PDA

View Full Version : Al's Column on Why Play the Tournament

SoCalDukeFan
03-19-2014, 03:39 PM
Always enjoy Al's columns.

One typo-- it was UNLV in '91 not '92.

He makes a big deal that MSU is the favorite and a 4 seed. Evidently the Committee seeds based on performance not potential. So while it is kind of funny, the Committee looked at MSU's record and gurus and Vegas guys look at potential. Probably the same for Louisville.

I do think the Committee needs to put more weight on the conference tournaments. Syracuse and Wisconsin as 3s and MSU who won the Big 10 a 4 does seem out of whack.

SoCal

77devil
03-19-2014, 06:44 PM

He makes a big deal that MSU is the favorite and a 4 seed. Evidently the Committee seeds based on performance not potential. So while it is kind of funny, the Committee looked at MSU's record and gurus and Vegas guys look at potential. Probably the same for Louisville.

I do think the Committee needs to put more weight on the conference tournaments. Syracuse and Wisconsin as 3s and MSU who won the Big 10 a 4 does seem out of whack.

SoCal

Good column. However, in the A-10 vs. ACC section Al suggests that Coach K, and by by implication, himself deem St. Joseph unworthy of NCAA tournament selection. I'm sure it's an oversight given how much both value the ACC conference tournament champion, which St. Joes is for the A-10, and an automatic bid recipient as a result.

dukelifer
03-19-2014, 08:07 PM

SoCal

I expect MSU to get to the FF and then as usual - feel the pressure of the moment- and falter yet again. Izzo gets a lot of love at this time of year- but his teams have not gotten over the hump. They can become a poor shooting team. 14 years since the BIG 10 has gotten one.

Newton_14
03-19-2014, 10:05 PM
I expect MSU to get to the FF and then as usual - feel the pressure of the moment- and falter yet again. Izzo gets a lot of love at this time of year- but his teams have not gotten over the hump. They can become a poor shooting team. 14 years since the BIG 10 has gotten one.

Don't believe the hype partner. UVA is for real. Let's see Sparty deal with all those screens and that pack line defense. Unc beats Sparty the exact same way every single time they play. They take away everything in the paint and make Sparty beat them with jumpshots. Good Unc team, bad Unc team, home, away, or neutral, Sparty falls every time. Should they play, UVA is going to beat them the exact same way.

Wander
03-20-2014, 12:18 AM
He's a knowledgeable guy, but I'm sorry, this was not one of his better efforts.

When he says that he "has a problem" with St Joseph's getting into the tournament ahead of Clemson and FSU... St Joseph's won their conference tournament. I understand it's just a goof on his part, but it's a goof that implies he hasn't paid much attention to the Atlantic 10 this season. And the comments about Wichita State, UVA, Arizona, and Florida are all extremely generic. Leave generic for Seth Davis, we can do better here.

dukelifer
03-20-2014, 07:25 AM
Don't believe the hype partner. UVA is for real. Let's see Sparty deal with all those screens and that pack line defense. Unc beats Sparty the exact same way every single time they play. They take away everything in the paint and make Sparty beat them with jumpshots. Good Unc team, bad Unc team, home, away, or neutral, Sparty falls every time. Should they play, UVA is going to beat them the exact same way.

Izzo has never beaten Roy so Roy clearly knows how to play them. If UNC can get on a roll they can be tough. But you need to take Paige out of the game ( if you can) and UNC is beatable. That said- the kid has been mighty impressive in money time. I am happy if UNC goes out early- but MSU will have to earn a spot.

millerecu
03-20-2014, 09:05 AM

It drives me absolutely crazy during March Madness (every year) that we have to hear "This is Izzo's time of year". The man has 1 championship and like 6 final fours. Should the statement not be "Coach K's time of year"?

bob blue devil
03-20-2014, 09:20 AM
It drives me absolutely crazy during March Madness (every year) that we have to hear "This is Izzo's time of year". The man has 1 championship and like 6 final fours. Should the statement not be "Coach K's time of year"?

I guess the difference is January through December is K's time of year.

Scorp4me
03-20-2014, 12:39 PM
Coach K's time of year wouldn't be encompassing enough...Coach K's year wouldn't work either. How about just Coach K time? lol

77devil
03-20-2014, 02:31 PM
Unworthy 11 seed Dayton takes town The OSU. I'm guessing Coach K's remarks are in every A-10 participant locker room. Thad Motta says thanks a lot coach.

Lauderdevil
03-20-2014, 02:48 PM
Re Dayton-Ohio State: it's a nice start for the A-10, but a miserable start for B1G. And at the end of the day, for the ACC to re-establish its claim of supremacy, it'll be in comparison to B1G more than the A-10.

Indoor66
03-20-2014, 09:23 PM
Unworthy 11 seed Dayton takes town The OSU. I'm guessing Coach K's remarks are in every A-10 participant locker room. Thad Motta says thanks a lot coach.

Thad Motta is highly overrated, IMO. Guess his record speaks for itself.

Acymetric
03-20-2014, 09:26 PM
Thad Motta is highly overrated, IMO. Guess his record speaks for itself.

Thad Matta is clearly overrated. He's like the Roy Williams of the Big Ten but slightly worse at recruiting. In-game coaching they are in the same ballpark, but Roy may be better there too. Paulus is the key to their success ;)