PDA

View Full Version : NCAAT South/Memphis regional discussion (Fla/Ucla, Dayton/Stanford)

hurleyfor3
03-16-2014, 06:26 PM
Discuss the 2014 South region here. Florida is the #1 and is the overall #1. Regionals in Memphis.

FerryFor50
03-16-2014, 07:47 PM
Florida's draw stinks.

KU as their 2. Pitt as their potential 2nd round opponent. Then potential VCU or UCLA matchup.

Still better than Wichita St's draw.

gurufrisbee
03-16-2014, 07:58 PM
It's quite a sign when a region with a horrible UCLA as the 4 seed is still clearly the second best region in the entire bracket. One of the top three seeds will win this one - which bodes well for Florida since they won't play a really good team until the elite eight

Kedsy
03-18-2014, 11:04 AM
In the last 10 years there have been 16 teams from major conferences that entered the tournament with 3 or fewer losses. Here's how those teams fared:

Final Four: 7 (including 2 champions)
Elite Eight: 4
Sweet 16: 2
Round of 32: 3

Pretty good odds for Florida to at least make the Elite Eight.

tommy
03-18-2014, 11:43 AM
Florida's draw stinks.

KU as their 2. Pitt as their potential 2nd round opponent. Then potential VCU or UCLA matchup.

Still better than Wichita St's draw.

I disagree. I don't think it stinks at all. Their #2 is a team whose (probably) most important player, the potential #1 pick in the draft, is hurt and may not play at all, and if he does play, may or may not be effective. Their #3 is a team that has been playing its worst basketball of the season over the last month or so. And their #4 is a team that had it not beaten Arizona to win the Pac-12 tourney, was probably about a #6 seed or so, and which has no inside presence in its starting lineup.

jv001
03-18-2014, 03:39 PM
I disagree. I don't think it stinks at all. Their #2 is a team whose (probably) most important player, the potential #1 pick in the draft, is hurt and may not play at all, and if he does play, may or may not be effective. Their #3 is a team that has been playing its worst basketball of the season over the last month or so. And their #4 is a team that had it not beaten Arizona to win the Pac-12 tourney, was probably about a #6 seed or so, and which has no inside presence in its starting lineup.
be
I think Florida may have the best region. Not only is Kansas' best front court player injured, they have an inconsistent point guard. Against a good defensive team like Florida, that could spell....seeeeeyaaaaaa! UCLAs' best rebounder may be it's point guard and remember they have the Wear twins as front court players. I think the Gators easily make the FF. GoDuke!

TexHawk
03-18-2014, 04:17 PM
be
I think Florida may have the best region. Not only is Kansas' best front court player injured, they have an inconsistent point guard. Against a good defensive team like Florida, that could spell....seeeeeyaaaaaa!

The nice thing with a potential KU/Florida matchup is we already saw it in Gainesville. KU lost by 6, with Andrew Wiggins putting up 26/11. KU started 10-2, but a bit after that, Florida went on a 20-0 run, and were up by 15 at half. KU cut it down to 4 with a couple minutes left, with Wiggins scoring from everywhere (it was very similar to the WVU almost-comeback), but ultimately couldn't get over the hill.

This was Joel Embiid's first college start, and he played pretty tentatively, scoring 6 points on 6 shots (also 6 rebounds). That inconsistent point guard only scored 2 points, but he didn't even start that game. That honor went to freshman Frank Mason, who scored 9. The reason KU lost was entirely due to poor performances by Perry Ellis (4 points on only 3 FGA!!!) and Wayne Selden (4 points). Well, that and turnovers (24!).

Of course, a lot has happened since then, but back just a few months ago, KU was able to compete just fine with some pretty good teams without Joel Embiid looking like the #1 pick in the draft. (He scored 2 points on 4 shots against you guys.)

If KU were to get that far, it probably means that Embiid is back and playing ok. I would probably be fine with 0 points from him, as long as he played some defense and grabbed some rebounds. It would be interesting to see how KU's young guys improved, and the game would be on a neutral court, so hopefully 20-0 runs with crazed fans going crazy could be avoided.

Duvall
03-18-2014, 07:03 PM

But hey, Albany looks good, in a basketball sense anyway.

pfrduke
03-18-2014, 07:12 PM
But hey, Albany looks good, in a basketball sense anyway.

Jinx, I guess?

theAlaskanBear
03-20-2014, 02:03 PM
Pitt is playing well so far -- up 21-5 on Colorado at the 10 minute mark. I would love to see the ACC (sans Carolina) dominate the first few rounds of the Tournament.

pfrduke
03-20-2014, 02:09 PM
Big intentional foul call in the OSU-Dayton game (on Aaron Craft, no less). He made up for it by forcing a tie up. Tight game with 2+ to play.

Dukehky
03-20-2014, 02:13 PM
Pitt is playing well so far -- up 21-5 on Colorado at the 10 minute mark. I would love to see the ACC (sans Carolina) dominate the first few rounds of the Tournament.

Pitt is going to cost me 1 billion dollars. It is incredible that they are playing this well. I honestly did not think they were a legit tournament team for a pretty long stretch this year. Good for them I guess.

I think this region belongs to Florida or Kansas pretty handily, so this is all kind of moot.

wavedukefan70s
03-20-2014, 02:20 PM
I actually have Pitt in the final four.dayton just beat Ohio state.

dukelifer
03-20-2014, 02:21 PM
There went my billion. Dayton with a drive and a kiss against Ohio State- wow!

devildeac
03-20-2014, 02:22 PM
Mike Corey not gonna be very happy here with tOSU loss.

duke4ever19
03-20-2014, 02:24 PM
I actually have Pitt in the final four.dayton just beat Ohio state.

Whew! I had Dayton winning, but that was close. The Aaron Craft love was getting sickening towards the end, though.

You have Pitt beating the Gators? I like the way you think. :D

devildeac
03-20-2014, 02:27 PM
Pitt up 4 TD now on Colorado:o.

1 24 90
03-20-2014, 02:40 PM
As a proud alumnus of UD, I am ecstatic right now!!!!!

and Go Duke tomorrow!

duke4ever19
03-20-2014, 02:53 PM

and Go Duke tomorrow!

Congrats to your Flyers! I like Dayton and have them taking down Syracuse in the next round before bowing out vs. New Mexico.

theAlaskanBear
03-20-2014, 03:01 PM
Colorado is hapless against Pittsburgh without Dinwiddie. Zanna is a beast.

wavedukefan70s
03-20-2014, 03:14 PM
Whew! I had Dayton winning, but that was close. The Aaron Craft love was getting sickening towards the end, though.

You have Pitt beating the Gators? I like the way you think. :D

I may be a homer.but I believe the acc to be stronger than given credit for.

sagegrouse
03-20-2014, 03:24 PM

The evidence of the last three days is that the ACC is under-rated and the PAC-12 is over-rated. Sounds reasonable that there are some major dislocations in the seeding process -- there have been zip, zero, nada, zilch games BETWEEN the conferences in the past 11 weeks. The ACC's overall rating, calculated on the eye-tearing petard of early-season results, was torpedoed by Virginia's swoon against Tenn and VCU. I can't blame UNC because of their bad losses: their over-the-top wins almost caused a meltdown in the computer systems trying to reconcile disparate results. But BC and Wake played horribly bad in Nov. and Dec.

dukelifer
03-20-2014, 04:35 PM
Cooney found his shot. He has been the difference the last few games.

dukelifer
03-20-2014, 04:38 PM
It is early but Florida not rolling- must be the color of the Albany uniforms throwing Florida off

BlueDevilBrowns
03-20-2014, 04:39 PM
Albany's jerseys are hideous!

They look like Lakers' unis worn inside-out.

hurleyfor3
03-20-2014, 04:42 PM
Also, their logo looks like Roy Williams.

brevity
03-20-2014, 04:48 PM
It is early but Florida not rolling- must be the color of the Albany uniforms throwing Florida off

Albany's jerseys are hideous!

They look like Lakers' unis worn inside-out.

Yeah, playing LSU did not prepare Florida for these eyesores.

Other Albany-Florida thoughts:

1. Why does these ugly jerseys say UALBANY? Is there the potential for confusion with all the other Albany schools?
2. How is it possible that the tall guy with the Joakim Noah ponytail doesn't play for the Gators?
3. Albany showing poise. They must have prepared to face Billy Donovan by binge-watchingThe Munsters.

hurleyfor3
03-20-2014, 05:31 PM
Ualbany. The U must be silent, like the D in Djibouti and the G in Gbinije. And the N in Ndiaye.

pfrduke
03-20-2014, 05:39 PM
Ualbany. The U must be silent, like the D in Djibouti and the G in Gbinije. And the N in Ndiaye.

I don't recall anything about Ndiaye being particularly silent (often to his detriment).

Atlanta Duke
03-20-2014, 05:42 PM

This writer (who is a Michigan grad and presumably has no love for anyone or anything affiliated with Ohio State) goes off on Verne Lundquist's mancrush for Craft - video link to Verne's rhapsody above article link

The commentary was a game-long rhapsody to the grit, determination, and human decency of Craft. At some point, somebody said, "There's a toughness in that shirt that belies the angelic countenance."

Then, near the end, play-by-play commentator Verne Lundquist declared he respected Craft more than any player he had ever seen:

http://videos.nymag.com/video/Announcers-Overstating-Aaron-Cr

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2014/03/cbs-white-basketball-player-is-basically-jesus.html

duke4ever19
03-20-2014, 05:52 PM
"UAlbany" is playing like it doesn't want to go back to Albany.

FerryFor50
03-21-2014, 10:40 PM
VCU just got a jump ball call in OT on a very similar play that was called a foul on Sulaimon against Mercer. But hey, I'm not bitter...

FerryFor50
03-21-2014, 10:41 PM
SFA takes down VCU. Shaka Smart should watch out for those smaller conference teams...

sagegrouse
03-22-2014, 08:34 PM
Syracuse and Dayton are playing so poorly that this sub-bracket should just be vacated.

FerryFor50
03-22-2014, 09:30 PM
And down goes Syracuse. Dayton advances.

bedeviled
03-22-2014, 09:34 PM
Syracuse also fell prey to an upset after poor late decision-making. Ennis could have put Syracuse ahead or, on the next possession, tied it up if he had driven to the basket as he was doing with fair ease. Dayton was not going to risk fouling him. Yet, he settled for long jumpers each time....and missed. A familiar ending for our fellow ACC team. Although, Archie Miller coaches Dayton, so that's kind of a win for NC State, right....right? Pfft. ACC not showing well.

CR9
03-22-2014, 09:36 PM
I hate this weekend. Had Duke in the Elite Eight, Okie St in the Final Four and Syracuse in the championship. Duke cost me $91 and OSU might've cost me another $15. Why lord?

brevity
03-22-2014, 09:39 PM
Congratulations to Dayton, the lone Atlantic-10 team in the Sweet 16. (How much does Jim Boeheim hate Coach K right now?)

I did not realize that Dayton was coached by Sean Miller's little brother. I heard the name "Archie Miller" when Dayton beat Ohio State, but didn't make the connection. Their father John was on hand in Buffalo, which is nuts when San Diego is an alternative.

dukelifer
03-22-2014, 10:12 PM
And down goes Syracuse. Dayton advances.

ACC is not looking good right now. Wow. Up to UVa and sadly UNC to uphold the honor.

1 24 90
03-22-2014, 10:16 PM

Repost from Thursday. Go Flyers!!!

FerryFor50
03-22-2014, 10:17 PM
ACC is not looking good right now. Wow. Up to UVa and sadly UNC to uphold the honor.

I'd trade the ACC being considered terrible for a UNC loss. Any day.

_Gary
03-22-2014, 10:21 PM

Absolutely. Not even a question.

dukelifer
03-22-2014, 10:54 PM

I do agree

TNDukeFan
03-23-2014, 07:37 AM
The ACC's overall rating, calculated on the eye-tearing petard of early-season results, was torpedoed by Virginia's swoon against Tenn and VCU.

Just catching up on my threads this morning and saw this. Most amazing sentence on DBR this year -- this English teacher is in awe.

When you can make a swoon torpedo something and it still makes sense, you're a poet.

And "eye-tearing petard"? Wow.

_Gary
03-23-2014, 02:30 PM
Glad to see Johnny D get a win today, but unfortunately it gives Florida a cakewalk to the Final Four. At this point there are only two teams I DON'T want to see win - UF and, of course, UNC. Both have much easier paths to Texas than I'd have liked. Ugh...

NSDukeFan
03-23-2014, 02:36 PM
I hate this weekend. Had Duke in the Elite Eight, Okie St in the Final Four and Syracuse in the championship. Duke cost me $91 and OSU might've cost me another $15. Why lord?

Maybe the lord was hinting that youvshouldn't be wagering. (;

devildeac
Down goes Kansas!!!!!!!!!

Native
HUGE win for Coach Dawkins. Congratulations to him and Stanford!

_Gary
03-23-2014, 02:37 PM
Down goes Kansas!!!!!!!!!

All I want to see is "Down goes Florida" and "Down goes Carolina" and I'll be happy with any other result.

devildeac
03-23-2014, 02:41 PM
All I want to see is "Down goes Florida" and "Down goes Carolina" and I'll be happy with any other result.

Yea, maybe I should have posted "up goes Johnny" or huge congrats to JD. :o

Down goes c*rolina sounds even better:cool:.

brevity
03-23-2014, 02:42 PM
Stanford 60, Kansas 57.

The good news (for Jabari Parker) is that Andrew Wiggins had 4 points and 4 turnovers in the loss. With Joel Embiid out, and Marcus Smart gone in the first round, maybe NBA teams will ignore the NCAA Tournament in evaluating the draft lottery. (Maybe it's an opportunity for Doug McDermott and Gary Harris to move up a little, but not for the big names to move down.)

Atlanta Duke
03-23-2014, 02:50 PM
Stanford 60, Kansas 57.

The good news (for Jabari Parker) is that Andrew Wiggins had 4 points and 4 turnovers in the loss. With Joel Embiid out, and Marcus Smart gone in the first round, maybe NBA teams will ignore the NCAA Tournament in evaluating the draft lottery. (Maybe it's an opportunity for Doug McDermott and Gary Harris to move up a little, but not for the big names to move down.)

Since the NBA was willing to ignore whether someone even played in college before one and done was implemented I doubt a bad tournament game is going to make much difference in draft slotting.

But Barkley notes that if you struggle against Mercer and Stanford what is going to happen when you play against grown men? Chuck wants players to stay because he says the current level of play in the NBA is the worst he has ever seen it because of the youth of players entering the league.

But with regard to the thread topic, great win for Stanford - presumably biggest since the Mike Montgomery era and the greatest of Johnny's coaching career

brevity
03-23-2014, 03:01 PM
Since the NBA was willing to ignore whether someone even played in college before one and done was implemented I doubt a bad tournament game is going to make much difference in draft slotting.

But Barkley notes that if you struggle against Mercer and Stanford what is going to happen when you play against grown men...

Barkley makes a fair, realistic point. But the top of the NBA Draft is no longer about fairness or realism.

We have a whole thread about Jabari Parker and the draft. (Well, not really. We have a thread intended for that, but most of the posts are from fans who lack the self-control to compartmentalize their thoughts and only want to talk about past great Duke players at every freaking opportunity.)

There was a concern after the Mercer loss about Parker's draft stock. I'm just pointing out that it will be unaffected if everyone else flames out as well. I didn't mention Julius Randle, and I guess I should. He has a chance to break into the Top 4 if he starts going off.

CR9
03-23-2014, 03:21 PM
Maybe the lord was hinting that youvshouldn't be wagering. (;

He should've showed me the light before Friday. :(

tbyers11
03-23-2014, 05:20 PM

Replace Florida with Kentucky and I agree with you

devildeac
03-23-2014, 06:07 PM
Can't believe no one posted this yet. Dayton defeated Syracuse last evening, 55-53, after the 'Cuse scored a stunning 18 points in the first half IIRC.