey, and Rivard but return a pretty good nucleus including Ivy Player of the Year Wesley Saunders. I fully expect them to be back in the tourney again next year.

-Jason "oh, and I am clear on who I think should replace K when the time comes many years in the future (I hope)... Tommy is the man!" Evans

Agree that would be great--but I'm not sure Amaker would be smart to take it. Being the coach to follow Coach K is going to be a major challenge.

dukelifer
03-23-2014, 01:53 PM
Johnny pushing Kansas nearing the half.

Nice to have someone to root for!

More than pushing right now - where did that zone come from?

NSDukeFan
03-23-2014, 02:05 PM
Agree that would be great--but I'm not sure Amaker would be smart to take it. Being the coach to follow Coach K is going to be a major challenge.

I think as long as the new coach wins a championship ever 8 or 9 years, makes the final four every 3 or 4 years, wins 25 games and makes the tournament every year, wins the ACC every 3 years or so, runs a clean program that encourages education, is always in the top 25, almost always in the top ten, he will have almost nothing to fear, except of course, not being as good as his predecessor.

Gthoma2a
03-23-2014, 02:36 PM
Kansas is out.

dukelifer
Heck of a game. Johnny is moving on. Wiggins had a horrible game to end his college career - wow!

Dr. Rosenrosen
Johnny!

jacone21
03-23-2014, 02:38 PM
Something about team ball! Good defense on that last shot. Wow!

moonpie23
03-23-2014, 02:39 PM
jayhawks looked good...

:)

dukelifer
Johnny!
Has a good chance at a final 8!

Atlanta Duke
I believe that qualifies as a signature win:)

Congratulations to Coach Dawkins - announcers praising his game plan against Kansas

grossbus
03-23-2014, 02:43 PM
as noted above, wiggins had a worse game than jabari.

MCFinARL
03-23-2014, 02:45 PM
Very happy with the Stanford win. Not only is Dawkins from the Coach K coaching tree (zone defense notwithstanding), but it's a senior-laden, teamwork-oriented team.

Wiggins' last game made Parker's look good. If Wichita takes care of Kentucky, none of the glam freshmen will advance to the Sweet 16.

OldSchool
03-23-2014, 02:47 PM
as noted above, wiggins had a worse game than jabari.

I'll say. Johnny D held Wiggins to 4 points, 4 rebounds and 4 turnovers, even giving up several inches in height and a few decades in age.

ancienteagle
03-23-2014, 02:55 PM
Johnny!

As my kids would say, "Trees Rule! Birds Drool!"

Duvall
03-23-2014, 03:02 PM
I think as long as the new coach wins a championship ever 8 or 9 years, makes the final four every 3 or 4 years, wins 25 games and makes the tournament every year, wins the ACC every 3 years or so, runs a clean program that encourages education, is always in the top 25, almost always in the top ten, he will have almost nothing to fear, except of course, not being as good as his predecessor.

Pretty funny. Has any coach ever met that standard at any school?

dukelifer
03-23-2014, 03:12 PM
Very happy with the Stanford win. Not only is Dawkins from the Coach K coaching tree (zone defense notwithstanding), but it's a senior-laden, teamwork-oriented team.

Wiggins' last game made Parker's look good. If Wichita takes care of Kentucky, none of the glam freshmen will advance to the Sweet 16.
Gordon is still in it.

CameronBornAndBred
03-23-2014, 03:39 PM
Thank you, JD, for keeping this tourney worth watching and giving me a team to follow! :)

MCFinARL
03-23-2014, 08:58 PM
Gordon is still in it.

And, as it turns out, Randle is still in it, along with the other Kentucky frosh. They played about their best game of the year today to beat a very tough Wichita team--a really good game, even if I might have preferred a different outcome.

Tough weekend for the Wiggins family.

Atlanta Duke
03-23-2014, 09:21 PM
Nice story on the Stanford win and Coach K advising JD before his first tournament game as a head coach to "share your stories" with his team.

One such story sticks with the Cardinal players....

“I will never forget… Danny Meagher,” Dawkins begins....

Meagher explained: “This is it for me,” Dawkins remembers him saying. “This was my last opportunity.”

“We need all of our players thinking of themselves as seniors, not as freshmen and sophomores,” Dawkins continues. “If we can all have that feeling, we’ll play with that sense of desperation that is required to be successful.”

http://college-basketball.si.com/201...ess/?eref=sihp

Any story with a Danny Meagher reference is a good story:)

hurleyfor3
03-23-2014, 09:25 PM

K, Dean, Wooden, maybe Rupp. Although in none of those cases was the success evenly distributed. Roy's done it so far at unc.

So you only need to be one of the four or five best coaches ever.

CameronBornAndBred
03-23-2014, 09:31 PM

Roy's done it so far at unc.

Really? Not saying he's a bad coach, but he does not meet the standards set by the OP.

NashvilleDevil
03-23-2014, 09:35 PM
Don't know if anyone saw this or heard about it. But during the press conference yesterday, Andrew Wiggins and Wayne Selden were asked about Stanford's point guard Chasson Randle and they preceded to giggle and say they did not know who he was. Now granted these are kids that probably do not follow Pac12 basketball and to them Stanford was just the next victim on their way to the Final Four. But I got a great sense of satisfaction that Kansas is going home brought down by the team coached by my all time favorite Duke player and Andrew Wiggins had an abysmal game in the process.

DukieInKansas
03-24-2014, 09:53 AM
Don't know if anyone saw this or heard about it. But during the press conference yesterday, Andrew Wiggins and Wayne Selden were asked about Stanford's point guard Chasson Randle and they preceded to giggle and say they did not know who he was. Now granted these are kids that probably do not follow Pac12 basketball and to them Stanford was just the next victim on their way to the Final Four. But I got a great sense of satisfaction that Kansas is going home brought down by the team coached by my all time favorite Duke player and Andrew Wiggins had an abysmal game in the process.

They asked Randle about that in the post game press conference. He admitted that he heard/saw that and got some motivation from it. Said Coach told him not to talk about it but Johnny tapped him on the back like it was ok to discuss it. Players need to be wary of providing locker room fodder.

burnspbesq
03-24-2014, 11:25 AM
From the Small World/Life's Little Ironies department: one of the schools actively recruiting Johnny Dawkins' son Aubrey, who is doing a PG year at New Hampton, is ... Dayton.

OldPhiKap
03-26-2014, 08:09 PM
Jay Bilas linked this on a tweet today. Best 15 minutes you may spend today.

http://youtu.be/Y50kQ5GOROs

Still my favorite.

NashvilleDevil
03-26-2014, 08:45 PM
Jay Bilas linked this on a tweet today. Best 15 minutes you may spend today.

http://youtu.be/Y50kQ5GOROs

Still my favorite.

Mine too!

Des Esseintes
03-27-2014, 12:27 AM

K, Dean, Wooden, maybe Rupp. Although in none of those cases was the success evenly distributed. Roy's done it so far at unc.

So you only need to be one of the four or five best coaches ever.

Actually, none of those guys but K qualify. Dean only won two titles over a very long career. Rupp's rep was blackened by the point shaving scandal. Wooden may have been unaware, but truckloads of cash were being funneled to his players. And Roy has spent real time outside the top 25 long after the rebuild from the Doherty years was over, in addition to the general sullying of reputation that's been happening in Chapel Hill this past decade+.

So K's successor will have to be in the top two coaches of all time.

MCFinARL
03-27-2014, 08:44 AM
Very nice story about Johnny Dawkins in the Washington Post today. http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/sweet-16-coaching-is-serious-business-for-stanfords-johnny-dawkins/2014/03/26/f0ccedcc-b51f-11e3-8020-b2d790b3c9e1_story.html

It includes some great details, such as the fact that when Dawkins was growing up his nickname was "the cardiac kid" because he was "as serious as a heart attack," or that his mom thanked Coach K for offering him a scholarship because " 'I'm sick and tired of hearing that boom-dee-boom [Johnny dribbling the basketball around the house] all day long.'"

CameronBornAndBred
03-28-2014, 10:44 AM
Nice post season run by JD in both his conference and NCAA tourneys. Dayton looks to be the real deal, I would love to see them crash the FF party.
Hopefully Stanford fans were, and are, excited about their team this season. Obviously, this was a "must make noise" year for JD, much like K's when JD and company made it to the second round of the tournament. I enjoy the parallels; hopefully Dawkins has some guys coming back that can build on this year's success, just as he did 30 years ago when he played in Cameron.

Henderson
03-28-2014, 11:01 AM
Nice post season run by JD in both his conference and NCAA tourneys. Dayton looks to be the real deal, I would love to see them crash the FF party.
Hopefully Stanford fans were, and are, excited about their team this season. Obviously, this was a "must make noise" year for JD, much like K's when JD and company made it to the second round of the tournament. I enjoy the parallels; hopefully Dawkins has some guys coming back that can build on this year's success, just as he did 30 years ago when he played in Cameron.

Yes, nice post-season run, much needed by JD. I'm very happy for him. I'm also glad for TA's success at Harvard.

But JD's losing a ton of talent to graduation this year. I'm happy that, if we couldn't get Reid Travis, Stanford did.