PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs Clemson, ACCT (Fri ~2130 EDT, ESPN) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

hurleyfor3
03-14-2014, 12:09 AM
Finally, we know who we're playing. But we don't know when. Of course we don't, because of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle!

duke09hms
03-14-2014, 12:10 AM
Time for revenge.
There's no way we can come out flat and unmotivated ... right?

ChrisP
03-14-2014, 12:13 AM
Time for revenge.
There's no way we can come out flat and unmotivated ... right?

Right?

hurleyfor3
03-14-2014, 12:14 AM
Right?

Like we did in last year's tournament?

gep
03-14-2014, 12:16 AM
I'm really hopeful... especially after the unc game, the possibilities of the platoons with the extra energy, and the emergence of Jabari as a real leader. GO DUKE!!!!!

MaxAMillion
03-14-2014, 12:34 AM
I was praying that Georgia Tech would win. I think Duke will struggle with Clemson just like they struggled with Maryland last year. Clemson can ugly it up and keep the score down. That won't favor Duke.

Edouble
03-14-2014, 12:48 AM
I was praying that Georgia Tech would win. I think Duke will struggle with Clemson just like they struggled with Maryland last year. Clemson can ugly it up and keep the score down. That won't favor Duke.

As long as we get Jabari the ball on the low block or the elbow and Hood mixes things up with the drive and the 3, we should win.

I don't think any non-elite teams have any answer for Jabari at this point. Not sure if the elite ones do either, but hopefully we'll learn that later on.
We gotta ride him as far as we can go. We should be going to Saturday.

Curious to see how Quinn comes out in this one.

awhom111
03-14-2014, 02:03 AM
Remember that the ACC feed is available on TV (as I know some people prefer their commentators) in the below markets and online on the ACC website:
http://www.theacc.com/#!/GameCenter/531cb23ae4b0e7c771510841

District Of Columbia
Washington, DC (Hagerstown, MD) WDCA My Network TV MY 20

Florida
Jacksonville WAWS-D2 My Network TV WAWS-D2
Panama City WMBB-D2 This TV This Panama City (13.2)
Tallahassee-Thomasville FOX FOX 49
West Palm Beach-Ft. Pierce WTCN My Network TV My 15

Georgia
Albany WSWG-D2 My Network TV WSWG-DT2 (WSWG.2)
Atlanta WATL My Network TV My Atl TV
Augusta-Aiken WFXG FOX FOX 54
Savannah WGSA CW Savannah's CW

Maryland
Baltimore WNUV CW The CW Baltimore
Salisbury WRDE-DT My Network TV My RTV 9

New York
Albany WNYA My Network TV My 4 Albany
Binghamton WBPN My Network TV My 8 Binghamton
Elmira WJKP My Network TV My Twin Tiers
Rochester WHAM-D2 CW The Rochester
Syracuse WSTM NBC NBC 3
Utica WPNY My Network TV My WPNY TV

North Carolina
Charlotte WBTV CBS WBTV 3
Greensboro- Winston-Salem -High Point WFMY CBS WFMY News 2
Greenville-New Bern-Washington WCTI-D3 This TV WCTI-D3
Raleigh-Durham (Fayetteville) WRAL CBS WRAL TV 5
Wilmington WECT NBC TV 6

Pennsylvania
Pittsburgh WTAE-D2 This TV
State College-Johnstown-Altoona WHVL My Network TV Happy Valley
Wilkes Barre-Scanton WQMY My Network TV My Network TV WQMY

South Carolina
Columbia WKTC My Network TV My 63
Greenville-Spartanburg-Asheville WLOS ABC ABC 13
Myrtle Beach-Florence WWMB CW Channel 21

Tennessee
Chattanooga WDSI-D2 My Network TV My Network Chattanooga

Virginia
Charlottesville NBC NBC 29
Norfolk-Portsmouth-Newport News WGNT CW CW 27
Richmond-Petersburg WTVR CBS CBS 6
Roanoke-Lynchburg WDBJ CBS WDBJ 7

Edouble
03-14-2014, 03:08 AM
Against Tech in OT on Thursday night, Clemson's starters logged 30, 34, 36, 40, and 43 minutes of game time.

The double bye is always advantage, but it seems like the advantage is compounded following a late night overtime game. Extra game minutes, extra late getting to bed. I'll take every advantage we can get. I want to win the ACC!

kAzE
03-14-2014, 03:26 AM
Ugh, I have a bad feeling about this game. We haven't been good off extended breaks, and we're vulnerable to these scrappy defensive teams, especially ones with extremely quick point guards. I hope Jabari just comes out on fire, that would probably give us the cushion needed to win.

dukelifer
03-14-2014, 06:57 AM
Ugh, I have a bad feeling about this game. We haven't been good off extended breaks, and we're vulnerable to these scrappy defensive teams, especially ones with extremely quick point guards. I hope Jabari just comes out on fire, that would probably give us the cushion needed to win.

But Duke has done well in rematch games where they lost the first one. This will again come down to crunch time. Duke will need to be smart and find ways to score inside. Clemson is a good test.

slower
03-14-2014, 07:09 AM
What time would our semifinal game be on Saturday? Evening, I hope.

arnie
03-14-2014, 07:15 AM

Around 4

tbyers11
03-14-2014, 07:17 AM

Semi finals are at 1 and 3:30. If we win, we would play in the 3:30 slot

UrinalCake
03-14-2014, 07:25 AM
I'm hoping for an easy win and a chance to rest the starters. I'm probably asking for too much. Will settle for just a win.

roywhite
03-14-2014, 07:35 AM
I'm hoping for an easy win and a chance to rest the starters. I'm probably asking for too much. Will settle for just a win.

Good chance we see the platoon system of substitution, at least in the 1st half.

Jabari needs to be a different player than he was in the 1st game vs Clemson (6 3-pt attempts) and take care of business with inside scoring and rebounding. He will do it and Duke will advance.

Troublemaker
03-14-2014, 07:52 AM
Curious to see how Quinn comes out in this one.

I think he should do well because Clemson is a man-to-man team and his struggles tend to come more against zones, imo. Nice opportunity here for Quinn to continue to build momentum after a good game against UNC.

But Duke has done well in rematch games where they lost the first one. This will again come down to crunch time.

I think Duke destroys Clemson personally. Maybe --maybe-- we get out to a slow start because Clemson just played while Duke's previous game was on Saturday, but Duke should eventually roll. The existence of the Maryland example from last season makes it more likely Duke is superfocused here, not less likely.

jv001
03-14-2014, 08:12 AM
I think he should do well because Clemson is a man-to-man team and his struggles tend to come more against zones, imo. Nice opportunity here for Quinn to continue to build momentum after a good game against UNC.

I think Duke destroys Clemson personally. Maybe --maybe-- we get out to a slow start because Clemson just played while Duke's previous game was on Saturday, but Duke should eventually roll. The existence of the Maryland example from last season makes it more likely Duke is superfocused here, not less likely.

I'm agree with you on this one. I see Duke coming out fired up and I look for Jabari to be the leader he was in the Carolina game. I see it close to the 8 minute mark of the first half and Duke pulls away. I agree we'll see the line change in this one. Going to be interesting to see how many minutes MPIII get's in this one. GoDuke!

jipops
03-14-2014, 09:20 AM
I think Clemson creates issues for us with their defense. McDaniels could likely neutralize either Hood or Parker. I would much rather we be playing GTech. The performance of our guards is extremely important in this one. Hopefully we can force some turnovers to get out in transition and not keep it a half court game. We should get the win but it's going to be ugly.

NashvilleDevil
03-14-2014, 09:39 AM
I think Clemson creates issues for us with their defense. McDaniels could likely neutralize either Hood or Parker. I would much rather we be playing GTech. The performance of our guards is extremely important in this one. Hopefully we can force some turnovers to get out in transition and not keep it a half court game. We should get the win but it's going to be ugly.

He cannot guard both of them, have to hope that whichever one is not being guarded by McDaniels has a great game. I think Duke wins this one convincingly.

chrishoke
03-14-2014, 10:08 AM
Clemson's physicality will give us fits. I'm worried it will get us in foul trouble.

60's Devil
03-14-2014, 10:14 AM
In game one Rod Hall was able to penetrate at will and made mince meat out of our man to man. Will we adjust and if so, how?

roywhite
03-14-2014, 10:18 AM

Clemson's physicality will give us fits. I'm worried it will get us in foul trouble.

In game one Rod Hall was able to penetrate at will and made mince meat out of our man to man. Will we adjust and if so, how?

Great to see the confidence of our fanbase. :rolleyes:

Kedsy
03-14-2014, 10:24 AM

Seriously. So we lost to Clemson? We also lost to Notre Dame and Wake Forest. Would people be worried about rematches with them, too?

We're 7th in the nation in the AP poll, 6th in the coach's poll, 7th in RPI, 7th in Pomeroy, and 6th in Sagarin. Of course we could lose the game, but people ought to be at least a little confident when we square off at a neutral site against the ACC's 6th place team.

rtnorthrup
03-14-2014, 10:25 AM

I didn't see the Duke-Clemson game from earlier in this season, but I did watch a good bit of the game vs. Ga Tech last night and I didn't see an overly physical Clemson team. It may be a matchup thing.

moonpie23
03-14-2014, 10:44 AM
I don't like it......but no one called to ask me...

devildeac
03-14-2014, 11:18 AM
Gotta beat someone to play tomorrow. Might as well be Clemson. Go Devils!!!

ice-9
03-14-2014, 11:24 AM

I'm glad we're worried. In most of our losses this season, we've just been way too overconfident as fans. UNC and Wake in particular spring to mind.

Papa John
03-14-2014, 11:27 AM

My thoughts exactly! You'd think we were about to go fight a pack of giants with only a sling or something... We're #7/#8 in the country, for cryin' out tears, going up against an unranked team who just played a slugfest against a bottom-feeder into the wee hours...

To be the best, ya gotta beat the best. I'm glad we get another shot at Clemson so that we can hopefully exact a measure of payback for the loss in the early portion of the ACC slate. The whole key to a strong postseason run is Jabari, and whether he has truly decided to grab the reigns. I think he has, as demonstrated by his dominating performance in the UNC game coupled with his mental focus (demonstrated by his corralling of Rasheed multiple times when Sheed was losing his focus during the game). The guy at the helm doesn't have to be a point guard, he just needs to be a strong leader who will mentally refocus/recenter his team when they begin to get a little loosey-goosey on the floor. We shall see tonight...

I also think that we will clearly go with the platooning system, as K is well aware that these games on short rest can physically tax the players, and he knows the platoon system has been an effective way to increase the energy level in the first half and rest our key guys for the second half.

Kedsy
03-14-2014, 11:27 AM
I'm glad we're worried. In most of our losses this season, we've just been way too overconfident as fans. UNC and Wake in particular spring to mind.

Yeah, if only we fans (watching on TV since both games you cite were road games) had taken our opponents seriously, the team might have won those two games. I blame myself. ;)

UrinalCake
03-14-2014, 11:30 AM
Yeah, if only we fans (watching on TV since both games you cite were road games) had taken our opponents seriously, the team might have won those two games. I blame myself. ;)

Studies show that in games that fans take lightly, teams are 63% more likely to lose. You can't argue with the facts!

azzefkram
03-14-2014, 11:31 AM

I blame you, too :p

ice-9
03-14-2014, 11:38 AM

Haha, my post was mostly tongue-in-cheek.

But sometimes I wonder if there's a correlation between fans being overconfident and Duke players being overconfident.

MCFinARL
03-14-2014, 11:47 AM
Haha, my post was mostly tongue-in-cheek.

But sometimes I wonder if there's a correlation between fans being overconfident and Duke players being overconfident.

Well, sure, there would likely be, as long as you are talking about correlation and not causation. The same factors that make the team feel overconfident make the fans feel overconfident. But it's not that likely that our overconfidence is what is feeding or causing theirs.

On the other hand, when I start watching a game with my team up a lot and the momentum immediately begins to shift to the opponent, I acknowledge that I have, in fact, caused that ... ;)

Re confidence of fans generally, there are two basic types of fans, just like there are two basic types of people--confident fans/optimists who are comfortable with the high risk-high reward route (at least as far as their emotions are concerned) and pessimistic fans who manage their expectations, thus minimizing their disappointment and sometimes being pleasantly surprised (which they immediately second guess so as to continue to minimize future disappointment). And we have lots of both kinds at DBR.

There probably are a few balanced, rational fans out there too--but by definition (fan=fanatic) this will be a pretty small group.

Reilly
03-14-2014, 12:08 PM
Duke's favored by 9.5. UNC's favored by 1.

niveklaen
03-14-2014, 12:08 PM
Well, sure, there would likely be, as long as you are talking about correlation and not causation. The same factors that make the team feel overconfident make the fans feel overconfident. But it's not that likely that our overconfidence is what is feeding or causing theirs.

On the other hand, when I start watching a game with my team up a lot and the momentum immediately begins to shift to the opponent, I acknowledge that I have, in fact, caused that ... ;)

Re confidence of fans generally, there are two basic types of fans, just like there are two basic types of people--confident fans/optimists who are comfortable with the high risk-high reward route (at least as far as their emotions are concerned) and pessimistic fans who manage their expectations, thus minimizing their disappointment and sometimes being pleasantly surprised (which they immediately second guess so as to continue to minimize future disappointment). And we have lots of both kinds at DBR.

There probably are a few balanced, rational fans out there too--but by definition (fan=fanatic) this will be a pretty small group.

To the extent that players communicate with fans, the fans' overconfidence might rub off on them

or conversely the fans' defeatest attitude could rub off on them causing demoralization and apathy

pretty much no matter what we do, its our fault as fans if the team loses

roywhite
03-14-2014, 12:09 PM
Talk about 2 programs that have had totally different ACC Basketball Tournament results over the years.

From 1954 through the 2013 tournament:

Duke 19 championships Total record 91-41
Clemson 0 championships Total record 17-60

Think about that....Clemson has played in every ACC Tournament since the league started and has won a TOTAL of 17 games (18 if we count their win last night)

I'm trying to give the pessimists some basis for feeling good about this game, but I suspect they'll interpret this as bad karma, or that good results for Clemson are overdue ;)

Papa John
03-14-2014, 02:02 PM
I'm trying to give the pessimists some basis for feeling good about this game, but I suspect they'll interpret this as bad karma, or that good results for Clemson are overdue ;)

You mean, in the same way that good results are overdue for Clemson when they play in Chapel Hill? ;)

Coballs
03-14-2014, 02:15 PM
Why does ESPN list the start time for tonight's game as 9PM? Syracuse-State tips at 7, so there is no possible way that our game starts before 9:30. ESPN has pulled this nonsense for years, but I've never understood why they do it? Can somebody please enlighten me.

Billy Dat
03-14-2014, 02:16 PM
I also think that we will clearly go with the platooning system, as K is well aware that these games on short rest can physically tax the players, and he knows the platoon system has been an effective way to increase the energy level in the first half and rest our key guys for the second half.

To this end, I have visions of Marshall Plumlee picking up K.J. McDaniels and taking a bite of of him as if he is a Slim Jim. It may result in some ejections and technicals, but a message will have been sent - serve Slim Jims at the training table!

flyingdutchdevil
03-14-2014, 02:19 PM
Why does ESPN list the start time for tonight's game as 9PM? Syracuse-State tips at 7, so there is no possible way that our game starts before 9:30. ESPN has pulled this nonsense for years, but I've never understood why they do it? Can somebody please enlighten me.

Sure. I'll do my best to rationalize it. It starts with "M" and ends with "oney".

If the game is most likely to start at 9:30, but in truth starts after a 2-hour game, why not call it 9:00? Duke fans, Clemson fans, and college basketball fans will tune in at 9:00 expecting to see Duke-Clemson but rather the last 10 minutes of another game. Some viewers will turn off the TV and tune in in 20 minutes, some viewers will change the channel to ESPN2, but I assume most fans will just watch the remaining 20 mins of the game, the ESPN analysis that follows, and, of course, the 47 commercials of fast food, cars, beer, insurance, and impotency drugs. In other words, $$$ for ESPN.

Billy Dat
03-14-2014, 02:20 PM

On the off chance that you'll tune in a 9, catch the end of the prior game, and also catch some of the commercials. If they listed it as its accurate 10PM start time, non Duke/Clemson fans might be tempted to go to sleep - or to flip over to #richkidsofbeverlyhills

hurleyfor3
03-14-2014, 02:24 PM

Espn didn't start it. The shorthand for game times has been "twelve-two-seven-nine" forever. With other conferences and the NCAA tournament, too.

devildeac
03-14-2014, 02:45 PM
To this end, I have visions of Marshall Plumlee picking up K.J. McDaniels and taking a bite of of him as if he is a Slim Jim. It may result in some ejections and technicals, but a message will have been sent - serve Slim Jims at the training table!

Slim Jim? Ok, you asked for it. "Step into a Slim Jim. Oh yeah!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXTagE7BtRU

(rest his soul)

jjasper0729
03-14-2014, 03:51 PM
Karl Hess is working the UNC/Pitt game today. So that's a good thing. Unless Jamie Luckie ends up being our lead ref.

MCFinARL
03-14-2014, 04:22 PM
Karl Hess is working the UNC/Pitt game today. So that's a good thing. Unless Jamie Luckie ends up being our lead ref.

Be careful what you wish for....

OldPhiKap
03-14-2014, 04:25 PM
Be careful what you wish for....

Last time I said something bad about Teddy Valentine, I got a 30-spork ding. So I guess I've changed routes and am hoping he is calling the game.

I won't mind being disappointed, though.

MChambers
03-14-2014, 08:00 PM
I'm thinking our recent emphasis on points in the paint will be enough to get by the offensively challenged Tigers. I don't know when, of course, as Heisenberg postulated.

pfrduke
03-14-2014, 08:14 PM
One of the keys to the first game was getting killed on the glass. We haven't had a rebounding game that bad (when you consider both sides together) since (the game @UNC is closest). Landry Nnoko had his second best game of the season and Marshall didn't see a minute of court time. If we manage to neutralize those two components, that would go a long way toward erasing the difference from January's game. (also, it wouldn't hurt if Jaron Blossomgame, a 20.8% three point shooter, didn't get hot again from downtown)

devildeac
03-14-2014, 08:21 PM
One of the keys to the first game was getting killed on the glass. We haven't had a rebounding game that bad (when you consider both sides together) since (the game @UNC is closest). Landry Nnoko had his second best game of the season and Marshall didn't see a minute of court time. If we manage to neutralize those two components, that would go a long way toward erasing the difference from January's game. (also, it wouldn't hurt if Jaron Blossomgame, a 20.8% three point shooter, didn't get hot again from downtown)

I wouldn't have recalled that player's name if my life depended on it until last night when my wife was following the GT-Clemson game as we headed out of town and mentioned his name. Then I remembered that we made him look like an all ACC player in that game.:mad:

NashvilleDevil
03-14-2014, 09:35 PM
Just read on the twitters that Dre is starting over Sheed. Don't know if I like the second unit having two guys who dribble as much as Quinn and Sheed do.

riverside6
03-14-2014, 09:37 PM
Live tempo based stats for Duke/Clemson, starters posted

http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=25896

FerryFor50
03-14-2014, 09:39 PM
I wouldn't have recalled that player's name if my life depended on it until last night when my wife was following the GT-Clemson game as we headed out of town and mentioned his name. Then I remembered that we made him look like an all ACC player in that game.:mad:

Yep. This is a very different Duke team with Marshall in there against bigger front lines.

Plus they aren't playing at Littlejohn this time...

pfrduke
03-14-2014, 09:39 PM
Just read on the twitters that Dre is starting over Sheed. Don't know if I like the second unit having two guys who dribble as much as Quinn and Sheed do.

Also not sure I like having the first unit lacking a shot creator in the backcourt. Could be vulnerable to early turnovers.

BlueDevilBrowns
03-14-2014, 09:40 PM

In that lineup, I'd have Quinn play the SG slot and spot up for set 3's off Sheed's dribble penetration.

g-money
03-14-2014, 09:45 PM
Psyched to see Andre in the starting lineup. I hope it boosts the offense a bit

NYBri
03-14-2014, 10:00 PM
Don't like seeing Parker taking jump shots.

FerryFor50
03-14-2014, 10:04 PM
Great. Now Roper will be the player to have a career game against Duke.

Weak call on the foul, though.

SCMatt33
03-14-2014, 10:05 PM
Both teams seem completely disinterested in playing this game. There have been a lot of lazy or one-on-one plays at both ends. I don't see a lot of movement without the ball either way. Both teams are lucky the other isn't playing harder. A ten point lead was out there for either team if they wanted it.

dukelifer
03-14-2014, 10:06 PM

Duke should be up by 15. Poor shooting

CDu
Settling for jumpshots. And committing dumb fouls. Not a great start. Hopefully we settle down soon.

NYBri
I hope we've had our obligatory five or six minutes without scoring in the first half.

ChrisP
03-14-2014, 10:07 PM
I cannot believe our utter lack of poise on offense. Maybe it's due to Clemson's defensive reputation, but it's like we cannot WAIT to jack up a bad shot! We need to be a bit more patient and get good shots and I think we could win this easily. So frustrating with the offensive weapons we have on this team :(

arnie

We look uncomfortable on O- just like at Littlejohn

dukelifer
Settling for jumpshots. And committing dumb fouls. Not a great start. Hopefully we settle down soon.

Another one

sporthenry
03-14-2014, 10:08 PM
Clemson manhandling Duke in the paint. Maybe the refs will let us contest a jump shot?

SCMatt33
03-14-2014, 10:08 PM
We look uncomfortable on O- just like at Littlejohn

I really think that it's more of an effort thing. No one is moving without the ball to help out.

dukelifer
03-14-2014, 10:11 PM
Clemson is defending Duke very well.

Les Grossman
03-14-2014, 10:11 PM
just very poor shooting

sporthenry
03-14-2014, 10:12 PM
2 fouls through 15 minutes for Clemson?

_Gary
03-14-2014, 10:15 PM
This is thoroughly depressing thus far. We've been horrid on offense, although a part of that is Clemson's size/length down low. So far this a Clemson kind of game.

ChrisP
03-14-2014, 10:16 PM
just very poor shooting

Yes, but I think the poor shooting all begins with poor shot selection. We are settling for...basically any look at the rim instead of a good one.

bleedingblue88
03-14-2014, 10:16 PM
Hood and Parker 4-18 collectively. Yeesh that is recipe for quick exit in the tourney.

dukelifer
03-14-2014, 10:17 PM
This is thoroughly depressing thus far. We've been horrid on offense, although a part of that is Clemson's size/length down low. So far this a Clemson kind of game.

So far. I think Duke tried to push the pace to tire them. But it affected their O. Clemson has settled in.

NYBri
03-14-2014, 10:19 PM
Let's stop Hall please.

dukelifer
03-14-2014, 10:20 PM
A couple of nice oops

NYBri
Defense!

JetpackJesus
Those alley-oops are pretty high percentage shots. More of those please.

sporthenry
03-14-2014, 10:21 PM
Halftime coming at a bad time. Duke seemed to have settled down. Hopefully this continues to start the half.

dukelifer
03-14-2014, 10:23 PM
Need to PASS the ball. That will work against this D.

ChrisP
Love the D leading to easy O!!!

Where has THAT been all year? :)

Duke79UNLV77
We tried to push the pace one time, and got a Sheed layup, and then finished with a couple of live ball turnovers. Let's not walk the ball up every time down the court.

CDu
03-14-2014, 10:24 PM
Aside from those two alley-oops, our halfcourt offense has looked stagnant. Thankfully, Clemson is really mediocre offensively, and we've rebounded well. Nice to have a lead despite struggling offensively. Hopefully the late first half run will get our confidence going.

Billy Dat
03-14-2014, 10:27 PM
We had a chance to get up 10+ early and failed to for several reasons - the oft mentioned poor shot selection, not finishing at the rim, and all those fouls on Roper. That gave Clemson a lot of life, but they still look like a tired team that we could squash if we forced tempo and pressure. Why not pick up full court and make them work a little harder? I hope we see some pressure in the second half, because McDaniels is not near 100% and we did look good in transition. I am glad we ended the half well, let's put the hammer down early and push this to 10 points in the first 5 minutes!

DU82
03-14-2014, 10:31 PM
As -jk would say, that was very poor reffing at the end of the half. The refs are supposed to look to the bench in that situation in case the coach wants a timeout. That's part of game management. With two seconds left, probably didn't cost anything, but I've witnessed last second shots enough (1.0 seconds for UConn to go full court against Clemson, in fact) to know that it might matter.

arnie
03-14-2014, 10:31 PM
Aside from those two alley-oops, our halfcourt offense has looked stagnant. Thankfully, Clemson is really mediocre offensively, and we've rebounded well. Nice to have a lead despite struggling offensively. Hopefully the late first half run will get our confidence going.

I think we hit 2 shots from 5- feet out or further. Hard to believe we're winning by outrebounding them.

Chard
03-14-2014, 10:32 PM
Count Dunkula has 10 points to lead Duke to a 4 point lead. A good game so far. Duke is only shooting 16.7% on threes so hopefully that will change. I think it will but Duke also has to continue to go to the rim in the 2nd half.

Happy March Madness, everyone! It's a great time to be a basketball fan!

CLW
03-14-2014, 10:36 PM
pretty awful performance on O thankfully Clemson is awful and their best player is basically out due to injury. stop fouling the jump shooters, rebound and hopefully the O starts clicking to blow this one open.

nyesq83
03-14-2014, 10:41 PM
Duke's three defense will be tentative...

NYBri
03-14-2014, 10:43 PM
Make the free throws.

Billy Dat
03-14-2014, 10:44 PM
Let's go baby - time to push this lead out more!!!!

CDu
03-14-2014, 10:44 PM
Loving the effort to start the second half. Clemson has just one field goal, and that was on a 20-foot 2-pointer by McDaniels. Let's keep this up!

NYBri
03-14-2014, 10:45 PM
They want to run more to keep Clemson from setting up the half-court defense. Look for more outlet passes and fast breaks.

sporthenry
03-14-2014, 10:46 PM
This is where this Duke team struggles. They can push the lead but can't step on the throat. Hopefully they've learned by now to push this.

Hopefully the Hood sickness isn't serious.

Billy Dat
03-14-2014, 10:49 PM
Our defensive rotations are sharp. If we can push this lead up a little more, they'll have to start playing faster which should play into our hands.

ChrisP
03-14-2014, 10:49 PM
Ugh, Parker and Jefferson both pass up shots to allow Matt Jones to shoot an airball :(

I love Matt's D but his shooting...whoo boy, have yet to see it.

_Gary
03-14-2014, 10:51 PM
Love what I'm seeing now. I only hope Andre hasn't fallen completely out of the rotation after a tough first half (and last few games). We'll need him before this weekend is over. On the other hand it's nice to see Matt getting some good burn here in the second half.

Billy Dat
03-14-2014, 10:51 PM
The local scribes are killing Jones' shooting on Twitter:

Jim Young ‏@RealJimYoung 1m
Tell me again how Matt Jones was one of the top shooters coming out of HS. Did folks just assume that because he signed w/ Duke?

Bret Strelow ‏@bretstrelow 1m
Corner 3 from Thornton, but corner airball from Jones, who is now 3-for-20 from 3-point range this season.

dairedevil
03-14-2014, 10:54 PM
Hood is back. Did they ever say why he left?

FerryFor50
03-14-2014, 10:55 PM

Tell me again how Matt Jones was one of the top shooters coming out of HS. Did folks just assume that because he signed w/ Duke?

Corner 3 from Thornton, but corner airball from Jones, who is now 3-for-20 from 3-point range this season.

Tyler Thornton shot just 26.7% as a freshman from 3. Now he shoots above 45%!

There's still time for Matty!

SCMatt33
03-14-2014, 10:56 PM

Shooting off the bench is like pinch hitting in baseball. It's a very specialized skill that not everyone has. We're pretty lucky to have a guy like Dre who is so good at it. Most guys need to get enough minutes to be in rhythm. Jones has spent his whole life seeing plenty of the ball. Hard to adjust.

FerryFor50
03-14-2014, 10:58 PM
That picture they showed of Jabari on the All-ACC team typifies the type of season he's had - guys grabbing him as he shoots.

NYBri
03-14-2014, 10:59 PM
Up by 13. Keep stretching...no stall ball, please.

SCMatt33
03-14-2014, 10:59 PM

With this kind of lead I wouldn't expect it until the next timeout. If we were up 20, maybe.

Billy Dat
03-14-2014, 11:00 PM
Big 3 by Quinn, it was nice to adjust to a zone and hit a shot to make them pay for the switch. We need to keep this lead at double digits. They are going to the hole on every play, I wish we'd throw a zone look for a possession or two to keep them off balance. That is a wrinkle K needs to add!!!!!! Just a look once in a while to keep them guessing.

FerryFor50
03-14-2014, 11:00 PM

Are you kidding? Teams like Clemson are what stall ball was made for. Get a big lead and take the air out of the ball. No way a team as bad on offense as Clemson can storm back.

NYBri
03-14-2014, 11:02 PM
This is where we have trouble. At the 11 minute mark .

Billy Dat
03-14-2014, 11:05 PM
Good takes by Rodney, but Clemson looks like they suddenly got a shot of HGH! Great take by Amile!!!

sporthenry
03-14-2014, 11:08 PM
This Duke team knows how to let a lead disappear more than any other Duke team I can remember.

NYBri
Are you kidding? Teams like Clemson are what stall ball was made for. Get a big lead and take the air out of the ball. No way a team as bad on offense as Clemson can storm back.

As you were saying?

_Gary
News bulletin: This game is NOT over!

SCMatt33
Here we go again with the defense. 6 straight possession with points given up. This is going to kill ya one day.

FerryFor50
As you were saying?

They didn't play stall. They forced up bad shots early in the clock. And that led to Clemson transition points.

Gthoma2a
03-14-2014, 11:09 PM
We do not need to stall. We need to attack and get the boards.

Also, do these announcers not realize that Kansas is already out of their conference tournament?

Billy Dat
03-14-2014, 11:11 PM
Big finish by Jabari, let's push this back out to 9 or 10!

NYBri
They didn't play stall. They forced up bad shots early in the clock. And that led to Clemson transition points.

You said, "No way a team as bad on offense as Clemson can storm back."

ChrisP
Aye, aye, AYE!!!! Come on, Duke! We had a poor offensive team down by 13 a few minutes ago! No way they should be allowed to climb back in this one. Seal the deal!!!

FerryFor50
03-14-2014, 11:12 PM
You said, "No way a team as bad on offense as Clemson can storm back."

Yes, but it was qualified with "play stall ball."

If Clemson was forced to play half court the rest of the game, they wouldn't get close. Instead, they've come back with transition buckets and some offensive put backs off of transition.

Stall ball slows it down and makes them execute an actual offensive set. That and making shots. :)

ChrisP
03-14-2014, 11:14 PM
There is a TON of contact on our drivers. Seems like the refs let the first 2 go and "let them play". Jeez!

nyesq83
03-14-2014, 11:17 PM
I told you they would keep shooting threes... 3/15 for Tigers, 3/11 for Duke

NYBri
Up ny nine...run the clock down ... Terrible shot....three on the other end ... Up by six . Stall ball strikes again.

Billy Dat
I credit Clemson with playing hard and not quitting. They have been a different team the past 6 minutes or so. The last sequence was big, we could have pushed it to 11 and instead its 6. Huge dig down by Tyler earlier...let's go!

ChrisP
I love TT! Awesome steal to save what could have been an easy two for the Tigers.

Unfortunately, Hood passed up a decent shot to give it Amile for a worse one that he missed and then...transition 3 :(

CR9
03-14-2014, 11:18 PM
'Kin stall ball. Attack.

nyesq83
03-14-2014, 11:18 PM
4/16 and the zone is working again

NYBri
03-14-2014, 11:19 PM
Love the stall ball. Not.

Billy Dat

Yeah - we need to get that pass to Amile or Rodney at the foul line.

ChrisP
Was that stall ball with only a 6 point lead and this much time to go?!?!? Ugh. Me no likey. We look like we're playing not to lose now. Danger time!

SCMatt33
Clemson has now scored 24 points in its last 14 possessions (scoring at least one on 12 of them). They had 29 points in the 25 minutes of play before that.

BD80
03-14-2014, 11:20 PM

Studies show that in games that fans take lightly, teams are 63% more likely to lose. You can't argue with the facts!

Kedsy argues with facts - ON HIS SIDE!

karmacoma
Just insane how poorly we play in the last 10 minutes of most games.

arnie

Stall ball is horrible - has taken us out of rythym

CR9
If they fall behind they'll get beat.

dairedevil
Yowza...stall ball works....if you score, or rebound with a reset shot clock. Otherwise, it can get ugly fast.

ChrisP
03-14-2014, 11:21 PM
What in the world???? Initiating offense with under 10 on the clock?

FerryFor50
03-14-2014, 11:21 PM
Stall ball is horrible - has taken us out of rythym

They never really were in rhythm. They shot 40% in the first half. They scored 29 points. They are at 40% for the game now. They had one good run, mostly off of Clemson turnovers.

NYBri
03-14-2014, 11:22 PM
Good lord. Shot clock at 6. Time out.

CR9
03-14-2014, 11:22 PM
They've run that same play like 5 possessions in a row and scored from all of them.

ChrisP
03-14-2014, 11:23 PM
I thought our D was pretty good for about 30 minutes but it has been awful lately. I hope we don't blow this one!

Duke79UNLV77
03-14-2014, 11:23 PM
Not pushing pace. Walking it up. Letting their half-court defense set. Then, having to force something late in the shot clock.

When we first started playing the bench more, we also recommitted to running more.

arnie
03-14-2014, 11:24 PM
If they fall behind they'll get beat.

Stall ball also yields passive D

SCMatt33
Duke has now given up points on 14 of the last 16 Clemson possessions. How Duke still leads I have no idea. This might actually be the worst defensive stretch of the year and thats saying something

Edit: 15 of 17 now

rsvman
We need a freaking STOP!!

NYBri
I smell stall ball loss.

Gthoma2a
03-14-2014, 11:25 PM
If we would just get some boards. It is okay to miss, but somebody has to get the board when you do.

ice-9
03-14-2014, 11:25 PM
Our transition d....let's go duke!

ChrisP
03-14-2014, 11:26 PM
What the heck was Rodney doing letting the Clemson player just shoot an uncontested layup there? OMG!!! We are holding on for dear life. Clemson is probably better than their record but this is ridiculous - should have had this one salted away a looooong time ago.

sporthenry
I smell stall ball loss.

It isn't a stall ball loss. It's a defense loss. Letting a team score on 6 of 7 possessions will get you in regardless. In fact, several of those baskets are the result of bad shots leading to breakouts which weren't related to stall ball.

SCMatt33
I smell stall ball loss.

This started with 14 or 15 minutes left. The stall ball isn't what caused it.

CDu
Just horrid defense over the last 4 minutes. Horrid. Stall ball or no stall ball, if you don't get stops, you're going to lose. We've stopped getting stops.

We've let them score on 6 of their last 7 possessions. That's terrible.

Billy Dat
Sheed is going to knock these down, we are finally going to get a stop, and we'll hit our free throws down the stretch. That is what I am telling myself. I'd like to see us go a little defense/offense subs.

Atlanta Duke
03-14-2014, 11:27 PM
If someone could walk me through why the offense is running through Mr Sulaimon I would like to hear it

Gthoma2a
03-14-2014, 11:28 PM
Sheed is going to knock these down, we are finally going to get a stop, and we'll hit our free throws down the stretch. That is what I am telling myself. I'd like to see us go a little defense/offense subs.

Sometimes these things just don't work out.

CR9
03-14-2014, 11:29 PM
Whose leg does Bari have to hump to get a touch?

SCMatt33
03-14-2014, 11:30 PM
17 of 19 possessions

ChrisP
03-14-2014, 11:30 PM
You know, if we lose this one, we totally deserve it. Why, why WHY is Jabari not getting the ball on offense at all????

Gthoma2a
03-14-2014, 11:31 PM
Hood has got to hit these. Then, we need to defend without fouling. Please!

arnie
03-14-2014, 11:31 PM

I think it's fair to say stall ball lost this one whether we lose or not

arnie
03-14-2014, 11:32 PM

Passive D will kill us here

ChrisP

I think awful D is what has cost us in this one. Stall ball wasn't great, but you HAVE to get stops!

FerryFor50
Defense "lost" this game. If anything, stall ball should help with defense.

Yea, you can't stall on defense. Stall ball didn't make Clemson shoot 60+% from the field in the 2nd half.

sporthenry

Defense "lost" this game. If anything, stall ball should help with defense.

Billy Dat
Sometimes these things just don't work out.

Come on, the one stop we get will be right now!!!!!!! The one we need!!!! Come on!!!!!!

CDu
03-14-2014, 11:33 PM

I think it's more fair to say that our defense is the culprit. Not stall ball. Seriously: take a look at the Clemson side of the play-by-play in this second half. Lots of buckets.

ice-9
03-14-2014, 11:33 PM
De-fence!!!

SCMatt33
03-14-2014, 11:34 PM

I don't think it is. They stopped playing defense at the 14 minute mark. That has nothing to do with stall ball.

CDu
Thank goodness!

Trey21
Gotta love TT. Knows what to do and he is clutch.