PDA

View Full Version : Panthers Off-Season

Dukehky
03-10-2014, 11:40 PM
If the Panthers get rid of Steve Smith this off-season, who will join me and go harass Dave Gettleman, Paris Mob Style?

fuse
03-11-2014, 08:27 AM
If the Panthers get rid of Steve Smith this off-season, who will join me and go harass Dave Gettleman, Paris Mob Style?

I'm in :-)

The only thing that could possibly make that a good decision is if the Panthers make a deal for Calvin Johnson, or trade up to get Sammy Watkins.
I don't see the Panthers doing either.

Lots of gaps the Panthers need to fill, and players to keep. I'm expecting a step back next season unless Gettleman works some magic.

Matches
03-11-2014, 11:14 AM
I cannot get my head around the rationale for releasing Smitty. Clearly he is past his prime but he remains a very useful receiver, especially on 3rd down, amidst a receiving corp that is otherwise not particularly good. Why exactly do we want rid of this guy, and why are we making such a public spectacle of wanting him gone?

fuse
03-11-2014, 07:08 PM
Productive day so far....lost special teams/LB Senn to Chicago and Mike Mitchell (who we needed to keep) to Pittsburgh.

Worst rumour of the day? Smith getting cut and ending up on the Saints.

BD80
03-11-2014, 10:27 PM
Productive day so far....lost special teams/LB Senn to Chicago and Mike Mitchell (who we needed to keep) to Pittsburgh. ...

As a Steeler fan, is this a good move for the Steelers? A concern is that Mitchell's success is a product of a great Panther pass rush.

Newton_14
03-11-2014, 10:45 PM
I'm in :-)

The only thing that could possibly make that a good decision is if the Panthers make a deal for Calvin Johnson, or trade up to get Sammy Watkins.
I don't see the Panthers doing either.

Lots of gaps the Panthers need to fill, and players to keep. I'm expecting a step back next season unless Gettleman works some magic.

Me too. Stupid move.

moonpie23
03-12-2014, 11:20 AM

i'm in……all we need to complete our jedi failure is to see smitty in a patriots' uni

Dukehky
03-12-2014, 03:10 PM
Okay guys. It looks like it's over. Smitty and his agent have both said he will not play for the Carolina Panthers again. Evidently this isn't money or performance based, they just want a change of leadership in the locker-room. This is Ron Rivera and Dave Gettleman playing the one year of credit that they've earned with me... Better make it count.

Love you Smitty, 89 is going up in B o A the second you retire.

moonpie23
03-12-2014, 04:57 PM
Okay guys. It looks like it's over. Smitty and his agent have both said he will not play for the Carolina Panthers again. Evidently this isn't money or performance based, they just want a change of leadership in the locker-room. This is Ron Rivera and Dave Gettleman playing the one year of credit that they've earned with me... Better make it count.

Love you Smitty, 89 is going up in B o A the second you retire.

worse mistake since ......umm.....since......forever....

JNort
03-12-2014, 10:09 PM
Love Smitty and the way he has handled this situation. I understand the why but I don't like it. Cutting Smith will save a good bit of money but I only think it's a good move if we use that money for someone productive rather than 3 backup oline guys. To me losing Mitchell is a bigger blow

JNort
03-12-2014, 10:11 PM
As a Steeler fan, is this a good move for the Steelers? A concern is that Mitchell's success is a product of a great Panther pass rush.

Very good move on the Steelers part. Mitchell is I'd say average in pass coverage but he is a great tackler and an amazing motivator. He is super vocal and passionate. Great get for us this past year

fuse
03-13-2014, 06:20 PM
And Ted Ginn, Jr is gone.

Who is Cam going to throw to, himself? Maybe the Panthers will run the wishbone next year.

If I'm Cam, I'm not re-signing with Charlotte. What a mess.

fuse
03-13-2014, 06:25 PM
Next- Captain Munnerlyn to Vikings. Wow, ouch. I sure hope Gettleman has some magic tricks up his sleeve.

Acymetric
03-13-2014, 06:32 PM
Does anyone have the figure of how much cap room we've got right now?

fuse
03-13-2014, 06:50 PM
Does anyone have the figure of how much cap room we've got right now?

Before the mass exodus, we were -$5.5m. Probably means we're a dollar under the cap now.

Acymetric
03-13-2014, 09:34 PM
Before the mass exodus, we were -$5.5m. Probably means we're a dollar under the cap now.

And all we need is three wide receivers (or two top tier quality), 1 or more defensive backs, and a couple o-linemen to field a remotely competitive team. What's not to like?

Dukehky
03-13-2014, 09:57 PM
I see what Gettleman is doing here. Gonna see what we have with Marvin McNutt, the 7th string WR. We're going to ride our over-paid, oft injured, aging, 100 million dollar backfield, with no offensive line to speak of rather than Kalil.

We'll sign somebody in the secondary to make our defense good again, which will keep all the games close.

However, this is all in an effort to make Cam's numbers and wins drop dramatically so that his asking price drops considerably, because all his passing yards will be to Olson or screens to Tolbert, probably giving him 800 yards for the season. We won't be able to score except with our $4million dollar a year kicker that we just signed. So it makes him seem like he's worth the money. Oh we also resigned Derek Anderson, who is way more essential to the make-up of the team than Steve Smith. Because "this is my job, it's not funny, what's funny!???"

Gettleman, you sly dog, I see what you're doing. Gotta get up pretty early in the morning to slip one past the old HKY. This had seriously better work out. We have no offensive weapons right now. Maybe Gettleman wants AJ McCarron or Kirk Cousins so he's going to run force the coaches to run Cam like Jordan Lynch for NIU.

I had faith in the new GM, who is still cleaning up Hurney's mess, but he's is losing his cache right now. Even if cutting Smith was defendable financially, he handled it terribly, and Smith doesn't deserve that.

Ice up son.

Acymetric
03-13-2014, 10:23 PM
I see what Gettleman is doing here. Gonna see what we have with Marvin McNutt, the 7th string WR. We're going to ride our over-paid, oft injured, aging, 100 million dollar backfield, with no offensive line to speak of rather than Kalil.

We'll sign somebody in the secondary to make our defense good again, which will keep all the games close.

However, this is all in an effort to make Cam's numbers and wins drop dramatically so that his asking price drops considerably, because all his passing yards will be to Olson or screens to Tolbert, probably giving him 800 yards for the season. We won't be able to score except with our $4million dollar a year kicker that we just signed. So it makes him seem like he's worth the money. Oh we also resigned Derek Anderson, who is way more essential to the make-up of the team than Steve Smith. Because "this is my job, it's not funny, what's funny!???"

Gettleman, you sly dog, I see what you're doing. Gotta get up pretty early in the morning to slip one past the old HKY. This had seriously better work out. We have no offensive weapons right now. Maybe Gettleman wants AJ McCarron or Kirk Cousins so he's going to run force the coaches to run Cam like Jordan Lynch for NIU.

I had faith in the new GM, who is still cleaning up Hurney's mess, but he's is losing his cache right now. Even if cutting Smith was defendable financially, he handled it terribly, and Smith doesn't deserve that.

Ice up son.

Exactly. I wouldn't have been completely upset with letting go of Smith if it was handled with a shred of the class that the best player in franchise history deserved. I'll be pulling for Smith to have a great year next year, no doubt, but even if it turns out that he's washed up and doesn't do much of anything next year I still won't be happy with this situation. Do wish he wouldn't go to the Ravens though, something just makes it hard for me to pull for them generally.

Dukehky
03-13-2014, 10:48 PM
Exactly. I wouldn't have been completely upset with letting go of Smith if it was handled with a shred of the class that the best player in franchise history deserved. I'll be pulling for Smith to have a great year next year, no doubt, but even if it turns out that he's washed up and doesn't do much of anything next year I still won't be happy with this situation. Do wish he wouldn't go to the Ravens though, something just makes it hard for me to pull for them generally.

Better the Ravens than the Bucs who are also interested in him apparently. He will go for 200 yards against us even though TB doesn't have a QB. Guts and Blood man, Guts and Blood (he said that in an interview, that's what would happen if he played against Carolina again).

Acymetric
03-13-2014, 10:52 PM
Better the Ravens than the Bucs who are also interested in him apparently. He will go for 200 yards against us even though TB doesn't have a QB. Guts and Blood man, Guts and Blood (he said that in an interview, that's what would happen if he played against Carolina again).

Yep, I saw that. "Put on your goggles."

moonpie23
03-14-2014, 10:46 AM
maybe cam can catch it as well...

DukeHLM'13
03-14-2014, 09:50 PM
My only question...now that we've let several significant free agents walk away from the team, as well as cutting Smith, when are we going to start signing some people? I'm all for upgrading the receiving corps (not cutting Smith, though), but right now there are what, 2 receivers on the roster, and neither of them have ever contributed anything. And so far upgrading the secondary had consisted of letting a starter walk away. Its getting near time to start signing and stop watching from the sidelines of free agency.

The draft is certainly going to be interesting.

Highlander
03-16-2014, 08:57 PM
So from what I understand, cutting Smith saved a whopping $1M in salary cap dollars. The Panthers still owe him like $5M in guaranteed money over the next two years. This was not about money; this was about changing the guard. Still, why not cut Stewart instead of Smitty? JStew has done next to nothing for years and is injury prone.

The Panthers now have gaping holes all over the place. No starting left guard, no secondary, and no receivers who have caught more than 1 NFL pass in their entire careers. Can't plug all of those through the draft. But hey, at least we are going to pay $13M to keep Greg Hardy for one more year.

I have heard that Gettleman likes to wait until the second week of free agency to make moves because the prices drop, but with 70 guys signed already and an extra $10M for the cap this year, things are pretty well picked over. Good luck, my friend.

I think next year is going to be a looooooong season for the Cats.

fuse
03-16-2014, 09:05 PM
So from what I understand, cutting Smith saved a whopping $1M in salary cap dollars. The Panthers still owe him like $5M in guaranteed money over the next two years. This was not about money; this was about changing the guard. Still, why not cut Stewart instead of Smitty? JStew has done next to nothing for years and is injury prone.

The Panthers now have gaping holes all over the place. No starting left guard, no secondary, and no receivers who have caught more than 1 NFL pass in their entire careers. Can't plug all of those through the draft. But hey, at least we are going to pay $13M to keep Greg Hardy for one more year.

I have heard that Gettleman likes to wait until the second week of free agency to make moves because the prices drop, but with 70 guys signed already and an extra $10M for the cap this year, things are pretty well picked over. Good luck, my friend.

I think next year is going to be a looooooong season for the Cats.

Your last sentence says it all, I'm afraid.

moonpie23
03-18-2014, 11:02 PM
cats announcing TODAY that cam is having surgery on his ankle....

coulda been right after the pro bowl, but he(they) put it off.....

Dukehky
03-20-2014, 03:42 PM
Jericho Cotchery, number 1 WR... Whoo Hoo

duke74
03-20-2014, 11:09 PM

Loved him with my Jets. Wish we had him back. Good option for Sanchez and seemed to be a good person....

Highlander
03-20-2014, 11:10 PM

So we paid $5M to get Cotchery, while we are still paying Smith $5M in guaranteed $. Assuming Cotchery gets $2.5M a year roughly, I think it's safe to say that the $ is a wash with what we would have paid Smith ($7M to Smith vs. $5M to Smith plus $2.5M to Cotchery).

So I pose the question - is Cotchery an upgrade over Smith? I'm not so sure. He definitely caught more TD's last year, but Smith had about 100 more yards. They both seem to be more short yardage guys at this point in their career. Given what he's done for the franchise, I would have stuck with Smith, but I'm not the GM.

fuse
03-21-2014, 06:39 AM
So we paid $5M to get Cotchery, while we are still paying Smith $5M in guaranteed $. Assuming Cotchery gets $2.5M a year roughly, I think it's safe to say that the $ is a wash with what we would have paid Smith ($7M to Smith vs. $5M to Smith plus $2.5M to Cotchery).

So I pose the question - is Cotchery an upgrade over Smith? I'm not so sure. He definitely caught more TD's last year, but Smith had about 100 more yards. They both seem to be more short yardage guys at this point in their career. Given what he's done for the franchise, I would have stuck with Smith, but I'm not the GM.

IMO, the short answer is no.

This is Gettleman putting his stamp on the team("the new guard").
I get they need to pay Kuechly and Newton but it does not good if they can't afford any other talent.

In a somewhat related topic, Devin Hester going to Atlanta. Ugh.