PDA

View Full Version : Bean Poll

EarlJam
09-07-2007, 10:50 AM
If you were hungry and were only given the option of eating a bowl of beans, which type of bean would you choose to eat?

Windsor
09-07-2007, 11:33 AM
I opted for green beans - but if I could add rice to the beans it would be black beans all the way. Mmmmm...I'm thinking the local Cuban place for lunch!

EarlJam
09-07-2007, 12:44 PM
May I inquire as to who voted for Pinto Beans? In hindsight, I would probably vote for that. I, EarlJam, love pinto beans. Add lots of pepper, some ketchup and hot sauce and some cheese, then serve with crackers. It makes for a full meal.

Whoever voted for pinto beans.......I love you.

-EarlJam

knights68
09-07-2007, 01:05 PM
Not to be anal or anything, but are we talking raw beans, or cooked beans?
And if cooked, how exactly are they cooked?
Some beans taste differently depending on how you fix 'em

But then again, if I were dying of hunger and a bowl set in fron tof me, I suspect it really wouldn't matter what kind of bowl of beans is in front of me. I'd be chowing down on them bad boys!

But for the sake of argument, I'll say Green is my first choice, followed by Lima.
What, no field beans? ok ok, they may be considered "peas" but their all bean.

knights68
09-07-2007, 01:06 PM
I like 'da Pinto beans too, cooked slowly in a crock pot with a half pound of salted pork then served on a nice bed of steamed white rice.
aahhh, thats the ticket!

DevilAlumna
09-07-2007, 01:25 PM
I love me my lentils. I can do a decent red lentil curry, or a green-lentil chili. Ymmm.

micah75
09-07-2007, 03:41 PM
Pinto beans are what you get when you buy canned refried beans for making burritos. Far superiour than the canned version is the simple homemade recipe of soaking the pintos overnight, then season and cook for 50 minutes to an hour. The canned version (along with the restaurant variety) usually contains lard. I prefer olive oil. So much better. Healthier too. Then mash and serve if you're doing Mexican food. Or add some salsa or sour cream and use as a dip with tortilla chips while watching your favorite show.

Kidney beans: oh yeah. These are ideal on cold winter days when you're snowed in. My Mom's recipe contained (after the usual overnight soak) a whole cinnamon stick, along with a couple of cans of tomato sauce and a few other spices. Warms the tummy. Tasty, hearty, and nourishing.

Lentils make great soups. High in protein.

Garbanzos soaked overnight and served raw (with a little salt and pepper) are considered "sprouted", even if you don't see any sprouty tails. Soaking releases the healing enzymes. Garbanzos, which I prefer to call "chickpeas" are also super high in protein. A good energy boost as well. I like them for breakfast.

g_olaf
09-07-2007, 03:45 PM
May I inquire as to who voted for Pinto Beans? In hindsight, I would probably vote for that. I, EarlJam, love pinto beans. Add lots of pepper, some ketchup and hot sauce and some cheese, then serve with crackers. It makes for a full meal.

Whoever voted for pinto beans.......I love you.

-EarlJam

I love you too baby.

Jarhead
09-07-2007, 04:59 PM
Do the beans have anything to do with your moniker?

Jarhead
09-07-2007, 05:08 PM
I voted for green beans. I even like them raw, and I sometimes put the long skinny ones in my salad. I also like baked beans like the Bush brand, but they aren't on the list. What is the difference between lima beans and butter beans? I used to get navy beans every Saturday morning for breakfast, and I ate 'em, but I hate 'em.

dukemomLA
09-08-2007, 02:20 AM
Munching those soy beans -- the best!! Yum.

captmojo
09-08-2007, 10:54 AM

Yeah but how well do they go with country ham and Grandma's cornbread?

Oh, I voted "Butter".;)

hc5duke
09-08-2007, 02:11 PM

Sorry, edamame is the worst bean-related thing to come out of the Far East since stinky tofu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stinky_tofu) :-p

Bluedawg
09-08-2007, 08:05 PM
Now do you mean real "Butter Beans" http://www.sxc.hu/pic/m/s/st/stevefe/384510_butter_beans.jpg

or what we southerns call butter beans? http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/1187129/2/istockphoto_1187129_yummy_lima_beans.jpg