PDA

View Full Version : Hello, Brooklyn? ACC Tournament may be headed to Barclays Center

Duvall
03-14-2014, 02:15 AM
Two-year deal apparently in the works. (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-basketball/news/20140314/acc-tournament-barclays-center-2017/)

The Atlantic Coast Conference is finalizing details for a multi-year agreement to play its postseason tournament at the Barclays Center. The details are expected to be completed by the end of the month, according to multiple sources.

The ACC desires a two-year agreement that could start as early as 2017, the next uncommitted year for the ACC Tournament. (The ACC plays in Greensboro in 2015 and in Washington DC in 2016).

The looming issue with playing at the Barclays Center in 2017 is the Atlantic 10 Tournament, as 2017 is the final installment of the A-10's five-year agreement with the Barclays Center. The details of how the ACC and A-10 will navigate that have not been finalized and are expected to be discussed in the Atlantic 10's presidents and athletic directors meetings on Friday morning.

hurleyfor3
03-14-2014, 02:47 AM
http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4001&d=1394779278

Des Esseintes
03-14-2014, 03:41 AM
Much as I love Greensboro, I sure wouldn't mind having the tournament a twenty minute walk from my house instead. Aces.

HaveFunExpectToWin
03-14-2014, 09:40 AM
Greensboro and Charlotte made sense when it was a nine team league. Given the expansion, it only makes sense to move to a bigger stage, and there isn't a bigger stage than NYC even if it's just Brooklyn (note: I like Brooklyn).

Day trips for local North Carolinians will be impossible now, which is a negative and a positive. Local Duke fans will be squeezed, but the numerous UNC fans in the state will loose their majority presence. I'd call that net positive.

Bonus: Pork Slope is just down the street from Barclays.

flyingdutchdevil
03-14-2014, 09:51 AM
Greensboro and Charlotte made sense when it was a nine team league. Given the expansion, it only makes sense to move to a bigger stage, and there isn't a bigger stage than NYC even if it's just Brooklyn (note: I like Brooklyn).

Day trips for local North Carolinians will be impossible now, which is a negative and a positive. Local Duke fans will be squeezed, but the numerous UNC fans in the state will loose their majority presence. I'd call that net positive.

Bonus: Pork Slope is just down the street from Barclays.

I have to agree 100%. The ACC isn't a South-of-the-Mason-Dixon-line conference anymore. We need full East Coast exposure, and I think Brooklyn is a great choice: biggest city in the US, amazing marketing opportunity, Billy King giving the royal treatment to Duke, Russian oligarch protection...everyone wins!

Turk
03-14-2014, 09:54 AM
Haven't been to Barclay's yet; I've been tempted to try and catch some of the A-10 tourney up there but the calendars didn't line up. Maybe see what Sunday's games look like. I guess the A-10 is planning on moving its location around too.

Fair or not, I must admit a bias for MSG - I love getting off the Amtrak train and walking upstairs into the gym. Now that the Big Least has been cannibalized, why not make MSG an offer they can't refuse?

luburch
03-14-2014, 10:00 AM
Haven't been to Barclay's yet; I've been tempted to try and catch some of the A-10 tourney up there but the calendars didn't line up. Maybe see what Sunday's games look like. I guess the A-10 is planning on moving its location around too.

Fair or not, I must admit a bias for MSG - I love getting off the Amtrak train and walking upstairs into the gym. Now that the Big Least has been cannibalized, why not make MSG an offer they can't refuse?

When I went to the Barclays last November I was a little disappointed. Yes, the venue was modern, but there really wasn't much to it. Maybe they've added more since then. Otherwise it was a little bland.

Turk
03-14-2014, 10:01 AM
Actually, the A-10 still has dibs, but apparently the ACC must be making a Godfather offer...

How do you feel about the ACC / A-10 challenge? Woot woot!

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10606349/a-10-change-barclays-dates-2017-acc

ChillinDuke
03-14-2014, 11:01 AM

Barclays Center is a fanastic venue for bball games. It's convenient to get to, brand new (read: clean), good sight lines, comfortable seats. I've been to two NBA games there and thoroughly enjoyed the bball experience at both (the entertainment experience is a bit annoying at points with an MC that actually walks onto the floor during timeouts, but that's a production thing not a basketball thing).

The subway escalators lead right into a beautiful open air atrium at the entrance to the arena. Heavy rail is across the street. And the entire area has new construction of restaurants, shops, you name it.

I'd actually prefer playing our tourney at Barclays over MSG for these and many other reasons, despite MSG's "mecca" allure.

- Chillin

Henderson
03-14-2014, 11:16 AM
I like it. Lots of alums of most ACC schools in the NYC area. Much easier for alums from out of state to get to with public transportation too. I could see making an annual pilgrimage to the ACC Tourney if held there. Make it a NY vacation week. Not nearly so easy to get to Greensboro (which is also not much of a vacation venue). Better conference visibility for NYC-area recruits too. And we can all stay at Des Esseintes' place if we bring beer and promise to put the toilet seat down every time.

hurleyfor3
03-14-2014, 12:07 PM
If we wanted "New York that's not really New York", we could've just asked the Meadowlands all this time. Or there's an arena in Newark now. And don't tell me Brooklyn is just as good as MSG or I'll plaster the thread with more image macros.

Henderson
03-14-2014, 12:19 PM
If we wanted "New York that's not really New York", we could've just asked the Meadowlands all this time. Or there's an arena in Newark now. And don't tell me Brooklyn is just as good as MSG or I'll plaster the thread with more image macros.

Except Brooklyn is NYC. Meadowlands and Newark are not. I love MSG, but it's not on the table right now.

hurleyfor3
03-14-2014, 12:26 PM
You were warned.

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4002&d=1394814288

flyingdutchdevil
03-14-2014, 12:33 PM
You were warned.

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4002&d=1394814288

Ironic that we have this up because I have recently referred to Durham as the "Brooklyn of the South".

Des Esseintes
03-14-2014, 12:39 PM
Ironic that we have this up because I have recently referred to Durham as the "Brooklyn of the South".

Seriously. If anyone has set foot in the environs of Barclays or its adjoining Park Slope neighborhood, you'll know it is not exactly a Nylon magazine spread. And as you say, hipsters can be found everywhere, even in River City. But why miss an opportunity? Let's start posting photos of the stereotypes we associate with various cities and neighborhoods around the country. I'm sure that will be a totally edifying experience.

hurleyfor3
03-14-2014, 12:54 PM
Let's start posting photos of the stereotypes we associate with various cities and neighborhoods around the country. I'm sure that will be a totally edifying experience.

As long as we're conflating Brooklyn with Manhattan, why not?

Des Esseintes
03-14-2014, 01:12 PM
As long as we're conflating Brooklyn with Manhattan, why not?

Manhattan is one of five boroughs. Brooklyn is also one of five boroughs. They are both in New York City.

Henderson
03-14-2014, 01:52 PM
Manhattan is one of five boroughs. Brooklyn is also one of five boroughs. They are both in New York City.

Oh, come on. How are we supposed to know that? Don't the Dodgers play in LA?

ChillinDuke
03-14-2014, 02:06 PM
Why do mentions of NYC on this board seemingly always diverge into an off-putting, condescending conversation about the city's somehow sub-par ability to be any sort of location of interest, especially as it relates to basektball events?

It's dumbfounding, and frankly offensive. At least to me. And it's weird to boot.

The anti-NYC attitude(s) aside, Brooklyn is home to over 2 million people with the culture, nightlife, shopping, and activities to compete with any major metropolitan city in the United States of America and abroad. To compare it to the swampy region of North Jersey that has a sports complex largely detached from any coherent, centralized areas of interest is flat out ridiculous.

I'm just tired of the persistent jabs at NYC as a basketball destination and often beyond that. I live here. And I'll be happy to have the extra tickets available at Barclays if and when the deal is inked.

- Chillin

flyingdutchdevil
03-14-2014, 02:14 PM
Why do mentions of NYC on this board seemingly always diverge into an off-putting, condescending conversation about the city's somehow sub-par ability to be any sort of location of interest, especially as it relates to basektball events?

It's dumbfounding, and frankly offensive. At least to me. And it's weird to boot.

The anti-NYC attitude(s) aside, Brooklyn is home to over 2 million people with the culture, nightlife, shopping, and activities to compete with any major metropolitan city in the United States of America and abroad. To compare it to the swampy region of North Jersey that has a sports complex largely detached from any coherent, centralized areas of interest is flat out ridiculous.

I'm just tired of the persistent jabs at NYC as a basketball destination and often beyond that. I live here. And I'll be happy to have the extra tickets available at Barclays if and when the deal is inked.

- Chillin

I'm with you 100%. As a fan of a) the ACC, b) basketball, and c) the experience of being a fan, NYC makes a ton of sense. And given that Brooklyn is a bumping destination with, as you said, the culture, nightlife, shopping, and activities, I would hope it's Brooklyn. I have nothing against tradition, but the thought of the ACC Tournament in New York is 100x more enticing than Greensboro. Tradition < Fan Experience in bumping metropolis.

weezie
03-14-2014, 02:15 PM
Well I'm in! Wish we could skip DC and head right up there in 2016.

hurleyfor3
03-14-2014, 02:18 PM
Aren't New Yorkers supposed to be above being miffed when other people make fun of their city? I mean, it's the self-anointed greatest city on earth, worrying about what other people think is for places like Dallas and Charlotte.

Anyway, my sister lives in Manhattan. So if I ever feel like seeing Duke play there, which might happen in a couple weeks, that's like a whole grand saved on hotel rooms.

Me too.

devildeac
03-14-2014, 02:33 PM

- Chillin

Nothing at all wrong with "somewhere in the swamps of Jersey.";)

hurleyfor3
03-14-2014, 02:36 PM
Nothing at all wrong with "somewhere in the swamps of Jersey.";)

The NFL agrees.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Duke is undefeated in the swamps of Jersey. Definitely in postseason play. Nevermind, I guess we're undefeated in Brooklyn, too.

devildeac
03-14-2014, 02:50 PM
The NFL agrees.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Duke is undefeated in the swamps of Jersey. Definitely in postseason play. Nevermind, I guess we're undefeated in Brooklyn, too.

Very close, but not quite.

http://nj1015.com/duke-to-headline-college-basketball-event-at-meadowlands/

"Duke beat Butler at the Izod Center in December 2010 in a rematch of the NCAA championship game earlier that year. Prior to that, it played Xavier here in 2008. The Blue Devils have a 19-1 record at the Izod Center, winning five NCAA East Region finals."

From September, 2012.

Billy Dat
03-14-2014, 02:56 PM
Man, getting a table at Luger's that week will be tougher than ever.

Speaking of which, I will be making my first trip to the Barclays Center, preceded by a dinner at Luger's, in a few weeks not for basketball, but for BLACK SABBATH!

J4Kop99
03-14-2014, 03:44 PM
MSG>Barclays

flyingdutchdevil
03-14-2014, 03:46 PM

Speaking of which, I will be making my first trip to the Barclays Center, preceded by a dinner at Luger's, in a few weeks not for basketball, but for BLACK SABBATH!

Ummmmmmm.... extra-thick bacon.....

77devil
03-14-2014, 03:57 PM

- Chillin

Why? Because many people simply dislike NYC, particularly its residents. As for the swamp, let's not forget that Duke is almost unbeatable at the Meadowlands, something like 20+ and 2.

HaveFunExpectToWin
03-14-2014, 04:08 PM

Not so fast. Verizon Center is a great venue and without the Terps fans hanging around it'll be much more enjoyable. China Town has built up quite a bit since the last time the tourney was there (2005) and you can get a taste of the Brooklyn hipsters over on H Street.

Des Esseintes
03-14-2014, 04:13 PM
MSG>Barclays

Sure, but they're both great places. MSG has the magnificent tradition, and they did a wonderful job with Barclays. Hard to find fault with either place.

ChillinDuke
03-14-2014, 04:15 PM
Ummmmmmm.... extra-thick bacon.....

For sure.

And the schlag if you have a sweet tooth.

- Chillin

Turk
03-14-2014, 04:26 PM

- Chillin

Agreed. I have had some wonderful hoops weekends in NYC (some of which I even remember). Looking forward to Barclay's whenever that day comes. BTW, I caught a couple December games in MSG, and if you haven't been in the last year or so, they did a great job with that rehab as well. Clean, with all sorts of interesting memorabilia and photos in the concourse. For example, one of the young Turks asked, "Who is John Starks?" when we walked by a picture of his playoff dunk vs the Bulls.

But all this talk of Barclay's is way downstream. The East Regionals will be in MSG in a couple weeks...

Billy Dat
03-14-2014, 04:39 PM
Why? Because many people simply dislike NYC, particularly its residents. As for the swamp, let's not forget that Duke is almost unbeatable at the Meadowlands, something like 20+ and 2.

Yeah...I can't stand Frank McGuire, Lenny Rosenbluth, Tommy Kearns, Pete Brennan, Joe Quigg, Kenny Smith, Brian Reece, etc.

nyesq83
03-14-2014, 10:39 PM
Very close, but not quite.

http://nj1015.com/duke-to-headline-college-basketball-event-at-meadowlands/

"Duke beat Butler at the Izod Center in December 2010 in a rematch of the NCAA championship game earlier that year. Prior to that, it played Xavier here in 2008. The Blue Devils have a 19-1 record at the Izod Center, winning five NCAA East Region finals."

From September, 2012.

http://coachk.com/contact-information/webmaster/

In 1989, Duke was playing a close game against Arizona. With one second left, and Duke down by two points, freshman Christian Laettner was fouled and sent to the free throw line to shoot one-and-one. Laettner missed his first shot and Duke lost the game. But what happened next was remarkable.
From Coach K’s book, Leading With the Heart:
“As the buzzer sounded, our senior captains, Danny Ferry and Quin Snyder, rushed over to Laettner and put their arms around the dejected freshman. And then the rest of the team went up to console him… there was no selfishness at that moment from any member of our team. As a matter of fact, I distinctly recall Quin Snyder saying, “Laett, don’t worry about it, man. We win and we lose together.” Coach K describes his players’ actions following the loss as “one of the best examples of collective responsibility that I have ever witnessed.”
In addition to Laettner’s teammates consoling him, I recall Coach K going right over to Laettner to offer his advice and encouragement, even before shaking hands with Arizona Coach Lute Olson.

FerryFor50
03-15-2014, 12:22 AM
Just saw on ESPN... Roy doesn't give a blankety blank about where they move the ACC tourny. They'd play in Siberia if they had to!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-15-2014, 08:14 AM
Just saw on ESPN... Roy doesn't give a blankety blank about where they move the ACC tourny. They'd play in Siberia if they had to!

He actually specifically referenced Owen High School, in Swannanoa. My friend is a principal there. Kinda cool moment for a tiny school and an unhappy coach.

FWIW, the Barclays ACC tourney move was reported as fact on the ESPN crawl late last night.

Henderson
03-15-2014, 08:19 AM

Maybe he'd like to take a nice long trip there scouting venues. Take your time, Roy. There are lots of sites to check.

duke74
03-15-2014, 01:38 PM

Enjoy, Billy. Saw Sir Paul there a few months ago. Was a very enjoyable experience. And the site, along with other development, has catapulted the area from a bit of a pit (eg, Fulton Street) to a destination. Restaurants, upscale retailers, etc.

My wife works on Adams Street, and has marvelled at what is going on all around there. Coupled with the activity in Queens (LIC, Astoria, FH), there is much more to do in the "outer boroughs" than in the past. Despite protestations, gentrification (dare I say "hipsterization?") has benefited local businesses (with the down side being increased rents for those already there...)

My own area of Forest Hills was invaded by black skinny pants, goatees and fedoras last August for the first concert at the West Side Tennis Club (former home of the US Open before Flushing Meadow and corporatization of the Open) in years (Mumford & Sons).

Urban evolution, I guess.

duke74
03-15-2014, 01:50 PM

As one of "its residents," let me slightly amend that statement: "Many ignorant, unsophisticated people simply dislike NYC, for no reason other than their own petty prejudices."

That captures it for me. Got that crap when I attended Duke...obviously for some, the ignorance still exists.

Sorry for my reaction, but the anti-NYC bias just burns me. It is as bad (as many on the board could understand) as being anti-South because of "Deliverance." "Gee, aren't all Southerners like that?"

I'm not one of those who HAS to live in NYC. It has its good points and its bad...but what location doesn't?

ncexnyc
03-15-2014, 02:12 PM
Funny just the other day some people were complaining how boring this tournament was and how they didn't like the increased number of games due to conference expansion. Well the ACC Tournament should no longer be viewed as just a basketball tournament, but rather a fantastic event.

I live just 90 minutes from Greensboro and while the prospect of scoring cheap tickets at the last minute is extremely appealing, aside from that I have no desire to attend several days of basketball games and driving back and forth, nor am I interested in staying in Greensboro as there isn't very much to do there.

I would much rather take the family up to NYC for several days to visit the city and watch some hoops, making it a family vacation type situation. I'm sure momma and the kids would like this a lot more than just hanging around Greensboro for several days.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-15-2014, 02:43 PM
Funny just the other day some people were complaining how boring this tournament was and how they didn't like the increased number of games due to conference expansion. Well the ACC Tournament should no longer be viewed as just a basketball tournament, but rather a fantastic event.

I live just 90 minutes from Greensboro and while the prospect of scoring cheap tickets at the last minute is extremely appealing, aside from that I have no desire to attend several days of basketball games and driving back and forth, nor am I interested in staying in Greensboro as there isn't very much to do there.

I would much rather take the family up to NYC for several days to visit the city and watch some hoops, making it a family vacation type situation. I'm sure momma and the kids would like this a lot more than just hanging around Greensboro for several days.

I don't recall people discussing the boring games. Are there too many games? Sure. Are they poorly attended? Seems so on TV. But most of the games have been pretty dadgum entertaining.

Henderson
03-15-2014, 03:13 PM
Are there too many games? Sure.

Bingo.

If every NCAA Division 1 team made it to the NCAA tournament, there would be lots of games, many of them very exciting. But it would still be a boring first week for the most part.

brevity
03-15-2014, 09:22 PM

As one of "its residents," let me slightly amend that statement: "Many ignorant, unsophisticated people simply dislike NYC, for no reason other than their own petty prejudices."

That captures it for me. Got that crap when I attended Duke...obviously for some, the ignorance still exists.

Sorry for my reaction, but the anti-NYC bias just burns me. It is as bad (as many on the board could understand) as being anti-South because of "Deliverance." "Gee, aren't all Southerners like that?"

I'm not one of those who HAS to live in NYC. It has its good points and its bad...but what location doesn't?

I've received 3 negative comments in my history as a DBR member, and one was for writing this (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?32675-NFL-Playoffs-2013&p=690066#post690066) about the NFL playoffs:

This is a great postseason if, like me, you hate East Coast bias. Can't wait to see a pair of West teams battle for supremacy in that podunk, far-flung football outpost known as New York/New Jersey. Their fans watching at home can make a whole day of it and still put their kids to bed at a decent hour.

That's some fairly obvious snark about NFC West and AFC West teams being dominant in a year where the Giants and Jets... weren't. I'm not sure that duke74 was the negative commenter, not because I confuse NYC people, but because there are too many DBR members with Duke and a number in their username.

But lesson learned. Don't make fun of the NYC area; some people can't take it.

duke74
03-15-2014, 09:38 PM
I'm not sure that duke74 was the negative commenter, not because I confuse NYC people, but because there are too many DBR members with Duke and a number in their username.

But lesson learned. Don't make fun of the NYC area; some people can't take it.

Brevity, that wasn't me. However, I guess the real answer is not to make fun of the NYC area for no reason but to be nasty. Nothing to do with being able to "take it." Trust me, we can...especially when deserved. We're certainly realistic, and are at the head of the line when it comes to putting down NYC.

Bluedog
03-26-2014, 08:15 AM
Barclays Center to host ACC basketball tournament in 2017-18

ESPN reporting the ACC Tournament will be held at the Barclays Center in 2017-18. In addition, annual doubleheaders between A10 and ACC teams there in December. A10 gets it back for their conference tournaments in 2019, 2020, and 2021.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10670955/barclays-center-host-acc-basketball-tournament-2017-18-per-source