PDA

View Full Version : Duke is the standard for the ACC

A_boy_named_HOO
03-16-2014, 05:12 PM
that is why I am a proud wahoo today. Not gonna debate fouls, etc (dont do that when hoos lose either) is what it is. However, Duke is the acc
( obviously heels are huge) but Duke has been the best in my lifetime. so for my beloved hoos to beat Duke to end that terrible run since 1976 means a lot. That is compliment to your program, not gloating, humble but very proud! Also, I come on the site and see the article "Congratulations Virginia", total class here, this site is one of the best for ANY hoops fan. Good luck in the dance, lets meet in Dallas!!!

WAHOOWA

Native
03-16-2014, 05:17 PM
Classy post. Congrats to the Hoos - played a terrific game. Nothing but respect for Bennett and company. Was at Greensboro today and was very impressed with your fans - had a much better showing than Duke. Best of luck going forward!

El_Diablo
03-16-2014, 05:17 PM
that is why I am a proud wahoo today. Not gonna debate fouls, etc (dont do that when hoos lose either) is what it is. However, Duke is the acc
( obviously heels are huge) but Duke has been the best in my lifetime. so for my beloved hoos to beat Duke to end that terrible run since 1976 means a lot. That is compliment to your program, not gloating, humble but very proud! Also, I come on the site and see the article "Congratulations Virginia", total class here, this site is one of the best for ANY hoops fan. Good luck in the dance, lets meet in Dallas!!!

WAHOOWA

Congrats on a great season so far. Be sure to represent the ACC with a good showing in the NCAA tournament (barring another matchup with Duke, of course).

dukelifer
03-16-2014, 05:20 PM

WAHOOWA

The two programs are tied together. UVa killed K's team during the Sampson era. K was on a mission to never let that happen again. It definitely sparked Dukes run in the 80's and 90's. I am sure this one hurt K a bit. He knows he only has a few more opportunities to get another. Duke was getting them every year it seemed- now it is getting harder. UVa played better and deserved it. My guess it will not be another 38 years before the next one.

MCFinARL
03-16-2014, 05:25 PM
UVA played smart and well, and you should be very proud of your team. Whether or not one could argue about the way the game was called, Virginia figured out how to play effectively within the bounds of what the refs were calling and what they weren't, and they did that better than Duke. They stayed collected and stuck to their game plan throughout, even at the moments when Duke started to generate a little momentum. And they are a team in the true sense of the word.

It's no surprise Coach K has spoken so highly of UVA and Coach Bennett; I suspect there are moments (like right now) when he is a bit envious of the cohesion and consistency that your team has been able to develop this year.

Do the ACC proud and go as far as you can--unless you play Duke!

Kedsy
03-16-2014, 05:37 PM
Hats off to UVa. The team played a great game and beat us. Congrats.

Indoor66
03-16-2014, 08:49 PM

WAHOOWA

Thank you for a wonderful post. I can say that, though sad for Duke players, I am happy for Virginia - players, coaches and fans. It is a testament to quality showing forth. Maturity truly does count in basketball and life. Good luck to both teams and I echo your desire for a rematch in Dallas.

Utley
03-16-2014, 09:18 PM
Nodoby else I would rather see win the ACC. It felt like you out-Duked us today.

gumbomoop
03-16-2014, 09:34 PM
Bennett might well be the standard in a few years, once Krzyzewski, Boeheim, and Williams retire. Especially in getting the very most and best from his players. Surely he'll vie with Marshall for NCOY.

Newton_14
03-16-2014, 10:58 PM

WAHOOWA

Congrats on the win. I was engulfed in Hoo fans in my section today. For all intents and purposes they might has well have played the game in Charlottesville. The Hoo fans were very loud. Most all of them spent 100% of their voices cheering for their team vs negative stuff against Duke or K. That was refreshing. The folks directly behind me were very nice from pregame to final horn. No complaints at all with their fans. Very impressive showing by them.

jv001
03-17-2014, 07:45 AM
Congratulations Virginia. You have a very good team that plays together and you have a very good coach. Play well in the NCAAT. GoDuke!

hillsborodevil
03-17-2014, 08:41 AM
Congrats to UVa. Great team BB. I am very fond of Tony Bennett and Joe Harris. I will be rooting for UVa in the Big Dance.

On a positive spin for Duke I prefer a loss to a classy program just before the NCAA Tourney. Hopefully it will ignite a fire under the Devils.

In closing, I have always had a compassionate side for Hoo’s, especially when I am drinking. Cheers!

alteran
03-17-2014, 08:51 AM

WAHOOWA

While everyone was debating the Greatness of The Cuse, the early season run of Pitt, or whether Duke and UNC were going to make a run at at a regular season title, UVA just kept quietly taking care of business. What a season.

Congrats. UVA plugged away and earned everything they got this season. Best of luck to you guys in the tourney.

Steven43
03-17-2014, 09:42 AM
Duke is the acc. Duke has been the best in my lifetime. This site is one of the best for ANY hoops fan. Good luck!Strong compliments. I'm sure Duke fans appreciate it. And you are correct that DBR is one of the best college basketball sites, my posts notwithstanding. The posters on here continue to amaze me with their intellectual capacity, excellent writing skills, fair-minded attitude, willingness to research a subject in-depth, unwavering commitment to Duke, good sportsmanship, and policing of renegade comments (trust me, you can't get away with ANYTHING on here!).

You know, out of all the schools with a reasonably realistic chance of winning it all I'm definitely pulling for Virginia, if Duke loses first, of course. You just have a damn good team. And what a defense! The first ten minutes were a defensive clinic. It was like watching a college team versus a high school team. Crazy.

Still, once Duke adjusted I thought we were going to win. And I have to be honest in wondering how Virginia was getting call after call after call. It was almost comically bizarre at a certain point. It reminded me so much of the Duke v. UConn game in the Final Four in 2004. The biased refereeing that day likely cost us an eventual national championship. Not sure if the refs cost us the game yesterday, because I think Virginia just played better, refs or no refs.

And Tony Bennet?! Wow, just wow. Has he done a great job or what? Perhaps he just jumped Brad Stevens as first in line to the throne in the eyes of the Duke fan base. In any case, I hope this season continues it's upward trajectory for you and the UVA family. All the best.

flyingdutchdevil
03-17-2014, 09:55 AM

WAHOOWA

Thank you for this wonderful post. We always love having smart, passionate fans from opposing teams come over to our site (including you, Wheat!).

UVa is the best team in the ACC, and they showed it yesterday. Your individual pieces aren't as talented as ours (or UNC's, or Syracuse's), but you are playing like a 'team' and that is what matters. Plus, you play really sexy defense that I am highly jealous of. I hope that UVa goes very far. I really see you guys as a deserving 1-seed ready to do some damage.

Thanks again for posting, and continue to come to DBR!

A_boy_named_HOO
03-17-2014, 03:44 PM
Thanks guys, great kind words, still on a cloud! Best of luck in the dance....lets ACC up Dallas!
WAHOOWA