PDA

View Full Version : Watching the ACC Tournament

Dunphy
03-12-2014, 11:12 AM
This may be a North Carolina thing, but when I was in school, the teachers would always turn on the ACC tournament in class. Most of the time we didn't do anything but watch the game. At worst, maybe the teacher gave you an easy worksheet to do while watching the game. I went to school in the mountains of North Carolina.

I was just wondering if anyone else had the same experience?

Now I live in DC, but I watch the games by streaming them on my laptop at work. I really don't care when my boss sees me watching, it's what you do this time of year. At least, that's what I learned in school.

Also, it's my first time posting here, so yeah for me.

Matches
03-12-2014, 11:16 AM
Oh yeah, you could count on that most years. Most of my classrooms didn't normally have a TV either - they would bring one in for the occasion.

Even as the ACCT's star has faded over the years, I've found people avoid scheduling anything on that Friday. There's an urban legend that some of the State's judicial agencies go out of their way to schedule a ton of cases on that Friday, so that the parties will resolve them and clear their docket.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-12-2014, 11:23 AM
This may be a North Carolina thing, but when I was in school, the teachers would always turn on the ACC tournament in class. Most of the time we didn't do anything but watch the game. At worst, maybe the teacher gave you an easy worksheet to do while watching the game. I went to school in the mountains of North Carolina.

Now I live in DC, but I watch the games by streaming them on my laptop at work. I really don't care when my boss sees me watching, it's what you do this time of year. At least, that's what I learned in school.

Welcome to your post. Also, it was the same thing in Charlotte in the 80's. Never occurred to me that it wasn't that way all over the US. Doesn't everyone stop everything for the ACC Tournament?

hurleyfor3
03-12-2014, 11:27 AM
I think we have this thread every year too :)

Anyway, I was in high school in NC only for my senior year. Someone brought a teevee into the senior lounge and we watched the games.

For awhile in Chicago I worked in a small office (1-6 other people). People learned to leave me alone on that Friday afternoon, if I wasn't in fact at the tournament.

Dunphy
03-12-2014, 11:27 AM
haha, I think the country should pause, but I was thinking it was an ACC thing, but more specifically North Carolina given the excitement for ACC basketball all over the state.

noworries
03-12-2014, 11:28 AM

Kindergarten through 12th grade, could always count on watching the tourney in school.

Dunphy
03-12-2014, 11:29 AM

Anyway, I was in high school in NC only for my senior year. Someone brought a teevee into the senior lounge and we watched the games.

For awhile in Chicago I worked in a small office (1-6 other people). People learned to leave me alone on that Friday afternoon, if I wasn't in fact at the tournament.

haha, we might. I won't post this again next year haha. Yeah, if the teacher didn't have a TV, they would wheel one in. I don't mind people bothering me. They just have to understand if they need anything, it won't be done quickly.

rsvman
03-12-2014, 11:44 AM
I grew up in the mountains, too, but it was the Rocky Mountains.

So, um, nope. No ACC tournament there. At the time all the teams I cared about were in the Western Athletic Conference, and they never allowed us to watch any of that, either.

Now I work in a hospital in Norfolk, VA, and we have established a tradition. On Friday we walk down the street to a little bar/restaurant that has a tv and we watch the noon game and eat big, greasy burgers and fries. We've been doing it every year for about a decade now.

Looking forward to it again in a couple of days.

Henderson
03-12-2014, 11:46 AM

Y'all were fortunate to grow up in NC. In 1969 I was living in Des Moines, and Drake (!) made it to the Final Four, It was all we elementary school guys wanted to talk about. It got so bad that the teacher banned any discussion of basketball during class, a rule that was honored mostly in the breach. We were crushed when Drake lost to eventual winner UCLA in a close semi game, and the blowout of North Carolina in the consolation game wasn't much of a consolation. That latter one is a sweet memory now though.

jjasper0729
03-12-2014, 11:59 AM
Kindergarten through 12th grade, could always count on watching the tourney in school.

Agreed. If the classroom didn't have a TV in it and the teacher couldn't get the A/V tv, then the teacher brought a small one from home, put the rabbit ears on it and put it on top of a file cabinet... this was southeastern NC :-)

Dunphy
03-12-2014, 12:08 PM
Y'all were fortunate to grow up in NC. In 1969 I was living in Des Moines, and Drake (!) made it to the Final Four, It was all we elementary school guys wanted to talk about. It got so bad that the teacher banned any discussion of basketball during class, a rule that was honored mostly in the breach. We were crushed when Drake lost to eventual winner UCLA in a close semi game, and the blowout of North Carolina in the consolation game wasn't much of a consolation. That latter one is a sweet memory now though.

Banning basketball talk!! What a fascist.

Dunphy
03-12-2014, 12:09 PM
I grew up in the mountains, too, but it was the Rocky Mountains.

So, um, nope. No ACC tournament there. At the time all the teams I cared about were in the Western Athletic Conference, and they never allowed us to watch any of that, either.

Now I work in a hospital in Norfolk, VA, and we have established a tradition. On Friday we walk down the street to a little bar/restaurant that has a tv and we watch the noon game and eat big, greasy burgers and fries. We've been doing it every year for about a decade now.

Looking forward to it again in a couple of days.

I like that tradition!

DevilWearsPrada
03-12-2014, 12:34 PM
When I was in High School, several of the teachers brought Televisions into the classroom. Over the intercom system, the radio feed was broadcasting the basketball games for the ACC tourney.

Several students were Absent on that Friday of the games, or checked out by 12 noon, and either went with their parents to the ACC tourney in Greensboro, or home to watch the games!!! We didn't have 15 teams and 5 days for the Tournament then, only 3 days.

The ACC league has come along way and is bigger, stronger and more competitive!

Let the games begin!

Dunphy
03-12-2014, 12:40 PM
When I was in High School, several of the teachers brought Televisions into the classroom. Over the intercom system, the radio feed was broadcasting the basketball games for the ACC tourney.

Several students were Absent on that Friday of the games, or checked out by 12 noon, and either went with their parents to the ACC tourney in Greensboro, or home to watch the games!!! We didn't have 15 teams and 5 days for the Tournament then, only 3 days.

The ACC league has come along way and is bigger, stronger and more competitive!

Let the games begin!

True. I miss the 9 teams. I went to the tournament in '04, the 50th anniversary and the last year before VT and Miami joined in '05

UrinalCake
03-12-2014, 01:37 PM
Yeah, it's a different ACC today. I just now realized that the first game is already underway (Wake vs ND)... and I don't even really care.

ChillinDuke
03-12-2014, 01:52 PM
Yeah, it's a different ACC today. I just now realized that the first game is already underway (Wake vs ND)... and I don't even really care.

Yeah, I thought I didn't even really care either.

Until I realized I was refreshing the ESPN scores page every 5 minutes.

Under 4 timeout, Wake 33 - 20 ND. Wake is over 57% shooting including 3 of 5 from three.

Figured this is as good a thread as any to track the games.

- Chillin

UrinalCake
03-12-2014, 02:48 PM
The fact that we lost to both of these teams makes me throw up in my mouth a little.

lotusland
03-12-2014, 03:04 PM
In upstate SC we watched the ACC tournament in school. Not every teacher would participate but there was always a few. I'm not sure why since Clemson was never a factor and SC had been out for 10-years but it was still a pretty big deal.

TruBlu
03-12-2014, 03:27 PM
When I was in high school, television hadn't been invented yet. Not even sure about electricity. We did have running water, but not in the outhouses.

OldPhiKap
03-12-2014, 03:29 PM
When I was in high school, television hadn't been invented yet. Not even sure about electricity. We did have running water, but not in the outhouses.

I went to school with Jimmy Naismith, and we sold him fruit from our farm. One season, I dropped off two baskets of peaches and never got the baskets back.

So I took his lunch money. Fair trade, I guess.

DukieInKansas
03-12-2014, 04:47 PM
I didn't get initiated to the ACC until freshman year. After graduation, I informed my boss that I had a 3 day religious holiday the first weekend every March. She was a bit confused because it wasn't the correct timing for Easter. She did, however, play along and I would leave work during the day to go home and watch Duke. It finally got to the point that it was easier to record the Duke game and watch it when I got home instead of trying to return to the office to do taxes.

Tom B.
03-12-2014, 04:58 PM
I grew up in Charleston, SC. We weren't quite as diehard as the folks in NC -- the teachers didn't put TVs in the classrooms so we could watch. But I do remember the principal putting a TV in the reception area of his office, and people could come in and out to watch over the course of the day. It was a popular lunch spot.

SupaDave
03-12-2014, 05:07 PM
Well it was pretty much a no brainer in Durham. I went to Carrington Jr. High School (it's now a middle school and I played back-up QB behind Murray Bell, Richard Bell's son) and then to Northern with Debbie Krzyzewski amongst other notable Duke kids (Steve Vacendak Jr - RIP). Needless to say, we usually got to watch the Duke-Carolina-NC State games at all costs.

dukie’s_daughter
03-12-2014, 06:17 PM
Late 60's jr. high in Hampton Virginia...TV's weren't in every class, but all the cool teachers let us watch.

fan345678
03-12-2014, 06:23 PM

Yep. I lived in SWVA until I was 12, but my third grade teacher actually did roll the television in and put the games on during class. When I moved to NC in '92-'93 (seventh grade), we watched the Friday ACC games, and in high school we had Friday ACC and even the Thursday and Friday NCAA games on mute on the classroom TV's.

hudlow
03-12-2014, 06:25 PM
I've heard several ministers say the were asked to "keep it on time" so church would let out in time for the finals on Sunday afternoon.

JNort
03-12-2014, 07:24 PM
From elementary school to middle school and on in to high school our teachers always let us watch the games (Charlotte, NC area). Till one year (11th grade) we had geometry during a Duke game and our teacher hated sports of all kinds and said we were not allowed to watch. She gave us a test instead and it was supposed to take the entire period, well needless to say I finished in less than a minute by circling all C's and pulled out my portable radio with headphones and started listening to it instead.

To this day she is my least favorite teacher I've ever had. Who does that?!?!

Cameron
03-12-2014, 10:54 PM
I grew up in the Midwest, but had a librarian at my school who was absolutely fanatic about the Tar Heels. We had a great rapport and talked ACC basketball almost daily, but if Duke beat North Carolina, he would refuse to acknowledge my existence for a week. Every year on ACC Tournament Friday, he would close the door to the library and turn out the lights and hide out in the back, watching the afternoon games on TV. I ditched a lot of classes and watched many great games in that library. The fun it was to be a kid.

Dunphy
03-13-2014, 10:12 AM
These are all great. I love hearing people's stories about how they became ACC fans (more interesting when it's about becoming a Duke fan). Obviously it's huge in North Carolina but it's cool to hear about the fans from different parts of the country.

Thanks everyone.

gus
03-13-2014, 10:35 AM
One my fond ACCT memories is from one of my least favorite seasons.

I remember taking a break with a few other students and faculty to watch us win the Les Robinson invitational in 1995. We were all giddy and fully expecting to make a miraculous run through the tournament and maybe actually get the automatic bid.

Randolph Childress crushed our dreams the next day, but his crossover on McInnis in that tournament remains one of my favorite non-Duke ACCT plays.

newclasspack
03-13-2014, 10:37 AM

Also, it's my first time posting here, so yeah for me.Yea it was a bonafide teacher workday. TVs in every room. every game on you'd be just as excited to watch VT vs GT as Duke vs. UNC or MD vs. State

moonpie23
03-13-2014, 11:21 AM
my high school years were at A.C. Flora in Columbia SC.....class of 69...then on to USC.....it WAS a holiday there,from then till USC got out of the ACC....., then, not so much....(altho folks were still interested)