PDA

View Full Version : It's here! It's finally here!

flyingdutchdevil
03-20-2014, 09:29 AM
The NCAA Tournament has finally arrived!!! And no, Tuesday/Wednesday games don't count.

My single favorite four-day stretch during any given year starts today!

Who cares if that this tournament costs the US $1.2 billion every hour in lost productivity. It's completely worth it.

Go Cinderallas! Go ACC (except UNC, of course)! Go Duke!

superdave
03-20-2014, 09:50 AM
I am already on the NCAA website in two different browsers so I dont have trouble loading at High Noon today.

Super "Giddyup" Dave

Dukehky
03-20-2014, 09:58 AM
The NCAA Tournament has finally arrived!!! And no, Tuesday/Wednesday games don't count.

Who cares if that this tournament costs the US $1.2 billion every hour in lost productivity. It's completely worth it.

HEY MAN, WHAT ABOUT THE WOLFPACK!!!!???? HHHHHHHOOOOOOOWWWWWWLLLLLLLLLLL!

The lovable losers of the ACC.

duke4ever19
03-20-2014, 10:00 AM

*cough, cough* hmmm I think I might be coming down with a cold or something. Best to stay home till Monday so I don't get my co-workers sick.

weezie
03-20-2014, 10:07 AM
!!!!Annnnd!!!!??? Bruce Pearl won't be jabbering on espn next year!

Just looking ahead a bit. Yay!

ChillinDuke
03-20-2014, 10:10 AM
*cough, cough* hmmm I think I might be coming down with a cold or something. Best to stay home till Monday so I don't get my co-workers sick.

Same. Sniffles. Gotta be the temperature swings.

Figure I'll hole myself up in an empty room at the office. Just in case I'm contagious.

Oh, there's an external monitor in this office. That's nice.

Oh, whoops. Pressed the "Projector: On" button instead of the lights.

[sound of door slowly closing]

- Chillin

superdave
03-20-2014, 10:22 AM
Same. Sniffles. Gotta be the temperature swings.

Figure I'll hole myself up in an empty room at the office. Just in case I'm contagious.

Oh, there's an external monitor in this office. That's nice.

Oh, whoops. Pressed the "Projector: On" button instead of the lights.

[sound of door slowly closing]

- Chillin

I pulled off this move regularly in middle school, during the ACCT, the 1st day of the NCAAs and when Duke won the title and had a gathering Cameron in 1991 and 1992.

Now I have the internet so I get credit for being at work while watching in HD on my computer. Thank you, Al Gore!

UrinalCake
03-20-2014, 10:27 AM
Looks like cbs is once again only streaming the feed from the main cbs channel online. If you also have a cable tv subscription, then you can get all of the games. Boooooo!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-20-2014, 10:41 AM
I pulled off this move regularly in middle school, during the ACCT, the 1st day of the NCAAs and when Duke won the title and had a gathering Cameron in 1991 and 1992.

Now I have the internet so I get credit for being at work while watching in HD on my computer. Thank you, Al Gore!

This is, historically, my Once A Year Four Day Weekend. When I lived out in Seattle for awhile, no one could even begin to understand. "But, Duke is only going to be playing for about four hours?" I love every minute of every game... Upsets, buzzer beaters, near-upsets, amazing performances, complete collapses, coach outbursts, air balls, terrible refs, nail biters.... It's the best.

Unfortunately, I'm running my own business now and unable to take my MegaWeekend, but you can be assured that I will be streaming every possible moment. I love the drama! I love the outrage! I love the passion!

Go Duke!

duke4ever19
03-20-2014, 11:17 AM
Let's go Delaware Blue Hens! Take down the anointed Spartans!

I know it probably won't happen, but I would giggle like an elementary kid on the last day of classes before summer if Delaware beat Sparty, completely demolishing "expert" brackets everywhere. The amount of backpedalling on ESPN would be astounding.

dukebluesincebirth
03-20-2014, 11:20 AM
I'm a reading teacher and trying to figure out how to embed march madness into the curriculum today and tomorrow. Counting the number of syllables in players' names? I've got to figure this out before Friday at noon!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-20-2014, 11:31 AM
I'm a reading teacher and trying to figure out how to embed march madness into the curriculum today and tomorrow. Counting the number of syllables in players' names? I've got to figure this out before Friday at noon!

You could calculate player GPAs?

RPS
03-20-2014, 11:42 AM
Here's a story (http://rpseawright.wordpress.com/2014/03/20/traders-gonna-trade/) from 1991 you may not have heard.

Happily, that idea is a crock (http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/recycled/2010/03/productivity_madness.html) (though it would be completely worth it).

I'm hoping for lots of buzzer-beaters and six Duke wins (of course).

lotusland
03-20-2014, 11:51 AM
Looks like cbs is once again only streaming the feed from the main cbs channel online. If you also have a cable tv subscription, then you can get all of the games. Boooooo!

Yeah that blows. Loved the days when you could switch back and forth. Is the live stream at cbssports.com or elsewhere? If so I don't see where but maybe that's because it hasn't started yet.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-20-2014, 12:00 PM
http://www.ncaa.com/march-madness-live/

kmspeaks
03-20-2014, 12:47 PM
When I try to load the video it says I'm blocked for being outside the US. The problem is, I'm not. Anybody here have any ideas on what's going on or how I can fix it. I'm at work (a high school) and connected to a proxy server. I have no idea what that means but it could be relevant. :confused: I'm really hoping I can figure this out before 12:15 tomorrow.

pfrduke
03-20-2014, 12:49 PM
When I try to load the video it says I'm blocked for being outside the US. The problem is, I'm not. Anybody here have any ideas on what's going on or how I can fix it. I'm at work (a high school) and connected to a proxy server. I have no idea what that means but it could be relevant. :confused: I'm really hoping I can figure this out before 12:15 tomorrow.

I think the more relevant question is why your high school is routing its internet connection through the Caymans. Sounds like some suspicious activity going on there.

Bluedog
03-20-2014, 01:05 PM

If you have access to a VPN with a U.S. IP, then you can get around it. If you don't have a VPN for a particular network that you trust, there are some free services that do it, but I can't tell you which ones are safe vs. not as some of those can be shady and suspect. So, I'd proceed with caution if you use one of the "Free VPN US IP" sites...

kmspeaks
03-20-2014, 01:15 PM
If you have access to a VPN with a U.S. IP, then you can get around it. If you don't have a VPN for a particular network that you trust, there are some free services that do it, but I can't tell you which ones are safe vs. not as some of those can be shady and suspect. So, I'd proceed with caution if you use one of the "Free VPN US IP" sites...

Since it's a school computer I don't think I want to mess with that. I can get the radio feed though, so I guess that will have to do.

jacone21
03-20-2014, 01:52 PM
Oh yeah, baby! Props to CBS for embracing the future and not making it difficult.

lotusland
03-21-2014, 07:10 AM
So I had various games streaming all day on my Chrome book while I worked at my laptop and near the end of the NC State game I got shut down and the message said something to the effect that I had used up my streaming allotment?????

Does anyone know if it is a daily ration or am I done for the whole tournament?

I can't find anything about that on the cbs website.

The Gordog
03-21-2014, 08:56 AM
Here's a story (http://rpseawright.wordpress.com/2014/03/20/traders-gonna-trade/) from 1991 you may not have heard.

Happily, that idea is a crock (http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/recycled/2010/03/productivity_madness.html) (though it would be completely worth it).

I'm hoping for lots of buzzer-beaters and six Duke wins (of course).

Wow, at the :55 in mark of that video, you see Laettner get his head slammed to the floor by a (Mich?) State player. I had forgotten about that incident. Does anyone remember the context?

Atlanta Duke
03-21-2014, 09:15 AM
Wow, at the :55 in mark of that video, you see Laettner get his head slammed to the floor by a (Mich?) State player. I had forgotten about that incident. Does anyone remember the context?

It was the regional semi-final game against UConn

UConn center Rod Sellers bounced Laettner's head off the court after taking an elbow to the face on a previous possession

Sellers said his emotional outburst was precipitated by an elbow Laettner landed to Sellers' face on the previous trip downcourt. A review of the videotape shows that Laettner's left elbow struck Sellers in the right cheek with 6:24 remaining. The blow staggered Sellers briefly.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1991-03-27/sports/1991086175_1_sellers-laettner-elbow

Although Sellers apologized he apparently was not a Laettner fan:)

"He just took my head out of the game.... I just wanted to kill him; in fact I still do—if I saw him now I would try to hurt him."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1140200/1/index.htm

gurufrisbee
03-21-2014, 09:28 AM
Best time of the year. Too bad I always *cough* get sick on Thursday and Friday and have to miss work each year.

UrinalCake
03-21-2014, 09:44 AM
So I had various games streaming all day on my Chrome book while I worked at my laptop and near the end of the NC State game I got shut down and the message said something to the effect that I had used up my streaming allotment?????

Unfortunately it's a one-time allotment for the whole tournament.

As Stated previously, cbs only lets everybody stream whichever game is on the main CBS channel. For games that are on TruTV, Tbs, or TNT you need a television subscription and have to log in from the CBS website using your television provider credentials. CBS will allow you to "preview" the restricted channels for a limited time. I'm not sure what that limited time is, my guess would be an hour.

You might be able to get in from a different device or computer and get another free hour. I'm not sure if they identify you by your device's MAC address or from your IP address. If it's the latter, you could also try going to a coffee shop and using their wifi. If it's the former, you could use a virtual machine and simulate a new MAC address in order to get another hour.

jacone21
03-21-2014, 09:48 AM

There does appear to be a limit for games not being broadcast on CBS. You have to login with a TV provider to view games being broadcast on TNT, TBS, and TRUtv. If you don't have a provider login, it looks like you're limited to a 3 hour preview. You may be able to get around that by acquiring a different IP address. Again, games broadcast on CBS don't count against the free-view time. Details are here.

http://www.ncaa.com/march-madness-live/help

superdave
03-21-2014, 02:42 PM
The NCAA Tournament has finally arrived!!!

And it's gone! I am going to struggle to make myself watch Weber State this afternoon with the same enthusiasm I watched North Dakota State last night.

Gthoma2a
03-21-2014, 02:49 PM
And it's gone! I am going to struggle to make myself watch Weber State this afternoon with the same enthusiasm I watched North Dakota State last night.

I can't watch any more basketball right now. I will wait for press conferences and hope UNC loses so that their taunts are short lived.

TNDukeFan
03-21-2014, 02:51 PM
Did anyone else experience the exasperating reloading circle and freeze of the video on CBS online during the game?

Mabdul Doobakus
03-21-2014, 02:53 PM
I still love watching the tourney, but no question it's harder to get invested in the games when we're no longer in it. But misery loves company, so go underdogs.

gcashwell
03-21-2014, 02:54 PM
I still love watching the tourney, but no question it's harder to get invested in the games when we're no longer in it. But misery loves company, so go underdogs.

I enjoy the tournament more. It's too stressful when we are still in it.

superdave
03-21-2014, 02:54 PM
Did anyone else experience the exasperating reloading circle and freeze of the video on CBS online during the game?

Yes, but I assumed it's slow internets at the workplace. I would imagine half the country logged on later in the game too.

GGLC
03-21-2014, 02:56 PM
I enjoy the tournament more. It's too stressful when we are still in it.

...Except you have to see the scoreboard crawl under every live game to remind you of the result you'd rather forget.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-21-2014, 02:58 PM
Now I can just root for my brackets, I guess. And NCCU.

The tourney really is a thing of beauty, today notwithstanding.

cbnaylor
03-21-2014, 03:00 PM
I'm sure I will watch plenty more of the tournament and pull for the remaining Duke ties. Go Harvard and Stanford. As for my beloved Dukies, I may pop in the 2010 National Championship game and reflect on a team full of leadership who played great basketball together. Not the most talented team but one heck of a Unit who played well together. Congrats Mercer.

gcashwell
03-21-2014, 03:16 PM
...Except you have to see the scoreboard crawl under every live game to remind you of the result you'd rather forget.

Yeah. It definitely takes a couple of days.