PDA

View Full Version : DWB: Duke vs Winthrop, round 1 of NCAA

CameronBornAndBred
03-21-2014, 03:55 PM
Even down two (three even?) of our best players, we are still an elite team. We proved that as we beat a solid Heels team on our way to the ACC championship game. I see us making it out of Cameron to the sweet 16, after that it will be interesting, maybe even more fun, to watch. Yeah, yeah, we are in UCONN's bracket, but that is a few games away.
First up is Winthrop, and I don't expect much of a matchup in Cameron. That being said, Duke HAS been tested at home before in the first two rounds. (Pay attention, Tar Heels, UT Martin might bite you!) Early on, Winthrop played #1 seed South Carolina close, losing 69-61, so they can play well against top teams. Looking broadly at their schedule, it looks like they average in the mid 60s for points, while Duke is higher, so those numbers favor us. Anyone know anything about Winthrop beyond what is on paper?

aswewere
03-21-2014, 08:20 PM
Even down two (three even?) of our best players, we are still an elite team. We proved that as we beat a solid Heels team on our way to the ACC championship game. I see us making it out of Cameron to the sweet 16, after that it will be interesting, maybe even more fun, to watch. Yeah, yeah, we are in UCONN's bracket, but that is a few games away.
First up is Winthrop, and I don't expect much of a matchup in Cameron. That being said, Duke HAS been tested at home before in the first two rounds. (Pay attention, Tar Heels, UT Martin might bite you!) Early on, Winthrop played #1 seed South Carolina close, losing 69-61, so they can play well against top teams. Looking broadly at their schedule, it looks like they average in the mid 60s for points, while Duke is higher, so those numbers favor us. Anyone know anything about Winthrop beyond what is on paper?

DWHOOPS slant. http://www.dwhoops.com/Duke/1403202-durham-2014-ncaa-preview.php

AIM4excellence
03-21-2014, 11:14 PM
DWHOOPS slant. http://www.dwhoops.com/Duke/1403202-durham-2014-ncaa-preview.php

The players have to be playing at ACCT level to win the games. Having Ka'lia on the floor really, really helps the defense. She should have been playing all season. I know, who do you take the minutes from to play her? Well, she's playing now so we get to see what she brings. Basically without Chelsea out there, Ka'lia is desperately needed. Glad we developed that box and one. Want to see more game plans to take advantage of a strength like Ka'lia.

CameronBornAndBred
03-22-2014, 11:36 AM
Late in the first half, the women are looking solid. Announcer mentioned that transition D was a focal point during the break, that was nice to hear. It sees to be paying off.

CameronBornAndBred
03-22-2014, 11:48 AM
Awesome half on both sides of the ball, held Winthrop to their least productive half of the season. Even Kara Lawson was impressed.

CameronBornAndBred
03-22-2014, 12:44 PM
With 3 min left and almost a 40 point lead, it's Jenna time. :D

CameronBornAndBred
03-22-2014, 12:50 PM
42 point victory. That works.

chrishoke
03-22-2014, 12:50 PM
Great to see the team smiling, having fun and winning big. Our interior dominated and Tricia was on fire. 87-45 final.

DevilWearsPrada
03-22-2014, 01:19 PM
Great to see the team smiling, having fun and winning big. Our interior dominated and Tricia was on fire. 87-45 final.

The Ladies are playing beautiful basketball (without Chelsea and Alexis). Espn2 showed Rodney Hood sitting and watching the girls play a great game today!

Did Haley roll her ankle? Any update?

Congratulations to the Girls! Survive and Advance!!!

chrishoke
03-22-2014, 01:21 PM
Haley appeared to be fine.

DU82
03-22-2014, 01:39 PM
Haley appeared to be fine.

Haley had her ankle re-taped during the second half, looked OK. (Further edit. Haley is meeting with family in the cort area, looks fine.)

Really solid game against an overmatched team. Two things stood out. One was the freshmen getting into the flow, and providing solid play inside. Second, and perhaps more important, was the team and coaches looked like they were having fun! I've never seen Al Brown laugh like he did during one point in the game. Coach P spent a lot of time talking to Alexis and Becca, keeping them involved.

The challenges with personnel (injuries and dismissal) have forced the coaching staff to make more adjustments than I believe I've seen before. It probably won't get us to Nashville, but it's looking a lot better than it did in late January after the first UNC game.

Watching the second game between DePaul and Oklahoma, first impressions are that the Sooners look like a typical Big 12 physical team, while DePaul is the finesse team of the new Big East.

Something else typical of the Big 12 is the coach's attire. Don't usually see leopard print pants anywhere, let alone on the sidelines.

chrishoke
03-22-2014, 01:54 PM
Good points DU82.

DePaul presses and looks very quick - Oklahoma has looked very good from three. Pick your poison.

DU82
03-22-2014, 02:03 PM
Good points DU82.

DePaul presses and looks very quick - Oklahoma has looked very good from three. Pick your poison.

Both teams shooting a lot of threes. DePaul is making more, up 11 as I type about two minutes left in the half.

DU82
03-22-2014, 02:10 PM
Both teams shooting a lot of threes. DePaul is making more, up 11 as I type about two minutes left in the half.

Oklahoma has shot about 50% threes, DePaul less, just seemed like more. (As they hit another, 6-9 right now)

DePaul 50-34 at the half. DePaul likes pushing it up the court, we'll have to be disciplined on D against them.

CameronBornAndBred
03-22-2014, 02:36 PM
I really enjoyed watching players other than TL take the outside shots today. She was great today, but I am feeling more comfortable about her not being our "only" outside weapon. That is important for the games when they don't all fall for her. I also enjoyed seeing her shoot well from inside the arc. 2 points is still 2 valuable points.

DU82
03-22-2014, 02:51 PM
I really enjoyed watching players other than TL take the outside shots today. She was great today, but I am feeling more comfortable about her not being our "only" outside weapon. That is important for the games when they don't all fall for her. I also enjoyed seeing her shoot well from inside the arc. 2 points is still 2 valuable points.

Ka'lia was 1-3, Amber 1-4, Trish 4-6, Richa and Haley 0-1 each. I know you weren't talking just about 3s, though.

I liked the variety of shots we took and made, great balance and contributions from all. We need that going forward.

Oklahoma cut it to 8 (currently ten at the 12 minute timeout, 73-63.). Both teams pushing pace. Again, we'll see if we can control that on Monday. Not sure with our lack of guards if we can run and shoot as we wanted to earlier in the season.

CameronBornAndBred
03-22-2014, 02:56 PM
Ka'lia was 1-3, Amber 1-4, Trish 4-6, Richa and Haley 0-1 each. I know you weren't talking just about 3s, though.

I liked the variety of shots we took and made, great balance and contributions from all. We need that going forward.

Oklahoma cut it to 8 (currently ten at the 12 minute timeout, 73-63.). Both teams pushing pace. Again, we'll see if we can control that on Monday. Not sure with our lack of guards if we can run and shoot as we wanted to earlier in the season.
Yup. Note, I didn't say "made from outside". ;) But it was nice to seeing others take them. I'm hoping the actual game experience pays off, and will obviously be fodder for the video room. Totally agree with your comments on variety and balance.

MCFinARL
03-22-2014, 02:58 PM
The Ladies are playing beautiful basketball (without Chelsea and Alexis). Espn2 showed Rodney Hood sitting and watching the girls play a great game today!

Did Haley roll her ankle? Any update?

Congratulations to the Girls! Survive and Advance!!!

Glad to see him there, though he looked pretty depressed. Think the commentators said Richa Jackson is his girlfriend.

DU82
03-22-2014, 02:58 PM
And three minutes later, Oklahoma has taken the lead. It looks like it'll be back and forth for a while! Turns out to be a pretty entertaining game.

chrishoke
03-22-2014, 03:20 PM
100-97 DePaul with 18 secs left. Wow.

DU82
03-22-2014, 03:24 PM
100-97 DePaul with 18 secs left. Wow.

DePaul 104-100. Defensive battle. :-)

AIM4excellence
03-22-2014, 06:08 PM
Haley had her ankle re-taped during the second half, looked OK. (Further edit. Haley is meeting with family in the cort area, looks fine.)

Really solid game against an overmatched team. Two things stood out. One was the freshmen getting into the flow, and providing solid play inside. Second, and perhaps more important, was the team and coaches looked like they were having fun! I've never seen Al Brown laugh like he did during one point in the game. Coach P spent a lot of time talking to Alexis and Becca, keeping them involved.

The challenges with personnel (injuries and dismissal) have forced the coaching staff to make more adjustments than I believe I've seen before. It probably won't get us to Nashville, but it's looking a lot better than it did in late January after the first UNC game.

Watching the second game between DePaul and Oklahoma, first impressions are that the Sooners look like a typical Big 12 physical team, while DePaul is the finesse team of the new Big East.

Something else typical of the Big 12 is the coach's attire. Don't usually see leopard print pants anywhere, let alone on the sidelines.

One thing I noted w/r/t more attention to coaching was when Duke got the ball at the end of the first half, up by a lot. McCallie called timeout. Now, I don't know this to be true, but I imagined she told the team "OK - game is tied, 19 secs on the clock, let's execute for the win." Unfortunately they didn't execute (Richa drove in and lost the ball), but I thought it was a good timeout to get everyone thinking about making the big play - the difference between losing and going home vs playing another day. I look for things like that and was pleased to see it today. Also, when three posts were in, Amber was at the wing. Go Amber! She's a good defender and hard to shoot over.

aswewere
03-23-2014, 11:12 AM
Box http://espn.go.com/ncw/boxscore?gameId=400547072

Cooper had her first double/double and left the court at games end
with a ear to ear smile. She is very tight with Chidom and it will be a
joy to watch them play of one another inside the next few years.