PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to NC Central On Making The Dance

Newton_14
03-17-2014, 11:20 PM
I wanted to give a shout out to our neighbors from NC Central for a great year, that saw them pull a huge upset against NC State and then go on to win the MEAC Conference and play their way into the NCAA Tournament for the first time in school history.

Having listened to him many times over the past few years on local Sports Talk Radio, I have become a big fan of their coach Levelle Moton. He seems to be an outstanding man and basketball coach. Very well spoken, down to earth, and wears his emotions on his sleeve. I love listening to his interviews. He broke down in tears in the Championship when the game clock was winding down and they had victory in hand. He also gave a wonderful interview on 620 The Buzz yesterday during their pre-selection show. Moton shared a bit of his background, stating he grew up in poverty, without a father around, and could have been a "statistic", but instead he worked his tail off, stayed out of trouble, and went on to become 1 of just 4 kids in his neighborhood, over a period of 30 years, that graduated from College. A great story of acheivement against the odds.

I will be pulling hard for them Friday Night when they tip it off against Iowa St. They have a punchers chance. Ironically, if both Central and Unc win, they will face off in the round of 32. How sweet would it be to see them send the heels back home?

Congrats to Coach Moten and The Eagles. Well done!

Son of Jarhead
03-18-2014, 12:18 PM
Yes, Congrats to the NC Central Eagles on their great season and first ever NCAA tourney. Let's not forget that National Title they won in 1989 at the DII level, but now they get to dance with the big boys in just their 3rd year of eligibility at the DI level. And I, too, have been impressed by Coach Moton, both as a coach and as a human being. Best wishes in the Tourney, Central!! We'll be cheering you on!! Go Eagles!!

Durham, center of the basketball world. :cool:

hurleyfor3
03-18-2014, 12:26 PM
Four Triangle schools in the tournament. NCCU is one of the three I'll be rooting for. :)

flyingdutchdevil
03-18-2014, 12:51 PM
Four Triangle schools in the tournament. NCCU is one of the three I'll be rooting for. :)

Only three schools. A school is defined as "an institution for educating children." UNC does not qualify.

weezie
03-18-2014, 03:26 PM

Yes, this is great, go Eagles!

Henderson
03-18-2014, 09:51 PM
Durham, center of the basketball world. :cool:

Is there another city in the country with a population less than 300,000 with two teams in the dance?

Has it ever happened?

Go NCCU. Until we meet them in the Finals.

Tom B.
03-19-2014, 01:19 PM
Is there another city in the country with a population less than 300,000 with two teams in the dance?

Has it ever happened?

Yes, at least once. In 1997, Charleston, SC (approximate population at the time: 100,000) put the College of Charleston and Charleston Southern University in the Tournament. The College of Charleston won the Trans-America Athletic Conference (now the Atlantic Sun Conference), and Charleston Southern won the Big South.

OK, technically Charleston Southern is in North Charleston, SC. Still, if you combine the populations of the two cities at the time, it was under 200,000.

And if we want to get really technical, Cincinnati, OH got two teams (Cincinnati and Xavier) into the Tournament, as it has many times before. The city of Cincinnati's estimated 2012 population (per Wikipedia) is 296,727. Of course, like many major urban areas, most of the population is outside the city limits -- Cincinnati's metro area has a population of over 2 million.

DarkstarWahoo
03-19-2014, 01:25 PM
Yes, at least once. In 1997, Charleston, SC (approximate population at the time: 100,000) put the College of Charleston and Charleston Southern University in the Tournament. The College of Charleston won the Trans-America Athletic Conference (now the Atlantic Sun Conference), and Charleston Southern won the Big South.

OK, technically Charleston Southern is in North Charleston, SC. Still, if you combine the populations of the two cities at the time, it was under 200,000.

And if we want to get really technical, Cincinnati, OH got two teams (Cincinnati and Xavier) into the Tournament, as it has many times before. The city of Cincinnati's estimated 2012 population (per Wikipedia) is 296,727. Of course, like many major urban areas, most of the population is outside the city limits -- Cincinnati's metro area has a population of over 2 million.

Richmond and VCU were both in it the year VCU went to the Final 4. If Richmond had beaten Kansas, they would have played each other in the regional final.

DukieInKansas
03-21-2014, 05:43 PM
Cheering for NC Central today. Just saw this article about the coach's 1 year old son: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/tournament/2014/story/_/id/10644707/son-north-carolina-central-eagles-levelle-moton-hospitalized-coffee-accident

Tough decision on whether to go to San Antonio or not. Praying his son heals completely.