PDA

View Full Version : Which ACC team will go farthest in the NCAA tourney?

UrinalCake
03-10-2014, 10:06 AM
Curious as to which team you guys think will go the farthest. Seeding will of course play a role, and each of these teams could probably be seeded between 2 and 4 depending on whether they lose their next game or win the ACCT. But based on what you know now, which team would you pick?

If we'd asked this two days ago a lot of our fans would be pretty down on Duke's chances. A solid performance has brightened the outlook, but we still do have weaknesses - guard play and interior defense - that are pretty vital to tournament success. Still, if we shoot well we can beat anyone. If we shoot even average (for us), we can still beat a really good team.

UVA has the best record even with their late slip-up against Maryland. Their solid defense is a huge asset in the tourney. But they also haven't beaten a signature team out of conference and have benefitted from an easy conference schedule.

Syracuse is in a free fall but I believe they get Grant back and maybe they've gotten past their "slump."

UNC has a guy in Paige who can potentially take a game over. Their defense is also good (even though we beat them up) and guys know their roles. So you definitely can't count them out.

mgtr
03-10-2014, 10:18 AM
OK, Duke is my first choice, for obvious reasons. Syracuse, however, is my second choice. My reasoning is that a) they have beaten some good teams, b) they have been there before, and c) they have their whole team back.

FerryFor50
03-10-2014, 10:31 AM
DANG IT!!!!

I picked UNC. But I didn't mean to. Can someone unvote me and let me pick Duke?

hurleyfor3
03-10-2014, 10:33 AM
I think it'll come down to us and uva. Roy doesn't give a crap and Syracuse... they've been inconsistent and I'm not sure how much they really care. I'd be interested to hear what kinds of fanbases Cise and Pitt bring down and what they're like. I could see a couple of lower-seeded teams making it to Saturday.

Our best is better than uva's best, but uva has been more consistent, so who knows.

Fun fact about unc: In the last 15 years they've won zero ACC Championships without Tyler Hansbrough.

BlueDevilBrowns
03-10-2014, 10:49 AM
Curious as to which team you guys think will go the farthest. Seeding will of course play a role, and each of these teams could probably be seeded between 2 and 4 depending on whether they lose their next game or win the ACCT. But based on what you know now, which team would you pick?

If we'd asked this two days ago a lot of our fans would be pretty down on Duke's chances. A solid performance has brightened the outlook, but we still do have weaknesses - guard play and interior defense - that are pretty vital to tournament success. Still, if we shoot well we can beat anyone. If we shoot even average (for us), we can still beat a really good team.

UVA has the best record even with their late slip-up against Maryland. Their solid defense is a huge asset in the tourney. But they also haven't beaten a signature team out of conference and have benefitted from an easy conference schedule.

Syracuse is in a free fall but I believe they get Grant back and maybe they've gotten past their "slump."

UNC has a guy in Paige who can potentially take a game over. Their defense is also good (even though we beat them up) and guys know their roles. So you definitely can't count them out.

I think it'll come down to us and uva. Roy doesn't give a crap and Syracuse... they've been inconsistent and I'm not sure how much they really care. I'd be interested to hear what kinds of fanbases Cise and Pitt bring down and what they're like. I could see a couple of lower-seeded teams making it to Saturday.

Our best is better than uva's best, but uva has been more consistent, so who knows.

Fun fact about unc: In the last 15 years they've won zero ACC Championships without Tyler Hansbrough.

Just to clarify, I'm assuming the OP meant the NCAAT and not the ACCT, correct?

I figured that's why the title said "Furthest ACC Team" because, of course, to be in the ACCT, you have to be an ACC team to begin with.

I'm picking Duke because that's my team, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the 'Cuse advanced the farthest.

FUN FACT: Since 1979, 24 out of 34 possible FF's, at least one of the FF teams has been a returning FF team from the previous year, and every NCAAT since 2007 has had at least 1 FF team return the next year.

hurleyfor3
03-10-2014, 10:57 AM
Just to clarify, I'm assuming the OP meant the NCAAT and not the ACCT, correct?

This is a rather pointless poll then. No one knows the matchups, there's a week of basketball left to be played and this is DBR so everyone's gonna pick Duke.

UrinalCake
03-10-2014, 11:11 AM
Yeah, I meant the NCAA tournament. The wording of my poll question was atrocious. Sorry about that.

And of course this poll is pointless! That's what makes it fun.

Hurley, this is for you:

hurleyfor3
03-10-2014, 11:13 AM
If only it were possible to change the thread and poll title! Oh wait.

UrinalCake
03-10-2014, 11:16 AM
If only it were possible to change the thread and poll title! Oh wait.

I actually don't see a way to do that.

UrinalCake
03-10-2014, 11:22 AM

hurleyfor3
03-10-2014, 11:22 AM
I actually don't see a way to do that.

But I do :p

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3993&d=1394464910

Jarhead
03-10-2014, 11:30 AM
Based on my post in another thread, the one that polled the question of our final ACC record, my vote calls up the mojo for Duke.

My guess was 14-4 which seems to be within the standard deviation. What that means is that our expectations were met. Next year I'll know better. I'll predict a much better ACC season. If we all do that, the team will, too. Okay?http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/wizard.gif

CDu
03-10-2014, 02:17 PM
I'll abstain from voting until we know who gets what seed/matchups/locations. Otherwise it is just throwing darts at a dartboard and seeing what sticks.

Edouble
03-10-2014, 02:19 PM

The team that goes farthest will be playing in either Spokane or San Diego.

The team that goes furthest may be hanging a banner in October.

gus
03-10-2014, 02:36 PM

that's the funny thing -- with the final four in Texas this year, the team that goes furthest will likey also go farthest.

dukelifer
03-10-2014, 02:55 PM
I'll abstain from voting until we know who gets what seed/matchups/locations. Otherwise it is just throwing darts at a dartboard and seeing what sticks.

I am assuming that the selection committee will do everything to give us horrible matchup including going West and UNC will be given a path of least resistance with Villanova as their 1 seed.

BD80
03-10-2014, 04:43 PM

Thank you. Very, very much.

Is there an emoticon for absolute sincerity?

brevity
03-10-2014, 04:48 PM

Etiquette question: when Carolina loses to a non-Duke team in the NCAAs, are they still sent to Hell? Because that would be slightly farther than Spokane.

bbosbbos
03-10-2014, 04:59 PM
I think Duke will win all. Not because we are better, just because I am a Dukie.