PDA

View Full Version : Censorship in Cameron

UrinalCake
03-11-2014, 12:12 AM
From what I read on another board, the Crazies were informed in writing that any signs referencing the academic scandal at UNC would not be permitted. Students who brought them would have them confiscated by stadium staff. Can anyone confirm, deny, or clarify if this is true? A milder version of the story that I heard was that ESPN simply chose not to air any crowd shots in which signs could be seen. The only one I saw during the broadcast was the MacAdoo Draft Stock sign (which was really good BTW). Some of the photos on Duke Blue Planet show a few signs, all of which were awesome, but I assumed that something was up when the entire stadium wasn't littered with signs eviscerating UNC's integrity.

I can't remember a situation in the past in which certain topics were prohibited, and definitely not in writing. At times Coach K has walked around the student section and asked the Crazies not to go after a certain player (Loren Woods comes to mind). And at other times the Crazies police themselves - I attended one game in which a group of students passed out plastic baggies filled with pretend marijuana, with the intent of mocking Maryland player Terrell Stokes, who had been charged with possession. But right before tip-off they decided against it, out of respect for what happened to Len Bias.

I'm hoping some current students and/or game attendees could explain what happened. Signs notwithstanding, the crowd was awesome and sounded loud as heck on TV.

luburch
03-11-2014, 01:02 AM
They decided signs were not necessary since the majority of the UNC players struggle to read anyway.

DukeHLM'13
03-11-2014, 05:40 AM
I wasn't at the game, but, based on what I saw as a recent undergrad, this would not surprise me in the least. Generally it seems that security is at least pretty reasonable with the signs that they allow in, but sometimes there are some pretty innocent signs that get taken.

kshepinthehouse
03-11-2014, 06:17 AM
I wasn't at the game, but, based on what I saw as a recent undergrad, this would not surprise me in the least. Generally it seems that security is at least pretty reasonable with the signs that they allow in, but sometimes there are some pretty innocent signs that get taken.

I made a sign one time that said:

Gerald: First in Flight

It also had a picture of North Carolina on it. It was taken. I was really puzzled by this.

Did anyone see Outside The Lines on Sunday? It talked about different student groups at schools and how they go too far sometimes. I know it's different for Duke but an attorney said that it is against a student's free speech for a public university to kick them out of a game for saying something vulgar, inappropriate, racist, etc. Very interesting.

DU82
03-11-2014, 07:34 AM
From what I read on another board, the Crazies were informed in writing that any signs referencing the academic scandal at UNC would not be permitted. Students who brought them would have them confiscated by stadium staff. Can anyone confirm, deny, or clarify if this is true? A milder version of the story that I heard was that ESPN simply chose not to air any crowd shots in which signs could be seen. The only one I saw during the broadcast was the MacAdoo Draft Stock sign (which was really good BTW). Some of the photos on Duke Blue Planet show a few signs, all of which were awesome, but I assumed that something was up when the entire stadium wasn't littered with signs eviscerating UNC's integrity.

I can't remember a situation in the past in which certain topics were prohibited, and definitely not in writing. At times Coach K has walked around the student section and asked the Crazies not to go after a certain player (Loren Woods comes to mind). And at other times the Crazies police themselves - I attended one game in which a group of students passed out plastic baggies filled with pretend marijuana, with the intent of mocking Maryland player Terrell Stokes, who had been charged with possession. But right before tip-off they decided against it, out of respect for what happened to Len Bias.

I'm hoping some current students and/or game attendees could explain what happened. Signs notwithstanding, the crowd was awesome and sounded loud as heck on TV.

I saw an usher take a "Free PJ" sign late in the game. But I also saw a sign with the "F" UNC jersey from the article in a recent magazine that was there all game in the end zone next to the band.

dukeENG2003
03-11-2014, 07:37 AM
My sign that simply read "Go to hell Carolina" with hell crossed out, and "class" written in, was taken at the door. I thought it was pretty ridiculous, but whatever. Take the signs, and the crazies can just respond like they do (I LOVED singing the ABC's at them during warmups, that was a nice touch).

That said, the undergrads smuggled in some amazing signs that escaped security. My favorites:

the gigantic picture of professor Nyang'Oro with "A+!!!!" on it
"Starting at mouthguard for UNC, Leslie McDonald!"
the picture of Butch Davis with duct tape over his mouth (with some dollar bills under the duct tape)
Eric Cartman's body (from South Park) with Kennedy Meeks head on it (this one would have made it in fine, I just thought it was hilarious).

Lord Ash
03-11-2014, 08:29 AM
I actually emailed someone in the athletic department with the same question... I am curious as to why this happened. If I get a response I'll share.

WakeDevil
03-11-2014, 08:34 AM
OP, that word does not mean what you think it means.

Lord Ash
03-11-2014, 10:13 AM
Just as an FYI, I got a prompt and polite email from an administrator in the athletic department saying that the news of signs being confiscated was news to him, especially given the signs that did show up... he specifically referenced the giant Julius head, saying in effect he thought it was a pretty effective one:)

Anyway... just thought I would pass that on. As always I am impressed by our athletic department folks, who have always been generous with their time when it comes to this particular alumnus.

DukeDevilDeb
03-11-2014, 10:18 AM
Just as an FYI, I got a prompt and polite email from an administrator in the athletic department saying that the news of signs being confiscated was news to him, especially given the signs that did show up... he specifically referenced the giant Julius head, saying in effect he thought it was a pretty effective one:)

Anyway... just thought I would pass that on. As always I am impressed by our athletic department folks, who have always been generous with their time when it comes to this particular alumnus.

... that made it in was CAN YOU READ THIS? :):rolleyes:

Kdogg
03-11-2014, 11:00 AM
Did anyone see Outside The Lines on Sunday? It talked about different student groups at schools and how they go too far sometimes. I know it's different for Duke but an attorney said that it is against a student's free speech for a public university to kick them out of a game for saying something vulgar, inappropriate, racist, etc. Very interesting.

That's been Maryland's reasoning/excuse/justification for allowing the vulgar anti-Duke shirts.

HaveFunExpectToWin
03-11-2014, 11:15 AM
As a fan of 6 year olds humor, I liked this one. So dumb.

sagegrouse
03-11-2014, 11:15 AM
I made a sign one time that said:

Gerald: First in Flight

It also had a picture of North Carolina on it. It was taken. I was really puzzled by this.

It's OK to listen to the general cousel in a a large organization like a university, but it is really dumb sometimes to follow his or her advice. Like in the Duke lacrosse hoax, or the problem with the Giuliani kid on/off the golf team. Like at College Park: kick out the misbehaving fans or the wearers of f*** JJ t-shirts and let the 20YOs decide to take legal action. Maryland could simply say it is complying with ACC regulations which govern its membership. I doubt the effing students would get the scratch together to hire a lawyer and, even then, find a sympathetic judge. "Hey, mom, I am not allowed to wear a 'F*** JJ' t-shirt. Can I have ten thousand to hire an attorney?"

Ah, well. It's the Big ten's problem.

devil84
03-11-2014, 11:23 AM

That's interesting. I watched no less than four signs that were chased down by the guys in the yellow jackets. They seemed to enjoy wadding them up in front of the Crazies once they got them. How the last one was confiscated was pretty funny. The students had caught on to the confiscation process, so they started passing the sign up to the back row and then to the center. It was moving fairly quickly. A stadium official waded into the mass of students (no small feat as it was PACKED) and emerged with the sign crumpled into a large ball.

Kudos to the students. Lots of creative signs! Many of these seemed to be printed on a large-format printer on heavy, glossy paper. Perhaps some program got a new printer and then on Monday, some poor admin assistant is trying to explain to the department head that more supplies need to be ordered as they all somehow disappeared.

UrinalCake
03-11-2014, 11:44 AM
My understanding is that ESPN was dictating the restrictions on signs, as the game was covered by their Game Day broadcast. I can certainly understand disallowing signs containing vulgarity or anything inappropriate for a general tv audience, but removing ALL signs seems excessive. Back in Gary Williams's heyday I created a giant cardboard cutout of a deodorant stick and had no problem bringing it in. Those were the days...

I did see the pic with a sign of the Dean Dome and the caption "North Carolina Center for kids who can't read good." That was a classic and belongs right up there with "A mind is a terrapin thing to waste" in the pantheon of signs.

CLT Devil
03-11-2014, 12:39 PM
I loved the one printed on the nice glossy paper that had full-bleed argyle similar to the pattern that runs down the sides of the UNC unis and read "Julians Is Overrated" - pretty obscure, as that is a small(ish) custom and high-end clothing store in CH that Roy gets his ugly blazers from, and who also designed the argyle in the current UNC uniform.

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-11-2014, 01:03 PM
I loved the one printed on the nice glossy paper that had full-bleed argyle similar to the pattern that runs down the sides of the UNC unis and read "Julians Is Overrated" - pretty obscure, as that is a small(ish) custom and high-end clothing store in CH that Roy gets his ugly blazers from, and who also designed the argyle in the current UNC uniform.
Certainly, one may take that view of Alexander Julian's work and the family's retail store on Franklin St., but his success as a designer of clothing and home furnishings can't be denied whether the styles fit one's taste or not. We have Julian's to thank for introducing Madras prints in American fashions, an element enjoying renewed popularity of late.

buddy
03-11-2014, 01:19 PM

Public universities are covered by the First Amendment, as instumentalities of the government. Duke is not a public institution, so presumably they are not so bound. (Interesting argument--does the extensive amount of federal money that Duke receives change this calculus, but that is for another time.) The First Amendment also protects freedom of association. ESPN and others would be perfectly within their rights to tell Maryland of any other public institution that if they condone profanity and general boorishness, that they won't get on TV. And the ACC (and other conferences) likely would be within their rights to adopt reasonable codes of conduct.

And I expect there are Maryland alums who would defend the yahoos pro bono, and probably win in a Maryland court.

Dev11
03-11-2014, 01:47 PM
My understanding is that ESPN was dictating the restrictions on signs, as the game was covered by their Game Day broadcast. I can certainly understand disallowing signs containing vulgarity or anything inappropriate for a general tv audience, but removing ALL signs seems excessive. Back in Gary Williams's heyday I created a giant cardboard cutout of a deodorant stick and had no problem bringing it in. Those were the days...

I did see the pic with a sign of the Dean Dome and the caption "North Carolina Center for kids who can't read good." That was a classic and belongs right up there with "A mind is a terrapin thing to waste" in the pantheon of signs.

ESPN lets plenty of questionable material fly during College Game Day, particularly for football.

hurleyfor3
03-11-2014, 01:55 PM
All the major sports leagues have fan codes of conduct that prohibit vulgar language, disorderly conduct and the like. Many stadiums are owned by the public (cities or stadium authorities). I'm not aware of a fan getting thrown out of a game and successfully challenging it on First Amendment rights. Baseball umpires, in particular, have a long-established authority to eject fans.

Vincetaylor
03-11-2014, 02:19 PM
Coach K is the main censor of the Cameron Crazies. He might not have been the reason why certain signs were taken on Saturday, but he is very quick to put an end to many potential offensive cheers by the fans, as well as some not so offensive ones. He let it slide in the 80s when the fans were at their best and most creative. Some of the stuff they did back then was inappropriate and mean, but a lot of it was just good natured joking around. It seems like hardly anything is tolerated these days and that has really limited the "Crazy" from the Cameron Crazies.

dukechem
03-11-2014, 04:02 PM
I strongly dislike something that seems to be becoming a fad in many stadiums, i.e. a large poster of the head of some player or coach being waved about in the crowd. I don't recall seeing it in Cameron before Saturday, and I didn't pay attention to who the heads were. I assumed that the heads were supporting the home team, but it's interesting that Nyang'oro's head was on display Saturday according to a post above.

Besides blocking the view of the people behind the signs, they remind me of the large displays of the "Great Leader" in some dictatorship or cult of personality. I like to watch the team perform, and I don't like to see one or two players or even the coach put above the team.

I'm not against modest signs supporting individual players, but the big heads just seem to me to be placing too much emphasis on the individual in what is a team sport.

rasputin
03-11-2014, 04:05 PM
Coach K is the main censor of the Cameron Crazies. He might not have been the reason why certain signs were taken on Saturday, but he is very quick to put an end to many potential offensive cheers by the fans, as well as some not so offensive ones. He let it slide in the 80s when the fans were at their best and most creative. Some of the stuff they did back then was inappropriate and mean, but a lot of it was just good natured joking around. It seems like hardly anything is tolerated these days and that has really limited the "Crazy" from the Cameron Crazies.

The morning after the "FU JJ" chants at Maryland, I e-mailed the Maryland chancellor or president stating what had happened and that it was disgraceful. I was a bit surprised to get a response; it was from the AD or Assistant AD who said all the right things, yeah, that made us look bad, etc., but then also parroting the excuse that as a public university they are powerless to stop it. Some of my law practice concerns First Amendment stuff but I decided not to call him on that. Instead, I wrote back saying that, even if you think you are legally powerless to do anything, at a minimum, Coach Williams could have grabbed the courtside microphone and admonish the kids to knock it off, as Coach K has done. The response from Maryland: crickets.

Furniture
03-11-2014, 04:32 PM
I think Coach works with Energy, passion and with respect for the individual. Regardless of what he may think privately about what UNC has done in the past he thinks his staff an his players should play with energy and passion but at the same time respect the kids and the coaching staff from 8 miles up the road.
It seems that he would also like the same thing from the fan base.

sagegrouse
03-11-2014, 05:09 PM
I think Coach works with Energy, passion and with respect for the individual. Regardless of what he may think privately about what UNC has done in the past he thinks his staff an his players should play with energy and passion but at the same time respect the kids and the coaching staff from 8 miles up the road.
It seems that he would also like the same thing from the fan base.

With K these days it is a different situation. After 34 years at Duke, everything about Duke basketball reflects on him as well as on Duke. Moreover, he has coached the U.S. National Team for over seven years. So, anything that happens in Cameron reflects indirectly on USA Basketball and the players who represent us.

throatybeard
03-11-2014, 06:11 PM
I hate to do this, y'all, but cuddle up to the radio while Dr Throatybeard gives you a little Cameron 101.

You don't attempt to get the dirty sign past the ushers. You carry a sharpie in your garments and a blank poster, and then you write the slogan only once you're safely inside.

Better yet, you use a dry erase board, which you can re-purpose over and over. Other props can be smuggled in, scotch tape, prophylactics to tape to the sign.

Not that anyone would or should do such things.

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-11-2014, 06:19 PM
I hate to do this, y'all, but cuddle up to the radio while Dr Throatybeard gives you a little Cameron 101.

You don't attempt to get the dirty sign past the ushers. You carry a sharpie in your garments and a blank poster, and then you write the slogan only once you're safely inside.

Better yet, you use a dry erase board, which you can re-purpose over and over. Other props can be smuggled in, scotch tape, prophylactics to tape to the sign.

Not that anyone would or should do such things.
And if they don't like a blank poster, there are two sides upon which one can write/draw... hint hint ;)

rasputin
03-11-2014, 06:24 PM
And if they don't like a blank poster, there are two sides upon which one can write/draw... hint hint ;)

Like one side that says "We sail with the Pilot," and the other that says "Pilot Life Sucks"?

-jk
03-11-2014, 06:44 PM
Like one side that says "We sail with the Pilot," and the other that says "Pilot Life Sucks"?

I think that ship has sailed...

-jk

JetpackJesus
03-11-2014, 08:09 PM

We were specifically asked not to go after Darryl Strawberry, Jr. I don't recall the specifics of how the request was made, but it was definitely made (in writing, IIRC). I do not know, however, whether that request came from the Athletics Dept. or if it was merely the Line Monitors trying to prevent some potentially questionable decisions.

Indoor66
03-12-2014, 07:20 AM
I think that ship has sailed...

-jk

And it had the Pilot on board.

OldPhiKap
03-12-2014, 07:49 AM
Suddenly, I miss Dinah Shore.

CameronBornAndBred
03-12-2014, 08:51 AM
I strongly dislike something that seems to be becoming a fad in many stadiums, i.e. a large poster of the head of some player or coach being waved about in the crowd. I don't recall seeing it in Cameron before Saturday, and I didn't pay attention to who the heads were. I assumed that the heads were supporting the home team, but it's interesting that Nyang'oro's head was on display Saturday according to a post above.

I loathe those posters, and the large spinning wheels ones. To me, the person bringing that thing into the stadium is a total wanker and has no respect for anyone in the stadium behind him. How would like to be in the stands behind the basket, the game is on the line and hinges on the next free throw, and the only way that you know if it went in or not is the people next to you erupt in cheering or silence.
I get that it is distracting, but so are guys in speedos.

B-well
03-12-2014, 09:18 AM
Certainly, one may take that view of Alexander Julian's work and the family's retail store on Franklin St., but his success as a designer of clothing and home furnishings can't be denied whether the styles fit one's taste or not. We have Julian's to thank for introducing Madras prints in American fashions, an element enjoying renewed popularity of late.

Too bad Alexander Julian doesn't have more influence on the wardrobe of Sylvia Hatchell.

devil84
03-12-2014, 09:43 AM
I loathe those posters, and the large spinning wheels ones. To me, the person bringing that thing into the stadium is a total wanker and has no respect for anyone in the stadium behind him. How would like to be in the stands behind the basket, the game is on the line and hinges on the next free throw, and the only way that you know if it went in or not is the people next to you erupt in cheering or silence.
I get that it is distracting, but so are guys in speedos.

If only the spectators were bringing in those large spinning wheels and severed heads. Many are provided by the school, network, or other advertising sponsors.

Like you, CB&B, I prefer the distractions that still allow others to see (at least as well as one can see when packed like sardines into the bleachers). And I love the handmade posters with witty sayings, provided the people holding them don't block the people behind them at every possible time they could get their sign on TV. And with the game on the line, holding a sign means you're not clapping...put the sign down and make as much noise as possible!

Stray Gator
03-12-2014, 09:50 AM

There may be some aspect of madras in American fashions for which Alexander Julian can be credited, but cotton madras plaids woven in India (often referred to as "bleeding madras" because the colors would run slightly when washed) was a widely popular fabric used for shirts, shorts, sport coats, ties, and other garments and accessories in the early 1960s, when I was in junior high and high school. Since Alexander Julian is the same age as me, I don't think that he could have been responsible for introducing madras as a popular American clothing fashion. But I applaud whoever gets credit for the revival of madras, because my affinity for madras shirts has never waned, even though they were difficult to find until recently -- living in Florida, I've enjoyed wearing them for decades and have more than a dozen hanging in my closet even now.

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-12-2014, 10:16 AM
There may be some aspect of madras in American fashions for which Alexander Julian can be credited, but cotton madras plaids woven in India (often referred to as "bleeding madras" because the colors would run slightly when washed) was a widely popular fabric used for shirts, shorts, sport coats, ties, and other garments and accessories in the early 1960s, when I was in junior high and high school. Since Alexander Julian is the same age as me, I don't think that he could have been responsible for introducing madras as a popular American clothing fashion. But I applaud whoever gets credit for the revival of madras, because my affinity for madras shirts has never waned, even though they were difficult to find until recently -- living in Florida, I've enjoyed wearing them for decades and have more than a dozen hanging in my closet even now.

It's Alexander Julian's father, Maurice, who is responsible for introducing Madras prints in his store. The original store was opened in 1942. long before Alexander Julian, the designer, became well known. Julian's College Shop, Maurice's store, was a pacesetter for men's fashions in the southeast for years. The Ivy League look first appeared in Julian's College Shop.

77devil
03-12-2014, 11:03 AM

Indian madras was a preppie staple back in the day. I wore a madras sports coat behind Lefty in CIS with the first group of skull caps. Hope there are no pictures to be found. Some things are better left in the moment than as an artifact.

sagegrouse
03-12-2014, 11:13 AM
It's Alexander Julian's father, Maurice, who is responsible for introducing Madras prints in his store. The original store was opened in 1942. long before Alexander Julian, the designer, became well known. Julian's College Shop, Maurice's store, was a pacesetter for men's fashions in the southeast for years. The Ivy League look first appeared in Julian's College Shop.

The role of the U. North Carolina and Duke in young men's fashion was so great that, back in my day [gasp!], a major department store chain flew four students from each school to a brainstorming and fashion discussion in Chicago. Fashion trends (Bass weejuns and Gant shirts, anyone?) seemed to begin there and spread throughout the country.

IMHO (where the H is silent) the trends actually began in Chapel Hill, but the Duke students were instrumental in spreading to New Jersey and other stereotypical locations. I know this is disloyal, but my friend who attended the event in Chicago said the UNC reps were 100 percent solid on every single choice presented (square buckle, round buckle, etc.), much more so than the Dukies.

Who was to know that within five or six years every campus in America would be in total upheaval, and "fashions" became utterly passe?

Tom B.
03-12-2014, 11:13 AM

Besides blocking the view of the people behind the signs, they remind me of the large displays of the "Great Leader" in some dictatorship or cult of personality. I like to watch the team perform, and I don't like to see one or two players or even the coach put above the team.

I'm not against modest signs supporting individual players, but the big heads just seem to me to be placing too much emphasis on the individual in what is a team sport.

I don't think any of the big heads held up at the game last Saturday were individual players. In addition to Nyang'oro, there were mega-heads of Mary Willingham, Butch Davis and Fats Thomas. Normally I'm like you and don't care for the big heads, but in this case I think we can make an exception. :)

El_Diablo
03-12-2014, 05:16 PM
We had big player heads in 2012 based on the roster photos, but those were not student-made. I believe ESPN GameDay made and distributed them. Or maybe someone from Duke Athletics made them. Either way, they were distributed to the students as part of the mid-day GameDay special, collected after the special, and then redistributed at random before the game started.

The ones this year were different (e.g., Willingham and a snarling Marshall Plumlee) and were undoubtedly student-made, although there might have also been a few holdovers from the 2012 crop mixed in.

EDIT: The 2012 ones also included the GameDay crew, which is why I suspect ESPN made them. The Hubert Davis one was slightly vandalized after being given to the students.

throatybeard
03-12-2014, 07:40 PM
People think Dean's so brilliant for inventing the four corners. You know what's true genius? Alexander Julian invented the square.

alteran
03-12-2014, 08:19 PM
Too bad Alexander Julian doesn't have more influence on the wardrobe of Sylvia Hatchell.
Who says he doesn't?

Indoor66
03-13-2014, 02:05 PM

Milton's clothing store in Chapel Hill and at Northgate Shopping Center in Durham (for a few years) was Milton Julian - I believe Maurice's estranged brother.

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-13-2014, 02:24 PM
Milton's clothing store in Chapel Hill and at Northgate Shopping Center in Durham (for a few years) was Milton Julian - I believe Maurice's estranged brother.
That sounds right.