PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke v. NC State ACC Semis Pre-Game & In-Game Thread (~1530 EDT, ESPN)

pfrduke
03-14-2014, 11:38 PM
Discuss here.

luburch
03-14-2014, 11:39 PM
Have to be pretty happy facing NC State and not Cuse.

NashvilleDevil
03-14-2014, 11:41 PM
The "All the calls go Duke's way" crowd will be out in full force.

They will be and they are very wrong. Thornton punched the ball out before Hall(?) made his move to the hoop.

DU82
03-14-2014, 11:43 PM
They will be and they are very wrong. Thornton punched the ball out before Hall(?) made his move to the hoop.

Don't confuse the issue with the facts.

cptnflash
03-14-2014, 11:44 PM
Jabari and Rasheed need to get on the same page before tomorrow. Sheed is obviously frustrated with Jabari's inability to be in the right spots on offense when he doesn't have the ball.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-14-2014, 11:49 PM
Hall did a great job (for us) clearly avoiding contact. State will come to play tomorrow. We will have to play substantially better.

Go Duke!

CR9
03-14-2014, 11:58 PM
Win plz. And get Jabari a touch in the last few minutes FFS.

CDu
03-15-2014, 12:02 AM
The bad news is that we will be facing a much better offensive team tomorrow.

The good news is that we will be facing a much worse defensive team tomorrow.

Hopefully, State's defense will do worse than our defense.

newclasspack
03-15-2014, 12:08 AM
you guys will def. have the fan advantage. all of the state fans are either dead or in ICU from the Cuse game

awhom111
03-15-2014, 01:32 AM
Here is the list of ACC Network affiliates carrying the game. It is a lot more than the quarterfinal, so those who prefer this feed who did not get it for the last game may be in luck now. This feed will also be on the ACC website.

District Of Columbia
Washington, DC (Hagerstown, MD) WDCA My Network TV MY 20

Florida
Fort Myers-Naples WXCW CW '6'
Jacksonville WAWS FOX FOX 30
Miami-Fort Lauderdale WBFS My Network TV MY 33
Orlando-Daytona Beach-Melbourne WRBW My Network TV My 65
Panama City WMBB-D2 This TV This Panama City (13.2)
Tallahassee-Thomasville WTLH FOX FOX 49
Tampa-St. Petersburg (Sarasota) WTOG CW CW 44
West Palm Beach-Ft. Pierce WTVX CW The CW West Palm

Georgia
Albany WSWG-D2 My Network TV WSWG-DT2 (WSWG.2)
Atlanta WATL My Network TV My Atl TV
Augusta-Aiken WFXG FOX FOX 54
Savannah WGSA CW Savannah's CW

Maryland
Baltimore WNUV CW The CW Baltimore
Hagerstown WHAG NBC Channel 26
Salisbury WRDE-DT My Network TV My RTV 9

Massachusetts
Boston (Manchester) WSBK IND TV 38
Springfield-Holyoke (WSBK) IND TV 38

New York
Albany WNYA My Network TV My 4 Albany
Binghamton WICZ FOX FOX 40 News
Elmira WYDC FOX Big FOX
Rochester WUHF FOX WUHF-TV
Syracuse WSTQ CW CW 6

North Carolina
Charlotte WBTV CBS WBTV 3
Greensboro- Winston-Salem -High Point WFMY CBS WFMY News 2
Greenville-New Bern-Washington WCTI ABC WCTI 12
Raleigh-Durham (Fayetteville) WRAL CBS WRAL TV 5
Wilmington WECT NBC TV 6

Pennsylvania
Pittsburgh WTAE-D2 This TV
State College-Johnstown-Altoona WHVL My Network TV Happy Valley
Wilkes Barre-Scanton WQMY My Network TV My Network TV WQMY

Rhode Island
Providence-New Bedford WLWC CW The CW 28

South Carolina
Charleston WMMP My Network TV My TV Charleston
Columbia WKTC My Network TV My 63
Greenville-Spartanburg-Asheville WLOS ABC ABC 13
Myrtle Beach-Florence WWMB CW Channel 21

Tennessee
Chattanooga WDSI-D2 My Network TV My Network Chattanooga
Tri-Cities WEMT FOX FOX Tri-Cities

Virginia
Charlottesville WVIR NBC NBC 29
Harrisonburg WHSV-D4 My Network TV My Valley
Norfolk-Portsmouth-Newport News WGNT CW CW 27
Richmond-Petersburg WTVR CBS CBS 6
Roanoke-Lynchburg WDBJ CBS WDBJ 7

West Virginia
Bluefield-Beckley WVNS CBS TV 59

dukelifer
03-15-2014, 08:08 AM
The bad news is that we will be facing a much better offensive team tomorrow.

The good news is that we will be facing a much worse defensive team tomorrow.

Hopefully, State's defense will do worse than our defense.

That will be the game. Also State may be just as bad at holding onto leads. State has the great player playing great going for them. They also have the motivation of a win against Duke and they are in the big dance. It will be an intense game.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-15-2014, 08:09 AM
you guys will def. have the fan advantage. all of the state fans are either dead or in ICU from the Cuse game

But you will have the benefit of any fan of any other ACC team that has bothered to stick around.

I anticipate a great game and a lively crowd.

Reilly
03-15-2014, 08:20 AM
Here is the list of ACC Network affiliates carrying the game. It is a lot more than the quarterfinal, so those who prefer this feed who did not get it for the last game may be in luck now. This feed will also be on the ACC website.

District Of Columbia
Washington, DC (Hagerstown, MD) WDCA My Network TV MY 20

Florida
Fort Myers-Naples WXCW CW '6'
Jacksonville WAWS FOX FOX 30
Miami-Fort Lauderdale WBFS My Network TV MY 33
Orlando-Daytona Beach-Melbourne WRBW My Network TV My 65
Panama City WMBB-D2 This TV This Panama City (13.2)
Tallahassee-Thomasville WTLH FOX FOX 49
Tampa-St. Petersburg (Sarasota) WTOG CW CW 44
West Palm Beach-Ft. Pierce WTVX CW The CW West Palm

Georgia
Albany WSWG-D2 My Network TV WSWG-DT2 (WSWG.2)
Atlanta WATL My Network TV My Atl TV
Augusta-Aiken WFXG FOX FOX 54
Savannah WGSA CW Savannah's CW

Maryland
Baltimore WNUV CW The CW Baltimore
Hagerstown WHAG NBC Channel 26
Salisbury WRDE-DT My Network TV My RTV 9

Massachusetts
Boston (Manchester) WSBK IND TV 38
Springfield-Holyoke (WSBK) IND TV 38

New York
Albany WNYA My Network TV My 4 Albany
Binghamton WICZ FOX FOX 40 News
Elmira WYDC FOX Big FOX
Rochester WUHF FOX WUHF-TV
Syracuse WSTQ CW CW 6

North Carolina
Charlotte WBTV CBS WBTV 3
Greensboro- Winston-Salem -High Point WFMY CBS WFMY News 2
Greenville-New Bern-Washington WCTI ABC WCTI 12
Raleigh-Durham (Fayetteville) WRAL CBS WRAL TV 5
Wilmington WECT NBC TV 6

Pennsylvania
Pittsburgh WTAE-D2 This TV
State College-Johnstown-Altoona WHVL My Network TV Happy Valley
Wilkes Barre-Scanton WQMY My Network TV My Network TV WQMY

Rhode Island
Providence-New Bedford WLWC CW The CW 28

South Carolina
Charleston WMMP My Network TV My TV Charleston
Columbia WKTC My Network TV My 63
Greenville-Spartanburg-Asheville WLOS ABC ABC 13
Myrtle Beach-Florence WWMB CW Channel 21

Tennessee
Chattanooga WDSI-D2 My Network TV My Network Chattanooga
Tri-Cities WEMT FOX FOX Tri-Cities

Virginia
Charlottesville WVIR NBC NBC 29
Harrisonburg WHSV-D4 My Network TV My Valley
Norfolk-Portsmouth-Newport News WGNT CW CW 27
Richmond-Petersburg WTVR CBS CBS 6
Roanoke-Lynchburg WDBJ CBS WDBJ 7

West Virginia
Bluefield-Beckley WVNS CBS TV 59

And I believe Brando said last night that it'll be him and G-man on the call. Really enjoy Gminski, and while Brando used to annoy me a bit, he's grown on me over the years, and last night he really was showing historical knowledge of and appreciation for the ACC.

Bob Green
03-15-2014, 08:37 AM
Duke beat State by 35 points back on January 18, which has zero bearing on today's game; however, utilizing a quick review of the box score to refresh my memory, a couple of things stick out:

1. T.J. Warren scored 23 points but no other Wolfpack player scored in double figures
2. Duke made 45.8% on 3 PT FGs

Hopefully today's game plan takes those two facts into account.

duke4ever19
03-15-2014, 08:57 AM
Will we see Andre in the starting lineup once again? I thought it was a strange move by Coach K. Not sure what to make of it. Perhaps he just wanted to try something out and abandoned it rather quickly.

devildeac
03-15-2014, 09:16 AM
Duke beat State by 35 points back on January 18, which has zero bearing on today's game; however, utilizing a quick review of the box score to refresh my memory, a couple of things stick out:

1. T.J. Warren scored 23 points but no other Wolfpack player scored in double figures
2. Duke made 45.8% on 3 PT FGs

Hopefully today's game plan takes those two facts into account.

Agreed, Bob. Plus:

1. Figure out some way to keep Warren from going off for some insane # of points.
2. Keep them out of the lane for easy buckets/assists.
3. Rebound ferociously.

Bob Green
03-15-2014, 09:22 AM
Will we see Andre in the starting lineup once again?

I am not concerned whether Dawkins starts or not; however, I am very concerned about how many minutes he plays and how many FGs he attempts. Shooters have to shoot. Dawkins attempted one FG against Clemson. A lot of teams would kill to have an offensive threat like Dawkins available, but for us all he does is ride the pine. Perhaps the fan base needs to breakout some "Free Andre" signs and wave them around in the Greensboro Coliseum stands!

kAzE
03-15-2014, 09:27 AM
It's a totally different team than the one we smashed in Cameron. That said, we've seemingly had more success defending scoring wings like Warren than speedy guards and skilled bigs. I hope we can shut down Warren, if he's held in check, our chances should be pretty good. I thought Jabari deserved the ACC POY over Warren, so hopefully he has a much better game and proves the voters wrong. (It makes no sense to me that Jabari is a first team All-American, and lost out to Warren, who is not an AA)

Henderson
03-15-2014, 10:20 AM
Looks like Duke is a 10 point favorite.

Here's hoping for better shooting, equally good rebounding, equally good care-taking of the ball, continued excellence at the line, and more points in the paint than against Clemson. (I think something like 30% of our points were in the paint last night).

weezie
03-15-2014, 10:25 AM
Here is the list of ACC Network affiliates carrying the game.
[/code]

Well done, thank you!

wsb3
03-15-2014, 11:05 AM
I am not concerned whether Dawkins starts or not; however, I am very concerned about how many minutes he plays and how many FGs he attempts. Shooters have to shoot. Dawkins attempted one FG against Clemson. A lot of teams would kill to have an offensive threat like Dawkins available, but for us all he does is ride the pine. Perhaps the fan base needs to breakout some "Free Andre" signs and wave them around in the Greensboro Coliseum stands!

Bob,

I certainly agree with you about Andre. We need him.

jv001
03-15-2014, 11:13 AM

I don't understand the limited minutes Andre gets. However, I'm proud of the way he cheers for his teammates on the bench. He's not sulking or hanging his head. And like you say Bob, teams would kill to have an offensive weapon like Dre. Beat State and GoDuke!

bbq-devil
03-15-2014, 11:32 AM
I was watching Dre in the second half warm ups. He hit 14 threes in a row at one point. If he can set his feet and get a good look he is money. Not sure why he doesn't get more burn, especially when the offense stagnates late.

His stroke is sweet.

jv001
03-15-2014, 11:35 AM
I was watching Dre in the second half warm ups. He hit 14 threes in a row at one point. If he can set his feet and get a good look he is money. Not sure why he doesn't get more burn, especially when the offense stagnates late.

His stroke is sweet.

I wish the team would run more screens while he's in the game. Last night with Clemson doubling down on Jabari, I kept thinking now would be a good time to have Andre in the game for a kick out. Well that never happened. Beat State and GoDuke!

Dukeface88
03-15-2014, 11:58 AM
I don't understand the limited minutes Andre gets. However, I'm proud of the way he cheers for his teammates on the bench. He's not sulking or hanging his head. And like you say Bob, teams would kill to have an offensive weapon like Dre. Beat State and GoDuke!

Dre was yanked after fouling on a 3-point shot. Rasheed was also pulled after doing the same thing on the next play (although that one at least didn't go in). I expect if that hadn't happened, Dre would have gotten most of the minutes Matt ended up with.

Matches
03-15-2014, 12:05 PM
The previous game got out of hand because (a) State couldn't handle our ball pressure, and (b) State had no answer for Jabari.

They've gotten a little more steady with the ball since then but it's still not a strength. They still have no answer for Jabari.

I look to see us pressure the ball very aggressively, and do everything possible to get Jabari the ball in the post.

I am assuming Hood will be on Warren - obviously a key matchup to watch. Warren's going to get his points - we just can't let him go completely bezerk. We are a bad matchup for State - they are playing well and certainly are capable of winning the game, but if we bring it today we should have a significant advantage.

MCFinARL
03-15-2014, 12:14 PM
Dre was yanked after fouling on a 3-point shot. Rasheed was also pulled after doing the same thing on the next play (although that one at least didn't go in). I expect if that hadn't happened, Dre would have gotten most of the minutes Matt ended up with.

Yes. But Rasheed came back in, and even took Dre's starting spot in the second half. Once again, Dre seems to be on the short leash--one mistake and he is done unless foul trouble to Hood or some other specific factor brings him back in. I thought Andre was playing tough, effective defense before that error (not that I am an expert), but it didn't seem to count for much.

Agree with others that Andre is an offensive weapon we could use, and that he won't be able to make that contribution if he only gets one shot per game. And I suspect he's a bit less likely than some of the younger players to get rattled when things get tense. Given they trusted him enough to give him the start, for whatever reason, it's a bit surprising the coaches didn't give him any chance at all in the second half. But of course, they know things we don't know, etc., etc., etc.

Very glad to see Andre remaining engaged on the bench, regardless of his own playing time, even though he clearly would like to be out there more. There was a great shot last night of him embracing a teammate (maybe Tyler?) coming off the court at the end of the game.

As has been said many times before on this board and elsewhere, Andre is a young man who is running his own race--and in that one, he seems very definitely to be winning. I hope his coaches and teammates are acknowledging that accomplishment in other ways, if not in playing time.

DukeAlumBS
03-15-2014, 12:31 PM
Bob,

I certainly agree with you about Andre. We need him.

I agree as well. He is our best at the 3. He should be getting time each game. He can not sit. Then expect him to hit 5-7. He has come through for us in the past as well. I hope they go back to the rotating line up. It seemed to work, especially against NCSU. Thus Dawkins gets his time. Have nice day
Jimmy

Dukehky
03-15-2014, 12:33 PM
LET IT RIDE!!!!!!

GO DUKE, BEAT STATE!

I still like State basketball teams for some reason, they're like the runt puppy who still tries really hard to beat his bigger siblings in play-fights, and always loses, but he's a lovable loser. So as long as we play well, if TJ just goes bonkers, I won't be all too upset. We just need to get in the habit of playing well, or better in quick-turnover games.

Also, our Tyler could eat their tyler (Notice the subtle capitalizations)

jipops
03-15-2014, 12:49 PM

If Andre's shot isn't going down he's not providing much value out there. Unlike Sheed he's not capable of generating any offense for others and he's more of a liability on defense for a team that already struggles in that area.

That being said, an Andre that is able to knock down shots always provides a huge lift and opens up the floor. I agree we need him badly.

DU82
03-15-2014, 12:58 PM
Plenty of cheap tix at the coliseum. If you're within an hours drive, come on down!

jipops
03-15-2014, 01:04 PM
I think forcing turnovers may be a must in order for us to have a chance to win. I don't think we'll get many stops when State gets into their offense. Vandenburg has been playing very well for them lately, he could pose a lot of problems for us. I fully expect another tense ending.

MCFinARL
03-15-2014, 01:06 PM
If Andre's shot isn't going down he's not providing much value out there. Unlike Sheed he's not capable of generating any offense for others and he's more of a liability on defense for a team that already struggles in that area.

That being said, an Andre that is able to knock down shots always provides a huge lift and opens up the floor. I agree we need him badly.

And if he only gets one chance to shoot it's hard to know whether his shot is going down or not. People sometimes advance the theory that if Andre's first one doesn't go in, he isn't on--but often if he doesn't hit his first, or sometimes his second, shot, he doesn't get any more opportunities.

Clay Feet POF
03-15-2014, 01:07 PM
I wish the team would run more screens while he's in the game. Last night with Clemson doubling down on Jabari, I kept thinking now would be a good time to have Andre in the game for a kick out. Well that never happened. Beat State and GoDuke!

Excellent Point! What are the Coaches seeing that we’re not seeing!

jipops
03-15-2014, 01:11 PM
And if he only gets one chance to shoot it's hard to know whether his shot is going down or not. People sometimes advance the theory that if Andre's first one doesn't go in, he isn't on--but often if he doesn't hit his first, or sometimes his second, shot, he doesn't get any more opportunities.

He didn't exactly hunt his shot very well either after that miss. And Clemson was certainly making the effort to close on him. But he's a senior, he should also be demanding the ball. So like I said, if Andre is not hitting shots (and you have to shoot to make them), then he's not providing much value.

OldPhiKap
03-15-2014, 01:18 PM
FWIW, K discussed how well Sheed played in the post-gMe presser. So it may be more about what Sheed is giving than what Dre is not.

We need both.

Troublemaker
03-15-2014, 01:45 PM
Has this been said yet?

Happy Birthday, Jabari!!!!

May you celebrate today with an ACC semi win.

DukeDevil
03-15-2014, 01:53 PM
Someone had a happy birthday Jabari sign at the coliseum yesterday.

I quote coach K's pressor for today..."I believe in Rodney, it's sink or swim with him, let's go swimming!"

Henderson
03-15-2014, 02:51 PM
I agree as well. He is our best at the 3. He should be getting time each game. He can not sit. Then expect him to hit 5-7. He has come through for us in the past as well. I hope they go back to the rotating line up. It seemed to work, especially against NCSU. Thus Dawkins gets his time. Have nice day
Jimmy

Look, I love Dre, and his personal story is incredible. But this idea that we need him or that he's our best 3 point shooter is just not accurate. We all know he's not the best defender. What we want to rely upon is his shooting, especially from 3. But he's just not getting it done.

In the past 6 games, here are his offensive stats.

UNC: 2-5 from the field, 0-3 from 3
Syracuse: 0-2 from the field, 0-2 from 3
VT: 1-5 from the field, 1-4 from 3
Wake: 3-6 from the field, 1-4 from 3
Carolina: 3-8 from the field, 1-5 from 3
Clemson: 0-1 from the field, 0-1 from 3

Totals: 9-26 from the field (34.6%), 3-18 from 3 (16.7%)

And he should get MORE minutes because....? His defense?

riverside6
03-15-2014, 03:27 PM
Live tempo based stats forward Duke/NC state, starters posted

http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=26063

ChrisP
03-15-2014, 03:41 PM
Man, what I wouldn't give for even a decent % from 3 for a whole game again. Nice to see Rasheed knock one down finally

mapei
03-15-2014, 03:44 PM
Man, what I wouldn't give for even a decent % from 3 for a whole game again. Nice to see Rasheed knock one down finally

Agreed. We need to make 3s to win.

Discouraging that they are still talking about officiating. :(

ChrisP
Omg, what is Vitale talking about with the "foul" at end of Clemson game?!?!

Watch the replay! Jeez!!!

pfrduke
Someone has to help on those backdoor cuts if Hood is going to ball denial that tightly. Otherwise, the back door will be open all day.

ChrisP
03-15-2014, 03:45 PM

Discouraging that they are still talking about officiating. :(

That Hood shot will work!

pfrduke
03-15-2014, 03:46 PM
Looks like Jones will be off the bench before Quinn (edit: Quinn coming in now after Sheed took a really stupid shot)

Gthoma2a
03-15-2014, 03:47 PM
Rasheed needs to stop looking for the foul so much. That little step back jumper is used too often to try for a foul more than to hit the shot.

Les Grossman
03-15-2014, 03:47 PM
continues from last night

pfrduke
03-15-2014, 03:48 PM
We are getting SO MANY OPEN LOOKS. So frustrating not to see them fall.

devilnfla
03-15-2014, 03:49 PM
We are getting SO MANY OPEN LOOKS. So frustrating not to see them fall.

With all those open looks, I would like to see Dre get an opportunity.

jipops
03-15-2014, 03:50 PM
Can't shoot. Can't defend.

ChrisP
03-15-2014, 03:50 PM
Looks like Jones will be off the bench before Quinn (edit: Quinn coming in now after Sheed took a really stupid shot)

I agree - really bad shot. I swear, when we are patient and make a few passes, we get MUCH better looks. It's not that complicated but it's mid-March and we still don't seem to have figured it out :(

pfrduke
03-15-2014, 03:51 PM
I agree - really bad shot. I swear, when we are patient and make a few passes, we get MUCH better looks. It's not that complicated but it's mid-March and we still don't seem to have figured it out :(

We give away about 3-4 possessions a game where a guy gets the ball in his hands and simply decides that, come what may, he's going to shoot it.

pfrduke
03-15-2014, 03:52 PM
Also, 10 minutes in and no sign of Dawkins. Even Josh got in before Andre. He may spend a lot of time today on the bench.

Dukeface88
03-15-2014, 03:53 PM

I can't disagree more. What we need to do is not miss a ton of 3s. If that not means not taking a ton of threes, then so be it.

The idea that we can only win if we make 3s is exactly the mindset that has gotten us into trouble the entire year. We have plenty of other ways to score.

mapei
03-15-2014, 03:53 PM
Warren is scary.

jipops
03-15-2014, 03:54 PM
State likely to have 2.0 ppp this game.

Les Grossman
03-15-2014, 03:55 PM
but State is a one man team.
Now, this particular one man team is beating our five, but still...

CR9
03-15-2014, 03:55 PM
Jacking up 3's instead of attacking the rim. Yay.

pfrduke
03-15-2014, 03:58 PM
Clemson and NC State have combined to hit 26 of their last 38 shots from the field against us. Our defense is bad, but it isn't really that bad. At some point this hot shooting against us is going to slow down.

(right?)

jipops
03-15-2014, 03:59 PM
Clemson and NC State have combined to hit 26 of their last 38 shots from the field against us. Our defense is bad, but it isn't really that bad. At some point this hot shooting against us is going to slow down.

(right?)

No, it is this bad. Don't forget unc shot 60% against us.

devilnfla
03-15-2014, 03:59 PM
Cook can't guard Barber. Would rather see Rasheed on him.

mapei
03-15-2014, 04:00 PM
Cook can't guard Barber. Would rather see Rasheed on him.

Someone other than Hood may have to guard Warren now . . .

CLW
Defense nonexistent.

ChrisP
State likely to have 2.0 ppp this game.

Ugh, just...ugh :(

Warren & Barber just seem to have "it" today. Hood won't be much of a factor. He'll either be on the bench with foul trouble or just plain worn out trying to defend Warren.

I would love to see Andre right about now...

jipops
We aren't forcing any turnovers which doesn't give us much of a chance in this one. Eventually our offense is going to fade.

bbosbbos
03-15-2014, 04:01 PM
Cat Barber and Lewis are the point to defend. They turn over very easily. However, we have not done anything on them. Instead we sleep walk around them. Cook, Rasheed and Thorton should defend better.

Duke95
The fact that we are a very average team this year is becoming readily apparent. We have gone downhill since the epic game at Syracuse. That was this year's apex.

dairedevil
They may not be playing "stall ball", but it seems to be working for state to run the shot clock down to about 7 before scoring. If Duke ended the possessions last night with a score or a foul, there would be no complaints about using that tactic.

-jk
Warren exaggerated contact several time before.

-jk

ChrisP
03-15-2014, 04:02 PM
Ah yes, the Parker step back 3. Because that works ALL the time

pfrduke
...27 of 39...

Utley
Clemson and NC State have combined to hit 26 of their last 38 shots from the field against us. Our defense is bad, but it isn't really that bad. At some point this hot shooting against us is

(right?)

I was just thinking (and hoping) the same thing.

CLW
03-15-2014, 04:03 PM
72 percent where is the heart to get a stop

Tappan Zee Devil
03-15-2014, 04:04 PM
State is hitting over 70% from the floor for the first 15 minutes. This is astonishing.
How can we allow this?
Can they keep it up?

devilnfla
03-15-2014, 04:04 PM
I wish we could play D without fouling.

ChrisP
03-15-2014, 04:05 PM
You know, if we just lacked talent or had major injuries to overcome, I could sort of understand our current level of play but this...this is just unbelievably frustrating to watch

CLW
03-15-2014, 04:07 PM
First to 150 wins no effort on D

Henderson
T.J. Warren. Good player.

Potato
We aren't forcing any turnovers which doesn't give us much of a chance in this one. Eventually our offense is going to fade.

Ding ding ding

bbosbbos
How to defend TJ Warren? How to beat them on board? You guys are all wrong. To beat Packs, you need to beat their PG. That is it.

pfrduke
03-15-2014, 04:09 PM
Since the 15:00 mark, State has missed two shots from the field. They got the offensive rebound and scored off each one. They've had 1(!!!!) empty possession in the last 12 minutes (a missed Warren front end).

jipops
I just have the feeling that State is about to blow this wide open. We're making a huge mistake not getting out on the ball handler at the halfcourt line.

Gthoma2a
T.J. Warren. Good player.

Jabari Parker is better.

pfrduke
03-15-2014, 04:10 PM
A stop! Fantastic - let's turn it into a streak.

slower
03-15-2014, 04:10 PM
I'm thankful that I don't watch games live any more. It's just WAY too frustrating. If they win, I'll watch the recording.

If you want some comic relief, go over to the "#1 Seed" thread to see how many people are still drinking the kool-aid.

Now of course, ANY game can have ANY result. If you think you have some grand insight into how any game will turn out - well, you really don't. And please - PLEASE - don't say that other teams are "scared" to play us. They're not.

ChrisP
03-15-2014, 04:12 PM
I guess that, in addition to hacking Jabari with impunity, you are now allowed to trip him, too?! WTH?

Dukeface88
03-15-2014, 04:12 PM
There was a heck of a lot of not-ball on that Vandenburg "block".

Les Grossman
03-15-2014, 04:14 PM
State shooting 68% for the half!

Olé Defense

Gthoma2a
I'd like to see Jabari getting to defend with Okafor behind him. I think it would make a world of difference having a premier center to take some of the pressure off of him.

Utley
Nice half by Cook.

ChrisP
03-15-2014, 04:15 PM
Omg, what was Cook doing at the end of the half?!????

Les Grossman
that half is over

Gthoma2a
I guess that, in addition to hacking Jabari with impunity, you are now allowed to trip him, too?! WTH?

Two points, takedown!

ice-9
03-15-2014, 04:16 PM
Quinn Cook with the ball in his hands with the seconds left on the clock = argh.

He needs to pass it earlier for Hood, Parker or even Rasheed to make the final play.

Also wish he did a better job on Barber.

But otherwise, a good half for Quinn especially when it comes to shooting.

CLW
03-15-2014, 04:17 PM
Pretty poor effort they better bring it in the 2nd half or they will get blown out in the 2nd half

devilnfla
Nice half by Cook.

Minus his on ball defense.

Duke79UNLV77
I think you have to give Warren some credit for making some tough shots and realize that Cat Barber just isn't a good shooter normally. We can live with his taking those shots, and they could be fool's gold.

I would like to see Dawkins. It seems like each year when it becomes clear that he'll get pulled quickly if he's not hot right away, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy.

Quinn has had some weak end of half possessions this year, but played well up to that point.

pfrduke
03-15-2014, 04:18 PM
That may have been our worst defensive half if the year.

Well, worst defensive first half at least. Last night's second half gives this one a run for its money.

ChrisP
03-15-2014, 04:19 PM
I am the first to criticize our defense but...the other team still has to make shots. Of course, it's easier to make layups (of which we give up a lot!) but I have to give State credit for some very good shooting thus far.

Furniture
03-15-2014, 04:19 PM
Chill pills all around please!

jv001
03-15-2014, 04:22 PM
Quinn Cook with the ball in his hands with the seconds left on the clock = argh.

He needs to pass it earlier for Hood, Parker or even Rasheed to make the final play.

Also wish he did a better job on Barber.

But otherwise, a good half for Quinn especially when it comes to shooting.

Bad play but like you said, a good half for Quinn. Beat State and GoDuke!

jipops
03-15-2014, 04:22 PM
We made Barber's life hell in Cameron by putting constant pressure on the ball so they had a hard time starting their offense. For some odd reason we gave them as much space as they wanted with zero ball pressure except for the last couple defensive possessions.

pfrduke
03-15-2014, 04:24 PM
I am the first to criticize our defense but...the other team still has to make shots. Of course, it's easier to make layups (of which we give up a lot!) but I have to give State credit for some very good shooting thus far.

Yeah, I agree with this. The vast majority of State's points were on jump shots, many at least decently contested.

ncexnyc
03-15-2014, 04:25 PM
Chill pills all around please!
My thoughts exactly! I'm reading this thread and expect us to be down 10-15 points at the half and low and behold as crappy as some people claim we have played, we're up one at the half.

Gthoma2a
03-15-2014, 04:25 PM
Some people are acting as though they thought that this was going to be easy. This may be State's last chance. For that reason, we need to be happy that we lead and hope for a win (no matter how impressively we do it).

Joseph
03-15-2014, 04:26 PM
We made Barber's life hell in Cameron by putting constant pressure on the ball so they had a hard time starting their offense. For some odd reason we gave them as much space as they wanted with zero ball pressure except for the last couple defensive possessions.

Dawkins worn out with all the time on the bench.

Billy Dat
It's hard to guess what is going to happen in the second half. I doubt they shoot 68%, but can we keep shooting 50%+.

Dukehky
That really was a strong defensive performance from us I thought. Hopefully the State shooters revert to the mean at some point in the second half, but if they don't and they end up winning, good for them.

Just need to keep getting Jabari the ball on the block, they can't stop it.

I would like to see Dre get a little run here see if he can get hot because they are leaving our shooters open.

Glad to go in to half with a lead because State played out of their minds. Cat Barber is a terrible shooter historically, and I doubt he'll continue to rain in long, contested midi-range jump shots.

dairedevil
03-15-2014, 04:27 PM
Just think how happy we would have been last night if at the half we had39 points, shot 50%, 5 for 12 on 3's, hit all of our free throws... unfortunately, it's not Clemson,at Warren is 6 for 9, Barber 3 for 4. Hopefully, state will cool off, and Duke will make some good adjustments in the second half.

NYBri
03-15-2014, 04:28 PM
It's hard to guess what is going to happen in the second half. I doubt they shoot 68%, but can we keep shooting 50%+.

These are two bad defenses, so maybe they can. State shoots 68% and we're up by one.

Henderson
03-15-2014, 04:29 PM
Both teams playing well offensively with about 2-1 assist to turnover ratios and high FG%. But 67% for NC State? This must stop.

Duke95
03-15-2014, 04:31 PM
Remember the old days when we used to have a defense?
I know Warren is all that, but come on, this isn't Florida or Kansas we're playing. Those teams would destroy us at this point.

ChrisP
03-15-2014, 04:32 PM
I predict we don't win without Andre seeing some minutes and making at least 1 shot. Of course, it's kinda hard to score from the bench :(

pfrduke
03-15-2014, 04:32 PM
My thoughts exactly! I'm reading this thread and expect us to be down 10-15 points at the half and low and behold as crappy as some people claim we have played, we're up one at the half.

We played extremely well on offense. We have a very talented team on that half of the ball. It covers up a lot of issues.

But we're on a run of really uninspired defense that is concerning and that really needs to turn around:

Wake 2nd half - 46 points on 50% shooting from the floor (plus 20 FTAs)
UNC 1st half - 37 points on 61.9% shooting from the floor
UNC 2nd half - 44 points on 58.1% shooting from the floor
Clemson 1st half - we played well
Clemson 2nd half - 37 points on 66.7% shooting from the floor
NCSU 1st half - 38 points on 66.7% shooting from the floor

Gthoma2a
03-15-2014, 04:33 PM
Both teams playing well offensively with about 2-1 assist to turnover ratios and high FG%. But 67% for NC State? This must stop.

They've been playing really well in this tournament. They have just been making good plays. Personally, I think they will fall back down to earth by the time the game is over.

Gthoma2a
03-15-2014, 04:35 PM
Remember the old days when we used to have a defense?
I know Warren is all that, but come on, this isn't Florida or Kansas we're playing. Those teams would destroy us at this point.

His team gets him the ball in good positions and they haven't been turning it over in this tournament.

Jabari is getting on the rest of the team. That's good to see. He needs to be fiery.

mapei
03-15-2014, 04:35 PM
How many offensive boards does State have?

ChrisP
03-15-2014, 04:40 PM
If we lose, it will NOT be because of Jabari Parker.

pfrduke
03-15-2014, 04:40 PM
Cat Barber wanted nothing to do with Jabari Parker at full speed. You could almost see him thinking "do I really want to step in front and try to take a charge? Heck no!" as he shrugged out of the way.

Gthoma2a
03-15-2014, 04:42 PM
Cat Barber wanted nothing to do with Jabari Parker at full speed. You could almost see him thinking "do I really want to step in front and try to take a charge? Heck no!" as he shrugged out of the way.

Not many players at this level will want to come close to Jabari at full speed. He is the closest a lot of these guys will get to facing a charging Lebron.

ChrisP
03-15-2014, 04:43 PM
Terrible foul by Rasheed there. Arghhhh!!!

mapei
03-15-2014, 04:43 PM
I like the double team on Warren. Make someone else beat us.

CLW
03-15-2014, 04:44 PM
Closing time c a n they do it?

devilnfla
03-15-2014, 04:44 PM
Horrible call on Suliamon. No armbar. Duke NEVER gets that call.

bbosbbos
03-15-2014, 04:45 PM
I may intentionally lay on the ground and Parker will not know what to do.

Gthoma2a
03-15-2014, 04:46 PM
Now, it's like the first game.

bbosbbos
03-15-2014, 04:46 PM
That is the only way to keep Packs in the game. If their PG fails, they will be run out of the stadium.

Horrible call on Suliamon. No armbar. Duke NEVER gets that call.

BluDvlsN1
03-15-2014, 04:47 PM
Some commentators should not be commentating.

Presser.

ChrisP
03-15-2014, 04:47 PM
Hood picks up his 3rd by not boxing out :(

Utley
03-15-2014, 04:49 PM
Separate now or scary battle until the end. Need Quinn to step in here for TT.

Gthoma2a
03-15-2014, 04:49 PM
Thornton needs to be careful now, but why is there never a substitute for Dawkins?

Anya is in. RUN!!! He cannot keep up with a fast game.

devilnfla
03-15-2014, 04:51 PM
Hairston getting Plumlee minutes?

ChrisP
03-15-2014, 04:51 PM
Why did Rasheed NOT drive it to the hoop there????

Furniture
03-15-2014, 04:52 PM
The State fans are quiet now. Need to keep it that way.

jipops
03-15-2014, 04:55 PM
State making mistakes now

ChrisP
03-15-2014, 04:55 PM
11 point lead and the ball and...a bad turnover for a layup for State :(

dairedevil
03-15-2014, 04:56 PM
Wringing my hands as we get to the 11:00 mark...Please, please no scoring drought for Duke! State's shooting percentage has dropped below Duke's..let's keep it that way.

jipops
03-15-2014, 04:58 PM
Crunch time coming. Will be interesting to see how we respond this time. Expect Warren to get all the touches

pfrduke
03-15-2014, 04:59 PM
We've executed the zone offense very well so far. We're not just throwing the ball around the perimeter, but we're probing and screening and moving the ball to get good shots.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
Watching with a State fan. He asked if Duke would be up enough points ro weather the inevitable late scoring drought.

Ha

I like how Duke is scoring in so many different ways. 3's, slashes, jump shots, dunks...

Utley
4 good minutes here guys - come on!

Utley
03-15-2014, 05:00 PM
Horrible shot by Jabari and then lapse on d by Amile. Come on!

ChrisP
And ANOTHER bad step back by Jabari. Step on their throats!!!!

g-money
If we can finish this game strong, it will be a big confidence builder. Let's go Duke!

devilnfla
03-15-2014, 05:02 PM
Whoever told Jabari those were good shots needs to be shot.

jipops
Crunchlapse time?

nyesq83
It suddenly occurred to me that Duke will sub out players who get called for frequent dubious fouls based on officials' foul calling.

Jefferson soft with the ball.

Is the Warren foul a makeup call?

ChrisP
03-15-2014, 05:03 PM
So...9 point lead under 7 to go. When will stall ball begin?

I hope I don't see it until 3:59 or less on the clock

mapei
03-15-2014, 05:03 PM
Whoever told Jabari those were good shots needs to be shot.

I'm OK with him taking that. It's easily within his range and a big boost if he makes.

ChrisP
03-15-2014, 05:04 PM
I'm OK with him taking that. It's easily within his range and a big boost if he makes.

I am not. It's just a bad shot for a bunch of reasons. Chief among them is the fact it was well-defended.

devilnfla
03-15-2014, 05:05 PM

Except he never makes those. If he steps back or to the side he misses them.

ChrisP
03-15-2014, 05:07 PM
Now THAT is how to run clock. Even if Rasheed missed or didn't get fouled, I am happy with that shot

ChrisP
03-15-2014, 05:08 PM
Would be nice to make at least 1 FT though

mapei
03-15-2014, 05:09 PM
Need to make these FTs!

CLW
03-15-2014, 05:09 PM
4 straight missed free throws

devilnfla
03-15-2014, 05:10 PM
FT's......ugh

mapei
03-15-2014, 05:10 PM
Anybody else sick of hearing about Joe Lunardi?

jipops
03-15-2014, 05:11 PM
How are we not putting this away?

It's all ft's from here on out.

ChrisP
03-15-2014, 05:11 PM
Hey Vitale, you know how to not have to play 3 games in 3 days? Be better in the regular season.

devilnfla
03-15-2014, 05:13 PM
Hey Vitale, you know how to not have to play 3 games in 3 days? Be better in the regular season.

Glad I can listen to the ACC broadcast.

pfrduke
03-15-2014, 05:13 PM
We played extremely well on offense. We have a very talented team on that half of the ball. It covers up a lot of issues.

But we're on a run of really uninspired defense that is concerning and that really needs to turn around:

Wake 2nd half - 46 points on 50% shooting from the floor (plus 20 FTAs)
UNC 1st half - 37 points on 61.9% shooting from the floor
UNC 2nd half - 44 points on 58.1% shooting from the floor
Clemson 1st half - we played well
Clemson 2nd half - 37 points on 66.7% shooting from the floor
NCSU 1st half - 38 points on 66.7% shooting from the floor

So far, just 17 points in 16 minutes for State, on 27% shooting from the floor (6-22). Much better.

arnie
03-15-2014, 05:14 PM
Wringing my hands as we get to the 11:00 mark...Please, please no scoring drought for Duke! State's shooting percentage has dropped below Duke's..let's keep it that way.

Looking good but D needs to stay strong

ChrisP
03-15-2014, 05:15 PM
Missing FT's and giving up 3 on the other end is how we could lose. No way Quinn should be tired. Oy vey!!

devilnfla

And of course the whole charity stripe ordeal.

mapei

Need. To. Make. Free. Throws.

Utley
03-15-2014, 05:16 PM
State wants to roll over and we won't let them. Totally unacceptable from the line and then bad foul by Jabari.

nyesq83
03-15-2014, 05:17 PM
ewwwwwwwwww

Steven43
03-15-2014, 05:17 PM
I'm sure your comment was primarily made in jest, however, when you say 'State fans are dead' do you mean many of State's long-time fans are literally old or gone and you are not getting new young fans, OR did you simply mean to 'put dead or in ICU' together in regard to the frustration of losing a game (Syracuse) State fans feel you should have won? Just curious.

ChrisP
03-15-2014, 05:18 PM
Good god, at least ATTEMPT a shot!!!

Cannot turn it over there!!!

CR9
03-15-2014, 05:18 PM
Here comes the choke job.

CDu
03-15-2014, 05:19 PM
Stall ball working exactly like it is supposed to work. We just have to hit free throws.

ChrisP
03-15-2014, 05:19 PM
Here comes the choke job.

I hope not! If we lose this one, I will need to be HEAVILY sedated

mapei
03-15-2014, 05:20 PM
HUGE, Jabari!

CR9
Unbelievable that this game is close. Free throws FFS.

pfrduke
We have to find a way to defend without fouling. So many times down the stretch we put our opponents on the line.

ChrisP
03-15-2014, 05:21 PM
Stall ball working exactly like it is supposed to work. We just have to hit free throws.

Word! Can't believe how many we have missed - and all by good shooters :(

ChrisP
03-15-2014, 05:23 PM
Good lord!!! Rasheed!!!!!!!

ChrisP
03-15-2014, 05:25 PM
Just. Get. This. OVER!

CR9
03-15-2014, 05:26 PM
Quinn has played solidly. Won't say well because their little point guard burned him a few times in the first half.

ChrisP
03-15-2014, 05:27 PM
Ummm...how did State get the ball back there with 33 secs to go???

-jk
03-15-2014, 05:28 PM
Really fast fifth-second count...

-jk

Native
03-15-2014, 05:28 PM
Ummm...how did State get the ball back there with 33 secs to go???

Five-second violation.

ChrisP
03-15-2014, 05:29 PM
Five-second violation.

Oh, ok. Thanks. Wouldn't know it from Vitale...

ChrisP
03-15-2014, 05:30 PM
Gotta admire State's heart but..just a few FT'S made and this one would be over

-jk
03-15-2014, 05:32 PM
Hit. Your. FTs.

-jk

mapei
Jabari = talent + will to win. MOTM.

dairedevil
boy, it feels like these last 3 minutes have taken an hour and a half...so ready for this to be over-with a W

ChrisP
03-15-2014, 05:34 PM
Obviously, MUCH better half for Duke here. Way to go (except for the FT'S, of course)